Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Jan 17, 2018 8:21 PM

Apr 2013
as far as I've seen the original anime seems just as gay, which is gaylike-but-author-is-homophobic-so-not-gay?

./ ☠ シズイザ║┈{/ 神アレ ♚ YULLEN }┈║ ヨシュネク ☊ \.
`tumblr
Jan 18, 2018 6:54 AM
Aug 2015
The character design hurts my eyes >_<
Jan 20, 2018 12:19 AM

Nov 2014
I don't know, as someone who's stayed away from the original version because it's too long, this might be a good alternative
The PV looks nice to me, the art is pretty and i might finally get to know what all that galactic stuff is about, you might argue that it's just a glimpse of what the original story is but isn't that better than nothing ?

Just don't watch it if you think the original is better, there's no point in doing so :v

Jan 20, 2018 4:35 AM
Jun 2014
Blarey said:
Well it's a modern remake of a classic anime, chances are it's gonna be shit. It might be smarter to wait until episode one comes out before hating it though.

Why? You think the characters we've "seen" will change from this pv to episode one? I'm not gonna boycott it, but i sure as hell understand the complaints. Not as much because i NEED to have the old characters back, but because these characters lack characterization. They look too generic, while being "pretty" boys.
Jan 20, 2018 10:48 AM

Nov 2013
Stormen said:
Blarey said:
Well it's a modern remake of a classic anime, chances are it's gonna be shit. It might be smarter to wait until episode one comes out before hating it though.

Why? You think the characters we've "seen" will change from this pv to episode one? I'm not gonna boycott it, but i sure as hell understand the complaints. Not as much because i NEED to have the old characters back, but because these characters lack characterization. They look too generic, while being "pretty" boys.

Uhh yeah because it’s just the PV? Was Utena bad because it had pretty boy characters?
Jan 20, 2018 2:03 PM
Jun 2014
Blarey said:
Stormen said:

Uhh yeah because it’s just the PV? Was Utena bad because it had pretty boy characters?

I simply don't think you understood a word of what i just said.
Jan 20, 2018 2:19 PM

Nov 2013
Stormen said:
Blarey said:

You think the anime is bad before it came out because the characters look like pretty boys. That’s what I got from your post anyway.
Jan 20, 2018 2:51 PM
Jun 2014
Blarey said:
Stormen said:

You think the anime is bad before it came out because the characters look like pretty boys. That’s what I got from your post anyway.

Yes, and that's completely not what i said. I said the characters look generic by modern standards and not memorable at all, while the originals had much more character. Show might be good regardless, who knows.
Jan 20, 2018 6:16 PM

Nov 2013
Stormen said:
Blarey said:

Yes, and that's completely not what i said. I said the characters look generic by modern standards and not memorable at all, while the originals had much more character. Show might be good regardless, who knows.

Okay and you think you can judge a show off the PV lmao...

“Generic by modern standards” That’s because it’s modern animation. You’re basically upset that the anime looks modern... You want them to hand-draw everything like in the old days?
BlareyJan 20, 2018 9:18 PM
Jan 20, 2018 9:30 PM

Jun 2009
Crap, I only just now saw the trailer. Honestly while I'm not too crazy about Yang's new look I'm not all that bothered by it. Particularly if this is only adapting 1 volume or whatever. Look, even if it is bad or whatever. I don't really give a crap, it's not like it will hurt the original. Though I would like this version to be good enough for some people to be interested in the older stuff too, at the least.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Jan 21, 2018 2:58 PM
Jun 2014
Blarey said:
Stormen said:

“Generic by modern standards” That’s because it’s modern animation. You’re basically upset that the anime looks modern... You want them to hand-draw everything like in the old days?

Hand drawn is definitely preferable, i won't deny that.
Jan 21, 2018 5:17 PM

Nov 2013
Stormen said:
Blarey said:

Hand drawn is definitely preferable, i won't deny that.

I agree with you, but that kind of animation is long dead, at least in this medium.

It’s a freaking LoGH remake, I think we should at least hope for the best. The studio thats doing this and the staff is what has me worried though tbh. It should have been Madhouse.
Jan 23, 2018 12:55 PM
Mar 2009
Oh im so gonna watch this I loved the original 110 episode anime from 1988 and of curse in hell the art style will be different it´s like lets see it´s been 30 years sense the original and like 19 years sense the last we heard from this series in 1999.

But I been dying for a good space opera They manage to mess up Macross making all about pop idols yes yes I know Minmei was sinning in the original,but first of it was 1 girl sinning only 1 and how many times did she sing ? a few maybe but then Macross delta was like sinning every damn f-ing episode.

All im saying is back in the 80 and 90 early 2000 they knew how to make a good sci-fi anime´s like Outlawstars,Cowboy bebop, lost universe, Legend of the galactic heroes,Macross,banner and crest of the stars space battle ship yamato and so on. Then it´s like it all died and then they started to focus is bad comedy sci-fi and wifu sci-fi yesh the shit hit the fan and every one making sci-fi got a collective brain stroke.

This new adaptation may be way to short and not like the orginal but it will be 100 times better than Sing along macross.
Jan 24, 2018 5:48 AM

May 2013
As an enthusiast of pretty boys in anime the new characters look like shit compared to the old. Old Reinhard is way prettier. I will try to watch this but I doubt I will enjoy it.
Feb 2, 2018 7:21 PM
Sep 2013
At first I was worried when I saw this cuz there was no freaking way they can fit an epic as long of LOGH in a normal anime run but seems there's gonna be a bunch of movies as sequels so it might be alright.

As much of a fan as I am of Yang's VA, he's fucking dead and I am not gonna be get blundered by dumb ass sentimental nostalgic bullshit, I'll judge the show for what it is.

Blarey said:

You obviously don't understand nerds and people in general, pre-judging things and than refusing to change their minds no matter what is in your DNA.
Feb 2, 2018 7:26 PM
Sep 2013
mehmehperson said:
The designs are just as gay as the 90s anime. The remake looks perfect

That yaoi bait!

Its funny how guys who think themselves the most macho tend to be the ones who feel the most homo when looking at pretty boys. I think they should be more honest with themselves.
Feb 2, 2018 7:52 PM

Nov 2013
MrNTR said:

Blarey said:

You obviously don't understand nerds and people in general, pre-judging things and than refusing to change their minds no matter what is in your DNA.

Not mine, I prefer to actually watch something before judging it.
Feb 4, 2018 1:26 PM

Jul 2013
So something has become clear to me after seeing more criticism of this new series before it has even aired.

The biggest problem is still that people think this is a remake. As I have said many times before, it isn't. It is a new adaption of the novels, and that has been clear by the people making it since the beginning. Unfortunately, nobody actually listens to this.

But the new problem that I have come to see from the haters is many of them are fixating on the episode count. They think that somehow just because this season only has 12 episodes that everything is going to be crammed into those 12 episodes. This is literally baseless. I've also seen people say that if they go by the pacing of the old series that it won't be enough of a season. They seem to forget just how much happens in the first 12 episodes of the old series. Episode 12 concludes with the Alliance launching its invasion fleet towards the Empire, which in my opinion is a perfect storyline for the films to cover. (EDIT: Also, are people just throwing common sense out the window here? They aren't going to announce every season at the same time. No anime I know have has ever said from the start "there will be 4 seasons of this anime". (You could maybe say Shaft did for the Monogatari series. When exactly did they announce they would animate all of it?) The series will come out, the films will come out, and chances are they will do well in Japan and then more seasons will be made. I say "chances are" because they wouldn't have gone as far as making films as well if they hadn't already done the market research for it. I'm really (not) looking forward to the Japanese versus Western reaction to this one.)

Either the doubters and haters are right and it will be bad, or this new series is just going to blow away all of their expectations. That said, there will be some people that cling to the hate just because they don't like the new character designs (even though almost everything else is the same or VERY similar). You have to remember that these were full novels, not light novels. The characters never had a predetermined look to them other than what the author described, which the new adaptation is still holding to.

I think this new series will be great. I don't think it will better than the old series, but I think it has the potential to be as good. It's the same exact story after all. There may be some differences if the new series chooses to be strictly faithful to the novels (some events shown in full in the old series were merely mentioned in passing in the novels). As long as they stick to the story and use the right pacing, then it will all come down to personal preference of the art. And frankly, the art in the new series is already much sharper and finer. Some people just don't like the characters and the CGI.

At worst, it's still going to be better than Golden Wings.

Sedrick said:
All of you fuckers defending this remake have not watched the original show.
I can tell because you are calling the original show "yaoi fanboy shit" when, sure the art can cause images that can be taken out and hyper fucking focused on out of this fucking 110 episode series not including the prequels. Are you shitting me right now?
No, fuckers, this remake is bullshit. BULLSHIT. Bullshit. Fuck off.

You're an idiot. I've watched the old series twice over plus the gaiden and films. I'm currently watching it a third time. It's easily the greatest anime of all time. Also, the new series isn't a remake. Get your facts straight.

Also seriously? Yaoi fanboys? Do you... just not know who watches yaoi? I didn't see anybody call the original show yaoi fanboy shit. We called some of the characters fujoshi bait, which Reinhard and Kircheis always have been. There's nothing wrong with that. I think your attitude speaks volumes about your own insecurity.

(EDIT 2: Actually, I'm a little more psyched for this now knowing who the voice actor is for Reinhard. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Bf0aYBk0OQ )
HraktuusFeb 4, 2018 2:15 PM
Omne Solum Forti Patria
Feb 4, 2018 10:04 PM

Aug 2012
Hraktuus said:
So something has become clear to me after seeing more criticism of this new series before it has even aired.

The biggest problem is still that people think this is a remake. As I have said many times before, it isn't. It is a new adaption of the novels, and that has been clear by the people making it since the beginning. Unfortunately, nobody actually listens to this.

But the new problem that I have come to see from the haters is many of them are fixating on the episode count. They think that somehow just because this season only has 12 episodes that everything is going to be crammed into those 12 episodes. This is literally baseless. I've also seen people say that if they go by the pacing of the old series that it won't be enough of a season. They seem to forget just how much happens in the first 12 episodes of the old series. Episode 12 concludes with the Alliance launching its invasion fleet towards the Empire, which in my opinion is a perfect storyline for the films to cover. (EDIT: Also, are people just throwing common sense out the window here? They aren't going to announce every season at the same time. No anime I know have has ever said from the start "there will be 4 seasons of this anime". (You could maybe say Shaft did for the Monogatari series. When exactly did they announce they would animate all of it?) The series will come out, the films will come out, and chances are they will do well in Japan and then more seasons will be made. I say "chances are" because they wouldn't have gone as far as making films as well if they hadn't already done the market research for it. I'm really (not) looking forward to the Japanese versus Western reaction to this one.)

Either the doubters and haters are right and it will be bad, or this new series is just going to blow away all of their expectations. That said, there will be some people that cling to the hate just because they don't like the new character designs (even though almost everything else is the same or VERY similar). You have to remember that these were full novels, not light novels. The characters never had a predetermined look to them other than what the author described, which the new adaptation is still holding to.

I think this new series will be great. I don't think it will better than the old series, but I think it has the potential to be as good. It's the same exact story after all. There may be some differences if the new series chooses to be strictly faithful to the novels (some events shown in full in the old series were merely mentioned in passing in the novels). As long as they stick to the story and use the right pacing, then it will all come down to personal preference of the art. And frankly, the art in the new series is already much sharper and finer. Some people just don't like the characters and the CGI.

Sedrick said:
All of you fuckers defending this remake have not watched the original show.
I can tell because you are calling the original show "yaoi fanboy shit" when, sure the art can cause images that can be taken out and hyper fucking focused on out of this fucking 110 episode series not including the prequels. Are you shitting me right now?
No, fuckers, this remake is bullshit. BULLSHIT. Bullshit. Fuck off.

You're an idiot. I've watched the old series twice over plus the gaiden and films. I'm currently watching it a third time. It's easily the greatest anime of all time. Also, the new series isn't a remake. Get your facts straight.

Also seriously? Yaoi fanboys? Do you... just not know who watches yaoi? I didn't see anybody call the original show yaoi fanboy shit. We called some of the characters fujoshi bait, which Reinhard and Kircheis always have been. There's nothing wrong with that. I think your attitude speaks volumes about your own insecurity.

(EDIT 2: Actually, I'm a little more psyched for this now knowing who the voice actor is for Reinhard. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Bf0aYBk0OQ )

Clearly you have not been reading the thread if you do not know who has been referring to the original as "yaoi fanboy shit"...
If it is actually not a remake and is adaptation of previously un-adapted content, then that is better but I do not think you are correct.
It is going to do things that happened in the original show.
Feb 4, 2018 10:15 PM

Jul 2013
Sedrick said:
Hraktuus said:

Clearly you have not been reading the thread if you do not know who has been referring to the original as "yaoi fanboy shit"...
If it is actually not a remake and is adaptation of previously un-adapted content, then that is better but I do not think you are correct.

I've been following this project since the beginning. They have clearly said it is a new adaptation, not a remake.

http://gineiden-anime.com/introduction.html

If you translate it, nowhere does it say remake. It says new animation. Every official Japanese press release I have seen has said it is a new adaptation. They have never called it a remake. Only weeaboos have been calling it a remake.

Also this thread has been running for a while and I've been posting in it for a while. You should have directed your post at the specific offender in that case.

EDIT: Google translation for the link:
' "Ginga Eiyu Densetsu" is a science fiction novel set in the space of the far future. Since the first volume was published in 1982, it is a masterpiece of Yoshiki Tanaka, a popular writer who has produced a number of hits, as a large novel of 10 volumes of this volume and Gaiden 5 volumes, sales of a certain needle 15 million copies Record. The reprint is still continuing now. Since 1988, the animation series was developed with overwhelming volumes such as 110 episodes of this episode, 52 Gaiden episodes, and 3 episodes, and won more fans. At the time, this cast, casting most of the voice actors who were active in Japan, also known as "Galaxy voice actor legend", has been crowning strong club popularity even now even after nearly 30 years passed. Then, Production LG which made a number of topical works such as "Scissor Machine Squadron series .TPSYCHO-PASS Psychopath" series, from Feng Shoveless r Galactic Heroes Legend "Volume 1 r rice dawn" , A project to create as a new animation is started again. The new animation "Legend of the Galactic Heroes Die Neue These" TV episodes from April to June 2018 as "encounter" of 12 episodes of the first season. We will organize 12 episodes of the second season as "starvation" into 4 chapters in all three chapters and screening at the movie theater in 2019.'

EDIT2: Now that I think about it, "Encounter" is probably referring to the first encounters between Yang and Reinhard. "Starvation" is probably referring to the starvation of the Imperial world and the Alliance fleet during that invasion. I might be assuming too much here, but it really seems to me that they will be doing the same pacing as the old series, if not slower with more focus on the Alliance campaign in the "films". (Kinda silly that they are calling them films when they are just four episodes put together for each one. That's works fine for us outside of Japan though. It means we still are getting 24 episodes at the least.)
HraktuusFeb 4, 2018 10:27 PM
Omne Solum Forti Patria
Feb 4, 2018 10:37 PM

Aug 2012
Hraktuus said:
Sedrick said:

I've been following this project since the beginning. They have clearly said it is a new adaptation, not a remake.

If you translate it, nowhere does it say remake. It says new animation. Every official Japanese press release I have seen has said it is a new adaptation. They have never called it a remake. Only weeaboos have been calling it a remake.

Also this thread has been running for a while and I've been posting in it for a while. You should have directed your post at the specific offender in that case.

' "Ginga Eiyu Densetsu" is a science fiction novel set in the space of the far future. Since the first volume was published in 1982, it is a masterpiece of Yoshiki Tanaka, a popular writer who has produced a number of hits, as a large novel of 10 volumes of this volume and Gaiden 5 volumes, sales of a certain needle 15 million copies Record. The reprint is still continuing now. Since 1988, the animation series was developed with overwhelming volumes such as 110 episodes of this episode, 52 Gaiden episodes, and 3 episodes, and won more fans. At the time, this cast, casting most of the voice actors who were active in Japan, also known as "Galaxy voice actor legend", has been crowning strong club popularity even now even after nearly 30 years passed. Then, Production LG which made a number of topical works such as "Scissor Machine Squadron series .TPSYCHO-PASS Psychopath" series, from Feng Shoveless r Galactic Heroes Legend "Volume 1 r rice dawn" , A project to create as a new animation is started again. The new animation "Legend of the Galactic Heroes Die Neue These" TV episodes from April to June 2018 as "encounter" of 12 episodes of the first season. We will organize 12 episodes of the second season as "starvation" into 4 chapters in all three chapters and screening at the movie theater in 2019.'

EDIT2: Now that I think about it, "Encounter" is probably referring to the first encounters between Yang and Reinhard. "Starvation" is probably referring to the starvation of the Imperial world and the Alliance fleet during that invasion. I might be assuming too much here, but it really seems to me that they will be doing the same pacing as the old series, if not slower with more focus on the Alliance campaign in the "films". (Kinda silly that they are calling them films when they are just four episodes put together for each one. That's works fine for us outside of Japan though. It means we still are getting 24 episodes at the least.)

I'm all for a new series based on content that has not been animated before.
Art style still sucks, but it could be a decent show overall in that case.
Feb 4, 2018 10:55 PM

Jul 2013
Sedrick said:
Hraktuus said:

I'm all for a new series based on content that has not been animated before.
Art style still sucks, but it could be a decent show overall in that case.

I think it's still going to be mostly the same given that both the old and new series are both based on the novels, but the old series made some additions that weren't in the novels and new series might go more in depth into certain events. It's really anyone's guess. We won't know until April.

If they make each season cover one novel each, we'll end up getting 120 episodes not counting the gaiden, provided they keep making it. So that'll be nice if that happens. It's that much more for me to watch, the way I see it.

And I don't love the new character designs either. The old ones were definitely better. But almost everything else is the same. Even the CGI ships are going on the same designs the old series ships designs were based on (they actually have the guy who did the cover art for the original novels involved, which I think is where some of the ship designs came from). Honestly, what will really make it or break it for me is the music.
Omne Solum Forti Patria
Feb 5, 2018 8:43 AM

Apr 2016
Takamura-sama said:
They literally ruined everything..?

How the hell are you gonna tell this amazing anime's story in 24 episodes?

You are right! How is the plot line going to advance without 15 minute *sips tea* scenes

Anime isnt a yardstick your pretentiousness and gayness. Loght is garbage and this remake will make you realize that. You people are worse than kids who use pitchfork as their bible.
Feb 15, 2018 11:29 PM

Nov 2008
Haven't watched the trailer, but the modern art style is indeed ugly. I'm not watching this. Telling another story about Yang Wenli and Reinhard von Lohengramm or retelling their stories seems really pointless anyway, since the original was as good as you could have hoped.

Mar 2, 2018 12:35 AM
Jan 2015
I lost interest when o saw all the ships were cgi. Looks like some knights of sidonia garbage.
Mar 2, 2018 2:44 AM

Nov 2012
Seeing people getting salty about the character designs is pretty amusing. guys who watch moe crap and yuri anime/manga are pissed off at pretty boys. so it's okay to draw pretty girls with gigantic, unrealistic pretty eyes.. but the second an anime with pretty boys get aired, those 12 years old boys lose their shit. what.. you're scared of turning gay or something? insecurity is one hell of a drug.

Anyways, the designs look okay. they aren't as good as the old one. but that may be due to my personal preference for older anime art in general.
Mar 3, 2018 5:56 PM

Sep 2010
Don1Joker said:
Seeing people getting salty about the character designs is pretty amusing. guys who watch moe crap and yuri anime/manga are pissed off at pretty boys. so it's okay to draw pretty girls with gigantic, unrealistic pretty eyes.. but the second an anime with pretty boys get aired, those 12 years old boys lose their shit. what.. you're scared of turning gay or something? insecurity is one hell of a drug.

I just think they look really generic and bland I mean it was okay for I.G's other anime Kuroko no Basket, but here it just don't really fit honestly. Why does everyone have straight hair in this? It looks more like the cast of Kuroko no Basket is putting on a Legend of the Galactic Heroes play lol. xD

I do like Reuenthal's look though, but other than him the others are just bad.

I guess you can say my only flack is that they just picked the wrong character designer they should've went with Psycho Pass's character designer cause looking at Kyouji's works he also done Ghost in the Shell so he would've been a much better choice than the KnB person.

Other than the character designs if this is going to follow the novels spot on then I see it doing really well the animation itself is stunning also popular seiyuu's and Sawano its going to be great. I just don't think I'll ever be able to swallow the way the characters look I feel like they could have chose a better person to take up the task.
"What has two arms, two legs, and is alive? Not your favorite character lol! xD"
Mar 4, 2018 10:23 AM

Nov 2012
Roloko said:
Don1Joker said:

I just think they look really generic and bland I mean it was okay for I.G's other anime Kuroko no Basket, but here it just don't really fit honestly. Why does everyone have straight hair in this? It looks more like the cast of Kuroko no Basket is putting on a Legend of the Galactic Heroes play lol. xD

I do like Reuenthal's look though, but other than him the others are just bad.

I guess you can say my only flack is that they just picked the wrong character designer they should've went with Psycho Pass's character designer cause looking at Kyouji's works he also done Ghost in the Shell so he would've been a much better choice than the KnB person.

Other than the character designs if this is going to follow the novels spot on then I see it doing really well the animation itself is stunning also popular seiyuu's and Sawano its going to be great. I just don't think I'll ever be able to swallow the way the characters look I feel like they could have chose a better person to take up the task.

I get where you're coming from, and it's okay if you don't find the designs good for whatever reason. i don't think they're great, either. they're just.. okay. i was talking about the hypocrisy of people who watch otaku-pandering anime filled with moe character, yet have the nerve to complain about bishounens in anime. that's just pure hypocrisy right there. you don't have the right to complain about bishounens if all what you watch consist of "kawaii animu girls".

As for the straight hair, it's just how anime characters are designed in modern anime. just like the bright eyes and bright hair. it's for the sake of "modernization" to make the anime more acceptable for people who exclusively watch modern anime.
Mar 21, 2018 3:40 AM

Feb 2013
Well, people complaining about pretty boys do have a point. While Reinhard and Kircheis were pretty boys in the original as well, there were also more rugged and masculine looking characters or characters that just looked plainly realistic: Oberstein, Cazzelnu, Shenkopf and Reunthal for example.

But now even they have become pretty boys.
Mar 21, 2018 6:22 AM
May 2015
It's just mecha war series not yaoi.
Mar 22, 2018 6:40 AM
Apr 2017
The original design is MORE GAY that now.
Mar 22, 2018 7:02 AM
Apr 2017
Ezekiel said:
Haven't watched the trailer, but the modern art style is indeed ugly. I'm not watching this. Telling another story about Yang Wenli and Reinhard von Lohengramm or retelling their stories seems really pointless anyway, since the original was as good as you could have hoped.

The original is already very dated.
Mar 23, 2018 9:31 AM

Nov 2012
Oh_Rusty_Nail said:
Well, people complaining about pretty boys do have a point. While Reinhard and Kircheis were pretty boys in the original as well, there were also more rugged and masculine looking characters or characters that just looked plainly realistic: Oberstein, Cazzelnu, Shenkopf and Reunthal for example.

Oh yeah, that's a reasonable point. but i doubt it's the reason behind the backlash.

Whole thing strikes me as people are just pissed that a show with an actual well-written content have bishounen characters in it. i don't see what's wrong with having bishounens in a non-yaoi/shonen ai anime. having good looking men doesn't necessarily mean they're about to get sexual with each other. just like there's anime series out there that have moe character designs, but at the same time they're pretty fantastic, content-wise, and aren't just "cute girls doing cute things". for example: Madoka Magica.

Let's just say, i think this is a subtle form of homophobia. they're scared that associating themselves with good looking men would make them appear "gay". but then again, i don't expect weeaboos to have the best morals or anything.

Nemurasan said:
It's just mecha war series not yaoi.

Bishounens =/= Yaoi
Mar 23, 2018 10:48 AM

Feb 2013
Don1Joker said:
Oh_Rusty_Nail said:

Oh yeah, that's a reasonable point. but i doubt it's the reason behind the backlash.

Whole thing strikes me as people are just pissed that a show with an actual well-written content have bishounen characters in it. i don't see what's wrong with having bishounens in a non-yaoi/shonen ai anime. having good looking men doesn't necessarily mean they're about to get sexual with each other. just like there's anime series out there that have moe character designs, but at the same time they're pretty fantastic, content-wise, and aren't just "cute girls doing cute things". for example: Madoka Magica.

Let's just say, i think this is a subtle form of homophobia. they're scared that associating themselves with good looking men would make them appear "gay". but then again, i don't expect weeaboos to have the best morals or anything.

I guess it depends on the type of story that is being adapted. Logh is an epic with huge scope which applies to characters as well. The fact that the empire side features mostly "germanic" people and the Alliance´s side is more multicultural is shown through design very well in the old OVA. I dont get that feeling from these new designs. They all look so similar to each other.

Also another issue is the subject of seriousness. Logh is a very serious story with broad appeal (meaning even people who dont like anime might be very interested in it) and the bishounen aesthethic does not match that broad appeal in my opinion. I mean, imagine show like Monster having all the characters look like these new designs.

I am sure there is a small but vocal minority that criticizes this because they have some hangups with bishounen but I wouldnt take them seriously. My issue with this argument is that it usually tends to shield the work from all criticisms like "you just dont like it because you are sexist/homophobe/racist" etc. I´ve seen that happening with western tv shows and gaming. I would hate to see it in anime community.
Mar 23, 2018 10:52 AM

Nov 2008
Artur_Moreira said:
Ezekiel said:

The original is already very dated.
In what way? I'm not big on the idea of things "ageing." A classic is a classic. Color and widescreen didn't make old movies worse. The ideas Legend of the Galactic Heroes discussed are also still relevant today, and the fact that it was so classical made it age even more gracefully.
EzekielMar 23, 2018 10:56 AM

Mar 23, 2018 11:03 AM

Apr 2016
Old_School_Akira said:
The designs are just as gay as the 90s anime. The remake looks perfect

That yaoi bait!

Except is not the good kind of gay.
Mar 23, 2018 11:50 AM

Nov 2012
Oh_Rusty_Nail said:

I guess it depends on the type of story that is being adapted. Logh is an epic with huge scope which applies to characters as well. The fact that the empire side features mostly "germanic" people and the Alliance´s side is more multicultural is shown through design very well in the old OVA. I dont get that feeling from these new designs. They all look so similar to each other.

Also another issue is the subject of seriousness. Logh is a very serious story with broad appeal (meaning even people who dont like anime might be very interested in it) and the bishounen aesthethic does not match that broad appeal in my opinion. I mean, imagine show like Monster having all the characters look like these new designs.

I am sure there is a small but vocal minority that criticizes this because they have some hangups with bishounen but I wouldnt take them seriously. My issue with this argument is that it usually tends to shield the work from all criticisms like "you just dont like it because you are sexist/homophobe/racist" etc. I´ve seen that happening with western tv shows and gaming. I would hate to see it in anime community.

Besides you, i've seen couple of people who criticized the designs in reasonable manners and points. but a significant amount of criticizm was basically nothing more than "lol fujoshi bait". and i don't know... a lot of them do seem serious about it.

Oh_Rusty_Nail said:

My issue with this argument is that it usually tends to shield the work from all criticisms like "you just dont like it because you are sexist/homophobe/racist" etc. I´ve seen that happening with western tv shows and gaming. I would hate to see it in anime community

I also don't like it when that happens, exept.... this isn't the case here.

I fail to see anything "fujoi-sh" about the anime, at least from what we've seen so far, except for the designs which may attract fujoshis. yet many people are still calling it fujoshi bait and calling it trash for that sole fact that it has bishounens in it. and it's not like it's one person or two, the "fujoshi bait" comments are all over the place. i don't have any explanation for that except two things: insecurity and homophobia.
Drastic-MeasureMar 23, 2018 11:54 AM
Mar 24, 2018 1:02 PM

Jan 2009
I'm not hating on the remake, I think it's too early to judge it.
But I don't think there's any good reason for me to watch it, I'm still watching the old show and I'm definitely gonna re-watch it someday.
Mar 30, 2018 7:54 AM

Dec 2010
Don1Joker said:

Anyways, the designs look okay. they aren't as good as the old one. but that may be due to my personal preference for older anime art in general.

Exactly I feel the same way most people watch so much moeblobs/cgdct anime with character loli designs everywhere yes I will admit that at first I was not fond of the new look for the characters in this anime but when I really think about it the designs they had before was how they drew bishonen then,of course it would not be the same as it is now if it was it will just look out dated or unrealistic.I am just glad that they still look like grown adult men and not this chipmunk look that seem to be in the norm these days.Sorry for my bad english.
Mar 30, 2018 11:17 AM

Jul 2015
I am skeptical how will they adapt 110 episodes worth content in just 12 episodes and 3 movies?

Mar 30, 2018 12:46 PM

Feb 2014
Vivekananda said:
I am skeptical how will they adapt 110 episodes worth content in just 12 episodes and 3 movies?

They're not. It's going to cover the first 30 or so eps iirc
Mar 31, 2018 1:30 PM

Feb 2018
I'm sure I'm just a pleb but I really don't understand the extreme hate. The only way I can possibly understand is that a lot of the hardcore fans of this show grew up with it or know it as one of the greatest anime ever made so it's something that's very special to them.

People in here are saying the CGI is so off-putting to them that they won't even watch it at all. Is it really that bad or is it just the fact that a modern re-adaptation of your favorite anime is using CGI when the original did not? The CGI looks fucking great to me so far.

I also think a lot of people are underestimating how this will appeal to new fans. If you really love the series so much wouldn't you be excited at the possibility of new fans liking this so much that they go back and watch the original? That means a bigger community, more discussion, more content, etc. Wouldn't that make you happy even in the slightest? As someone who has never seen the original, I for one am very excited for this and hope it turns out well.

I met the devil and god
and couldn't tell them apart.
Mar 31, 2018 2:38 PM

Jun 2015
kixsoh said:
I'm sure I'm just a pleb but I really don't understand the extreme hate. The only way I can possibly understand is that a lot of the hardcore fans of this show grew up with it or know it as one of the greatest anime ever made so it's something that's very special to them.

People in here are saying the CGI is so off-putting to them that they won't even watch it at all. Is it really that bad or is it just the fact that a modern re-adaptation of your favorite anime is using CGI when the original did not? The CGI looks fucking great to me so far.

I also think a lot of people are underestimating how this will appeal to new fans. If you really love the series so much wouldn't you be excited at the possibility of new fans liking this so much that they go back and watch the original? That means a bigger community, more discussion, more content, etc. Wouldn't that make you happy even in the slightest? As someone who has never seen the original, I for one am very excited for this and hope it turns out well.
Same here. Honestly, the reactions to the very first trailer of the 2018 anime scared me a bit and made me not wanna voice my opinion in front of the fanbase at all. I don't think the Hunter x Hunter fanbase hated the 2011 anime THAT much, and they had more reason to hate on it if you ask me, considering the stark contrast in tone initially.

Whatever, you and I both are looking forward to this a lot. I will gladly join discussions as long as fans of the original anime won't derail the conversations too much.
"If you have time to think of a beautiful end, then why not live beautifully until the end?"- Sakata Gintoki, Gintama
Mar 31, 2018 3:30 PM

Feb 2018
Calista777 said:
Same here. Honestly, the reactions to the very first trailer of the 2018 anime scared me a bit and made me not wanna voice my opinion in front of the fanbase at all. I don't think the Hunter x Hunter fanbase hated the 2011 anime THAT much, and they had more reason to hate on it if you ask me, considering the stark contrast in tone initially.

Whatever, you and I both are looking forward to this a lot. I will gladly join discussions as long as fans of the original anime won't derail the conversations too much.

It's funny because I thought a lot of people ended up liking the 2011 version more lol. From what I've heard it's considered one of the greatest shonen.

And hell yeah! There seems to be a divide because most younger anime viewers (I was born in '95) haven't seen or even heard of LotGH. If this turns out well it will be a great chance for us to really get into the series and that's a great thing for new and old fans alike :)

You should check out the 2nd trailer if you haven't already, it came out a few days ago and got me even more excited. The ship battles look great and the music sounds fantastic from what little we have seen so far. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSB_CX_fTwM) It's crazy too because Steins;Gate is personally my favorite anime and I'm almost as excited for this new re-adaptation as I am for Steins;Gate 0.

I met the devil and god
and couldn't tell them apart.
Mar 31, 2018 7:24 PM
Oct 2014
kixsoh said:
Calista777 said:

It's funny because I thought a lot of people ended up liking the 2011 version more lol.

You thought wrong.
Apr 1, 2018 8:28 AM

Jun 2015
kixsoh said:
Calista777 said:

It's funny because I thought a lot of people ended up liking the 2011 version more lol. From what I've heard it's considered one of the greatest shonen.

And hell yeah! There seems to be a divide because most younger anime viewers (I was born in '95) haven't seen or even heard of LotGH. If this turns out well it will be a great chance for us to really get into the series and that's a great thing for new and old fans alike :)

You should check out the 2nd trailer if you haven't already, it came out a few days ago and got me even more excited. The ship battles look great and the music sounds fantastic from what little we have seen so far. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSB_CX_fTwM) It's crazy too because Steins;Gate is personally my favorite anime and I'm almost as excited for this new re-adaptation as I am for Steins;Gate 0.
I'm also a '95! I've known about Legend of the Galactic Heroes for years and wanted to get into it for a while, but when I found out about the remake, I decided to just watch the remake for now to get into it without any prejudices. And yes, I agree. If the 2018 anime wins over new fans, it has succeeded in its mission just like the Hunter x Hunter 2011 anime did! Older fans can bitch and complain about it all they want, but they still have the original anime (just like the HxH fans do with the 1999 anime). That won't go away. But let this anime be a gateway for new, younger fans and don't ruin their fun too much. A great series deserves to get renewed interest (even if older fans dislike that new product)!

I've already seen the PV2, and I think it looks great! Btw, the opening and ending are on youtube right now. I think they sound great.
"If you have time to think of a beautiful end, then why not live beautifully until the end?"- Sakata Gintoki, Gintama
Apr 16, 2018 6:58 AM
Jan 2014
Takamura-sama said:
They literally ruined everything..?
The character designs are so terrible compared to the original.
The voices don't suit the characters. the art is just yaoi fanboy bait.

The character designs of the 90s anime looks bland, unoriginal and straight up ugly. The voices for this new remake sound great and the characters are way less yaoi looking than the 90s ones...

Sorry to break it to you but you're just being a retard because your mind's clouded with nostalgia.
Aug 28, 2018 3:47 AM

Feb 2017
AndoCommando said:
I can already feel the trainwreck that will be

I need to find who made this and shake their hand
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

» Should I watch the old/original series?

monad04 - May 12, 2018

23 by Brightless »»
Dec 16, 2023 11:15 AM

» Legend of the Galactic Heroes Die Neue These is the 3rd best profit maker for IG Port for 2023

deg - Jul 15, 2023

15 by TRC_Randy »»
Nov 30, 2023 7:01 AM

Poll: » Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu: Die Neue These - Kaikou Episode 11 Discussion

Ulquiorra - Aug 8, 2018

14 by Robbini »»
Oct 1, 2023 4:00 AM

Poll: » Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu: Die Neue These - Kaikou Episode 10 Discussion

Ulquiorra - Aug 8, 2018

12 by Robbini »»
Oct 1, 2023 3:28 AM

Poll: » Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu: Die Neue These - Kaikou Episode 12 Discussion

Mayuka - Aug 8, 2018

33 by Sun_Chan »»
Jun 30, 2023 11:48 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.