Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jan 5, 2018 2:07 AM

Oct 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
This episode left me a bit conflicted. While I think it was effective to some degree, I feel like Akira and his parents didn't get the development needed to make a serious impact. It didn't stop me from fully enjoying the episode, I just think it could've used some extra feeling to engross a bit more.

The smile Ryo had as he was watching Akira and his parents suffer was chilling. Probably my favorite minor detail of the episode.
Jan 5, 2018 5:14 AM
Jul 2018
"I WANTED TO EAT YOUR MOTHER"

LMAO
Jan 5, 2018 8:46 AM

Nov 2017
Good to see they adapted this demon! I think OVA did the reveal a bit better, but this version was by far more emotional. Maybe it could have been handled a bit better, it had little to no subtleties to it, but I feel like this sufficed.
Jan 5, 2018 9:15 AM
Jul 2018
VanishingKira said:
Yeah the development between Akira and his parents could have been handled better.

His parents were literally:
Akira dad: Try to beat the demon,ohh you failed now you're dead.
Akira's mom: Akira come.Akira come.Akira come,run to me boy
the manga had a kid that akira previously knew and there was basically no attachment to that kid. The parent were a good decision imo
Jan 5, 2018 9:23 AM

Nov 2013
For those who has read the manga first, what do you think about this episode?

I haven't read this manga. So, sorry if I'm biased here.
I think it looks like the story were cramped too much that there's no actual explanation with Akira's relation with his parents other than the fact that both of his parents are doctors that went around the world, so much that they don't have enough time to visit their child for so long. It's proved by looking at her phone's lock screen, his parents-in-law's conversation, and conversation with Ryou.
GethemalotJan 5, 2018 9:26 AM
Jan 5, 2018 11:53 AM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
Adding Akira's parents into the story was a good idea, but the execution was lacking. I was liking the direction it was going at first, his parents are people that saves lives as doctors and Akira's saving lives as Devilman. But the ending bit was kinda rushed. We don't get to see Akira's parents much to get any sort of attachment to them, so the final scene felt lacking in impact. Still a good episode, just not as great as I was hoping it to be.

4/5
Jan 5, 2018 1:33 PM

Mar 2014
Hmm the emotional part was a bit rushed if you ask me, but it was still a very enjoyable episode. Also lmaooo Ryo was filming the incident nonchalantly in the back XD
Jan 5, 2018 3:59 PM

Dec 2016
Interesting so Jinmen is Akira's dad in this version and his mom is one of the victims.
Jan 6, 2018 9:18 AM

Apr 2015
Miki's little brother sure has a fascination with illegal drugs.

So Akira's parents are (or rather were) alive...they're just "so busy" they sent him away with another family and occasionally send him shoes? That's kinda fucked.

And now his parents are dead. Man, his life is rough.
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Jan 6, 2018 6:19 PM
Jul 2018
I had so much respect for Kukun but it took only one scene to throw that away.
Jan 6, 2018 7:52 PM

Aug 2009
Nexxkinn said:
For those who has read the manga first, what do you think about this episode?

I haven't read this manga. So, sorry if I'm biased here.
I think it looks like the story were cramped too much that there's no actual explanation with Akira's relation with his parents other than the fact that both of his parents are doctors that went around the world, so much that they don't have enough time to visit their child for so long. It's proved by looking at her phone's lock screen, his parents-in-law's conversation, and conversation with Ryou.

I actually prefer the manga version of this scene where the turtle demon, aka Jinmen tried to justify his actions by saying he didn't kill anyone, he just ate them, and how he's better than humans who kill. The fight also went on longer.
Jan 7, 2018 8:48 AM
Jan 2018
Are we not gonna comment in the episode after the massacre on the bus this guy possibly kills the good damn woman with his penis?
Jan 7, 2018 1:39 PM

Jan 2013
Good episode again, held my interest all the way through.
I thought Kukun was a pretty nice guy, but maybe that image of him will be ruined soon.
Jan 7, 2018 1:49 PM

Jun 2009
It seems like both Devilman, The Guyver and Parasyte both had to deal with the main character fighting their parents after they turn into monsters oddly enough.
Jan 7, 2018 5:03 PM

May 2015
Damn, the confrontation with that demon was both incredibly intense and sad...

Jan 7, 2018 7:43 PM

Nov 2012
The guy with dreadlocks and sunglasses is now officially an A+ certified badass. That was the most over-the-top proposal I've ever seen. Hilarious.
Jan 8, 2018 2:38 PM

Dec 2016
That bus scene was brutal

Also the ending, as soon as I saw they were at a Sabbath I knew what was going to happen. The aftermath of that is probably going to be pretty crazy
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Jan 8, 2018 6:09 PM

Nov 2014
It was smart to dial down the lewdness for an episode, and focus on the interpersonal relationships. Too much of the same thing will eventually lose its impact on the audience.

R.I.P. Akira's parents. How did they get demon possessed, anyhow?

5/5
Jan 9, 2018 1:06 AM

Oct 2008
The thirsty horny Mikiko hooked-up with a rapper! and looks like they are in a pinch!
what!? Akira's parent are instant fodder!?!?
4/5.

Jan 9, 2018 1:14 AM

Jan 2011
here i am again, while this episode was done well i still feel it was a tad rushed with his parents up until the flashbacks i was thinking they were already dead or something but they kinda just left?

Kukun was cool was liking the arc between those two but then Sabbath happened again...c'mon ! ,plus did no one shut it down after a mass murder occurred

contrast between Ryo and Akria is still strong he was enjoying filming his best friend fight his parents
Jan 9, 2018 2:42 AM

Jan 2009
rest in peace parents of Akira

and looks like Miko is next to die damn after she got a lover of her own too
Jan 11, 2018 5:47 PM

Dec 2009
Zeexy12 said:
Are we not gonna comment in the episode after the massacre on the bus this guy possibly kills the good damn woman with his penis?

It was his tail but yeah, that imagery. Also pretty weird how the bus driver just kept driving his bus while a massacre happened in the back. Perhaps he assumed the situation might resolve itself!

I feel bad for his parents, but there should have definitely been taken some more time to develop Akira's relation with his parents, as they literally came and went within a single episode.

Also saw Miko/Miki's development coming from a mile away. She came off as that insecure girl from the get-go that feels overshadowed by people, and why do people make deals with the devil in this story? To upgrade themselves. So either she dies trying next episode or becomes a devil and thus the next danger in the story, probably.
Jan 13, 2018 10:07 PM

Aug 2016
good thing i read the manga and watched the ovas before this
:v
Jan 14, 2018 6:20 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
IN the airport, a new free show of blood and violence!!!! kekeke
Jan 18, 2018 6:13 AM

Feb 2013
That was painful and sad, poor Akira.
Jan 19, 2018 6:49 AM

May 2017
lordzeru said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
This episode left me a bit conflicted. While I think it was effective to some degree, I feel like Akira and his parents didn't get the development needed to make a serious impact. It didn't stop me from fully enjoying the episode, I just think it could've used some extra feeling to engross a bit more.

The smile Ryo had as he was watching Akira and his parents suffer was chilling. Probably my favorite minor detail of the episode.

I agree completely, his parents basically just appeared in a single episode only to die in that same episode, makes the impact little to nothing

Also, I honestly didn't see the smile, what time was it?
Jan 19, 2018 7:14 AM

Feb 2015
I feel like if they talked about his parents in an earlier episode this would have more impact. Still a great episode though.
Jan 19, 2018 4:48 PM

Nov 2016
What I personally liked the most about this episode was the side plot centered around Mayuta and Miko. Hope they're ok,the cliffhanger was nasty.

But I guess Miko could get exactly what she wanted.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jan 19, 2018 10:28 PM

Oct 2011
TsundeReaper said:
lordzeru said:

I agree completely, his parents basically just appeared in a single episode only to die in that same episode, makes the impact little to nothing

Also, I honestly didn't see the smile, what time was it?

It was sometime during the fight, while Ryo was recording with the camera. He was behind the camera smiling gleefully while Akira was being forced to cut down the remains of his parents. I can't remember the exact time as it's been a few weeks now since I've seen the show.
Jan 20, 2018 2:03 AM

Jun 2016
Glad this covered the parents of Akira since in the live-action (which is the only Devilman-related I'd watched) they weren't showed or whatnot. RIP Akira's parents.

Anyhoo, honestly, this show is good? So far, I still don't get why people find it good. It's an okay show, heck it might be good. Lol.

"Maybe he's trying to take a shit, but the shit just won't come out."
Captain Levi, 2014
(/^-^)/☆♪♪☆\(^0^\)
Jan 21, 2018 1:38 PM

Feb 2013
Just wander around an airport as if there is no security... maybe there isn't in japan?
Jan 23, 2018 6:50 PM

May 2010
Dunno, I don't really care about the lack of impact. Too much emotional shit like that would derail the show's momentum at this point, and tear the focus away from the threads already woven. In other words, there is too much shit going on to really spend time building dramatic deaths that tear at heart strings, and doing that would kinda ruin the vibe of this show. I support the director's decision to make the deaths quick, showing the impact on the protagonist but not needlessly drawing us in.
“Money can't buy dere”
Jan 27, 2018 4:29 AM

Feb 2009
Seabury said:
Dunno, I don't really care about the lack of impact. Too much emotional shit like that would derail the show's momentum at this point, and tear the focus away from the threads already woven. In other words, there is too much shit going on to really spend time building dramatic deaths that tear at heart strings, and doing that would kinda ruin the vibe of this show. I support the director's decision to make the deaths quick, showing the impact on the protagonist but not needlessly drawing us in.

Exactly my thoughts. I even would strengthen the statement with remark that dramatic deaths would be a bit of a bad taste at the show's current point. It's telling us a story of Akira's descend into abyss, and this is just a step down not the show's main focus. His parents' death had dramatic impact on him of course, but we've seen it, and no further details are necessary. I wonder if it was in Yuasa's guidelines to episode director or Shimoyama himself. Whatever the case, I appreciate the directorial choice.
adiosJan 27, 2018 4:41 AM
Jan 28, 2018 8:55 PM
Jun 2017
I quite liked this episode, but a lot took place in 23 minutes... I have to say though, I do love the way rap is incorporated in this anime. I thought it was going to stay isolated in the first episode! They way it was used in this episode was rather cute :)
Feb 4, 2018 6:53 AM

Jun 2013
Ain't gonna lie... I felt absolutely nothing when his parents died and that's coming from someone whose both parents passed away in real life. There was no time to feel anything for them. I forgot Akirs even had parents to begin with. I thought they already died.

I'm sure they could have executed this episode and executed his parents in a better way. Didn't care much for his mom either even though she kept telling him she was already dead, he was like, "huh?" lol

Also, the way she reacted when Akira transformed into Devilman:

Dead but concerned mom: OMG MY SON'S A DEMON!

Akira: No, I'm devilman.

Dead mom: Oh.

BTW, I ship Miko and Kukun. Kukun want some of dat Miko ass and tits. I don't blame him. I bet he'd treat her better than that fucking photographer.
臭い-
Feb 5, 2018 7:31 AM

Dec 2014
well every episode people die..it seems this will get more and more depressing after every episode
Feb 8, 2018 2:34 AM

Jul 2013
Lol what fucking shitty parents. No sympathy whatsoever for them. Big boobs girls will probably turn into a demon too what a waste.
Feb 10, 2018 1:46 PM

Sep 2011
As if things didn't already escalate quickly, they escalated even faster. A demon possesses Akira's father, kills everyone on the bus, including Akira's mother, and uses their faces as part of him to make Akira think they're still alive. While more development for Akira's parents could have been done, it's still an intense episode.
Hellbender87Feb 10, 2018 2:39 PM
Mar 1, 2018 12:20 PM
Jan 2018
Poor Akira ;~;
Still, I really liked the cinematography and directing of this episode, especially when Akira is confronting his dad/demon at the end.
Overall good episode~
Mar 6, 2018 2:47 AM

Jul 2016
Parents arrive.

Parents die.

So the cycle of life continues
Mar 12, 2018 5:00 PM

Jul 2017
Oh no! I wish the cute couple did not end up at that Sabbath. The stuff with Akira and his parents was weird and tragic. I feel like it was somewhat ineffective in a way, but that scene with the heads on the turtle monster is very memorable.
Apr 2, 2018 2:32 PM

Jun 2016
The melodrama of introducing parents, giving us flashbacks, sad music, and a scene focused on all of that was sloppy. The way it was executed was the first real bad part of the series. That being said, I don't think the episode was bad, or that it shouldn't have been the case. The point was to give an impact on Akira, and to give us some thematic ideas. It did those beautifully whole also showing us Ryo's haunting side once again. The second his dad tried to fight against the devil, he took out a camera with a smile on his face. That was chilling. Unless his parents were set up to be there at the same time by Ryo or something and there's more behind the scene workings going on this was rushed, and even if that's the case the melodrama sticks around.

Seabury said:

I fully agree with this statement, but I do think if that's what Yuasa was attempting to do he should have done it without what I stated above. Because it was done so seriously with such emotional focus it created a thick layer of unwanted melodrama.

My favorite part of the scene was how it brought up the idea that humans, and Devilman himself aren't that much better then devils. Akira exclaimed he won't tolerate someone who takes peoples lives. Yet he killed at least two devils in the past who were fleeing, one of which was begging for its life ruthlessly. There's a double standard here. Moreover, Ryo is his best friend and someone who mercilessly shoots a child's 'mask' face, and tried to kill Miki, and whom Akira saw shoot Nagasaki when he wasn't a threat anymore. Ryo is just as bad as some of these devils, and Devilman himself isn't opposed to taking life. I think the talk about dried bonito flakes "writhing in agony from being shaved so thin" was an early idea to get us thinking about this. Even if our food isn't actually alive and in pain, we often kill and take life in cruel ways for our own enjoyment in food.

I also think the scene itself was built up to well. The way we saw Akira imitating his dads story about those flakes with even similar body language, and the way he hadn't heard his moms voice in so long, and the way that he had a mountain of shoes bought and sent to him. He was always running so he could catch up to them, so they sent him shoes for track constantly, some which it seems to imply he didn't even use and he only did to make them happy. It was some amazing directing to showcase Akira running towards his parents, with his shoes tied like they taught him, being juxtaposed with him as a child growing running towards them, tears still flowing down his face. What a miserable way to finally catch up.

Another idea this scene triggered me to think about was the fact that Akira doesn't seem like the strongest person, although I can't say he has a weak will. He's an odd candidate for someone who could tame and control Amon, this legendary devil that the other devils are looking for. It made me think, I wonder if Amon is actually allowing himself to be used right now, or if something else is going on with Ryo pulling the strings. We did however see that people can fight against the devils. Akira's father, when inspired, fought back and to avoid losing to a 'weak human heart' it cut off his fathers head and in turn his brain so it could have complete control of the body. That's an interesting way to do it. What this shows though is that even Akira's father threatened to beat out this demon and he was so much of a risk it had to fight back. Clearly his father had some level of agency speaking to Akira and stating he wanted to eat his mother. The devil often controls most of one's actions but there's certainly a level of agency they keep, the faces on him clearly had memories and conscious experience as well.

I loved the casual nature of Ryo telling Akira that he set his moms ringtone to the one that was playing while they were butting heads. It was cutely funny. I also laughed when Akira told Ryo that Miki doesn't know anything and he played the audio tape disproving that.

I googled the meaning of snapdragon since that symbolism seems important and it read:

Legend has it that concealing a snapdragon makes a person appear fascinating and cordial, and in the language of flowers, snapdragons are said to represent both deception (perhaps tied to the notion of concealment) and graciousness.

If this holds truth, it seems like it could be some foreshadowing yet it also expands on her character. She plants them to appear fascinating, all she wants is to be herself. In Kikun's words "let me like myself more!'. I'm becoming more and more sympathetic for her. She's a poor girl, I hope the two get out of Sabbath. Her need to beat the popular Miki at something is what's driven her to want to go to Sabbath to become fast like the super-highschooler who was suspected of doping, and who we saw kill his manager. Kikun's rap was great and it spoke volumes to why he's so enamored with her, he feels like the two are similar, or so I think.
Apr 9, 2018 7:53 AM

Aug 2017
Good episode developing Akira. Yes, is a weak episode but it feels emotional. The bus scene was interesting. 4/5
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Apr 23, 2018 12:04 PM

May 2010
Why the heck do these teenagers keep coming to Sabbath parties, when all these demons keep popping out and killing people off in the most gory way possible lol.

Can't say I cared for Akira's parents, they were pretty cruel to their only kid, but I do feel bad for him :<
Nov 4, 2018 6:29 AM

Oct 2013
Watching this dubbed, the highlight of this episode was that rap dude rapping. In English. Most of the time, and every other time in this series thus far as well, that shit remains untranslated, so it's strange that in this one scenario a rap was written in English and the VA performed it. Strange, but very cool.

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Nov 24, 2018 1:40 PM

Apr 2018
Man, poor Akira.
Such an epic, but also really sad episode...
Though I love it so far!
Feb 24, 2019 3:04 AM

May 2016
Tragic that Akira's parents flew all the way back to Japan after years to reunite with their son who they always loved but never got to spend time with get brutally murdered by a demon who had possessed the father and devoured the mother only to steal her face along with others and merge them into its twisted body to psychologically taunt Akira. Even if his mother was just an accessory to a monster, at least he got some closure from her right before she allowed herself to be killed again. His dad getting killed while he was fighting the devil from within was pretty sad too. I hope that Ryo didn't get a kick from watching all that.

I was rooting for Kikun and hardworking Miki to be a couple that will help each other become better individuals through each other's help after that really long confession "song" that was as cute as it was embarrassing to watch but I guess I expected too much from them. She wanted to get doped and he took her anyway so they ended up having to deal with a devil as a result.

Mar 7, 2019 12:55 PM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
Danae said:
Hmm the emotional part was a bit rushed if you ask me, but it was still a very enjoyable episode. Also lmaooo Ryo was filming the incident nonchalantly in the back XD

True enough but the score still managed to make me feel sad regardless, they could have handled this better for sure, but it was still a fucked up episode, I knew this would turn left when suddently his dad is taken over by a demon and kills his mom, no one is fucking save on this world...

Kinda reminds me of Parasite Maxim in a way.
Mar 10, 2019 3:17 AM
EOussama

Dec 2016
I always assumed that Akira was an orphan from that flashback with him and Ryo from years ago, it was a surprise to hear that they were still alive, but not as big of a surprise to have them die at the very episode they were introduced in, it's become almost a rule for similar shows to have it this way. But it was, nevertheless hard to see that happen in real time.
I found it especially sadder when that guy said something about having work to do even after dying, goes to see how some people are so attached to their work they would unconsciously say stuff like that it's scary, especially that you know this kind of stuff 100% happens in the real world.
It's great to have the show focus on another character alongside following the main plotline, that girl looked innocent and also did that rapper, I' sad to see them go the wrong path.
Mar 25, 2019 1:01 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Eoussama said:
I always assumed that Akira was an orphan from that flashback with him and Ryo from years ago, it was a surprise to hear that they were still alive, but not as big of a surprise to have them die at the very episode they were introduced in, it's become almost a rule for similar shows to have it this way. But it was, nevertheless hard to see that happen in real time.
I found it especially sadder when that guy said something about having work to do even after dying, goes to see how some people are so attached to their work they would unconsciously say stuff like that it's scary, especially that you know this kind of stuff 100% happens in the real world.
It's great to have the show focus on another character alongside following the main plotline, that girl looked innocent and also did that rapper, I' sad to see them go the wrong path.

^ Exactly sums up with my thoughts on this episode.
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Have a small doubt!

Jai_akash - Apr 18

5 by catfelix »»
Apr 18, 6:01 PM

Poll: » Devilman: Crybaby Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

lordzeru - Jan 5, 2018

517 by KitanoKen66 »»
Mar 12, 1:33 PM

Poll: » Devilman: Crybaby Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

lordzeru - Jan 5, 2018

92 by Fortress_Maximus »»
Mar 6, 2:54 PM

Poll: » Devilman: Crybaby Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

lordzeru - Jan 5, 2018

159 by Isca_Riot »»
Mar 5, 8:20 AM

» Why do people love it so much ( 1 2 )

Bardocen - Sep 18, 2021

53 by xONLYINHUMANx »»
Feb 18, 6:31 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.