Forum Settings
Forums

Why must some/most female Anime characters always be sexualized/have exaggerated features?

New
Dec 26, 2017 2:24 AM

Dec 2017
Granted, not all anime feature these kind of characters but a lot do. This was exactly the reason why I hesitated to start watching Anime, because there was always this female character (be it young or old etc, and may I add, it's disgusting to sexualize young girls) that was sexualized in a way, or whom would have this moment where their breasts would unrealistically bounce.

I honestly don't want to start any arguments (and if you want to start one then make it logical, don't just rear off to using foul language just because you disagree with me. And tell me the reason why you disagree with me and not just because you may be a pervert/don't care how women are portrayed) But alas, everyone is allowed to have their own opinion.

And before anything happens, don't go calling me a feminist just because I find something wrong in the way women are portrayed.
I just want to know if anyone shares this frustration with me because how you always tend to see female characters in anime with exaggerated sized breasts, underwear shots, wears stuff that show a ton of cleavage etc, or those eyeroll moments when a girl falls on top of a guy and her chest is in his face or something.

It makes me wonder if some people actually only see them good to be featured for only these reasons? It's honestly discouraging. But at the same time, some women are to blame for this, constantly flaunting their bodies and such.

But I will say, It makes me very happy whenever I see a woman who aren't displayed like this. I like seeing strong, smart, cool, modest etc female MCs/side characters. I want people to like female anime characters for other reasons besides the fact that they shove their chests in your face.

I apologize for the rant. I'm glad I was able to steam and let out my frustrations. D:
Thanks for actually reading this far!
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Dec 26, 2017 2:30 AM
Community Mod
Peacemaker

Jan 2017
Then my friend, we are in the minority, and most viewers mainly care about the fan service. Most anime fans are male, and most of them are in their teens, and most of them have hormones (and most are attracted to girls). It is the perfect thing to attract that demographic.
anime-primeDec 26, 2017 4:29 AM
Dec 26, 2017 2:31 AM

May 2015
People like boobs. I do too but not so much in my anime.

The exaggerated features are essential to animation in order to accentuate motion, impact or just to make characters distinguishable since they don't have the amount of details and physiognomy real persons do.

Princess Tutu, Juuni Kokuki, Planetes, Seirei no Moribito, Uchouten Kazoku, Ergo Proxy.

I honestly don't want to start any arguments
Too late, you attacked fanservice on MAL with an account created like 10 days ago and this is is your first message: get ready to be lynched.

Oh wait...
But at the same time, some women are to blame for this, constantly flaunting their bodies and such.
zalDec 26, 2017 2:58 AM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 26, 2017 2:50 AM

Apr 2016
Why are you asking this on anime site ? And why are you asking this the anime itself ?

It's like asking why is water wet.
Dec 26, 2017 2:56 AM

Apr 2016
Dude, no one cares. Let us enjoy our lolis, ass and titties.
Dec 26, 2017 3:02 AM

May 2017
It appeals to the demographic, simple. I for one don't really enjoy excessive amounts of ass or tits but I don't mind it in general.
Dec 26, 2017 4:11 AM

Mar 2015
>most anime watcher is male, so it is normale to more cater towards them too
>fanservice does sale, but not a solely factor
>it can be ads for their lewd merchendise
>watch better anime
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Dec 26, 2017 4:17 AM

Jun 2010
Millireena said:
Granted, not all anime feature these kind of characters but a lot do. This was exactly the reason why I hesitated to start watching Anime, because there was always this female character (be it young or old etc, and may I add, it's disgusting to sexualize young girls) that was sexualized in a way, or whom would have this moment where their breasts would unrealistically bounce.

I honestly don't want to start any arguments (and if you want to start one then make it logical, don't just rear off to using foul language just because you disagree with me. And tell me the reason why you disagree with me and not just because you may be a pervert/don't care how women are portrayed) But alas, everyone is allowed to have their own opinion.

And before anything happens, don't go calling me a feminist just because I find something wrong in the way women are portrayed.
I just want to know if anyone shares this frustration with me because how you always tend to see female characters in anime with exaggerated sized breasts, underwear shots, wears stuff that show a ton of cleavage etc, or those eyeroll moments when a girl falls on top of a guy and her chest is in his face or something.

It makes me wonder if some people actually only see them good to be featured for only these reasons? It's honestly discouraging. But at the same time, some women are to blame for this, constantly flaunting their bodies and such.

But I will say, It makes me very happy whenever I see a woman who aren't displayed like this. I like seeing strong, smart, cool, modest etc female MCs/side characters. I want people to like female anime characters for other reasons besides the fact that they shove their chests in your face.

I apologize for the rant. I'm glad I was able to steam and let out my frustrations. D:

You should never watch To Love-Ru Darkness.

I'm ok with some level of fanservice, but Yuuki Rito makes it a job in itself.
LalakoboldslayerDec 26, 2017 4:29 AM
Dec 26, 2017 4:19 AM

Jul 2017
I don't mind anime characters be sexualized, because I like sexualized things, I won't complain about men or women or children being sexy in anime, but I'm not a big fan of exaggerated boobs too. However, I don't think exaggerated features are very prevalent in anime, this problem is much more serious in hentai.
Dec 26, 2017 4:23 AM

Nov 2014
because it brings views and money and people like it. duh.
Dec 26, 2017 4:35 AM

Jul 2017
Male characters are getting more and more pretty and muscular recently too, so that's not just a women thing anymore. Men are now victims of sexualization in anime too XD.
But again, that's never a bad thing for anime characters being hot. Men have To-love ru, and so women should have Free! . That's how I think about this issue.
I understand how people are not comfortable with sexuality in the form of drawing, but once you get used to it, they can are pretty good~
Dec 26, 2017 4:36 AM

Feb 2016
I don't think there's an anime with ugly fat womyn fitting for your taste, OP.
Dec 26, 2017 4:47 AM

Jul 2015
Millireena said:

That type of character is really only present in niche ecchi anime, and sprinkled across other anime. I would argue that a female character that is in control of her and in some cases others sexuality. Can represent her confidence/badassery.
Dec 26, 2017 4:47 AM
Sep 2017
I feel exactly the way you do.

I checked to make sure that he was still alive.
Dec 26, 2017 5:00 AM

Apr 2014
That sort of thing is more normalized and accepted in Japan. Most anime with varying degrees of fanservice also air during prime time television there, slightly censored or otherwise, while those kinds of shows would never air outside of something like Adult Swim in the west.
That being said, we have been sensitized to having a natural aversion to such things as westerners, especially if you're female. It's not your fault you don't approve of it, it's the fault of the culture and family that brought you up.
Most anime even if they're not ecchi will have large breasted women and overly short skirts, perfect hourglass bodies, etc. If you can't handle the fact that a female cartoon character is allowed to be attractive and doesn't have to align to things like modesty, maybe anime in general isn't for you.
Dec 26, 2017 5:11 AM

Mar 2016
It's just a trope used to entertain the male audience. You usually see things like this in shounen and harem anime. You need to check out the shoujo genre because since the target audience are young girls, the women are not sexualized at all (from what I've seen). And not all shoujo are childish, so dont let the genre deter you. I recommend Princess Tutu and Full Moon wo Sagashite.

Anime is great, and it's good you know what you dont like. You just gotta look for options without the fanservice bits is all.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 26, 2017 5:11 AM

Oct 2014
Well most Anime are catered towards guys.

And Guys are well.... guys.

And Guys do like to see Sexy girls/Women.
That is just how guys are (I am a guy to. Plus this does not go for all guys).

Just look at shows aimed towards girls, they (Mainly Shoujo romance and reverse harems) mostly feature Handsome men.

Plus a lot of Female characters are being liked for their personality already.
Dec 26, 2017 5:14 AM
Nov 2016
Japan loves their fanservice, that's why.

Dec 26, 2017 5:15 AM
Dec 2016
Many others before me explained better than I could, but I'd just like to add that it's actually pretty easy to find animes that avoid this.

Of course, you will very hardly find animes where women do not have physical attributes (unless it's some chibi stuff like Made in Abyss) at all, but there are a plethora where this is not focused (aka non-sexualized). As a rule of thumb I'd say well-rated animes on MAL and good seinen/josei are really keen on avoiding that.
Dec 26, 2017 5:23 AM

Jun 2009
Not only female characters get sexualized in anime. Have you heard of Free! ? Or Yuri on ice? Or all reverse harems? Guys get sexualized all the time in those types of anime.
I prefer to watch an anime that treats its female characters respectfully. However, if an anime is ecchi but it has a lot of things I like (for example Kiddy Grade) I forgive it.

There's a difference where female characters while being sexualized still have agency like in Black Laggon, Hellsing, Kill la Kill etc and where they have less agency and are used only for eye candy like in Highschool of the Dead, High School DxD etc.
Dec 26, 2017 5:32 AM
Apr 2017
As long as it serves the story.
Its fine if they are big chested but i dont like the way they dress them.
Dec 26, 2017 5:38 AM

Aug 2016
You should perhaps watch anime that isen't aimed at horny teens ?
There are plenty of anime without sexualized characters.
Dec 26, 2017 5:42 AM

Nov 2014
There's nothing wrong with real men and women being sexualized much less anime men and women, sexuality is a natural part of life and perfectly healthy especially when you compare it to all the violence in anime.
If you can handle someone getting killed in an anime which happens even in children's anime then you should be able to handle a cute girl wearing a bikini or a bit of side boob.
Forum Signature
Dec 26, 2017 5:45 AM

Oct 2015
Now that is a good question my friend. Pretty sophisticated question that has yet to be discovered.

But a researcher found that people like boobs, tits, ass and pussy. Like yours truly. Maybe it's that?

𝔚𝔞𝔫𝔫𝔞 𝔱𝔬𝔲𝔠𝔥 𝔶𝔬𝔲,
𝔚𝔞𝔫𝔱𝔦𝔫' 𝔶𝔬𝔲 𝔴𝔦𝔱𝔥 𝔞𝔩𝔩 𝔪𝔶 𝔪𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱

Dec 26, 2017 5:52 AM

Jul 2013
Well this kinda expected in Japan i guess. I mean anime isn't the only media does this some games from Japan does this by having the girls have their clothes ripped off like toliet paper.

Dec 26, 2017 5:57 AM

Nov 2014
I never quite understood sexualised anime characters on a personal level. Yet I understand why it's so popular.And I certainly don't like exaggerated physical features on anime characters.

Case in point, boobs. Most the time it's pretty flat or just grotesquely cowtits with not much in between and it's kinda gross .
I'm not a lolicon, you're just projecting your tendency to lewd 2D characters.

If your favourite character is Tsutsukakushi Tsukiko, you are my soul mate.

Been a long time since I've been here, I'll continue expressing myself freely and believe everyone should too.
My MAL Interview
Dec 26, 2017 6:01 AM

Sep 2017
I agreeee,i dislike fan service quite A LOT.
It makes the anime look stupid and silly as hell ^_^

"those who aren't able to find a more miserable person than themselves turn to the internet and call others losers,even though they've never met"- Satou from nhk
Dec 26, 2017 6:02 AM

Sep 2017
does it really matter? people are entitled to do whatever the fuck they want.
Edward Elric > your waifu

Dec 26, 2017 6:08 AM

Feb 2010
its part of media, close yourself in a dark cave without tv, magazines and internet if don't wanna see anything sexualized
Dec 26, 2017 6:11 AM

Mar 2015
Because it makes money. Simple as that.
Dec 26, 2017 6:24 AM

Jan 2010
Millireena said:

Preach!!!!!

Well to each their own but yeah, I'm 100% agree with you...

People can watch their anime for whatever reason, people can like a character for whatever reason... but it's just sad that so many female characters portrayed like that and most male watchers only care about the hotness of them instead of the character itself.

And when it's female turns to oggle and sexualizing male characters, they treat us like we're the worst thing ever that it's an abomination while they do it themselves all the damn time. They bash anime featuring sexualized males like it's the worst thing ever but when it's female that's being sexualized in anime then it's okay. Such hypocrisy.

Tbh I don't really care about such things. They will continue to produce more anime with sexualized female chars and it will continue to be that way. And I don't have problem with males that like it.

The only thing I hate about all this is the hypocrites.
Dec 26, 2017 6:25 AM
Jan 2013
You pretty much have the answer to why almost all girls in shoujo look like traps.....

Dec 26, 2017 6:55 AM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
People like seeing attractive characters sexualized, and in spite of what AD likes to say, it's not some kind of magic money printing machine and that is the only reason it ever exists ever, there are also people who genuinely want to create this kind of thing and actually want that to be a part of their product. People like sexy things.

Females like things they find sexy too, it's not like they're inherently asexual because they don't have a dick, and there are anime that offer some stuff up that alley as far as I know.

Millireena said:

this is just some talk about how you find sexualization of female characters offputting without saying much else

I am not an inquisitor trying to force everybody into appreciating panty shots and anime tits so I do care if you like it or not if you're not going to really talk about what your reasoning for being against it is, so moving on

Millireena said:

"I don't want to start any arguments, please don't insult me." If you actually talked about something meaty and substantial in this thread this wouldn't be egregious in the slightest, but you do nothing of the sort so now it's just a speed bump in reading your thread.

The only remotely interesting thing about your entire thread here is in this paragraph at the same time, though - "And tell me the reason why you disagree with me and not just because you may be a pervert/don't care how women are portrayed." That last part is completely linking your issue here to being a matter of you having a belief that sexualization of female characters being a disrespectful representation of females, is it not? Why is having sexy woman having their sexual assets portrayed in a way that emphasizes that disrespectful to women? Do you think of women as a collective hive mind where fictional characters are meant to stand for everybody with a vagina rather than just, y'know, viewing them as their own characters, so therefore having one sexualized female character who is treated more as a sex object is spitting in the face of people with pussies the world over?

What is the issue here, other than your extremist interpretations of the circumstances you're taking issue with, involving mitigating every aspect of every female character being sexualized aside from the fact that their tits bounce sometimes?

Millireena said:

Pointless addition. Literally nothing of value there, just saying something you basically said above and not to think of you as a feminist for your central issue and namedropping some types of fanservice. Mooooooving right along.

Millireena said:

Dumb generalizing speculation followed by a dumb sentiment (yes, I'm sure that if women who flaunted their sex appeal went away in real life, people would stop sexualizing female anime characters, no really, that's how it works, gg no re) so I'm just going to move on.

I do somewhat feel like a world run by you would be like the one portrayed in Shimoneta, though, to be honest.

Millireena said:

Cool. I like sexualization and ecchi and I like female characters for their personality too. It's not like it has to be one or the other. You can do both at the same time, you can do one or the other, whatever makes the character more appealing to you. There's characters I don't find well-sexualized or aren't sexualized at all and I like them well enough because of their characterization, just like there are characters who I like because I find them very physically attractive and the series they're in accentuates that well. There is nothing wrong with finding a character sexy, and there is nothing wrong with a series making use of a character's sex appeal.

If you think a character being sexualized makes her a lesser character by default, then the problem lies with you for mitigating everything about her personality and characterization in favor of a few scenes, and that's entirely separate from a character having little going on for her aside from her sex appeal,. When you're placing it in a broad, all-encompassing scale like your thread here is doing, then they're most definitely accounted for. You and people like you would be the ones ignoring characterization in favor of sexualization more than anybody else in this situation.

Millireena said:

You're welcome. Now can I have the time I spent reading and writing a response to this thread back, so that way I can put it towards something that isn't completely wasting my time?

ManabanDec 26, 2017 8:07 AM

Dec 26, 2017 7:13 AM

Jul 2016
It's hard to tell which anime you're referring to since your completed list mostly has either shoujo or anime with a lot of bishies. You can't make the fanservice heavy shows go away, just like mecha haters can't make the mecha genre go away. The best thing you can do is watch shows that have little or no fanservice. If you're worried that men think less of women as people because of the type of anime they watch, then that really depends on the guy.
Dec 26, 2017 7:24 AM

Sep 2017
To sell the expensive Blu-rays to Japonese weeaboos.
Dec 26, 2017 7:35 AM

Nov 2008
You do realize some sexualization fits the theme (Senran Kagura or Queens Blade, well pretty much anything loosely related to QB applies as well), speaking of SK, I wish there was some news about the sequel.

Dec 26, 2017 8:05 AM

Aug 2017
I don't see the problem. Whats wrong with hot anime girls???
Dec 26, 2017 8:15 AM

Apr 2017
Pandering kid, pandering.

I... guess I agree with you? I mean that (unnecesary fanservice, nudity) was definitely one of the reasons I hesitated to start watching anime, maybe the reason SnK is my favorite too, no fanservice or nothing of the sort.

But at the same time, I kind of agree with Manaban too, if something has fanservice or overtly sexualized characters, don't watch it. Maybe you're pissed because you think certain shows/characters would do a lot better without the sexualized stuff, and I'm with you there, but, well, anime is anime, you can't help it.

Dec 26, 2017 8:18 AM
Oct 2017
Because the Japanese love that shit, when they get from work or school they don't wanna see no bored show or think while watching an anime, they just want to disconnect from the real world. That's why shows like Eromanga-sensei sell so much, also by sexualizing the female body they get to sell a lot of merchandise, and the people buy it. So yeah, I think is pretty obvious that they do it with the intention of selling merchandise
Dec 26, 2017 8:23 AM

Dec 2015
I like to see strong women as much as I like to see strong men (as long as it doesn't seem weird in their story and is played well enough).
Miss Vincent from the Gunsmith Cats manga is depicted in a sexy/sexualized way, sometimes with too heavy/strong innuendo, as expected from Sonoda (the guy created a "non-loli loli character" who has sexual intercourses for example for the same series). But it usually doesn't distract me from the action on the page, because that's not what I am looking for in the books.

Also, part of the problem is that you are one of the people who consider female breasts to be a sexual object.

Deknijff said:
Man people really like to complain about that bounce thing.

I will never understand how some people dare reduce Gunbuster to that "special effect". (or reduce Gainax's role in animation to "people who made this thing popular")
Rei_IIIDec 26, 2017 8:51 AM
Dec 26, 2017 8:24 AM

Feb 2010
Exaggeration is one of the prime attributes of animation and comics and it can be applied in all kinds of ways so naturally it is also applied to sexuality.

Also you're probably watching the wrong shows based on listing a bunch of harem tropes as your main argument. There's literally hundreds of shows and movies that I've seen that don't have a lot of fanservice and even more that handle it in a way where it doesn't take centerstage and doesn't come at a cost to their personality and integrity. So yeah, stop watching ecchi comedies or harems and you won't encounter guys falling on girls tits or pantyshots very much at all. Will you still see some characters with sex appeal, big breasts and sexy outfits? Yeah because they do exist in rl too so there's no reason they shouldn't exist in fiction.
I probably regret this post by now.
Dec 26, 2017 8:25 AM
Jul 2018
How else are you gonna sell BDs? By having a decent plot?

Dude, nobody's got the time or energy for that. Boobs are so much easier.
Dec 26, 2017 8:41 AM

Oct 2013
Millireena said:
Millireena said:
Well if its a matter of having a problem of how women are portrayed why is it just the sex thing you’re talking about. What about the fact some women are portrayed as crazy

What about the fact some girls are portrayed as super weebs
Millireena said:
It makes me wonder if some people actually only see them good to be featured for only these reasons?
from my experience its mostly those who don’t like ecchi or harems who devolve characters to only sex objects. Fans of these kinds of shows usually don’t do this
Millireena said:
It's honestly discouraging. But at the same time, some women are to blame for this, constantly flaunting their bodies and such.
Women are to be blamed for nothing as this isn’t a problem
Millireena said:
Females can basically have all these traits while being sexualised and sexy. So this is a weird thing to say. What about women who are none of these things then and aren’t sexualised in your opinion?
Dec 26, 2017 8:57 AM

Oct 2013
Rei366 said:
Deknijff said:
I will never understand how some people dare reduce Gunbuster to that "special effect". (or reduce Gainax's role in animation to "people who made this thing popular")
people are just really drawn towards boobs I guess
Dec 26, 2017 9:16 AM

Dec 2012
I don't see the problem with artificially created fictional things being sexualized, they're not people you know. Plus you act like it's just women they're doing it to. There's just as much shirtless dudes being sexualized for the lady viewers out there too.
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Dec 26, 2017 5:19 PM

Dec 2017
And just to make things clear. I'm not saying that female anime characters can't be attractive, nor am I saying that they can't have large breasts/butts (because women irl can have that too) it's the way it's done that really gets me honestly. Especially how every part of their body is skinny or whatever but when you look at the bust it's as big as the moon.

And I'm not targeting a certain anime, I've always noticed this when I watched most animes, the reason why i'm now saying this now is because It's gotten to an extent where I want to vent out my frustration towards this.

If it's in Ecchi/Harem/Hentai anime then I can understand completely why this is done, and I won't rant about it, because that's pretty much the sole purpose in them, in most.
An example, K Project, practically all the female characters are only shown to have large breasts, constantly getting bust/underwear/and butt shots, I feel as though it's unnecessary.

I would definitely resort to watching just shoujo's but I really like action anime (and that's normally the shounen's area), and I have yet to watch one without a whiny or poorly made female MC, and most tend to be about romance? And don't get me wrong! There's shoujo animes/mangas out there that are actually great with nice romance. But I have trouble finding them, so any recommendations would also be nice! ^^
Dec 26, 2017 5:26 PM
Jul 2018
Because, That's how they sell the blu-rays in Japan
Dec 26, 2017 5:27 PM

Dec 2017
Omkar_Nagwade said:
Dude, no one cares. Let us enjoy our lolis, ass and titties.

Not really a true statement.
I care, so that counts as someone. I've seen people complain about the same thing I am complaining about right now as well, so they definitely count.
Just because I'm opposing something that you like and a majority like as well doesn't mean no one cares about it. If you haven't seen anyone express their dislike for this then maybe you just aren't looking or they're avoiding posting about this because of some people who can't take other's disliking something they like themselves.
You can go enjoy your lolis and such, I'm not stopping you, it's not like the entire anime producers are going to stop just because of my post. I'm just venting.
Dec 26, 2017 5:32 PM

Dec 2017
zal said:

I honestly don't want to start any arguments
Too late, you attacked fanservice on MAL with an account created like 10 days ago and this is is your first message: get ready to be lynched.

Oh actually, this wouldn't count as my first post, I originally made an account around 3 years ago but I forgot the password due to not using it (never found a reason to back then) and lost access to the email address I used to make it. I made a new one because I've been watching anime/reading manga a lot lately and I need to keep track of the ones I've already seen.

And yea, unfortunately I know how users on the MAL forums can be, I've been just lurking some forums for maybe a few months now?
Dec 26, 2017 5:35 PM
Jan 2014
Because the real life has it's own fanservice. The anime just copy it.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Which season of Vinland Saga do you guys prefer?

MillerEvans23 - 6 hours ago

25 by perseii »»
3 minutes ago

» Overall, do you rate anime generously or harshly? Why? ( 1 2 3 )

Rinrinka - Apr 8

109 by TRC_Randy »»
6 minutes ago

» Do you update the rating of anime you've already finished before? Is it an upgrade or downgrade usually?

Rinrinka - Apr 14

34 by AshuAmbrose »»
6 minutes ago

» Do women also enjoy Yuri?

Alpha_1_Zero - 23 minutes ago

3 by AshuAmbrose »»
8 minutes ago

» thoughts on Chinese anime? ( 1 2 3 4 )

ryo-san - Mar 6, 2022

192 by sodaJar »»
13 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.