Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Dec 12, 2017 6:33 AM

Jul 2013
Here's something I don't understand. Why do people equate "I hate ONE popular anime" to "I hate popular anime just because it's popular"?

"Hey, what's your opinion on SAO?"
"I think it sucks."
"Well you just hate it because it's popular."

This conversation happens all the time and it's gotten to the point of annoying to me. Like, people will disregard the 10 million problems I have with the show and accuse me for being a hipster just because the show is popular. Despite the fact that I like a lot of other popular shows.
Dec 12, 2017 6:40 AM
Jul 2018
i know a lot of elitits that hate fairy tale but have lucy dakimakura
Dec 12, 2017 6:43 AM
Sep 2015
Because we are all shitty hipsters. We all want to trash popular common anime.

tbh though, if you're not stupid enough, you can see why they are bad. Twilight was popular too, was it not hated?
Dec 12, 2017 6:51 AM
Jul 2018
Most people do these because it'll spark a lot of attention (depending how big a series is), thus hating on these shows = sparks rage towards the fans of said series = utter clusterfuck mess thread / post / comment.

Some others don't necessarily hate mainstream shows per say for being mainstream, some actually hates those series for legitimate reasons.

For example, I dislike Death Note (one of the most acclaimed shows from both critics and the average watcher) because I believe its an utter trainwreck after the first half, which was pretty decent but the series contradicts its own point and turns everything into abysmal in terms of writing.

Of course, this doesn't apply to anime only. This applies to any medium, whether it be movies, games, novels, books, visual novels, etc.
Dec 12, 2017 7:02 AM

Jan 2017
SAO - This anime mostly gets a mixed reaction from what I seen, the haters are very vocal while people who don’t just silently enjoy it.

Attack on Titan - I have no idea where you got that the majority hates AoT, if anything most people like it or find it mediocre (rating something a 5/10 doesn’t mean hate).

Tokyo Ghoul - The hate from this mostly came from fans from the manga/novels, as far as I know the anime is well-liked ignoring the fans of the previous source material.

Also, there’s a lot more popular anime that, in all honesty doesn’t get a lot of hate to begin with. Angel Beats!, Toradora, My Hero Academia, K-On!, etc. All anime will have haters, and this post seems really trollish with your last few remarks.

“Popular anime is always hated” - I guess it depends who you’re taking to but objectively, no. They’re popular for a reason

Also some people are critics on MAL and not casual fans. Please make a better rant next time
Dec 12, 2017 7:19 AM

Oct 2014
They're all trash so of course they're hated.

JK. The reason why is because more people have seen them. The biggest supermarket will have the most food waste because they sell more stuff. Mainstream stuff isn't as interesting to be a fan of so the fans are less vocal about their opinions than the haters are.
Dec 12, 2017 7:26 AM

Oct 2016
The problem is not being popular, is that popular animes are usually poorly written.

These animes you mentioned, all are a good example of this.
Sword art Online - Badly written characters, forced romance and various plot holes
Tokyo Ghoul - Excessive violence, plot holes, poorly written characters, history without direction

I'm not elitist, but I don't like watching any crap
Dec 12, 2017 7:32 AM
Aug 2011
Depends on the series.

If I looked at the most popular,

Death Note (9/10) Loved it

Attack on Titan (6/10) wasn't as big of a fan but I didn't dislike it either.

Sword Art Online (6/10) Similar to the above except I also don't think it's god awful either.

Angel Beats (8/10) I really liked this one.

Naruto (6/10) it was ok, but it's also really flawed.

Mirai Nikki (7/10) it was a good time, also it's really dumb but in a way I like.

One Punch Man (9/10) I loved this one a lot.

Elfen Lied (1/10) this one I used to like, then I got older and realized wow this did not age well and it's actually really really bad.

Fullmetal Alchemist (2003) (9/10) I still need to see brotherhood but this one I really enjoyed.

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann (10/10) one of my all time favorites.

For me personally I do like popular anime, maybe not always to what others like with it either but I do like them generally.

In the top 20 the ones I hate or dislike are Tokyo Ghoul(not finished) and Elfen Lied. Otherwise of the top 20 I really don't fit into the disliking what is popular kind of thing. And just because it is popular, doesn't mean people can't dislike it.
Dec 12, 2017 7:35 AM

Jan 2012
Disliking something that doesn't fit your taste is perfectly fine. But you don't have to make a big fuss about it.

What bothers me is how people go with the flow and claim to dislike something just because they don't want to look bad, even though they might have enjoyed watching that certain anime they bash.

Dec 12, 2017 7:35 AM

Feb 2015
probably a belief that the show ( whichever it may be) isn't good enough to warrant its popularity.
Dec 12, 2017 7:36 AM

Mar 2016
( ^∇^) I love this popular anime

┐( ̄ー ̄)┌ OK, but I like this underrated anime

ヽ(  ̄д ̄;)ノ I don't like that anime you like, it's boring, I prefer that popular anime

(; ̄Д ̄)WTF, I'm not gonna tolerate it anymore, your anime is shit, it was shallow and stupid, mine was artistic, deep and intelligent.
Dec 12, 2017 7:43 AM
Jul 2018
Because they overshadow good anime and by virtue of having more fans have more dumb fans that are very annoying.
Dec 12, 2017 7:54 AM

Apr 2017
didn't realize it was a crime to have negative opinions of things

the obvious explanation that you're overlooking is that 90% of the group you're mad at just doesn't like them

why should I raise my score because other people like attack on titan?
that doesn't affect my enjoyment, or lack thereof

it's art, and people are free to have opinions
since there is no objective measure of what is good, each individual decides that for themself
Dec 12, 2017 8:04 AM

Jul 2016
i hate some popular animes for being popular and highly overrated

for no good reason just like FMAB
Dec 12, 2017 8:24 AM

Sep 2011
Eh I think it's more on the haters are more noticeable on popular anime than on any average anime with exceptions.

Dec 12, 2017 8:27 AM
Oct 2017
I think that, because they are pretty popular, a lot of people watch them and these people do not have the same tastes/preferences. So a lot of people "hate" popular animes because its not to their tastes. The less popular anime are watched by less people and thus less hate.

(This is my opinion)
Dec 12, 2017 8:40 AM

Oct 2013
Alarice said:
what i think rn is :
1. Popular anime always hated
2. The one who hate it is elitist ( 50% ) , or just really hate it ( 50% )
3. It's just that some people like watching intellectually stimulating anime but they want to show it off so they hate on shows to show people how mainstream anime isn't up to their mark
4. they have low self esteem.|

am i wrong ? do you guys have another explanation ?
Im pretty sure its a math thing. The more people watch a show the more fans and haters there will be
now it could very much be the things you mentioned but just because said person is an elitist doesn't mean they don't just hate it as any other person. Being an elitist doesn't make you auto hate a show that is popular but it has more so to do with how they act in response to what they like or dislike or how they treat others
Dec 12, 2017 9:06 AM

Apr 2017
Most people like mainstream anime and that's a fact, they wouldn't be that popular if most people disliked them.
Some persons tend to criticize those shows because they couldn't like them which will automatically make it sound like that. Make it sound like popular anime are shit.
In the internet where most of us like to express their thoughts clearly, we shit on them.

The internet is the thing that makes mainstream shows sound like garbage.

"elles sont bien noires
les pensées des nuits blanches"

Dec 12, 2017 9:32 AM

Apr 2017
This is the internet bro, why are we here for if not to hate on things that everyone likes except but me?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 12, 2017 9:34 AM
Aug 2016
I love threads like this one. The sheer lack of rational thinking in case of some users replying to this thread is just plain hilarious.
Oh and also, stop using words you don't understand the meaning of, please :^(

@LofnEdda ew why are you even replying to this thread you filthy elitist
AsltDec 12, 2017 9:37 AM
Dec 12, 2017 9:44 AM

May 2015
Pixel_Vapour said:
It's not because an anime is popular. It's because I tend to think some popular anime gets too much praise for what it is

This. I think that's what causes the backlash. People believe that there are other shows that deserve more attention and so they start to hate the one receiving it.
。 🐑 𝒩𝑒𝑒𝒹𝓈 𝓈🍩𝓂𝑒 𝑅𝑒𝓈𝓉 🐑 。
Dec 12, 2017 10:38 AM

Oct 2015
No, popular anime isn't always hated. Shows like Steins;Gate, FMA:B, Clannad AS are all quite popular and were mainstream back when they were first aired, and they were all well received.

If, however the show is both popular and known for getting a lot of hate (e.g Sword Art Online), because of a thing called herd mentality some people who otherwise wouldn't mind the show that much might dislike it (or pretend they disliked it, if it makes any sense.). But said people are usually ones who can't/don't want to think for themselves and just accept the popular opinion towards a show and not everyone.
Auron_Dec 12, 2017 10:42 AM
Dec 13, 2017 3:50 AM

Jun 2016
I understand why Because popular anime get more of credit then they deserve and people hype It as best there is. They call It masterpiece and stuffs.

I still don t get how Naruto,Bakemonotagari and Neo genesis evangelion rate highers than most Anime I still confuse why?

But It mostly they get more credit than they deserve and thus neglected others showns thats why People hate It.

People tend to overrated them a lot.
PrideRoyalIvyDec 13, 2017 3:58 AM

Dec 13, 2017 3:52 AM

Feb 2016
I don't have anything against the taste of other people because they can hate and like what they want. But I hate it if people just hate on Animes just because they are highly popular.

I will not believe that everything is controlled by fate.

ll X ll
Dec 13, 2017 4:16 AM

Nov 2017
ZOLANTON said:
Oh I can give lots of reasons why that happens. Some of which

1. People mistake or can't understand the difference between favourite and best.

There is no best anime out there objectively speaking. The ratings may show e.g. Kimi no Nawa but it just happens that it has received the best analogy of most views/highest ratings. It will still have some haters that will believe e.g. FMA Brotherhood is the best anime out there and they will try to passionately (i dont understand why) convince everyone that their choice of anime is the best.

2. Backlashing

If someone tells me X anime is the best of all time just cause, of course I am going to say ''NO. Y anime is better''. Humans don't like to be told what to do/believe by nature and the Internet has become a good way to bring this on surface.

3. Hipsters / Elitism

One of the most annoying categories. Mostly long time anime fans that have watched many series and have discovered some hidden gems and they act all high and mighty when new fans have found something they love. Their anime experience makes them act like arrogant pricks ''Hmm, I am going to give Gintama 4/10. It's ok I guess, but it is so cringy omg. How can this be in top 10. Secrets of a closet otaku (made this up) is much better but you need to have watched many anime to properly appreciate it. Attack on Titan? Overhyped af. 1/10 because there is no 0 available''.

Daaamn I have a worst experience at #3 types of anime fans. And most of them just watched 100-200 shows (hipsters). And as if they don't drop a show they like for the sake of hating it/ giving it a low score with all those "meh" reasons. And the as ifs "elitists" looked down on someone with popular shows in their favorites by telling them "normies" / their taste is shit. Oh well, what can I do. Here in mal people become intellectual by default.
Dec 13, 2017 4:19 AM

Nov 2017
People on real life don't hate popular shows though. Well, I have friends who love them. Here in internet is just different. Lol
Dec 13, 2017 4:35 AM

Oct 2014
Alarice said:
Honestly i dont know why people hate some mainstream anime. all in my head is they try to be cool for not watching mainstream anime aka Edgy. theres nothing wrong in watching mainstream anime. here what anime i think people try to avoid just for make they look " high anime taste "

1. Sword art online (8/10 4 me ) ; sure sure , this is the most hated anime in the community i think. sure there are many " boy " watch it and overrated it. but that not a reason to hate this anime. just watch it as a normal anime. be honest this anime is pretty good if compared with other anime out there. i give u 3 example

2. Attack on titan ( 7/10 4 me ) ; yo dude, another mainstream anime that received huge hate. idk why so. its pretty good , the character, the plot.

3. Tokyo ghoul ( 7/10 for first season ) ; yes i dont like it, but i can admit it actually pretty good. the art. the plot.,

what i think rn is :
1. Popular anime always hated
2. The one who hate it is elitist ( 50% ) , or just really hate it ( 50% )
3. It's just that some people like watching intellectually stimulating anime but they want to show it off so they hate on shows to show people how mainstream anime isn't up to their mark
4. they have low self esteem.|

am i wrong ? do you guys have another explanation ?

Well you are wrong.

1. If All popular shows got hated, then explain to me why Death note, Full metal Alchemist, Gurdn Lagan, Cowboy bebop and many others are not hated.
No popularity is not the cause of hatred and the shows I've mentionned are loved.

2. Being elitist is not a factor, if ppl just don't like the show then they don't like it.

And point 3 and 4 are just baseless assumptions.

Maybe it has to do with the fact that these shows have been watched by many. Which also means that many ppl who don't like the show also have watched it.

And because it's popular doesn't mean that it is good, it just means that it got watched by many ppl and thus is known by many people.
Dec 13, 2017 4:39 AM
Jul 2013
hate = opinion based

possible underlying reasons:

to stand out for attention
preference to certain time periods of anime/art style/company/manga artists
actually don't like it
trolling
Dec 13, 2017 10:09 AM
Mar 2013
From what I noticed the primary reason seems to be either a cry for attention or disappointment due to anime not living up to the expectations or to its full potential.

Why talk about an anime you hate in the first place? It used to be that most common action towards something or someone you hate is to either avoid it or completely ignore it because it is the more logical thing to do. We usually do not eat foods we hate or simply do not like unless there's specific reason to do so like for an example, being dared by someone to eat it or as a challenge of some sort. Why not do the same for an anime you hate?

I won't really go as far as hating an anime just because I am disappointed on how it turned out but some people do and I understand the reason behind it. It takes ages, worse never that an anime gets a second chance because the first one turned out to be a disappointment so most people would prefer that the first try for an anime doesn't turn out to be a disappointment because it would be a really long wait for something that may never come.
Dec 13, 2017 5:12 PM

Sep 2014
Maybe those people who don't like those popular shows have "reasons"...
Like this is not what they like or they have things they don't like in it. But even if they want to avoid those popular shows, it's EVERYWHERE!!! No matter what they do, they'll have those shows in their face like plague...

For instance, I like friendly Red Riding Hood and Wolf. I even have a comic project in preparation with this theme. But in 50% of cases, I got RWBY stuffs. I can't stand this show but, for some reasons, It's damn famous in the internet. I try to see somewhere else (videos, fanarts, etc...) but I still face the popularity of this goddamn "anime". The fans don't help either with their "OMG THIS IS THE MOST EPIC SHOW EVER! IF YOU HATE IT, YOU'RE THE WORST SCUM EVER!!!!".

I'm so tired of this crap I created my avatar. A bigass werewolf killing Ruby.
Dec 13, 2017 5:14 PM

Apr 2017
Blah blah blah blah

Ching chong chang sushiii....

Don't care PLEB

>Just watch some "Chinese Cartoons and do a better BAIT faBBot"
-HippySnob-Dec 14, 2017 12:22 AM

"Think about that glowing dust
That destroys the night sky's dream of
Just being nothing"
----
Dec 13, 2017 5:51 PM

Dec 2017
RnDNEET021 said:
Blah blah blah blah

Ching chong chang sushiii....

Don't care PLEB

>Just watch "Chinese Cartoons and do a better BAIT faBBot"

blah blah blah blah ching chong chang sushii.... luls
Dec 13, 2017 6:03 PM
Jun 2016
I don't hate popular anime..but if its the story is intersting and had some logic I love that anime...
For exemple I don't like SAO because of the story, I mean I liked the first season..after? Got bored and dropped after the icident with Shion (idk if I wrote her name correcly).
Dec 13, 2017 6:06 PM
Jul 2018
Because some people are 2deep4me and some people really just don't like them, because of their personal preferences. The difference is their reason to dislike things and their attitude towards popular stuff. Person 1 dislikes it, because it's popular and person 2 doesn't find the story and characters appealing.
(And I, personally, I'm triggered by rating SAO higher than AOT and TG. ;_; - don't mind me. I had to say that now.)
Dec 13, 2017 6:08 PM
Jul 2018
I generally don't favor popular anime, because they follow certain formulas I've grown out of. They tend to:

A) Be shounen action (My Hero Academia)
B) Try too hard to be dark (Tokyo Ghoul) resulting in a dull anime with dull characters that are never happy (Vinland Saga and Berserk are more f*cked up than popular anime ever will be, yet they manage to not be edgy)
C) Be romances/romcoms I don't care for or am not interested in (Ouran Highschool Host Club)
Dec 13, 2017 6:13 PM

Aug 2017
It shouldn't matter or bother you if something is popular or not. Likewise, it shouldn't matter or bother you that people disagree with you for one reason or another.

Some people are snobs. Some people simply don't like mainstream titles. Can't tell people what they can, can't, should and shouldn't enjoy.

Also this is MAL and we can't speak positively about anything or spooky things happen.
Dec 14, 2017 2:15 AM

Feb 2010
pgmhecateii said:
Alarice said:
7 is good right ? is it low ? sorry im new in this forum idk. i just read the description 7 stand for good and 8 is very good. i think it's not masterpiece or great either but definitely very good and worth watching

7 is a good score, but for popular stuff, it's not. Everything popular is ranked 8 or above, so obviously if you give it a 7, it means you really didn't like it that much.

That doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

1. 30% of the top 100 Most popular anime on this site are still rated below 8.
2. Just because the score of popular shows gets boosted by a lot of casuals who rate everything above 8/10 doesn't mean that for you or me a 7/10 suddenly means something different for those shows. Whether the average score is 8.6 or 5.8, my 7/10 always means roughly the same, which is that the show was good. I don't really see how the average score of a show changes the meaning of 7/10 to 'I really didn't like it that much.' Choosing your rating based on the average score and not how you feel about a show is kinda questionable imo.
I probably regret this post by now.
Dec 14, 2017 3:08 AM

Oct 2017
Some people do hate popular anime because they honestly just didn't enjoy it due to some factors. But to answer your question, popular anime will attract more audience as there will be more people who have heard about it and that's going to spread like wildfire. This in turn means there's going to be a larger number of haters and as they're more vocal, the anime seems to be getting a lot of hate if you look at it from the surface when in truth, there could be a lot of people who loved the anime. I agree there's nothing wrong with mainstream anime so just enjoy and try to ignore what people are saying about it. This scenario also applies to other entertainment contents out there.
My Anime List < Have a good day! > My Manga List
Dec 14, 2017 3:20 AM

May 2017
Do any actual, real people hate on all mainstream/popular anime?
I didn't want to watch Attack on Titan back in the day because it was incredibly popular, but I gave it a chance last year and it was bomb. I love it. I tried the same for Sword Art Online, but nope. Still a shitty anime to me.
Everyone has their own preferences, and popular anime can fit in either 'like' or 'dislike' category.
Dec 14, 2017 3:27 AM

Nov 2017
I disagree!

Really popular anime are sure to have an effect on the rest of the industry (as others try to replicate the success), and so it is fair and good that popular anime are analyzed and discussed, so that their weaknesses do not become a trend.

Discussion and analysis (also called 'hating', depending upon the mood of the writer) allow us to separate the good parts of a given anime from the bad.

Also, Effulgence is absolutely right in what he said.
All Dubs must die!

"Its 2017 and anime is still legal. What the fuck is congress doing" - Totalbiscuit

Dec 14, 2017 3:46 AM
May 2017
I understand the rest you mentioned but who the heck hates Attack on Titan? That anime is masterpiece
Dec 14, 2017 4:28 AM

Nov 2016
Most of them have less than %4 people rated 0-4 (i dont think 5+ is hating) Avrage percentage of peoples who rated top 10 most popular shows 0-4 is %2.75

İts still little higher than unpopular animes with simillar ratings , i think main thing is when you dont like the popular anime you become more harsh because how the hell this many people rated high rating let me give lower than i was about to give so here we go.

İ dont think any person specificly hates all the mainstream animes its just when they dont like it they become more harsh.
Dec 14, 2017 4:38 AM

Aug 2014
Hate wagon are something common in industry.
Dec 14, 2017 5:13 AM
Oct 2008
Standard adolescence mentality. Dont worry too much. Maybe one beatiful day you ll realitě world is not so b/w.
Dec 14, 2017 5:15 AM

Aug 2017
Maybe its because they have reasons for disliking the anime?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 14, 2017 5:21 AM

Jan 2015
Because they don't have anything else to do
Rance X is A GOAT.

Nov 2009
Duh...because they are hipster. Either that or they are just butthurt and triggered that an anime they don't like is more popular than their shitty favorite anime.
'America is a stolen country'
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SM8WZ0ztMuc

Zapredon said:
It doesn't matter if you like LoGH,Monster etc.If you are a jobless or college/school dropout living in your mom basement, you are still an unintelligent loser. Taste in anime does not make you a better person.

Totally agree!

Aug 2013
Popularity has nothing to do with a show being good or not. I personally find those anime that you mentioned above to be bad from a writing perspective, not because they're popular.
Dec 14, 2017 5:42 AM

Oct 2017
Nothing to do with popularity but the Isekai genre is overused so i tend to just avoid it but not hate.
''Enemies' gifts are no gifts and do no good.''
Dec 14, 2017 5:53 AM

Aug 2014
just because people don't like an anime you don't like doesn't mean they don't like it because it's popular

that said for the case of SAO and such it's probably the hate circlejerk based around digibro/mothers basement and other assorted shitty anime youtubers who are obsessed over a mediocre show so it gets overhated for a pretty average anime
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

» Skibidi toilet piece (One piece story but with skibidi toilet)

Cyborgium - 4 hours ago

10 by Nemo_Niemand »»
50 seconds ago

Poll: » Interest and hobbies change with time

nishant0 - Yesterday

36 by Miyamotodex23 »»
13 minutes ago

» Did you know that anime is amazing?

KryzakamiHrybami - Yesterday

14 by KryzakamiHrybami »»
17 minutes ago

» Anime Misandry ( 1 2 3 )

ColourWheel - Apr 21

111 by logopolis »»
20 minutes ago

» I made a fake anime seasonal chart using AI. Which of these sounds interesting to you? ( 1 2 3 )

FFandMMfan - Apr 13

122 by BigBoyAdvance »»
29 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.