Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jan 10, 2018 7:39 PM

Jan 2018
This is a thread to discuss about the LATEST SPOILERS of DNA. If you do not want or do not like to see the spoiler, then do not read any further, there will be spoilers everywhere.

Greetings, I'm GDV. I'm creating a discussion thread here for anyone interested in to come and discuss about the RAW spoilers of DNA.

I will posts text spoilers and spoiler translation here for people to read and discuss on the latest chapter of DNA; however, I am not part of a RAW or Scanlation provider or am I trying to compete with them so be aware that the translation of the chapters will be rough and sloppy (cos sometimes I do it after work, drinking and stuffs), so I won't be doing scanlation. Please refer to the direct page of the translation groups for your scans and better translation and support them for their wonderful contribution to the community.

If you don't mind sloppy translation (please go ahead to correct me and point out sloppy translations if you see them) and want to discuss anything related to DNA's spoiler and occasionally side track RL baseball (please place in Spoilers tag to make it clean for everyone if you discuss about RL baseball).

Welcome and have fun!

---------------------------------------

Below is some of the information about DNA's pitchers for your references:
+ Pitchers' stats by game (compiled by Manganimae, me and others):
+ Official pitchers' data sheet (translated by TDX):

+ Speculation on Sawamura's pitches based on shown grips:

General information related to the story:
+Official recap of the story so far:

+ High school baseball Tournament calendar year in Japan:
GDVAug 11, 2018 5:21 AM
Pages (32) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jan 10, 2018 9:05 PM

Feb 2016
Hello!
Thanks for making another forum @GDV!! Hopefully this one stays up for a while...

Not that I contribute much, but the story's being very boring - I haven't read much of the manga lately, let alone the discussions!

But still, it's fun to read your-all discussions, so making my move from here too :)
Yoroshikune! ;)
Jan 10, 2018 9:32 PM

Jan 2018
Wonder if were going to get full a chapter of furyua hype
Jan 10, 2018 9:51 PM

Jan 2018
@lost1gryff
Thanks, hopefully we will be able to settle down here for time to come. I'll post chapter translation and discussion here starting this week.

@Travee_Wavvee
Probably but that's not a concern now is it, this late in the game.
Jan 10, 2018 10:30 PM
Jan 2018
Hey @GDV!
Thanks for creating the new forum, with any luck this is the last one for a while.
@Travee_Wavee:
I don't think it will happen yet, but Furuya needs to make some sort of comeback to at least Fall tournament shape or otherwise Sawamura and Nori are going to have to pitch like absolute ironmen just to get to the koshien, never mind getting to the finals. Which is something I would want to avoid like the plague, since that ruined Yuki Saito's career and nearly did the same to Masahiro Tanaka (though he got lucky and is still able to pitch at his true level but his elbow is a ticking time bomb). If there is one thing I really hate about Japanese baseball is the over pitching that occurs, especially for younger pitchers. The fact that Terajima didn't go in that direction of the Ace must pitch every inning, sort of drew me into this manga, it was that Seidou unlike literally every other team in Japanese HS Baseball in anime or Manga used a pitching rotation and no one pitcher would be pitching a ridiculous amount of innings. I don't want Sawamura to be used like Saito and Tanaka were used in high school for the sake of, to use Tanaka's coach, the creation of "a beautiful Japanese moment" (this is right after Tanaka and Saito had a duel that lasted two days and ended with a 4-3 score and they threw over 1500 pitches in the past ten days combined, saito threw 941 and Tanaka threw 742 in their second year). I would like him to come back to some sort of form that is usable for seidou.
Jan 11, 2018 12:55 AM
Feb 2014
woah, I can finally join in because first site I have an account (and dont need to register somewhere else)

long time lurker.
Jan 11, 2018 1:03 AM

Jan 2018
Hey all, glad the community can still go on despite all the moves, and we may pick up some people on MAL too.
Jan 11, 2018 3:24 AM

Jan 2011
Nice. Someone made a spoiler thread!
Jan 11, 2018 4:42 AM

Nov 2009
Yay~ Let's hope these forums won't go down for a while.

And yeah, we'll probably see a few chapters of Furuya hype since there's a need to prove (should I write 'shove it down our throats'? since the manner is almost always heavy-handed) that he's a real contender for the ace title. I at least hope Yamamori proves an interesting team.
CGJan 11, 2018 6:55 AM
ったく、嫌な世の中だよ。
Jan 11, 2018 6:14 AM

Jul 2012
I hope you guys don't jynx MAL as well. haha
Jan 11, 2018 6:16 AM

Jan 2018
hi to all...
Again
ADellaLunaJan 14, 2018 1:40 AM
Jan 11, 2018 6:32 AM
Jan 2018
Hi, again people!

Seems we are jumping all over the places lately (like cats, i love!), hope this one survives. And tbh, I am getting a bit greedy. Looking forward to getting some spoilers earlier this time.
Jan 11, 2018 6:37 AM

Jan 2018
Roy_28 said:

lol don't you jinx us Roy
Jan 11, 2018 6:44 AM

Jan 2018
RoKrish said:
Hey @GDV!

... saito threw 941 and Tanaka threw 742 in their second year). I would like him to come back to some sort of form that is usable for seidou.

Hi RoKrish, great to see so many of you made the quick transfer. Let us have a good time discussing here as well.

Yeah, Saito's condition is the last thing I want to see happen to Sawamura. Good thing that Seidou runs on a pitcher relay. That relief a lot of the work load on the pitchers and help them maintain their form for their Professional career, which I think Terajima would love to write if he could but that's still too far ahead at this point
Jan 11, 2018 8:15 AM

Sep 2010
Heya again guys!! ^ ^ bookmarked this thread!!our DnA new home ^ ^
Jan 11, 2018 12:54 PM

Jan 2018
GDV said:
@Travee_Wavvee

Oh trust me, I know. Just wonder if Terajima's actually going to throw away a koshien level team for the sake of Furuya hype.
Travee_WavveeJan 11, 2018 3:07 PM
Jan 11, 2018 3:16 PM
Aug 2017
Thanks godamfireV for setting up our new home base! (again)

hope TDX and the others will come, too!
already spotted some familiar user names ^^

I really enjoy following your discussions :)
(for me it's still kinda hard to participate despite following the manga for years, because I lack the knowledge compared to you guys... Baseball isn't common at all where I live)

hopefully, we get to stay here for good this time - still bummed about Batoto T.T

Jan 11, 2018 5:13 PM
Jan 2018
Travee_Wavvee said:
GDV said:
@Travee_Wavvee

Oh trust me, I know. Just wonder if hes Terajima's actually going to throw away a koshien level team for the sake of Furuya hype.

I don't see him pitching more than 2 times through the line up (6th inning at most). You don't mess around with injuries to your back. I don't care who the pitcher is, back injuries are dangerous and put even the best pitchers like the real life Clayton Kershaw out of commission for weeks at a time. He suffered a relatively minor one and was out for nearly a month and a half. Furuya didn't have that but he was out for nearly 3 weeks. This is a rehab start for him, he should not be playing the whole game for his own sake. In any case if he goes longer than that, he's going to get shelled, and be absolutely destroyed by the other team. You can only confuse players with high fastballs a mediocre splitter and a bad slurve for so long. At some point they won't swing at low pitches, and thats when Furuya does a Furuya and walks batter after batter and gives up weak hits and lets the other team rally, loses his composure and gets hammered by the other team on the scoreboard. Unless literally everything goes his way he is going to struggle against the top tier of Koshien Teams.

GDV said:
RoKrish said:
Hey @GDV!

... saito threw 941 and Tanaka threw 742 in their second year). I would like him to come back to some sort of form that is usable for seidou.

Hi RoKrish, great to see so many of you made the quick transfer. Let us have a good time discussing here as well.

Yeah, Saito's condition is the last thing I want to see happen to Sawamura. Good thing that Seidou runs on a pitcher relay. That relief a lot of the work load on the pitchers and help them maintain their form for their Professional career, which I think Terajima would love to write if he could but that's still too far ahead at this point

I mean that relay is fundamentally messed up if Terajima decides to use the Furuya at Senbatsu mode on sawamura and have him pitch like Saito. I mean its (a.) not Sawamura's style since he isn't a fundamentally selfish player, trying to hog the game time for himself, like furuya, and (b.) sort of not how Sawamura operates, since he is okay fulfilling whatever role he has been tasked with. I mean even more recently than Saito many other young pitchers had to pitch ridiculous numbers of pitches to take their team to the top of Japan. You'd think that coaches would figure out that its not safe for young players to pitch that much at their age especially for their future careers.

Norana said:

(for me it's still kinda hard to participate despite following the manga for years, because I lack the knowledge compared to you guys... Baseball isn't common at all where I live)

hopefully, we get to stay here for good this time - still bummed about Batoto T.T

Thats fine, baseball is kind of rarely played outside of Japan, North America, and the Caribbean. Its not exactly easy to pick up the game and learn about it without being able to watch or play it, but there are resources all around the internet if you would like to learn more about it as well. I know that a lot of fans of DnA don't know all that much about the game since it is not that well known outside of those areas (except in the netherlands because of people from the Dutch Caribbean so even there not really well known), in fact someone posted about it on the subreddit recently. That said if you want to learn more about it feel free to post any questions you have about it (please do keep it in a spoiler tag since it may be a bit off topic), I for one, wouldn't mind helping you out if you need any help with understanding some of the more nuts and bolts stuff.
If you would like learn some more about the sport outside of DnA, and its fine if you don't want to, theres not that much more to it than what is in manga and anime, there are a lot of resources to help you get into it. (since its a bit off topic I will wrap the places I think are good resources in a spoiler tag)

In any case, you shouldn't feel intimidated by the fact that we know a bit more about the sport, speaking for myself here, just because I know a bit more about baseball, does not invalidate your opinions about DnA, or about baseball. Feel free to post freely and talk about whatever you would like to! Its not a baseball forum, but one for DnA, all thats required to post here is that you have to enjoy DnA, and that you want to discuss it. Not knowing all that much about baseball is not detrimental, its just that learning about baseball, for me at least, has made DnA way more interesting, being both excruciatingly painful, back in act I when Terajima didn't know enough about baseball when he was writing, and way more enjoyable now that he knows more about his subject matter and has made Sawamura into a pitcher who meets his statistical background.

Sorry for the wall of text. I hope you don't get intimidated by it.
Jan 11, 2018 6:24 PM

May 2013
Norana said:

If I'm not wrong, @CG is TDX so she(?) is already there.

----

I hope we'll see the match of Seidou soon. And I would like have this Miyuki-Mei battery. Let Miyuki comeback with some good things to Seidou~
Jan 12, 2018 7:52 AM
Jan 2018
is that there will be a chapter this week?
Jan 12, 2018 9:16 AM
Jan 2018
Ohhhh a new forum... Thanks GDV!
Jan 12, 2018 12:20 PM

Aug 2015
MAL Forum's are pretty good, so this will be a nice place, and it won't get shut down, atleast not for a long ass time.
Jan 12, 2018 2:22 PM
Jan 2018
Euclide3 said:
is that there will be a chapter this week?

We will probably get a raw at some point on Monday or Tuesday. at which point @GDV normally gives us a rough translation.
Jan 12, 2018 11:22 PM
Dec 2015
Wahh, I can finally participate lol I am a lurker since MF days and haven't been in batoto lately because the story has been boring (sorry not sorry) but why has bato shut down too? Anyway, glad to have it in MAL
Jan 13, 2018 12:55 AM

Sep 2012
there goes my little to no use batoto account lol, gonna keep on lurking over here.
Jan 13, 2018 4:43 AM

Jan 2018
WaitingDB5K said:

----

I hope we'll see the match of Seidou soon. And I would like have this Miyuki-Mei battery. Let Miyuki comeback with some good things to Seidou~

Yeah, I suspect that's him too.

Miyuki will get the best seat to see Mei's pitches now that Inui is injured. As the rep team's coach, Kunitomo would be responsible for all these "talented" players he "borrowed" from the other schools so he realistically he wouldn't risk even one chance of letting Inui playing with an injury. So Miyuki x Mei battery is probably 100% confirmed baring a wacky development like making Tadano fills in for Inui instead of Miyuki.

Last time we got the spoilers on Sunday but that was a lucky get on New Year, we don't know if we can expect the spoiler to arrive tomorrow, just a heads up for everyone to be aware of.
Jan 13, 2018 7:59 PM
Jan 2018
WaitingDB5K said:
Norana said:

----

If we ever get to see a Mei Miyuki Battery, it would be now. getting hit in the head, regardless of having a helmet on, hurts and if the second best coach in universe (Kunitomo, I think that Nitta is the best but Kunitomo is a good #2) doesn't pull Inui as a precaution against Concussion it sets a pretty bad example for how Japan plays baseball. Even so, Mei is probably going to shake off the sign for the Circle Change, and focus on pitching fastball, curveball, and slider. He is only going to face each batter 1 time so only having 3 pitches should be fine. Miyuki won't be able to get all that much data on the killer pitch in his repertoire.
Jan 13, 2018 9:40 PM

Jan 2011
Roy_28 said:

Well, there's crunchyroll just in case.
Jan 13, 2018 11:28 PM
Jan 2018
@gdv:
Real life baseball stuff below be warned.
Jan 14, 2018 2:02 AM
Apr 2016
how to subscribe this topic?
Jan 14, 2018 3:45 AM

Aug 2015
RoKrish said:
@gdv:
Real life baseball stuff below be warned.
Jan 14, 2018 3:49 AM

Aug 2015
why_you said:
how to subscribe this topic?
At the top of the page click on "Toggle Watching"
Jan 14, 2018 9:14 AM

Nov 2009
raws of chapter 108

Aaaand, finally the event that makes this whole arc of Japan vs the USA worthwhile - the Mei-Miyuki battery. Shirakawa's reaction especially delivers: "If he gets hit, it's your fault. If we lose the game, it's your fault. Everything is your fault, period." At the same time, I'm kinda worried what he thought to himself how just in case they designed a plan in preparation to this kind of situation and that they're not going to let Miyuki have info on them for free. Sounds like a trap for Miyuki...

Yamamori are happy out of their boots to play Furuya, overjoying that it was worth going all the way to Tokyo to get an upclose look at him. And now I want Seidou to play Yamamori at Koushien - only with Sawamura as the ace! The look on their faces when they realize that their joy was oh so premature and that all the painstakingly collected info on Furuya is useless in face of Sawamura who'd mow them down like nobody's business would be hilarious~~
ったく、嫌な世の中だよ。
Jan 14, 2018 11:51 AM
Jul 2018
Finally things are mooving a bit! Thanks for the spoilers and glad that we have another forum to talk about daya no ace and thanks to GDV. I was formerly @Sawamura no ace on batoto. Can't wait for translation.
Jan 14, 2018 12:29 PM

Jan 2018
Worried about the way Furuya is dominating and keeping his pitches low and controlled. If he plays great everyone will say the ace is back. Hopefully Kataoka will think logically and still make Sawamura the ace. To be honest I think Sawamura will be made the ace because it will be miyukis last summer and although the main character is Sawamura who knows if the story will continue once Miyuki is done with the team. So this is the last chance for Sawamura to be made ace. Especially since they probably wouldn’t change ace numbers again for the fall or their 3rd summer. It has to be now, and I think he will get it.
Jan 14, 2018 12:36 PM

Jan 2018
Also anyone know why my profile picture isn’t showing when I comment?
Jan 14, 2018 2:31 PM
Jun 2013
If i didnt visit batoto i would have not known about the transfer. Fortunately, i still remember my password in MAL.DnA's current arc is quite boring so I'll just keep visiting for updates. Thanks for the updates!
Jan 14, 2018 2:45 PM

Feb 2016
CG said:
raws of chapter 108

Aaaand, finally the event that makes this whole arc of Japan vs the USA worthwhile - the Mei-Miyuki battery. Shirakawa's reaction especially delivers: "If he gets hit, it's your fault. If we lose the game, it's your fault. Everything is your fault, period." At the same time, I'm kinda worried what he thought to himself how just in case they designed a plan in preparation to this kind of situation and that they're not going to let Miyuki have info on them for free. Sounds like a trap for Miyuki...

Thanks for the spoilers!!
I agree, the silver lining to this whole arc is definitely Mei-Miyuki battery...
Mei seems too overconfident or not at all worried about Miyuki being able to get info on him - whether it's because they plan to hide some of his pitches; or he is at such a beast level that even if they know his pitches, it's not gonna help Seidou...
Though, if Mei hides his pitches against the op US-team, the game would be kinda pitiful...

I don't even want to read the whole great-Furuya comments - they are just too repetitive...
Really want this US-JP arc to finish and the story to move forward...

Gundens said:

I think you need to add an avatar in the forum settings for the userpic to appear...
lost1gryffJan 14, 2018 3:23 PM
Jan 14, 2018 3:37 PM
Jan 2018
CG said:
raws of chapter 108

Yamamori are happy out of their boots to play Furuya, overjoying that it was worth going all the way to Tokyo to get an upclose look at him. And now I want Seidou to play Yamamori at Koushien - only with Sawamura as the ace! The look on their faces when they realize that their joy was oh so premature and that all the painstakingly collected info on Furuya is useless in face of Sawamura who'd mow them down like nobody's business would be hilarious~~

Thanks for the raw of the chapter! It looks like things are moving along.

Gundens said:
Worried about the way Furuya is dominating and keeping his pitches low and controlled. If he plays great everyone will say the ace is back. Hopefully Kataoka will think logically and still make Sawamura the ace. To be honest I think Sawamura will be made the ace because it will be miyukis last summer and although the main character is Sawamura who knows if the story will continue once Miyuki is done with the team. So this is the last chance for Sawamura to be made ace. Especially since they probably wouldn’t change ace numbers again for the fall or their 3rd summer. It has to be now, and I think he will get it.

From what I saw it looks like Furuya is getting distracted by the fact that Sawamura has been having results, and its looking like that is going to affect him. Hopefully he doesn't drag the team down with him any further. I also don't get the fascination that even people who ought to be knowledgeable about baseball, like coaches at top high school teams, see 153 kph on the gun and think that this guy is a stud, and that he is going to win every game he pitches. He is controlling the ball, for now, but the moment he loses his focus, thats it, he can't get back into gear in time to salvage a game. I agree that this is the last shot sawamura has for retaking the number that is rightfully his, and if the coaching staff has even half a brain, you go with the guy who has been on fire for the past half a year, over the guy who blows hot and cold at random, and has been struggling to get results recently. Those other teams coaches are in for a shock though, once our beloved southpaw gets on the bump and dominates them for nine innings. they will probably rethink their reaction to Furuya's pitching saying something like, "wow that guy can throw really hard, but the other guy is throwing untouchable stuff. We really ought to be scared of this guy." but knowing Terajima, it will be something like "Well yeah that guy shut us out over nine innings, and just annihilated our offense generally, but that guy throw a really hard fastball so he must be superior in every regard." You have got to love that power pitcher narrative he has created to justify Furuya's existence as a viable long-term ace. An ace ought to be able to put the ball where he wants to most of the time at least, not just spam heaters and hope. In reality, even the best power pitchers (Nolan Ryan, Sandy Koufax, Randy Johnson, Roger Clemens, etc.) had both good control, and a legendarily effective secondary pitch in their arsenal that made their heater scarier, Furuya doesn't even the control necessary to be in the argument for being a successful power pitcher nor does he have a dominating breaking or off-speed pitch as a secondary offering. That said if his control really is better, well he's halfway there, meanwhile his biggest rival is nearly all the way there with regards to being a successful finesse pitcher.
Jan 14, 2018 7:15 PM

Jan 2018
Chapter 108: Get it back

Opening note: Unequaled!! We are number one in the world!
Side note: Overcoming the emergency situation, Inui x Mei battery seal away the opponent line up. It's time for the counterattack.

Their chance of counterattack is limited to only 3 remaining innings, go take down the American's Ace.

Inajitsu's manager/doctor?: Just for a fleeting moment, his consciousness slipped away so I think he shouldn't push himself.
Inui: I'm okay, I'll do it. (It's a team that come in swinging hard, I did keep in mind not to get too close to the batter but unknowingly I moved closer and closer to the plate because I wanted to catch Mei's breaking pitch with certainty. Kengo Inui, thou still lacking!)
Audiences: Ah, it's 2 outs so quickly. Can they hit from that pitcher?

Kunitomo: Yamaoka, you take 1st base starting from this inning. I can't push the players I have been entrusted with (from other teams) at this point of time before Summer. I'll preserve Inui and let him rest.
Umemiya: Inui is switched out eh, so who would be the catcher? He didn't allow a catcher from the same prefecture to partner up with (their pitchers) before. [pretty thick eh Umemiya]
Kunitomo: Miyuki, can I count on you?

Kunitomo to Mei: I switched Inui out, in exchange, I'll have Miyuki handles the catching responsibility.
Shirawaka: It can't be helped, there aren't any other catcher.
Carlos: For real?
Shunshin: To catch for Narumiya means that he'll be able to learn everything from techniques to habits to even small information, giving that away to a catcher with sharp sense from a rival team should be something that they would like to avoid the most
Shirawaka: Well, we did expect something like this to happen so we have prepared a plan ourselves. We ain't going to give away information to a cunning guy like this for free. [oh snap!]
Mei: Kazuya, as it's came to this, there's nothing to hide, they're not the kind of opponent we can beat by just forming a battery and figure things out as we go, they have pretty dangerous bunch assembled there.
Miyuki: If that's so then don't you shake off my sign.
Mei: If your game calling doesn't worth shaking off then of course.
Miyuki: I won't let you shake it off!
Carlos: Well well, can you actually control our "King"?
Shirakawa: If he got hit, then it's your fault. If we lose then it's your fault, it's all your fault alright?
Yamaoka: We'll get the points, you devote yourself to game calling.
Miyuki: ...
Mei: Kazuya, since you're a catcher, better make me shine.
Miyuki: ...you little. Just how much condescending can you guys be.
Inui: Narumiya, my bad.
Umemiya: Alright, the contest starts now. Let's defend well and connect to our attack.

--At Seidou's field--
Furuya strikes out a batter.
Players: So this is Furuya, Furuya Satoru of Seidou eh.
Yamamori coach: It has worth our time coming all the way to Tokyo.
Seihou coach: He pitches such incredible ball. Kunitomo-san would have his work cut out for him at this rate.
Ono: Your pitches are in the zone but you're still putting too much force into it. Let's relax your shoulder.
Okumura: He obviously overstraining like crazy. It's because you said such a thing to him...
Sawamura: ...No, though it frustrates me but he's able to get strike out even in that kind of state.

Zono, Mochi, Haruichi, Kane does the usual cheering stuffs.

Furuya recalls Sawamura telling him to not get tensed and self-destruct on the team and Ono telling him he shouldn't play one-man baseball.

Furuya: I understand, the me right now can't shoulder the No. 1...I'll try to get it back once more.

End note: Once you make your decision, there's no going back. Snatch the place you belong with your own hands.
GDVJan 14, 2018 11:57 PM
Jan 14, 2018 7:24 PM

Jan 2018
Gundens said:

CG said:
At the same time, I'm kinda worried what he thought to himself how just in case they designed a plan in preparation to this kind of situation and that they're not going to let Miyuki have info on them for free. Sounds like a trap for Miyuki...

Yup, Shirakawa made it sounds like they may be willing to try something to mess up Miyuki's information, as expected from Kunitomo. However, it's doubtful whether that would work because the players are getting fired up and playing seriously, it's difficult to "hold back" or make deception when they're going all out like this but let's see.

And yeah, the look on ALL of their face when they sees Sawamura wears that No. 1 and their information on Furuya goes out of the window because Sawamura will starts and pitch a full game will be priceless.

@Rokrish
Jan 14, 2018 9:40 PM
Jan 2018
@gdv:
Thanks for the translation. This chapter sounds pretty good.
That said it looks like Sawamura only gets told off again. Seriously Okamura, its Sawamura's fault that Furuya is tensed up? Not the fact that Sawamura is so obviously better at this point that Furuya is panicking? I mean sure in a very disparate sense of the word Sawamura's to blame because he got better than furuya. The guy can't catch a break from his team mates, what does he need to do no hit a team, have a 20 K game, have a no hitter in which he goes 4-4 with 4 HR's with 20K's? What exactly is the bar for him to get over? I mean its obvious that Furuya's bar is literally an inch off the ground in comparison, so seidou needs to either get reasonable bars, or accept the fact that right now, and for the conceivable future, Sawamura is the better pitcher. The way the things are right now, Sawamura is seen in his own team as being "lucky", so it won't matter what other teams see him as unfortunately. Side note, whats wrong about having luck on your side, if you have the talent to help you out when you are down on your luck. Mei would have lost last summer in the finals, if it was not for some very, very, lucky plays made by his defense especially Carlos who robbed two homers away from Masuko. On the other hand Furuya is actually *gasp* growing as a player and a person realizing that he is not currently capable of holding the Ace Number, I think this is the penultimate step to Sawamura holding the Ace Number, there are only two more people to convince regarding the Ace Number, Miyuki and Kataoka.

Also @gdv and @salva252:
Jan 15, 2018 12:37 AM

Nov 2009
GDV said:
Yup, Shirakawa made it sounds like they may be willing to try something to mess up Miyuki's information, as expected from Kunitomo. However, it's doubtful whether that would work because the players are getting fired up and playing seriously, it's difficult to "hold back" or make deception when they're going all out like this but let's see.
Yeah, if Inajitsu doesn't want to turn this whole international game into a farce because of their fear of local rival team players, Mei has no choice but to pitch for real, so it's unavoidable. From how Shirakawa made it sound, it looks like their plan implies something of a more or less equivalent exchange, that is, it's probably not so much about throwing Miyuki off about Mei's pitches, as it is about making Miyuki reveal all they can about his way of assessing opponents and game calling. After all, we've already seen that Miyuki's particular way of pitch calling is not invincible and can be used against him (when Hakuryuu, knowing about his aggressiveness in a tight spot, successfully predicted he will ask an inside pitch). Dangerously enough, Mei and Sawamura are similar enough in their grit and drive to attack (was noted all the way back in the Seidou vs Inajitsu final) that what Miyuki might ask of Sawamura in a particular situation or against a certain type of batter can be extrapolited from how Miyuki went about it in Mei's case. Thus, Mei's pitches exposed to Miyuki can be negated somewhat by Miyuki's ways of thinking and acting in certain situations being exposed to Inajitsu. Also, I won't be surprised if Itsuki is on the bleachers somewhere, being jelly and learning with all his might all at the same time.

Also, Miyuki's weaknesses as a catcher being unexpectedly found out and exploited opens wide a door for the first year catchers to come in and negate them in the Inajitsu battle. I don't want it though, I don't find the first years interesting or worthy enough for that, so to me it will be a letdown, if that happens.
ったく、嫌な世の中だよ。
Jan 15, 2018 5:14 AM
Jan 2018
CG said:
Also, Miyuki's weaknesses as a catcher being unexpectedly found out and exploited opens wide a door for the first year catchers to come in and negate them in the Inajitsu battle. I don't want it though, I don't find the first years interesting or worthy enough for that, so to me it will be a letdown, if that happens.

Eeppphh, yes!!! I don't want it!!
I want to see MiyuSawa battery against Inajutsu, to show off how great their battery is. And to show people there is another great lefty pitcher who can draw out Miyuki's talent as a catcher.

Well, I bet, when Seidou against Inajutsu, Seidou will get the upper hand with Miyusawa battery, then Miyuki is like "Look Mei, I have an awesome team too, right"
He always proudly showing off Eijun's greatness =w=
Jan 15, 2018 6:02 AM
Jan 2018
After seeing the last couple of interactions and the little dialogue Okumura and Eijun went through this chapter, I am almost sure Okumura is gonna take his seat in the 1st-years-Eijun-fanboys-club. This shows leadership, presence, and influence. Not sure if they give him captainship in order to make sure not having lots of stuff on his plate, but I think he deserves it more and more each day goes by. Perhaps, Eijun will make it sure that it's a clearcut choice...
Jan 15, 2018 7:18 AM

Jan 2018
CG said:
Yeah, if Inajitsu doesn't want to turn this whole international game into a farce because of their fear of local rival team players, Mei has no choice but to pitch for real, so it's unavoidable. From how Shirakawa made it sound, it looks like their plan implies something of a more or less equivalent exchange, that is, it's probably not so much about throwing Miyuki off about Mei's pitches, as it is about making Miyuki reveal all they can about his way of assessing opponents and game calling. ...

That's a nice angle of looking at it. If they were willing to give Mei's information to Miyuki, the least thing they can do is to extract as much information about Miyuki himself for their own us as they can. Miyuki may knows Mei's pitches but in exchange, he'll be showing his signs, his game calling tendencies to a bunch of Inajitsu players and their coach as well. That'd be an "equal exchange" in this case. Mei himself did make it sounds like he's not going to hold back anything after all; however, that sentence itself may be the bait for Miyuki to go all out and giving away his information as well. If this is the case, well played Inajitsu.

It's always nice to watch Miyuki getting flustered because his game calling plan got read by the opponents. Both instances, in the Ichidaisan game where Amahisa read Miyuki's call for a fastball down the middle as well as Hakuryu's complete grip on Miyuki's tendency of being over-aggressive were great to see. I would even argue, these instances are still few and far between and that we need more of this, to show that even a genius catcher of Miyuki's calibre would have limits to his ability as well at the higher level stage and that the competition is heating up. Plus, it's also an indication that it's time for the pitchers to step up their independence and start giving inputs into the game strategy. This'll fit nicely with Sawamura's recent initiatives of expanding his knowledge on the "art of the game" and game calling.

Nevertheless, I doubt the 1st year catchers will have ANY chance to appear in the Final against Inajitsu even if Seidou may be aware that their opponent has a hand to play against Miyuki because Seidou will need both the game calling and the offensive power from Miyuki in the Final right from the start and none of the first year catchers would be up to this challenge yet this Summer. They may get to play in the early rounds but in the Final with the Koshien ticket on the line, they'll have to be bench warmers.
GDVJan 15, 2018 7:33 AM
Jan 15, 2018 10:13 AM

Jan 2018
Gundens said:
Worried about the way Furuya is dominating and keeping his pitches low and controlled. If he plays great everyone will say the ace is back.

Maybe i'm wrong, but from what i see, (3 pitches,
first one is un High and barely inside
Second one is outside, but not low i'd say middle
thid one like the first)
So i don't see any news about his control
Jan 15, 2018 2:31 PM
Oct 2014
About miyuki calling against Amahisa, he asked for a low fastball, not a high one or a fastball right down the middle.
So the idea of pitching a fastball was maybe right, but we can't know cause furuya messed up his control
Jan 15, 2018 5:10 PM
Jan 2018
GDV said:
CG said:
Yeah, if Inajitsu doesn't want to turn this whole international game into a farce because of their fear of local rival team players, Mei has no choice but to pitch for real, so it's unavoidable. From how Shirakawa made it sound, it looks like their plan implies something of a more or less equivalent exchange, that is, it's probably not so much about throwing Miyuki off about Mei's pitches, as it is about making Miyuki reveal all they can about his way of assessing opponents and game calling. ...

That's a nice angle of looking at it. If they were willing to give Mei's information to Miyuki, the least thing they can do is to extract as much information about Miyuki himself for their own us as they can. Miyuki may knows Mei's pitches but in exchange, he'll be showing his signs, his game calling tendencies to a bunch of Inajitsu players and their coach as well. That'd be an "equal exchange" in this case. Mei himself did make it sounds like he's not going to hold back anything after all; however, that sentence itself may be the bait for Miyuki to go all out and giving away his information as well. If this is the case, well played Inajitsu.

It's always nice to watch Miyuki getting flustered because his game calling plan got read by the opponents. Both instances, in the Ichidaisan game where Amahisa read Miyuki's call for a fastball down the middle as well as Hakuryu's complete grip on Miyuki's tendency of being over-aggressive were great to see. I would even argue, these instances are still few and far between and that we need more of this, to show that even a genius catcher of Miyuki's calibre would have limits to his ability as well at the higher level stage and that the competition is heating up. Plus, it's also an indication that it's time for the pitchers to step up their independence and start giving inputs into the game strategy. This'll fit nicely with Sawamura's recent initiatives of expanding his knowledge on the "art of the game" and game calling.

Nevertheless, I doubt the 1st year catchers will have ANY chance to appear in the Final against Inajitsu even if Seidou may be aware that their opponent has a hand to play against Miyuki because Seidou will need both the game calling and the offensive power from Miyuki in the Final right from the start and none of the first year catchers would be up to this challenge yet this Summer. They may get to play in the early rounds but in the Final with the Koshien ticket on the line, they'll have to be bench warmers.

I actually think that he over calls the fastball and uses it too much on the inside half of the plate. Its a high risk - high reward strategy, when it works it leaves the batter looking like an idiot, but when it doesn't you run the risk of hitters going yard, or at least smacking the ball deep. This happened twice to sawamura, once in the seiko game, and again versus Raichi who was sitting fastball in the fall finals. I mean it has worked in the past for him versus Mei, and for the final K in Sawamura's immaculate inning (actually that was a fastball up and away). The (statistically speaking) best way to use a fastball is to keep it low and away, like Tadano asks for it, the second best thing is to throw it once high and then pitch everything else offspeed and/or moving (in or out it doesn't matter) and low, the third best option is to finish off a batter with a high fastball after getting ahead in the count. Real life pitcher and potential GOAT pitcher Clayton Kershaw is a master of all of these techniques, but he never does the same thing twice to the same batter. Miyuki keeps calling fastball up and an in as if it is a panacea, "you're down in the count, heater up and in. You're ahead, heater up and in. You're even, heater up and in", which he should never do. I personally think that this Miyuki's greatest character flaw, he is so wrapped up in his ideal game calling, that he never looks at the situation in its entirety and considers what his teammates want to do. Sawamura has only shook him off once, I don't think Furuya has ever done so, and Nori rarely does so. I mean the guy just told Mei, who in my opinion is the #1 pitcher in Japan, that he should only listen to what he said. If thats not arrogance, I don't know what is. He even told Sawamura back in chapter 63 (the more experienced player at their level) off for shaking off yui too much when Yui was catching, something that is completely normal for a pitcher to do when paired with a new battery mate (Sawamura is surprised by this as would any other pitcher). To me that is his major character flaw, that he thinks it is on him to win games for Seidou, not that there is anything necessarily bad about that, a lot of successful athletes have a similar mindset (michael jordan for example or Nolan Ryan), but as long as they have the talent to back that up, they are fine.

That said, The only way I see any of the first years on this squad playing in any of the games after the first few rounds, is as a PH. They are still defensive liabilities, or they have big time road blocks on their chance to progress as players.

@ADellaLuna:
The first Fastball was up and in, the next was at the batters knees (its just terajima drawing things weirdly again), the last one was middle-in. More importantly to see if Furuya is messing up with his control you would see Ono moving his glove a lot, and catching the ball somewhat unnaturally (i.e. holding the mitt with the pocket facing up, or reaching out to catch the ball). He is, right now, effectively wild, he misses his spots, but hes going to the right area (down away, down in, up in) sort of like sawamura did last summer.
Jan 15, 2018 7:04 PM

Jan 2018
elsa16 said:
About miyuki calling against Amahisa, he asked for a low fastball, not a high one or a fastball right down the middle.
So the idea of pitching a fastball was maybe right, but we can't know cause furuya messed up his control

I'm pretty sure he asked for a fastball and thought that the "course wouldn't matter as long as he can make it low enough". The idea of using a fastball was completely read by Amahisa, Furuya screwing up the course was the additional nail in the coffin.

@Rokrish

You're right. The out-low fastball is the best course to use a fastball, of course followed by a fastball high and in but to those without acute command, a fastball high and in is always easier to pitch because they usually have trouble keeping their fastball low. Plus, the mindset of a flame thrower when they pitches a high-in fastball is to pitch as hard as possible, which in some case worsen their situation since not all batters will swing at those stuffs. The reason Kershaw is so good is not just because he master the art of going in-out and high-low, even when he's down in the count or at full count, he'll often feed the batter an inside Curveball and analysts have all said that the spin he put on that Curveball is so similar to a 4-seamer that batters can't distinguish between them, even if they expect it, their body would react on their own to dodge the ball afraid of the pitch hitting their face, only for the Curveball to bend back into the plate for a K.

Nevertheless, it's sort of understandable why Miyuki would always fall back to "fastball high-in" for Furuya since the kid can't control his pitch to save his life. What else can Miyuki do really? What catchers hate the most is when they ask for a low fastball outside but then they'll have to reach back to catch a wild high pitch, when a pitcher misses the mark that long, the catcher usually would just not care about the course altogether. They'd be like "If you're that bad, I'll compensate and ask for easy stuffs but if you got hit, it's your own doing". Which was what Miyuki was sort of forced to do against Ichidaisan because the kid couldn't land his breaking pitch inside the zone, his fastball didn't help him get up in the count either so he's also missing the fastball.

@ADellaLuna & Rokrish

-The first pitch looks to be barely in the zone so that's not bad, usually, he would miss way higher than that. It's still quite in the middle though so it's a high middle fastball, not high-in.
-The second pitch was Ball, it was wide but the batter swung on it so that's on him. Regardless it's in still in the middle as far as height goes (I'm not making the zone bigger by mistake but it was because it's a closer shot at the batter so the zone needed to be scaled up a bit for accuracy)
-The third pitch to me seems like the usual "down the middle meatball".

Aside from the last pitch, it's half-way decent considering Furuya's pitch control standards. He's still a middle-upper zone type of pitcher though. Although for a team of Koshien caliber to swing at 3 pitches in a row and even then misses the last pitch down the middle is pretty disappointing to say the least. Yamamori better step it up now otherwise they're not worthy of the Koshien hype given to them. Right now Seihou to me looks like the team with more credits to their name.

Also
GDVApr 24, 2018 12:04 AM
Pages (32) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Will Terajima-sensei continue this manga?

Petrarca25 - Feb 2

4 by EmiPyon »»
Feb 10, 7:55 AM

Poll: » Diamond no Ace Act II Chapter 309 Discussion

MegamiRem - Oct 14, 2023

7 by sam_rg »»
Oct 14, 2023 12:19 PM

Poll: » Diamond no Ace Act II Chapter 308 Discussion

Lylaaz - Oct 29, 2022

10 by Ranxomare »»
Oct 14, 2023 11:12 AM

Poll: » Diamond no Ace Act II Chapter 307 Discussion

MegamiRem - Oct 22, 2022

7 by Ranxomare »»
Oct 14, 2023 11:08 AM

Poll: » Diamond no Ace Act II Chapter 306 Discussion

G_Spark233 - Oct 18, 2022

9 by Ranxomare »»
Oct 14, 2023 11:05 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.