Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Jan 5, 2018 8:08 PM

Apr 2014
Mentar said:
Amazing how some people manage to completely figure out a character after 1 episode :)

Of course it's all BS. Siluca is a fairly multilayered character, as the story will show.

Oh hey, It's Xello- uhh... I meant Mentar. But yeah, I'm giving it a chance considering the author also did Record of Lodoss War which was EXCELLENT high fantasy back in the late 80s. As far as I can see though, Theo is meant to be similar to Parn, the MC for Lodoss. So he's probably not going to be exciting but instead, the excitement is put on the characters that eventually joins him.

I am, however, a bit disappointed with the visuals.
Jan 5, 2018 9:25 PM
Jul 2018
Not that bad than I anticipated! I remember reading the manga beforehand but this started in a better direction especially the character developments. Although the story setting didn't yet impress me, but not gonna lie with that I like the characters and animation, which were really something fascinating to watch. Also mcs' voices was something unique for me too. So might stick with this show all to the end.
removed-userJan 5, 2018 9:34 PM
Jan 5, 2018 9:30 PM

May 2016
The animation was okay, definitely better than your average A-1 shows.

Again, it's Episode 1. Not putting a high expectation since it's a LN adaptation but the show definitely has potential, exceeding my initial impression.

It was easy to understand what was going on in that world. Love these kind of shows with OP/highly potential MC where they start off weak & eventually grow overtime.

Looking forward to the next episodes!
GokuNazzJan 5, 2018 10:07 PM
Jan 5, 2018 9:56 PM
Mar 2016
Oh great another OP MC who has a golden heart and a prodigy that is bored with life

Im gona go and guess what happens next MC will fight other lords with some being evil assholes that hes going to defeat with his and the mage OP skills and then theyll face Lords that are nice and caring defeat them and then turn them into allies basically Tears to tiara, Utawarerumo and Madan no Ou to Vanadis
Jan 5, 2018 10:35 PM

Jul 2014
Um, I guess I liked it. I mean, it seems interesting but the pace was too fast. Please, stop for a moment and explain something!...I hope this isn't going to be common throughout the series.

I loved Siluca though. <3
SkyLETVJan 6, 2018 6:56 AM
Jan 5, 2018 10:42 PM

May 2010
TsundeReaper said:
Generic boring bland lame MC: Plot convenience activate!!

Aaaaaaaand just like that he got himself a waifu, a tool for his shitty character, and they will develop a romantic relationship fight the evil for his generic boring dream

lol i cant help but agree, this was waaay too convenient :D This show for sure is generic as can be. Not sure i will give it even another episode.
Jan 5, 2018 11:10 PM

Oct 2008
The heck! I feel like this is similar to Granblue fantasy...lolz very similar timeline universe...
3/5.

Jan 6, 2018 12:03 AM

Jan 2009
Enternal said:
Oh hey, It's Xello- uhh... I meant Mentar. But yeah, I'm giving it a chance considering the author also did Record of Lodoss War which was EXCELLENT high fantasy back in the late 80s. As far as I can see though, Theo is meant to be similar to Parn, the MC for Lodoss. So he's probably not going to be exciting but instead, the excitement is put on the characters that eventually joins him.

I mean - if you look at her only based on what wed know from ep1:

1) She's a valedictorian and a highly capable mage
2) She tried to intervene after noticing the Chaos on a Royal Wedding: Shows initiative
3) She waits and watches a 10-on-one when Theo tries to "rescue" her
4) She's moody over being force-contracted with "Count Lust", so she decides to build herself a different contractor instead
5) To do this, she sics a self-summoned demon on Theo to powerlevel him enough to become eligible to contract her (he was close to dying btw - that was more than only a little bit ruthless of her)
6) She forces him into the contract
7) She decides for him to "go to war"

How can any viewer based on this conclude that "she is only going to live through Theo", as if she'd give up her own person and subject herself to the whims of a Harem king? Sorry, but this is _stupid_. She's doing the exact opposite. She is effectively using and forcing Theo to do HER bidding.
MentarJan 6, 2018 12:06 AM
Jan 6, 2018 12:33 AM

Apr 2014
Mentar said:
Enternal said:

I mean - if you look at her only based on what wed know from ep1:

1) She's a valedictorian and a highly capable mage
2) She tried to intervene after noticing the Chaos on a Royal Wedding: Shows initiative
3) She waits and watches a 10-on-one when Theo tries to "rescue" her
4) She's moody over being force-contracted with "Count Lust", so she decides to build herself a different contractor instead
5) To do this, she sics a self-summoned demon on Theo to powerlevel him enough to become eligible to contract her (he was close to dying btw - that was more than only a little bit ruthless of her)
6) She forces him into the contract
7) She decides for him to "go to war"

How can any viewer based on this conclude that "she is only going to live through Theo", as if she'd give up her own person and subject herself to the whims of a Harem king? Sorry, but this is _stupid_. She's doing the exact opposite. She is effectively using and forcing Theo to do HER bidding.

Exactly. She's clearly has a personality, is sassy, has the initiatives, shown to be quick-on-her-feet, intelligent, and forceful when needed. She clearly has her agency and is intended to keep it by using Theo rather than wasting her life with Count Lust. And for anyone who complained about Theo, I don't see the problem. Theo knows that she's right, which is why he goes along with it. Everything is A-Ok.

But yeah, in a few ways, these two mirror Parn and Deedlit. Except for the using each other for gains part. Sort of.

But yeah, Xellos. Nice to see you on here in addition to AnimeSuki. I see Xellos, I feel happy :D

But once again, my complaints are the visuals and a lot of cutting of details. Even the manga adaptation does a better job with maintaining the important details. But what can you do... Still enjoyed it enough to stick with it, though.
EnternalJan 6, 2018 12:37 AM
Jan 6, 2018 12:36 AM

Nov 2009
This show screams generic and requires extensive suspension of disbelief right from the first minutes. Oh well, for now I guess I'll give it a 3 episode chance, since there's not many shows to watch atm.
ったく、嫌な世の中だよ。
Jan 6, 2018 12:52 AM

Sep 2016
So far I'm kinda meh on this. Suddenly a Lord appears and suddenly Siluca wants to form a contract with him. No reasons were given. Like, why? Why did he agree? Why did she offer him a contract? Why does this feel like a generic harem straight from the get-go. And what was up with that lame fight scene?

On to the good side, character design was great, also green-haired male MCs are quite hard to find so here's one of them. Siluca so far is an okay-ish character.

Obviously I'll continue watching since this was just the first episode but let's hope the later episodes aren't as cliche as this was.
Jan 6, 2018 1:13 AM
Jul 2018
Just usual Action-Fantasy that we've seen in most season and have nothing special. Both main character are ridiculous from propose contract without really know each other.
But, let's give this show a chance.
Jan 6, 2018 1:15 AM
Jan 2014
This show gives me the exact same impression I got from Vanadis and Chain Chronicle, in both good and bad ways.

The mc definitely needs more personality. So far he just does whatever the girl tells him to like a puppet. Pacing needs to slow down too.

Seeing this is the only real classic fantasy this season has, the few others are isekais, I'll stick to this. It could turn into something nice since it's a 2 cour show.
Jan 6, 2018 1:24 AM
Jan 2016
The relationship between Theo & Siluca was weird. Theo did not like her presence from the start, Siluca did not care a bit about him. Theo's expression was always sad from the very first time he met her. It's like he hated her yet he just did not care enough to escape from her. I hope this will change, because their relationship was the worst thing about this premiere episode.
Jan 6, 2018 1:37 AM

Oct 2011
I hope Theo becomes like Parn from Lodoss War 😍
Jan 6, 2018 1:43 AM

Dec 2014
Shiruka looked better in the manga, sadly anime version of her is not waifu material (yet) disappointed. 2/5.
Jan 6, 2018 1:57 AM

Jul 2014
This... wasn't great, at all. Not only does it already look extremely low-budget, but it's also very generic and already very poorly plotted/explained. Like, why does the bride leave after the Demon Lord kills her father and the Emperor? Why does that suddenly mean the wedding is off and the war starts again? Why is something that helps the Demon Lord enter the world in the same room as where a significant wedding was set to take place? Why could only Siluca tell that something bad was about to happen? Why did she then agree to Theo asking her to form a contract with him?

Already so many things wrong here, and it's only just gotten started.
Jan 6, 2018 3:02 AM

Jun 2016
What just happened. So, that mage lady met a stranger and made him a Knight then a Lord, and suddenly under a contract him, and decided to stay by his side and aid him for whatever shit he's gonna do? I'm confused. Haha.

It was an okay first episode. Nothing special, tbh, beside that demon that randomly emerged in a church. 3/5.

"Maybe he's trying to take a shit, but the shit just won't come out."
Captain Levi, 2014
(/^-^)/☆♪♪☆\(^0^\)
Jan 6, 2018 3:19 AM

Apr 2015
Soooo. I just watched this, and I feel like a question mark or something. Plot all over the place, fighting bad, characters with no emotions. I'll give it three episodes (maybe four), before I drop it. Sorry. This is not my cup of tea!

LaLeLuLiLo said:
i really wanted to like this, but it was horribly handled that i don't have interest in watching this on a week by week basis.

Agree with you! I might wait maybe three/four weeks, before I binge watch the episodes that came out and then see if it really is worth watching the last bit. Haha.
OwlHeartJan 6, 2018 3:25 AM
Jan 6, 2018 3:28 AM
Jul 2018
Come on, you are all so impatient. That was episode 1 and you want great character development?
Jan 6, 2018 4:05 AM

Jan 2016
Quite interesting and not bad even though there's not enough explanation about the crest itself but I think there will be more explanation as the story goes on.
Jan 6, 2018 4:22 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Man, you lot are a tough crowd for the most part. All these accusations of generic. Hand on heart I ask, how many truly original anime do you see per year? One or two, tops, right? So yeah, we've seen this all before but I could say that of almost anything showing this season.

My biggest complaint at this point is that it seems to be a tad rushed (don't know if the source material is like this too). I would have preferred to see this same story done over two episodes and have a bit more intro into the events of the ceremony at the beginning and of Seluca's employment.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Jan 6, 2018 4:35 AM
Jul 2017
First episode... not bad at all. The art and animation were good in my opinion. However, it was pretty predictable and generic. I fail to see Theo being anything more special. We just have this average dude who happened to bump in and end up having his friends boost him. Jesus Christ, it was so silly that I thought the girl was just trolling around or something. He's even got that MC hair lol.

I'm an avid fan of fantasy and magic so I'm still willing to give this a shot.
14046Jan 6, 2018 4:43 AM
Jan 6, 2018 4:39 AM

Oct 2017
This feels like a Slayers rip off.
Jan 6, 2018 6:33 AM

Jan 2017
For the first Ep, have the mixed feeling already about this sort of fantasy like in between anime such as Madan no Ou to Vanadis, Maoyuu Maou Yuusha, and Nejimaki Seirei Senki: Tenkyou no Alderamin, where it was extremely good fantasy built up and you really wanted to see more of it after last episode but that just it with no possibility next season, you cant read japanese LN level yet and there is no official translation and it is just dead end there. Dead End.
all I wanna say just based on first episode; this anime will be great. A must watch for 2018
Jan 6, 2018 6:43 AM

Aug 2013
oh shit, best grill of the season right here bois ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
ok start tho, not even considered to dropping it
Jan 6, 2018 6:46 AM

Dec 2014
pretty standard for a action fantasy anime...hmmm
Jan 6, 2018 6:55 AM

Sep 2007
As expected, the episode was really well-directed. This wouldn't be the first time the director takes a premise that's utter schlock and turns it into something nice - he did it before with Sankarea - so I'm looking forwarding to this. I just hope the writing will keep up.

Jan 6, 2018 6:59 AM
Apr 2016
Awesome, another one. Done by A-1, check, symbolism integrity absolute, check, benevolent main character without questionable tendencies, check. Now this is my kind of series. Bring it on! I thought this will be animation-wise on par with Black Clover or something, but A-1 actually did something great during the wanna-be-Cerberus fight, so I am expecting top notch confrontations once a season.
Re:formed
Jan 6, 2018 7:00 AM

Jul 2017
Doesn't seem like anything special. Bland animation, generic character designs that don't really match the setting that well, and so-so exposition.

I liked the wedding scene though, and the war between the two ex-fiances might be interesting.

But for now I am dropping it.
Jan 6, 2018 7:44 AM

Dec 2016
For a first episode, it was ok :) I want to see how this goes from now on. Siluca is very pretty by the way ^^

[*]My Completed List
[*]♪Listen ►
[/list][/left]
Jan 6, 2018 8:20 AM

Aug 2015
That couple was too happy for an arranged marriage... Could the bride be a future antagonist? The names of some people and things were quoted without showing them. Siluca's design reminds me a lot of Arthuria of Fate series, like the ahoge, similar golden hair and blue details, as well as some details of the story, such as contracts with magicians and seals... I didn't like Theo very much for now, not even Siluca's clothes, because the skirt doesn't seem to match with that strange outfit. The artstyle is cool. These were just the few details that made me curious. I'm looking forward to the next episode!
Jan 6, 2018 8:47 AM
Jan 2017
animation and the story is pretty good anyway, but theo sound a bit stiff in my opinion
Jan 6, 2018 8:52 AM

Feb 2017
Well, I enjoyed it :')

I liked the music a lot, and I am already invested in the inevitable romance.
'I love you because you're you. I'm happy that you're whole. I don't care if there are sides of you that I don't know, or don't like. If that's who you are, that's fine. As long as you're whole, that's enough for me.'-Kouko Kaga
Jan 6, 2018 9:16 AM

Apr 2009
The general opinion of this episode seems to be that it's just "alright," and I don't disagree. While it sets up some reasons to be invested in the characters, it doesn't really establish much in the way of those characters. We have lords who are glorified magical knights and are strengthened by defeating the demons of chaos. Then we have the mages who seem to call upon, channel, and disperse that same chaos.

What I want to know though, is why an illustrious capital has an orb that can summon demons of its own accord, and why two lords would celebrate a marriage in front of that thing? Is it that Diobolos was sealed in that thing and someone let it out or did fate just go, "Aw man, know what would be funny?" Ultimately, this show is going to be a slow start but I'm hoping for some amount of exposition to make this all clear.
Jan 6, 2018 9:57 AM

Nov 2014
Meh, this first episode didn't leave a with a good first impressions of the series. The knight/lord MC seems pretty generic as well. I listed it as planned to watch since it was a fantasy setting, but what did I really expect out of these type of franchises? It's just recycled tropes and cliches. Hopefully the next episode can do a better job since I'll probably plan to watch this all the way. I like my strong heroines.
Jan 6, 2018 9:57 AM

Apr 2016
Nice this looks great. This anime has the potential to become the anime of the season, can't wait for next week..I'll give only 8/10 though...(this is the highest score i give for a 1st episode xd)

Jan 6, 2018 10:00 AM

Nov 2014
Maneki-Mew said:
Come on, you are all so impatient. That was episode 1 and you want great character development?
First episodes are supposed to intrigue their audiences with a somewhat loud bang. This failed to meet the criteria. IMO
Jan 6, 2018 10:16 AM
Apr 2016
Jalter said:
That couple was too happy for an arranged marriage... Could the bride be a future antagonist? The names of some people and things were quoted without showing them. Siluca's design reminds me a lot of Arthuria of Fate series, like the ahoge, similar golden hair and blue details, as well as some details of the story, such as contracts with magicians and seals... I didn't like Theo very much for now, not even Siluca's clothes, because the skirt doesn't seem to match with that strange outfit. The artstyle is cool. These were just the few details that made me curious. I'm looking forward to the next episode!

Well, as the opening sequence suggests (and which I suspected even before), she either is an insider job or a vengeful piece of female scum, who will without a doubt be a major problem for everyone in the series. Murdering innocents and stuff. I hope not, but well, symbolism suggests otherwise...
Jan 6, 2018 10:21 AM
Apr 2016
mso2499 said:
animation and the story is pretty good anyway, but theo sound a bit stiff in my opinion

Cuz he is doing it not out of his own volition. This is a part of storytelling. While Theo does want to make world a better place, gaining max speed and throwing everyone under the metaphorical bus is not how he envisioned his heroic journey. On the other hand, Siluca (whom I do not despise but the is obviously just a sidekick for the Theo (male hero supremacy)), while probably having the same dream or intentions, out of her overflowing ambitions decided to do it the fast way and make Theo claim everyone. She is basically inviting even more chaos into his life, but since he is a hero it is his duty to withstand it. It's simple maaaaaaan.
Jan 6, 2018 10:25 AM

Aug 2015
Daniel_Naumov said:
Well, as the opening sequence suggests (and which I suspected even before), she either is an insider job or a vengeful piece of female scum, who will without a doubt be a major problem for everyone in the series. Murdering innocents and stuff. I hope not, but well, symbolism suggests otherwise...

This type of character and series predictability is very boring and cliche. I'm hopeless =/.
Jan 6, 2018 10:50 AM
Jul 2015
Definitely disappointed. Plot definitely is all over the place and too much has happened in one episode. I don't like any of the characters yet.
Jan 6, 2018 11:07 AM
Mar 2016

Siluca inda looks like a whore in her outfit
Jan 6, 2018 11:16 AM
Apr 2016
Whoahoho said:

Siluca inda looks like a whore in her outfit

Aren't they all? I mean, they are female characters, they are supposed to appeal to the lesser male viewer. That is why I focus solely on the male hero characters. Molto Bene!
Jan 6, 2018 11:24 AM

Aug 2008
Truth to be told, I wasn't paying attention to the opening info dump. Why did the apparently powerful mage made a servitude pact with some rookie nobody she just met?
Ii tenki desu ne...
Jan 6, 2018 11:40 AM

Nov 2013
i was thinking about dropping it from the 1st minute tbh...but now i'm kinda interested in what they will do lol

that still doesn't change the fact that it was kinda rushed and really strange ...
oh well one of my favorite shows from last season was also something strange like this, shoukoku no altair, a show which i would probably not even think about watching 2 years ago lol
fav "new" girls from winter <3 (2 extra girls this time, but 36 seasonals so whatever) ... click sig for older seasons and more possible picks
Jan 6, 2018 11:59 AM
Sep 2017
The first episode looks good, not brilliant which was to be expected. However, it does look promising so patiently waiting for the next episode.
Jan 6, 2018 12:18 PM

Apr 2014
Antanaru said:
Truth to be told, I wasn't paying attention to the opening info dump. Why did the apparently powerful mage made a servitude pact with some rookie nobody she just met?

She said it herself. She does not want to have a pact with Count Lust plus this rookie has similar ideals to her. And the icing on top, he's easy to control.
Jan 6, 2018 12:19 PM

Apr 2014
Antanaru said:
Uhh you really need this spoonfed to you? It is pretty fucking obvious with a lil thinking power.
Jan 6, 2018 12:23 PM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
Yes, it is a little complicate the order, if Knight, Emperor, King and other!!!
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Grancrest Senki Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 2, 2018

489 by DesolatePsyche »»
Mar 26, 1:04 AM

Poll: » Grancrest Senki Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 16, 2018

146 by Leniam »»
Feb 27, 6:52 AM

Poll: » Grancrest Senki Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 2, 2018

61 by nick_el_son »»
Feb 24, 1:00 PM

Poll: » Grancrest Senki Episode 22 Discussion

Icedout15 - Oct 25, 2018

5 by phantom346 »»
Feb 3, 8:12 PM

Poll: » Grancrest Senki Episode 24 Discussion

ToG25thBaam - Aug 8, 2018

37 by Princesanatankum »»
Jan 29, 5:15 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.