Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Land of the Lustrous
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
Jan 1, 2018 7:00 PM

Jan 2013
So much left to know. I just realized how small the island they life on is and the rest of the Earth is water. I really wanted to see more of the third species.
Jan 1, 2018 7:03 PM

Jun 2017
RediceRyan said:
So much left to know. I just realized how small the island they life on is and the rest of the Earth is water. I really wanted to see more of the third species.

Yeah, it's easy to forget but that's all that's left of the world. Although now apparently there's SIX moons.

And the only two slug people are off making babies and repopulating the ocean. :p
Jan 1, 2018 10:06 PM

Apr 2016
Absolutely loved it! Gonna wait for a season 2, but I'm thinking about reading the manga if nothing is announced soon... If it is, I'll hold on until then!

Really glad there is a great CG anime out! Stunningly animated, loved every second! And the gem sound effects were very good!
Jan 2, 2018 4:28 AM

Nov 2013
MAN, what was Sensei about to tell her at the end?!! I need more :(

All in all, I thought the Anime was a breath of fresh air, very unique artstyle and plot, that was mostly character driven. Loved the VA for Phos, thought she was brilliant, and breathed life into the character.

Hoping for another season !
Jan 2, 2018 6:54 AM

Mar 2009
Cinnabar was so cute in this episode.
And the contrast with the old Phos at the end kind of made me sad. :(

Really, exceptional anime. Best of the season. Top 5 of the entire year?

The 3D CGI had to be some of the best I've ever seen. When people say 3D CGI in anime is pure laziness, please show them this gem.

You know, it's absolutely mind-boggling to me when comparing this to Berserk. What caused Berserk to fail? Lack of budget, or skill? You have a legendary manga that's been running for almost 30 years now, and yet it's treated with such sub-par work. Did Houseki no Kuni have a huge budget behind it? I'm really curious about this. I've never even heard of this series before the anime started airing.
Jan 3, 2018 6:37 AM

Aug 2014
Mormegil said:
Cinnabar was so cute in this episode.
And the contrast with the old Phos at the end kind of made me sad. :(

Really, exceptional anime. Best of the season. Top 5 of the entire year?

The 3D CGI had to be some of the best I've ever seen. When people say 3D CGI in anime is pure laziness, please show them this gem.

You know, it's absolutely mind-boggling to me when comparing this to Berserk. What caused Berserk to fail? Lack of budget, or skill? You have a legendary manga that's been running for almost 30 years now, and yet it's treated with such sub-par work. Did Houseki no Kuni have a huge budget behind it? I'm really curious about this. I've never even heard of this series before the anime started airing.

Have you seen Black rock shooter CGI? That one have smoother CGI, well except it's not that flashy and the anime itself are still decent at finest.
My eyes kinda hurt for some reason i guess its motion effect due CGI.

Overall damn i got hooked, finished it on 1 days and Holy shit Phos "was" very cute..
Then it turned like that, i miss old Phos.
I think i am getting mindfucked least it wasn't dark as Made in Abyss.

Man it's kinda underrated and no one notice this anime after thinking Fall is pretty much meh.

I need more of this, definitely one of the best in Fall topped Shuumatsy Ryokou uniqueness.
Mystery, Memorable Characters, Good animation, abit of Philosophy i guess?, 10/10.
Jan 3, 2018 4:38 PM

Jan 2014
Really loved the show, probably one of the best anime I've seen in a long time with an original concept and its own unique art style and aesthetics.
So many questions I have that I want answered though, I really hope there is a season 2. Since the visuals are such a spectacle to see I'd rather not pick up the manga.
Jan 3, 2018 4:47 PM

May 2014
This is the anime of the season for me.
Jan 4, 2018 9:10 AM

Apr 2015
"That's why I was thinking, maybe I should try losing my arms or legs too..." Nooooooo. Phos, you're a bad influence. :|

"Alex, do you like the Lunarians?" That seems like a silly question. Of course no one likes the Lunarians...Alex's interest never seemed like they liked them at all.

"I found no real answers." Funny, neither did I...the end was a massive cocktease! Did Sensei tell Phos about the Lunarians or not?

I'd give this show a ...7.5? The CG was quite impressive, especially compared to certain other CG anime. I really liked some characters, while some of them seemed to pop in and out/not be as memorable when the story expected me to know them when it was convenient. The show definitely works as an ad for the manga...for God's sake, what is Sensei's relationship with the Lunarians?!
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Jan 5, 2018 6:40 PM
Mar 2016
is that the end??? i didnt get the conclusion
Jan 5, 2018 8:01 PM

Jun 2017
riasgrmry said:
is that the end??? i didnt get the conclusion

This is only about halfway through the manga so far, so nowhere near the end.
Jan 6, 2018 2:35 PM

Apr 2014
Fantastic. Visually beautiful. Captivating and intriguing.
Jan 6, 2018 4:49 PM

Oct 2015
This was a decent ending that leaves us with suspense, to what is sensei hiding about the Lunarians and why they fight them. I must say I didn't feel this one at first maybe due to art and Phos. But eventually I got used to it and loved to watch Phos's character grew strong. Also the mystery behind the Lunarians got me intrigued and sensei being the center of it makes me want to know more.

As for Cinnabar story I honestly don't care, i am only interested to what's gonna happen when Phos finds out. I loved Antarcticite and I hope they recover her in the next season ( if it comes, which I hope will).

8/10 and wish for season 2 because I loved mostly the concept.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Jan 7, 2018 11:23 AM

Aug 2017
Houseki no Kuni have some forced scenes and is a bit convenient but it have better execution that others animes of this season that tried and failed so much. The comedy and animation are pure gold. I have some problems in the first 8 episodes with Phos and some characters anyway. 4/5 for the episode. 7/10 for the anime.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Jan 9, 2018 8:38 PM

Mar 2017
Wow, a disappointing ending... Not really satisfying even if the source material is unfinished. Otherwise it was anime of the year for me.
Brandon2149Jan 10, 2018 1:47 PM
Jan 10, 2018 6:06 AM

Mar 2012
Now we really really need S2

Rated 6/10 because the ending though
Jan 10, 2018 1:16 PM

Jun 2017
I really don't understand all the negativity about the ending--it's less than half way through the existing content, what are people expecting from it? Them to pull a climactic ending out of their rears even if there was nothing of the sort there in the original manga?
Jan 11, 2018 10:51 PM
Jul 2012
7 is the highest I can give this series tbh. I was ready to love it from the first few episodes, it has a lot of aspects I generally appreciate but it simply never went anywhere. Basically this anime didn't have good pacing at all. You basically get plotlines thrown at you with between 0 and 30 seconds of foreshadowing. Sadly a lot of the downtime was merely slapstick comedy rather than more relevant world building. For example the snail sub-plot was great but it came out of nowhere(you didn't even notice it on the lunarian "ship", you just thought they were shaped like shells in the first place. Also you never see any animals besides jellyfish beforehand, much less ones thst transform). Once they were done with that almost every idea from that arc was barely mentioned. Them hibernating during winter is interesting but they just introduced that on a whim, no "winter is coming". The list goes on. Also what's the point of having your characters be genderless immortal gems when they all just act like deres, they are supposed to be the bones of humans or whatever, they could have much more interesting behaviour. Like every anime that had this peculiar world with its own set of rules usually did a much better job on having good pacing. Haibane Renmei is the top recommendation, if only it was more like that and less like AOT/cute gems doing cute things
Jan 12, 2018 8:21 AM
Nov 2017
Tarextherex said:
7 is the highest I can give this series tbh. I was ready to love it from the first few episodes, it has a lot of aspects I generally appreciate but it simply never went anywhere. Basically this anime didn't have good pacing at all. You basically get plotlines thrown at you with between 0 and 30 seconds of foreshadowing. Sadly a lot of the downtime was merely slapstick comedy rather than more relevant world building. For example the snail sub-plot was great but it came out of nowhere(you didn't even notice it on the lunarian "ship", you just thought they were shaped like shells in the first place. Also you never see any animals besides jellyfish beforehand, much less ones thst transform). Once they were done with that almost every idea from that arc was barely mentioned. Them hibernating during winter is interesting but they just introduced that on a whim, no "winter is coming". The list goes on. Also what's the point of having your characters be genderless immortal gems when they all just act like deres, they are supposed to be the bones of humans or whatever, they could have much more interesting behaviour. Like every anime that had this peculiar world with its own set of rules usually did a much better job on having good pacing. Haibane Renmei is the top recommendation, if only it was more like that and less like AOT/cute gems doing cute things

On top of being somewhat asinine, many of your complaints are outright mistaken. For example, Yellow talks to Rutile about hibernation and Amethyst talk about winter coming soon throughout ep 6, with winter not arriving until partway through ep 7. Also, there are bugs/trillobites in literally the opening sequence with Cinnabar, there's a flock of birds when Phos talks to Sensei, beetles and butterflies when Phos is looking for Cinnabar, all from ep 1; so much for "only jellyfish".
Areku2021Jan 12, 2018 8:54 AM
Jan 12, 2018 3:44 PM
Jul 2012
Areku2021 said:
Tarextherex said:

On top of being somewhat asinine, many of your complaints are outright mistaken. For example, Yellow talks to Rutile about hibernation and Amethyst talk about winter coming soon throughout ep 6, with winter not arriving until partway through ep 7. Also, there are bugs/trillobites in literally the opening sequence with Cinnabar, there's a flock of birds when Phos talks to Sensei, beetles and butterflies when Phos is looking for Cinnabar, all from ep 1; so much for "only jellyfish".

Nitpicking my generalisations doesn't refute my point that this show simply lacked foreshadowing and had bad pacing overall. Again what was up with that snail that suddenly became much smaller? You think it's an action scene, that they are in danger because it's a lunarian or some shit but suddenly they are like "oh it's just a snail". No shit that the viewer would be confused to wtf this was about. The hibernation talk was like one minute of an episode that was about a whole different plotline. I don't think there was even any signs of it getting colder or anything. Before the winter part literally every episode involves Phos dragging down whoever she's paired with and always reacting cluelessly. The show simply has very erratic pacing, all of those small issues throughout the entire series damage it as a whole, which is why I can't consider this a great show. There are better ways to tell your story than by merely introducing plotlines with very little relation to each other while only having a few lines of very explicit information as foreshadowing
Jan 12, 2018 5:02 PM
Nov 2017
Tarextherex said:
Nitpicking my generalisations doesn't refute my point that this show simply lacked foreshadowing and had bad pacing overall.

Refuting that would require far more words than I'm prepared to spend my time typing. Suffice to say, you are very mistaken, and I felt a brief exploration of how some of your very specific complaints were also erroneous helps to demonstrate your general mistakenness.

But I'm not in the mood for arguing with you. If you want to see for yourself what I mean by foreshadowing being present, write up a list of things you think weren't foreshadowed and go through and watch the series again; you'll probably find most of them were there all along.

Pacing is more subjective, but I and most others felt it was excellently paced.
Jan 15, 2018 12:58 PM

May 2010
I adored this show. To think I wasn't going to watch at first, I was going to miss on something spectacular for sure.

10/10. Phos is love, I relate with them a lot personally so yeah. One of my favorite characters this season. Loved other characters too. This definitely deserves a S2.
Jan 18, 2018 12:16 AM

Dec 2010
Tarextherex said:

Honestly, this is pretty close to how I feel about this series. I didn't hate it, but it did feel like they just went from one idea to next way too often. The series grabs your attention with one thing, and then just ignores it completely. Like, when the snail shows up and then turns into a humanoid creature that starts talking about how humans got split up into three parts I thought, "Oh, maybe the story's going to get interesting now. Maybe they'll expand on this." Nope. Never mentioned again. Yeah, maybe Phos forgot all about it, but the viewer didn't, and it's annoying that it isn't followed though on.

Also, I don't think I like Phos. She seemed really likable at first, but eventually I realized she doesn't take anything seriously and just ruins everything for everyone else. I get that she's supposed to be the odd one that's gonna shake things up in the sequel or whatever, which should make an interesting character, but she just never seemed to follow through on anything. Or maybe she's supposed to be a tragic character that has dreams but since her world is cruel they never pan out? I don't know... I felt like she was a pale imitation of better characters similar to her.

I gave the show a 6 though, which I still think is okay. I really do appreciate unique settings and all. The show at least held my attention. I just wish it paid off more. Oh well, to each their own I guess.

I think the show would have been better if Phos just wrote that damn encyclopedia and discovered how interesting her world really was through writing it... which would have actually transitioned better into her trying to uncover the truth about the Lunarians.
Jan 18, 2018 8:12 AM

Jun 2017
shotgunjesus said:

Also, I don't think I like Phos. She seemed really likable at first, but eventually I realized she doesn't take anything seriously and just ruins everything for everyone else. I get that she's supposed to be the odd one that's gonna shake things up in the sequel or whatever, which should make an interesting character, but she just never seemed to follow through on anything. Or maybe she's supposed to be a tragic character that has dreams but since her world is cruel they never pan out? I don't know... I felt like she was a pale imitation of better characters similar to her.

You're complaining about, like, her core character arc for the show. She starts out the youngest of the group and about as mature, and she's one of the weakest so she DOESN'T have any strength to back up what she wants to do. You can see how she starts to take her responsibilities seriously after Antarc dies and does finally get to become physically stronger.
Jan 18, 2018 8:41 AM
Sep 2017
An absolute wonder of a show. I love the tone they ended this season on.
It reminds me of the finale of Made in Abyss in that they laid the groundwork for a continuation and making it seem like the journey is only now really starting, while at the same time giving you a sense of of closure.

Phos changing and "growing up" was the center of this story and they did a grat job in this episode to show that with the reimagining of the opening sequence in the first episode. It feels like complete arc.
It's the same feeling I got from Made in Abyss and it's balloon scene. It connected the beginning and the end in such a wonderful way.
Jan 18, 2018 2:07 PM

Dec 2010
sorathecrow said:

You're complaining about, like, her core character arc for the show. She starts out the youngest of the group and about as mature, and she's one of the weakest so she DOESN'T have any strength to back up what she wants to do. You can see how she starts to take her responsibilities seriously after Antarc dies and does finally get to become physically stronger.

Well, that's more or less my issue with the series. It does indeed focus on Phos growing as a character, but I don't find her very interesting for that kind of character because of the way she develops. She starts off wanting to fight even though she's weak, wanting to help Cinnabar even though she doesn't really understand her or her situation, and not wanting to even think about writing the encyclopedia she was assigned to write. All of those are very immature, which is obviously what they were going for. That's all good and well, but she doesn't actually learn why she should change, instead she just does. She never learns why writing the encyclopedia may have been important, and then the task just gets rescinded from her. She never comes to the realization that helping Cinnabar is out of her depth unless she takes learning about Cinnabar and her kind's way of life more seriously. She never learns that fighting isn't the only way to help and that it takes serious commitment to get to say, Bort's level, but instead just loses limbs and gets convenient upgrades in their place that enable her to fulfill her immature dream of fighting with the rest of the gang.

Maybe I would enjoy where the story goes from here (it's certainly going somewhere), but this season just focusing on Phos's growth felt lackluster to me. I feel like there's a better existentialist story about belonging and sacrifice buried beneath the surface, but the series unfortunately didn't focus on that.

I don't think anyone that enjoyed the series is wrong or anything, I just think I'm holding it to a higher standard than I do other series. That's because I think the series is holding itself to a higher standard (or well, its creators are). It's designed to be a thought-provoking series, and I'm glad there's demand for series of this type, but when I do think about it... I don't really understand what they were trying to say. My questions felt unanswered, and my interest in Phos felt unrewarded.

Or maybe it's just not my thing. There's too much in the world for me to spend anymore time contemplating why this show didn't push my buttons. Just gotta move on and try something else.
Jan 18, 2018 8:46 PM

Jul 2012
I really didn't expect to love this show!

The art and animation are incredible. I felt like I was watching art. So many stunning angle shots. It didn't feel like it was too abstract or anything because it fit well.

It's a bit rushed, like how Phos changes so fast from innocent to rebellious/stoic. I wish there was more, it feels incomplete overall. A season 2 would be nice.

It's great to see Shinsekai Yori being the top in the recommendations list. It is indeed similar and I love both. They both give the same feeling, it's art but the story sells too. It's a shame HnK is incomplete so far.

I really loved the characters especially Cinnabar and Diamond. However, my main issue was that there were too many similar looking characters and a lot of them didn't really get a chance to shine. Maybe introducing too many was a bad decision, idk.

9/10
Jan 20, 2018 6:58 AM

Mar 2017
Mayuka said:
I really didn't expect to love this show!

The art and animation are incredible. I felt like I was watching art. So many stunning angle shots. It didn't feel like it was too abstract or anything because it fit well.

It's a bit rushed, like how Phos changes so fast from innocent to rebellious/stoic. I wish there was more, it feels incomplete overall. A season 2 would be nice.

Exactly this.

I watched just because some people in youtube said "A good CG anime" but I really didn't expect to love this shiow. All about this show is just beautiful.

Although, I agree it's a bit rushed in that part but it still hit me in the heart when Antarcticite got taken by the Lunarian. As for Phos, seeing someone changes like that always hard, but that's for the best.

Surely I'll recommend this anime to all my friends.

For now, I might start to read the manga, can't wait any longer to know more about this beautiful story.

A season 2 is necessary.

For me, this is an easy 10/10.
Jan 20, 2018 8:54 AM

Nov 2013
The visual and the music were beauty. but the story didn't out of its circle, Phos is okay but others are just empty. Saying this season just a set up for something bigger doesn't help too.

Anyway, it was just average. Incomplete production but there's a chance the overall series become better when S2 is out, and I'm up for it.
DannyTheDonkeyJan 20, 2018 9:22 AM
I'm too weird to live but much too rare to die.

Jan 20, 2018 9:05 AM

Dec 2014
just finished and well its definitely good there is so much mystery woven into its story i really hope it will get a season 2. from what ive seen 12ep arent enough to answer all the mystery surrounding sensei,lunarians although it didnt answer it did ask good questions giving us bits of information here and there making all the setup, no doubt its plot elements will come altogether to make something grand. until then we gotta wait, there can be no rush for a good story/mystery.
since im not a manga reader no choice but to wait for season 2. i am confused about what to rate this similar to how i felt in my hero academia before its second 2 its too early to rate for now its 8.5/10 with a promising second i can see it reaching 9 or even 10 yea its seriously great
i never posted anything this big in MAL but for a small show it need explanation
Send me Friend requests!!!!
Jan 24, 2018 2:47 PM

Jul 2015
GIVE ME SEASON 2 NOW

plz x)
Jan 26, 2018 8:18 PM
Jul 2016
This was about the best possible way they could have wrapped a 12 episode season, really. I loved the callbacks, and the sense of progress with time. Outstanding series, 9/10, and a theoretical S2 getting 10/10 is not off the table if it happens.

Honestly I'm glad to see other people felt like this one resonated with Haibane Renmei at certain frequencies - similar exploration of themes in a lot of ways. Plus a pinch of weirdness from something like Shinsekai Yori or Gargantia or whatnot as others have mentioned, but my heart goes back to Haibane Renmei as the touchstone here.
Jan 26, 2018 11:13 PM
Sep 2017
just completed this "gem". It was awesome, the only way to show the shiny colors and texture and finishing look of gems was through CGI and they nailed it. Plus the OP,ED and OST were so emotional. I JUST LOVED THIS SHOW. Now i have to wait god knows how many years for next season i hope it would be soon. AND i hope in next season Phos gets here original limbs back the look was so unsatified.
Jan 27, 2018 10:53 PM
Nov 2017
Blackdober said:
AND i hope in next season Phos gets here original limbs back the look was so unsatified.
If my understanding of the significance of precious minerals in Buddhism is correct, Phos has 4 or 5 more transformations in store (more likely 5, depends on whether getting dissolved by Ventricosus counted as one).
Areku2021Jan 27, 2018 10:58 PM
Jan 28, 2018 10:55 AM

Sep 2009
empty feeling after finishing an anime, was not felt for couple of years I think.
Jan 29, 2018 8:54 AM
Jul 2018
Definitely the underrated gem of the season (this pun gets really old I know haha).

The plot progressed got far and doesn't signify anything from what we were given in the first episode which is a breath of fresh air compared to other 2-cour anime making no progress whatsoever. Pacing was on-point. A few hiccups here and there, but on-point nonetheless.

Characters were constantly being developed, however... Phos' character development seemed out of place and too instantaneous. I really hope they bring her old look back as well, I dislike her new look (that's subjective however). The convenient upgrades were a slap on the face and a major turn off. I understand the legs getting stronger the first time -because how else will the plot progress-, but those arms were needlessly overkill and pretty powerful as well with no significant exchange whatsoever.

Sound was spectacular all the time, OST was really good during the fights and there was a pretty memorable special ED on one of the episodes which was god-awesome.

I would rate a 8/10 mainly due to the imbalanced power upgrades; but will have to put a 7/10 instead due to the very open-endedness of the season.

Really looking forward to a 2nd season.
Jan 29, 2018 10:50 PM

Feb 2014
I honestly wouldn't have ever watched this if it hadn't gotten so much representation in CR's Anime Awards, so I wanted to see what I was missing out.

Overall, I really liked the show. It's very original and kind of odd, but in a good way. I thought the show did a good job showcasing all the characters and Phos's development was fascinating to watch, even though it was pretty damn fast, I mean this is . I really liked the sense of mystery in the show too. I think my favorite part of the whole show was when Phos went off with the King and she revealed all that information about the past and how the humans were separated into three different species. I really liked the king too (and dem tits), I'm sad that we didn't get to see her again.

Some of things that kind of bugged me is that we didn't get to find out more about the mysteries. After episode 4 I thought it'd expand from there, but Phos only lost all her memory. The laid back moments were nice, but I felt like the plot might have been twiddling its thumbs for too long so to speak. Especially after the winter arc. It also kind of bugged me that we didn't see much of Cinnabar at all! They set her up to be an important character, but she had a very small role this season which bummed me out since she seemed like a really good character. It seems like towards the end we're finally going to get the team up with Phos and Cinnabar that we needed, but I wished that was way sooner because to me it seemed like Cinnabar was forgotten for most of the season. Maybe in the future arcs she'll become more important?

But ya straight up, this is the best CGI I've ever seen used in a TV anime, even better than shows like Ajin I'd say. This proves that CGI can look good! Berserk could learn some lessons...

This was a very interesting show, but I just wanna learn more about the mysteries of the world, I feel like we've barely scratched the surface!

Overall, 8/10
Jan 30, 2018 5:35 PM
Nov 2017
Ligkonakos said:
but those arms were needlessly overkill and pretty powerful as well with no significant exchange whatsoever.
The weight of the alloy has slowed Phos down to where she was before getting upgraded legs. Indeed, she's also noticeably slower/more cumbersome than the likes of Bort and Dia, depending on her alloy tendrils to achieve anything remotely resembling comparable mobility (but still lacking speed).
Jan 31, 2018 4:32 AM
Jul 2018
Areku2021 said:
Ligkonakos said:
but those arms were needlessly overkill and pretty powerful as well with no significant exchange whatsoever.
The weight of the alloy has slowed Phos down to where she was before getting upgraded legs. Indeed, she's also noticeably slower/more cumbersome than the likes of Bort and Dia, depending on her alloy tendrils to achieve anything remotely resembling comparable mobility (but still lacking speed).

Oh yes, don't get me wrong that's true. I think my frustration came mainly from the fact that the gold/platinum alloy seemed out of place compared to the "rigidness" that consumes the show. Seemed to "break the laws" of the established physics of the show, though it did offer for some god-tier animation sequences.
Jan 31, 2018 9:17 AM

Jun 2017
Ligkonakos said:
Areku2021 said:

Oh yes, don't get me wrong that's true. I think my frustration came mainly from the fact that the gold/platinum alloy seemed out of place compared to the "rigidness" that consumes the show. Seemed to "break the laws" of the established physics of the show, though it did offer for some god-tier animation sequences.

That doesn't really make sense though, think about it--one of the very earliest characters introduced is Cinnabar, who uses liquid mechanics just like Phos' does later. So they established very early on that fluid manipulation like that was possible.
Jan 31, 2018 9:36 AM
Jul 2018

Sounds about right, however it's the notion that I have always known mercury to be liquid whereas gold/platinum to be solid that gives me the idea that it doesn't fit in.

Never studied mineralogy and the anime could be correct -it should be though- but it still took away from the overall immersion.
Jan 31, 2018 4:43 PM

Jun 2014
Very good series, hands down the best CG show I've ever seen, this gives me some optimism on 3d animation. The backgrounds were gorgeous, the art direction was stunning, the directing was top tier and this show really made use of the advantages of CG in high intensity moments where it would've been impossible to animate things with 2D. Interestingly enough, the show also uses 2D effectively, for scenes that would look weird in CG, this show strike a perfect balance almost. The OST was nice, reminded me of the OST from Avatar and the Legend of Korra.

The concept of the show, the story, the characters, all is absolutely stunning. The way the gems are represented and how well crafted they are even if they are minor characters is impressive, they all shine bright whenever they appear and leave a memorable impression, their colors aren't easily forgotten. They also all have great seiyuus.

Our main character Phos is amazing, her voice acting is top tier, the changes she goes through and her charm make her a fascinating and memorable lead.

Kongou-sensei is cool as fuck and his voice is orgasmic. Enough said, he is cool, did I mention that already?

Contender for my AOTY in 2017 alongside with Shoujo Shuumatsu.

10/10 for me, maybe one day we'll get a sequel to this memorable experience and ride. Time to finally read the manga.
alpha_shadowJan 31, 2018 5:17 PM
:3
Feb 1, 2018 10:19 PM

Jan 2013
So is Phos a boy or a girl? I see people online using different pronouns so now I'm not sure anymore.
Feb 2, 2018 9:31 AM

Jun 2017
Major123 said:
So is Phos a boy or a girl? I see people online using different pronouns so now I'm not sure anymore.

They're all genderless according to the author, but in the original Japanese they use terms like "big/little bro" to refer to each other, but in the English translation (approved by the author) they use gender neutral pronouns. I just call them "she" usually because it's easier.
Feb 3, 2018 8:49 PM
Feb 2018
So, like, is kongo a human, is he the new jesus, a lunarian, what?
Feb 4, 2018 1:44 PM

Jul 2013
What a beautiful anime! I wished was more to it, I really want to read the manga. I love the characters, especially Phos, the animation is beautiful and eye-catching, and the OP and ED songs are great. I hope it gets a 2nd season. 8/10
Feb 4, 2018 3:59 PM
Jan 2016
That cliffhanger tho. Either I missed something and shit somehow came full circle, or they're really betting on a Season 2 to provide us with some sort of closure.
Feb 7, 2018 6:59 PM
Jan 2017
sorathecrow said:
RediceRyan said:

Yeah, it's easy to forget but that's all that's left of the world. Although now apparently there's SIX moons.

And the only two slug people are off making babies and repopulating the ocean. :p

It kinda shows what happened. The sensei was talking about 6 shooting stars (those 6 moons) which came to the earth, that would have caused massive earthquakes, basically sinking the continents leaving only the highest points remaining, or creating this new 'island'.

I don't comprehend really this splitting of flesh, spirit and bone, although that might be something explained later if they make a new season - but this is anime and a lot of it is just 'this is the way things are so just accept it).

Anyway, I watched this in 2 days, utterly loved it, I expected tears by the end but instead we got a cliffhanger. I'm now on chapter 43 of the manga, after starting at 31.

I really hope for a new season, the added colour and CGI really makes things easier to figure out.
Feb 9, 2018 4:54 AM

Dec 2015
That was a dogshit season finale. There was no conflict whatsoever. 1/5
Feb 11, 2018 5:57 AM

Dec 2012
It's rare that I like when an ending does not really end an anime, but this one is very good. This last scene with Phosphophyllite is perfect.

I would love to see a sequel, but if it stays like this, I'm ok with it. The world building is awesome with all these gems and the story about humans. I want to see more things about it!
The fact that there is no gender is also interesting, we can choose which gems acts more like a girl or not.
My favorite part is the one with Antarcticite. The chemistry between Antar and Phos was very pleasant to watch. The flow between the dialogs is great and with the camera angles and the fluidity of animations, the fights are incredible.

I loved this anime!
Pages (7) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Not at 500,000 viewers after 6 years :(

ghier - Dec 2, 2023

29 by APolygons2 »»
Feb 11, 12:24 PM

Poll: » Houseki no Kuni (TV) Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 11, 2017

147 by JoestarEISH_020 »»
Dec 4, 2023 8:29 PM

Poll: » Houseki no Kuni (TV) Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Nov 4, 2017

98 by JoestarEISH_020 »»
Dec 2, 2023 8:27 PM

Poll: » Houseki no Kuni (TV) Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Oct 28, 2017

108 by JoestarEISH_020 »»
Dec 2, 2023 7:59 PM

Poll: » Houseki no Kuni (TV) Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Oct 21, 2017

106 by JoestarEISH_020 »»
Dec 1, 2023 4:33 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.