Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (11) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
Jan 10, 2018 4:28 PM

Sep 2010
jgomezg said:
Honestly, the manga version of Miki gets some cool moments but generally was not much of a participant in events. Let's not claim she was given a lot of importance. Her relationship with Akira was also more superficial at the start. I think the anime's version of Miki makes a lot more sense from a thematic perspective, in the context of Yuasa's story, even if I liked the original's fiery attitude.

Manga Miki's relationship with Akira's is meant to be more superficial (beyond what Akira grasps and latches at her in his desperation after he believes Ryo betrayed him, not before), this wasn't accidental, it was purposeful because it was a contrast to Satan's relationship with Akira. Why do you think Akira pretty much makes it all water under the bridge when he sees Satan cry and broods over his/her crying hell for ages in Hell?

Miki is the girl who always falls in love with the demon possessing Akira's corpse in all variants of Devilman, for God's sake. She did in the TV series, which started it all (it's older than the manga). Fittingly, she only becomes attracted to Akira when he demons up.

jgomezg said:
I disagree with the cynical idea that being nice and peaceful person is unrealistic, because many real human beings have been pacifists and helpful towards others. That contrast wasn't reflected in Miki during the manga, but in this anime it plays a role in conveying the message.

Which isn't related to the manga character at all. Might as well make a new character, huh? For once I want to see Miki driving a knife into someone's skull over her preaching about peace and understanding. She tamed Devilman (Amon) in the Tv series with her multiple slaps to his face.

jgomezg said:
Concerning Ryo, I think Ryo only had a little more explicit "passion, conflict and empathy" in the manga. The difference is more about his level of emotional maturity before realizing he is Satan. Furthermore, this version ends up being more about the emotional limitations that prevented both Ryo and Satan, in Yuasa's perspective, from recognizing why Akira was defending humanity, while the one in the original work makes it more about the rationalization behind Satan's actions at the end.

Manga Ryo (And Satan for that matter) are consumed by their grand cause (to save humans/to save demons), sacrificing their personal lives and ties as means to and end to their goal. He's very much an idealistic dangerous teenager of pre-apathetic generation. I don't care what "this version" means, if you adapt a character, you don't butcher all his characterization to make him irrecognizable to turn him into some mouthpiece of your message, go make your own anime and original story instead of trying to pass this as Devilman. Hell, make it about some bunch of OCs set in Devilman universe like that OC Miko and others that blatantly replaced the manga cast without needing any superficial connection the the canon characters.
Jan 10, 2018 5:21 PM
Jul 2015
CaptainZoro said:

I lol'd when dat Devil dude started speaking japanese with an Indian accent xD
Super weird! I had to rewind and make sure I heard that right lol that was gold right there.
Jan 10, 2018 5:36 PM
Feb 2016
JUST FINISHED!!! DID SATAN DIE AT THE END??? and why are there two moons
Jan 10, 2018 5:38 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
@Thess
Your insight on the manga is greatly appreciated :) I kept your first(?) comment in mind when I wrote my closing thought about wanting to read the manga. And in the comment which you mentioned me, you've interested me further regarding the Devilman franchise. I think the biggest failure in Crybaby is Ryo, and hearing that the manga doesn't have this problem is a bit relieving. I definitely didn't see the important of Ryo to Akira in Crybaby, unlike what you said about their relationship in the manga. Here, it just seemed like, cool, they're close childhood friends and for some reason Akira really likes Ryo and Ryo really likes Akira.

DocJangarly said:
tingy said:

It seems like the camp is pretty split, regarding whether people liked the manga or this anime better. I'll definitely read the manga to see for myself, especially after reading Nagai's comment. He seems to be a good person and I feel like I'd like what he had to offer thematically in the manga more than Yuasa's retelling of Devilman, which has more focus on love, but fell short imo.

Nagai is an interesting guy with interesting thoughts. I'll post some more from his interviews and stuff.

Looking forward to them :)
Jan 10, 2018 5:50 PM

Apr 2013
I enjoyed this quite a bit. I approve of this anime and give it a solid 6/10. The first decent anime of 2018 I must say.
Jan 10, 2018 6:14 PM

Aug 2009
tingy said:

Looking forward to them :)

Here. It's a short autobiographical manga by Nagai explaining the process a little bit.
Jan 10, 2018 6:37 PM

Sep 2010
tingy said:
@Thess
Your insight on the manga is greatly appreciated :) I kept your first(?) comment in mind when I wrote my closing thought about wanting to read the manga. And in the comment which you mentioned me, you've interested me further regarding the Devilman franchise. I think the biggest failure in Crybaby is Ryo, and hearing that the manga doesn't have this problem is a bit relieving. I definitely didn't see the important of Ryo to Akira in Crybaby, unlike what you said about their relationship in the manga. Here, it just seemed like, cool, they're close childhood friends and for some reason Akira really likes Ryo and Ryo really likes Akira.

Absolutely love Ryo, Miki and Akira of the manga, along with the side characters. I recommend you Shin Devilman too which explores a bit more the Akira/Ryo friendship plus Ryo's romantic feelings for Akira, which is some more "lighthearted" intersequel (note the "...") about time traveling adventures between them.

The reason why I love them is because they are the prototypes of the typical hero, bisohunen best friend who might become antagonist, and "the girl" of works afterward except that they went AGAINST the common stereotype before it was set. These versions instead play up the cliches formed of the types that were formed after them which makes them duller and boring to me.
Jan 10, 2018 8:05 PM
Oct 2009
Thess said:
Manga Miki's relationship with Akira's is meant to be more superficial (beyond what Akira grasps and latches at her in his desperation after he believes Ryo betrayed him, not before), this wasn't accidental, it was purposeful because it was a contrast to Satan's relationship with Akira. Why do you think Akira pretty much makes it all water under the bridge when he sees Satan cry and broods over his/her crying hell for ages in Hell?

At that point you are apparently introducing post-publication additions from the likes of Devilman Lady and beyond, which is: a) absolutely not what Go Nagai was thinking about when he wrote the original story back in the seventies, since the man has been honest about not writing with any grand plans for the future. b) based on your own personal interpretation of the source material taken as a whole, which is fair enough, yet not too relevant to a specific analysis or even a reading of the first manga. c) The manga itself, as classic as it was, doesn't need to be the only valid version of the story and Go Nagai has said that he likes seeing other people play with the elements he came up with in his stories.

Which isn't related to the manga character at all. Might as well make a new character, huh? For once I want to see Miki driving a knife into someone's skull over her preaching about peace and understanding. She tamed Devilman (Amon) in the Tv series with her multiple slaps to his face.

Indeed, it's not the manga character. We can agree about this point. But you see, she didn't need to be.

The most interesting adaptations are not those which mechanically replay the original manga, but those where the director and his staff can provide an alternative view according to their own artistic views yet still maintain a sense of the original in spirit, which does not need to be identical to the letter of said printed work or, even less so, to the more wishes of the most purist side of the fanbase. I'd argue, and so would several fans of the manga with a more liberal conception, that Crybaby was indeed faithful to at least part of the spirit of the manga, despite the creative liberties taken on the surface with Miki and others.

I have nothing against those scenes you've described about manga Miki, they're cool and full of their own meaning, so it would have been great to see that sequence, but it was not an obligation for Yuasa to pick them for this adaptation. I think the replacement we get was still very, very good in its own right. Episode 9 still resonates with me.

Manga Ryo (And Satan for that matter) are consumed by their grand cause (to save humans/to save demons), sacrificing their personal lives and ties as means to and end to their goal.

This is true, but we only learn about this in retrospect during the final chapters of the manga (and in future works not written at the time).

I don't think that the character being changed means it was "butchered" though when there is still a point to why Yuasa wanted him to be different. He's still Ryo in a few ways, just not the same exact person. It wasn't something Yuasa did blindly or without any reason. I'd also argue that while there is more than one message and one interpretation to Devilman, that also applies to Devilman Crybaby as well. It's not just about one meaning universally accepted by all.
jgomezgJan 10, 2018 8:08 PM
Jan 10, 2018 8:16 PM

Sep 2010
jgomezg said:
At that point you are apparently introducing post-publication additions from the likes of Devilman Lady and beyond, which is: a) absolutely not what Go Nagai was thinking about when he wrote the original story back in the seventies, since the man has been honest about not writing with any grand plans for the future. b) based on your own personal interpretation of the source material, which is fair enough, yet not too relevant to a specific analysis or even a reading of the first manga. c) The manga itself, as classic as it was, doesn't need to be the only valid version of the story and Go Nagai has said that he likes seeing other people play with the elements he came up with in his stories.

Let's forget the Hell part.
The Neo Devilman one shot which shows the backstory and the final battle which is included in the last volume in the newest reprints, by the way. That has Akira's fixated and letting go of his grudge immediately after seeing Satan cry and switches back to call "him" Ryo (instead of Satan). Those were his last dying thoughts.

Of course, it's a classic about war and stupidity. Because the two characters could have stopped anytime.

The most interesting adaptations are not those which mechanically replay the original manga, but those where the director and his staff can provide an alternative view according to their own artistic views yet still maintains a sense of the original, which does not need to be identical to the letter of said printed work or, even less so, to the more wishes of the most purist side of the fanbase.

That would be great if only there was one faithful adaptation of the source material available. But there's not. First OVAs come close.

This is true, but we only learn about this in retrospect during the final chapters of the manga (and in future works not written at the time).

Huh? Ryo's been passionate about saving humans/war cause since his introduction, Akira was the one who was wishy washy and dragged into this by Ryo's peer pressure (which Ryo felt guilty of too). Satan only appears in the last volume (and the prologue), so of course is "explored" in the last chapter. But those were traits present in the character.

He also gets emotional and cries a lot even in the first volume which had kind of a messy characterization for everyone overall.

I don't think that the character being changed means it was "butchered" when there is still a point to why Yuasa wanted him to be different. It wasn't something he did blindly or without any reason. I'd also argue that while there is more than one message and one interpretation to Devilman, that also applies to Devilman Crybaby. It's not just about one meaning universally accepted by all.

If you completely change a character's basis to tell a different message, then yes, it's butchered, you might like the change and I understand what Yuasa wanted (and I have said it earlier too), but you can't tell me it's faithful to the original character. He should have done with "Miki", "Ryo" and "Akira," what he did with "Miko" and the delinquents, just make them new characters without trying to pretend they were the characters of Devilman set in Devilman world, there are a lot of anthologies in Devilman about new characters. Amon writer did a series about it, iirc. That would have conveyed the message he wanted better without dragging the whole "But those aren't the characters" complains.

I want to like what he did because I love his sense of aesthetics, but I can't recognize the characters I love.
Jan 10, 2018 9:02 PM
Jan 2018
Episode 9 my heart was shattered, but this episode when Akira caressed Miki’s head and buried it with flowers I lost it... Rest In Peace demons, devilmen, and humanity :(
Jan 11, 2018 7:22 AM
otp haver 🤪

Jul 2017
That ending was hella gay and hella tragic, def gonna comeback to this.

9/10
Jan 11, 2018 11:16 AM
May 2016
Finished now. Netflix need to invest in more adaptations like this. Astunding, no more words. 9/10
Jan 11, 2018 11:44 AM

Sep 2010
NEGRITOTENFOLD said:
ryo is a effeminate transgender baphomet with titty angelic figure with no genitals.

Devilman angels are hermaphrodites and posses both genitals. But some are built more bulky and manly (Michael) and others are clearly just girls with "extra" (Satan, who is voluptuous and slim).

NEGRITOTENFOLD said:
akira and the blonde hair dude had that compared love hate 1997 berserk-esque griffin/guts friendship sacrifice chemistry.

Miura was inspired by Devilman, same as tons many authors in the industry including CLAMP, Kaori Yuuki, Atlus and Hideaki Anno. Go Nagai is the source of inspiration of a lot not just with Devilman, but also with Mazinger (piloted mecha) and Cutie Honey (magical girls).

You need to remember this manga was published in the early 70s.
ThessJan 11, 2018 11:48 AM
Jan 11, 2018 2:11 PM

Sep 2011
Nagai's endings always kind of suck, but they did a commendable job making this work better at least even though it was basically completely taken from the source despite how different everything else was before it.

Great series overall.

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Jan 11, 2018 2:27 PM

Aug 2009
JizzyHitler said:
Nagai's endings always kind of suck, but they did a commendable job making this work better at least even though it was basically completely taken from the source despite how different everything else was before it.

Great series overall.

Which Nagai ending are you thinking about? Just curious.
Jan 11, 2018 2:38 PM

Sep 2011
DocJangarly said:
JizzyHitler said:

Great series overall.

Which Nagai ending are you thinking about? Just curious.
I dont think ive liked any of his endings of the ones ive seen, devilman original, mazinger, violence jack, the worst one was devilman lady but that whole work was a disaster honestly cause it was just rape, from what ive gathered that is not anywhere near an unpopular opinion for that series.

I dont know im not a fan of the guy, I respect what hes done for the medium cause he is what allowed it to expand into more mature themes and stories, but I just find his writing to often times just feel half developed or at worst come off as more shock value, yes i know this was reactionary to the content of the medium at the time but that context only makes me udnerstand why its there, it doesnt make me feel any less taken aback by his use of sexualization and violence that just feels like its trying too hard. I think the reason crybaby worked for me despite being signifigantly more violent and in general fucked up to even the source is cause of yuasa's handle on the surrealistic and handling of tonal shifts.

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Jan 11, 2018 3:16 PM

Oct 2013
Well this was powerful.

I can see why it inspired End of Eva.

9/10
Jan 11, 2018 3:27 PM
Jan 2018
This show was crazy,I've never seen a show were everyone died in it.Watching this show was like a roller coaster.
Jan 11, 2018 3:40 PM

Aug 2009
JizzyHitler said:

I dont think ive liked any of his endings of the ones ive seen, devilman original, mazinger, violence jack, the worst one was devilman lady but that whole work was a disaster honestly cause it was just rape, from what ive gathered that is not anywhere near an unpopular opinion for that series.

You don't like Mazinger Z's ending? That's like one of the most iconic endings ever where the torch is passed to Great. Devilman Lady's ending was heeh, but I generally liked the manga throughout.
DocJangarlyJan 11, 2018 5:18 PM
Jan 11, 2018 3:51 PM
Apr 2012
Not bad. Pacing was honestly just awful and it was really hard to sympathize with any of the characters due to the pacing, but it had it's moments and was enjoyable overall. Solid 6-7/10 for me.
Jan 11, 2018 5:07 PM

Sep 2010
I liked Devilman Lady once you know who show up, was a good mindscrew. Also Violence Jack had a whole deal more of squicker sexual violence, just not as frequent I suppose.
Jan 11, 2018 5:13 PM

Aug 2017
Well, this was ok. Certainly fun. However, I am honestly tired of this kind of ending. It has been done so many times already that now it just comes off as completely lazy and uninspired. I heard this was actually an addition to Crybaby and wasn't featured on the other Devilman versions, so this just make things worse. The ending was good enough already without the eternal return gimmick.

Edit: by ending I mean the post-credits scene, not the original manga ending.
eldritchJan 11, 2018 5:25 PM
Pincushions. I'm a long time threatening to buy one. Sticking them all over the place. Needles in window curtains.
Jan 11, 2018 5:19 PM

Aug 2009
topazio said:
Well, this was ok. Certainly fun. However, I am honestly tired of this kind of ending. It has been done so many times already that now it just comes off as completely lazy and uninspired. I heard this was actually an addition to Crybaby and wasn't featured on the other Devilman versions, so this just make things worse. The ending was good enough already without the eternal return gimmick.

Huh? The ending was in the manga as well.
Jan 11, 2018 5:23 PM

Aug 2017
DocJangarly said:

I mean the very ending, the scene after the credits.
Pincushions. I'm a long time threatening to buy one. Sticking them all over the place. Needles in window curtains.
Jan 11, 2018 6:28 PM

Mar 2016
Little question about the other miki, she kill her grandma and the rapper guy ?
I don't know how to feel about her.
Tachikoma saves the day !!!
Jan 11, 2018 6:46 PM
Jan 2018
topazio said:
DocJangarly said:

I mean the very ending, the scene after the credits.

That scene is actually related to Devillady.
23blood23Jan 11, 2018 6:52 PM
Jan 11, 2018 8:33 PM

Jun 2009
As a big fan of the series for nearly a decade now, I do like the show a lot. It's not perfect, but I do think it was a well done show and the last few episodes still kept a impact on me. I'm very happy that Devilman has become popular with today's anime and manga fandom. I do give the show between a 8.5/10 or 9/10.
Jan 11, 2018 8:42 PM

Dec 2008
Wow! That was epic.
Who are the true demons?!
What is it about mankind that makes us feel the need to kill each other?

Broke my heart that Akira and those who supported him had to die because Ryo was a jackass.

So, with this 3rd "reset" of the Earth, will the same chain of events happen again? Heaven's angels had destroyed the Earth twice already for the same reason.
Jan 11, 2018 9:28 PM
Jan 2015
Good show. Solid 8/10.

Art style was cool, and did some interesting stuff, but what really made this show shine was the sound directing. The soundtrack was absolutely killer and fit the ambiance of the show perfectly. As I understand, Devilman was written a while ago and the soundtrack really brought it into the 21st century. I expected the transition would be fluid though with how modern Ping Pong felt (Manga in the 1980s, Anime in 2014).

I haven't seen Evangelion yet but damn even I could tell this episode was chock full of Eva references. The crosses, etc. The portrayal of Satan was good, and I think the ending was decently satisfying. Ryo talking to dead Akira and then crying about it was a nice way of humanizing him at the end.

I really enjoyed the sexuality on display in this show, not something we see explored in anime a whole lot. The relationship between that and sin, etc is interesting as well.

Thought Akira would win in the end, but it turns out the story was about more than just him. God actually does something lol
Jan 11, 2018 11:38 PM
Sep 2016
Satan stuck in the perfect kind of hell. A infinite loop, where at the end he feels sadness for the first time. Over and over. That's pretty hardcore.

I didn't understand the baton pass-off scene being repeated over and over at first. Then the after-credits scenes tied it all together. Damn god, you cold, you cold as ice.
Jan 12, 2018 1:00 AM
Aug 2014
I don't understand why everyone is using the manga as a basis of everything that makes this show good or bad, an adaptation doesn't have to stick purely to the original material and just because it changed many things from the original, it doesn't mean that it's inherently worse. Not to mention the manga Crybaby originated from is literally 40 years old. Introducing the story to an entirely new audience, changes need to be made. I came into Crybaby completely fresh, I don't care what happened in the original manga, this is its own series and it should be taken as such.

Despite saying that, honestly, I don't understand why everyone is calling this when it's a masterpiece when it's clearly far from it. I had a lot of problems with the first 5 episodes of this anime: no character development whatsoever, the lack of a distinct plot, multiple plot holes, the insane amount of unnecessary nudity... however, all of this seemed to be resolved within the second half, which I actually really enjoyed.

I don't understand why half of the sexual content in this show was even necessary. Miko masturbating to the thought of Akira, along with a scene of her being raped which was never touched upon again..? What?? This was clearly meant to have some significance, since it was brought up again when Mayuta asked if she had a neighbor with some weird loud pet, which was just herself apparently because of the donkey braying. None of this had any point. I can only ask why? Silene's... existence, too. I expected her to play a much greater role than she actually did in the series, and her "arc" (is it considered an arc?) really eventuated to nothing, which makes me question such sexual scenes with her. The first-person motorboating was especially distasteful.

A lot of areas in the series either didn't make any sense or didn't have an impact either. Ryou and Akari very seriously fighting over Miki and whether to kill her or not one moment, and the next we're back to Miki's house enjoying breakfast with her family, because apparently Ryou took back his threat to literally kill Akira and thought "nah it's chill", as if he wasn't dead serious about his plans from the start and willing to do anything to make them succeed. Another point was where Miko suddenly transforms into a half demon, one second she's horrified upon seeing one at the club, the next she's chilling in her transformed body... I feel like they definitely should have shown the struggle between those two points. I especially hated the scene in which Akira sees his demon-possessed father and dead mother, this scene had such little build-up what was clearly meant to be very emotional and turning point for Akira to see this demon business is a lot more personal and serious than what he thinks ends up having zero impact on the audience and apparently Akira himself. How are we meant to feel sad here when these characters were established five minutes ago with not even mention of his parents beforehand?

I absolutely adored the second half of the series in comparison to the first. I feel like it showed that content can be mature without the use of excessive sexual themes, and it ended up the better for it too. The characters suddenly came to life, and I actually felt a connection to them, particularly Miki and Miko, as they started addressing the things happening to them and the relationships between them, something that.. for some reason didn't exist before, strangely enough. Everyone's death actually meant something to me, and I wasn't watching with a dissatisfied grimace as I imagine I would otherwise. I also like how Akira managed to gain his actual personality back and regained his selfless qualities, I was getting sick of his cocky bravado that only stopped in between moments of "hang on Ryou, I don't think straight up murdering people is something we should do". I also did not mind the ending whatsoever, I do feel like Ryou ending up to being an angel was a bit over the top, but I was perfectly satisfied in any case.

Parts I consistently enjoyed throughout the series were the OST and art of course, and I actually really liked the rapping as it brought a form of spirit to this town and its people which we really don't learn about much. I will be playing Devilman no Uta constantly for the next two weeks :P
Jan 12, 2018 5:45 AM
Jan 2015
impression from this series:
1-8 - what theeeee....
9 - heartbroken
10 - devastated

this anime was such a ride
Jan 12, 2018 8:38 AM

Aug 2009
Because the anime should have be
MechaJellyfish said:
I don't understand why everyone is using the manga as a basis of everything that makes this show good or bad, an adaptation doesn't have to stick purely to the original material and just because it changed many things from the original, it doesn't mean that it's inherently worse. Not to mention the manga Crybaby originated from is literally 40 years old. Introducing the story to an entirely new audience, changes need to be made. I came into Crybaby completely fresh, I don't care what happened in the original manga, this is its own series and it should be taken as such.

A lot of changes are inherently worse, and therefore prevented the show from becoming as good as it could have been. I expected Crybaby to fix some of the issues with the original manga, not make them worse.
Jan 12, 2018 11:36 AM

Jul 2015
Hagorama said:
Fuck that was really powerful,
Quite literally everyone dies.
Ep 9 and 10 were really great.

Why Did ryo grew a pair of breasts??

A solid 8/10 for me,
Art and sound were 10/10 though.
If it would have had more sol moments would have given it a 10

Liked it way better than the other stuff made by science saru.

Because he. they. are Satan. They had a penis and breast, meaning they weren't either male nor female.
Jan 12, 2018 11:37 AM

Jul 2015
I did not expect this ending... at all... I should have though.
People were dying left and right... :/
Jan 12, 2018 3:37 PM
Jan 2016
so i was really sad that every one of the people we knew (i mean secondary and supporting characters) all died. like the battle just felt too lonely because of that. but i guess that might have been the whole point. but in the end it wouldnt even matter if anyone lived because the world just got a hard reset and is now a new place. like the thing with the cities of sin(i dont know how to spell their names) the world just got too tainted by demons and humans alike so it all had to start over.
Jan 12, 2018 4:53 PM

Aug 2011
i cant believe i gave in to the hype... it looked quite promising at first but uhhhh im so disappointed. The best thing out of the show were those random rap sequences
Jan 12, 2018 11:10 PM
Jan 2018
i just finished devilman crybaby and i couldnt understand why did miko kill the rapper obviously he had also become an devilman and it seemed counterintuitive from a story telling perspective to let him survive the sabat party only to be killed off screen for no apparent reason. is anyone else having this doubt or maybe has answers????
Jan 13, 2018 2:13 AM
May 2011
hmm..

Jan 13, 2018 4:10 AM

Oct 2012
Still heartbroken even if i expected it... kinda wish theyd include the part where Satan realises he did wrong and just imitated God by destroying humans like in the Manga before Akira is fully finished

I think this anime did put an extra punch on what the manga could not pull off, with a modern twist. At the same time i do think they kinda chucked in some unnecessary nudity but whatever. I also think how Satan got his Ryo identity was better and much more straightfoward in the orig manga. Also he finally has nipples

9/10
Alone on a Friday night? Remember that DIO did nothing wrong!
Jan 13, 2018 7:07 AM

Oct 2007
Nice style, animation and all, but otherwise a huge letdown. Definitely the worst Yuasa work by far.

Is it the source material? Haven't read the manga myself, but I've a feeling that there's just too much silliness thematically and in the story itself.
orpJan 13, 2018 7:16 AM
Jan 13, 2018 3:03 PM

Aug 2014
I love these netflix anime projects. I'm hopeful for more older manga/games adaptation from them.
I really love the 1:1 manga adaptations that most of the japanese studios have been doing, but this kind of adaptation is also great when the studio can pull it off and have a good director working on it.
Jan 13, 2018 6:57 PM

Nov 2012
What a nihilistic, destructive tale this was.

Yeah, this is definitely superior to the original source material, the manga. the plot is more self-realized with much better foreshadowing. the characterization for the cast of characters, especially for Akira, was handled much better and was much more well-written. the relationships were established and explored better. i actually felt something for Miki's death, other than pure shock. god, i wanted her to live so bad.

Only downside is, the art was far superior in the manga. i'm okay with Akira's character design, i think i even like it more his original one, but Ryou's design was such a huge downgrade compared to his original, iconic design in the manga and OVA. same thing goes for Demons, too. also, the horror elements were presented better in the manga.

Yuasa did the best job he could probably do. i love it when directors take control of the original source, improve it, and turn it into a better piece of work with their own vision.

10/10
Jan 14, 2018 12:35 AM

May 2014
Yeah, i guess. It's pretty gritty and dark. Every Episode force me ask basic question about god, human, and my boner for miko.

Good job Netflix.
God is silent. Now if only man would shut up
Jan 14, 2018 1:13 AM

Apr 2009
So, that after credits scene... It would appear that Satan and his demons lost to God an his Angels. Am I to assume that the charred planet is what remains of the 'old' Earth that was the battlefield, and there is a brand new Earth? It's probably not even a significant point, but I am a bit curious as to others thoughts.

Having not read or previously had any exposure to the source material, the constant build of despair hit me hard. Just when I thought it would culminate with Miki's death, time goes on as humans are eradicated while Akira and Satan fight their war. I'm not really sure how I feel about the depiction of Akira's death. The way it was presented to the audience was powerful, but his death made me feel like everything was meaningless - which may have been the intent given the recurring theme of despair.

What I did not like about this show is that often the plot seemed disjointed in that i may have missed key points, but that was just the way the information was presented.

Overall, this was a great anime. A solid 8/10.
Jan 14, 2018 7:50 AM
Apr 2012
ReaperEXE said:
So, that after credits scene... It would appear that Satan and his demons lost to God an his Angels. Am I to assume that the charred planet is what remains of the 'old' Earth that was the battlefield, and there is a brand new Earth? It's probably not even a significant point, but I am a bit curious as to others thoughts.

That after credit scene is possibly the most important scene in the entire show. I've noticed it has flown over a lot people's heads. Basically the entire anime is Ryo's punishment for betraying God, an eternal cycle of suffering and mourning over the loss of Akira. The moral of the story is God is a fucking savage so go to church kids.
Jan 14, 2018 9:25 AM

Oct 2012
I don't see the appealing in this anime at all. I decided to watch it after all the hype people were showing in social media, but I didn't see it. It may be because I didn't read the original source, but the story in general was really meaningless, not profound at all. It's watchable at most. The animation and OSTs were really good, but the story was really cheap. I barely felt any connection with the characters presented... Wamu and Miko at most. And yet, not really.
Anyway, I just felt like I had to say something after seeing so many reviews calling it a masterpiece and so on. For me, it was a 5/10.
Jan 14, 2018 9:30 AM
Nov 2017
rvbrick said:
No, this wasn't an adaptation of the manga. Nor did they remain entirely faithful to the themes of the manga. They did adapt a few moments but changed them around, most of this was anime original.

Anywho, solid 7/10 anime. I really wish they would've left out some of the more juvenile stuff (i.e. the rappers, Akira's demon sex drive) but as a whole it was pretty good. I would honestly say the manga and its two OVA adaptations are far, far superior though. A lot of the nuances were lost. The only character that really got any meaningful development in this was Ryou. Ryou's relationship with Akira might be the only thing this anime does better than any other Devilman anime, since for once it does actually feel like they're friends.

I think the ending was kind of fumbled, although at the same time I did really enjoy the last two episodes. It didn't quite capture the apocalyptic feel and oppressive horror of the manga's final act.

I feel as though the juvenile stuff made the juxtaposition between the first half and the last half of the show much better. It went from being a fun and goofy, but still brutal, monster of the week show to a depressing apocalypse story. In my opinion I would keep the juvenile stuff.
Jan 14, 2018 10:27 AM
Dec 2016
Man i loved the ending it was rushed sure but im in love with the final scene you know when Ryo finally understood that he loves Akari and is now sad and cried and I CANT WITH THE FEELINGS ;_; i give this anime 10/10 bcuz i havent seen the original manga and havent seen the ovas and well this anime was able to make me relate to the characters and feel sad and i havent seen such a sad ending in a while and it really got to me. I love anime with scenes and endings that really break my heart therefore 10/10 from me ^^
Jan 14, 2018 12:05 PM

Mar 2017
Wow. This show was the quite the emotional ride! Had just enough gore and action to satisfy my gruesome desires. Also, the music was awesome! I really did enjoy it a lot more than I thought I would, especially the last two episodes. I also like wonky running.
TykoiaSep 23, 2019 11:12 PM
Pages (11) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Have a small doubt!

Jai_akash - Yesterday

5 by catfelix »»
Yesterday, 6:01 PM

Poll: » Devilman: Crybaby Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

lordzeru - Jan 5, 2018

92 by Fortress_Maximus »»
Mar 6, 2:54 PM

Poll: » Devilman: Crybaby Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

lordzeru - Jan 5, 2018

159 by Isca_Riot »»
Mar 5, 8:20 AM

» Why do people love it so much ( 1 2 )

Bardocen - Sep 18, 2021

53 by xONLYINHUMANx »»
Feb 18, 6:31 AM

Poll: » Devilman: Crybaby Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

lordzeru - Jan 5, 2018

97 by Floral_soap »»
Feb 8, 3:08 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.