Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jan 5, 2018 5:52 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Well this was quite something. The OP song is dark and eerie as I had expected but definitely works for this show.

At first, I didn't think the art style would work for this anime but it does seem to with a character like Souichi. The anime's chereography really takes advantage of the motions and movements of the characters. Tbh, I think this show is really entertaining. Really liked the mixture of the storytelling segments. That doll thing gave me the creeps. (I wish that segment was longer)
Stark700Jan 5, 2018 8:11 AM
Jan 5, 2018 6:16 AM

Sep 2017
I was really worried about the art style,but it turns out it was actually okay,i guess it fits in with the story,it fits in with the horror atmosphere,
The op is good,nothing that really stands out but still good.
I didn’t expect it but theres a little comedy/humour in this first episode,I thought it was going to be very serious but i kind of like it like this.
There isnt much to say from the first episode so im really excited to watch and talk about the next one.
tookawaiiiJan 5, 2018 12:19 PM

"those who aren't able to find a more miserable person than themselves turn to the internet and call others losers,even though they've never met"- Satou from nhk
Jan 5, 2018 7:23 AM
Nov 2017
Sorry for the newbie question but where did you guys watch this ? I've got 4 sites bookmarked and its on none of them yet .
Jan 5, 2018 7:52 AM

Dec 2016
A really entertaining first episode. I was pretty scared for this show coming in because Ito Junji's works are seemingly pretty hard to put into animated form, but if they can keep up the solidness of this episode throughout the show it should be a pretty ok adaptation
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Jan 5, 2018 7:56 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
For me, this first episode was a surprise!!!
Positive surprise, right ;)
Jan 5, 2018 8:23 AM

Jul 2016
I really liked it but it was...unexpectedly really fucking funny.
Jan 5, 2018 8:24 AM

Mar 2017
Seems like a pretty solid adaptation. I was happy to see some body horror in the first ep, and I also like how the ending is somewhat interactive with the characters popping out behind the trees. I do hope they build up the scares as the series continues.
Inuyashiki is the Best Mecha ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Jan 5, 2018 8:26 AM

Mar 2017
yuurishibooty said:
I died at the spider reaction.

Jan 5, 2018 8:34 AM

Jun 2016
yuurishibooty said:

Most of the stories involving a young Souichi are hilarious. The kid is incredibly petty and loves to troll others.

°˖✧◝(⁰▿⁰)◜✧˖°
Jan 5, 2018 8:37 AM

Jul 2016
I'd watch an entire slice of life anime about Souichi
Jan 5, 2018 8:43 AM

Mar 2017
yuurishibooty said:
I'd watch an entire slice of life anime about Souichi
Souichi for Best Anime Girl 2018

Jan 5, 2018 8:46 AM
Oct 2017
Probably the first few to think that the first episode was utter trash. The main character for this episode was seen to be creepy but that is not the reason why I just dislike this character...
Here are my reasons for disliking the main character and thus episode 1:
1) cursing the characters around him without any reason... He does not have any grudge against them but he simply places curses on people for the sake of doing it which I find really retarded and meaningless.
2) his personality is annoying and pisses me off more than creeping me out, which should be how the episode should deliver.
However, on a side note, having a sneak peek into episode 2 really hyped me up since I have read the part of the manga and I feel that it might actually be a good adaptation.
Jan 5, 2018 8:49 AM

Jun 2016
Love the OP. Hoping that they don't screw this up, I really need a good horror anime.
Help the industry and buy Blu-rays and DVD's.
Noragami is the best anime ever.
Jan 5, 2018 8:49 AM

Jun 2015
This was a really creepy episode. The OP is pretty good. Souichi is messed up in the head. He sure does likes to curse people for no apparent reason. What a douchebag.
Jan 5, 2018 8:51 AM

Mar 2016
that was really really weird. like it was entertaining but i'm not sure how i feel about it. i liked the doll segment

Hmmmmmmmm said:
Sorry for the newbie question but where did you guys watch this ? I've got 4 sites bookmarked and its on none of them yet .

it's on crunchyroll
Jan 5, 2018 8:53 AM

Sep 2011
This was... a lot more dark comedy and less horror than I was expecting from Junji Ito. It was pretty funny and I enjoyed that, but it's not really what I'm looking for in this series, so I guess we'll see how the other stories go. The doll thing at the end could have benefited from getting more time and been really interesting. Excited to see where this goes.

Of course the toad died though... he stuffed it in a sealed container with no air holes. Brat.

It doesn't seem to be listed on the characters/staff list yet, does anyone know who voiced the crotchety old land owner? He sounds really familiar, but I can't quite place it.
"EVERYBODY, CLAP YOUR HANDS!"

"PLUS ULTRA!"
Jan 5, 2018 8:54 AM

Dec 2015
I was expecting more horror..and gore...and shots like this.

A bit of a disappointing first episode.
Jan 5, 2018 8:56 AM

Sep 2011
Hmmmmmmmm said:

As @Vacu0us said, it's available on Crunchyroll. Should be available at 7:30am ET every Friday.
"EVERYBODY, CLAP YOUR HANDS!"

"PLUS ULTRA!"
Jan 5, 2018 9:03 AM

Jul 2012
I was expecting a lot more, we may see the common issue of manga horror not translating well into anime.

"There are three things you can never get back: The word after it's said, the moment after it's missed, and the time after it's gone."
-Koe no Katachi

Jan 5, 2018 9:11 AM

Jul 2012
THE OPENING IS SO GOOD! O/
I love how he is just chilling in the classroom window with some nails in his mouth. A tedious monday.
Souichi is one of the funniest characters I ever saw lol
"Most people put their children to rest when they turn into dolls" Hm, really? I didn't know it was such a normal occurrence lol
It was pretty fun to watch and the animation seems good :)
taynisJan 5, 2018 9:57 AM

Jan 5, 2018 9:16 AM

Jun 2017
Honestly pretty disappointed. I didn't understand the whole point of me sympathizing with Shouichi, he just didn't appeal to me. It also made me question if this is supposed to be a horror or a comedy... Anyway the preview of the next episode looks promising (if it really was a preview then)

Higurashi Gou is the worst anime in existence.
Jan 5, 2018 9:18 AM
Jul 2016
yuurishibooty said:
well junji itou has like this dark humour so yeah.
Jan 5, 2018 9:20 AM
Dec 2015
It was a pretty bad first episode, but I'm going to continue watching in hopes of it getting better.
Jan 5, 2018 9:22 AM
Jan 2018
Tomm01p said:
Honestly pretty disappointed. I didn't understand the whole point of me sympathizing with Shouichi, he just didn't appeal to me. It also made me question if this is supposed to be a horror or a comedy... Anyway the preview of the next episode looks promising (if it really was a preview then)

The Souchi chapters were supposed to be comedic in the manga, so it's to be expected. Also the one with the doll wasnt a preview, it was a really short oneshot (about 6 pages) in the manga. next episode however is hopefully going to be a more horror-ish story.
Jan 5, 2018 9:24 AM
Jul 2018
i haven't watched it yet
is there nudity and is this a short or regular ?
Jan 5, 2018 9:24 AM

Jun 2017
NiquiWithaQU said:
Tomm01p said:

The Souchi chapters were supposed to be comedic in the manga, so it's to be expected. Also the one with the doll wasnt a preview, it was a really short oneshot (about 6 pages) in the manga. next episode however is hopefully going to be a more horror-ish story.

Thanks for a bit of explanation, I really hope it turns out to be more horrorish than this,

Higurashi Gou is the worst anime in existence.
Jan 5, 2018 9:40 AM

Feb 2015
Man, the people who are disappointed that it was more dark comedy are either dense or clearly not avid enough Ito readers to realize that half of his works share that styling. This was a very good first episode and adapted the stories very well, but I'm even more excited to see what's adapted next. Good job Deen, I would say. They actually managed to capture half of Ito's mastery in animated form, which is damn impressive.
Jan 5, 2018 9:43 AM

Sep 2011
Adaption off to a good start albeit misleading cause its one of ito's comedy chapters, personally i always loved how stupid shoichi is and i think this did a good adaption of it. From the line up shown from the key art they are going to be adapting alot of ito's stronger works so the real test will be the next few weeks

yuurishibooty said:
Yeah shoichi is a dumbass, almost all his stories are played for laughs

Tomm01p said:
NiquiWithaQU said:

Thanks for a bit of explanation, I really hope it turns out to be more horrorish than this,
oh it absolutly will, ito's works are comedic in their absurdity but they have a tendency to get really phobia inducing and grotesque. The thing is ito's stories almost always dont take themselves that seriously but they tend to play themselves far more straightforward than the shoichi comedy chapters. Though i think you should get used to shoichi cause theres no way they arent going to adapt a few more of his stories.

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Jan 5, 2018 9:49 AM

Sep 2013
This show is terribly boring :v
If other stories have similar level, I drop this...
Jan 5, 2018 9:51 AM

Sep 2016
Well this was way funnier than i expected. Came for creepiness, will stay for humor (though the end with the doll was really creepy). I enjoyed it but at the same time i don't want this adaptation to make the manga seem like a laughingstock (i haven't read it yet).
Jan 5, 2018 9:54 AM

Sep 2016
this is just pure boring and not interesting at all
bette adapt uzumaki instead.
CrossAnge

Hey guys check my profile for current airing season anime recommendation (guaranteed best taste)
Jan 5, 2018 9:55 AM

Mar 2016
I was so hyped about this anime though its too soon to say something but i ll say that i am a little bit disappointed not about the art style but that it looked like i was watching a comedy and not that raw horror i was waiting full of disturbing things :/ I'm waiting for the second episode to see if its worth watching

Jan 5, 2018 9:57 AM

Sep 2011
TehManiac said:
I was so hyped about this anime though its too soon to say something but i ll say that i am a little bit disappointed not about the art style but that it looked like i was watching a comedy and not that raw horror i was waiting full of disturbing things :/ I'm waiting for the second episode to see if its worth watching
Well, you were watching a comedy thats why it felt that way.

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Jan 5, 2018 9:59 AM

Mar 2016
JizzyHitler said:
TehManiac said:

Yes true i read the posts so its okay i'm still expecting more of this anime

Jan 5, 2018 10:04 AM

Sep 2011
TehManiac said:
JizzyHitler said:

Yes true i read the posts so its okay i'm still expecting more of this anime
thats fair, its not proven itself to pull off ito till it adapts one of his horror stories, the long dream in particular is one thats confirmed to happen judging from the op that they absolutly cannot fuck up as that'd be unforgivable

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Jan 5, 2018 10:06 AM
Jan 2018
GangsterCat said:
this is just pure boring and not interesting at all
bette adapt uzumaki instead.

Uzumaki is one of, if not THE weakest work Junji put out. I personally think he's just not that good when it comes to longer sotries.
Jan 5, 2018 10:12 AM
Nov 2015
Not bad. It still looks better than many airing animes.

Though it is nowhere near the stylish manga, maybe it is too bright, the manga is black and white and has a brilliant, pulpy feel to it. The direction here is nothing to marvel at, the art style for the character (with thick outlines) look good, but the background scenes are meh.

The best pulpy anime adaptation of a manga is still Hakaba no Kitaro from Toei.
Jan 5, 2018 10:13 AM
Jul 2014
Wow this has 6.95 rating. People have no class.
Jan 5, 2018 10:18 AM

Jan 2013
The bathroom spider scene with Kawai was the creepiest. Giant spiders? FUCK NO

Souichi is one funny motherfucker with no luck at all.
Jan 5, 2018 10:25 AM

Nov 2017
I mean, I guess it was fun but... really? Out of everything they could have adapted, what a strange choice for a first episode.
Jan 5, 2018 10:35 AM

Aug 2015
So they've chosen one of his comedic chapters to start...interesting choice..it could trow people off.
Jan 5, 2018 10:41 AM
Dec 2015
This was surprisingly alright, adapting the story just like it was in the manga. The soundtrack isn't sadly working that well, it mostly feels like it was just thrown on top of the animation and isn't building the atmosphere as it should.
Oh and I really like the color palette, it's one of things that make it work.

I hope there won't be as much Souichi in the next episodes, his stories too character driven, which is Ito pretty bad at.
On the other hand, Hellish Doll Funeral was the Ito that we want. More short story adaptations please.
Jan 5, 2018 10:49 AM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
Well, that was rather funny than terrifying. I laughed a few times xD

Not sure if that was intended or not but i liked it just because it subverted my expectations for now.
Jan 5, 2018 10:57 AM

Jan 2013
Ito's mangas are pure masterpieces but when it comes to anime...
Damn it's just boring. Souichi is still my fav weirdo tho.

"Please stop talking about math when I'm eating."
Jan 5, 2018 11:03 AM

Jan 2016
Really loved this episode, I will continue watching it for sure
Jan 5, 2018 11:10 AM

Jan 2017
AnimEva said:
Man, the people who are disappointed that it was more dark comedy are either dense or clearly not avid enough Ito readers to realize that half of his works share that styling. This was a very good first episode and adapted the stories very well, but I'm even more excited to see what's adapted next. Good job Deen, I would say. They actually managed to capture half of Ito's mastery in animated form, which is damn impressive.

I think that a lot of disappointed people are newcomers who heard the greatest praises about junji ito and how he is the best thing that horror genre has to offer, and this is their first impression. I'm one of those people and this ep was kind of a let down for me.
Jan 5, 2018 11:14 AM

Dec 2017
Shouichi story is the easiest, lightest body type horror (and pretty comedic) story to understand from all of Junji Itou works, the bad thing is, it has a lot of chapter, it can't be explained clearly just with 1 episode. it will ruin the audience expectations.

if studio deen want more powerful first episode, they should come with Dissolving Classroom or Red String, now that's a gem. simple yet terrifying.

Shouichi story is not one-shot manga, i dont know why they start with that, but i guess this story really brings up the tension bit by bit, because we all know the rest of the one-shot is straight fucked up, i guess this story is good for introduction.

pretty good so far, the artsyle is very good with those thick lines and the dark color pallete really brings out the horror-ish aura. looking forward to the next
InukanuraJan 5, 2018 11:30 AM
Jan 5, 2018 11:23 AM
Nov 2017
I liked the OP and the episode itself was creepy as hell. Definitely going to continue this.
Jan 5, 2018 11:25 AM

Jul 2009
Holly molly, that opening was a tease x.x
I love Souichi's stories, but I really hope they adapt more of the one-shots like they did with Hell O'Dollies.
Nice start overall, makes me want to re-read Ito's collections again.
Jan 5, 2018 11:26 AM

Feb 2015
holiday498 said:
I think that a lot of disappointed people are newcomers who heard the greatest praises about junji ito and how he is the best thing that horror genre has to offer, and this is their first impression. I'm one of those people and this ep was kind of a let down for me.

Then just read some his iconic manga works dude, problem solved. As respectable as this adaption seems to be, absorbing his works in manga form is still the peak way to experience his stories. I wouldn't bother watching this series if you haven't first read a decent amount of his stories, but that's just me.

Also the fool who said Uzumaki is Ito's worst work: GFTO it's a damn masterpiece.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Is the blu ray version better?

Andru230 - Mar 27

2 by Andru230 »»
Apr 15, 9:42 AM

Poll: » Ito Junji: Collection Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jan 12, 2018

162 by Moxymoxymo »»
Mar 24, 12:03 PM

» Question for whoever has completed this series.....

Elbezo - Dec 11, 2023

5 by Koukyoukyoku »»
Jan 11, 7:03 AM

Poll: » Ito Junji: Collection Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 23, 2018

100 by Ayaraa_ »»
Nov 12, 2023 12:09 PM

Poll: » Ito Junji: Collection Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 16, 2018

74 by Giannaisokayish »»
Aug 8, 2023 8:17 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.