Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »
Jan 6, 2018 4:05 PM
Jan 2018
Im glad that studio Deen done it so well. I'm expecting this because they adapt Higurashi very well too.

Souichi's Curse is a comedic horror and they have delivered it. The hellish doll is very creepy but unfornately the manga is short. Hype for next Episode
Jan 6, 2018 4:50 PM

Jan 2017
Finally we have some good adaptation of Junji Ito's works. (Gyo wasn't) Just seeing the first episode makes me think that is going to be a great show. It looks like we will have Souichi's story as the main plot. Then in each episode there would be some of those fantastic short stories of Ito's.
I really want to see some pieces to be animated in the show, the Hanging Balloons or the story of the principal post. But first the enigma of Amigara fault, that's a good one.
Karasuno Fight!!!
Jan 6, 2018 5:08 PM

Jul 2015
Yup... don't know what made me think watching this stuff in the middle of the night in an enclosed space by myself would be a good idea... Wait what? WHERES THE SCARY PART? That was just mildly uncomfortable... and kind of entertaining... and why did the sister's name have to be Sayuri, that just brings up bad memories and OMG WHAT THE HELL IS THAT DOLL THING... Yeah... that's what I was expecting. I like the opening.
A Wild and Small Otaku has Appeared!
Jan 6, 2018 8:04 PM

Feb 2016
lady_freyja said:
Wow, it's even worse than his manga. His manga are already so bad that's it's a miracle (!) to be able to do worse, well, kind of.

I have to defend this anime since at least made me laugh (a lot), while his manga only makes me yawn. I'm seriously pondering if the comic atmosphere was done on purpose, cause god....
Jan 6, 2018 9:40 PM

Jul 2013
Didn't had that much of the horror feeling, Ito is so well talked and praised, I was expecting a lot more and what I saw was kind childish. At first the guy's tricks seems dangerous but then nothing really happened, was just a hurtful rib in the end.

I never read any manga of Ito so I don't know if the adaptation isn't good or something. Also I didn't get the last part with the human doll, didn't receive any kind of information and then there's a deformed human doll on my screen, is it gonna be explained next episode or what?
I . A M . D E A D !  C O N T I N U E ?

INSERT COIN

Jan 6, 2018 11:48 PM

May 2014
Personally, I like the episode. I can see why people would be disappointed, confused or feel ripped off rearing people constantly praise Ito and his horror collect. More so the expectation versus perception type deal. I will say that this was an interesting first episode to start off with and to those who will stick with this one who likes horror in general or can appreciate just amazingly disturbing and mesmerizing designs, then definitely 100% stick with it. They definitely got his artwork down, now it is more so execution.
Jan 6, 2018 11:50 PM

May 2014
DrPlonker said:
Damn I forgot how funny Ito can be sometimes. Great first ep tho, Souichi best boy

He is indeed best boy haha
Jan 7, 2018 1:59 AM

May 2009
Ranxomare said:
It is just a few different tales of the same author!!!

Exactly what was announced. Did you expect something else?
Jan 7, 2018 2:07 AM

Sep 2017
I liked it, albeit strange for a first episode of a toted horror anime. That last story's of the doll child was pretty neat. Excited to see more!
Jan 7, 2018 2:35 AM

Apr 2017
What a creepy Souichi I want to know how did he learn the curses, also I cannot wait for the creepy episode of balloon heads
https://goo.gl/KgzKk5
Jan 7, 2018 4:17 AM

Sep 2014
MAH BOI SOUICHI I was waiting so much to see you! You're precious. Even though they don't undersand you, I will love you.
The toad did nothing wrong, though. RIP, the toad.

It was quite risky for Deen to choose these chapters for an opening episode, as they are lighter and more humorous than scary. On the other hand, it is also an introduction to Ito's world - both horrifying and at times horrifyingly funny.

I really like how the art style was transferred to the anime, the grim feeling you get from the characters is well preserved.

Looking forward to the adaptations of Tomie and Shibito no Koiwazurai. I'm also curious what short stories will be animated.
Jan 7, 2018 7:47 AM
Sep 2010
Well... this was more funny than scary imo. I don’t know this guy’s work so I don’t know what to expect but I’m not really into this show for now...
Jan 7, 2018 7:48 AM

May 2013
Very disappointed with the first episode. I've been a big fan for a long time and it's strange to me that this is what they chose to start the series with. I assume it's just because Souchi is recognisable to people, and I assume it's why there'll probably be lots of Tomie stuff as well. I'm not excited - Ito's stuff is best when it's inhuman and grotesque, not light hearted and silly. They should have saved this for an OVA or bonus episode or something. Or like, short joke parts at the end of episodes. Souichi's voice actor is horrendous, painful to listen to.
Jan 7, 2018 8:01 AM

Jul 2013
I'm not super familiar with junji ito's work outside of the stuff TerryTV reads, so I don't know what his works are like usually.

For me, this episode was kinda meh. It was sort of eerie but I laughed more than I felt creeped out. The thing with the spider creeped me out but it was immediately dispersed due to the funny scene of Souichi being chased in the hall

I like how they adapted the dark shadow with long legs Souichi thing though, that kind of figure is pretty creepy and showed up in a few other Junji ito works I've seen (Amagara? Fault for example)

The doll was pretty grotesque. Body horror yes.

I think a lot of people came in expecting death and gore and were disappointed. I'll wait and see what other stories they'll adapt though...
Jan 7, 2018 10:34 AM

Aug 2014
Definitely a fun first episode. I appreciate the fact that they used Souichi for the first episode as his story is pretty tame compared to most of Junji's work. It helps newcomers to his works ease into his style a bit easier than just blasting the viewer with horrific content in the first episode.

With that being said, I'm really excited for what is to come. The doll bit at the end has me looking forward to what Studio Deen can do with his works. I hope that they stay consistent.

Jan 7, 2018 12:13 PM

Aug 2009
AnimEva said:
holiday498 said:
I think that a lot of disappointed people are newcomers who heard the greatest praises about junji ito and how he is the best thing that horror genre has to offer, and this is their first impression. I'm one of those people and this ep was kind of a let down for me.

Then just read some his iconic manga works dude, problem solved. As respectable as this adaption seems to be, absorbing his works in manga form is still the peak way to experience his stories. I wouldn't bother watching this series if you haven't first read a decent amount of his stories, but that's just me.

Also the fool who said Uzumaki is Ito's worst work: GFTO it's a damn masterpiece.

Uzumaki might not be Ito's worst work, but it's nowhere near his best stories.
In fact, many oneshots far surpass it.
Jan 7, 2018 1:07 PM

Aug 2013
The first episode was alright (or more like the first story). The second story was short but interesting. I love Ito so I can only hope they adapt some of the scarier stories instead of the more funnier.
Jan 7, 2018 1:46 PM

Jun 2013
i don't know what to think about this
Jan 7, 2018 3:52 PM
Jan 2016
Watching with headphones in, I jumped out of my seat a bit when Souchi got the hatchet thrown at him! I've only read parts of Ito's manga stories but never from this one. All in all it wasn't that scary but I can see the setup for bigger scares to come so I'm happy with this as a first episode.
Jan 7, 2018 3:53 PM

Feb 2015
lady_freyja said:
Wow, it's even worse than his manga. His manga are already so bad that's it's a miracle (!) to be able to do worse, well, kind of.

Man get outta here with that trash and so obviously inflammatory contrarian bullshit.

soymilkyy said:
they really should be adapting stories that are actually horror, not comedy. i'll keep watching because it's junji ito, but i'm not here for a generic modern anime with quirky xD stuff in it

How is it "generic modern anime with quirky xD stuff in it" when it's still adapting an Ito story? While this was indeed a weird one to kick the show off with, implying that the adaption should avoid doing Ito's great lighter tales doesn't makes sense to me.
JoshimatsooJan 7, 2018 5:49 PM
Jan 7, 2018 4:04 PM

Feb 2015
Mike_McFly said:

Semantics, not fact. Thanks for the chuckle though. I personally think it's easily one of his greatest works, and many others would agree. We all have different favorites when it come and to an author like Ito but no way in hell is that in the bottom tier.
Jan 7, 2018 5:29 PM

Aug 2009
AnimEva said:
Mike_McFly said:

Semantics, not fact. Thanks for the chuckle though. I personally think it's easily one of his greatest works, and many others would agree. We all have different favorites when it come and to an author like Ito but no way in hell is that in the bottom tier.

We can at least agree that it's not bottom tier.
Jan 7, 2018 8:52 PM
Jun 2017
when i look at what genre this show is, its a horror one but right after watching the first episode, im just laughing at it, especially the Curse story. souichiro sure is a weird person that likes to curse but he is a funny one... hahahah
Jan 7, 2018 9:40 PM

Aug 2013
EtoileSosso said:
That was... weird. Souichi's voice made him older than he was supposed to be but it's ok I guess.
Also that moment where he was meowing. xD

The meowing was my favorite part, LOL.
Jan 7, 2018 10:41 PM
Jul 2018
AnimEva said:
lady_freyja said:

Man get outta here with that trash and so obviously inflammatory contrarian bullshit.

I'm watching this anime with the "so bad it's good" mindset because his manga (Uzumaki, Hellstar Remina and Tomie for the ones I've read) are in my eyes ridiculous and silly. This first episode didn't disappoint me in that regard.

I can't express my opinion?
I don't forbid you to think that guy is a genius mangaka or whatever, nor I try to change your opinion. If I was playing the "inflammatory contrarian bullshit" act like you said I would have interacted with the people that are so enthusiast with Ito or this first episode. But I don't, I simply read them, find them puzzling because I don't see what they see, and pass to something else.
Jan 7, 2018 11:37 PM

Feb 2015
lady_freyja said:
I'm watching this anime with the "so bad it's good" mindset because his manga (Uzumaki, Hellstar Remina and Tomie for the ones I've read) are in my eyes ridiculous and silly. This first episode didn't disappoint me in that regard.

I can't express my opinion?
I don't forbid you to think that guy is a genius mangaka or whatever, nor I try to change your opinion. If I was playing the "inflammatory contrarian bullshit" act like you said I would have interacted with the people that are so enthusiast with Ito or this first episode. But I don't, I simply read them, find them puzzling because I don't see what they see, and pass to something else.

The manner in which you "voice your opinion" is so obviously meant to be provocative. Step down from your ivory tower, your intentions aren't pure so don't pull that card. Also, of course any abstract horror would seem silly if you're not the type to be able to suspend disbelief beyond comprehensible human concepts. "A spiral possessing a town? How stupid! They don't even explain it!" ...is what one would say if they were that jaded.
Jan 8, 2018 12:52 AM
Mar 2016
The first episode is funny rather than scary the phone call trap was hilarious.
Jan 8, 2018 6:27 AM

Jun 2008
When reading the manga, the Souichi chapters were fun but they could get a bit predictable and tedious. I honestly prefer the Toru Oshikiri stories when it comes to someone getting more than one chapter. Tomie are all right too but not my favourite. I hope they choose some really scary stories from Junji Ito, it seems in the OP/poster that we will be getting Slug Girl and Fashion Model which could turn out creepy!
Jan 8, 2018 7:45 AM

Oct 2013
This shit must be satire. Feels like I'm watching scary move, really hilarious I like it.
Jan 8, 2018 8:38 AM

Oct 2017
I thought it was great. I can't wait to see what other stories are adapted.
Jan 8, 2018 9:55 AM
Jul 2018
AnimEva said:
The manner in which you "voice your opinion" is so obviously meant to be provocative. Step down from your ivory tower, your intentions aren't pure so don't pull that card. Also, of course any abstract horror would seem silly if you're not the type to be able to suspend disbelief beyond comprehensible human concepts. "A spiral possessing a town? How stupid! They don't even explain it!" ...is what one would say if they were that jaded.

Why yes. Of course. That's the goal of the topic, to voice your opinion just after watching the episode, an immediate reaction. So I won't tone down, smooth what I think, that would be boring.
I don't like his works, so I'm acerbic about it.

And yup, one reason I don't like his work is specifically because I can't compute what is "scary" in it, since it's incomprehensible.
You just see absurd things happening just because. Why should I be scared, shocked or anything about that? It's just weird to see, not in the good way.

Which, in turn create a cognitive dissonance, because most of his works are pretty serious (not the case here, but I think the manga I've read are serious) while being absurd at the same time… it makes the things just silly to see.
There is also some similar dissonances in his art. Taking a realistic look to it but then uses Umezu's facial expressions. While Umezu's style is theatric, and thus for congruence it asks that the whole characters to be theatric ; in their postures, behaviors, facial expressions, way to speak, everything. That's not the case of Ito's works. It just create dissonances.

That's how I consider his works, they're dissonant. In comparison to other major horror mangaka I've read (Umezu, Suehiro Maruo…), he's the only one.
If you can compute what's happening in this "abstract horror" of him, then that's good for you I guess.
Jan 8, 2018 10:28 AM

Dec 2017
I was really disappointed. Could barely stay awake throughout this episode. The parts that were funny brought me straight back to the show but after that it was a struggle to keep my eyes open. I think they could've pushed the style so much further,I can totally see it's a junji Ito work, but they could've done more to make it creepier. For example, making a better use of the color palette. The main character wasn't interesting, his motives and actions were tedious to say the least.

I'll give her next episode a try, hopefully it will be better.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 8, 2018 12:35 PM

Feb 2015
lady_freyja said:
Why yes. Of course. That's the goal of the topic, to voice your opinion just after watching the episode, an immediate reaction. So I won't tone down, smooth what I think, that would be boring.
I don't like his works, so I'm acerbic about it.

That explains why most MAL forum comments are knee-jerk reactions lacking in any subtlety or nuance or depth, but I already knew that. Which I find to be pretty juvenile. The point is, think before you comment, the same applies to speaking in real life. Stating so bluntly that they're bad as if that was the common view to have is bound to result in controversy and I'm sure you knew that.

lady_freyja said:
And yup, one reason I don't like his work is specifically because I can't compute what is "scary" in it, since it's incomprehensible.
You just see absurd things happening just because. Why should I be scared, shocked or anything about that? It's just weird to see, not in the good way.

Which, in turn create a cognitive dissonance, because most of his works are pretty serious (not the case here, but I think the manga I've read are serious) while being absurd at the same time… it makes the things just silly to see.
There is also some similar dissonances in his art. Taking a realistic look to it but then uses Umezu's facial expressions. While Umezu's style is theatric, and thus for congruence it asks that the whole characters to be theatric ; in their postures, behaviors, facial expressions, way to speak, everything. That's not the case of Ito's works. It just create dissonances.

That's how I consider his works, they're dissonant. In comparison to other major horror mangaka I've read (Umezu, Suehiro Maruo…), he's the only one.
If you can compute what's happening in this "abstract horror" of him, then that's good for you I guess.

That's all completely intentional and the point of a lot of horror, which is why I find it confusing that you bring up Umezu, whose work is very similar in that regard. Especially the contrast of character/facial designs. That dissonance between the normal and semi-realistic designs to the inevitable body horror and surreal morphology is the precise goal. If you don't have a point of reference like that, there is no build up, no radical change in tone or tension. Additionally, the best horror is that which is left unexplained, because the truly scary stuff in the world is what can't be. Once you define what something is, it no longer remains to be scary. Also even a lot of his clear "horror" works I'd say still have an element of dark comedy to them, so that's intentional as well. It's clear that his work and style isn't for you, which is fine, but that doesn't make it awful by any means.
Jan 8, 2018 2:25 PM
Jul 2018
@AnimEva

I'll keep it short :
Not sure what you see that is similar between Umezu and Ito. Beside some obvious stylistic relations.

Most of Umezu's works, for the ones I've read, use the everyday life as the menace, with the monsters being relatable, identifiable (your mother, your imaginary friend, your wife…). The menace in his works is human's nature. That's quite obvious in his works for the younger audience where he often wrote an explicit morale at the end.
That's the polar opposite of some random spiral or living planet.

I don't like all Umezu's works that I've read, but I find them quite interesting, they often offer multiple layers of lecture depending of who you identify with (the protagonist, the monster…). They're not "abstract".
And unknown isn't an issue, Lovecraft is extremely good at dealing with it, because his unknown doesn't feel random.

EDIT: sorry, now that I re-read your message, I think you were speaking about the style. Like I said, Umezu is theatric, when I read an Umezu's manga, I feel like I'm watching a stage play, those character are straight out one at least, like they're acting. That's not the case of Ito's ones… up until they do some weird faces out of nowhere, the screaming face most notably. That's this brutal change of tone that I find dissonant. I wasn't speaking of the "body horror" phases.
removed-userJan 8, 2018 2:41 PM
Jan 8, 2018 2:42 PM

Feb 2015
I was referring to the contrast between his designs before and after the "horror" elements are introduced. They start off mundane and average and gradually become more messed up throughout the story.

Probably because Lovecraft is less blatantly conceptual and deals with more hellish material. Also, Umezu is totally abstract with his stories, I completely disagree.
Jan 8, 2018 3:57 PM

Apr 2012
This was more comedy horror/black comedy than traditional horror. I laughed a bit until the doll part xD Then I was like holy shit! O__O
Jan 8, 2018 4:32 PM

Sep 2015
That kid at the start annoys me so goddamn much. i just want to beat him to death. That's how much I hate that guy. Putting curse on people and messing with his sister. Even if the curses was coincidence Thinking he's all special. he's so ungrateful too, I was hoping he learned his lesson after his brother helps him. But nope. he can go die...
Jan 8, 2018 5:17 PM

Jun 2016
Kinda disappointed at this first episode, not even from the lack of any vague resemblance to horror thus far, but because I just felt second-hand embarrassment for Souichi the entire time. That kind of humor is like nails on a chalkboard to me. I hope they don't focus on his story for much longer.
The opening is fuckin' amazing, though.
Jan 8, 2018 5:52 PM

Dec 2017
It was okay at some points, and stupid at some. Doll story was promising tho. I'll see the next episode than decide to pursue.
Jan 8, 2018 5:56 PM

Oct 2010
This first story was a little bit irritating due to Shoichi and his grating voice, but I liked the atmosphere and I think I can expect some greatness from this series. It will all depend on the story of choice each week. I'll keep watching.
Jan 8, 2018 6:00 PM
May 2016
" Drama, Horror, Mystery, Psychological, Supernatural "
The only accurate tag is supernatural, kind of.

I was expecting some fucked up shit and got a dull boring attempt at comedy.
gonna drop this one.
Jan 8, 2018 7:31 PM
Dec 2017
I still have yet to actually read some of Ito's work, since I like purchasing hard copies of books/manga, but I know a bit of his work. This first episode was very strange, and after looking around once I finished it, I found that this episode was based on one of Ito's fewer comedy stories. What I'm hoping is that they're starting the show off a little lighter, but it will slowly degrade throughout the collection and by the end be truly horrifying. I enjoyed the opening, thought it fit the mood of the show, and the art style is fine, it works for the horror/slight comedic tone of the show. Just please stop calling it the new Berserk 2018, for god's sakes, it's not even NEARLY that bad.
Jan 8, 2018 11:51 PM
Sep 2016
Super disappointing after all the overhype it had
1.1.Six
Jan 9, 2018 2:00 AM

Apr 2009
AnimEva said:
lady_freyja said:

soymilkyy said:
they really should be adapting stories that are actually horror, not comedy. i'll keep watching because it's junji ito, but i'm not here for a generic modern anime with quirky xD stuff in it

How is it "generic modern anime with quirky xD stuff in it" when it's still adapting an Ito story? While this was indeed a weird one to kick the show off with, implying that the adaption should avoid doing Ito's great lighter tales doesn't makes sense to me.

I have read a lot of his light, comedy stuff and I'm a huge fan, I'm just not a huge fan of the way they chose to adapt this. it doesn't have an ito feel to it. and why cant i be upset that they chose to adapt his funny stories? he is known as the modern horror manga king and they aren't doing any favours to him by not starting the series with a dark tale
Jan 9, 2018 6:44 AM

Oct 2014
I was expecting horror but... Oh well, its my fault for expecting a horror anime in the first place. Setting aside the horror, this episode is more in the funny side for me. Gonna see the next episodes before deciding to continue or not.
Jan 9, 2018 1:14 PM

Feb 2015
Is really nobody scared of spiders anymore? Sigh.

As an arachnophobic, I didn't like this episode.

The part with the dolls seemed interesting, though. Too bad it was extremely short and ended abruptly.
Jan 9, 2018 8:46 PM

Jun 2010
Oh god, they're starting out with the Souchi stories? Urrgh this is going to be rough, since it was Ito's first attempt at an ongoing storyline - and frankly I think they're some of the weakest stories he's ever written. Hopefully we'll get to see more from his one shots, Tomie series, Gyo series or Uzumaki series soon, otherwise I might have to stop watching for a while.

That aside, I liked the sound design, animation and direction of this episode despite not caring about the story. I also appreciated them including the doll story at the end as a nice palette cleanser. Hopefully this will be an indication of the kind of quality we can expect for the rest of series moving forward. Episode gets a solid 4/5.
Jan 10, 2018 6:23 PM

Oct 2011
Yawn. Ill wait for Tomie and Uzumaki episodes.

Forum icon by Yandere

Jan 10, 2018 6:36 PM

May 2014
Let's just hope the later episodes are better....
Jan 11, 2018 5:15 AM
Mar 2016
In all honesty, I was a little disappointed with this episode.

The majority of it focused on Souichi, who I don’t think works so well as a stand-alone character. A series dedicated to him would do him more justice - as without much context he can be a little annoying. There are also much better Souichi stories to adapt. I’m sure that there’ll be other episodes dedicated to him, so hopefully they pick a better story in the future. The one they chose just wasn’t scary!

The doll story was also too short, and provided no context as to what was even going on. Granted, the manga is only four pages, but it at least explains why children are turning into dolls. Here, it’s just presented as some thing that happens rather than the more horrifying world epidemic in the manga. I did like the last shot, although they could’ve built it up a little better.
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »

More topics from this board

» Is the blu ray version better?

Andru230 - Mar 27

2 by Andru230 »»
Apr 15, 9:42 AM

Poll: » Ito Junji: Collection Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jan 12, 2018

162 by Moxymoxymo »»
Mar 24, 12:03 PM

» Question for whoever has completed this series.....

Elbezo - Dec 11, 2023

5 by Koukyoukyoku »»
Jan 11, 7:03 AM

Poll: » Ito Junji: Collection Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 23, 2018

100 by Ayaraa_ »»
Nov 12, 2023 12:09 PM

Poll: » Ito Junji: Collection Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 16, 2018

74 by Giannaisokayish »»
Aug 8, 2023 8:17 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.