Forum Settings
Forums

Why is mainstream anime and the community so braindead?

New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Dec 28, 2017 3:51 AM

Sep 2017
Because we have our own tastes. Some people like it, others not. I admit it Super may not be a best show but I still like it.
Dec 28, 2017 3:53 AM

Feb 2016
Even the niche anime and their community are braindead. Time to abandon.
Dec 28, 2017 5:10 PM
Apr 2016
Here, let me pose a whole other, better question which will give you your answer. Have you ever heard of the words perspective and relativism? There you will find what yee are looking for. ;)
Dec 28, 2017 10:09 PM
Dec 2017
TheRenegader said:
Here, let me pose a whole other, better question which will give you your answer. Have you ever heard of the words perspective and relativism? There you will find what yee are looking for. ;)

But what happens when I bring up facts?
Dec 28, 2017 10:18 PM

Oct 2017
zal said:
North514 said:

There is really no "anime community" as you described it. Anime is a medium not a genre.
How is anime even a medium? Animation is the medium and the western use of anime has more of a "genre" connotation or "style" rather than a different stand alone medium. You don't call French cinema or Italian cinema a medium despite their stylistic differences with American cinema. Anime is the Bollywood of animation.

In Japan sure anime is a medium since it stands for animation in general, even Disney is anime in Japan.

Maybe not say a medium probably wasn't the best choice of words but it definitely isn't a genre I guess style makes the most sense.

Just wanted to get across the idea that having a Hollywood community for example would be ridiculous or classifying Hollywood or American movies as their own genre. Sure there are tropes and influences from Western/American culture in it ultimately however there are major genre differences that would split off a lot of groups with different tastes. This is also maybe a reason why the OP has different experience with comic book fans who are more hardcore and are focused on a specific genre compared to say anime or what an anime community would be composed of.
BilboBaggins365Dec 28, 2017 10:33 PM
Dec 28, 2017 10:26 PM

May 2009
Mkim said:
you making this rant just cause you don't have buds to do power comparison chat my guy?

This.

I'm reading the OP and then wondering how many of the responses are from people who just want to rag on anime and/or the fandom.

Because...OP is apparently seriously complaining that there is a lack of intelligence in power level discussions in anime.

I mean, seriously? You were expecting intelligence when discussing something as silly as power levels? (As a practical matter it'd involve more creativity than straight-up intelligence, anyway.)

But frankly put: in comic book fan circles you probably have relatively few "universes", and it seems popular to connect them, so you have more consistent bases for comparing power levels.

Anime series, on the other hand, are far more varied. Even amongst stuff where power levels would actually be relevant. The settings are often wholly incompatible, for starters. Asking to compare power levels between series is a much less interesting question when (1) there's so many and (2) they don't even make sense with each other.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Dec 28, 2017 10:34 PM

Dec 2009
GlennMagusHarvey said:

Because...OP is apparently seriously complaining that there is a lack of intelligence in power level discussions in anime.
Oh boy I could write a whole page on how that is NOT how the OP comes off. So much so that the whole power level rant in the last paragraph or two practically comes off as non-sequitur (sp?)
There is absolutely no reason why I should accept "turn your brain off" as a valid excuse to defend a poor show.

~

blatant ad: https://myanimelist.net/blog/Crusader_8 I spend the time to write it, so please read it lol
Dec 28, 2017 10:38 PM
Apr 2016
But what happens when I bring up facts?[/quote]

What facts? What was your data set? Where did you get your data? How was the data collected? How do you even know that what your saying is true?

All I'm saying is that experience is entirely subjective so there's no point in asking a question which has no concrete answer to speak of. You might as well ask why do people think differently? You'd get nearly the same exact answer. If you want to trick yourself into believing that the way you think about anime is more thoughtful and meaningful than go right ahead. All I'm doing is trying to show you a different way to think about things in the hopes that I can answer your question in a satisfying way.
Dec 28, 2017 11:05 PM

Dec 2009
HP_Azathoth1 said:

Do "facts" even count for anything in the wild world of fiction, where Marvel can just tell a writer to "write a story where [pathetically weaker character] defeats the hulk in a straight-up fight"? Do facts even count for anything when talking about power levels and who could beat who is a complete waste of time?
There is absolutely no reason why I should accept "turn your brain off" as a valid excuse to defend a poor show.

~

blatant ad: https://myanimelist.net/blog/Crusader_8 I spend the time to write it, so please read it lol
Dec 28, 2017 11:28 PM

May 2009
Crusader_8 said:
HP_Azathoth1 said:

Do "facts" even count for anything in the wild world of fiction, where Marvel can just tell a writer to "write a story where [pathetically weaker character] defeats the hulk in a straight-up fight"? Do facts even count for anything when talking about power levels and who could beat who is a complete waste of time?
It's not a waste of time if it's fun, but it certainly is pretty glaringly arbitrary, yeah.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Dec 28, 2017 11:35 PM

Dec 2009
GlennMagusHarvey said:
It's not a waste of time if it's fun, but it certainly is pretty glaringly arbitrary, yeah.
If fun is the only reason, then facts still wouldn't matter. Because if he were to hold facts to be important in such discussions, then it's likely he is caring more about whether he is right than whether it is merely fun to arbitrarily discuss power levels. And that's when it sort of becomes moot, especially in the comic book industry where characters' canon are constantly uprooted and rebooted. Or canon aside, how any fight is determined by who the company or writer *wants* to win and not actual canonical power. I suppose this intellectual struggle is just beyond me.

~

Dec 29, 2017 12:05 AM

May 2017
Wtf is wrong with people again a shitty thread? You think that the anime community is so braindead then why are you even bothering by posting a thread when you know people here r braindead ? ,Look people have different opinions and you should respect them and how can you say that something which makes people happy is foolish ?? You r the one who is foolish and pleasee I'm fed up with these posts =_=
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 29, 2017 4:01 AM
Aug 2016
With a title like that, I expected something better. OP, you let me down... :(
Dec 29, 2017 5:45 AM

Nov 2009
Thread created date: Dec 27

https://myanimelist.net/profile/HP_Azathoth1

You make a new account just to make this thread?
'America is a stolen country'
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SM8WZ0ztMuc

Zapredon said:
It doesn't matter if you like LoGH,Monster etc.If you are a jobless or college/school dropout living in your mom basement, you are still an unintelligent loser. Taste in anime does not make you a better person.

Totally agree!

Dec 29, 2017 6:10 AM

Feb 2015
King_Cobra said:
HP_Azathoth1 said:

>"Because of nostalgia many look past the mediocre writing. Dragon Ball Super has many flaws, but it still gets us hyped up at times like we did when we were kids."

That's pretty sad

>"Furthermore, if you want to discuss powerfull characters you shouldn't count any Dragon Ball characters. Because there simply isn't a more overpowered series."

Not even true.

Dragon Ball had its time, I mean it has been around since the 80s, so I don't see whats sad about having at least a decent ending and closure for us who have been following it since the beginning (when it was actually good).

Btw since you don't agree with Dragon Ball having the most OP characters, am I wrong to assume that you're sort of new to anime?
Anyways I'm actually interested to see which series you think has the most OP characters

GT already had the perfect ending and if anything Super tramples on the final arc in Z, by completely ignoring Vegeta's character developement at the end of the series.

The longer Super goes on, the more respect I lose for Toriyama to be honest...
Dec 29, 2017 6:42 AM
Jul 2018
Try watching Dragon Ball instead of Z, GT or Super.

The power levels are much more tolerable, the characters are better developed, and every human has a chance of matching (or even surpassing) Goku, through hard work and training.

It's only during the last arc of DB that the Power Creep starts setting in, and when Z came around, it just went full crazy. Especially after they introduced that "Super Saiyan" crap.
Dec 29, 2017 6:47 AM

Mar 2016
JonasTheJay said:
King_Cobra said:

Dragon Ball had its time, I mean it has been around since the 80s, so I don't see whats sad about having at least a decent ending and closure for us who have been following it since the beginning (when it was actually good).

Btw since you don't agree with Dragon Ball having the most OP characters, am I wrong to assume that you're sort of new to anime?
Anyways I'm actually interested to see which series you think has the most OP characters

GT already had the perfect ending and if anything Super tramples on the final arc in Z, by completely ignoring Vegeta's character developement at the end of the series.

The longer Super goes on, the more respect I lose for Toriyama to be honest...

GT was straight garbage! It had cool ideas with the overused dragon balls and the revenge of the truffles, but the execution was horrible. And Goku turning in to a kid?? GT's last episode was the only satisfying thing about it.

Super does not trample on Z's ending yet because the entirety of Super takes place between the ending of the Buu Saga and the last episode. But I do agree Toriyama is driving himself in a corner with all the shit he's pulling in Super, but I guess he doesn't care as long as he's making money off of it. Super's manga is good though.

And finally regarding Vegeta:
You should know by now how often Toriyama disrespects Vegeta, even stating multiple times he doesn't like the character (which HE himself created). At this point I rather he just kills off Vegeta. First he overpowers the Saiyans making the rest of the Z-fighters useless and now he doesn't even use the Saiyans properly. Goten and Trunks are none existent so far, while they were very interesting characters in Z. I wont even speak about Gohan. And Goku gets all the shine everytime in the most stupid way.

For me personally, it should all have ended after the Cell Saga.
We'll just have to see how Super turns out, but as of now I find it better than GT
Jan 6, 2018 1:59 PM
Dec 2017
Crusader_8 said:
People enjoy what they want, even if it's mainstream, and there's nothing wrong with that. Do you want people to watch things they don't like or aren't interested in?

As far as "braindead," there is no prerequisite for what people are allowed to enjoy or not enjoy. Why is someone less intelligent than you just because they enjoy Super? Does my enjoying super indicate my intelligence, or does it make me less intelligent? Am I suddenly unable to discuss epistemology or ethics theories based on which shows I watch to pass time? I'm deeply fascinated by your assertions here.

I don't have a problem with people liking mainstream stuff. Hell I like tons of things that are mainstream like music, shows, movies ect... but i'm not going to act like that's all there is to it. I know that there are tons of hidden gems out there. Comparing Dragonball (which is super grounded and generic show) to a show with a compelling story, better relatable characters, better writing ect... is just sad.

I never said they were less intelligent. I'm saying dragonball in itself is ridiculously braindead which most people are going to gravitate to because there's no thinking involved to understand what's going it. The show is incredibly simple and all the characters looked like something a 2 year old thought of.
Jan 6, 2018 2:04 PM
Jul 2018
The title and first two or three paragraphs really made me cringe. Oh boi, that sounds pretty stuck-up.
I also don't get why people like Dragonball (the original was kinda cute tho), but let them enjoy it. *insert random fun things are fun-meme here*
Jan 6, 2018 2:15 PM
Dec 2017
Maneki-Mew said:
The title and first two or three paragraphs really made me cringe. Oh boi, that sounds pretty stuck-up.
I also don't get why people like Dragonball (the original was kinda cute tho), but let them enjoy it. *insert random fun things are fun-meme here*

I thought cringe and anime went hand in hand?
Jan 6, 2018 2:42 PM
Jul 2018
HP_Azathoth1 said:
Maneki-Mew said:

With trolls, yes. ;)
Trolling here and there could be funny, but you are too obvious. I'm sorry that I have to tell you this.
Jan 6, 2018 2:56 PM
Dec 2017
Maneki-Mew said:
HP_Azathoth1 said:

With trolls, yes. ;)
Trolling here and there could be funny, but you are too obvious. I'm sorry that I have to tell you this.

That was clearly a joke. Besides that, i'm not trolling.
Jan 6, 2018 3:02 PM
Jul 2017
Contest: spot the elitist!
I got one!
Jan 6, 2018 9:08 PM

Dec 2009
HP_Azathoth1 said:

I don't have a problem with people liking mainstream stuff.

I never said they were less intelligent.

Do i really need to pick apart your original post to show you how much these two statements are contradictory to your original complaints?

~

Jan 23, 2018 5:43 AM
Dec 2017
MOB_ABOMINATOR said:
Wtf is wrong with people again a shitty thread? You think that the anime community is so braindead then why are you even bothering by posting a thread when you know people here r braindead ? ,Look people have different opinions and you should respect them and how can you say that something which makes people happy is foolish ?? You r the one who is foolish and pleasee I'm fed up with these posts =_=

It's been a while since I logged on but I do like this post. I didn't mean to come across as rude and "braindead' is probably the wrong term, I just wanted to understand while (most of the time) the shows, the music, the movies ect... with clearly the least amount of effort put into them always makes it to the top.

Clearly there's a connection. Anything that tries to be interesting or unique with a story that requires you to actually think to enjoy usually (unless with tons of luck) is always being downplayed, yet garbage like super that's incredibly bland and grounded that does nothing interesting gets all the praise.
Jan 23, 2018 5:52 AM

Jul 2015
@HP_Azathoth1 Boring alt account and boring bait thread. You'd be more credible with a list, and if you gave the answers you said you'd give when you wouldn't be too tired.
Watch better anime and find people who watch better anime?
Jan 23, 2018 5:53 AM

Dec 2016
Because masses can only digest static, pre-processed content which had been proven to be an attention and money magnet. Hence everything in popular shows is very similar/identical.

Why reinvent the wheel when you can take the bottom line of resistance?
Jan 23, 2018 6:14 AM

Nov 2017

"there can be no alchemical transmutation of metal unless the alchemist himself is in the process of transformation"
Jan 23, 2018 6:21 AM

Aug 2016
HP_Azathoth1 said:

Clearly there's a connection. Anything that tries to be interesting or unique with a story that requires you to actually think to enjoy usually (unless with tons of luck) is always being downplayed, yet garbage like super that's incredibly bland and grounded that does nothing interesting gets all the praise.

Super isn't getting "all the praise" in the slightest. Fans of the series may enjoy watching it (myself included), but even they will likely say that the original DB/DBZ is far superior. And tbh, besides the hardcore fans of the original, no-one else is really watching or even talking about Super...

The shows getting the most praise from people I speak to regularly are generally Violet Evergarden, Made In Abyss, Devilman:crybaby etc etc. These are the shows getting all the praise, not Super.
Jan 23, 2018 6:34 AM

Nov 2017
Maybe stop watching dragon ball and stop listening to what your friends recommend. Not everyone is braindead like your friends lol
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 23, 2018 12:43 PM

Oct 2017
Same reason why so many people praise Overlord and Log Horizon despite terrible pacing, huge exposition dump, weak plot, mediocre animation , and so on, but hey, it's a MMO setting so they love it.

Also while Japan pay little attention to many of those over-rated shonen jump anime, people here tend to suck on those the hardest, with the most watchers each season and absurdly higher average rating than most other shows. (Starting from 8.5 to 9)

But don't feel bad, Japan suck on fictional Idol's dick even harder, so they're not much better.
Jan 24, 2018 1:16 AM

Jan 2018
isn't it just you tryin' to be an elitist?
Jan 24, 2018 5:29 AM

Jan 2018
stop being an elitist, it'll help you in the long run
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Which season of Mob Psycho 100 do you guys prefer?

MillerEvans23 - 8 minutes ago

2 by deg »»
1 minute ago

» What is your most re-watched anime? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

54 by DoctorWasabi »»
2 minutes ago

» What anime do you refuse to watch since you have already read the source material?

Kushna - 9 hours ago

17 by -Shurit- »»
5 minutes ago

» The most beautiful series in visual/artistic aspect? Share your opinion :)

windyshadow - 8 hours ago

23 by Maroonedisback »»
6 minutes ago

Poll: » How many characters from MAL top-100 do you know and what is your opinion on them?

Shizuna - 17 minutes ago

3 by Daviljoe193 »»
10 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.