Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jan 11, 2018 10:09 AM

Nov 2017
i'm actually angry about that i seriously think anime are being sabotated. good anime are rated 6 and bad anime are rated 9 screw this i'm protesting.

Mod Edit:

Thread locked. Please see: Anime Discussion Rule 2: Not encouraging discussion.
TenshoAug 7, 2019 10:45 AM
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jan 11, 2018 10:10 AM

May 2014
You should stop contributing to the problem then.
Jan 11, 2018 10:10 AM
Nov 2015
Thanks for opening my eyes about it! I'd never noticed!
I don't know what to put here
Jan 11, 2018 10:12 AM

Nov 2017
Ericonator said:

i'm no longer giving serious quotes anymore
Jan 11, 2018 10:13 AM

Apr 2016
And what are those good anime and bad anime?
Jan 11, 2018 10:14 AM

Oct 2015
Didn't we just get a thread about MAL scores earlier? Jesus.

Almost none of my friends take the scores seriously. I see fucking Kimi no Na Wa and Koe no Katachi at top. The former being utter trash and the latter being mediocre.
-Lofn-Jan 11, 2018 10:28 AM

π”šπ”žπ”«π”«π”ž 𝔱𝔬𝔲𝔠π”₯ 𝔢𝔬𝔲,
π”šπ”žπ”«π”±π”¦π”«' 𝔢𝔬𝔲 𝔴𝔦𝔱π”₯ π”žπ”©π”© π”ͺ𝔢 π”ͺ𝔦𝔀π”₯𝔱

Jan 11, 2018 10:15 AM

Sep 2014
They mean what they're supposed to mean - what people's opinions on anime are, they don't have to align with yours. The system might be slightly skewed and not represent the opinions fairly, as people use scores in different ways and some purposely troll (although 'fake' accounts are being removed all the time), but it does it's job just OK.

I agree they're a fucking joke though
Jan 11, 2018 10:20 AM

Oct 2014
OP rates everything 10/10 so far... Complains about score system...
Jan 11, 2018 10:20 AM

Jul 2016
I wanna sabotate my favorite anime.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 11, 2018 10:21 AM

Apr 2013
>complaining about scores in 2018

pls, just watch the damn shows and discuss with people why they deserve a higher score.

Ascended Taste
I only came back to this site for the forum sets and to promote my RYM list... Anilist ftw still :dab:
Jan 11, 2018 10:21 AM

Nov 2017
Solitary_Fate said:
OP rates everything 10/10 so far... Complains about score system...

OP has an old profile with serious scores
Squidster said:

is that not how you say it
Jan 11, 2018 10:33 AM

Nov 2014
The way this reads, plus OPs Haruhi avatar makes this post look so salty, lol.
Jan 11, 2018 10:34 AM

Mar 2014
>Taking MAL scores seriously

There's your problem
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Jan 11, 2018 10:36 AM
Jul 2015
That is an injustice that will never change, mainly because of the bare criteria of ... The worst can be contradicted without appearing egocentric.
Jan 11, 2018 10:37 AM

Jul 2016
agahtha said:
Squidster said:

I think the word you're looking for is sabotage.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 11, 2018 10:39 AM

Feb 2013
noooo why doesnt the mal rankings perfectly fit with mine :(((((((
the entire system is a sham
Jan 11, 2018 10:41 AM

Sep 2015
that's just a well known fact about mal
N.etorare T.echnical R.esearcher
Jan 11, 2018 10:42 AM

Nov 2017
Squidster said:
agahtha said:

I think the word you're looking for is sabotage.

ah. right. thank you. writing "sabotaged" didn't feel right
Jan 11, 2018 10:43 AM

Nov 2017
romagia said:

this way the unpopular amazing anime are being forgotten
Jan 11, 2018 10:45 AM

Feb 2013
Everyone has different taste.
That's why you have your lists and scores, MAL scores are the scores of thousands of people, don't expect everyone to like the same things you do.
Jan 11, 2018 10:46 AM

Oct 2017
And water is wet. I mean of course MAL's ratings are more based on popularity and recency bias.
Jan 11, 2018 10:49 AM

Oct 2017
agahtha said:
romagia said:

this way the unpopular amazing anime are being forgotten

Like? Give some examples....before "protesting"
Jan 11, 2018 10:50 AM

Dec 2015
Instead of simply looking at the numbers, learn to interpret the data provided
Jan 11, 2018 10:52 AM

Jun 2017
OK , I'll tell you nothing just because you've got Haruhi as your picture

Jan 11, 2018 10:53 AM

Nov 2014
Your scores are a joke. they mean nothing.
Jan 11, 2018 10:53 AM

Aug 2017
Welcome to mal! I hope you enjoy your stay and if you have any questions about the site you can ask me any time
Jan 11, 2018 10:57 AM

Nov 2016
Scores, good and bad anime... That's all subjective, you know...

« If you want to be yourself, then you must become strong and beautiful. »
- Vil Schoenheit
πŸ•‚Anime ListπŸ•‚Manga ListπŸ•‚VN ListπŸ•‚
♥ Credits to Shuuka
Jan 11, 2018 10:57 AM

May 2012
>mal scores are shit.

most people's highly rated scores are in top ten. i look at all your favorites and all of them are popular. you retards hate yourselfs
Jan 11, 2018 10:58 AM
Nov 2017
The scores will never satisfy everyone across the board. That is not their purpose.

Most people I know of (including myself) watch shows either recommended to them or by perusing themselves. Rating is mostly a popularity contest. No anime is being "forgotten" you just have to look, they are forever listed on the site.

Put your energy elsewhere, I'd suggest.
Jan 11, 2018 10:58 AM
Oct 2017
It's the same with any score rating 0: There is a reason why companies that ask you to rate them in 0-10 systems only care about 8-10's. The 7 is the neutral it's not shit and not amazing statement. And ppl that are not amazed won't tell their friends about it to advertise the product. For you that should mean if MAL say's it's 8 upwards the common MAL folk thinks it's good enough to recommend it. It's just the opinions of strangers that have no effect on your life. Do you care about their taste? They don't care about yours either x)
Jan 11, 2018 11:01 AM

Feb 2015
The idea of good and bad are purely subjective concepts... The MAL ratings or really any ratings in general are based off a collective agreement by a large demographic... Just because "you" thought X anime was good... Doesn't mean the other 100,000+ people thought the same thing...

People generally agree on what is considered good and bad but there is always that smaller percent that choose to think otherwise... Either way there is nothing to complain about because the idea is moot... You ranting about it only shows how little understanding you have about entertainment or really anything in general...

There will always be something you like, something you hate... Subjectivity is defined by the fact that something cannot be tested, thus not being able to obtain fact... The idea of what a good show is or isn't can't be tested because there is nothing to test...

If person A runs faster than person B, then it is fact that A ran faster than B... Objectively the truth... But if A thinks X show is good, and B doesn't... There is no fact... Because what determines a good show is based purely on each individual viewer...

So to put it plainly... I just proved you're a dumbass scientifically...
Jan 11, 2018 11:15 AM

Nov 2015
Everyone has a different opinion and give ratings in a different way, the overall score just gives a general idea of what people think so yeah don't give importance to them.
Jan 11, 2018 11:15 AM

Dec 2016
This is an insightful and useful thread that I have never seen before on MAL.

What's the difference?
Jan 11, 2018 11:19 AM

Aug 2010
Dude, you are just preaching to the choir right now.
Jan 11, 2018 11:19 AM

Oct 2017
Saying that the scores are a joke because they do not completely coincide with your opinion is a stupid thing to do. The scores show the majority opinion and on MAL they do what they are supposed to do.I end up agreeing with the ratings most of the time. If I didn't enjoy a show and it is rated highly, I just accept that most people enjoyed the anime and I have different opinion than them.Accepting that other people can have different opinions than yours isn't too difficult of a thing to do.
Barusukun13Jan 11, 2018 11:22 AM
Jan 11, 2018 11:21 AM

Jun 2015
agahtha said:
Ericonator said:

i'm no longer giving serious quotes anymore

You're not making good threads either.
Jan 11, 2018 11:33 AM

Nov 2017
velvetPhos said:
I assume this is bait because OP has mean score of 10...

it isn't, i have an old profile with serious scores, i just got tired of scoring things of they mean nothing
Jan 11, 2018 11:34 AM

Mar 2017
Something that may be a factor with new and recent releases is what I call the "honeymoon effect". When you first see a movie, especially if you saw it in a setting with a good video/sound system (e.g. a theater) you're riding high on how enjoyable the experience was,and by extension, the movie itself. Over time, however, your impression of the film declines as you notice the flaws more and compare it more objectively to similar works. Back when I paid closer attention to IMDB movie ratings, this effect was pretty evident on newly released films, which initially got strong ratings that often fell off somewhat in the months that followed, and always left me feeling like older films that pre-dated the IMDB never got a fair shake in their movie ratings.

The effect is likely present to a degree on MAL. People favor the newer/recent works over works that are older or viewed long ago. However I'd guess it's lessened for a couple of reasons. First, most anime are series that have to be taken in over a number of days, weeks, or months, unlike a movie. Second, most anime are viewed in a home setting that doesn't provide that enhanced movie theater experience that might affect one's perception. Third, unlike IMDB, MAL allows you to change your ratings later, and if enough people later decide that movie they rated a 9 after their first viewing actually deserved a 7, the rating may drop over time. I have no idea how many MAL users actually do this, but I personally go back over mine occasionally and if I spot something I liked more than another work but which I rated lower, I'll adjust the ratings.
A møøse once bit my sister...
Jan 11, 2018 11:36 AM

Aug 2014
If they are a joke why are you angry??
Sieg Zeon!
Jan 11, 2018 11:36 AM
Jul 2018
MAL scores are laughable, we have:

Boku no Hero 2nd Season -> 8.78

And we have:

Zeta Gundam -> 8.01

I would like to see the percentage of people who, having watched the two animes, would say that Boku no Hero is better.

Scores of battle-shonen anime are very inflated because the majority of their fanbase is very young.
removed-userJan 11, 2018 11:41 AM
Jan 11, 2018 11:37 AM
Mar 2017
Well it's not like scores prevent you from watching or enjoying the anime.
So nothing's being sabotaged here.
Jan 11, 2018 11:39 AM
Jul 2018
Here we go again.... I mean, really? It's what, the third time in the past two weeks?

To ease your suffering, do these:
If you care about scores, being critic about anime or just analysing anime and give it what you consider the "right" score, don't look for it here xD
Most people will tell you this:
Ppl rate anime because they like it, not because they critically analysed it
Your opinion is subjective
You're a elitist
No one gives a shit about your opinion

Been on your spot, done that. So if you want to save yourself a headache just keep your views to yourself xD

ps: written with all possible compassion.
Jan 11, 2018 11:40 AM

Nov 2017
QuattroVaginas said:
If they are a joke why are you angry??

the joke is on me
Yoruka93 said:
MAL scores are laughable, we have:

Boku no Hero 2nd Season -> 8.78

And we have:

Zeta Gundam -> 8.01

I would like to see the percentage of people who, having watched the two animes, would say that Boku no Hero is better.

makes me want to watch zeta gundam
mwalimu said:
Something that may be a factor with new and recent releases is what I call the "honeymoon effect". When you first see a movie, especially if you saw it in a setting with a good video/sound system (e.g. a theater) you're riding high on how enjoyable the experience was,and by extension, the movie itself. Over time, however, your impression of the film declines as you notice the flaws more and compare it more objectively to similar works. Back when I paid closer attention to IMDB movie ratings, this effect was pretty evident on newly released films, which initially got strong ratings that often fell off somewhat in the months that followed, and always left me feeling like older films that pre-dated the IMDB never got a fair shake in their movie ratings.

The effect is likely present to a degree on MAL. People favor the newer/recent works over works that are older or viewed long ago. However I'd guess it's lessened for a couple of reasons. First, most anime are series that have to be taken in over a number of days, weeks, or months, unlike a movie. Second, most anime are viewed in a home setting that doesn't provide that enhanced movie theater experience that might affect one's perception. Third, unlike IMDB, MAL allows you to change your ratings later, and if enough people later decide that movie they rated a 9 after their first viewing actually deserved a 7, the rating may drop over time. I have no idea how many MAL users actually do this, but I personally go back over mine occasionally and if I spot something I liked more than another work but which I rated lower, I'll adjust the ratings.

at least in IMDB second seasons are in the same page as first season, here it's just a mess
Jan 11, 2018 11:43 AM

Jul 2012
Sorry to break it to you, but all scores are a joke.
No matter how a series/movie/book/restaurant/etc. is scored it will in no way adjust itself to personal taste because it is simply an average.
Chances are amongst any average sample you personally will think like half of the people involved have garbage taste just generally speaking (you can just narrow it down to the most basic question good or bad if it's a 50/50 split then you have to disagree with at least half of the people). As a result all mean scores are meaningless.

Really the only scores that have any meaning at all are the ones each person personally give but they will be meaningless to everyone else until somebody decides that their taste almost perfectly aligns with theirs.
GamerDLMJan 11, 2018 11:50 AM
Jan 11, 2018 11:44 AM

May 2017
agahtha said:
velvetPhos said:
I assume this is bait because OP has mean score of 10...

it isn't, i have an old profile with serious scores, i just got tired of scoring things of they mean nothing

making a new account and rating everything 10 is part of why the score system is fucked up so its not really an excuse..
Jan 11, 2018 11:45 AM

Jun 2017
People have different tastes than you? How could it happen?!

Jan 11, 2018 11:46 AM

Apr 2017
That's nothing new, we all know that and we all admit that.

You aren't alone, I guess.

"elles sont bien noires
les pensées des nuits blanches"

Jan 11, 2018 11:46 AM

Dec 2017
I hope you do realize that Good and Bad, at least in the Entertainment Industry, are just code words for 'What I Like?' and 'What I don't Like?'.
Jan 11, 2018 11:47 AM

Apr 2017
You say it as if people didn't already know lol

It's the internet. Does anyone actually care what anyone else thinks?
Jan 11, 2018 11:48 AM

Apr 2017
-Lofn- said:
Didn't we just get a thread about MAL scores earlier? Jesus.

Almost none of my friends take the scores seriously. I see fucking Kimi no Na Wa and Koe no Katachi at top. The former being utter trash and the latter being mediocre.

At least, koe no katachi is good.

Kimi no nawa is the big deal, people's shit taste in everything has no limits, fuck.

"elles sont bien noires
les pensées des nuits blanches"

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Anime Misandry ( 1 2 )

ColourWheel - Apr 21

63 by DigiCat »»
32 seconds ago

» Can someone help me find this anime's name?

Angelblue1852 - 1 hour ago

2 by trinitroglycerin »»
54 seconds ago

» Credit cards companies are forcing the Hentai industry

Dije - 5 minutes ago

1 by LSSJ_Gaming »»
58 seconds ago

Poll: » So, is anime male or female?

Tirinchas - Yesterday

32 by Catalano »»
3 minutes ago

» Ruined after Serial Experiments Lain [Spoilers]

zaitec - May 6, 2017

16 by bacassu »»
6 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.