Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Jan 12, 2018 5:50 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I think this episode has a thrilling feeling to it with the mystery and detective themes. However, I'm kinda curious to see what the will do with the main plot especially with these killers running around. Death is a reality to deal with.

That Ling (crossdresser) caught most of my attention so far with the intimidating look.

Curious to see how the direction of the story will go.
Stark700Jan 12, 2018 8:36 AM
Jan 12, 2018 8:35 AM
Dec 2013
I really enjoyed the first episode. Early Durarara comparisons were pretty accurate, even though this is a more "realistic" and darker DRRR due to people actually dying and the whole series revolving around hitmen (but hey in a series about hitmen people have to actually die right?).

Love the jazzy OST as well. Can't wait to see where the series goes.
Jan 12, 2018 8:44 AM

Aug 2008
i must say i enjoyed this first episode
actually when saw the trailer thought ling is a female
oh boy i was wrong xD
The spider is watching
Jan 12, 2018 8:51 AM

Dec 2014
Interesting first episode.

The cross dressing hitman dude caught me totally off guard in the first scene. xD

Even though there was mostly just talk this episode, I do like the kind of thrilling atmosphere the show set up with the different hitmen and their different target. There's some big spider web to all this.

I kinda felt bad for the new guy who was caught instead of the actual person. Though that was definitely a stupid move on his part.
The ending with the cross-dresser offering to protect Banba was also pretty intriguing, why the change of heart?

Looking forward to more.
Jan 12, 2018 8:56 AM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
Very rapid, don't know if i got everything that happened here but it was not bad.

Whole bunch of factions and hitmen.
Jan 12, 2018 9:09 AM
The Komori

Mar 2013
Went into this thinking that the long haired brunette was a girl, so when I saw that it was a trap I was very upset lol

Other than that, I had no idea what this show was going to be like apart from the detective stuff, so I was pleasantly surprised to see all the hitman stuff going on and I like it

As of right now, I'm having trouble keeping track of all of the different parties at play here and whose working with who but this all depends on where the series goes imo....Looks like we have more than one MC too so I'm curious to see what happens both with Banba and Trap-kun and also with the noob hitman guy lol
Jan 12, 2018 9:25 AM

May 2010
Pretty meh episode..soo many things are unclear and confusing right now. Not sure this one will be worth it.

lowkey this show already puts me to sleep.
Jan 12, 2018 9:27 AM

Apr 2016
Nobody's talked about the fact that almost every character in this episode was voiced by a very big, successful seiyuu. It's one of the best casts for an anime I've seen in a while and I just wanted to point that out.

Also, it's kind of a durarara rip-off in many ways and it's pretty silly, but I got a little intrigued so I guess I'll continue watching it.

Jan 12, 2018 9:37 AM

Jul 2015
I was worried when I saw the PV, because the art style looked dreadful there. But when watching the episode it sort of works, and looks more like a stylistic choice rather than just bad budget. The episode also did a decent job of introducing the main cast and setting up a story. The shemale is pretty badass, and far cooler than your run-of-the-mill girly trap.
Jan 12, 2018 9:42 AM
Dec 2007
By far the best first episode of the new season for now.

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
Jan 12, 2018 9:45 AM

Sep 2016
wow this is actually not shit and pretty entertaining
yuki kaji too lol
CrossAnge

Hey guys check my profile for current airing season anime recommendation (guaranteed best taste)
Jan 12, 2018 10:07 AM

Jun 2013
Very confusing and fast. It seems like episode 6 or 7 and not 1. They don't presented the cast and story very well.
Jan 12, 2018 10:22 AM

Jun 2015
Lots of characters in this first episode. A cross-dresser that's a hitman is quite interesting. There's a lot of hitmen in that city. The mayor's son is a douchebag. Looking forward to see more.
Jan 12, 2018 10:28 AM

Aug 2012
I like it, having a big cast and it definitely have durarara vibes on it.

Jan 12, 2018 10:28 AM

Apr 2016
A hitman for hitmen... Interesting. The story was pretty confusing, but I think I get the gist of it.

"Le vent se lève!... Il faut tenter de vivre!"
- Paul Valéry, Le Cimetière Marin -

Jan 12, 2018 10:32 AM

Jun 2013
This episode has good elements, including the jazzy background music and the stylish visuals, and the hitman who goes after hitmen sounds interesting (too bad they were just name dropped, and the episode wasn't actually about them). But the characters just kind of blend together. Everyone, except for the P.I. is a killer acting all apathetic, edgy and nihilistic, and the villains only stand out because they kill civilians for fun or convenience, but there's nothing interesting about them otherwise. It's really hard to care about what happens next.

LeeTailorJan 12, 2018 10:51 AM
Jan 12, 2018 10:33 AM

Dec 2015
Generic, dull and...another word for dull.
I had hoped this might be interesting but sadly it's just pedestrian.
I'm not even gonna waste my time on a second episode.
Jan 12, 2018 10:38 AM
Feb 2012
Ununpentium said:
Nobody's talked about the fact that almost every character in this episode was voiced by a very big, successful seiyuu. It's one of the best casts for an anime I've seen in a while and I just wanted to point that out.

It reminds me of Konbini Kareshi where the show was and looked like garbage but the casting was big.
Suzumura Kenichi, Kugimiya Rie, Horie Yui, Kamiya Hiroshi, Sawashiro Miyuki, Sakurai Takahiro and so many more.
Jan 12, 2018 10:54 AM

Feb 2015
The trap character isntantly put me off this. Easy drop
Jan 12, 2018 11:04 AM

Aug 2012
Darkhorse of the season here, as long as it doesn't get too convoluted. Lots of likable characters with A grade casting. Excited to see where it goes
Jan 12, 2018 11:15 AM
Trickster

Jun 2011
Fairly uninteresting first episode. I really enjoy series based in huge cities with multiple things going on at once, e.g. Durarara. But I don't get any Durarara vibes from this at all, save for its city setting. That's originally why I decided to check out this to being with.

Didn't find it interesting, and the cross dresser is a major turn off. Will probably drop this one.
Jan 12, 2018 11:32 AM

Jun 2011
Why a trap lol ?? Half of the animes this season is an all cast female or male anime. I thought this anime would be safe but its actually worse...
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 12, 2018 11:40 AM

Sep 2012
gotta watch it twice to understand who is who, furthermore this got my attention and made me look forward into the next episode since there are still so many unexplained situations like how the crossdresser owe someone a money and each character details. Overall, I enjoyed watching it and hoping for more detective and mystery crime solving.
Jan 12, 2018 12:19 PM
Jul 2014
Kerozinn said:
Pretty meh episode..soo many things are unclear and confusing right now. Not sure this one will be worth it.

lowkey this show already puts me to sleep.
huh? unclear? It's just the first episode. Don't expect everything to fall into place in the first episode.
Jan 12, 2018 12:23 PM

Jan 2017
I enjoyed the first episode, a lot of time was spent on setting up the story, characters etc. Is this show tagged correctly? It doesn't exactly give off an action type of vibe. Then again, it's only the first episode, it may change in future episodes.
Jan 12, 2018 12:24 PM

Oct 2012
I like the hitman premise even though it's a bit ridiculous (the city is teeming with them). I have faith that I'll get to know the characters over time but must say the first episode was pretty confusing.
Jan 12, 2018 1:18 PM
Jul 2018
It took me quite time to reach my expectation on this show and glad it did at the end. The OP definitely gave me some good feeling about this show's direction. There are some interesting stuff about this show that also quite ressembles the drrr!!'s setting but one negative I can say about this show is art.
The setting is also quite of seinen too, so it won't able to reach that many recognition/fans as drrr!! achieved (at least in MAl)

In any case, I am really hyped for next episode how this goes! Definitely best trap character I have seen (that I can take serious at least ) and also felt bad for the new guy's bad luck :o

removed-userJan 12, 2018 1:22 PM
Jan 12, 2018 1:50 PM

Aug 2013
Yeah...not really worth it. The premise had me interested but what I bore witness to was a complete disappointment.
Don't believe the hype.
Jan 12, 2018 1:55 PM

Jul 2010
I was expecting more. This was a little disappointing.
Jan 12, 2018 3:12 PM

May 2015
The crossdresser caught me completely off guard, lmao.

In any case, I had no expectations whatsoever, but this was pretty interesting. Let's see where this goes.

Jan 12, 2018 3:27 PM

Apr 2009
Huh, I actually got some Baccano vibes from this. Could be interesting, so I'll give it a few more eps to wow me.
Jan 12, 2018 3:50 PM

Sep 2017
Pretty interesting first episode. There were a lot of characters and 'factions' introduced so it was a little confusing keeping track of everything. Might rewatch a few parts, but it should fall into place as the show goes on anyway.

Having an mc be a cross dresser was an interesting choice; I don't mind though. Also blonde hitman kid was prick. I hope he gets offed soon.
Jan 12, 2018 4:37 PM

Feb 2013
Hitman in a skirt... um... ok...

It was alright I guess. Everybody is a hitman.
Jan 12, 2018 4:48 PM

Jan 2014
Well that was unexpected. 3% of the population, though? Wtf.

Three things cannot be long hidden..
...the s u n, the m oo n, and the tr u th.

Jan 12, 2018 6:16 PM

Apr 2017
Game : Play the VICTIM
-HippySnob-Jan 13, 2018 12:26 AM

"Think about that glowing dust
That destroys the night sky's dream of
Just being nothing"
----
Jan 12, 2018 6:44 PM

Jun 2017
This one of those series with mixed up story which I love (like Baccano! and Durarara!) so I will definitely be watching it.
Jan 12, 2018 6:48 PM

Mar 2013
uuah that scene with the naked and bruised body. I'm way too sensitive for this kinda shit(though honestly what did I expect) uuh - I hope our killer trap will kill the sunuvabitch who did this.
Apart from that it has me definitely interested.

Also too many people seem to expect everything to be clear already in episode 1. I think it'll be quite understandable after some episodes. Has definitively potential I think.

Aaand... murder Inc. - best company name ever lol
Definitely not suspicious at all.
Something something something
Jan 12, 2018 7:11 PM

Feb 2014
The concept and premise really turns me off: a city with a thriving hitman business that’s seen as normal? I don’t know, I feel like that kind of takes away the fun of hitmen!

Anyways the characters just weren’t doing it for me and I found the whole episode kind of silly and confusing. I’m probably just going to drop it, not worth it for me.
Jan 12, 2018 8:20 PM

Jul 2017
I didn't mind that a large cast of characters was introduced so quickly.
We are given a main cast we are supposed to want to succeed: Ling, Baba, and Saitou.
We are given characters we are supposed to hate: a hitman's son who kills civilians with no remorse and uses his father to cover up his crimes, and a mayor who promises to protect his people all the while gaining from their suffering.

The supporting characters serve as links between the main characters without much extra explanation being needed. Ling and Saitou are seemingly foils of each other as well, which I personally appreciate in these types of character driven multi-story arcs.

The story thus far leaves me wanting revenge for those we saw wronged. Hopefully the pacing is a bit more drawn out over the next few episodes. I can understand needing to introduce a lot of characters quickly, but the plot always suffers in one way or another.
Jan 12, 2018 9:04 PM
Apr 2009
MultiJhonny said:
I really enjoyed the first episode. Early Durarara comparisons were pretty accurate, even though this is a more "realistic" and darker DRRR due to people actually dying and the whole series revolving around hitmen (but hey in a series about hitmen people have to actually die right?).

Love the jazzy OST as well. Can't wait to see where the series goes.
Had the same feeling for DRRR too, lots of “unique” characters, multiple events that should eventually connect, underground shady activities, happening in one specific city.
Jan 12, 2018 9:06 PM
Apr 2009
rodolfoemiliano said:
Very confusing and fast. It seems like episode 6 or 7 and not 1. They don't presented the cast and story very well.
It’s a lot like Baccano and Durarara, its a style not many shows adopt.

Edit: I looked at your list and yeah you haven’t experienced these type, I do recommend sticking through it. Its fast but eventually everything aspects collide together and turns out marvellously.
type_XEJan 12, 2018 9:24 PM
Jan 12, 2018 9:08 PM

Aug 2013
got Durarara vibe from this, with a mix of Detective mystery. Yep, probably my fav show this season. been craving these kind of Detective mysteries anime since the last time I got it. Just hope they didn't throw the detective part away and just go full hitman vs hitman action battle royale...

+ Kishida Kyoudan and the akeboshi rockets... yasss, liking this season OST line up so far...
Jan 12, 2018 9:15 PM
Apr 2009
RemnantMemory said:
got Durarara vibe from this, with a mix of Detective mystery. Yep, probably my fav show this season. been craving these kind of Detective mysteries anime since the last time I got it. Just hope they didn't throw the detective part away and just go full hitman vs hitman action battle royale...

+ Kishida Kyoudan and the akeboshi rockets... yasss, liking this season OST line up so far...
fount this : http://hakata-tonkotsu-ramens.wikia.com/wiki/Durarara_x_Hakata_Tonkotsu_Ramens_Light_Novel on r/anime seems like another crossover on its way too.
Jan 12, 2018 9:20 PM

Aug 2014
Could be decent. A lot of characters though, probably shouldn't have paid only half attention to this.
Sieg Zeon!
Jan 12, 2018 9:44 PM

Jan 2011
at first was thinking this was one dem chinese cartoons but was confused by the large cast of big names

show is riding on the fine line of edge but i was somewhat entertained by thought of Hitmen hitmans lol
Jan 12, 2018 10:20 PM
Dec 2017
It was a good first episode. The cross dresser character is pretty interesting...but I'm really interested in seeing how the story plays out.
Jan 12, 2018 11:02 PM

May 2015
"Yes?"
(In a Man's voice while crossdressed) "Takashi's here right? Let me see him. He's been cheating on me."

LOOOOOOOL! I just lost it here.

So Hitman battles the anime. Lots of characters and a lot of things going on, but it's really interesting. So we got bodyguard hitmen for a corrupt mayor along with his son who kills girls that refuse to be raped, a father-daughter team who are disguised as hitmen, a "professional" hitman who crossdresses as a hobby, Murder Inc, a pickpocket, a ramen cooker, a so called "Opportunistic Samurai", and Banba. And despite the number of characters, I caught on to each of them pretty quickly. What surprises me is that even though we got blood and killing, it's rather humorous. So now it's going to come down to who can outsmart who. An uncommon combination of edge and comedy in a hitman vs. hitman mystery anime. I like it. And that ending just made it even more interesting.

Edit: That's the word I was looking for! BLACK COMEDY! So yeah, it does share a similarity with Baccano in that Ramens is also a Black Comedy! This is gonna be fun...
TarotistJan 13, 2018 1:45 PM
Jan 12, 2018 11:35 PM

Aug 2014
damn it´s a trap.....Would be more fun as a badass girl.
Jan 12, 2018 11:59 PM

Jan 2018
I seriously thought it might have been about food and ramen. Thank goodness it wasn't.

I actually liked it. People say it was fast but it really wasn't, I think it was well paced even with all the characters popping up.

hell is other people
Jan 13, 2018 12:53 AM

Nov 2016
iAmAileenCom said:
I seriously thought it might have been about food and ramen. Thank goodness it wasn't.

No kidding, one anime about ramen a season is too many.

iAmAileenCom said:
I actually liked it. People say it was fast but it really wasn't, I think it was well paced even with all the characters popping up.

I'd say that it is a faster paced show, but that fits the style of the story really well. I like the multiple perspectives. Various hit men, corrupt politicians, private investigators, and serial killers you say? Sign me up! I'm excited to see how it all comes together.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hakata Tonkotsu Ramens Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 30, 2018

76 by Akiyafuru »»
Feb 12, 6:37 AM

Poll: » Hakata Tonkotsu Ramens Episode 6 Discussion

Stark700 - Feb 16, 2018

37 by hj »»
Feb 6, 2023 2:47 AM

Poll: » Hakata Tonkotsu Ramens Episode 10 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 16, 2018

31 by BreakApart »»
Nov 25, 2022 9:55 AM

Poll: » Hakata Tonkotsu Ramens Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 2, 2018

75 by BreakApart »»
Nov 20, 2022 12:34 PM

Poll: » Hakata Tonkotsu Ramens Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jan 19, 2018

82 by vibininthefields »»
Jul 2, 2022 12:02 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.