Forum Settings
Forums

WHO to Recognize 'Gaming Disorder' as Mental Health Condition

New
Jan 8, 2018 12:13 PM
Jul 2018
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Jan 8, 2018 12:19 PM

Apr 2016
I know about some other "Disorder" that need to be added as Mental Health Conditions.
Jan 8, 2018 12:27 PM

Jan 2009
next up internet addiction and im gonna be included on that one

the only problem with this is its prone to overdiagnosis

psychiatry needs to focus on finding biomarkers or physical laboratory tests for mental illness
Jan 8, 2018 12:31 PM

Apr 2017
Anything can be an addiction, so meh.

But I do think this could be a problem... for the gaming industry
Jan 8, 2018 12:32 PM

Apr 2016
-Spades- said:

Playing game is addiction, and buying loot boxes is not gambling, i think the gaming industry already have problem.
Jan 8, 2018 12:38 PM

Aug 2009
Depends on the type of game. I was addicted to MMO's like Warcraft and Atantica Online for a while and yeah... that was intense. I think most console games don't really have that problem though.

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Jan 8, 2018 12:44 PM

Apr 2017
Swagernator said:
-Spades- said:

Playing game is addiction, and buying loot boxes is not gambling, i think the gaming industry already have problem.

Yeah I think you are right lol
Jan 8, 2018 7:37 PM

Aug 2007
I laughed at this. Too ridiculous to take it serious.

Swagernator said:
-Spades- said:

It depends on the box. If you know what you're getting from the beginning then it isn't gambling. If you have a chance to get whatever inside he box then it is gambling by definition.
Jan 8, 2018 7:55 PM

Mar 2008
As I pointed out in another thread people literally game themselves to death. It's not even that rare. They skip sleeping and eating. Even when it's not to that level people might lose their jobs over not showing up to game or something.
Jan 8, 2018 8:01 PM

Jun 2010
I mean, having the compulsion to continue performing ANY activity despite negative consequences to one's health, career, and relationships can be considered a mental disorder. It's just that an "addiction" to gaming is quite prevalent in this day and age.

It's funny seeing gamers overreact to this - but what many don't realize is that the vast majority of them wouldn't even meet the diagnostic criteria.
Jan 8, 2018 9:42 PM
Jul 2018
The thing about addictive disorders (like all disorders) is that they can fall under a spectrum of severity, much like anything else that’s considered a mental disorder. Mental disorders themselves are so vast and so many, with some mimicking symptoms of others or having very similar diagnostic criteria (especially as time progresses, it’s hard to distinguish whether a disorder is manifesting the same under different conditions or starting to manifest as another disorder)... does that mean it’s going to be added to the next DSM or something, then?
Jan 8, 2018 11:44 PM

Sep 2016
Having a passion to play video games isn't a mental disorder. You can play as long as you think you are able to. The point is, that you don't get a bad addiction to play video games or else, get ready to be classified as a person with 'gaming disorder'. Being addicted to something isn't bad. But controlling your addiction is a different story. Not being able to control your addiction and valuing it more than yourself can be considered a bad addiction, or say, a mental disorder.
Jan 8, 2018 11:51 PM

Jun 2015
If you guys look up more about this, you'll find that they're classifying cases where addiction to video games have made a person near nonfunctional in society; e.g excluding oneself from friends for long periods of time, or not being able to productively complete work on time, or dropping out of school, etc. It's akin to other mental disorders such as depression which can cause the same results.

They're not victimizing video games. You can still play them and not be classified insane. They're victimizing the very real effects of video game obsession and how it drives generally normal people into self-inflicted isolation.
Jan 9, 2018 7:43 AM

Mar 2012
Famknight said:
Being addicted to something isn't bad. But controlling your addiction is a different story. Not being able to control your addiction and valuing it more than yourself can be considered a bad addiction, or say, a mental disorder.
Yes, yes it is bad. While it is possible to "function" at some level (keep a job, maintain relationships, etc.) while being an addict, being an addict is not conducive to functioning, is damaging to mental and physical health, and limits possibilities by organizing life around addiction.
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Jan 9, 2018 9:09 AM

Aug 2007
ixaa said:
If you guys look up more about this, you'll find that they're classifying cases where addiction to video games have made a person near nonfunctional in society; e.g excluding oneself from friends for long periods of time, or not being able to productively complete work on time, or dropping out of school, etc. It's akin to other mental disorders such as depression which can cause the same results.

They're not victimizing video games. You can still play them and not be classified insane. They're victimizing the very real effects of video game obsession and how it drives generally normal people into self-inflicted isolation.

Pretty sure a normal person wouldn't ever get like that.
Jan 9, 2018 7:01 PM

Aug 2007
KleoShadowmoon said:
After working with people who forget their most basic needs (eating, showering etc) due to addictions to gaming, I'm so glad this has been recognized. I'm a gamer myself and can spend hours without even realizing in my free time so understand the love of video games. It's when it gets in your way with your day to day life and means you cannot function properly then it does need to be recognized. I hope this now means that people who need help do get it.

Bullshit. There is absolutely no way this is true.
Drunk_SamuraiJan 9, 2018 7:06 PM
Jan 9, 2018 8:56 PM

Apr 2011
Drunk_Samurai said:
KleoShadowmoon said:
After working with people who forget their most basic needs (eating, showering etc) due to addictions to gaming, I'm so glad this has been recognized. I'm a gamer myself and can spend hours without even realizing in my free time so understand the love of video games. It's when it gets in your way with your day to day life and means you cannot function properly then it does need to be recognized. I hope this now means that people who need help do get it.

I agree

showering makes sense, but who the fuck forgets to eat LOL
Jan 9, 2018 9:37 PM

Jun 2015
Drunk_Samurai said:
ixaa said:

Pretty sure a normal person wouldn't ever get like that.

You'd be surprised to see how many normal (i.e functional) people succumb to addiction.
Jan 9, 2018 10:25 PM

May 2009
Drunk_Samurai said:
KleoShadowmoon said:

Given that people have died from playing too long (seems to be quite common in South Korea), I wouldn't put it past them to do that.

That said, why do they feel like this needs a separate entry, when it's just an addiction like any other? Did other addictions, such a watching too much TV, get the same treatment?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 14, 2018 11:12 PM

Feb 2010
hmm does that meen people can opt out of being drafted because they don't accept people with mental health issues :P

well then WHO
"among monsters and humans, there are only two types.
Those who undergo suffering and spread it to others. And those who undergo suffering and avoid giving it to others." -Alice
“Beauty is no quality in things themselves: It exists merely in the mind which contemplates them; and each mind perceives a different beauty.” David Hume
“Evil is created when someone gives up on someone else. It appears when everyone gives up on someone as a lost cause and removes their path to salvation. Once they are cut off from everyone else, they become evil.” -Othinus

Jan 15, 2018 3:33 AM

Jan 2013
ixaa said:
excluding oneself from friends for long periods of time, or not being able to productively complete work on time, or dropping out of school, etc.
People drop out of school because they fucking hate school.
People don't want to work because work fucking sucks.
And some people just don't have friends.

This isn't a video game problem. This is a life problem.

Classifying video game addiction as a health disorder isn't going to change shit. People are still going to isolate themselves from real life because real life is miserable not because of video games.
PeenusWeenusCaimJan 15, 2018 3:38 AM
Jan 15, 2018 8:01 AM

Jun 2015
PeenusWeenusCaim said:
ixaa said:
excluding oneself from friends for long periods of time, or not being able to productively complete work on time, or dropping out of school, etc.

Classifying video game addiction as a health disorder isn't going to change shit. People are still going to isolate themselves from real life because real life is miserable not because of video games.

I'm not going to deny that this is a mental health issue. However, video games are basically a catalyst for shut-ins who would be "functional" and i.e "productive" for a longer period of time.

Jan 15, 2018 12:22 PM

Aug 2007
ixaa said:
PeenusWeenusCaim said:

I'm not going to deny that this is a mental health issue. However, video games are basically a catalyst for shut-ins who would be "functional" and i.e "productive" for a longer period of time.

This is false. Remove video games and the person would have replaced it with something else.
Jan 15, 2018 6:27 PM

Feb 2010
Drunk_Samurai said:
ixaa said:

This is false. Remove video games and the person would have replaced it with something else.

true

humans need entertainment or an activity and free time.

often work does not count as an activity (unless they enjoy doing it. but that's rare.)

in the middle ages often executions were used as a source of entertainment. barbaric yes but they didn't have a whole lot to do.

why do you think Rome had Gladiatorial battles for people to watch?

also implying gamers don't have friends rrriiiggghhhtttt.

Those who undergo suffering and spread it to others. And those who undergo suffering and avoid giving it to others." -Alice
“Beauty is no quality in things themselves: It exists merely in the mind which contemplates them; and each mind perceives a different beauty.” David Hume
“Evil is created when someone gives up on someone else. It appears when everyone gives up on someone as a lost cause and removes their path to salvation. Once they are cut off from everyone else, they become evil.” -Othinus

Jan 15, 2018 6:28 PM

Jul 2013
Haven't they been saying this for years?

╮ (. ❛ ᴗ ❛.) ╭

Jan 15, 2018 6:28 PM

Feb 2010
Fuchsia said:
Haven't they been saying this for years?

they use to say the same about tv as well.

Jan 15, 2018 6:46 PM

Jun 2011
Firelord76 said:
Drunk_Samurai said:

Given that people have died from playing too long (seems to be quite common in South Korea), I wouldn't put it past them to do that.

That said, why do they feel like this needs a separate entry, when it's just an addiction like any other? Did other addictions, such a watching too much TV, get the same treatment?

I have forgotten to eat while playing games. I have not slept because "just one more hour".

I am also someone who is an ex-Yugioh addict. And as much as it is "safe" to play say the Tagforce series... things like Duel links could send me out of control on spending if I don't watch myself.

I spent $200 a month on Yugioh at one point in my life. And that was money I didn't really have. I knew many other Yugioh players who would drop their entire paycheck on Yugioh and forget they need to eat.

Valuing your game more than your family, friends outside of gaming, and other responsibilities....I have been there. It is a dark space. You really stop caring about people who don't play your game. You will manipulate others to buy you stuff when you can't afford it.

And yeah this included crying in order to get more cards... or feigning sexual interest. When I had none except for Yugioh itself. I was orgasming when I played...

It is super hard to really describe just how deep in I was but it gave me a rush like no other thing- but also made me feel like trash when I wasn't doing the thing. And as much as I can "cut back" it took getting a dog which I felt mattered more to me than gaming. I still have IMPULSES all the time that I prevent myself from buying psychical cards which have this entire ritual + smell element.
Energetic-NovaJan 15, 2018 7:04 PM
The anime community in a nutshell.
Jan 15, 2018 7:41 PM

Jul 2014
Just about anything can be classified as a disorder ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

This TED talk is quite interesting on the topic if any are interested.

♪ Imprisoned in the new world of 0s & 1s ♪

Jan 15, 2018 8:38 PM

Jun 2015
Drunk_Samurai said:
ixaa said:

Nothing you're saying is wrong.

This is a mental health issue. People who become obsessed with video games to the point of shut-ins already have underlying psychological issues prior to their addiction. If they did not have video games, they would still probably turn to drugs, alcohol, TV, or the like.

HOWEVER, video games are a factor or they speed up the process in which a person becomes completely nonfunctional. It is extremely akin to alcohol. People become obsessed with video games because it allows them to explore a new and better world, or at the very least, it helps them escape the issues of real life. This is the same way alcoholics drink heavily because they like to "forget their troubles", even if only temporarily.

IF video games did not exist, then the possibility of a skyrocketing number of alcoholism or drug abuse in the USA is hardly an impossible concept.
However, in the similar way that alcoholism is a mental disorder, video game obsession is classified as one too.
Jan 15, 2018 8:39 PM

Mar 2013
o fuk         
Jan 15, 2018 11:16 PM

Aug 2007
ixaa said:
Drunk_Samurai said:

Nothing you're saying is wrong.

This is a mental health issue. People who become obsessed with video games to the point of shut-ins already have underlying psychological issues prior to their addiction. If they did not have video games, they would still probably turn to drugs, alcohol, TV, or the like.

HOWEVER, video games are a factor or they speed up the process in which a person becomes completely nonfunctional. It is extremely akin to alcohol. People become obsessed with video games because it allows them to explore a new and better world, or at the very least, it helps them escape the issues of real life. This is the same way alcoholics drink heavily because they like to "forget their troubles", even if only temporarily.

IF video games did not exist, then the possibility of a skyrocketing number of alcoholism or drug abuse in the USA is hardly an impossible concept.
However, in the similar way that alcoholism is a mental disorder, video game obsession is classified as one too.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Jan 16, 2018 8:07 AM

Mar 2013
*rolls eyes* Okay, I guess everything is a mental disorder now. Better contact my therapist and get help for being a fan of anime.
Jan 16, 2018 8:34 AM

Jul 2015
Drunk_Samurai said:
KleoShadowmoon said:

You need to open your eyes and take a look around you, son. The world is vast and much stranger than what you seem to think.
Jan 16, 2018 9:44 AM
Jul 2018
Every addiction, including gaming, should be seen as something serious and addressed as such.
There are already plenty of clinics who treat people with gaming addiction, so I don't see how some people don't consider it a serious problem.
Every addiction or "hobby" that stands in the way of you having a "Normal" life and do what you should (work, have healthy habits etc..) as to be addressed.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.