Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (11) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jan 5, 2018 4:46 AM

Oct 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
That was a really well done ending. I think the pacing might have been a bit too fast for some, but I for one liked it a lot. Could see this being polarizing among anime fans who go into it without prior knowledge to Go Nagai works and with Netflix advertising for it pretty decently I expect some varied opinions.

From what I know of the manga they seemed to have adapted it faithfully for the most part, as far as events go. They might have played out differently but I think thematically it fit for what they were going for. I hope the relationship between Yuasa and Netflix continues beyond this one anime.

8/10.
Jan 5, 2018 5:46 AM

Mar 2016
No, this wasn't an adaptation of the manga. Nor did they remain entirely faithful to the themes of the manga. They did adapt a few moments but changed them around, most of this was anime original.

Anywho, solid 7/10 anime. I really wish they would've left out some of the more juvenile stuff (i.e. the rappers, Akira's demon sex drive) but as a whole it was pretty good. I would honestly say the manga and its two OVA adaptations are far, far superior though. A lot of the nuances were lost. The only character that really got any meaningful development in this was Ryou. Ryou's relationship with Akira might be the only thing this anime does better than any other Devilman anime, since for once it does actually feel like they're friends.

I think the ending was kind of fumbled, although at the same time I did really enjoy the last two episodes. It didn't quite capture the apocalyptic feel and oppressive horror of the manga's final act.
rvbrickJan 5, 2018 6:32 AM
Jan 5, 2018 6:32 AM

Sep 2014
I was never a fan of Go Nagai's endings most of them were meaningless, rushed ending and unexplained...well its him

Nothing much to say cuz I already expected dat it would end like this. Like the 2 previous OVAs I enjoyed it nonetheless..I liked the animation style - reminded me of Tatami Galaxy
I lol'd when dat Devil dude started speaking japanese with an Indian accent xD

7/10 nothing unique but Good job Yuasa, especially for dem nipples, weird kamasu- i mean mature stuff....
TaichouSenpaiJan 5, 2018 6:51 AM

Jan 5, 2018 7:04 AM
Oct 2013
So I never read Devilman and went in watching this anime completely blind... It ripped my heart in half and tore it into pieces lmao that was absolute mindfuckery, in the best way possible. I wasn't expecting Ryo to be Satan and that end /end/ with Akira torn in half... I have to admit it did felt bit rushed (both 9 and 10, a lot happened in just two episodes) but it all came together nicely in the end
10/10 to be honest

The only thing that I didn't completely understand, did the world like "reset" at the final scene? Because that was the feeling I got.
Jan 5, 2018 7:28 AM

Dec 2013
deku2 said:
So I never read Devilman and went in watching this anime completely blind... It ripped my heart in half and tore it into pieces lmao that was absolute mindfuckery, in the best way possible. I wasn't expecting Ryo to be Satan and that end /end/ with Akira torn in half... I have to admit it did felt bit rushed (both 9 and 10, a lot happened in just two episodes) but it all came together nicely in the end
10/10 to be honest

The only thing that I didn't completely understand, did the world like "reset" at the final scene? Because that was the feeling I got.

Not sure, but I think the moons are the previous earths, because in the first info dump where we see the demon earth there was no moon present (I seem to remember it that way), so after the earth faced destruction the first time it became a moon and a new one took its place. That's what happened here, pretty sure.
Jan 5, 2018 8:00 AM

Jan 2016
Wow. This is the worst series- no, worst anything, Yuasa has ever done by far. I thought this would be great, I’ve never given any of his series less than a 9 and this gets a 5. A supreme disappointment.
GoldNautilusJan 5, 2018 8:04 AM
Jan 5, 2018 8:02 AM

May 2017
Fuck that was really powerful,
Quite literally everyone dies.
Ep 9 and 10 were really great.

Why Did ryo grew a pair of breasts??

A solid 8/10 for me,
Art and sound were 10/10 though.
If it would have had more sol moments would have given it a 10

Liked it way better than the other stuff made by science saru.
HagoramaJan 5, 2018 9:13 AM
Jan 5, 2018 8:16 AM

May 2017
CaptainZoro said:

I lol'd when dat Devil dude started speaking japanese with an Indian accent xD

Yeah lol, it seemed really weird, first time listening to that combination
Jan 5, 2018 8:19 AM

May 2017
deku2 said:

Yeah I am pretty sure it did. The number of moons meant the number of resets I think.
Jan 5, 2018 9:30 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
Incredible, all you watched the 10 episodes in just one day!!! ;)
Jan 5, 2018 10:37 AM

May 2016
God damn this was fantastic. Definetly among Yuasa's best. I'm still deciding if it's a strong 8 or light 9 but i loved it. I hope people realize that this way of releasing anime is way better as censoring this show would have made it way worse. Hopefully Netflix invests in more Science SARU projects.

8-9/10
Jan 5, 2018 12:16 PM

Nov 2011
The finale was great, filled with energy and momentum that I had hoped for.

Personally, I think this show did very well for what it had to work with. Haven't read the original manga yet so I went into this blind but I'm curious now. Really liked how they wrapped up everything together in the end.

Anyone know how many chapters this series adapted?
Jan 5, 2018 12:18 PM

Jun 2011
I wonder if they're also going to adapt the sequel. Although this wasn't 100% accurate to the original manga.
Jan 5, 2018 12:23 PM

Jun 2011
Stark700 said:

It adapted all volumes of the first manga. There is still a sequel though.
Jan 5, 2018 1:05 PM
Nov 2017
Theorder14 said:
Stark700 said:

It adapted all volumes of the first manga. There is still a sequel though.

Violence Jack ?
I would like to see this adapted and actually see Jack Vs Satan
Jan 5, 2018 1:18 PM

Jun 2011
Theorder14 said:

Violence Jack ?

No, i meant this one. It follows up this story.
https://myanimelist.net/manga/75719/Devilman_Tai_Yami_no_Teiou
Jan 5, 2018 2:01 PM
Nov 2017
Theorder14 said:
Theorder14 said:

Violence Jack ?

That one is a crossover, between Mangaziner and Devilman, there's other sequel, Violence Jack that is after the ending of Devilman but in a new universe.
Jan 5, 2018 2:04 PM

Nov 2017
Besides feeling like certain moments/characters could have been more fleshed out, I thoroughly enjoyed this, what a ride.
Jan 5, 2018 2:26 PM

Jun 2011
Centurionzo_12 said:
Theorder14 said:

That one is a crossover, between Mangaziner and Devilman, there's other sequel, Violence Jack that is after the ending of Devilman but in a new universe.

sure, but violence jack doesn't have much to do with this story. Yes, few characters from devilman pop up but they're not even the original versions. The one i posted at least still follow Akira as MC.anyways, better stop talking about it before i accidently spoil something.
Jan 5, 2018 2:35 PM

Nov 2016
Somehow I have mixed feelings about this show and the ending. I can't explain why, though. I thought that the execution of the devastating scenes were beautiful and well done, but it just felt like I knew that this was all going to happen and was able to say "I called it" with the whole Ryo thing from like episode 1. Or maybe its because I somehow ended up crying for Ryo in the end even though I didn't like him at all (for obvious reasons). It's sad to imagine a being that can't really feel any emotions discovering them only when it's too late. It's quite tragic, really.

I find myself wishing for a continuation of Ryo's story (I feel like he might have survived like the first time and moved to the "new earth"(?)) now that he's discovered some kind of feelings. I'd find it interesting to see a series where he's the protagonist and see any changes these events may have caused to him. Or maybe I'm just wishing for a happier ending. Darn I'm such a sappy person.

I know that there are continuations for this but I'm hesitant to read/watch(?) them because I'm afraid that it won't resolve any of these conflicting feelings.
Jan 5, 2018 2:35 PM

Feb 2009
as a fan of devilman this was very good. liked how this ending was more complete than the one in the manga. 9/10

hope the sequel, violence jack gets made by yuasa
Jan 5, 2018 2:42 PM

Dec 2010
CaptainZoro said:
I was never a fan of Go Nagai's endings most of them were meaningless, rushed ending and unexplained...well its him

Well the manga Devilman have a sequel, is called Devilman Lady where the story continue from there and explain a lot of more things (with a reboot of course since the Earth was destroyed in the last battle). So if you want to see more you have to read the source material. Of course if you don't like Go Nagai you will hate it too. Go Nagai is a very odd artist that belong to the past, different times, different people, also is very bad at drawing, is very difficult for me to digest it too, the strong points of his mangas was the story based completely on the italian poem Divine Comedy.

Regarding this adaption, is so so, they change too much parts even if the main plot is the same, also the animations was really subpar and confused in some scenes (seems a homemade flash CGI). The character design however was very good and more close to the manga.

But for me, the bast adaption of Devilman was the 2 oav released in the 1987 and 1990 (The Genesis and Selen), gargeous animations and very good character design, too bad they do not go further and stopped there. The anime of Devilman Lady also is crap and very different from the source material.
Devilman franchise always suffer from manga to anime adaptions.
Fn76Jan 5, 2018 2:57 PM
Jan 5, 2018 2:56 PM

Nov 2015
This was a very good hentai.
Me likely. (:
HACKs! 🤢🤮
Jan 5, 2018 3:00 PM

Aug 2014
As an original's work fan. I think this did better than manga in a lot of ways, very well done work by Yuasa. I love this guy.

Well adapted to our era too. Miki was a lot more meaningful character here. I'm very satisfied with this anime.
Jan 5, 2018 3:02 PM

Jan 2018
Let me applaud Yuasa...
Jan 5, 2018 3:16 PM
Dec 2016
That ending was almost the same as The End of Evangelion ending. Or am I the only one who thinks that?
Jan 5, 2018 3:27 PM
Nov 2017
Feykro said:
That ending was almost the same as The End of Evangelion ending. Or am I the only one who thinks that?

In Evangelion some people survive and there's hope that some can be brought back, here everyone is dead and there's no more hope, but yeah is similar
Jan 5, 2018 3:52 PM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
Marvelously done. I came in with high expectations and I wasn't disappointed. Not only did it improve on the manga, but it also made it much more emotionally impactful and gave us more well-established characters. Akira and Ryou's relationship was done much better than the manga, making this ending all the more powerful. Even supporting characters like Miki got better development. And the anime-original characters like Koda and those rappers were actually pretty good despite their limited screen time. And the themes of the manga are still present in Crybaby, and it feels much more relevant to us in this adaptation because it's a modern take on it. And Yuasa's directing and sense of style only added to the series.

Is it perfect? No. There's probably two gripes I had with the series. Although it's visually stylish, some scenes can look pretty ugly, and it's not because of stylistic reasons. But the production values are much better by the end. The last two episodes were visually stunning. Secondly, I feel like the revelation behind what Ryo truly is could've been done better. The manga always had a thing for "tell, don't show". The manga kept on forcing and pushing its themes in, and it felt a bit forceful (like how Akira kept on repeating how humans are acting like devils). The anime did a better job of keeping it concise (Akira only mentions it once and kills everyone in sight in pure frustration). However, not all vagueness pull off too well. Ryo being Satan was a but more clearer in the manga. But other than that, this adaptation is much, much better than the manga. And the story feel much more complete in this adaptation. The manga felt a bit rushed by the end.

9/10

Feykro said:
Anno said that Devilman inspired him to make the ending of Evangelion like that.
Jan 5, 2018 3:57 PM

Aug 2009
I enjoyed it but the earlier episodes and the bad direction on key scenes bring it to a 7.
Jan 5, 2018 4:28 PM

Mar 2014
Oh god. This was excellent. I really started sobbing in the end, Ryo and Akira's relationship was marvelously portrayed. Although I am a bit sad that Ryo didn't outright say that he loves Akira, I think it was quite obvious and emotional. The music and the voice acting were astounding. Great job, I watched this in one go and I was moved to tears both during Miki's speech and during the ending with Ryo and Akira (I remember this was intense even in the manga but this was a lot deeper). It had its faults, like the fact that the romance and homoeroticism weren't textual despite the modernisation, removing the reason why Ryo's plan was to make Akira strong in order to survive, and in general the fact that this could have been a lot better if it was 12 episodes instead of 10 due to the unsteady pace at some points but goddamn it ratings are never objective and I enjoyed the heck out of this. 10/10, I applaud Okouchi, Yuasa, the VAs and the music composer.

Now if you'll excuse me I'll go cry myself to sleep
Jan 5, 2018 4:48 PM
Jul 2018
This was truly a breath-taking experience for me!!!(ENG dub was great too). Everything what was great on manga was adapted very masterfully imo and bad part like rush got fixed too in the anime. I think this show can be best to be enjoyed finishing the manga beforehand watching this because of many confusing parts (personally I think some critical part of the manga not shown in anime explicitly).That is why I can understand that why some might find this generic.

In any case, 10/10 from me(yay! after along time ^_^). Exceeded my expectation at most times and couldn't ask for more! But excess nudity was bit too disturbing sometimes(i am not sure if lessening this could make the show better). And the ending was soo sensational and mind blowing! [(quite quite quite reminds me of EoE movie too!) [I cried so hard its feels like I was the one crybaby!! ;_;] Although quite wished happy ending different from original's ending (feel so bad for Miki.. ;_;) But this ending afterall irreplaceable of what Go Nagai made back then 1970s and more like realistic.. Perhaps got myself aoty this early already?

removed-userJan 5, 2018 4:55 PM
Jan 5, 2018 5:09 PM

Feb 2008
As a huge fan of Devilman ever since I saw the kinda terribly dubbed versions of the OVAs some 17 years ago, that pleased me.

Whilst in a perfect world I still would have liked something that looked more like Nagai's artwork and had more lavish production budget, it did a very good job translating most of the story. I didn't feel the changes really changed the meaning or power of the story at all, and some of the original characters were great.

It's Devilman, it's 10/10, it's pretty much one of the best stories I've ever known, and indeed, this adaptation didn't compromise at all on the content.
Jan 5, 2018 5:55 PM
Dec 2012
man, it was really bad, they fucked uo so many things, so much things... to see people praising it, oh ignorance...

they fucked up all way through, from the beginning to the end. Changed events, order of events and the consequences... The ending was exposition bomb in its fullest, things that should be said in the beginning was said in the end.

I will still wait for a better devilman anime, good thing that we had C009vsDM some years ago.
Jan 5, 2018 6:09 PM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
lemostr00 said:
man, it was really bad, they fucked uo so many things, so much things... to see people praising it, oh ignorance...

they fucked up all way through, from the beginning to the end. Changed events, order of events and the consequences... The ending was exposition bomb in its fullest, things that should be said in the beginning was said in the end.

I will still wait for a better devilman anime, good thing that we had C009vsDM some years ago.
It was never supposed to be a 1:1 adaptation. It's simply a modern retelling of the story of Devilman. They didn't fuck up anything. If anything, it's just that you didn't get what you want. But that doesn't change the fact that we got what we wanted. Tbh, Devilman's manga was lacking in certain parts, which this anime fixed up. One major thing the manga failed at doing was making Akira and Ryo's relationship and friendship real and believable. Not to mention that Miki felt more relevant in Crybaby. That wasn't possible in the manga because Ryo was barely there and had no depth to him. At least in Crybaby, there's more focus on him. And the manga is heavier on exposition for every damn thing. The first scene with Ryo in the manga was just info dumping. At least the anime didn't waste to much time on that. Literally every other scene was just Akira mentioning the fact that "humans are acting as devils", when in Crybaby, he only mentions it a couple of times because the viewers already get the point. Only the ending had a bit of exposition, but it was necessary stuff. It's not like as if the manga's ending was better because it just cut to the conclusion. Shin Devilman had to fix up that mess.
Jan 5, 2018 6:15 PM
Jul 2016
I went into this expecting a series like Fist of the North Star, some rad, awesome action show. Maybe more violent or graphic, but in the same vein. This was not that. But what it is, is one of my new favorite animes. Holy shit, it went from good, to great, to fantastic! I can't decide if it's a 9 or a 10, but right now I'm feeling a 10/10. Now I have to go read the manga!
Jan 5, 2018 6:30 PM

Aug 2016
lemostr00 said:
to see people praising it, oh ignorance...

dude drink something, u cant stand up
Jan 5, 2018 7:39 PM

May 2015
I have not read the manga. Yuasa is one of my favorite directors. I went into this with high hopes purely based off of him, and while he's most certainly not the only reason for weaknesses the show may have, even he disappointed me. Time to just ramble a bit.

To stay relevant with Yuasa, the visuals for this show were not as good as I expected them to be, which is the one thing I could want from Yuasa. While this is very much his style, it feels a lot more subdued and limited, like he's not putting his full creative effort into the visuals like he did with Lu Over The Wall. The animation wasn't particularly impressive (at times the animation was nice, but these were some rare bits of sakuga, not representative of the whole show), and many scenes felt like they deserved more visually. Comparing this to every other Yuasa directed thing I've seen (The Tatami Galaxy, Ping Pong: The Animation, The Night is Short, and Lu Over The Wall), the visuals feel lacking. Though I still think they are decent overall.

The soundtrack is eh to me, some tracks are nice but overall I wasn't particularly impressed by it. I don't think it's used especially well either. The rap bits are god tier though.

This show has a lot of sexual stuff in it, and it doesn't really mean anything in the series. Same with the violence, there's a lot of it, but it doesn't really have any impact. After the first episode, all the sexual stuff in the show doesn't make me think "oh whoa ho ho what is this" because it's just par for the course, and most of the time I'm not a fan. Stuff like Akira sexualizing Miki in his head, the sex scene with Silene, and this weird out of nowhere rapemurder with Miko (lowkey hot tbh) was distasteful in my eyes. Compared to regular sex imagery everywhere or stuff like the gay dude rapemurder which feels more in groove with the show.

Story and character wise, the show feels really messy. There are a fair amount of characters that don't really mean shit in the show (the only characters that actually matter any sort of amount are Akira, Ryo, Miki, and to an extent Miko). Most of these characters do not have enough time to leave any sort of significant emotional connection with them, since everyone ends up dying in the end. The relevant characters don't help the situation either. Akira is just a pure "I'm a human! The thing that isn't humanity is evil, and they suck! I want to protect people" kinda dude and there's not much else to him. He doesn't even have a real struggle with any sort of demonic side (there's this weird lust he has during the Silene section but that's it), which is sort of the point in a way since he is a Devilman not a demon. At the same time though, this means that his character doesn't really go anywhere. Compare this to say Shinichi from Parasyte where this aspect of his character is an essential part of his character arc, and why he is a good character. Sure, Devilman may have come first, but does coming first mean anything if your writing quality is unimpressive in the future? I feel this is less the fault of the manga's writing and more the fault of the script writer for this show.) A scene that's supposed to be really big is Akira stating that humanity are the true devils, "Go die, you mortals!", but it feels pretty weak. Ryo is just a disappointment, at first he was intriguing but at the end it didn't really matter because hey lmao he was SATAN the entire time folks! That's the reason he did everything ever, he's just satan. What could have been a genuinely interesting character was doing everything because of faith anyways.

The story is a mess, the whole "humans are killing each other because of panic and hysteria!" schtick was overblown in the later acts of the series. A fair amount of the time there are just some weird scenes. Like the scene with Miki's dad and his son and wife, or how one episode ends with a cliffhanger of Ryo being shot but it was actually someone else shooting at Miko for some reason which is paid no mind. Also that's the person that kills her and holds up her head in his spike thing which is weird. There's a lot of focus on stuff that doesn't really leave a big impact like Akira's parents, Silene and Kaim, and again, the hysteria aspect. All it does is make the people in the story not murdering everyone look better for not doing those things, and makes it more tragic when they eventually die. Everyone dying at the end is bold sure but it doesn't mean much. I at least thought the final battle with Akira vs Satan looked cool, but I don't really like that they showed the final result with him dead later. I'd rather them have actually fought it out, and see Satan deal the finishing blow without him realizing Akira's dead. Then do the rabbit scene I guess, Satan realizes it, oh shit it's god rip satan.

TL;DR: Story is messy and annoying at times, characters are quite bleh, audiovisuals were not as impressive as I was hoping it to be. 4/10 show.
-Rainy-Jan 5, 2018 7:53 PM
every single one of my forum posts is dumb and invalid except for 1, I don't claim them it was a different person it was all fake
Jan 5, 2018 8:04 PM
Mar 2016
Well somebody's put on the reality filter...

10/10 for me. And one of the most interesting OST I've heard in a long time in an anime.
Jan 5, 2018 8:14 PM

Jan 2016
Feykro said:

Anno has constantly cited Devilman as the inspiration for Eva's ending, and Crybaby's ending is pretty much straight from the manga, but with added flashbacks, so that's probably why

Anyways the last 4 episodes were great, but the first half was kinda meh. Most of the first half tried to adapt the manga but never got it quite right. It only really got interesting in the second half when it did it's own thing, though they did nail the manga's ending
Retro_ChocolateJan 5, 2018 8:20 PM
"I'm gonna move it today! The mountain! The galaxy! Listen to my song!"
-Nekki Basara, Macross 7
Jan 5, 2018 8:46 PM
Nov 2014
This series mentally fucked with my head. It was good and all but a little intense which is good at times I guess. Now I need to watch some Gintama to lift my spirits haha. Devilman was quite depressing and very disturbing lol. I recommend this anime only if you are older and can handle very fucked up shit. with all of this said I will never watch this again haha.
GrayStiJan 5, 2018 9:19 PM
Jan 5, 2018 8:55 PM

Mar 2011
What an amazing experience. I missed so much these old school anime and unforgivable seinen brutality regarding the demons thematic. A big thank you to Netflix for making this possible. At first i was not sure about the art style but it eventually grew on me, especially with the epic animation in the second part of the show. It's indeed a sad and fucked up story that knows how to summon the feels train and still be able to deliver in the action department as well as making me in awe with those final twists regarding Ryo and the apocalypse. Really powerful show and a nice change from the usual anime stuff that is trending today. Also loved the OST. Especially the main theme often used in the ending. Need that asap!!
First Castlevania and now this. I can only hope the next Netflix original anime - B: The Beginning - can continue these wave of fresh air within the industry.

Btw, it was really clever from the author using the creation of the moon to mark the end of the demon era and then using it again to end the human age by making two moons instead. I liked that final picture a lot. In a way it reminds me of the Impacts in Eva
Jan 5, 2018 9:39 PM
Apr 2013
Hagorama said:
Fuck that was really powerful,
Quite literally everyone dies.
Ep 9 and 10 were really great.

Why Did ryo grew a pair of breasts??

A solid 8/10 for me,
Art and sound were 10/10 though.
If it would have had more sol moments would have given it a 10

Liked it way better than the other stuff made by science saru.

Because angels are genderless (female and male)
Jan 5, 2018 9:53 PM

Jan 2017
The final episode was fantastic! Binge-watching this anime has been quite the pleasant experience. I think I'll have the Main Theme from the OST stuck in my head for a while though. lol

9/10
Jan 5, 2018 11:35 PM
Dec 2017
Loved it!! It was sad though
Jan 6, 2018 12:33 AM

Feb 2014
Damn, well that was something, I'll tell you what!

Wow, I'm just shocked on what this anime turned out to be. I've never read Devilman before or watched the old animes, so this was my first introduction and I have to say that I'm impressed.

The symbolism in this show ran deep.

The difference to me between the first half and the second half are pretty jarring, and I don't mean that in a bad way. Both were just so different. Akira is learning to deal with his abilities in the first half and we're getting all used to the world and characters, and then suddenly Ryo unleashes hell on earth by revealing the demons to the public. Things started to move fast, but not in a way where I thought it was rushed. The apocalypse came quick and shit just continued to hit the fan. Everyone that we were introduced to slowly died off one by one and the world started to eat itself. The anime I felt like gave off this feeling that the end was near and there was nothing the characters could do about it, but in the end we get to see everyone's true selves. Everyone was revealed for who they were: we got to see who really were the demons and who really were the devilmen.

I also loved the character development that all the main characters went through. It was brief, but satisfying and it served a greater purpose to the overall message of the show. To me this anime seemed like an unpacking of human nature and the evil within, and that in the end, no one wins in war.

I thought how this anime handled sex and sexual desire was very interesting and pretty open, especially in the first half. Like, there was so much of it, but the way it was handled never really bugged me. I can't really put my finger on it, but it felt in place with the rest of the show? This show is gory and has a lot of sex, it just seems like the two fit together. Also I felt like the sexual nature of the show fit in with the juxtaposition of demons and humans, and was just another element the two shared.

But some of my favorite scenes had to be in episode 8 and 9 when Devilman was able to convince everyone to put down their weapons and was able to calm everyone down with just his words. Plus what Miki said on instagram that it doesn't matter what you are, as long as you have a good heart. Then Miki's father trying to protect his son even after learning he was a demon. And finally Miko and Miki's death scene, talk about depressing.... fear ended up killing them :( Those were some powerful moments.

Not to mention the animation and music was awesome. The artstyle I thought was a good choice, I found it unique and liked it.

Overall, I really liked this show and I'd say this was a good start for Netflix for their first actual original tv anime.

8/10
Jan 6, 2018 12:53 AM

Jan 2014
even though it wasnt perfectly faithful adaption of the manga THE FEELS ARE STILL AS STRONG!! IT GOT ME!!
Sonic X is basically an isekai
Jan 6, 2018 1:01 AM

Jun 2014
This manga was published in the same magazine that published Fairy Tail, and is currently publishing Seven Deadly Sins......just let that sink in for a second. There's such a radical difference between the tone of those series and this one. I would have expected this to be in a seinen magazine.

Holy shit, this show was fucking brutal. I think I've gotten so used to happy-ending shounens that I was honestly expecting....well, a happier ending. Literally everyone died. Like, fucking EVERYONE. Episode 9, with all of Akira's friends and colleagues getting killed by that angry mob, was probably the standout episode. I was expecting a last minute save by Akira, but nope. This show was NOT fucking around.

I feel like the pacing of this could have been better, but that's just me, personally. A couple more episodes probably could have done this show a favor, or if they wanted to stay at 10, each episode could be 40-50 minutes. Whatever, overall this was a pretty decent show, and even with the pacing issues and other problems I had with it, I still found it mostly enjoyable.
thebrentinator24Jan 6, 2018 2:32 AM
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Jan 6, 2018 1:04 AM

Jan 2014
lemostr00 said:

EH... but the 3rd devilman ova wasnt even any good, it completely ruined the direction towards the springing of THE FEELS no mater how good the 1st ova did the satisfaction of a faithful adaption of the manga was never there so to think that we this time actually did get an adaption that DID bring these feels out that you could find in the manga satisfies me alot even though i did see the animation as dull at first and some characters were new or different. changes thankfully doesnt always kill something thats originally good completely.
Sonic X is basically an isekai
Jan 6, 2018 2:07 AM
Jul 2018
the ending was excellent,although i enjoyed the first half of the show more

wanted to give this an 8,but decided to raise it to 9 because of the soundtrack
Jan 6, 2018 4:41 AM

Aug 2010
Dat fight! Dat animation! esp when AKira was Gattai'ing with other demons and falcon punched Ryo like that. DAYUM!

Really fun binge. 9/10
Pages (11) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Have a small doubt!

Jai_akash - Yesterday

5 by catfelix »»
Yesterday, 6:01 PM

Poll: » Devilman: Crybaby Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

lordzeru - Jan 5, 2018

92 by Fortress_Maximus »»
Mar 6, 2:54 PM

Poll: » Devilman: Crybaby Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

lordzeru - Jan 5, 2018

159 by Isca_Riot »»
Mar 5, 8:20 AM

» Why do people love it so much ( 1 2 )

Bardocen - Sep 18, 2021

53 by xONLYINHUMANx »»
Feb 18, 6:31 AM

Poll: » Devilman: Crybaby Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

lordzeru - Jan 5, 2018

97 by Floral_soap »»
Feb 8, 3:08 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.