Forum Settings
Forums
your name.
Available on Manga Store
New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Oct 20, 2017 2:25 PM

Jan 2010
kingraptor724 said:
. Why do people love this.

I doubt even half of those who give it 10/10 really loved this. They watched it and gave high score because others do it, kinda like TENSHI said. Another reason would be people genuinely liked it because they are newfags and really never saw such themes in fiction before.
Oct 21, 2017 6:10 AM

Jan 2016
JCDenton1989 said:
kingraptor724 said:

I doubt even half of those who give it 10/10 really loved this. They watched it and gave high score because others do it, kinda like TENSHI said. Another reason would be people genuinely liked it because they are newfags and really never saw such themes in fiction before.

Thanks for summarizing this fact for everyone
Oct 22, 2017 12:54 AM

Sep 2016
JCDenton1989 said:
kingraptor724 said:

I think you're mixing up Kimi no na wa and Pingu.
bruh
Oct 22, 2017 1:26 AM

Jan 2016
FullyCharged said:
JCDenton1989 said:

I think you're mixing up Kimi no na wa and Pingu.

Lol comparing pingu and kimi no nan wa. Pingu isnt a meme, the show is wayyyyy more deeper than it looks on the outside
Oct 22, 2017 7:14 PM

Aug 2009
kingraptor724 said:
Honestly I was extremely unimpressed for what it was rated, and yet its still at the top of mal. What is so great about this anime, the characters werent even interesting. And the whole switching bodies with someone that wished a different life is not unique at all. The story was very simple like a disney movie with no exciting plot twists or anything... Why do people love this.

I share the same opinion. Why do many people like it? The hype. That's all.

I find the story, characters, music very mediocre. Only the animation is good.
Oct 23, 2017 3:21 PM
Sep 2017
EGOIST said:
Because it moved them? I mean why else would shows like Shigatsu, Clannad etc. have higher ratings. Being unique shouldn't even be questioned. As if there's anything unique in this day and age. As you said it's very simple and yet compelling at the same time. If you're expecting anything heavier than that then I don't know what you were expecting. It had nice visuals, sound and directing that made the anime successful. Simple yet beautiful. Not everything has to be complicated nor unique to make a show good

Beautifully said m8
Oct 24, 2017 3:04 AM
Jun 2016
I think you're overreacting, it's a solid 9.9. So a 10
Oct 24, 2017 9:12 AM

Jan 2016
Stunning animation, beautiful music, not the perfect story but above par, feels and just straight up you (most) have a great time!

Oct 24, 2017 7:29 PM

Oct 2014
1. Relatable and generic everyman/woman characters
2. Pretty visuals
3. Soundtrack that is catered to mainstream audiences

Its just a high budget movie made for normies and they ate it up.
Oct 25, 2017 8:44 AM
Mar 2014
suncitygril said:
mainly music and animation

decent plot although I would have much prefered it if in the end they forgot each other and moved on with their lifes

the head can forget but the heart can't ^^
Oct 25, 2017 3:04 PM
Voltekka!

Sep 2017
People like what you don't like, mate. Deal with it.
Oct 26, 2017 11:41 AM

Sep 2007
I'm with you on this.

The two main characters felt very generic to the point where I couldn't relate to them at all (except for the sequence where Taki was traveling to find her village, that was good). I can't name one character trait from either of them and watching two cardboard cutouts fall in love was not very interesting.

Speaking of the romance, it felt really out of the blue since they never actually talked or met, they just met each other's family and friends - but I'm sure there's something I'm missing, because none of Shinkai's romances or SoL anime ever clicked with me. The only movie of his that I liked is Hoshi wo Ou Kodomo and most people say that's his worst work. I just can't see what charmed people so deeply about this movie.

I agree that a movie doesn't need too be complicated or deep to be good, but isn't there a point where they simplify a good idea too much? It doesn't have the depth of characterization of Ghibli movies, it's not as fun as the yearly franchise movies, it's too short to be a proper romance or drama, it stops being a comedy about a third of the way through... what does it actually have left?

It's a beautiful movie like all of Shinkai's works, but is that really worth 10/10?

Also people keep mentioning the soundtrack. Other than that vocal track nothing was memorable - maybe it worked better in the cinema.
KiralyOct 26, 2017 11:47 AM
Oct 27, 2017 9:17 PM

Feb 2017
If you watch it on theater It would be stunning.

MAL score and most user-based rating system are all joke, Imagine trusting plebs and hivemind. Find users who have good sense and rating and use them as a reference. Check my guide to rate
Your taste is trash. Cope, seethe, mald
Oct 27, 2017 10:40 PM
Jun 2014
EvenJellyOn said:
You are the mentally ill if you care what some cartoon is ranked on some website.

^
Love the comments
Nov 1, 2017 11:42 PM

Jun 2015
I think because it's unique. People who watch it in movie probably never watch anything like this. While us otaku have seen this kind of "switching body" scenario. I give it 10 because it's uniqueness. It's just a straight no twist heart touching story. Just like Angle Beats, Clannad, EF. The story simple yet well made and tear jerking.
Nov 9, 2017 6:37 PM
Jul 2018
Beacause they can. You can't control what people like and dislike.
Nov 9, 2017 6:44 PM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
I mean, its not mediocre, its enjoyable but definitly not a 10/10.

More like a 7/10 at best
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Nov 12, 2017 7:04 AM

Mar 2011
Because the movie is intentionally made to have a broad appeal.
I'm sure the studio was filled with men in suits who made sure that they didn't forget any target audience.

It's a good movie, but it has this "flavor of the month" feel to it, just like every movie that Marvel has been churning out in the past decade.
So I sincerely doubt people will be talking about it in 10 years or so.

Now take something like Spirited Away on the other hand..
That movie has aged like fine wine and will be just as loved in 50 years as it is today.
Nov 13, 2017 4:45 PM

Oct 2015
>Mediocre

Replace it with garbage, I can agree.

𝔚𝔞𝔫𝔫𝔞 𝔱𝔬𝔲𝔠𝔥 𝔶𝔬𝔲,
𝔚𝔞𝔫𝔱𝔦𝔫' 𝔶𝔬𝔲 𝔴𝔦𝔱𝔥 𝔞𝔩𝔩 𝔪𝔶 𝔪𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱

Nov 13, 2017 5:20 PM

Aug 2015
The problem I have with Your Name being so high is that in essence, it's a glorified popcorn film with extremely high production value and a lack of coherence in storytelling.

I can see how Your Name can be easily liked, but how do people rate it so high when there's so many flaws in characters and story that cannot be easily dismissed?

Having Your Name at the top would be like putting a Marvel film at the very top of a movie list. Sure, Marvel is fun to watch, but it's nowhere near the best movies.
Nov 13, 2017 5:36 PM

Jun 2013
It just happened to resonate with some, and fall flat for others.

I was on the side it resonated with. I was actually in a terrible mood going into this film, and as the credits rolled I noticed that some negative weight had been lifted.

Even if the movie is shallow at moments, it does manage to convey real feelings: of adolescent wonder; a yearning for something out of reach.

Now layer on top of that the stunning visuals and a fantastic soundtrack... for a lot of people, you have a masterpiece.
Nov 17, 2017 12:23 AM
Jul 2008
JCDenton1989 said:
kingraptor724 said:

I loved the movie. I cried multiple times, and I was so happy to see how it ended. Science Fiction with a deep premise of how the world ended. Also although it may not have been hyper original the fact that it told such a compelling, complex, and simple story is why I will rank this high.
Nov 18, 2017 7:14 AM

Apr 2015
Says the guy who rated Death Note 10/10 and Steins;Gate a 2/10.
Nov 23, 2017 1:05 AM

Apr 2015
I do like the movie but IMO it's so overrated in MAL man like wth.
4th times getting signature banned wtf
Nov 23, 2017 7:45 PM

Sep 2013
I don't its mediocre. Great visuals, sound and the story was good.
Nov 25, 2017 2:33 PM
Oct 2015
Although it's one of those movies where it's just a 'boy meets girl', the slight plot twists, the astounding music and it's amazing scenery all brought it together to create this aesthetically pleasing movie which, "speaks to the heart, not to the mind", which makes the overall film unique.
Heckle was here...
Dec 2, 2017 10:01 AM

Nov 2017
i loved it, it is a great story
Dec 3, 2017 6:28 AM

Jun 2012
I like it because it has god tier backgrounds and artwork, characters that are easy to watch and relate to, great comedy and story with just the right amount of pacing, all tied together with one of my favorite soundtracks I've heard, ever.

The only bad thing I can say about this movie is it has a couple plot holes/contrivances, like how neither of them noticed the date was 3 years off despite most likely writing it down multiple times a day on their school assignments or simply looking at the date in their smartphone, but it doesn't make me like the movie any less.
Dec 17, 2017 10:11 AM
Apr 2015
I see a lot of pissed off peeps whom love Your Name.
I felt nothing though I when I watched it. I watched it two times and felt nothing still.
Dec 17, 2017 10:32 AM

Sep 2017
because normies love pretty colors. why else?
dlwuikJan 26, 2018 5:20 AM
Edward Elric > your waifu

Dec 17, 2017 4:54 PM

May 2017
Because it's a work of art. Also it's the first time I've seen a brand new anime film on the big screen, so it will always have a special place.
Dec 17, 2017 5:46 PM

Aug 2013
Great visuals but otherwise it's just alright, nothing special at all.

Insanely overrated
Dec 18, 2017 3:55 AM
Mar 2013
kingraptor724 said:
Honestly I was extremely unimpressed for what it was rated, and yet its still at the top of mal. What is so great about this anime, the characters werent even interesting. And the whole switching bodies with someone that wished a different life is not unique at all. The story was very simple like a disney movie with no exciting plot twists or anything... Why do people love this.

Why do you love Valkyria Chronicles so much? It's so mediocore.
Dec 29, 2017 4:45 PM
Dec 2017
I agree, I watched it and liked, but not that much. Makoto Shinkai’s other movies were a lot better than Kimi no Na Wa. My girlfriend hated it, and she loves romance and drama anime. I really loved Makoto’s movies, so I espected it to be at least as good as people said it was, and I thought I would finally find an anime that would make me feel the same way as Madoka Magica and AnoHana did (the only animes that actually made me cry), only to find out that the movie is good but just slightly above average. And I really don’t care about plot holes, something Kimi no na Wa has in large amounts (Madoka itself is full of plot holes, and yet, is my favorite anime).
Dec 29, 2017 4:47 PM
Dec 2017
I agree, I watched it and liked, but not that much. Makoto Shinkai’s other movies were a lot better than Kimi no Na Wa. My girlfriend hated it, and she loves romance and drama anime. I really loved Makoto’s movies, so I espected it to be at least as good as people said it was, and I thought I would finally find an anime that would make me feel the same way as Madoka Magica and AnoHana did (the only animes that actually made me cry), only to find out that the movie is good but just slightly above average. And I really don’t care about plot holes, something Kimi no na Wa has in large amounts (Madoka itself is full of plot holes, and yet, is my favorite anime).
Jan 6, 2018 4:36 AM
Jul 2018
I shouldn't have rewatched it. :/ Okay, I still like it much (for me, can't decide between 7 and 8), but it wasn't the same feeling as in the cinema and felt duller. I think, that's a movie with the "cinema-effect" and "big-screen effect". You are so distracted by the beautiful visuals and dragged in because of them.
Jan 7, 2018 5:34 PM

Dec 2012
I rewatched earlier today, and I still felt the same way as I did the first time I watched it.

The best way to describe it is it left me emotionally exhausted, but in a positive way. I had similar feelings after watching FMA:B and S;G.

The film touches on a lot of concepts that draw people. There's romance/a love story connecting two ordinary people (people can relate to them), destiny, culture, urgency, feeling of loneliness, time travel, being in another's shoes, life in bustling city vs idyllic country, growing up, a hopeful happy ending, and obviously solid voice-acting and fantastic art and music to wrap it all up.

It's not a complex film by any means, but it packages everything well enough that leaves it moving.
Jan 9, 2018 2:04 PM
Nov 2012
Just saw it in cinema's, thought it was good, but not the 9.2 score mal gave it

That said, i can't focus in cinema's since i don't feel comfy watching shit there, so maybe if i watched it at home it be different. I just don't get any feels if i watch it outside my room x)

And i just prefer series over movies, i always feel they pacing is better.
MinizavJan 10, 2018 4:57 AM
Jan 10, 2018 8:02 PM

Feb 2015
Since there has been many posts and comments about Kimi no Na wa that annoyed me a lot, I decided to finally watch it. xD I was ready to bash it and crush it with my disappointment. I guess its because I was annoyed how many times I seen a post be like "omg. this is the greatest anime of all time. It is even better than Spirited Away".

Tbh, the movie is not that bad. But I wouldn't rate this high as a 9.2 or 10 or whatever high rating it has. I wouldn't go far to make it rank #2. I enjoyed the movie though. I would rate it a solid 8 tops.

The music, animation, and scenery were beautiful and nice xD Very stunning. Thats probably why I rate it somewhere in 8 range.

However, I guess its the story that kinda bothered me a little bit. I could see it being a typical romance movie with a simple storyline. But since these two characters switch bodies in some days in the week, I'm just wondering how did they fall in love with each other? They haven't met each other or got to know each other besides what they see/experience during the time but they would forget it later when they switch back. I don't know if its just me or if i'm just some heartless, soulless person who has no romance in my life and is just a single lady with no boyfriend ;-;, but I feel like them falling in love with each other was somewhat quick and unexpected/surprising/vague/"a word that describes how unusual this is". x'D
I didn't understand how the romance work. I was thinking Miki and Taki would get together but I guess not. And I was thinking it would be great if Taki and Mitsuha were friends. I don't know.

The thing that they most likely would remember is them touching the other person's private area. xD
My interpretation of the scenario when they finally meet:
Mitsuha: "AH! you're the guy who I checked to see if I actually had a penis to confirm that I was a boy and took pictures of desserts on your phone from that one cafe."
Taki: "You're the girl who I kept touching your boobs every morning while wooing a lot of people at school with my athletic skills."
I would have thought this is how they fell in love with each other. xD
Jan 11, 2018 11:59 AM

Dec 2017
Excellent art + mediocre plot = Kimi no Na wa?
Least degenerate visual novel enjoyer.

Jan 11, 2018 12:02 PM

Dec 2017
It is the same reason as why you don't like this movie, bruh. It's called preferences. Get used to it.
Jan 12, 2018 12:32 AM

Dec 2016
kingraptor724 said:
Just goes to show that if you give people eye candy art + contrived feels (albeit with a damn good OST) + happy romantic end, insta-9.2 rating.
Jan 12, 2018 11:02 PM

Mar 2009
I don't know what there is to say that hasn't already been said, but Your Name. is a good, solid movie that's highly accessible (and therefore has the major strength of mainstream appeal). The quality of the presentation is likely to cause viewers to overlook the relatively shallow nature of the film's actual content and become emotionally invested. With a likable (if not deep) cast, a solid and engaging (if not complex) story, and an emotionally rich atmosphere (if not a thematically rich narrative), it's easy to remain invested (or to become increasingly captivated) throughout the duration of the film; and then the almost-surprise happy ending makes it easy to leave the film with a highly positive impression.

Of course, being engineered to be easy to like doesn't make something a classic on its own, so I would expect its rating to fall gently over time.

YummyYogurt said:
I'm just wondering how did they fall in love with each other? They haven't met each other or got to know each other besides what they see/experience during the time but they would forget it later when they switch back. I don't know if its just me or if i'm just some heartless, soulless person who has no romance in my life and is just a single lady with no boyfriend ;-;, but I feel like them falling in love with each other was somewhat quick and unexpected/surprising/vague/"a word that describes how unusual this is". x'D
I didn't understand how the romance work.
I also feel like it was rushed, but, for your consideration, here's one interesting, nontraditional definition of love that's been solidly upvoted: "Love is giving someone the power to destroy you, and trusting them not to." Mitsuha and Taki are implicitly given the power to destroy each other, and yet they try to use that power to help each other, despite how awkwardly they may go about doing so.
ZetaAspectJan 12, 2018 11:06 PM
Graph provided to verify that I am a CERTIFIED pretentious jerk.
Jan 14, 2018 12:37 AM

Dec 2017
I personally found it to be very enjoyable. Maybe you just have different preferences?
Jan 14, 2018 5:51 AM

Nov 2016
It was great. One of my ten 10/10s I've given. The story was simple yet beautiful, the art and animation were great, and I loved the OST
Jan 14, 2018 6:00 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
mediocre? Where you watch the mediocrity? I understand that you can like or not like because every person has their taste, but this film is so far from the mediocrity!!!

An advice: Watch a little more anime, and after re-watch it, if you have the same opinion, that is "mediocre", it´s that you don´t like the anime/animation, is not guilty of the film!!!

The quality animation was nice, although the plot, with this turn in the middle, was amazing1!!
Jan 14, 2018 8:12 AM

Jan 2012
It was good but people are easily impressed by nice visuals. As visuals get better and better as time goes on, I have noticed that anime ratings keep getting higher.
Jan 17, 2018 10:36 AM

Jan 2018
this bitch obviously have no taste.
Jan 19, 2018 7:17 AM

May 2016
I also don't understand why Your Name is overrated. I watched the movie with high expectations, since, i.e hype , but it was a bit of a meh for me. I like it, but it's just not one of my favorites.

Say, (genuinely asking), what are the other important impacts of the movie to the viewers? I can agree with the OST and visuals one.
Jan 22, 2018 9:49 PM

Oct 2017
No idea, this anime sucked. can't believe this was so successful, what a disappointment
Aardwolf94Jan 23, 2018 9:35 AM
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kimi no Na wa. Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

checkdafool - Jul 3, 2016

1385 by Takai_Shinji »»
10 hours ago

» The only couple that could say they’ve been in each others shoes

Angglio_1 - Apr 9

19 by Fenyy »»
Apr 14, 9:03 AM

» Something I found about Makoto Shinkai's other work

past_feelings - Apr 10

36 by TheSkilledSnake »»
Apr 13, 1:25 PM

» Is Your Name the best and worst thing to happen for Makoto Shinkai?

adharshcs - Dec 29, 2023

47 by taleco »»
Jan 2, 1:22 PM

» Happy birthday to you two..

Suka-7777-Suka - Nov 30, 2023

26 by apkaptn1 »»
Jan 2, 10:20 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.