Forum Settings
Forums
New
Sep 19, 2017 9:33 AM

Mar 2016
If you have any suggestion for improvings the site or other, feel free to say it !

Please look the Changelog topic to see if your suggestion is not already in the "Plan to add"
Please if you find a bug, don't post it here but in the Bugs topic.
Koito91Dec 9, 2022 9:35 PM

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.
I'm the creator of mal-badges, go chek the club!

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Oct 26, 2017 2:43 PM

Apr 2015
Hi, could we also possibly have badges for manga.
Oct 26, 2017 2:53 PM

Mar 2016
SilentVinyl said:
Hi, could we also possibly have badges for manga.

Hi, I have think about it and I want to add it. Will be add when I can :)

Oct 28, 2017 10:05 AM

Feb 2016
Boku no Pico actually has two sequels which I'd love to see badges for too,

although there don't seem to be any sequels to shows on there yet, does this have something to do with your way of selecting what shows get badges or is it just a coincidence?
Oct 28, 2017 10:47 AM

Mar 2016
avory said:
Boku no Pico actually has two sequels which I'd love to see badges for too,

although there don't seem to be any sequels to shows on there yet, does this have something to do with your way of selecting what shows get badges or is it just a coincidence?

Hi,
I need to create every badge, so it's take some times and I can't create it for all anime. I juste create it for some famous anime for the moment and will add more with time :)
Thx for your feedback!

Oct 28, 2017 11:32 PM

Mar 2017
I saw that you aren't a native speaker of English, so I looked on the site and sure enough found some spelling mistakes/not capitalized words.

When you update a profile, "It can take few minutes depending of the number of anime in your list." would be "It may take a few minutes, depending on the number of anime in your list." Also, you must've accidentally put a space or forgot to remove the space before the exclamation mark in "Please be patient !"

In the badges panel, change "Days spend" to "Days Spent", correct all not capitalized words as in "Short anime fan" to "Short Anime Fan" and not capitalize unimportant words like in and the, as in "Something in your hand", it would be "Something In Your Hand". Correct "Realy ?" to "Really?"

That's just my preference, after all.

Oh, and as a suggestion, I'd think it'd be cool if people in the top 100 got a special badge (and I guess it can go away if you go below above 100, say 101, but keeps it if you go up to the higher ranks) the top 10 a special badge (same concept) the top 3 a special badge (same concept) and the number one person a special badge (same concept). A badge that I'd like to see would be "Panty Shots of Glory", or something along those lines, badge for completing Rosario to Vampire.

Another suggestion would be that when you register on there, it's not case sensitive (I don't know if you updated it since the time I joined on there), make it so that when you register it automatically changes and gets the capitals from the MAL profile.
MizoreOct 28, 2017 11:46 PM
Oct 29, 2017 9:23 AM

Mar 2016
Mizore said:
I saw that you aren't a native speaker of English, so I looked on the site and sure enough found some spelling mistakes/not capitalized words.

When you update a profile, "It can take few minutes depending of the number of anime in your list." would be "It may take a few minutes, depending on the number of anime in your list." Also, you must've accidentally put a space or forgot to remove the space before the exclamation mark in "Please be patient !"

In the badges panel, change "Days spend" to "Days Spent", correct all not capitalized words as in "Short anime fan" to "Short Anime Fan" and not capitalize unimportant words like in and the, as in "Something in your hand", it would be "Something In Your Hand". Correct "Realy ?" to "Really?"

That's just my preference, after all.

Oh, and as a suggestion, I'd think it'd be cool if people in the top 100 got a special badge (and I guess it can go away if you go below above 100, say 101, but keeps it if you go up to the higher ranks) the top 10 a special badge (same concept) the top 3 a special badge (same concept) and the number one person a special badge (same concept). A badge that I'd like to see would be "Panty Shots of Glory", or something along those lines, badge for completing Rosario to Vampire.

Another suggestion would be that when you register on there, it's not case sensitive (I don't know if you updated it since the time I joined on there), make it so that when you register it automatically changes and gets the capitals from the MAL profile.

Hi,

Thanks for the english mistakes, it will be change with the next update.

Idea for special badge for top 100, 10 etc. is really cool, love it ! I will think about it :)
But I need to design it and it will take time.

For the capitalizae letter I can't do anything, I use an url from myanimelist.net to get user info and myanimelist.net don't make a difference with capitalize or not. I depend to myanimelist.net and I can't do all I want.

I'm currently make a list of new badge who will be add.

Thanks !

Oct 29, 2017 10:50 AM

Mar 2017
Ah that's alright about the capitalization, just add a note saying that capitalization matters. Also, maybe add badge art for badges. That'd be sick.

Another one would be that it shows which anime you've seen so far towards the badge.
MizoreOct 29, 2017 11:17 AM
Oct 30, 2017 11:04 PM
Luny Tunes

Feb 2012
Hello!

I've always wanted to post some suggestions for Mal-badges, but I only had enough free time to do it now, so here I go. xP

First of all, there are 4 genres whose current total in the MAL database haven't even reached 100, and here they are: Thriller, Josei, Yaoi, and Yuri. I have noticed that the users in the top of the rankings, mainly the few "Database Breakers" in this site, haven't even reached the "maximum" amount of anime required for the genre. For example, Hundun or BabstheAnimeGod haven't reached 100 for any of these four. It's because there aren't enough titles in the MAL Database for all 4 of these genres.

Thriller = 91 titles
Josei = 70 titles
Yaoi = 40 titles
Yuri = 42 titles

I would like to suggest to possibly decrease the threshold of for all 4 of these genres, because at this current state, nobody in MAL will even reach 100 for any of these. Not to mention, we also cannot expect for new anime of any of these genres to be added anytime soon in the future. So why not decrease the threshold for all 4 of these so reaching the maximum prerequisite won't be considered "impossible"?

So here's my proposal: How about decreasing the thresholds for these 4 genres and make them similar with achievements by year? I'll take the year 2016 as an example:

Required: 5, 10, 20, 30, 50
Xp value: 50, 100, 250, 500, 1000 (Might also change it to "Xp earned" someday)

With this, only Yuri and Yaoi can't reach the maximum of 50, but that can't be helped.. :(

----

Another big thing that I'd like to suggest is about the Anime Length achievement "Very long anime fan".

You see, completing an anime with over 100 episodes takes a lot of time, even from binge watching them. I think it would be much more appropriate to increase the xp earned from them making them more worthy as an achievement than the 3 previous ones before it under the Anime Length category. I think the "Long Anime Fan" deserves an increase too, but let's find out.

Old threshold:

Required: 10, 20, 30, 50, 75, 100
Xp value: 50, 100, 250, 500, 1000, 1500 (All of these feel like they're too...little, especially after completing over 100 episodes of a single anime)

Proposed threshold:

Xp value: 500, 1000, 1500, 3000, 5000, 10000 (Looks much more satisfying this way)

----

What do you think of these? :) Hopefully with these changes, the Level 30 badge would become attainable now. I think the xp required to reach Level 30 should be around......150000 xp??

I have another suggestion in mind for badges, but would it be fine if I send these ideas to you via PM? :)

I really like Mal-badges and it's very neat so I contributed these ideas to make it even better.
Oct 31, 2017 12:31 AM

Mar 2016
LunyRed said:
Hello!

I've always wanted to post some suggestions for Mal-badges, but I only had enough free time to do it now, so here I go. xP

First of all, there are 4 genres whose current total in the MAL database haven't even reached 100, and here they are: Thriller, Josei, Yaoi, and Yuri. I have noticed that the users in the top of the rankings, mainly the few "Database Breakers" in this site, haven't even reached the "maximum" amount of anime required for the genre. For example, Hundun or BabstheAnimeGod haven't reached 100 for any of these four. It's because there aren't enough titles in the MAL Database for all 4 of these genres.

Thriller = 91 titles
Josei = 70 titles
Yaoi = 40 titles
Yuri = 42 titles

I would like to suggest to possibly decrease the threshold of for all 4 of these genres, because at this current state, nobody in MAL will even reach 100 for any of these. Not to mention, we also cannot expect for new anime of any of these genres to be added anytime soon in the future. So why not decrease the threshold for all 4 of these so reaching the maximum prerequisite won't be considered "impossible"?

So here's my proposal: How about decreasing the thresholds for these 4 genres and make them similar with achievements by year? I'll take the year 2016 as an example:

Required: 5, 10, 20, 30, 50
Xp value: 50, 100, 250, 500, 1000 (Might also change it to "Xp earned" someday)

With this, only Yuri and Yaoi can't reach the maximum of 50, but that can't be helped.. :(

----

Another big thing that I'd like to suggest is about the Anime Length achievement "Very long anime fan".

You see, completing an anime with over 100 episodes takes a lot of time, even from binge watching them. I think it would be much more appropriate to increase the xp earned from them making them more worthy as an achievement than the 3 previous ones before it under the Anime Length category. I think the "Long Anime Fan" deserves an increase too, but let's find out.

Old threshold:

Xp value: 50, 100, 250, 500, 1000, 1500 (All of these feel like they're too...little, especially after completing over 100 episodes of a single anime)

Proposed threshold:

Xp value: 500, 1000, 1500, 3000, 5000, 10000 (Looks much more satisfying this way)

----

What do you think of these? :) Hopefully with these changes, the Level 30 badge would become attainable now. I think the xp required to reach Level 30 should be around......150000 xp??

I have another suggestion in mind for badges, but would it be fine if I send these ideas to you via PM? :)

I really like Mal-badges and it's very neat so I contributed these ideas to make it even better.

Hi,

Thanks for your feeback,

If you have any more suggest you can PM me it's no problem, use the club make a centralized area for mal-badges.net but like now when I don't receive a lot of message it's okay. In the futur It will be hell to receive all by PM. But go PM for now if you want :)

Concerning the rank of genre with less than 100 anime in myanimelist.net and the xp for very long anime.

I know it's stupid but when I create rank I didn't thinks about it xD
I plan to remake a lot of ranks in the next update but mal-badges.net is create in my free time.
I note your feedback and I will look for it. I add some details in mal-badges.net (like the filter yesterday). And the are all things you don't see I do (like appear in google, the way I create badge, optimize code, etc.).

And yes, It not normal to not be level 30 with the list of certain users xD

Will be change soon !

Thanks for your feedback, it make me happy to see pepoles like mal-badges !

Nov 2, 2017 6:11 AM
Luny Tunes

Feb 2012
Thank you for reconsidering! :D

And wow! I'm super surprised with the new updates! I love it! :D Thanks for all your hard work! ( -b ^-^ )-b With the new improved thresholds, this gave more xp to users who have watched more anime, especially those who have watched longer anime series. I can recognize some names who have overtaken me in ranks, but I can't do a thing about it. xD Gotta continue binge watching.

Thanks for the update with the 4 genres I've mentioned that needs some fixing with the thresholds!

I just have one slight issue with the "Very Long Anime Fan" .. There are less than 200 titles (I think?) in the MAL anime database that have over 100 episodes, but the thresholds show 500 and 1000? That would be impossible. :o

The thresholds are alright for "Short Anime Fan", "Medium Anime Fan", and the now better "Long Anime Fan" at most. I love it! Although I can't imagine myself reaching the max for any of these starting now.. xD But hey! At least this gave me more incentive to keep going for more anime to watch. :D

Once again, I'd like to thank you for all your hard work! Mal-badges is awesome!
Nov 2, 2017 6:31 AM

Mar 2016
LunyRed said:
Thank you for reconsidering! :D

And wow! I'm super surprised with the new updates! I love it! :D Thanks for all your hard work! ( -b ^-^ )-b With the new improved thresholds, this gave more xp to users who have watched more anime, especially those who have watched longer anime series. I can recognize some names who have overtaken me in ranks, but I can't do a thing about it. xD Gotta continue binge watching.

Thanks for the update with the 4 genres I've mentioned that needs some fixing with the thresholds!

I just have one slight issue with the "Very Long Anime Fan" .. There are less than 200 titles (I think?) in the MAL anime database that have over 100 episodes, but the thresholds show 500 and 1000? That would be impossible. :o

The thresholds are alright for "Short Anime Fan", "Medium Anime Fan", and the now better "Long Anime Fan" at most. I love it! Although I can't imagine myself reaching the max for any of these starting now.. xD But hey! At least this gave me more incentive to keep going for more anime to watch. :D

Once again, I'd like to thank you for all your hard work! Mal-badges is awesome!

You're welcome :3

Yeah, you're right for the very long anime, I will remove the 500 and 1000 ranks. Just copy it without thinking xD

Happy to see you like mal-badges ! :D

Nov 2, 2017 6:36 AM
Luny Tunes

Feb 2012
Jikan_ said:

Yeah, you're right for the very long anime, I will remove the 500 and 1000 ranks. Just copy it without thinking xD

No problem! :3 And while you're at it, you could also update the capitalization of "Very long anime fan" into "Very Long Anime Fan", just like the 3 previous categories for Anime Length before it that had proper capitalization. :3
Nov 2, 2017 6:37 AM

Mar 2016
LunyRed said:
Jikan_ said:

No problem! :3 And while you're at it, you could also update the capitalization of "Very long anime fan" into "Very Long Anime Fan", just like the 3 previous categories for Anime Length before it that had proper capitalization. :3

Yeah XD
Done !

Nov 2, 2017 11:15 PM
Luny Tunes

Feb 2012
Awesome! :D

Btw, I just noticed this regarding the "Movie Fan" achievement, and I think it deserves an increase with the threshold too, since there are over a thousand anime movies in the MAL anime database. Maybe it could be improved just a bit better. :)

Old:

Movie Fan Requirements: 10, 20, 30, 50, 75, 100

--

New Proposal:

Movie Fan Requirements: 10, 20, 30, 50, 75, 100, 200, 300, 400, 500, 750, 1000

As for the xp required for the higher thresholds of this one, I'll leave it to you to decide. :)

How about it? :D Thanks!
Nov 3, 2017 12:32 AM

Mar 2016
LunyRed said:
Awesome! :D

Btw, I just noticed this regarding the "Movie Fan" achievement, and I think it deserves an increase with the threshold too, since there are over a thousand anime movies in the MAL anime database. Maybe it could be improved just a bit better. :)

Old:

Movie Fan Requirements: 10, 20, 30, 50, 75, 100

--

New Proposal:

Movie Fan Requirements: 10, 20, 30, 50, 75, 100, 200, 300, 400, 500, 750, 1000

As for the xp required for the higher thresholds of this one, I'll leave it to you to decide. :)

How about it? :D Thanks!

Hi,

You're right. I add two ranks : 500 and 1000.

I also increase the XP earned for this badges (need to update your profile or wait to see your correct XP value).

Thanks

Nov 3, 2017 12:58 AM
Luny Tunes

Feb 2012
@Jikan_

Nice! Thanks! But only 2 big ranks have been added, huh? Well I'm cool with the new ranks. I do like watching anime movies, so it looks like I'll pick up more anime movies to watch if I want to reach the next rank. xD

There's a certain bug I've noticed in Mal-badges. I'll report about it in the "Bugs" thread. I'm just preparing the screenshots as evidence.
Nov 3, 2017 1:03 AM

Mar 2016
LunyRed said:
@Jikan_

Nice! Thanks! But only 2 big ranks have been added, huh? Well I'm cool with the new ranks. I do like watching anime movies, so it looks like I'll pick up more anime movies to watch if I want to reach the next rank. xD

There's a certain bug I've noticed in Mal-badges. I'll report about it in the "Bugs" thread. I'm just preparing the screenshots as evidence.

Yeah. only two. I thinks it's okay like that for the moment :)

Thanks for your time ! :P

Nov 20, 2017 11:45 AM
a lil bean ✨

Feb 2011
Hello. I want to propose badges for the different types of anime. I notice there's already one awarded for the total movies watched, but why not make something similar for the other types. The current types are:
TV, Movie, Special, ONA, OVA, and Music.

If something regarding them could be implemented, that would be awesome.

Thanks~

HiScoreLoScoreAuction

Turn-InsAWCc

ᓚᘏᗢ

Nov 20, 2017 11:48 AM

Mar 2016
SheyCroix said:
Hello. I want to propose badges for the different types of anime. I notice there's already one awarded for the total movies watched, but why not make something similar for the other types. The current types are:
TV, Movie, Special, ONA, OVA, and Music.

If something regarding them could be implemented, that would be awesome.

Thanks~

Hi,

Thanks for your suggestion ! It's a nice idea. I will add it when I can ! :D

Nov 20, 2017 1:31 PM

Oct 2017
I'd like to see a badge for watching all the 10 top ranked anime on MAL. Also top 25, top 50, top 75 and top 100.
Nov 20, 2017 1:39 PM

Mar 2016
_Ask_ said:
I'd like to see a badge for watching all the 10 top ranked anime on MAL. Also top 25, top 50, top 75 and top 100.

It's complicae because I don't have access to the ranking anime in myanimelist.net, so if it's change I can't update my badge on mal-badges.net. I can maybe ( and I'm not really sure) create a badge with the current stat of the ranking in myanminelist.net
I notice your suggestion and I will look it in more details ! :)

Nov 20, 2017 1:44 PM

Oct 2017
Ahh, I understand.
Nov 20, 2017 5:15 PM
Panzer Vor!

Jun 2014
I sugest title of the ranks, the emblem is good but an name for it would be very good.
Nov 20, 2017 5:17 PM
Luny Tunes

Feb 2012
Hi @Jikan_ ! I like the new feature added to the Mal-badges website! It's pretty cool showing all the levels especially the amount of xp required to obtain them. Very helpful, thanks a lot! :)

Well, I'd like to suggest something, and I don't know why this one's been missing. I've been looking at the "Genres", and I've noticed that there's no Cars genre among them. In other words, we need a "Cars Fan" badge!

Remember the "Josei" genre? That genre only had 78 titles. The "Cars" genre only has 84 titles in the page, so I propose a "Cars Fan" badge with its threshold similar to "Josei".

Cars Fan

Required: 10, 20, 30, 50
Xp value: 50, 100, 250, 500

How does that sound? :D I have a few more suggestions coming up but I'd like to know if you're willing to add "Cars Fan" among the badges because I'm slightly bothered that it's missing among them. :P
Nov 21, 2017 12:54 AM

Mar 2016
LunyRed said:
Hi @Jikan_ ! I like the new feature added to the Mal-badges website! It's pretty cool showing all the levels especially the amount of xp required to obtain them. Very helpful, thanks a lot! :)

Well, I'd like to suggest something, and I don't know why this one's been missing. I've been looking at the "Genres", and I've noticed that there's no Cars genre among them. In other words, we need a "Cars Fan" badge!

Remember the "Josei" genre? That genre only had 78 titles. The "Cars" genre only has 84 titles in the page, so I propose a "Cars Fan" badge with its threshold similar to "Josei".

Cars Fan

Required: 10, 20, 30, 50
Xp value: 50, 100, 250, 500

How does that sound? :D I have a few more suggestions coming up but I'd like to know if you're willing to add "Cars Fan" among the badges because I'm slightly bothered that it's missing among them. :P

Hi,

Yeah your right, it's an error. I will fix that.

Nov 23, 2017 1:55 PM

Jan 2011
Currently the year badges require 50 anime to reach max level. I was taking a look to see what anime are available to finish out the four I have left (1981-1984) and found that 1981 and 1982 both do not have at least 50 anime available in English.

I suggest knocking the maximum number to 40 for these two years. As most MAL users are English speakers from English speaking countries watching English fansubs/dubs of anime and your website uses English for these badges. Otherwise only a Japanese-speaking user could feasibly complete the badges.
Nov 23, 2017 1:59 PM

Mar 2016
lanblade said:
Currently the year badges require 50 anime to reach max level. I was taking a look to see what anime are available to finish out the four I have left (1981-1984) and found that 1981 and 1982 both do not have at least 50 anime available in English.

I suggest knocking the maximum number to 40 for these two years. As most MAL users are English speakers from English speaking countries watching English fansubs/dubs of anime and your website uses English for these badges. Otherwise only a Japanese-speaking user could feasibly complete the badges.

Hi,

To be honest i don't check if year have 50 anime. xD
You're right, it's an error and it will be change !

Thanks for your time to check this :)

Bye

Nov 25, 2017 7:53 AM

Feb 2016
I'd like to see a "rewatcher" badge, similar to the "dropper" badge
(and, probably because of mal's buggy rewatch system, rewatched episodes don't count toward the episode badge, although they do count for days watched badge)
Nov 26, 2017 12:32 PM

Mar 2016
avory said:
I'd like to see a "rewatcher" badge, similar to the "dropper" badge
(and, probably because of mal's buggy rewatch system, rewatched episodes don't count toward the episode badge, although they do count for days watched badge)

Hi,

Will look a this ! Thanks :)

Nov 29, 2017 10:52 PM
Feb 2015
Can we get some older anime year badges please? Some 70s years would be nice.
Nov 29, 2017 11:11 PM

Mar 2016
AnIdiot said:
Can we get some older anime year badges please? Some 70s years would be nice.

Hi,

I don't watch often old anime. Can you give me some idea ? Or anime badge you like to have :)

Thanks !

Nov 30, 2017 4:15 AM
Luny Tunes

Feb 2012
Jikan_ said:
Hi,

I don't watch often old anime. Can you give me some idea ? Or anime badge you like to have :)

Thanks !

I think he's referring to anime that aired before 1980 and older, as we already have the "1980 Fan" badge in Mal-badges. So how about a new badge called "Pre-1980 Fan" which categorizes all anime entries dating back to 1979 and older? There should be a lot of very old anime in MAL so I propose its levels to be similar with the standard genre badges.

Pre-1980 Fan

Xp value: 50, 100, 250, 500, 1000, 1500

-----

I also would like to suggest something about adjusting the levels for some of the genres. Take a look at the "Comedy" genre for example. That's over 5000 entries, and yet the max level for the badge is only 100. I would like to suggest to increase the levels of certain genres if it's alright with you. :S

For "Comedy Fan", you could give it new levels above 100. Should continue to 250, 500, and then 1000 as the max.

Also, for the "Short Anime Fan", there's thousands of them in the MAL database. With the current maximum at 1000, how about adding 1500 and 2000 as higher levels? This should make it more exciting to max out. :)

And lastly, I think you haven't answered lucio54's suggestion. I'll let you decide on it if you would want names/titles for the badges or none at all.
Nov 30, 2017 4:23 AM

Mar 2016
lucio54 said:
I sugest title of the ranks, the emblem is good but an name for it would be very good.

Hi,

Sorry for the delay, I didn't see your sugestion. A name was used previously but I remove it because I don't really know hoe to name every levels.

LunyRed said:
Jikan_ said:
Hi,

Thanks !

I think he's referring to anime that aired before 1980 and older, as we already have the "1980 Fan" badge in Mal-badges. So how about a new badge called "Pre-1980 Fan" which categorizes all anime entries dating back to 1979 and older? There should be a lot of very old anime in MAL so I propose its levels to be similar with the standard genre badges.

Pre-1980 Fan

-----

I also would like to suggest something about adjusting the levels for some of the genres. Take a look at the "Comedy" genre for example. That's over 5000 entries, and yet the max level for the badge is only 100. I would like to suggest to increase the levels of certain genres if it's alright with you. :S

For "Comedy Fan", you could give it new levels above 100. Should continue to 250, 500, and then 1000 as the max.

Also, for the "Short Anime Fan", there's thousands of them in the MAL database. With the current maximum at 1000, how about adding 1500 and 2000 as higher levels? This should make it more exciting to max out. :)

And lastly, I think you haven't answered lucio54's suggestion. I'll let you decide on it if you would want names/titles for the badges or none at all.

Hi,

Thanks for your time. Will look about it.
I need to fix other things which was previously suggest but I notice it !

Nov 30, 2017 2:34 PM
Feb 2015
LunyRed said:
Jikan_ said:
Hi,

Thanks !

Pre-1980 Fan

-----

Yeah this was my idea. Thanks for listening.
Dec 2, 2017 3:01 PM

Sep 2015
I think some the "unique anime" badges doesn't make much sense. It's like you hand out badges for someone watching your favorites (or just to random anime) with little regard to their place in the fandom/subculture. I don't want to turn this into a taste war, so I'll keep as big a distance from mine as I can.

Btoom!, Kyoukai no Kanata, Magi, Mondaji-tachi, Mob Psycho, Overlord, Watamote, Re:Zero
Sure, they were mildly (some not even just mildly) popular while airing, but no none of them had real, lasting popularity or effect on the industry and otaku culture. Re:Zero holds itself a bit, but I doubt anyone will really care about it in a few years.

Kiss x Sis (TV), Nanbaka, Ryuu no Haisha, Punch Line
Why? They're not high ranking, neither popular. And never were.

Boku no Pico, Sword Art Online
I guess meme anime needs a badge. Then be done with it and add Pingu in the City too.

Naruto
Why this one? Why not Hunter x Hunter? Also, one third of the TOP15 highest ranking anime is Gintama. If Naruto, then where is the rest of "the big three"?

Haikyuu!
Yeah, the 2nd and 3rd seasons are the 2 highest ranking sprots series (because the sequel effect), and they are good, but... Hajime no Ippo? Slam Dunk? Ashita no Joe? Ippo also has all it's 3 seasons in the TOP100 highest ranking list.

Death Note, FLCL, Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
Classics deserve recognition, I agree. Why just these? FMA: Brotherhood is the all time highest ranking anime pretty much since it came out, Code Geass (which I not particularly like) basically has a cult, Cowboy Bebop, Suzumiya Haruhi, Samurai Champloo, Lupin III, the first Berserk adaptation, there are dozens of anime just as worthy even if we just scratch the surface.

Koe no Katachi, Kimi no Na wa
Sure, one of them dethroned Spirited Away as the most financially successful anime movie and the other is regarded as the better one which couldn't step out of its shadow. But still no recognition for Ghibli/Miyazaki, Otomo Katsuhiro, Kon Satoshi or Oshii Mamoru?

Or if there is some kind of thought process behind what gets a badge, I'd really like to read it. As it is now, I think it would be better without a "Unique Anime" category. It seriously needs to be reconsidered, how many badge of this kind should there be and what qualifies an anime to have a badge.
Dec 2, 2017 3:11 PM

Mar 2016
Heldengeist said:
I think some the "unique anime" badges doesn't make much sense. It's like you hand out badges for someone watching your favorites (or just to random anime) with little regard to their place in the fandom/subculture. I don't want to turn this into a taste war, so I'll keep as big a distance from mine as I can.

Btoom!, Kyoukai no Kanata, Magi, Mondaji-tachi, Mob Psycho, Overlord, Watamote, Re:Zero
Sure, they were mildly (some not even just mildly) popular while airing, but no none of them had real, lasting popularity or effect on the industry and otaku culture. Re:Zero holds itself a bit, but I doubt anyone will really care about it in a few years.

Kiss x Sis (TV), Nanbaka, Ryuu no Haisha, Punch Line
Why? They're not high ranking, neither popular. And never were.

Boku no Pico, Sword Art Online
I guess meme anime needs a badge. Then be done with it and add Pingu in the City too.

Naruto
Why this one? Why not Hunter x Hunter? Also, one third of the TOP15 highest ranking anime is Gintama. If Naruto, then where is the rest of "the big three"?

Haikyuu!
Yeah, the 2nd and 3rd seasons are the 2 highest ranking sprots series (because the sequel effect), and they are good, but... Hajime no Ippo? Slam Dunk? Ashita no Joe? Ippo also has all it's 3 seasons in the TOP100 highest ranking list.

Death Note, FLCL, Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
Classics deserve recognition, I agree. Why just these? FMA: Brotherhood is the all time highest ranking anime pretty much since it came out, Code Geass (which I not particularly like) basically has a cult, Cowboy Bebop, Suzumiya Haruhi, Samurai Champloo, Lupin III, the first Berserk adaptation, there are dozens of anime just as worthy even if we just scratch the surface.

Koe no Katachi, Kimi no Na wa
Sure, one of them dethroned Spirited Away as the most financially successful anime movie and the other is regarded as the better one which couldn't step out of its shadow. But still no recognition for Ghibli/Miyazaki, Otomo Katsuhiro, Kon Satoshi or Oshii Mamoru?

Or if there is some kind of thought process behind what gets a badge, I'd really like to read it. As it is now, I think it would be better without a "Unique Anime" category. It seriously needs to be reconsidered, how many badge of this kind should there be and what qualifies an anime to have a badge.

Hi,

Thanks for your time.
I have create the "unique anime" badges at the begining to add some custom badge and I don't really think about which anime should be in badges. I want to change it and give unique anime badge only for challenging anime ( like boku no picco).

I will change it but it's not my priority for the moment. But I see your suggesition :)

Bye

Dec 5, 2017 10:08 PM
Luny Tunes

Feb 2012
Those new badges! Wow... *^* I'm totally in favor of these much more than the "Re-watcher" badge, which was a shame that the latter didn't work properly. Thank you for adding these new badges! :D

I'd like to suggest some small changes for a couple of these new badges because I think some of them feel a little off.

First off, the "ONA Fan". The next levels after 100 are 500 and 1000. Uhm.....1000 for ONA Fan is impossible to reach, because there doesn't seem to be over 1000 different ONA in the MAL anime database. The highest total I've seen so far for ONA is from spacecowboy with a total of 760 ONA at the time of this post.

I suggest removing the 1000 for ONA fan and, instead, make a level in between 100 and 500. How about add a new level of 300 in between them while removing the 1000? That would make more sense.

----

Another minor issue I have is the xp value for the "TV Fan" badge. Completing a TV anime takes the most time. More time than completing an anime movie, OVA, anime special, or ONA. I think this badge deserves more xp than the other 4 categories and it just doesn't sit well with me to see it with low xp. This reminds me of my previous argument with the "Very Long Anime Fan" when it originally had very few xp when I first saw that badge.

One more thing. The "Movie Fan" badge actually has more xp than the "TV Fan" badge. Here are the levels and xp earned for Movie Fan:

Required: 10, 20, 30, 50, 75, 100, 500, 1000
Xp earned: 200, 500, 1000, 1500, 2000, 2500, 5000, 10000

As opposed to the "TV Fan" badge which I think feels somewhat inferior to the former with these xp:

Xp earned: 50, 250, 500, 1000, 1500, 2000, 3000, 5000

I just think the xp need a slight boost/increase. Just imagine how many TV anime there are in the MAL database with 30 episodes and up. For the "OVA Fan", "Special Fan" and "ONA Fan", I think they're fine the way they are. Keep them as is.

Well these are all the little suggestions I have for now. I hope you would reconsider. :) Thank you for reading!
Dec 6, 2017 4:01 AM

Mar 2016
LunyRed said:
Those new badges! Wow... *^* I'm totally in favor of these much more than the "Re-watcher" badge, which was a shame that the latter didn't work properly. Thank you for adding these new badges! :D

I'd like to suggest some small changes for a couple of these new badges because I think some of them feel a little off.

First off, the "ONA Fan". The next levels after 100 are 500 and 1000. Uhm.....1000 for ONA Fan is impossible to reach, because there doesn't seem to be over 1000 different ONA in the MAL anime database. The highest total I've seen so far for ONA is from spacecowboy with a total of 760 ONA at the time of this post.

I suggest removing the 1000 for ONA fan and, instead, make a level in between 100 and 500. How about add a new level of 300 in between them while removing the 1000? That would make more sense.

----

Another minor issue I have is the xp value for the "TV Fan" badge. Completing a TV anime takes the most time. More time than completing an anime movie, OVA, anime special, or ONA. I think this badge deserves more xp than the other 4 categories and it just doesn't sit well with me to see it with low xp. This reminds me of my previous argument with the "Very Long Anime Fan" when it originally had very few xp when I first saw that badge.

One more thing. The "Movie Fan" badge actually has more xp than the "TV Fan" badge. Here are the levels and xp earned for Movie Fan:

Xp earned: 200, 500, 1000, 1500, 2000, 2500, 5000, 10000

As opposed to the "TV Fan" badge which I think feels somewhat inferior to the former with these xp:

Xp earned: 50, 250, 500, 1000, 1500, 2000, 3000, 5000

I just think the xp need a slight boost/increase. Just imagine how many TV anime there are in the MAL database with 30 episodes and up. For the "OVA Fan", "Special Fan" and "ONA Fan", I think they're fine the way they are. Keep them as is.

Well these are all the little suggestions I have for now. I hope you would reconsider. :) Thank you for reading!

Yeah you're right :)
I have change it

Dec 6, 2017 4:23 AM
Luny Tunes

Feb 2012
Awesome! :D Thank you very much for considering and for the quick changes! I really appreciate them. ^^

Keep up the good work and thanks again for creating Mal-badges! o/
Dec 6, 2017 8:52 PM

Jan 2011
Jikan_ said:
lanblade said:

Hi,

Bye

Uh oh, I think something went wrong. Now it shows 1980 has 20 less anime rather than 1981 and 1982 having 10 less anime each.
Dec 7, 2017 12:49 AM

Mar 2016
lanblade said:
Jikan_ said:

Hi,

Bye

Uh oh, I think something went wrong. Now it shows 1980 has 20 less anime rather than 1981 and 1982 having 10 less anime each.

I don't understand what you saying. Can you explain it with more details please ?

Thanks

Dec 7, 2017 2:14 PM

Jan 2011
Jikan_ said:
lanblade said:

I don't understand what you saying. Can you explain it with more details please ?

Thanks

Maybe I'm not remembering the maximum levels correctly. Was the maximum level for 1980 always 30 anime?
Dec 8, 2017 2:16 AM

Mar 2016
lanblade said:
Jikan_ said:

Thanks

Maybe I'm not remembering the maximum levels correctly. Was the maximum level for 1980 always 30 anime?

lanblade said:
Jikan_ said:

Thanks

If I check on myanimelist 1980 season :
Spring
Summer
Fall
Winter
They are :

• 13 anime in Spring
  • 13 anime in Summer
  • 12 anime in Fall
  • 15 anime in Winter

So they are 53 anime in 1980.

Does this answer your question ?

Dec 8, 2017 1:04 PM

Jan 2011
@Jikan_ , yes that does. Thank you.
Dec 17, 2017 3:37 PM
Jul 2018
Change "Short Anime Fan" from 1 to 12 episodes to 1 to 13 episodes, "Medium Anime Fan" from 13 to 24 episodes to 14 to 27 episodes, and "Long Anime Fan" from 25 to 100 episodes to 28 to 100 episodes. Reason should be rather obvious, its not uncommon to see one cour anime have 13 episodes, and its not that uncommon to see two cours anime have up to 27 episodes.

More flexible numbers would actually look something like:
  • Short Anime Fan: from 1 to 20 episodes, just to be safe and include stuff like Nagato Yuki-chan no Shoushitsu.
  • Medium Anime Fan: from 21 to 30 episodes, again just to be safe.
  • Long Anime Fan: from 31 to 100 episodes.
I haven't read this thread, so sorry if someone else has already suggested that, but even then I would like to know your opinion on this.
Dec 18, 2017 3:32 AM

Mar 2016
Abajur said:
Change "Short Anime Fan" from 1 to 12 episodes to 1 to 13 episodes, "Medium Anime Fan" from 13 to 24 episodes to 14 to 27 episodes, and "Long Anime Fan" from 25 to 100 episodes to 28 to 100 episodes. Reason should be rather obvious, its not uncommon to see one cour anime have 13 episodes, and its not that uncommon to see two cours anime have up to 27 episodes.

More flexible numbers would actually look something like:
  • Short Anime Fan: from 1 to 20 episodes, just to be safe and include stuff like Nagato Yuki-chan no Shoushitsu.
  • Medium Anime Fan: from 21 to 30 episodes, again just to be safe.
  • Long Anime Fan: from 31 to 100 episodes.
I haven't read this thread, so sorry if someone else has already suggested that, but even then I would like to know your opinion on this.

Hi,

Thanks for your time, it's look more correct like you say. I will look about it

Bye :)

Dec 18, 2017 2:13 PM

Dec 2014
I like the way the short, medium, long, very long anime is already it makes more sense from what you see.

Can we have more anime watched badge levels maybe add 3000, 4000, 5000?
Dec 19, 2017 3:59 AM

Mar 2016
shadowbow said:
I like the way the short, medium, long, very long anime is already it makes more sense from what you see.

Can we have more anime watched badge levels maybe add 3000, 4000, 5000?

I note your suggestion ! Will look about it

Dec 23, 2017 2:40 AM

Apr 2014
Hi there!

When I click on the badge it would be very helpful to see what titles it counts in.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Sticky: » Support ( 1 2 3 4 )

Koito91 - Dec 9, 2022

188 by YuraItsuki »»
Apr 19, 7:23 AM

Sticky: » Suggestions ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Koito91 - Dec 13, 2022

204 by _cjessop19_ »»
Mar 29, 2:26 AM

Sticky: » [Mar 3] Current Status

Koito91 - Feb 21

0 by Koito91 »»
Feb 21, 11:04 PM

» Lost/Inaccessible Media taskforce

_cjessop19_ - Jul 18, 2023

18 by IridescentJaune »»
Jul 29, 2023 9:45 PM

» Badges for specific shows considered harmful

inim - Dec 25, 2022

4 by Zevven »»
Jul 8, 2023 2:58 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.