Forum Settings
Forums

How do you keep up with seasonal and already completed anime?

New
Jan 12, 2018 12:57 PM
Jul 2018
I have a shit-ton of anime on my plan to watch list. I don't want to it grow further. But at the same time, I want to watch new anime.
So what I do is I keep up with seasonal anime AND watch already completed anime at the same time.
But it's proving to be exhausting for me: even watching the first episode of a new seasonal anime is tiring me.

What do you guys do?
Jan 12, 2018 1:06 PM

May 2015
Choose the anime that seem interesting in the new season, keep up with them, drop the disappointing ones and watch from the PTW when there's time. If you dropped a few shows you should have more time later on this season.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 12, 2018 1:12 PM

Jan 2017
When it comes to this, I usually select some anime, watch their first episode or the first three episode, and after that I decide which ones I'm gonna drop. I usually watch a short anime and a longer one in parallel, just in case I get bored by any of them. If you don't like a seasonal anime or just don't feel like it, just drop it or put it on hold, and watch it after it finishes airing, to see if it's actually worth while or not.
Jan 12, 2018 1:26 PM

Feb 2015
Oh that's an easy one.
I don't watch seasonals, so all I watch is completed. Quickly check which seasonals I may like and add them to my ptw.
Jan 12, 2018 1:28 PM
Jul 2018
Aemnesias said:
Oh that's an easy one.
I don't watch seasonals, so all I get to watch is already completed. Quickly check which seasonals I may like and add them to my ptw.

But doesn't that ensure that you'll never finish your plan to watch list?
I mean Jesus, 820...
Jan 12, 2018 1:29 PM

Feb 2016
Drop everything so you don't need to bother with them.

May 2015
NihilisticLoner said:
Aemnesias said:
Oh that's an easy one.
I don't watch seasonals, so all I get to watch is already completed. Quickly check which seasonals I may like and add them to my ptw.

I mean Jesus, 820...
The PTW is not meant to be finished, it mysteriously just keeps growing.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

Feb 2015
NihilisticLoner said:
Aemnesias said:
Oh that's an easy one.

I mean Jesus, 820...

Well never running out is the point. And there're stuff on there I know I won't like, but removing them is a bore.
I mostly go by feeling(and recs from trusted people) when deciding what to watch next, so having a big list helps not spending hours searching the database.
rahillimitciJan 12, 2018 1:33 PM
Jan 12, 2018 1:40 PM

Feb 2010
Well, during the time I felt most exhausted by seasonals I just mostly stopped watching them weekly and just watch completed shows for 3 months and then when the season ends you can watch the 'fresh' seasonals as completed shows too, at least the ones you're really interested in it. That way you don't have that weekly strain and can just focus on one anime at a time. Of course you won#t be able to be super up to date with current seasonal gossip if that's what you care about. I didn't really care about that tho so it was perfect for me to just watch the 'seasonals' once they're completed as well so you don't have to deal with them for 3 whole months and can focus on other stuff in the meantime.

I still do that with a lot of seasonals, but I've started to pick more on a weekly basis again too.

If you really want to keep up with the weekly gossip then I guess your only option is to just become more strict and drop more shows so having to keep up with them doesn't start feeling like a chore.
I probably regret this post by now.
Jan 12, 2018 1:42 PM

Aug 2015
Never had this problem. I don't think of my plan to watch/read list as a list of series that I have to watch, just stuff that I've taken an interest in, and I don't worry about keeping up with discussions or how much the list grows. Some shows like Gurren Lagann and Kanon have been sitting on my ptw list for years.
Jan 12, 2018 1:44 PM
Jul 2018
I decided to stop watching non airing anime, as watching shows that were already completed led me to binge watch and lose too much time. So, now I waste time on forums.
Jan 12, 2018 1:44 PM
Jul 2018
zal said:
NihilisticLoner said:

I mean Jesus, 820...
The PTW is not meant to be finished, it mysteriously just keeps growing.

But...that means that by the time you die, that means you'll never finish your plan to watch list.
Jan 12, 2018 1:51 PM
Jul 2018
Do you think you have a lot on your "Plan-to-Watch" list? look at mine. If you want

And I put airing anime on priority
removed-userJan 12, 2018 1:56 PM
Jan 12, 2018 1:51 PM

Oct 2015
Called literally doing nothing else but anime.

๐”š๐”ž๐”ซ๐”ซ๐”ž ๐”ฑ๐”ฌ๐”ฒ๐” ๐”ฅ ๐”ถ๐”ฌ๐”ฒ,
๐”š๐”ž๐”ซ๐”ฑ๐”ฆ๐”ซ' ๐”ถ๐”ฌ๐”ฒ ๐”ด๐”ฆ๐”ฑ๐”ฅ ๐”ž๐”ฉ๐”ฉ ๐”ช๐”ถ ๐”ช๐”ฆ๐”ค๐”ฅ๐”ฑ

Jan 12, 2018 1:53 PM

Jun 2017
I just pick about 10 animes to watch each season so I have enough time to watch one series of already completed show per week. In the end that leaves me with average of about 25-35 (consideting lenght) episodes per week which is pretty manageable considering my ammount of free time.

Higurashi Gou is the worst anime in existence.
Jan 12, 2018 1:59 PM

Dec 2016
I don't like having to wait a full week for a new episode, unless the title is for personal reasons something important to me (in other words, something I've already become a fan of, so if there's a continuation or sequel, I will watch every new available episode asap, like it was the case with DBS), so "keeping up with seasonals and completed" rarely is an issue to me.
Jan 12, 2018 2:00 PM

Jul 2015
I never watch seasonal anime, I only watch completed series. The seasonal series can wait, that's how I handle it.
Jan 12, 2018 2:10 PM

May 2009
I watch some seasonal anime while also watching some completed anime......? I've been doing this for years and hasn't been a problem for me.

I don't watch more than 4-5 completed series at once
deimoscodeJan 12, 2018 2:24 PM
Jan 12, 2018 2:56 PM

Feb 2013
the answer starts with 3.5 and ends with x i.e. speed dat shit up
Jan 12, 2018 4:25 PM
Jul 2018
For some reason, the seasonals I pick up always fit into a sort of schedule. I remember in Winter 2017 all of my shows were on weekdays, so I'd watch completed anime on the weekends. This season, they all fall on Sunday-Wednesday.. So I watch completed anime on Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays. If I have extra time, I'll watch completed anime whenever but with work and studying it's hard.
Jan 12, 2018 4:34 PM
โ™ก( โ€ขเฅขโ—ก-เฅข)โœงห–ยฐ โ™ก

Dec 2014
Well it's better to binge anime from your PTW list while waiting for the next seasonal anime episode next week.

Surely a week is more than enough to finish 12-24 episode anime.

(ใฃโ—”โ—กโ—”)ใฃ ๐“˜ ๐”€๐“ฒ๐“ผ๐“ฑ ๐”‚๐“ธ๐“พ ๐“ช๐“ต๐“ต ๐“ฑ๐“ช๐“ฟ๐“ฎ ๐“ช ๐”€๐“ธ๐“ท๐“ญ๐“ฎ๐“ป๐“ฏ๐“พ๐“ต ๐“ญ๐“ช๐”‚ ♥
Jan 12, 2018 4:43 PM

Aug 2016
Don't watch every single thing that comes out in a season, don't add more to your list than your rate of finishing, don't look for recommendations, and learn to sacrifice.

Jan 12, 2018 4:46 PM
Oct 2017
I tend to try and only watch one already aired anime at a time, and watch seasonal anime as and when they release.
Jan 12, 2018 5:18 PM

Jul 2017
Very simple because I stay in my room all day I have time to watch the airing shows as well as finished airing shows.
Jan 12, 2018 5:26 PM

Dec 2009
How I do it is that I pick one or 2 shows to watch that are completed from either my PTW or OH lists and watch them while going through a season.

Usually what also happens is that about 6 weeks into the season I get bored of watching week by week. Thus I end up watching more shows on my PTW list, and at the end of the season I watch the last 6 episodes of the seasonal stuff. I usually give myself a weekend to go through them. A treat for all the adulting I did during that season.

Honestly you have to want to work on doing both, but don't go over board. I don't let myself be concerned with my PTW list unless it has as much or more than my Completed list.

Jan 12, 2018 5:28 PM

Apr 2012
Short answer: I don't.

Better answer: I only ever watch currently airing shows if they're something I'm really excited for. And even then, it still might take me a few months to get to actually get to it. I'm trying to watch more anime than I used to (a bad idea honestly), but there's still no way I could watch all airing shows while trying to finish things on my PTW list. I'd get way too overwhelmed or, honestly, bored.

So the best suggestion I can give is that it's ok to take your time. There's no type of rush to finish anime unless you're doing challenges. Pick up shows that interest you when you have the time and don't be afraid to just add things to your PTW list for later.

let's live heroically, let's live with style
Jan 12, 2018 5:31 PM

Aug 2017
I don't.

I'd say "ain't nobody got time for that" but MAL's taught me that indeed, some people *have* enough time for that somehow.
Jan 12, 2018 5:34 PM
Jul 2018
For me if I watch seasonals and completed shows, sometimes I tend to prioritize an completed series rather than a seasonal if I feel intrigued. If not, then I watch it when I'm out of the seasonals for the day. :S

Sometimes it happens differently but that's how I do it so.
Jan 13, 2018 12:15 AM
Jul 2018
I usually wait for the season to end and check the MAL scores if the show has a low or high score. Obviously, I'll choose the ones with a high rating.
Jan 13, 2018 12:25 AM

May 2010
I don't really watch many seasonal anime, unless they are sequels to something I've already seen or something, so I don't have that kind of problem, simple as that. I find focusing on a few entirely new series, remembering new plots and characters at the same time too hard :v
Jan 13, 2018 12:26 AM
May 2016
It helps that I don't watch everything in a new season, only shows that genuinely catch my eye and where I see myself actually completing it are the only ones I watch, and by extension any extra seasons or OVAs attached to that.

For other shows, I just binge. I'm on break right now so I spend my whole day watching anime. Crunchyroll and Funimation Now are also big helps with their queue features and such.
Jan 13, 2018 12:40 AM

Sep 2016
NihilisticLoner said:
I have a shit-ton of anime on my plan to watch list. I don't want to it grow further. But at the same time, I want to watch new anime.
So what I do is I keep up with seasonal anime AND watch already completed anime at the same time.
But it's proving to be exhausting for me: even watching the first episode of a new seasonal anime is tiring me.

What do you guys do?

Since not all seasonal shows air/get released on the same day, spread out over the whole week I'm only watching 1-3 current episodes daily.
The rest of my watching time each day can then applied to completed shows.
You're never too old to watch anime.
If I ever stop watching anime, check my pulse I'm likely dead.

I wake up with coffee & anime, I go to sleep with coffee & anime.

Sorry if my sarcasm is bad, it's not my first language.

Jan 13, 2018 12:43 AM

Feb 2016
i dont, i just watch one episode and continue it years after

More topics from this board

» Anime you only knowledges about is from the memes

Spunkert - 31 minutes ago

7 by Ratris_Decision »»
14 seconds ago

» Describe your anime watching as one sentence.

LenRea - Apr 11

35 by SignsOfSuicide »»
2 minutes ago

» What are your thoughts on harem anime?

BuddhaIsBetter - 7 minutes ago

2 by Zimmu »»
2 minutes ago

» How you feel about non-Japanese entertainment/media using Anime art style?

Dragevard - 11 hours ago

27 by Mishiia »»
8 minutes ago

Poll: » Spring 2024 my fav anime lineup yet! What is your fav series that is going under the radar?

rohan121 - 8 hours ago

12 by Thanatos1 »»
13 minutes ago
Itโ€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.