Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (16) « First ... « 13 14 [15] 16 »
Oct 29, 2017 4:26 PM

Dec 2010
Aardwolf94 said:
tearofmankind said:
Excuse me? Did I miss some important EP or is this really the ending? So many unresolved questions and they decided to waste it on walking. This is offensive. The begininig of the Ep with hallucinations and small-talk with Hide was enough. What the hell happened with everybody else? It is better to show some cartboard character with overused design and no development at all? Damn Arima was totally useless in this anime, what a wase.

This season was stupid beyond redemption. First EP was not bad but then...
-They used some CCG gas when the ghoul prison was attacked. Why did not they use it during Anteiku raid?
-Why the hell they started facing owl without this Arima guy? This is the biggest stupidity I have seen in this anime.
-Where the hell is this ugly prisoner that fought Ken? He was never mentioned again, not even by his name? He was strong enough to push Ken through fucking walls. He should destroy his clink and go home. WTF!
-Why, just why, one button is enough to open all the ghoul`s clinks? And I won`t even start about why they decided to leave ghouls with their powers?
-Did they really imply that there was no objection against including Juuzou in a strict military unit? Because Shinohara said so? AFAIR he was not the boss of the organisation.
-Arata was quite a nice weapon and big improvement, should not Amon get one? Would be smart.
-All this build-up to Kaneki`s craziness and madness, but nothing happened? Eto said something like "almost there". Then nothing happened.
-All the missing plot points like twins, Amon, CCG after Raid and so on.

This episode is 1/10. It is insulting to the viewer.
Shit season, the only good parts were EP 1,9,10,11. Worst were parts in the Cochlea - absolutely insulting.

I would recommend reading the manga This is complete garbage and they butchered the story and characters (especially in the second season).

I definitely would but this left bad taste in my mouth.
Oct 29, 2017 4:32 PM

Oct 2017
tearofmankind said:
Aardwolf94 said:

I would recommend reading the manga This is complete garbage and they butchered the story and characters (especially in the second season).

I definitely would but this left bad taste in my mouth.

Very understandable. Give it a few months or a year and then read it. Its definitely worth it
Nov 1, 2017 8:17 PM
Jul 2017
That last scene though. 1 single shot naturally lasting for 2 minutes! That's something that almost no director in this world can do, and as well as they did it in this episode. That single shot almost nullifies the flaws with this season
Nov 3, 2017 10:01 PM
Oct 2017
shittest anime ending i have ever seen
what actually is a signature?
Dec 23, 2017 6:37 PM

Jul 2012
Okay! Question time-

Like what happened to Amon? Is he dead? Did he just lose an arm?

I know nothing next to nothing about Aogiri yet, the twins, the prisoner dude from Cochlea.

What happened to Kaneki at the end? Did Arima kill him? Who the fuck is Arima supposed to be anyway?

What is Eto's purpose/goals? What was the point of her interviewing Shinohara a couple episodes back? Isn't it her fault that the raid on Anteiku even happened?

{TCO}::..::{Listen}::..::{CCO}

Jan 19, 2018 8:13 AM
Nov 2015
Disclaimer: I went into Tokyo Ghoul without touching the manga, so a lot of things did not make sense to me.

Root A reminds me of the Berserk 2016 anime where the producers assumed that everyone who watched it read the manga first, so instead of showing the anime in a way that would make sense to the viewer, they just powered through a checklist of events in the manga, resulting in a haphazard presentation. And I knew, because I actually read Berserk's manga.

The earliest indication of this "checklist syndrome" is the flashback with Arima fighting the Owl. I was thinking "Who the heck is Arima?". As the anime progressed, I noticed a massive influx of characters just thrown into the mix, both ghouls and Doves, and I knew there won't be enough time to get acquainted with all of them.

Gonna the rate the plot low, but the combat scenes were pretty well-animated, I'll give it that, especially the Owl ones.

And yeah, I have a distaste for Arima/Inaho clones.
Jan 19, 2018 9:01 AM

Oct 2014
Akie said:
Okay! Question time-

Like what happened to Amon? Is he dead? Did he just lose an arm?

I know nothing next to nothing about Aogiri yet, the twins, the prisoner dude from Cochlea.

What happened to Kaneki at the end? Did Arima kill him? Who the fuck is Arima supposed to be anyway?

The answers to those questions are spoilers, read the manga and you'll get to them eventually.
Feb 9, 2018 12:25 AM

Jan 2014
I guess they made this season assuming that everyone who will be watching the Anime has already read the manga.

For me, Season 1 outweighs √A. I enjoyed every minute of season 1. Kaneki's struggle to stay human, his relationship with members of Anteiko cafe, His ideals not to kill anyone, especially the last episode where he decides to loose his humanity in order to protect everyone. So yeah Season 1, for me, was bomb.

√A was good. lots of feels. I hated when they attacked the cafe. I gotta admit though √A had more emotional episodes than Tokyo Ghoul. But I didn't like the way they ended the Anime. Unanswered questions, Characters with poor backstory, for someone who hasn't read the manga this season was 'not so good'. At the end It is just my personal opinion
TanKraftFeb 9, 2018 12:29 AM
Feb 11, 2018 4:15 AM

Apr 2013
So Hide probably died as well? Somehow until proven no one is really dead, just look as Shinohara. Kaneki fighting Arima can't possible go well for him though, wonder what will happen there :o
Also Touka just opened a new cafe like that? She must have a nice bank account to do that so suddenly.
Overall this season was way more enjoyable to me than season 1. I guess the hate it receives comes mostly from manga readers who dislike that they made an original story instead of following the source material. As a non-manga reader that doesn't concern me though, so I had fun. 6/10
Mar 9, 2018 7:53 PM
Mar 2018
COME BACK TO US HIDEEEE 😭😭😭
Apr 12, 2018 4:11 AM

Apr 2018
No Arima VS Kaneki fight and no introduction of Haise T-T and rip Hide i cri
Nov 6, 2018 11:10 AM

Jan 2016
Top 10 controversial anime endings.
Nov 17, 2018 4:24 PM

Oct 2013
Intensive episode in terms of feelings. I feel bad for Hide. I kinda liked him, he was a fine supportive hero and Ken's human friend.

How about the whole anime? It was fine, although I will give it a score worse than I gave for basic "Tokyo Ghoul". Why? Because of chaos in the direction of episodes. It's not that they were that much different, but the thing is... I felt chaos in the way they were directed. It made the story harder to catch on, plus the episodes were too diverse internally, which I can hook into the chaos I mentioned above. To be more precise: instead of fluently moving action we had a mess: very slow scenes, then very fast scenes out of blue, again slow scene, then another slower scene, then action etc.

Beat in mind I'm not talking about Episode 12 in particular. I'm talking about my general feelings on all episodes.
AdnashNov 20, 2018 4:31 PM
Nov 18, 2018 9:47 PM

Feb 2010
Pretty OK... that's about it. Enjoyed Season 1 more. I feel like there are some great characters here, but they were underutilized. World is interesting but pacing was a hotmess. I *may* watch the Re: series for the characters and such... but I may not. 6/10.
Jan 27, 2019 2:41 PM

Sep 2018
I have to say after this episode especially that the manga just got ruined by a poor first season and not even an adaptadion for the 2.Season the Arima vs Keneki fight and everything From Kano to even the depth that the manga had with the howl Bird cage didnt even got a mention its just sad
Mar 11, 2019 6:07 AM

Jan 2015
Just finished rewatching it. Very sad ending.
Apr 10, 2019 11:53 PM

Nov 2016
non manga reader

well, anyone watching the opening could guess how this season couldve played out. was expecting the same intense fights we got from the first season. it wasnt as intense as the first season, as most of the time cannon fodders dropped like flies.

also it felt lacking in story, like a bunch of holes here in there.

as others said, the manga is probably better, should pick it up later on as later seasons are getting hated on more.
anime/manga version of steam would be awesome - https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1625396
May 23, 2019 5:00 PM

Jun 2009
Lots of shots of blood dripping on the floor this episode. Guys, do you think Hide is bleeding? I think Studio Pierrot is really trying to hammer home the fact that Hide is bleeding.

But I could be wrong.

Accepting all analytical essays on this topic.
Aug 1, 2019 9:23 AM
Jun 2019
FONZACUS said:
non manga reader

well, anyone watching the opening could guess how this season couldve played out. was expecting the same intense fights we got from the first season. it wasnt as intense as the first season, as most of the time cannon fodders dropped like flies.

also it felt lacking in story, like a bunch of holes here in there.

as others said, the manga is probably better, should pick it up later on as later seasons are getting hated on more.

Well yes, the manga IS better but the anime is still good imo
hello

Aug 9, 2019 12:17 PM
Dec 2017
Not gonna lie shed some tears at the end...
Im not a manga reader but im reading comments saying that kaneki vs arima waa offscreen but i kinda understand why they didnt showed it(kaneki was completely fckd up and arima is super strong no need to make a fight were you already know the outcome, it was extra suffering for us and we dont need that😂)
The only thing that i dont understand is if kaneki is really dead because if you guys didn't told that in the comments i wouldn't know because the only thing they show is arima looking straigh forward and not a single thing of kaneki so i cant conclude that he is dead. (so for me that is the only dumb part of the episode)
Sorry for my english but i really tried hard to write this 😊
Tell me what you think about this
Oct 5, 2019 2:04 AM

Aug 2018
Fuck this a lot of people died in season 2
i mean overall this season was good but theres still a lot of unanswered questions that still bothers me since season 1 until now.The only problem in this series is theres a lot of hole in the story and the anime didnt explain it very well.The strongest point of this are the characters and how diverse its plot.

I have its flaws but its still enjoyable to watch
B O C C H I  S W E E P
Oct 23, 2019 5:52 PM
Jun 2009
Ok, this is ridiculous. By my count only 2 named characters died, one of them was basically a background character and the other is Hide, who is not really main cast. Amon is MIA (only his quinque was shown). The people who were wrecked by the Owl are "in critical condition" despite their comrades dropping like flies after a single hit from far weaker ghouls, the only way this could have been more ridiculous if they were up and about with a couple of adhesive bandages. I actually started laughing when it looked like Touka was about to be crushed by falling rubble, which would have made her the only named Anteiku casualty. I guess some named Aogiri guys may have died, but who cares about them. At this rate they could go through 20 more all-out battles like that and still have most of the main cast alive.

Kaneki walking away scene deserves a special dishonorable mention, why was his hair changing color back and forth constantly? How did Touka manage to lose him despite Kaneki walking and her running? Why did Kaneki carry Hide's body instead of giving it to his CCG comrades, who were giving medical attention to other CCG casualties? Where was he taking Hide, "home"? Was he going to dump his corpse at his parents' house or something? Moreover, the geometry of the Touka scene made no sense, first Kaneki was walking away from her toward an intersection, then it looked like he was going in the other direction and passing her as she followed him with her eyes.
Dec 5, 2019 6:45 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Well this season was so much more confusing than the first one, I understood like 30-40% of what happened, it was still fine though.
Apr 12, 2020 1:00 AM

Jul 2015
Emotional end...quite a lot of deaths because of the war, Hide was a good friend, if only Kaneki would have told him....Hide wouldn't have tried to figure out more things about the ghouls and gone onto the ba

Even though this season had some great moments, it could have been a better adaptation like why didn't they use CCR gas earlier on, who the hell is Arima, how many Arata are available and why they cut off some parts of the manga like the fight Arima vs Kaneki that occured in the manga

May 17, 2020 1:14 AM

Mar 2013
What a mess, even as a anime only viewer....

I will ignore how Hide managed to run away from Noru without being eaten/shallow like the other guy, but how did he even know that Kaneki will be back to Anteiku? They have telepathy or something?

Also is Kaneki a dumbass or something running straight to a bunch of CCG members and especially that Arima guy just like that? And people here said he's killed... offscreen.... Wtf? What a load of crap is this...
Jul 1, 2020 3:38 AM

Mar 2019
prrrrrfff this adaptation is quite meeeehhhhh

Jul 5, 2020 8:41 AM

Jul 2013
The real ending to Tokyo Ghoul. :re can burn in hell for what it did to the series.
Aug 30, 2020 10:56 AM
Aug 2020
At the beginning of the series: "I'm confused"
At the end if the series: "I'm still confused :/ "

that's it!! I'm reading the manga cuz i really like the characters and the story in general but they did a horrible job explaining it :( unless they assume that everyone read the manga first

the last seen when Kaneki was holding Hide was so freaking sad bro
Aug 31, 2020 9:26 AM
Aug 2020
Isaidlunch said:
The real ending to Tokyo Ghoul. :re can burn in hell for what it did to the series.
yes, I completely agree, although this ending might be very depressing and melancholic but it's still better than the whole of :re anime.
Oct 6, 2020 10:18 AM

Aug 2020
RIP Anteiku and Hide.... <3 Love the use of Unravel in the last episode.

This was a very good episode and I can't wait to start the next season; however, most of this season wasn't the best so I'll give it a 7/10. Season 1 was better in my opinion, but I still enjoyed this one.
Dec 2, 2020 11:52 AM
Nov 2020
I at first loved the ending as I watched it, but then my shock and sadness slowly turned to "alright, so how long is he gonna walk? Nothing's happening."
Dec 24, 2020 4:04 PM

Aug 2020
No surprise that Hide knew the whole time. There were many subtle moments when it was fairly obvious he was aware of Kaneki being a ghoul. I hope Hide is okay. I’m also surprised even though Kaneki wasn’t attacking anyone they didn’t try to go after him when he was in the presence of so many CCG officers. I’m assuming it was because he was holding Hide but it still surprised me. Definitely going to watch the next season just for some things I hope are cleared up.

Jan 10, 2021 9:31 AM

May 2020
Feb 6, 2021 11:45 PM
Aug 2020
NOOOOOOOOOOOO HIDE ):
Apr 7, 2021 8:06 PM

Jan 2016
Does no one ever die in this anime? How the hell are they still alive? What is the point of having an emotional scene for them and then the next moment it's like nothing happened? And when it does happen it is totally outta nowhere

At least Unravel played at the end. What was that ending? I didn't like it.
Apr 10, 2021 2:59 PM

May 2020
I personally liked this ending, although it really doesn't touch the manga ending imo. The scene with Kaneki walking through the snow with Hide's body was surprisingly emotional for me, in no small part due to the piano version of Unravel being played.

These last few episodes I thought were all quite good, but I can't bring myself to give this show a high rating due to just how poor some of the previous episodes were. The entire Cochlea arc felt pretty much pointless and the animation was pretty bad in a lot of the previous episodes as well. It was awesome seeing some of my favorite scenes from the manga get animated and voice acted, but overall I don't think this adaptation comes close to the original manga.
Apr 12, 2021 8:39 AM

Mar 2019
alyuwu297 said:
I personally liked this ending, although it really doesn't touch the manga ending imo. The scene with Kaneki walking through the snow with Hide's body was surprisingly emotional for me, in no small part due to the piano version of Unravel being played.

These last few episodes I thought were all quite good, but I can't bring myself to give this show a high rating due to just how poor some of the previous episodes were. The entire Cochlea arc felt pretty much pointless and the animation was pretty bad in a lot of the previous episodes as well. It was awesome seeing some of my favorite scenes from the manga get animated and voice acted, but overall I don't think this adaptation comes close to the original manga.

I really feel the same, I read Tokyo Ghoul and :Re 2 years ago and loved it, even if it was really complicated with many different characters and completely WTF at the end of :Re XD.

Regarding to this season, I have mixed feelings ; I would not say I hated it because I really like how the kagune are animated and kind of understand some of the choices that have been made with the story. As a manga reader I was able to relate to and understand most of the story (even if the Cochlea arc was really messy and abrupt).

However, I can't help wondering how can a studio not be following the manga so much and modify completely the story, especially when it is one of the best selling mangas of the decade. Some aspects omitted, especially the ones related to Hide, are key elements in the manga... They probably should have done 3 seasons to cover the whole story, and that would have avoided the plot holes in the Cochlea arc.

When it comes to rating I am very much in a dilemma : I don't want to rate this too badly because I enjoyed watching it, but I really don't appreciate how they basically trampled on the mangaka and his work. How did he like this anime btw ?!
Apr 14, 2021 4:12 AM
Jul 2018
The pacing was weaker than the 1st Season but it's obvious, because they didn't follow the Manga but still there were some cool moments in the season.

When Kaneki held Heede in his arm, then with unplugged UNRAVEL BGM, that scene became kinda panegyric.
Apr 30, 2021 9:42 AM

Jun 2020
Kaneki and Hide got to talk a little bit about what happened between them in the past and now Hide has seen Kaneki's Kakugan

I like this episode break from all of the action that happened between the Humans and the Ghouls a little bit of a pause from all the bloodshed that's been going on lately and they really did it they played the OP from last season "Unravel" I miss that song and a good way to bring it back

From the cloth that was hanging from Hide, I knew that something was similar to be frank it was from the anime's promotional picture

A good way to end this season and I must say I loved it as how the story progression goes and so on.
Jun 28, 2021 10:49 AM

Jun 2020
bru dafuq is dis shii lmaoooooooooooooo
Aug 16, 2021 3:39 PM

Jan 2020
fine enough finale. I feel bad for touka for having to go through all that but sadly I spoiled years ago on the hide thing which is inevitable considering how popular the series is.

I thought this season was alright. I liked some parts and I didn't enjoy some

Nov 13, 2021 5:50 AM

Aug 2020
There's a lot of problems I noticed while watching the 2nd season but as the last few episodes came, I was deeply affected by the scene were Kaneki is carrying Hide. I knew that it is already ending & predicted that Unravel will play. The thing that bothered me while watching the last eps was Touka running in circles doing nothing the past 3 episodes.

» [The World's Continuation【世界のつづき】- UTA/Ado ♪] «
0:00 〇────── 4:55
↺ |◁ II ▷| ♡

Come and Join us!
Evil Club ψ
FuwaFuwa Sanctuary ✿
✿ DeaD Blossoms ✿
Dec 30, 2021 3:27 PM
Sep 2021

I get that you run out of source material and is trying to be creative, but hot damn was that a garbage script.
Jan 17, 2022 7:25 AM

Dec 2018
so instead of dealing with the threat of the ghouls rampaging different sectors they create a massacre over a quaint coffee shop just minding their own business? yep that's government for ya
Feb 12, 2022 7:54 AM
Dec 2021
The first season of Tokyo Ghoul was generally good, but the second season was destroyed!!
I have to keep reading manga. I read it untill chapter 89 volume 9.
I'm sorry for Pierrot Studio:(((
Apr 28, 2022 3:13 AM
Dec 2021
Terrible.
Read its manga.
Sep 23, 2022 12:14 PM
Aug 2018
spiderexpert said:

Kaneki walking away scene deserves a special dishonorable mention, why was his hair changing color back and forth constantly? How did Touka manage to lose him despite Kaneki walking and her running? Why did Kaneki carry Hide's body instead of giving it to his CCG comrades, who were giving medical attention to other CCG casualties? Where was he taking Hide, "home"? Was he going to dump his corpse at his parents' house or something? Moreover, the geometry of the Touka scene made no sense, first Kaneki was walking away from her toward an intersection, then it looked like he was going in the other direction and passing her as she followed him with her eyes.

I think at this point the animators were just lazy and reused the white hair because there is no in universe explanation why he would have white hair at any point while carrying Hide.

Touka is just being consistent in not being to catch someone Kaneki walking while running herself as she did in the first episode. And Touka pretty much this entire season made no sense.

Does the Reaper Dream of Darkness Darker than Black?
Oct 2, 2022 12:46 PM
Oct 2022
a mi gusto sigue estando bien. ya veremos como esta la siguiente temporada
Nov 6, 2022 10:13 PM

Jul 2012
WTF was this season?? "Random thing happens because obvious"
And OMG the humans in this franchise are probably the dumbest people in anime I've seen. Random woman says "coffee shop kinda sus" and instead of making an actual investigation, the dude goes there and has coffee two times and decides "yep, my gut is telling me this is the guy" and they just raid it. And not only that, but before doing so they broadcast the actual place they're going to attack on TV... I just--
Nov 12, 2022 12:36 PM
Nov 2022
BRO. THE CLIFFHANGER. I'm so so lost. I tried watching Re: but that confused me a lot more. I love the series, but I hate that cliffhanger and how Re: picked up at what I'd call a random spot.
Pages (16) « First ... « 13 14 [15] 16 »

More topics from this board

» How do you feel

JoahAnime - Apr 18, 2022

37 by Zimmu »»
Apr 3, 11:48 AM

Poll: » Tokyo Ghoul √A Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Feb 5, 2015

402 by efectiviuli »»
Feb 18, 2:29 PM

Poll: » Tokyo Ghoul √A Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Feb 12, 2015

256 by dustyblue »»
Feb 7, 12:39 AM

Poll: » Tokyo Ghoul √A Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 15, 2015

300 by RapidPhantom »»
Jan 23, 7:50 AM

» From a strictly anime only viewpoint, Tokyo Ghoul S2 was good ( 1 2 )

CickNipolla - Feb 15, 2022

53 by Anayan_Kashyap »»
Dec 23, 2023 7:12 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.