Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Jan 8, 2018 1:45 AM

Apr 2014
Ok so I've seen pretty much every anime pertaining to the Fate series, but never played any of the series' visual novels or games outside of a bit of Fate/Grand Order.
That being said, I was lost for the majority of this series. I understand it takes place on an alternate timeline where different events happened in the third holy grail war which lead to the events we had now, but there's still some other questions I could never answer myself. I don't care about spoilers so answer away

1. So when exactly does the story take place? Different sources say different things. Does it take place in place of the 4th holy grail war in the mid 90's? Or in place of the 5th holy grail war in the early 2000's? Most people say the former, but then how do we have an adult Waver in this anime? And if so, how does he have a relic for Iskandar and was heavily implied they bonded and underwent the events in Fate/Zero?

2. I find it kind of hard to believe Amakusa Shirou Tokisada has nothing to do with either Shirou or Kotomine of the canon Fate universes. They share the same names, look like each other, and have similar ideals. But if they have nothing to do with each other, why did they go out of their way to make it so darn confusing? And also, is Amakusa Shirou Tokisada at all relevant in any other entry in the Fate series?

3. The ending where Sieg travels to the end of some other universe to save the world from Amakusa's wish, can someone explain that? Ruler was there so maybe its some form of heaven? or something related to heaven's feel? Bit lost on that too.

K thanks in advance to anyone who helps answer.
Jan 8, 2018 1:55 AM

Apr 2016
Long story short:

1. It take place after third war. The reason why Waver has relic of Iskandar and actually know him, its cause he was participant in "other", "random", basically they were called a Sub-GWs, that take place instead of fourth one (zero). So that how he know him, he summoned him in Sub-Gw war.

2. Answer: Mysterious Heroine.

3. Its not "some other universe" its Reverse Side of the World, its on Earth. Its the same like Avalon, well kind of ...
SwagernatorJan 8, 2018 1:59 AM
Jan 8, 2018 2:01 AM

Apr 2014
Swagernator said:
Long story short:

1. It take place after third war. The reason why Waver has relic of Iskandar and actually know him, its cause he was participant in "other", "random", basically they were Sub-GWs.

2. Answer: Mysterious Heroine.

3. Its not "some other universe" its Reverse Side of the World, its on Earth. Its the same kind like Avalon for Saber.

1. Do you know exactly what year though? I know it's supposed to be around 60 years after the 3rd holy grail war but that's about it.
And so if I understand correctly, Waver still participated in a "Sub-GW" but it wasn't the same grail war in Fate zero? A different one but with similar events? I did hear about a 4th holy grail war that happened but was unofficial or something, but I never understood if that meant it never happened or if it happened a lot differently.

2. That's someone from Fate/Grand Order? I don't really get how this answers the question.

3. Can you explain a bit more?
Jan 8, 2018 2:31 AM

Apr 2016
Protaku said:

1. Do you know exactly what year though? I know it's supposed to be around 60 years after the 3rd holy grail war but that's about it.
And so if I understand correctly, Waver still participated in a "Sub-GW" but it wasn't the same grail war in Fate zero? A different one but with similar events? I did hear about a 4th holy grail war that happened but was unofficial or something, but I never understood if that meant it never happened or if it happened a lot differently.

2. That's someone from Fate/Grand Order? I don't really get how this answers the question.

Sorry mate, i'm tired of explaining Fate.

But you can always check Type-moon wiki, its good.
Jan 8, 2018 2:34 AM

Apr 2014
Swagernator said:
Protaku said:

I already tried Googling and wiki'ing all my questions and barely any of them got answered lol, which is why I came here. Guess I'll just wait for the next post
Jan 8, 2018 4:50 AM

Jun 2013
1. The anime takes places in 2004, same year FSN should have taken place. Reason why Velvet has some knowledge is because of many minor Grail Wars that happened in meantime. You can read details about that in Apocrypha manga.

2. Shirou in Apocrypha has nothing to do with FSN Shirou, the look is just coincidence. Reason why he carries Kotomine surname is becasue he was adopted into Kotomine family. Shirou Tokisada only appears in FGO beside Apocrypha ( and maybe he will in Extella/Link but no confirmation yet ), but I did not play JP version that far so i cannot tell how useful he is.

3. The other side of the world is a form of Heaven, but not the likes of one described in a Bible. It is a pocket universe similar to Avalon that exists on Earth. It is basically the home of Fafnir ( the dragon into which SIeg transformed ) where everything is immortal. Jeanne went there after who knows how long but the chances for that were close to 1%, but she reached there as Grail also fulfill the wishes of Servants if they are strong enough. Obliviously she changed a lot since Apocrypha as she probably visited other worlds like FGO ( confirmed ) and Extella before reaching other side of the world.

Jan 8, 2018 5:09 AM

Apr 2014
BrotherCoa said:
1. The anime takes places in 2004, same year FSN should have taken place. Reason why Velvet has some knowledge is because of many minor Grail Wars that happened in meantime. You can read details about that in Apocrypha manga.

2. Shirou in Apocrypha has nothing to do with FSN Shirou, the look is just coincidence. Reason why he carries Kotomine surname is becasue he was adopted into Kotomine family. Shirou Tokisada only appears in FGO beside Apocrypha ( and maybe he will in Extella/Link but no confirmation yet ), but I did not play JP version that far so i cannot tell how useful he is.

3. The other side of the world is a form of Heaven, but not the likes of one described in a Bible. It is a pocket universe similar to Avalon that exists on Earth. It is basically the home of Fafnir ( the dragon into which SIeg transformed ) where everything is immortal. Jeanne went there after who knows how long but the chances for that were close to 1%, but she reached there as Grail also fulfill the wishes of Servants if they are strong enough. Obliviously she changed a lot since Apocrypha as she probably visited other worlds like FGO ( confirmed ) and Extella before reaching other side of the world.

1. Thanks that answered most of my question. But in regards to Velvet, it is understandable if he knows of the minor Grail Wars in that timeline, but then how does he still have a relic for Iskandar? Does it heavily imply they still participated in one of the minor grail wars as a substitute for the official holy grail war in Fate/zero? Velvet spoke very reminiscently and casually to the relic in the end just as he would have in fate/zero.

2. Great thanks, that explains everything. The Kotomine fact in particular is important to know. Still a weird design choice to give him the same name and general appearance as FSN Shirou though. Maybe type-moon just wanted to troll us lol.

3. As a rookie FSN fan, this sounds kind of complicated lol. But your explanation seems to answer everything so thanks again for that. I'm looking forward to watching Fate/Extella and Fate/Heaven's Feel to help connect things more until the likes of Hollow Ataraxia and others get adapted into anime. I'd play GO but it's really just not my thing so hoping for continuation of the anime in the future.
Jan 8, 2018 5:18 AM

Jul 2012
If you've having trouble keeping up with this get ready for next season where Fate/Extra's Tohsaka is a completely different person from F/SN Tohsaka, Shinji is a 8 year old kid, and Sakura is the school nurse.
Jan 8, 2018 5:20 AM

Apr 2016
Lifeguard_wzrd said:
If you've having trouble keeping up with this get ready for next season where Fate/Extra's Tohsaka is a completely different person from F/SN Tohsaka, Shinji is a 8 year old kid, and Sakura is the school nurse.

But what would be more complicated would be the fact that Fate/Extra will apparently have an original story, as they mentioned during stream.

+Nasu is writhing the script so.
Jan 8, 2018 5:25 AM

Jul 2012
Swagernator said:
Lifeguard_wzrd said:

But what would be more complicated would be the fact that Fate/Extra will apparently have an original story, as they mentioned during stream.

+Nasu is writhing the script so.

Oh really? That's disappointing but I guess that's a way to fit all the servants into the show.
Jan 8, 2018 5:50 AM

Oct 2014
https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1658279

A) It takes place around the same time that the fifth grail war(the Fate/stay night one) would've happened.

B) Fate/Zero's 4th war never happened in this universe since the grail was already stolen.

C) During the third war, instead of summoning Angra Manyu, the Enizberns summoned Amakusa Shirou Tokisada in the Ruler class, and used his 2 command spells for each servant to cheat in the war.

http://typemoon.wikia.com/wiki/Fate/Apocrypha
The setting of Fate/Apocrypha is a parallel world to Fate/stay night where the Greater Grail was removed from Fuyuki after the Third Holy Grail War disappeared for many years. Around the 2000s, around the same time as the Fifth Holy Grail War would have happened

^That explains Adult waver, he's 10 years older(give or take) than when you saw him in Fate/Zero, and in Fate/Zero he was 19 years old.

He has the same last name as Kotomine Kirei because he was adopted by Kotomine Risei (Kirei's father) after the third grail war was over.

3. I'm not too familiar with the reverse side of the world so I'll refrain from answering that, ask in the thread I sent and maybe someone will answer you. It could be explained in Vol 5 of the LNs, thing is, it isn't translated yet.
Jan 8, 2018 8:07 PM

Aug 2013
Swagernator said:
Protaku said:

You...typed 4 sentences. Was it that tiring?
Jan 8, 2018 9:35 PM

Apr 2016
Jonesy974 said:

Explaining Fate to outside people is always tiring.
Jan 10, 2018 4:09 AM

Apr 2014
Shayon said:
https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1658279

A) It takes place around the same time that the fifth grail war(the Fate/stay night one) would've happened.

B) Fate/Zero's 4th war never happened in this universe since the grail was already stolen.

C) During the third war, instead of summoning Angra Manyu, the Enizberns summoned Amakusa Shirou Tokisada in the Ruler class, and used his 2 command spells for each servant to cheat in the war.

http://typemoon.wikia.com/wiki/Fate/Apocrypha
The setting of Fate/Apocrypha is a parallel world to Fate/stay night where the Greater Grail was removed from Fuyuki after the Third Holy Grail War disappeared for many years. Around the 2000s, around the same time as the Fifth Holy Grail War would have happened

^That explains Adult waver, he's 10 years older(give or take) than when you saw him in Fate/Zero, and in Fate/Zero he was 19 years old.

He has the same last name as Kotomine Kirei because he was adopted by Kotomine Risei (Kirei's father) after the third grail war was over.

3. I'm not too familiar with the reverse side of the world so I'll refrain from answering that, ask in the thread I sent and maybe someone will answer you. It could be explained in Vol 5 of the LNs, thing is, it isn't translated yet.

Thanks for explaining everything so thoroughly, you helped a lot mate.
Jan 10, 2018 4:11 AM

Apr 2014
Swagernator said:
Jonesy974 said:

Explaining Fate to outside people is always tiring.

I wouldn't call myself a complete outsider to the series. I've seen pretty much every type-moon anime adaptation there is but never played any of the novels or games, mostly because I don't have a lot of spare time to invest in them.
That being said, if you weren't willing to actually help, you probably should have never commented at all.
Jan 10, 2018 5:19 AM

Apr 2016
Protaku said:
I wouldn't call myself a complete outsider to the series. I've seen pretty much every type-moon anime adaptation there is but never played any of the novels or games, mostly because I don't have a lot of spare time to invest in them.
That being said, if you weren't willing to actually help, you probably should have never commented at all.

Not complete outsider would understand my explanations.
Jan 10, 2018 5:28 AM

Sep 2009
1. Alternate timeline from FSN time.
2. Blame it on the character designer. Tokisada is a historic figure, like any other heroic spirit (except he's Japanese)
3. Apparently the writers decided that because siegfried ate a dragon's heart and bathed in its blood, Sieg should have the ability to turn into a dimension traveling dragon.
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Feb 5, 2018 7:32 PM
Aug 2011
3. Reverse side of the world where Gods and mythical beast exist, because the current surface world is hostile against them. Thats their only safe heaven.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

More topics from this board

» A Guide to Fate/Apocrypha

OneBetta - Mar 14

2 by OneBetta »»
Mar 14, 4:48 AM

Poll: » Fate/Apocrypha Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Nov 11, 2017

97 by TheBiggestAm »»
Mar 9, 7:31 PM

» Who is your favorite character from Apocrypha?

Omarumba - Feb 25

28 by Manthors »»
Mar 1, 12:39 PM

Poll: » Fate/Apocrypha Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 30, 2017

278 by PirateHasan »»
Jan 5, 8:19 AM

Poll: » Fate/Apocrypha Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 2, 2017

86 by PirateHasan »»
Dec 28, 2023 7:10 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.