Forum Settings
Forums

Manga 'Hunter x Hunter' Resumes Serialization

New
Jan 20, 2018 8:07 AM
Jul 2018
This year's eighth issue of Shueisha's Weekly Shounen Jump magazine, to ship on Monday, will reveal a preview on the magazine's ninth issue, which will confirm that Yoshihiro Togashi's Hunter x Hunter manga is to resume serialization on January 29. It has been previously mentioned on the magazine's first annual issue that the manga series will return. The resuming chapter will feature a colored page.

The battle shounen manga began its serialization in the magazine on March 3, 1998. The series has been subject to frequently-extended hiatuses stemming from irregular releases since 2006. The latest chapter was published on July 4, 2016, followed by yet another hiatus. Hunter x Hunter has compiled 34 volumes so far, with the latest shipped on June 26, 2017. The 35th volume of the manga is scheduled to ship in February. This year, Oricon has ranked the manga's 34th volume eighth in Manga Sales per Volume category in Japan's Yearly Manga and Light Novel Rankings accumulating 1,258,337 copies.

Hunter x Hunter has spawned multiple anime adaptations beginning with Studio Pierrot's standalone OVA that was released at Jump Super Anime Tour in 1998. Nippon Animation animated the first TV anime series that ran between October 16, 1999 to March 31, 2001 for 62 episodes. It was then followed by two eight episode OVAs in 2002 and 2003, and lastly for 14 episodes in 2004. The anime has been rebooted in 2011 by studio Madhouse, this time following the original story more closely. The anime had 148 episodes and was broadcast from October 2011 to September 2014. Two anime movies were also screened in 2013, an original film and a film adaptation from the manga's spin-off story

Viz Media has licensed the anime and manga in English for North American distribution. They have recently released the third blu-ray and DVD set of the 2011 anime adaptation in October while the manga's 33rd volume was released in March last year.

Source: Shounen Jump official site (Screencap)
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jan 20, 2018 8:09 AM

Apr 2016
"began its serialization in the magazine on March 3, 1998"

I think its time to stop mr. mangaka.
Jan 20, 2018 8:10 AM

Dec 2016
Hopefully, he'll finish Dark Continent amirite?
Jan 20, 2018 8:11 AM

Feb 2011
Can somebody explain to me why the publisher allows this guy to interrupt his serialization whenever he wants without any real consequences ?
Jan 20, 2018 8:13 AM

Jan 2016
I'll wait for the next hiatus.
Jan 20, 2018 8:22 AM
#1 Hitagi Lover

Apr 2014
i'd say a good 2 chapters and then another 8 month break
Jan 20, 2018 8:24 AM

Jan 2017
Hatsuyuki said:
Can somebody explain to me why the publisher allows this guy to interrupt his serialization whenever he wants without any real consequences?

Becuase its one of the most well known and loved series in all of manga. Also, it's not like the mangaka is lazy or anything, he has heart and back problems, when he goes on a hiatus, its because he simply cannot write more chapters. He loves Hunter x Hunter and is committed to spreading the world of Hunter x Hunter to us fans.
Jan 20, 2018 8:28 AM

Apr 2009
Bit late on that report, MAL.

Oh well, looking forward to the annual 9-10 chapters.
Steel Ball Run anime when?
Jan 20, 2018 8:30 AM
Jul 2018
Hatsuyuki said:
Can somebody explain to me why the publisher allows this guy to interrupt his serialization whenever he wants without any real consequences ?
It's Yoshihro Togashi we are talking about here, a legendary mangaka that was in the golden generation of WSJ. The man who created a classic hit Yu Yu Haksuho in the 90s. He's been on and off with serializations due to back problems that he's been having for a long time. Why doesn't he get in trouble with the publishers you may ask? Fame & Status I would say. An HxH volume makes more than a million per copy. Togashi / HxH has a strong fanbase that allows him to go on these hiatus and they'll still support him with every volume release and of course being a mangaka is not easy. It can deteriorate one's health.
Jan 20, 2018 8:30 AM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
Probably 9-10 chapters, so he can release another volume that'll give him enough money to take a break for 9+ months.

@Hatsuyuki Togashi is a really famous dude. A HxH volume can easily sell more than 1 million copies, and the only other currently-publishing series that can achieve that is One Piece and Shingeki no Kyojin. HxH is the 8th highest-selling series for Shueisha (in total sales). Considering how HxH only has like 30+ volumes (while all the other series above it is long-running stuff like Naruto, Bleach and One Piece), it's a remarkable feat. And the mangaka created Yu Yu Haksuho, which had an average of 2.6 million per volume, which is insane. And YYH is ranked 10th for Shueisha, with only 19 volumes.
GoldenDevilGamerJan 20, 2018 8:37 AM
Jan 20, 2018 8:35 AM

Jan 2013
Hatsuyuki said:
Because hes Godashi thats why
Jan 20, 2018 8:55 AM
Jan 2018
Good ol' few chapters. At the least, it's becoming more interesting.

And, you guys gotta admit, the LOOONNNGGG breaks compensated for its quality.

Don't forget, this series supposed to be neck to neck with the long running series like Naruto, One Piece, Detective Conan, etc. Not just with the format, but it started off just average. It became more interesting with the green island arc, chimera ant arc, and soon, the dark continent arc. Other Arcs were good, but just your usual arc like the other series.

I imagine if these series were in the same position where they can take long breaks, I'm sure these series will be more interesting like HxH.

I know he has health issues, but give props to both sides.

Surely those long breaks helped to make the arcs great.
Jan 20, 2018 9:02 AM
Dec 2013
Nice to know that this hiatus was shorter than the last one (this hiatus = 5 months; last hiatus = 51 weeks). Can't wait for chapter 371 to drop. The latest chapter was really interesting. Hoping Hisoka to at least make an appearance in the next 10 chapters.
wildhoodJan 20, 2018 9:06 AM
Jan 20, 2018 9:06 AM

Apr 2017
good news.

but yeah, let's wait for another hiatuses.
S-quare22Jan 20, 2018 9:25 AM

"elles sont bien noires
les pensées des nuits blanches"

Jan 20, 2018 9:09 AM

Apr 2014
As if he would be doing it for months.
So uhm, another Hiatus when?
Haters always gonna hate.
Jan 20, 2018 9:11 AM

Sep 2017
i'm worried he'll die before he even finishes the manga.
Edward Elric > your waifu

Jan 20, 2018 9:13 AM

May 2015
What's happening ?

The manga is progressing too fast for me now, I can't keep up !
Jan 20, 2018 9:14 AM

Mar 2016
I don't read the manga but I hope he can finish the manga,

question for those who reads it, does it have an ongoing long arc?
Jan 20, 2018 9:21 AM

Jun 2014
Well I can't wait for another volume worth of chapters before the next hiatus.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Jan 20, 2018 9:28 AM

Apr 2017
youseiki said:
I don't read the manga but I hope he can finish the manga,

question for those who reads it, does it have an ongoing long arc?

the dark continent arc is the current arc in the manga, no one knows if it's going to be a long arc or not, it depends on togashi himself.

he hasn't released too many chapters yet, he's so lazy.

"elles sont bien noires

Jan 20, 2018 9:44 AM

Mar 2016
S-quare22 said:

the dark continent arc is the current arc in the manga, no one knows if it's going to be a long arc or not, it depends on togashi himself.

thanks, I don't wanna read his manga till he finishes his current arc, well it would be nice if someone could pen for him that he has only have to make story board.
Jan 20, 2018 9:47 AM

Jan 2013
Nezperdian said:
Make your bets. How long until the next hiatus?
Just enough chapters for a volume, so 10 or 11. That's been his formula for a while now
Jan 20, 2018 9:52 AM

Apr 2017
youseiki said:
S-quare22 said:

thanks, I don't wanna read his manga till he finishes his current arc, well it would be nice if someone could pen for him that he has only have to make story board.

you are welcome.
yes, it is a great idea.

"elles sont bien noires

Jan 20, 2018 10:02 AM
Aug 2013
Dlwuik said:

same. how bad is his condition? is it more like a thing that bothers him but his overall life expectancy is mostly unchanged or not? I mean it'd be terrible if that happened. what would they even do? give it to some other mangaka?
Imagination is a weapon. Those who don't use it die first.
Jan 20, 2018 10:49 AM

Nov 2011
I hope it continues for a whole year for 2018 but I have doubts. This run will probably last until Summer. Glad to see it returning but I hope I'll be alive by the time HxH ends one day.
Jan 20, 2018 11:01 AM

Dec 2011
oh it's happening again
hopefully it continues for a while

Jan 20, 2018 11:22 AM

Feb 2015
I haven't even read the latest HxH chapters from his last return.

Also it just me do his hiatuses seem much compared to a few years ago?

Jan 20, 2018 11:33 AM

Nov 2007
I hope he remains healthy. I don't follow the manga but I really hope he finishes it or gives a timeline so that we get a sequel anime adaptation. But then there is Madhouse.
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Jan 20, 2018 11:34 AM

Oct 2010
Hiatus X Hiatus as its better known. This is a series where I genuinely worry that it will not be finished before the author is deceased.
Jan 20, 2018 11:44 AM

Dec 2017
Togashi should just stop with Hunter x Hunter and start working back with Level E. It's clear he doesn't have any interest in HxH now.
Jan 20, 2018 11:55 AM
Dec 2016
I don't know why you guys take this piece of shit's side. Dude is just a lazy fuck. There are tons of interviews with him and in each and every one of them he admits/brags about the fact that he is just lazing around.

There should really be some laws limiting you from abusing your IPs, I mean after some time and when you get bigger than a certain size you should be legally bound to answer to your fans. Then we wouldn't have to put up with this kind of crap. This also goes for Miura and Inoue.

I mean come on, we all know that his art-style is shit and there are tons of people who'd love to draw this manga, and of course the average mangaka would do a better job doing it. He can even get someone to just copy his art style if it's so important for the story. Back pain is just an excuse, dude still finds time to finish all Im@s games in a day or two after their release. FFS just sit/lay down, dictate the story to someone, draw some names (or have them do it) and then the assistants/co-mangakas would do the rest. Just do this and then you can drop dead for all I care.
mazloom1994Jan 20, 2018 11:58 AM
Jan 20, 2018 12:03 PM

Jul 2016
Why doesn’t he just write the plot and dialogue hire a full time illustrator? That’s what American comic writers do
Jan 20, 2018 12:36 PM
Jul 2018
I thought he would return on last December or maybe couldn't because he underestimated DQ11?. Anyway, hopefully by now he is fully ok and can continue this time for at least 6 month this time -_-

Jan 20, 2018 12:41 PM

Sep 2013
Jorgevy said:
Dlwuik said:

same. how bad is his condition? is it more like a thing that bothers him but his overall life expectancy is mostly unchanged or not? I mean it'd be terrible if that happened. what would they even do? give it to some other mangaka?

He was fat and had back problems but he's recently lost weight so that's why he's been drawing more frequently.
He is committed to finishing hxh.
Jan 20, 2018 1:03 PM
Jul 2018
Chapter Predictions:

1: Nen Beasts
2: More Nen Beasts
3: Political Affairs
4: Political Affairs
5: Political Affairs
6: Phantom Troupe
7: Phantom Troupe
8: Ging, Gon, and Killua
9: The Expedition's Progress
Jan 20, 2018 1:17 PM

Mar 2014
Nice. I don't want to bitch about this like I'm doing with Berserk because Togashi has health problems, so I'm just hoping this resumption lasts long enough.
Jan 20, 2018 1:38 PM

Aug 2016
mazloom1994 said:
I don't know why you guys take this piece of shit's side. Dude is just a lazy fuck. There are tons of interviews with him and in each and every one of them he admits/brags about the fact that he is just lazing around.

There should really be some laws limiting you from abusing your IPs, I mean after some time and when you get bigger than a certain size you should be legally bound to answer to your fans. Then we wouldn't have to put up with this kind of crap. This also goes for Miura and Inoue.

I mean come on, we all know that his art-style is shit and there are tons of people who'd love to draw this manga, and of course the average mangaka would do a better job doing it. He can even get someone to just copy his art style if it's so important for the story. Back pain is just an excuse, dude still finds time to finish all Im@s games in a day or two after their release. FFS just sit/lay down, dictate the story to someone, draw some names (or have them do it) and then the assistants/co-mangakas would do the rest. Just do this and then you can drop dead for all I care.

the only one lazy and with shit taste here is u.. wwoooo
Jan 20, 2018 1:58 PM

Feb 2016
WTF hiatus x hiatus is back???!!!
Jan 20, 2018 2:49 PM
otp haver 🤪

Jul 2017
Maybe I'll pick it back up again, extremely happy that he's got a better schedule for release now.

Hatsuyuki said:

Other then health issues he's made two other extremely popular series for SJW so there's that. Takes some respect to get this kind of treatment to be honest.
Jan 20, 2018 2:51 PM
otp haver 🤪

Jul 2017
Smpavement said:
Why doesn’t he just write the plot and dialogue hire a full time illustrator? That’s what American comic writers do

He's made it abundantly clear he wants to do all the work himself and it's his opus as a manga. He doesn't even have assistants like most mangaka do.
Jan 20, 2018 4:18 PM

Sep 2016
If he drops 12 chapters this year its a win
Jan 20, 2018 6:18 PM

Oct 2013
So lame, I'm over this overrated manga, dropped it and did not feel any regrets.

Move on with your life folks, the manga best part was the phantom troupe arc, the current arc is so boring and uninteresting.

Hate to say this to fans, but since series wont end, because togashi going to milk it for life or end it like yu yu hackushoo, this is why I have lost interest in most battle shounen series, because they can go on as long as they feel like.

Jan 20, 2018 7:16 PM

Aug 2013
To those who think Togashi is just super lazy, I implore you to read into his note on why he ended Yu Yu Hakusho.

Part 1 / Part 2

/RYM/
Jan 20, 2018 7:36 PM

Oct 2014
eroyal said:
To those who think Togashi is just super lazy, I implore you to read into his note on why he ended Yu Yu Hakusho.

Part 1 / Part 2

I don't blame him.

Mangakas already have to work like 24/7 when his or her series take off.
Having to work so much will break most ppl guaranteed.
Jan 20, 2018 7:54 PM

Sep 2007
I hope his health is holding up okay ;;
Jan 20, 2018 7:57 PM

Apr 2016
I see most people blame him for no good reason. Mangaka is also a human being, he has his own problems, especially the health of his back that continues to recur and worsen (I understand because it also happens with my father). Mangaka is always pursued deadlines, some even push themselves when conditions are not so good (that's reasonable because of job demands).

The important thing is that he remains healthy. Perhaps it's the right choice if he immediately ends this series. Even the worst scenario, fans do not accept if this series is done by other people not by Togashi himself.
Jan 20, 2018 11:11 PM

Jul 2016
Stripesu said:
Smpavement said:

He's made it abundantly clear he wants to do all the work himself and it's his opus as a manga. He doesn't even have assistants like most mangaka do.

I respect that it’s his baby, but I don’t personally see how doing a rough outline of each page and letting someone do the details means giving up creative control, and most HxH fans I’ve met don’t think he’s a good illustrator to begin with
Jan 20, 2018 11:31 PM

Feb 2011
tanukischarm said:
I see most people blame him for no good reason. Mangaka is also a human being, he has his own problems, especially the health of his back that continues to recur and worsen (I understand because it also happens with my father). Mangaka is always pursued deadlines, some even push themselves when conditions are not so good (that's reasonable because of job demands).

The important thing is that he remains healthy. Perhaps it's the right choice if he immediately ends this series. Even the worst scenario, fans do not accept if this series is done by other people not by Togashi himself.

Yeah ? I'm also a human being and I'm not allowed to go to work only 1 month and take the rest of the year off. At some point everyone will have some sort of health issues, but it's his stubbornness to get help and actually try to finish this story that most people lost interest in anyway because of the long hiatuses that pisses me off so much.
Jan 21, 2018 12:22 AM

Jan 2014
Hatsuyuki said:
tanukischarm said:

Yeah ? I'm also a human being and I'm not allowed to go to work only 1 month and take the rest of the year off. At some point everyone will have some sort of health issues, but it's his stubbornness to get help and actually try to finish this story that most people lost interest in anyway because of the long hiatuses that pisses me off so much.

You can only take 1 month? You live in poor Africa or what? XDD Health is more important than job. Togashi is not the only one which has many hiatuses If you lost interest hxh than dont read this manga.

keragamming said:
So lame, I'm over this overrated manga, dropped it and did not feel any regrets.

Move on with your life folks, the manga best part was the phantom troupe arc, the current arc is so boring and uninteresting.

Hate to say this to fans, but since series wont end, because togashi going to milk it for life or end it like yu yu hackushoo, this is why I have lost interest in most battle shounen series, because they can go on as long as they feel like.

Hunter x Hunter is better than Attack on titan. :)
Jan 21, 2018 12:29 AM

Feb 2011
Taito10 said:
Hatsuyuki said:

You can only take 1 month? You live in poor Africa or what? XDD Health is more important than job. Togashi is not the only one which has many hiatuses If you lost interest hxh than dont read this manga.

keragamming said:

Hunter x Hunter is better than Attack on titan. :)

I think you need to re-read my statement because you clearly didn't understand what i meant
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» TAAF 2024 Anime of the Year Winners Announced

Snow - 7 hours ago

3 by Maumuu »»
9 minutes ago

» 'Yuri!!! on Ice: Ice Adolescence' Anime Movie Cancels Production ( 1 2 )

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

65 by Stardew »»
13 minutes ago

» Manga 'Dungeon Meshi' Gets TV Anime ( 1 2 )

DatRandomDude - Aug 9, 2022

53 by Dark_Reunion007 »»
4 hours ago

» 'Wind Breaker' Announces Additional Cast

Hyperion_PS - Yesterday

4 by Memore »»
Yesterday, 11:26 PM

» Manga 'Ane Naru Mono' Gets OVA Adaptation

Vindstot - Jan 5, 2020

28 by lucio54 »»
Yesterday, 10:11 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.