Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (11) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »
Jan 14, 2018 12:15 PM
Jan 2018
It was a happy ending because AKIRA arrived in the afterlife purgatory heaven with loved ones within a collective conscious. he cracked a big smile of joy and peace no longer possessed by entity amon
Jan 14, 2018 1:41 PM
Jan 2017
Overall I give the show a 6 it does some things better than 72 manga but drops flat in other areas. For one the overabundance of sex scenes were not needed just come off as shock factor it’s almost if the creators were afraid modern audience wouldn’t be entertained or be able to keep their attention otherwise. In turn makes it less focused than the manga.

As for the art and animation it works in some areas and doesn’t it just looks plain ugly in some scenes. The biggest impact is the on the demons designs as they lack the evil and sinister look of Go Nagi’s art even compared to the original OVA the yellow gore didn’t help either.

One biggest problems with anime is Ryo character doesn’t work in Devilman Crybaby as tries to use the similar events and story of the 1972 Devilman, but adds this new personality. Manga Ryo was supportive, desperate, and human and even with his pessimistic view on humans. He was believable and relatable. Akira had reasons to trust him.

In this new version Ryo openly films him, commits several murders, threatens to kill Miki, hacks several people's phones and stalks them, wants Akira's help to out the demons on national television. Doesn’t make any sense in the anime for Akira to trust him he’s total psychopath there’s no balance to him. This makes the reveal less impactful as you know from the get go Ryo behind these events in some way. His backstory is convoluted seemed to be no end game for his plans against humanity it just sort happened.

As for the ending Ryo him confessing his love for Akira he doesn’t really learn anything or change he still coming from a selfish point of view it’s about Akira and nothing else. Satan in the manga realized the magnitude of his actions even preceding to humble himself (keep mind his deity which makes it such a powerful scene) by calling himself an idiot and hypocrite. Even with Akira changes his character still works with the plotline. They dropped the ball on Ryo.

Overall the manga is still better and gets its message across much clearly and is focused touches on more themes. Though it’s still a decent adaption.
Temujin26SJan 15, 2018 1:05 AM
Jan 14, 2018 3:58 PM

Jun 2014
that ending tho... oh my god. ryo why did u just finally realize a done fucked up? it pains me that he was finally able to feel emotions UNTIL he started an apocalypse. okay :/

anywayss, definitely one of my fav anime now. i would consider re-watching this uhh like.... 10 times...

9.69/10
no wait
10/10

does anyone think there will be another spin-off or anything of the sort? i need.
staticnoiseJan 14, 2018 4:01 PM

s t a t i c n o i s e

Jan 14, 2018 4:12 PM

Oct 2014
Binged this Yesterday.

Better then the original manga, IMO.

Jan 14, 2018 9:43 PM
Oct 2016
MrHawky said:
deku2 said:
So I never read Devilman and went in watching this anime completely blind... It ripped my heart in half and tore it into pieces lmao that was absolute mindfuckery, in the best way possible. I wasn't expecting Ryo to be Satan and that end /end/ with Akira torn in half... I have to admit it did felt bit rushed (both 9 and 10, a lot happened in just two episodes) but it all came together nicely in the end
10/10 to be honest

The only thing that I didn't completely understand, did the world like "reset" at the final scene? Because that was the feeling I got.

Not sure, but I think the moons are the previous earths, because in the first info dump where we see the demon earth there was no moon present (I seem to remember it that way), so after the earth faced destruction the first time it became a moon and a new one took its place. That's what happened here, pretty sure.

I don’t think that’s it. They showed the moon being cut in half by one of the attacks, so I assumed that those two half’s formed 2 new moons. I could be wrong though
Jan 15, 2018 3:12 AM
Apr 2014
Temujin26S said:
Overall I give the show a 6 it does some things better than 72 manga but drops flat in other areas. For one the overabundance of sex scenes were not needed just come off as shock factor it’s almost if the creators were afraid modern audience wouldn’t be entertained or be able to keep their attention otherwise. In turn makes it less focused than the manga.

As for the art and animation it works in some areas and doesn’t it just looks plain ugly in some scenes. The biggest impact is the on the demons designs as they lack the evil and sinister look of Go Nagi’s art even compared to the original OVA the yellow gore didn’t help either.

One biggest problems with anime is Ryo character doesn’t work in Devilman Crybaby as tries to use the similar events and story of the 1972 Devilman, but adds this new personality. Manga Ryo was supportive, desperate, and human and even with his pessimistic view on humans. He was believable and relatable. Akira had reasons to trust him.

In this new version Ryo openly films him, commits several murders, threatens to kill Miki, hacks several people's phones and stalks them, wants Akira's help to out the demons on national television. Doesn’t make any sense in the anime for Akira to trust him he’s total psychopath there’s no balance to him. This makes the reveal less impactful as you know from the get go Ryo behind these events in some way. His backstory is convoluted seemed to be no end game for his plans against humanity it just sort happened.

As for the ending Ryo him confessing his love for Akira he doesn’t really learn anything or change he still coming from a selfish point of view it’s about Akira and nothing else. Satan in the manga realized the magnitude of his actions even preceding to humble himself (keep mind his deity which makes it such a powerful scene) by calling himself an idiot and hypocrite. Even with Akira changes his character still works with the plotline. They dropped the ball on Ryo.

Overall the manga is still better and gets its message across much clearly and is focused touches on more themes. Though it’s still a decent adaption.

So out of all the intelligent discussion in this forum I think your comment nails it in some places, if not in others. If it makes any sense, I preferred the characterisation of anime Ryo, cause he just didn't have enough of that in the OG manga for readers to really care all that much, but I vastly prefer the character of manga Ryo. I gave the anime more than a six because Ryo is the only character I really have this problem with (okay, maybe aside from Miki being turned into a Purity Sue), and Akira's character in the anime is really awesome, but in botching Ryo's character as much as they did they completely ignored the main message of the story.

Ryo doesn't discover feelings at the end of the story; he has feelings, and God is absolutely determined to make him suffer as much as possible for it. The reveal of the existence of demons to the public wasn't orchestrated by him, and was something he was trying to avoid, from what I gathered. I like to think that it's exactly why God is doing this: because Satan developed feelings and opinions when unquestioning obedience to God was the only thing that was really allowed, but that's kind of unimportant in this discussion. I really liked the anime, the soundtrack, the visuals and most of the characters, but what they did with Ryo makes it so much less than it could have been.
"Though mountains crack, and ice will thaw

Though walls will fall, to tooth and claw

Though stars will fade, and shadow spread

On the heights we stood, with iron red.

And as they died, they killed the dead.
Jan 15, 2018 5:02 AM

Oct 2014
Although the art style is not top notch for me, it ended as a pretty solid show for me, great ending, now that I read that the manga has a sequel I'm looking forward to see if they also adapt it. Overall 8 or 8. something/10
Jan 15, 2018 5:32 AM

Feb 2008
Yisus666 said:
Although the art style is not top notch for me, it ended as a pretty solid show for me, great ending, now that I read that the manga has a sequel I'm looking forward to see if they also adapt it. Overall 8 or 8. something/10

It's not that likely that the sequel (Devilman Lady) will be adapted again, it was adapted already back in 1998 - https://myanimelist.net/anime/1629/Devilman_Lady?q=devil%20

Though the adaptation was pretty much an alternate take on the story and is not in canon with anything else. It is great on it's own though and I feel better than the manga.
Jan 15, 2018 7:46 AM

Oct 2014
hybridial said:
Yisus666 said:

It's not that likely that the sequel (Devilman Lady) will be adapted again, it was adapted already back in 1998 - https://myanimelist.net/anime/1629/Devilman_Lady?q=devil%20

Though the adaptation was pretty much an alternate take on the story and is not in canon with anything else. It is great on it's own though and I feel better than the manga.

Thanks for the info, I'll give it a try ;)
Jan 15, 2018 10:06 AM

Aug 2009
hybridial said:
Yisus666 said:

I wouldn’t say it’s better but certainly different. I kinda like the manga for its completely bonkers plot so there’s that.
Jan 15, 2018 12:33 PM
Feb 2015
UnleashTheGoat said:
Temujin26S said:

So out of all the intelligent discussion in this forum I think your comment nails it in some places, if not in others. If it makes any sense, I preferred the characterisation of anime Ryo, cause he just didn't have enough of that in the OG manga for readers to really care all that much, but I vastly prefer the character of manga Ryo. I gave the anime more than a six because Ryo is the only character I really have this problem with (okay, maybe aside from Miki being turned into a Purity Sue), and Akira's character in the anime is really awesome, but in botching Ryo's character as much as they did they completely ignored the main message of the story.

Ryo doesn't discover feelings at the end of the story; he has feelings, and God is absolutely determined to make him suffer as much as possible for it. The reveal of the existence of demons to the public wasn't orchestrated by him, and was something he was trying to avoid, from what I gathered. I like to think that it's exactly why God is doing this: because Satan developed feelings and opinions when unquestioning obedience to God was the only thing that was really allowed, but that's kind of unimportant in this discussion. I really liked the anime, the soundtrack, the visuals and most of the characters, but what they did with Ryo makes it so much less than it could have been.

Honestly I agree with the 6 out of 10 rating, but for a few different reasons. I love Masaaki Yuasa, but the animation style didn't fit at all with the mood of the anime. I hate how people look at a vague and incoherent plot and say its the "deepest thing they ever watched" Then again, a few scenes were done well, the beginning was an okay hook, and some tracks in the ost are worth a second listen. The production quality is really bad throughout the entire anime and the pacing was all over the place. Time is wasted on stupid raps and tit flashes rather than actual character development

I don't think we watched the same anime if you rated this above an 8.
Jan 15, 2018 12:35 PM
Feb 2015
RoroSandiego said:
Man i loved the ending it was rushed sure but im in love with the final scene you know when Ryo finally understood that he loves Akari and is now sad and cried and I CANT WITH THE FEELINGS ;_; i give this anime 10/10 bcuz i havent seen the original manga and havent seen the ovas and well this anime was able to make me relate to the characters and feel sad and i havent seen such a sad ending in a while and it really got to me. I love anime with scenes and endings that really break my heart therefore 10/10 from me ^^

... okay very nice points, i completely agree with everything here kappa
Jan 15, 2018 12:45 PM

Feb 2008
Oniifam_ said:
I hate how people look at a vague and incoherent plot and say its the "deepest thing they ever watched"

This would probably be the main reason one would give this show more than 8/10. It's not that vague and it's not particularly incoherent. Paced a little hapdash maybe, even I recognise the manga sort of changes in plot about midway through, and this was because from what Go Nagai said, many of his ideas for the second half came to him midway through publishing, but with chapters already released he couldn't really go and retcon them. He did make additions to later editions of the manga that help this a bit. If Crybaby's guilty of anything, it's in not really fixing this when it had a chance to.

And it's not deep. It's quite sad, but as I keep saying, it's a very simple plot. It's the plot equivalent to a bludgeoning with a hammer.

What I like, is the honesty of it, the fact it really doesn't try to dress it up but instead just focus on intensity. But I fell in love with Devilman originally without the full plot, but because the OVAs which were stupendously animated and fucking cool.

You might see where the appeal of the concept comes a bit more if you watched them.

Jan 15, 2018 3:36 PM

Oct 2013
MrHawky said:
deku2 said:
So I never read Devilman and went in watching this anime completely blind... It ripped my heart in half and tore it into pieces lmao that was absolute mindfuckery, in the best way possible. I wasn't expecting Ryo to be Satan and that end /end/ with Akira torn in half... I have to admit it did felt bit rushed (both 9 and 10, a lot happened in just two episodes) but it all came together nicely in the end
10/10 to be honest

The only thing that I didn't completely understand, did the world like "reset" at the final scene? Because that was the feeling I got.

Not sure, but I think the moons are the previous earths, because in the first info dump where we see the demon earth there was no moon present (I seem to remember it that way), so after the earth faced destruction the first time it became a moon and a new one took its place. That's what happened here, pretty sure.

Dude. NO!
They split the moon in 2 halfs during the battle so you get two smaller ones.
It's jsut emphasizes that the world just keeps going on even if the previous one ended...this kinda stuff....
Jan 15, 2018 3:37 PM
Jan 2017
UnleashTheGoat said:
Temujin26S said:

You make good points, the sad thing is that they could've balanced his character with the traits of manga Ryo, with all my criticisms I don't hate Ryo anime (partly because of the manga too) as the psychotic side was an interesting spin while entertaining but got old fast just leaves a bad taste in your mouth.

That's very good explanation, I liked bits of Satan's new backstory better than manga but as whole way too vague and bit convoluted just falls apart. The manga was very clear and concise of what Satan plans and why he did everything he did.
Temujin26SJan 15, 2018 4:00 PM
Jan 15, 2018 9:38 PM
Dec 2015
That was painful and I am in pain
Jan 15, 2018 10:30 PM

Nov 2017
I gotta say, the ending took me by surprise, it felt kinda rushed too; but overall this anime was fucking great.
I would give the Soundtrack a steaming 15/10 if i could though.
Jan 16, 2018 8:53 AM

Jan 2013
Yep, I'm just never gonna like these types of endings. Makes everything seem pointless, it was a really fun show but Miki's death ruined it for me.
Jan 16, 2018 12:57 PM

Aug 2017
I missed this kind of anime, reminds me of those OVA from late 80s early 90s that I used to watch as a brat with uncensored gore, sex, horror and despair, ala genocyber; midori; jack; etc.

I'm dreaming this trend achieves momentum so that uzumaki get an adaptation.
Jan 16, 2018 1:08 PM

Aug 2017
i liked the last episode but i was pretty upset because of you know what..
Jan 16, 2018 1:21 PM

Jul 2015
Watched all 10 episodes between last night and today. Predictable ending imo, and the amount of fuckery in that war was certainly something. This series was certainly...something. With everyone dead it seems like one of those anime where sex and violence is what shaped the world as well as destroyed it; even for the demons. 2/10 for effort.
Jan 16, 2018 4:29 PM

Mar 2013
Yuasa will be on reddit for real???
Jan 16, 2018 4:59 PM

Feb 2012
This was a great ride so I'm giving it a 8/10 for enjoyment, but could have definitely done better in the plot,pacing, and character development. The animation was unique so I won't really fault all the bleh faces since it still worked with the action.

A trippy predictable jumble of action, gore, and sex. Recommend you watch this with other people for full enjoyment because that's what I did and had a good laugh.

Music was 10/10

(I didn't read more than 2 volumes of the original manga nor seen the Anime so I can't judge on faithfulness.)
VyudaliJan 16, 2018 5:06 PM
Jan 17, 2018 2:48 AM
Oct 2016
Oh man, I really loved this. The music was astounding. In typical netflix fashion, the gore and sex were probably a bit overdone but it does look surprisingly artistic in animated format. The plot was insane. I felt terrible for both of the boys at the end... there seems to be a lot of unexplored backstory (the rest of the demons, the intent of God and his angel legion etc) but I guess open-ended speculation is half of the fun!

Episode 9 was absolutely insane though, I felt physically sick.
Jan 17, 2018 5:39 AM

May 2014
Very fast pacing in the end, but holy shit I loved it. 9/10 for me.
Jan 17, 2018 12:49 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
What an incredible ride. I'm not familiar with Nagai's manga so that probably makes it easier for me to have enjoyed this on its own terms. Love Yuasa's art and animation styles and i thought the fast pace and soundtrack really gave this a kinetic energy that is quite lacking in anime in 2018.

Will recommend and watch again.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Jan 17, 2018 5:31 PM

May 2014
Fuck, things just kept getting more and more extreme.

Serious end of eva and berserk vibes, I'm not too sure I liked the pacing of this show.

Somewhere between episode 7 and episode 8 things starting going way too fast and we lost some crucial explanations.

I love this show so much though, the music was amazing, the characters felt real and the episodes had a lot of weight to them. I really wish things had slowed down a bit to fit in an extra two episodes.

I've got to give it 9/10, it could have been a 10 and it was so close but I didn't feel like things were just right. So close though.
I've been here way too long...
Jan 17, 2018 10:37 PM

Jan 2013
TheConquerer said:
Fuck, things just kept getting more and more extreme.

Serious end of eva and berserk vibes, I'm not too sure I liked the pacing of this show.

Somewhere between episode 7 and episode 8 things starting going way too fast and we lost some crucial explanations.

I love this show so much though, the music was amazing, the characters felt real and the episodes had a lot of weight to them. I really wish things had slowed down a bit to fit in an extra two episodes.

I've got to give it 9/10, it could have been a 10 and it was so close but I didn't feel like things were just right. So close though.
That's how I feel too. It was so close to a 10/10 but the last few episodes just weren't good enough for me. It could have been so much better if Satan explained everything before the climax rather than during it.
Jan 18, 2018 3:09 PM

Feb 2013
Damn, he didn't defeat Ryo in the end.
Jan 18, 2018 6:51 PM

Oct 2013
ReaperEXE said:
So, that after credits scene... It would appear that Satan and his demons lost to God an his Angels. Am I to assume that the charred planet is what remains of the 'old' Earth that was the battlefield, and there is a brand new Earth? It's probably not even a significant point, but I am a bit curious as to others thoughts.

Having not read or previously had any exposure to the source material, the constant build of despair hit me hard. Just when I thought it would culminate with Miki's death, time goes on as humans are eradicated while Akira and Satan fight their war. I'm not really sure how I feel about the depiction of Akira's death. The way it was presented to the audience was powerful, but his death made me feel like everything was meaningless - which may have been the intent given the recurring theme of despair.

What I did not like about this show is that often the plot seemed disjointed in that i may have missed key points, but that was just the way the information was presented.

Overall, this was a great anime. A solid 8/10.

I'm in the same boat and am very glad I got to watch such a classic that I had no clue about that as I understand, was adapted for our modern era.

While having some likeable characters die and having some left standing may make people feel that individual death more impactfull,there's still that feeling of hope that some very valuable lessons were learned at a great cost, but things can still work out. That happens in a lot of stories we're fond of, where the main character(s) loose some of their friends,family,mentors,etc in order to learn a valuable,even if tragic, lesson.

But here, it doesn't matter if Ryo/Satan learned a valuable lesson at the end, because it was simply too late given all the damage he's caused. Yea, all the hysteria is overblown but it nevertheless manages to drive it's point across. While the anime still baits us with that hope for a while with the kids & people hugging Akira & someone like Miki influencing people for the better in a crisis, it just wasn't enough. It's also interesting,sad but also somewhat hopeful just considering that if more people like her,Akira,Miki no2 & the rappers were around, things would've been completely different in the end.
Jan 18, 2018 7:45 PM
Jul 2009
First 5 episodes >>> second 5 episodes. The world building, especially through characters, and music were all great in the first half of the show. It all sort of went downhill once the show started to be more about good vs evil, humans vs devils, etc. A lot of the deaths didn't really hit me very hard because at that point everyone and their grandma was dying (literally), plus the motives and explanations of why characters did certain things was weak - served only to advance the plot to the next stage. Still really entertaining but it could have been much better if retained its quality all the way through.
Jan 19, 2018 10:22 AM

Dec 2015
7/10.

Beginning was cool and better than I had expected. (Pic in the database looked like it would be a "superhero" stuff with boring plot. And the manga was old. I guess the old adaption was worse because it was different from the manga.) (8/10 sometimes.)

2nd half it was even better ... nice atmosphere. 9/10 sometimes.

But it felt like it was cut a bit (or the source plot was badly written) - especially with the "connections" between the episodes. Maybe a few episodes more would have been better. (-1 score)

Then the end: Didn't like the last 1-2 episodes. A bit more normal with the humans surviving would have been better. That plot twist with Satan was just boring. (-1 or -2 ... final score 7/10)
Jan 19, 2018 11:56 AM

Jul 2016
I don't get it.

Even then, I have too many questions on my mind. For example: 1. What was Akira doing in that island.
2. How are Devilmen even made? I mean the cat just... became one? I don't know
3. What was that second moon (?) at the end?

Those are the things I can kind of understand but have some doubts about. There are also many factors that don't make any sense whatever way I put them. Is this the ending of the manga though? Because this may be one of the first "bizarre" endings in manga. That's quite nice

Anyway besides the confusing (at least for me) plot, the music was top notch. The animation is nice (it's Yuasa, buuut it feels a little downgraded from his usual style, so to say). The characters are pretty great, heck, whenever I read the manga, if Akira is like this, he's going to my favorite character list without a doubt, the concept behind him is pretty neat and I like his overall execution as well, Yuasa did a good job with him. As an adaptation... I haven't read the manga, but I like the anime's modern aestethic and I believe that there aren't many factors that make me say that it "felt forced" or "felt like it didn't fit", I think this was one of the best decisions made here, I wouldn't have like the anime as much with an older 70esque aesthetic.

Oh did I mention how edgy this show is? Really nice, many would probably think it felt like it was written by a witty teenager, but I adore it since it stays mature while the show tells us its aesop (so to say :p).

Anyways, pretty neat, but not a masterpiece by any means. It may be a fantastic adaptation (not really sure because, again, I haven't read the original manga) but the source may have some problems that were adapted as well.

7/10
Around the gif~
"It's a big mistake to think you're the only one who can turn into a car"
- Shiori Takatsuki
Jan 20, 2018 5:36 PM

Nov 2016
Not too sure how I should feel about this ending tbh.Didn't really live up to the build up for me,it was quite sad nonetheless.

All in all this show was pretty great,visuals and sound were stunning, characer were fleshed out,liked the humans and demons theme.

A few more episodes may have been better,but whatever.

Solid 8/10

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jan 20, 2018 5:45 PM
Nov 2017
HitSquare said:
I don't get it.

Even then, I have too many questions on my mind. For example: 1. What was Akira doing in that island.
2. How are Devilmen even made? I mean the cat just... became one? I don't know
3. What was that second moon (?) at the end?

Those are the things I can kind of understand but have some doubts about. There are also many factors that don't make any sense whatever way I put them. Is this the ending of the manga though? Because this may be one of the first "bizarre" endings in manga. That's quite nice

Anyway besides the confusing (at least for me) plot, the music was top notch. The animation is nice (it's Yuasa, buuut it feels a little downgraded from his usual style, so to say). The characters are pretty great, heck, whenever I read the manga, if Akira is like this, he's going to my favorite character list without a doubt, the concept behind him is pretty neat and I like his overall execution as well, Yuasa did a good job with him. As an adaptation... I haven't read the manga, but I like the anime's modern aestethic and I believe that there aren't many factors that make me say that it "felt forced" or "felt like it didn't fit", I think this was one of the best decisions made here, I wouldn't have like the anime as much with an older 70esque aesthetic.

Oh did I mention how edgy this show is? Really nice, many would probably think it felt like it was written by a witty teenager, but I adore it since it stays mature while the show tells us its aesop (so to say :p).

Anyways, pretty neat, but not a masterpiece by any means. It may be a fantastic adaptation (not really sure because, again, I haven't read the original manga) but the source may have some problems that were adapted as well.

7/10

1. Akira used to live there with his parents, but I guess the island was later abandoned.

2. Devilmen subdue the demon that tries to merge with them. I understand it with humans but yeah I don't quite understand how the cat became devilman. My guess is that, as there are obviously stronger and weaker demons, the demon that merged with the cat was really weak so even the cat managed to subdue him. But I'm not sure if this is true

3. Those two moons are the two Earths that were destroyed by God. The first Earth didn't have a moon, when God destroyed it it became the moon for the new earth, and now the second earth was destroyed so it also became the moon and now the third earth has two moons
Jan 20, 2018 6:13 PM
Nov 2017
9/10

Haven't read the manga. Was kind of irritated at times because some scenes were too dark, not dark in the sense of violence and all, but it was so freaking dark that I had a hard time seeing what was on the screen and had to strain my eyes and focus. Maybe it's just my laptop or my sight, I don't know.

The engrish was irritating to me as well. I know it was good compared to other anime but I hate it in any anime. They could have put the subtitles cause at times it was really hard to decipher what the hell they were saying, especially in the last episode when they are bombing the cities and the military guy speaks engrish combined with the loud sounds of explosions, I couldn't hear shit.

Overall, loved it
Jan 20, 2018 6:16 PM

Dec 2009
The final episode delivered with its fight between Akira and Ryo, even though it all just abruptly stopped with Akira dying and the world being destroyed by God after Satan finally understood that having a friend die kinda sucks.

(production hiccups: They kept placing Miki's earring at her right side, when it should have been her left. After Akira takes off the earring and the next scene shows her face in the grave, you can still see her with the earring.)

For the series itself, the visuals worked well within this series. I felt like it was a bit of a balance between Yuasa's original designs and the more conventional look you'd normally expect. The soundtrack did a great job at hyping scenes up with strong electronic beats and drops during fights and enhancing emotional moments with a more orchestral approach. It even had some rapping going on at times!

For some constructive criticism, it did felt like this series could have been improved quite some with just 3 to 5 extra episodes to give more depth to characters and a few events. Silene was a pretty major 'boss fight' from what I understand, but she came and went within a single episode, much like Akira's parents did. Ryo started off interesting, but after episode 6 his attitude really changed dramatically. I wish there would have been a bit more subtlety in that switch.

Akira also seemed like a completely oblivious guy that just ate up anything that Ryo told him and only during the track event when shit started to go down he began to doubt his motives, and by then it was already too late. I wish Akira was portrayed as a little bit more independent and frankly, more intelligent. He often just let his emotions get the better of him near the end instead of thinking things though. He has a few of those moments throughout the series.

A good example of this was the part where he leaves Miki's house after he's been uncovered, only to try interfere a random torture scene of humans (as if those weren't going on everywhere!) and just stands there for a good portion of the episode to talk about how sad it is, crying and then eventually hugging the converted people. Quickly afterwards, he gets attacked by demon minions, defeats Xenon and then... 'oh, Miki is in trouble! I'm on my way back!' Now, wasn't that kind of useless? I know the director wanted to drive home how Akira works as a demon with a human heart and has empathy for others and such, but in a situation where things aren't looking good for you, your friends and Ryo just fucked you over, you'd think he would know his priorities. He did say he'd out to meet Ryo, but got distracted after that apparently.

But besides that, some unfortunate lack of character development here and there, and a slightly rushed story at times, I still believe that the director did a fine job with the 10 episodes he had to work with. Even though the contrast between the two halves of the series were pretty strong, it was certainly interesting to watch a normal world suddenly get turned into such an apocalyptic mess out of fear, and how it kind of blurred the lines between humans and demons as a result. Alas, at the end everyone dies and the world ends with no winners, which honestly was quite a bleak ending. 8/10

md2222 said:

Was kind of irritated at times because some scenes were too dark, not dark in the sense of violence and all, but it was so freaking dark that I had a hard time seeing what was on the screen and had to strain my eyes and focus.

This too.
Nuky93Jan 20, 2018 6:49 PM
Jan 20, 2018 6:21 PM

Feb 2010
man... i really didnt want to see akira dead. that half body scene broke my heart :c and that ghetto group of boiz (rip also), lol i liked their rap songs. it was good series, overall 8/10 from me.

𝓜𝔂𝓐𝓷𝓲𝓶𝓮𝓛𝓲𝓼𝓽

The inner sea of the planet. The platform of the watchtower. From the edge of paradise you shall hear my words.
Your story shall be full of blessings. ━Let only those without sin pass. "Garden of Avalon"!
Jan 20, 2018 9:34 PM

Jul 2015
8/10 I HATED the ending it was bullshit and stupid but as someone who never read the manga it's probably the same?

Anyhow the show was still great
Jan 21, 2018 9:17 AM

May 2017
This would've been a masterpiece for me if hadn't had a problem with the the devilmans durability

9/10
Jan 21, 2018 3:43 PM
Oct 2017
Wow, now I atleast feel better about all of the deaths in Ep 9 since they would have died anyway after god destroyed the earth at the end, atleast that’s what I think happened since a second moon appeared after the angels came down and there was only one moon before, sad how ryo actually develops feelings toward the end and is really sad when he realizes that Akira is dead. Overall a great series with a unique art style.
Jan 21, 2018 4:07 PM

Jul 2017
damn no one won at the end there everyone lost
Jan 21, 2018 8:41 PM

Jun 2014
Satan has boobs? What?
Jan 21, 2018 11:40 PM
Jan 2018
I thought this was pretty darn good overall, though the pacing and sexual imagery were some notable flaws.

I feel like there were two things that left me really confused...
1. What was the significance of the baton scene, where it was miko>Miki>Akira trying to pass it to Ryo? It was repeated many times but I have no idea what it meant.
2. After Akira was killed, I gathered that was that heaven/hell at the table. But why did everyone first laugh and be happy, then they turned black and their heads rolled off?? It was a really cool scene in terms of animation but I again Fail to recognise what it means.

E96825 said:

I wonder if it was netflix that forced him with the whole gay stuff with the runners
yeah Nagai never discriminated against gays but this just felt like propaganda
I hope Toei puts a stop to them when they suggest to make Shun a lesbian and Hyoga a black guy.
What bothered me the most is that the rap, retarded amounts of sex, gaylords and track & field scenes

What?
Is having a single gay character and a single gay sex scene (among countless heterosexual ones) propaganda? its a reflection of reality...
And the original manga had anti-racist themes. Is that propaganda too?
Jan 21, 2018 11:51 PM

Aug 2009
Limabean01 said:

1. What was the significance of the baton scene, where it was miko>Miki>Akira trying to pass it to Ryo? It was repeated many times but I have no idea what it meant.
2. After Akira was killed, I gathered that was that heaven/hell at the table. But why did everyone first laugh and be happy, then they turned black and their heads rolled off?? It was a really cool scene in terms of animation but I again Fail to recognise what it means.

1. Miko loves Miki who loves Akira who loves Ryo (Not necessarily romantic). Love aside, it was also about passing their feelings (empathy etc) to one another. Ryo doesn't pick up the baton at first because he doesn't understand human love and empathy. He only finally gets it when Akira dies and the whole world goes to shit.

2. Akira just lost everyone who was dear to him.

Jan 22, 2018 3:52 AM
Jul 2012
Boy I expected some edgy shitty show that I'd drop after 2 episodes. Definitely not what I was expecting, this show was great. Will pick up the manga as well
Jan 22, 2018 6:00 AM
Apr 2009
I'm kind of confused about a few things:

1. How did the little kid and Akira's dad end up becoming demons? I thought people were only able to become demons in the Sabbath parties or if Ryo turned them into a demon.

2. What was up with the betrayal in that friend group? Why did they end up turning against the other two when they were seemingly "okay" with everything?

3. I didn't really understand the whole return to the Sabbath part, was it really covered up by the demons (Jenny?)? If it wasn't a cover up, how did Akira become Amon?

4. Were there any surviving humans, assuming they all didn't die in the war? It sounded like the blasts on Earth were to only work on demons, not the humans.
Jan 22, 2018 6:54 AM

Aug 2009
Damaera said:
I'm kind of confused about a few things:

1. How did the little kid and Akira's dad end up becoming demons? I thought people were only able to become demons in the Sabbath parties or if Ryo turned them into a demon.

2. What was up with the betrayal in that friend group? Why did they end up turning against the other two when they were seemingly "okay" with everything?

3. I didn't really understand the whole return to the Sabbath part, was it really covered up by the demons (Jenny?)? If it wasn't a cover up, how did Akira become Amon?

4. Were there any surviving humans, assuming they all didn't die in the war? It sounded like the blasts on Earth were to only work on demons, not the humans.

1. There are two instances for Taro that probably led him to becoming one. The first one is when he was looking at porn on the computer, second is when he thought drugs are cool. I think those uncontrollable urges are what led to a demon possessing him. Furthermore, I'm not actually sure he even became a demon, given he was crying when his dad found him eating his mom, so I think he actually became a devilman and retained his consciousness but couldn't really control his powers to the fullest like Akira.

As for Akira's dad, from what I know of the manga, anyone can become a demon if a demon tries to possess. A strong mind will help you fight against the possession. Ryo just ordered Amon to possess Akira but for the rest, he just attracted them with blood.

2. Hie noticed that Miko carried Kukun's glasses in her bag, so he thought he killed her which was indeed possible (or Kukun died during the frenzy at the party they were in). Babo just got caught in the mob mentality. If you can't fight them, join them. You can easily see that he wasn't in the right of state of mind in his eyes when he stabbed Gabi in the chest.

3. It was a indeed a setup. In the manga, Ryo is the one who gets the whole party going in his basement so it's not far-fetched to think that it could be Jenny as you said.

4. It's not said in the anime, but in the manga, 20 years have passed since and humanity is completely gone at that point. Only Devilmen and Satan's forces remained.
Jan 22, 2018 7:01 AM

Nov 2012
m-i-c-h-a-e-l said:
Satan has boobs? What?

Satan is a hermaphrodite. the anime left out that information and didn't include it during the reveal of Satan, for some reason.
Jan 22, 2018 7:26 AM

Feb 2015
This completely surpassed my expectations. 9/10
Pages (11) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Have a small doubt!

Jai_akash - Apr 18

5 by catfelix »»
Apr 18, 6:01 PM

Poll: » Devilman: Crybaby Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

lordzeru - Jan 5, 2018

92 by Fortress_Maximus »»
Mar 6, 2:54 PM

Poll: » Devilman: Crybaby Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

lordzeru - Jan 5, 2018

159 by Isca_Riot »»
Mar 5, 8:20 AM

» Why do people love it so much ( 1 2 )

Bardocen - Sep 18, 2021

53 by xONLYINHUMANx »»
Feb 18, 6:31 AM

Poll: » Devilman: Crybaby Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

lordzeru - Jan 5, 2018

97 by Floral_soap »»
Feb 8, 3:08 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.