Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »
Nov 26, 2017 10:57 AM

Oct 2014
Who knows. I was hoping someone would explain it to me.
Nov 26, 2017 11:01 AM
Oct 2015
Well people's tastes are different. I personally love the story, characters and music. But as stated: we're all different. A example is that I don't see the intreresting in Naruto or One Piece - but choose to agree to disagree because why bother? :)
If my English is bad it may be because I am bad at the English language and because it's not my first language.
Nov 26, 2017 11:07 AM

Dec 2016
More or less high rated like a bad-empty anime like one punch man / mob psycho
Signature removed. Please have a positive iq.
Dec 2, 2017 1:42 PM
Nov 2015
I dropped the original manga after only 6 chapters , but i can fully understand why a large number of people like it , it has a unique atmosphere and good pace with perfect amount of mystery, also the art in the anime is very beautiful .
Dec 2, 2017 5:52 PM

Feb 2008
It is high quality work by high quality people. Read the manga, then watch the show. You will understand.
Dec 3, 2017 4:13 AM
May 2017
MomoSinX said:
Kittens-kun said:
The rankings are high because of the pre-screening events. Not saying it's bad, I actually like it quite a bit. But if not for those ratings before it's official air date, it probably wouldn't be the highest ranked or watched show of the season.

I think the prequel ova probably contributed a lot too.
I think the prequel ova was way story wise where as the anime is kinda all over the place
Dec 3, 2017 4:22 AM

Nov 2017
zzzeally said:
Not too highly rated think 8.56 is about right

Show seems to have a lot of potential
It's just one of those slow burners. Though i can see the pacing being a turn off for some.

Thanks for putting it so well, that's how I feel. I'd give the OVA a ten but not the series, and its absolutely down to issues with the pacing.

Perhaps if you binged this all at once it would become a non issue, however when you are waiting a week for some answers and then get a ploddingly slow episode it can fill you with disappointment.

I mean its still beautiful and I would love to see a movie version, however though the OVA is a 10 for me the series is an 8 atm, which is a shame as art wise I would love to be scoring this as AOTS - however Net ju Susume surprisingly wins that this season.
Dec 3, 2017 8:20 AM

Apr 2013
well for me this and Inuyashiki are the best of the season. Mahoutsukai offers sth rare, a beautiful magical world that is worth exploring. With each episode I want to know more about this world and about our characters. With each episode passing I get more and more mesmerized by the anime, thinking that there's a vast magic world yet unexplored. Not to mention that the main pairing is so unsual yet so beautiful. Also the ED is pure art. I love it from start to finish leaving me with a bitterseet taste everytime it finishes it.
A Story will always come to it's end. The thing is, will you move on after it's over?
Dec 3, 2017 2:56 PM

Jun 2008
Well there's lot of reasons why this is high rated I think. It might be because:
- Beautiful animation
- Faithful adaption of manga
- because it has a Natsume Yuujinchou's "feel"
- Because Beauty & the Beast plot is always popular in fiction.
IMO, there might be so many reasons,as the studio who's producing it also might help increase popularity of an anime. Nowadays "popular" shows are always gory/violent, so when a slice of life comes and its well paced, ratings increase because many action/fantasy shows are popular, but not so many Slice of life.
I personally find it interesting, although not "awesome", because I'm not yet emotionally connected to the characters. But its nice to have a genre like this once in a while.

ワンダーランド花 ♥

Dec 3, 2017 10:59 PM

Aug 2013
I don't find this show interesting, so I don't understand why everyone else finds it interesting and I don't think it should be rated so high.

Did I sum that up well enough OP?

I'm baffled as to how this thread hasn't been locked or deleted yet. I'm seeing way to many of these shitpost whine threads in seasonal anime anymore.
Dec 4, 2017 6:56 AM

Oct 2013
Jonesy974 said:
I don't find this show interesting, so I don't understand why everyone else finds it interesting and I don't think it should be rated so high.

I'm baffled as to how this thread hasn't been locked or deleted yet. I'm seeing way to many of these shitpost whine threads in seasonal anime anymore.

No, you didn't. The point is to discuss WHY is it that interesting or highly rated.
Dec 4, 2017 9:41 AM

Feb 2016
Akai012 said:
There's been a lot of works promoting the series before it aired like the OVAs doing an extremely well job for its story to contribute high ratings for this show. While the ratings are high, I expect they will somewhat lower midway into the series because the story pacing is slow, which will bore those who are looking for drama or intense action as there aren't a lot of them.

Besides promotion, how this show captivates the audience isn't just the story, it is the phenomenon of the unexplained and the mystical lore of beings only thought to be of a fairy tale. We want to know more about the world Chise had wander into and so we look at this world in her eyes who had lost its flames to live, and us to see like a child curious of the unknown and wanting to venture this wonderland. The characters involved share a relationship with Chise and makes the story rather charming under a dark premise which we won't get into. I believe this is the reason how this show got its high ratings.

This show was never marketed as having "drama" or "action" so anyone here looking for such qualities in this show either picked it randomly to watch or didn't stop to read the tags. This is a peaceful, atmospheric and gorgeous fantasy world meant to be carefully explored not Dragon Ball Z. But I do agree with your point of the shows appeal and I loved the charm of it from the get go. Couldn't have said it better myself
Dec 4, 2017 9:43 AM

Feb 2016
Jonesy974 said:

Lol while I had this same initial reaction, I guess we're really just having a discussion as to why rather than just saying it's not good or is overrated. And I actually think we can convince or fellow anime lovers here that this is a great show!
Dec 4, 2017 1:39 PM

Nov 2008
Most likely the ova was responsible, otherwise I find that it's really good with the characters and animation and art. The episodes have really good stories and have good emotional parts that can make you sad or happy, and they kind of leave you wanting more for the next episode.

Dec 4, 2017 7:04 PM

Aug 2013
Kilara said:
Jonesy974 said:

Lol while I had this same initial reaction, I guess we're really just having a discussion as to why rather than just saying it's not good or is overrated. And I actually think we can convince or fellow anime lovers here that this is a great show!

Yea...I just don't see the point lol. People are stubborn, especially when the title of the thread is "can somebody explain why this show is so highly rated".
I don't see anyone being able to express some mind altering explanation that would change anyone's mind into liking it, just like I don't see anyone who hates it being able to say something to someone who likes the show that will magically make them drop it after we're already going on 10 episodes in.
Dec 4, 2017 10:36 PM

Dec 2013
I can't believe people really compare this show to LWA in term of magic theme anime.

In my opinion LWA is very mediocre show while this one is legit great.
Dec 5, 2017 4:13 AM

Oct 2013
yalvyn said:
I can't believe people really compare this show to LWA in term of magic theme anime.

LWA actually feels magical, not generic like this show.
Dec 5, 2017 5:00 AM

Dec 2013
dc22 said:
yalvyn said:

Exactly opposite IMO.

I really enjoy the lores and traditions in Mahoyome like Paganism British, Gaelic, Abraham religions, Oriental and many more. The author really did her fair share of research and it's show.

On the other hand LWA's magic system was straight from a kid show like Ojamajo Doremi.
Dec 5, 2017 9:01 AM

Oct 2013
yalvyn said:
dc22 said:

Exactly opposite IMO.

I really enjoy the lores and traditions in Mahoyome like Paganism British, Gaelic, Abraham religions, Oriental and many more. The author really did her fair share of research and it's show.

On the other hand LWA's magic system was straight from a kid show like Ojamajo Doremi.

So you didn't pay any atention to the lore in LWA.

Mahoutsukai may have those references but the show itself is generic female self-insert fantasy.
Dec 5, 2017 9:06 AM

Mar 2015
Devil-Flamingo said:

My point being: it has high ratings because it's a good story. Well-written fiction transcends genres, so even if one doesn't like the horror in Frankenstein or the magic in this anime, the story holds its own independently of the genre(s) it belongs to.

I like the show, so I'm not trying to troll you here...but Frankenstein may not be the best example. M. Shelley was 16 when it was written; it was her first novel. Many say it was poorly executed. It is a good story (obviously it has inspired many and has permeated our culture), but well-written is a stretch.
Dec 5, 2017 12:08 PM

Nov 2011
I'm not sure what I think about this show. I think i want to like it more than I actually do and this feeling is with me since waaay back when I started the manga.

My main problem are the scene transitions. They are awkward and sudden in both medias and I usually don't pay to this type attention of thing but it happens too much.

The story is interesting, I kinda like the characters and the magic is okay, but I don't think there's anything special about it.

dc22 said:

Don't think its production quality is actually that high. The OP for example, is somewhat lazy (good music tho). There hasn't been much in the way of animation highlights, the art is good but fairly static.

The opening animation is so lazy it kinda brings down the music for me. Yes, I'm that bothered by it.

All in all, I still like it and I'm still interested but much like Inuyashiki, I don't think it's the best thing this season.
Baby, daijobanai...
Dec 8, 2017 8:00 PM

Sep 2017
As much as I have been enjoying Mahoutsukai no Yome and generally agree it's a very good show, I'm more concerned about the talk about it being a strong contender as an anime classic. It does have the potential to be a classic due in part to its more artistically focused approach, but I'm not buying into the hype. I'm reserving judgment for the last episode, because there is the possibility it might lose its way due to it catching up to or deviating from the manga.

That said, it's a soothing and relaxing experience next to a good portion of entertainment I consume. Maybe it doesn't need to be anything more for me than that, which is fine.
Dec 10, 2017 4:11 PM

Apr 2017
Depends on the mood.

Quite stellar since how the parts in the series we're less aesthetic more than from the manga.. Where most people are pretty less bump out of how they portrayed set main characters in a grandiose tale as It defies more visuals and impact between a path of becoming a sorcerer

Well... If it's you get turns-off about the whole master-servant/slave thing.. relationship.. then don't force it

"Think about that glowing dust
That destroys the night sky's dream of
Just being nothing"
----
Dec 10, 2017 4:14 PM

Sep 2016
dc22 said:
yalvyn said:

Exactly opposite IMO.

So you didn't pay any atention to the lore in LWA.

Mahoutsukai may have those references but the show itself is generic female self-insert fantasy.
poor man's 50 shades of grey
CrossAnge

Hey guys check my profile for current airing season anime recommendation (guaranteed best taste)
Dec 10, 2017 4:14 PM

Oct 2017
Pretty visuals and its not like an overused isekai.
''Enemies' gifts are no gifts and do no good.''
Dec 10, 2017 4:50 PM
Voltekka!

Sep 2017
Its because people like it. There will aways be a few anime won't like while everyone else does.
Dec 12, 2017 3:19 PM
Jul 2018
Here I come to defend poor Yome again! x3

So, why this anime is absolutely amazing!

- The special magic system etc... the magic is something really mysterious and just different. There is a German YA-book called Krabat und you usually read it in classes. The magic reminds me in some weird ways of it.
- Really, it's just very different than your typical High Fantasy-magic-system
- the origin creatures and magic have this Celtic and Irish vibes / many things there are Celtic and Irish
- the "Natsume"-vibes of it, really. It's beautifully episodic.
- the wonderful-melancholic atmosphere
- you want to learn everything about the people and creatures there
- Chise!
- Chise's character development so far and her interesting relationship to Elias and Ruth
- Ruth! I love Ruth and how he views Chise as his sister
- Elias has an interesting backstory and I come to love him more and more every chapter / episode
- Especially the women in Yome are great
- AND the visuals are soo wonderful. They support the beautiful magic and creatures, it looks so lovely x3
- not only the creatures and magic. The OSTs
- the opening is amazing and the ending is very good too.
- also dragons and cats are there lol
- srsly, they are cute-cuddle-dragons
- and fairies, mean yet beautiful and cute fairies
removed-userDec 12, 2017 3:36 PM
Dec 15, 2017 7:05 PM

Aug 2012
Maneki-Mew said:

- The special magic system etc... the magic is something really mysterious and just different. There is a German YA-book called Krabat und you usually read it in classes. The magic reminds me in some weird ways of it.
- the origin creatures and magic have this Celtic and Irish vibes / many things there are Celtic and Irish
- Chise!
- Chise's character development so far and her interesting relationship to Elias and Ruth
- Elias has an interesting backstory and I come to love him more and more every chapter / episode
- AND the visuals are soo wonderful. They support the beautiful magic and creatures, it looks so lovely x3

Please dont compare Natsume with this garbage, this anime is like the The Twilight Saga of the anime, because is a so bad, but but have a lot a fangirls of 15 years old.
The only thing because i give it a 3 instead a 1 is for the beatiful art
Dec 15, 2017 8:06 PM
Jul 2018
Mario_Isla said:

Please dont compare Natsume with this garbage, this anime is like the The Twilight Saga of the anime, because is a so bad, but but have a lot a fangirls of 15 years old.

Or maybe people need to watch more than 3 episodes to know what's up? ;)
Dec 15, 2017 8:10 PM
Jun 2015
Mario_Isla said:
Maneki-Mew said:

- Chise!

Oo look at me I'm edgy and give shit a 1 hurr durr im being generous and giving it a 3 hurr durr im still watching it even though i gave it a 3 hurr durr

I am absolutely mortified that someone who has the knowledge and diligence to place the masterpiece known as Steins;Gate in their favorites would stoop to this level of blatant ignorance and misrating of a good show. Baka
Dec 15, 2017 8:27 PM

Aug 2012
Eight-Man said:
Mario_Isla said:

Oo look at me I'm edgy and give shit a 1 hurr durr im being generous and giving it a 3 hurr durr im still watching it even though i gave it a 3 hurr durr

I am absolutely mortified that someone who has the knowledge and diligence to place the masterpiece known as Steins;Gate in their favorites would stoop to this level of blatant ignorance and misrating of a good show. Baka

My displeasure with this anime is mainly due to the strange relationship between both characters. It's disgusting from my point of view.
Anyway my score will not count because I only saw 4 chapters.
Dec 17, 2017 9:05 AM

Jan 2011
Maybe because the season sux?
Score of 8.5 is not that high and its totally deserved IMO. Its not this show's fault that the rest are crap.
Dec 17, 2017 9:07 AM

Sep 2017
because of the pretty animation, literally no other reason. it's a pretty dull and overhyped show. if it didn't look all that pretty, then it'd be lower than 8
Edward Elric > your waifu

Dec 17, 2017 10:30 AM

Mar 2011
Pretty animation, faithful to source, interesting stories (cause she show is not just Chise x Elias, there are other characters from which we see backstory), and concept in general about magic is what attracts me most.
But definitely is not a show for everyone. Tho I don't think the score is wrong
Dec 17, 2017 11:14 AM

Jul 2015
I personally feel the things which made this anime popular to fans(including myself) are:-

I)The Plot

II)The magic setting

III)Great characterisation(mos in Chise & Elias)

IV)And the Anime being faithful to the Manga.

Dec 17, 2017 12:35 PM

Oct 2013
AlexGK said:
Score of 8.5 is not that high and its totally deserved IMO. Its not this show's fault that the rest are crap.

There are at least 4 other shows easily better than HnK airing this season, in my opinion.
Dec 17, 2017 1:33 PM

Jan 2011
dc22 said:
AlexGK said:

There are at least 4 other shows easily better than HnK airing this season, in my opinion.

Like? Maybe i dropped something too fast :/
Got to admit I dont have much time lately, so I might have not given stuff enough chance to shine :)
Dec 17, 2017 1:54 PM

May 2015
Mario_Isla said:
Eight-Man said:

My displeasure with this anime is mainly due to the strange relationship between both characters. It's disgusting from my point of view.

If you think it's disgusting, then you need thicker skin.

Dec 17, 2017 2:11 PM

Aug 2012
Kittens-kun said:
Mario_Isla said:

If you think it's disgusting, then you need thicker skin.

What mean that? can sound dumb but iam spanish speaker and that doest make sense
Dec 17, 2017 4:00 PM

Oct 2013
AlexGK said:
dc22 said:

Got to admit I dont have much time lately, so I might have not given stuff enough chance to shine :)

If you're interested, Inuyashiki, Girls Last Tour and Houseki no Kuni.
One is a sequel tho (Kekkai Sensen S2).
Dec 17, 2017 4:13 PM
Nov 2016
T
TheServant said:
Because many people like it. Simple.

He knows that, the question is WHY

Sorry for necropost
Dec 17, 2017 4:16 PM
Jun 2014
I disagree, this anime really deserves all this attention it gets. People who drop it before or shit talk, either is dumb and don't know if an anime is 24 episodes long, it will be slow paced so there will take time to build shit up or just completely brain-dead. It could also just not be for you, but I highly doubt anyone is smart enough to figure that out...
Dec 17, 2017 4:49 PM
Jan 2016
RoboRaptor said:
He knows that, the question is WHY

Sorry for necropost

Does he? That's good to hear.
Dec 18, 2017 12:05 AM

Jan 2011
dc22 said:
AlexGK said:

If you're interested, Inuyashiki, Girls Last Tour and Houseki no Kuni.
One is a sequel tho (Kekkai Sensen S2).

Thanks.
I never gave a shot to any of those, time to do so :)
Dec 29, 2017 11:15 AM

Feb 2013
Romance hungry viewers, innit fam?
Dec 30, 2017 1:29 AM

Apr 2015
Vivekananda said:
I personally feel the things which made this anime popular to fans(including myself) are:-

I)The Plot
II)The magic setting

Agree! I have to add I've been crying every episode since the start. For me it's so beautiful and amazing that I get tears in my eyes. I just love it. My favorite this season! Sadly I've dropped some animes this season, but not this one! I hope it never ends. I need more of this.
Dec 30, 2017 1:32 AM

Nov 2014
dc22 said:
I mean it's the most popular anime this season, and the highest rated non-sequel. But I'm really struggling to find something interesting about it.

Maybe it's the overdose of classical magic shows lately...
I can admit that it is a good story, but it is one that I don't personally enjoy. For starters, I rarely like shows where the main character is a girl (I'm a shounen kind of guy), but the main reason I dropped it was because of the fact that
One at a time!
Dec 30, 2017 1:33 AM

Jul 2015
OwlHeart said:
Vivekananda said:

I)The Plot
II)The magic setting

Agree! I have to add I've been crying every episode since the start. For me it's so beautiful and amazing that I get tears in my eyes. I just love it. My favorite this season! Sadly I've dropped some animes this season, but not this one! I hope it never ends. I need more of this.

Yeah

Only 24 episodes from what I heard from the manga it will take some time for us to get S2.

Dec 30, 2017 2:23 AM

Jul 2014
Because it explores a new magical world i think.
However while I had been reading the manga nothing got me so I dropped it
ani147Dec 30, 2017 2:30 AM

Dec 30, 2017 4:42 AM
Apr 2016
Zodiac said:
dc22 said:
I mean it's the most popular anime this season, and the highest rated non-sequel. But I'm really struggling to find something interesting about it.

Maybe it's the overdose of classical magic shows lately...
I can admit that it is a good story, but it is one that I don't personally enjoy. For starters, I rarely like shows where the main character is a girl (I'm a shounen kind of guy), but the main reason I dropped it was because of the fact that

For me it's the opposite, their relationship doesn't bother me at all since Elias' character revolves around his way of thinking that is kind of distant from what normal human morals.
What irks me is how the story is too 'safe' for our MC, like every good things or help she needed fall into her lap just like that despite her being so darn passive most of the time.
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mahoutsukai no Yome Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Mills - Jul 26, 2017

375 by yelansh »»
Mar 30, 2:43 PM

Poll: » Mahoutsukai no Yome Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 23, 2018

266 by NotBonBon »»
Mar 24, 4:30 PM

Poll: » Mahoutsukai no Yome Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 3, 2018

81 by hales_comet »»
Feb 22, 8:24 PM

Poll: » Mahoutsukai no Yome Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

UrbanJahts - Jul 26, 2017

247 by hales_comet »»
Feb 21, 8:09 PM

Poll: » Mahoutsukai no Yome Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Nov 4, 2017

189 by satyamkumar4005 »»
Jan 12, 9:00 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.