Forum Settings
Forums

Changes that you're glad they make in an anime adaptations

New
Nov 30, 2017 12:31 AM
Nov 2017
We all know that anime adaptation sometimes can totally deviate from their original sources, whether its manga, game or LN. Sometimes, it can be something as simple as different eye/ hair colours. Sometimes they can even changes the MC origin story completely. Sometimes they makes changes so great that is not even the same series from their original source anymore.

I always see people got mad when an anime adaptation is making changes from their original sources. So today, i want to ask some people this question.

What are some changes that you're glad they make in an anime adaptations from their original work?

I hope my questions make sense because for the past 30 minutes i've been thinking how to phrase the question..
Nov 30, 2017 12:49 AM
Haruna Sairenji

Jan 2017
The kisses were 10000 times better in the Prisma Illya anime.
KushHazeNov 30, 2017 12:53 AM
Nov 30, 2017 1:00 AM

Mar 2016
SAO and SNK - great adaptation so far compared to the original.

Hmm Fuuka? I haven't watched the anime, but I've heard that it's not tragic compared to the manga.

Made in Abyss, some parts of it are not from the manga but it follows the logic of the plot.
Nov 30, 2017 1:04 AM

Mar 2017
the generic ones only have 12 episodes
An admin's dickhead Soul banned me from MAL t('v't)
Nov 30, 2017 2:43 AM
Jul 2018
Ghost in the shell: stand alone complex series is a better crime drama than the original manga where it is more comedy based.
Nov 30, 2017 2:49 AM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
that would have to be adding more fanservice... since i know most of the time its the opposite and its usually them taking much of it out
Nov 30, 2017 3:13 AM

Oct 2014
"Dub Goku"
"IT'S OVER 9000!!"

The super Sayan speech in the dub and etc.
Nov 30, 2017 3:22 AM

Jan 2011
DiU putting Cinderella before Quiet Life was a change I was hoping for from the start. What they did with Super Fly, Engima Boy, and Cheap Trick was nice too.

EcchiKingMamster said:
that would have to be adding more fanservice... since i know most of the time its the opposite and its usually them taking much of it out
Motto To Love-Ru comes to mind for this. Too bad Darkness does the opposite.
Nov 30, 2017 3:22 AM

Feb 2016
Baccano - I'm glad they didn't follow exactly the same style of storytelling(?) as the novel. The anime turned out great because of that I think.
FMA - I'm not a fan of Brotherhood - so I really loved the first version of the FMA Anime - especially the ending.
Nov 30, 2017 3:30 AM

Apr 2017
Inb4 comparing SSY manga over anime..

It lacks more sh*tty fanservice.. Salty fags we're too THIRSTY for it

"Think about that glowing dust
That destroys the night sky's dream of
Just being nothing"
----
Nov 30, 2017 3:37 AM

Jul 2013
I really liked how the DiU anime adapted the three last enemy Stands before the final confrontation against Kira (Super Fly, Cheap Trick and Enigma) as a series of episodes with multiple perspectives instead of the standalones they were on the manga, since it gave the thing a feeling that it was a combined attack schemed by Yoshihiro Kira than random assaults like it was, by example, Highway Star, making it a nice appetizer before the whole Bite za Dusto arc.
Nov 30, 2017 3:46 AM
Jul 2018
ReaperCreeper said:
DiU putting Cinderella before Quiet Life was a change I was hoping for from the start. What they did with Super Fly, Engima Boy, and Cheap Trick was nice too.

EcchiKingMamster said:
Motto To Love-Ru comes to mind for this. Too bad Darkness does the opposite.

Well, motto tlr wasn't that raunchy like darkness, so they could go a bit further. Darkness on the other hand.........

RnDNEET021 said:
Inb4 comparing SSY manga over anime..

It lacks more sh*tty fanservice.. Salty fags we're too THIRSTY for it

No logic in making that comparison since original source is the novel.
Nov 30, 2017 4:13 AM

Nov 2017
I'm pretty sure in Minami-ke Season 1 .... right after Episode 1 ...
they suddenly got Sexier ... you know what i mean.. clothes suddenly got tighter..

especially Kana..her art changed the most after season 1
Nov 30, 2017 4:17 AM

Feb 2010
I actually liked the first Full Metal Alchemist anime regardless of how different it was from the manga. Like I think it's equally as good, if not better (imo).

Shinsekai Yori is a good example of one that I love the anime of, but hate the manga of (haven't read the novel).
The manga was really just like hentai featuring kids even, but the anime was very beautiful, down-to-earth, and didn't even feel fanservicey (despite having both gay and lesbian love scenes in addition to heterosexual, it didn't feel fetishized and only shows it when they're adults). A great psycho-thriller/sci-fantasy anime if you avoid the manga.

I also greatly prefer to watch any comedy-centric anime such as Osomatsu, Watamote, and Axis Powers Hetalia than to read the manga/webcomics for it, because I feel like comedy is just WAY funnier when it's animated, timed, and voiced.

There's some examples with video games as well...

Some of the Dot Hack anime I prefer more than the actual games they're based on.
.Hack//Roots is probably the exception, since that anime was clearly an advertisement-trap for the game .Hack//GU (anime cuts off where the game begins).
However, I really loved the .Hack//Liminality, .Hack//Sign, and .Hack//Quantum anime series, which were different from any of the game series' story and character-wise but use the same universe. For one, they have female main protagonists, and the story isn't dependant on the game, but standalone story from them (though very similar). In the case of .Hack//Sign, they also went deeper than the games could, by including deep psychological themes and a non-fetishized lesbian relationship. Liminality is nice because it's actually taking place outside of the game world, and feels kind of like a mystery/detective anime.

I also liked the Touken Ranbu Katsugeki anime more than I liked the actual gameplay of the game (which got tedious after awhile).
I mean, the anime gives them an actual story to follow, with really nice action scenes and emotional scenes, while the game doesn't particularly have any story/scenes aside from what's implied by RL history by the fans, so just about everything before the anime was just fan-based theories, including their personalities. The anime goes in an amount of depth that the original game just cannot compete with.
PikangieNov 30, 2017 4:32 AM
Nov 30, 2017 4:38 AM

Jan 2017
Well I like how A certain scientific railgun had what seemed like a filler arc in the 1st season but it actually continued a story that the manga didn't tell of that arc.
Nov 30, 2017 5:37 AM
Dec 2013
I'm glad that the third season of Bakuman skipped that second Nanamine Tooru arc because it was too similar to the first Nanamine arc (which WAS adapted in the anime), and it felt like Nanamine didn't learn anything during that first arc. And the way the second arc ended left a bad taste in my mouth when I finally read those 10 chapters in the manga that weren't adapted in the anime. That arc was Bakuman at its worst. It's just the same thing again and it felt like a waste of time. The anime is hands-down better than the manga because of this.
wildhoodDec 24, 2017 9:36 AM
Nov 30, 2017 3:28 PM

Feb 2015
I think users are more triggered that Hajime no Gal receive anime adaptation; not because of the changes in the adaptation itself but because of the anime itself---Or to be precise the whole shit in the series that made them hate the series itself. Ohhh well I still haven't watch the anime but the manga is pretty good read...

I dunno about the Shobitch anime that's airing right now. Anyway mangaka will save themselves with the "hey I might not choose your waifu to win but don't worry, I'll make another book for alternative setting route" kinda of thing.
Dec 1, 2017 6:54 AM

Mar 2012
FMA because I didn't like the latter half of Brotherhood. I just felt that the older series came up with a better story than the author did.
Dec 1, 2017 7:13 AM

Apr 2015
EZanime91 said:
Ghost in the shell: stand alone complex series is a better crime drama than the original manga where it is more comedy based.

I have to second this. The manga wants desperately to be a comedy, or at least be strongly based in comedy. But it is so wordy, and the author/translators constantly feel a need to insert and explain EVERY LITTLE THING about the world, to the point that it slows the pacing to a crippled crawl.

And then 2.0. We don't talk about the second series.
"I'd take rampant lesbianism over nuclear armageddon or a supervolcano any day." ~nikiforova
Dec 6, 2017 11:17 AM

Sep 2017
Pretty much every action filled manga. Watching them is better.
"When you made this thread, I cried and screamed"

-Swagernator 2017
Dec 6, 2017 11:39 AM

May 2009
Anime series have music and soundtracks.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Dec 23, 2017 2:22 AM

Aug 2016
the CGI in Berserk, because it annoys Berserk fanbase wich is one of the most annoying fanbases out there.

:v
Dec 23, 2017 4:34 AM

Sep 2015
Fixing the dialogue in Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash. Some of the LN bits are still prevalent in the beginning of the anime but it gets much better over time. Whereas in the LN it’s just constant repeats of the same exact shitty patterns of dialogue.
Dec 23, 2017 7:41 AM

Dec 2015
Gungrave game has a lot of action but not much story and character development. Meanwhile, Gungrave anime trades the action (retains some, but that moment is the weakest moment of the anime) for story and especially character development, effectively filling the void left by the game.

It's a shame that the game fanbase always rant that the anime is bad just because it lacks the action the game offers. I prolly wouldn't have been interested in the games if the anime hasn't been so damn memorable with the characters.
"Who wouldn't want to be like me? Handsome and free like a bird in a tree! Badaboom!"
Dec 23, 2017 7:49 AM

May 2015
I liked how Planetes expands the world and context around the main characters even though at the cost of character development and introspection.
In a way it feels that the two versions are complementary to each other.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 23, 2017 7:52 AM

Dec 2015
InsaneLeader13 said:
The author constantly feels a need to insert and explain EVERY LITTLE THING about the world, to the point that it slows the pacing to a crippled crawl.

And the same guy actually tells its readership in the same book that they should read the notes as complement after they have read the book (or chapter) because of their disruptive nature.
ABout the translators (or rather foreign publishers), well, they did their job well by keeping the notes and giving them to us in a readable language.
Dec 23, 2017 12:31 PM

Feb 2015
Shingeki no Kyojin: Better art style and character designs

Literally only know that one... Since I spent more of my time on ranting about the opposing question
Dec 24, 2017 2:00 AM

Apr 2015
As much as people complain, there actually is plenty of series that were changed for the better. Full Metal Alchemist's first anime is superior to its manga and I think the same applies for Elemental Gelade. I also like it when scenes that are skipped over or underdeveloped are expanded in the anime.
Dec 24, 2017 9:24 AM
Dragon Idol

May 2017
I've heard that in the original Fruit of Grisaia.... game? that one of the characters got raped.
They didn't put that in the anime.

That's not the type of stuff I want to see animated so I'm grateful they didn't put that in there.
Dec 24, 2017 9:36 AM

Jan 2010
Shingeki no Kyojin
Beside the obvious "better art style", they did right changing the order of some events from the manga. Anime did it chronologically instead of back and forth flashback style. But there are many things that I hate in anime too (like erasing some character development moments especially Marco's and Erwin's)

Boku no Hero Academia
They extended many battles from the sports tournament arc. Most side characters's battle only got one panel in the manga.

Made in Abyss
I heard the anime toned down some of the more controversial things in the manga

More topics from this board

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

180 by Shizuna »»
7 minutes ago

» Anime Misandry ( 1 2 )

ColourWheel - Apr 21

96 by DigiCat »»
12 minutes ago

» Has the isekai bubble finally burst

EastIndiaCompany - Yesterday

23 by Ex-Aid »»
13 minutes ago

» Is "Magnetic Rose" considered a masterpiece?

Alpha_1_Zero - 23 minutes ago

0 by Alpha_1_Zero »»
23 minutes ago

» Have you ever come across anime-related fakes?

RobertBobert - Yesterday

11 by Ex-Aid »»
33 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.