Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Land of the Lustrous
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Nov 25, 2017 4:51 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Antarcticite is a really thrilling character to watch in this series. All the things the chaaracter is doing for Phos has great risk.

I think this episode itself involved a lot of risk especially considering the situation that Phos got herself involved in. I'm still kinda fascinated by how certain objects and events change in the way they do in this show.
Nov 25, 2017 4:59 AM
Nov 2007
The special new ED - liquescimus, sung by Phosphophyllite's VA Kurosawa Tomoyo, was an excellent touch to round out the episode.

That was phenomenal. Every aspect was wonderfully handled as the episode built to its devastating conclusion. Studio Orange continuing to bring their A game this far into the series speaks highly of both their excellent scheduling and hardworking staff.

It'll be a real shame if this doesn't sell because it's clear as crystal they're passionate about this project and making the manga's story shine through animation.

Talented veteran Key Animator Norio Matsumoto assisted in the episode's production.He's known for 2d, but it's clear with this episode he's perfectly capable of showing off with 3D CG animation as well.

XeirosNov 25, 2017 5:40 AM
Nov 25, 2017 5:21 AM

Nov 2014
Dammit I can't wait! To hell with subs I'll watch it RAW if I have to!
Nov 25, 2017 5:58 AM

Nov 2014
As I thought I only ended up watching "that" part since I already know what happens but don't understand what they're talking about so I'll just sleep and wait for the subs.
VarunaBlesNov 25, 2017 6:04 AM
Nov 25, 2017 6:47 AM
Jun 2011
VarunaBles said:
As I thought I only ended up watching "that" part since I already know what happens but don't understand what they're talking about so I'll just sleep and wait for the subs.
yes that part with phos was animated great
Nov 25, 2017 12:28 PM
Dec 2015
I don't think that the fight between Antarc and the Lunarians was as good as it could have been and some scenes could have been framed better, but I still think that they nailed the emotional aspect.
The alloy arms are also well animated, so that's a plus, too.
Nov 25, 2017 12:35 PM

Jun 2015
I felt nothing on what happened to Antarcticite. His fight was pretty cool though. He did his best. Phos tried to save him with all that gold on her, but she couldn't do anything. Oh well. Her uselessness putting others in danger is getting annoying. She is just a bad luck magnet who should stay away from the others so she can't cause them more pain.
Nov 25, 2017 12:39 PM

Feb 2011
BlackstarFallen said:
She is just a bad luck magnet who should stay away from the others so she can't cause them more pain.

Sounds like something Cinnabar would think.

Fixes to make the Profile more bearable after "the Modern★Profile★Update★★Rip★Profile★"
Nov 25, 2017 12:52 PM

Sep 2013
Finally, strong Phos in anime.
"Death" Antarcticite in the manga it was better, but, fight phos in the anime it was great.
Nov 25, 2017 12:59 PM

Apr 2016
2 words :

amazing
suffering

Such a great episode but the ending is not something I expected nor wanted to see :(

Xeiros said:
The special new ED - liquescimus, sung by Phosphophyllite's VA Kurosawa Tomoyo, was an excellent touch to round out the episode.

She's doing a amazing job with phos. I'm usually not so keen on "useless" MC but she brings the right amount of effrontery and humor to Phos to make him/her a lovable MC.

That was phenomenal. Every aspect was wonderfully handled as the episode built to its devastating conclusion. Studio Orange continuing to bring their A game this far into the series speaks highly of both their excellent scheduling and hardworking staff.

It'll be a real shame if this doesn't sell because it's clear as crystal they're passionate about this project and making the manga's story shine through animation.

passionate AND talented.

Nov 25, 2017 1:10 PM

Dec 2010
They adapted the manga very well, 1:1. Great job so far even if i can't digest very well the CGI.

On a side note there are up to 9 tonkobon released and probably this tv serie will cover only the first 3 volumes. Hope for more seasons will be surely pretty low.
Fn76Nov 25, 2017 1:16 PM
Nov 25, 2017 1:19 PM

Mar 2013
Props to the studio for doing Antarcticite's death so well.

On another note, this show's score on MAL had better increase by the time it's over. Seriously, it's way too low for such a quality anime.
Nov 25, 2017 1:23 PM
Jun 2011
Echo13243 said:
It looks like things will have to go back to normal for the next episode in Spring. I was hoping Phos would save Antarcticite but it looks like Phos will have to take over Winter from now on.
if you look at the preview you will understand things will not be the same for phos next week
Nov 25, 2017 1:24 PM

Jul 2015
I have no words, this episode was absolutely amazing, the music, animation, character reactions... seeing Phos' face of shock and despair at the end was painful to look at.

Nov 25, 2017 1:25 PM

Aug 2013
I need to read this manga, I can't keep myself contained on it anymore. Give me a chapter to pick this up at because I need it. My heart got fucking shattered on this episode (pun intended). I need more.
Don't believe the hype.
Nov 25, 2017 1:25 PM
Aug 2017
Me to this episode: Yeah, hum, how about fuck you?

Jesus, I can't believe what happened. What a mess of a situation.

Can we all agree on the fact this episode was the worst so far? Phos is shattered, Antarc is gone, and Kongo-sensei seems to have been in a tense fight.

Damn. Worst winter ever
Nov 25, 2017 1:28 PM

Dec 2016
Well that was a rather depression episode losing Antarcticite after trying so hard.

I really hope these new arms for Phos make a difference in the upcoming episodes.

At the moment Phos is kind of a useless character who brings nothing but misfortune to others so I hope Phos can become a badass character who can make a real difference over time instead of being someone who cannot contribute and always suffers.

Ah looks like everyone else is back next time and with new clothes, Sensei hits the wall again.
Nov 25, 2017 1:30 PM
Dec 2015
Zantius said:
I need to read this manga, I can't keep myself contained on it anymore. Give me a chapter to pick this up at because I need it. My heart got fucking shattered on this episode (pun intended). I need more.

Episode 8 finished adapting Chapter 19. Start with Chapter 20: The End of Winter.

Thought I would also suggest for you to read back on the previous chapters once you catch-up to the latest chapter. The anime does a great job at staying true to the source material, but the art style and page compositions results in a different experience.
ApsidelosNov 25, 2017 1:36 PM
Nov 25, 2017 1:34 PM
Jun 2011
LukesYGO_WSonYT said:
Well that was a rather depression episode losing Antarcticite after trying so hard.

I really hope these new arms for Phos make a difference in the upcoming episodes.

At the moment Phos is kind of a useless character who brings nothing but misfortune to others so I hope Phos can become a badass character who can make a real difference over time instead of being someone who cannot contribute and always suffers.

Ah looks like everyone else is back next time and with new clothes, Sensei hits the wall again.
if you look at the next episode preview it seems phos looks different from expression and eys
Nov 25, 2017 2:03 PM

Feb 2017
Can't wait to see the next episode, after seeing her in the preview he look definitly not the same as before, looking foward to is developement as a character
Nov 25, 2017 2:15 PM

Nov 2014
Another loss of Lustrous family. Very sad.
Nov 25, 2017 2:20 PM

Apr 2014
i still dont understand anything but im liking this show more and more :*
Nov 25, 2017 2:41 PM

Oct 2014
ANTARCTICE!!!! No!! ;-; my favorite gem has been taken to the moon... why didn't Phos' arms let her fight back, maybe Antarcticite wouldn't have been taken.
An incredibly intense episode with all of the constant cracking, but they really shouldn't have gone out alone being two of the more fragile stones.

This show is so damn good that it would be a tragedy if it ended here. Either way, I'm reading the manga. I'm hoping Phos gets wings after breaking her back so she can fly to the moon.
Wishful thinking? probably .-.
Nov 25, 2017 2:55 PM

Jul 2017
Echo13243 said:
elior1 said:
if you look at the preview you will understand things will not be the same for phos next week

I meant that they'll live without Antarcticite, not that Phos won't have a new gold body. And I only came to the conclusion that things won't change because of Antarcticite's "death" because I watched the preview.

Things will change I assure you.

Nov 25, 2017 2:57 PM
May 2017
HxHexa said:
Echo13243 said:

I meant that they'll live without Antarcticite, not that Phos won't have a new gold body. And I only came to the conclusion that things won't change because of Antarcticite's "death" because I watched the preview.

Things will change I assure you.

Aww RIP me. Sounds like a trip. Now to wait another week ;_;
Nov 25, 2017 2:58 PM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
Top 3 in episodes of the year for me. That was mindblowing.

Surely on par with the likes of Made in Abyss episode 13 and 3-gatsu no Lion S2 episode 4.

Antarc trying to find Phos' arms underwater was so tense, she was despairing over it, also taking all the blame for the incident. When you finally have someone by your side after years and years, you grow wanting to be figure someone can depend on and i'm sure that she had this mindset.

The shots this episode were gorgeous, the sky clearing up with the light shining on Phos o___o Insane events.

Antarc fighting for her life and her memories had me glued to the screen, she continued to break further and further, yet she didn't want to lose all the precious times that she can remember. I was so sure after she beat the first wave that she will fine.

Therefore i was so shocked with the impact scene of her breaking in shambles and Phos witnessing it. Antarc getting taken away to the moon and saying to Phos to protect in her stead.

fuck

Sensei holding Phos in her arms with the background scenary and his torn up clothes was a breathtaking shot, don't think i've seen a better shot from anything this year, does anyone have a good screenshot of that?

Music was incredible.
Nov 25, 2017 2:58 PM

Jul 2017
daftpunkliker said:

Can we all agree on the fact this episode was the worst so far?

Clearly no. If you are expecting a fun SoL with gems you are looking at the wrong place.
Nov 25, 2017 3:03 PM
May 2017
Nov 25, 2017 3:07 PM
May 2017
HxHexa said:
daftpunkliker said:

Can we all agree on the fact this episode was the worst so far?

Clearly no. If you are expecting a fun SoL with gems you are looking at the wrong place.

By any chance did he mean worst as in worst for the characters? Despite Phos losing her legs not much else bad has happened (although I'm undoubtedly missing something)
Nov 25, 2017 3:27 PM

Nov 2014
Finally watched it with subs. Best episode so far! Not that I didn't expect that.

I like how it's drawn here.
Nov 25, 2017 3:37 PM

Jul 2017
Won't Sensei ever have enough of Phos messing things up? His patience is limitless.
あなたは誰?
Nov 25, 2017 3:47 PM

Jun 2017
backdoornight said:
Won't Sensei ever have enough of Phos messing things up? His patience is limitless.

But this one was entirely Sensei's fault. He sent the two weakest gems out on their own on a shopping trip far away from home, while one was handicapped, and misjudged the weather. And then he underestimated the cunning of the Lunarians, letting them get in close and slow him down. He dun screwed up this time.
Nov 25, 2017 4:11 PM

Nov 2014
I hope Phos becomes a good character soon, all she/he does is put people in danger and now someone is dead because of it. Phos is nothing but a liability and needs to change or this anime will continue grating on me.
Forum Signature
Nov 25, 2017 4:19 PM

Feb 2015
Phos are likable again, they weren't annoying as 2 ep before at all to me... kinda like, it was nice that something changed about them just like they wanted tho I already dislike new haircut they'll get.

Echo13243 said:

Sensei told that they don't have materials for it, I guess that it's just powder.
I'm watching anime since 2012. I also play games, sometimes.

Don't bother me if you want to 'become friends' or things like that.
It's tiresome. I know you just want to collect some meaningless numbers.
Thought: How many people sparked H. Charlotta just for blue pot?
Nov 25, 2017 4:43 PM
Sep 2016
I can't blame anyone for disliking Phos--he's really been a good for nothing. The studio is still doing a great job for a CG adaption. I wonder where it will end on.
Nov 25, 2017 5:52 PM

Nov 2014
A-tom said:
I think Phos changing is the point of the anime/story. XD

I'm sure it is but that doesn't take away anything from what I said, in fact it only reinforces it, there's been no growth in eight episodes of a twelve episode series. Don't get me wrong, I still like this story and I still like Phos and that's why I currently have this anime at an 8/10 but it's getting more and more frustrating. Whatever Phos changes into it better start happening soon and it better be worth it.
Forum Signature
Nov 25, 2017 6:35 PM

Nov 2014
Chimerared said:
A-tom said:
I think Phos changing is the point of the anime/story. XD

I'm sure it is but that doesn't take away anything from what I said, in fact it only reinforces it, there's been no growth in eight episodes of a twelve episode series. Don't get me wrong, I still like this story and I still like Phos and that's why I currently have this anime at an 8/10 but it's getting more and more frustrating. Whatever Phos changes into it better start happening soon and it better be worth it.

Just know that this isn't the type of series that let's it's protagonist off just because he becomes stronger and more mature. In fact, Phos maturing is the reason why the plot begins to get darker and darker. He has to deal with the side effects.

This is obvious if you've watched the preview.
Nov 25, 2017 7:25 PM

Sep 2011
Wow, at the start of this show, I was definitely not expecting it to go in this direction :o Even from a few episodes ago, the tone has changed dramatically, and I love it.

VarunaBles said:
Chimerared said:

Just know that this isn't the type of series that let's it's protagonist off just because he becomes stronger and more mature. In fact, Phos maturing is the reason why the plot begins to get darker and darker. He has to deal with the side effects.

This is obvious if you've watched the preview.

I haven't read the manga (that might change though if we don't get a season 2 announcement soon after the season ends), but it's becoming painfully clear that one of if not the primary theme of this show is about the dangers of not being able to accept oneself and trying to forcefully change. Phos is becoming stronger, but at what cost? Based on that preview, I'm going to go with "everything that made her unique and lovable."
"EVERYBODY, CLAP YOUR HANDS!"

"PLUS ULTRA!"
Nov 25, 2017 7:34 PM

Jul 2016
Phos is like a walking curse. Whoever near him is hurt in a way or another. It's really sad but I hope it all turns out to be in a good improvement for him and his develpment as a character.

Now I kinda understand more and more about Cinnabar's situation of being a threat for others.
Nov 25, 2017 8:59 PM

Jul 2009
Oh...I'm heartbroken. I really didnt want them to take Antarctcite...and it was even worse because Phos tried so hard.

GIVE HIM BACK DAMNIT! Omg and the way he gestured for Phos to be quiet. My kokoro. GIVE HIM BACK

T-T

I'm not gonna get attached to anymore of these damn rocks.
sorathecrow said:
backdoornight said:

But this one was entirely Sensei's fault. He sent the two weakest gems out on their own on a shopping trip far away from home, while one was handicapped, and misjudged the weather. And then he underestimated the cunning of the Lunarians, letting them get in close and slow him down. He dun screwed up this time.

While I agree it was sensei's fault, but I think part of the problem is that he keeps taking the blame, thus making Phos feel even smaller. Can you imagine always screwing up but then being told you had nothing to do with it? Kinda lose your autonomy.
InugirlzNov 25, 2017 9:05 PM
Nov 25, 2017 9:15 PM

Jun 2015
Surprisingly, I didn't think they would take Antarcticite.
Phos to each episode is transmuted, I wonder if Phos could forget his own goal, that is usual in the plot of immortals.
Nov 25, 2017 9:34 PM

Jul 2015
AND NOW HER ARMS ARE GONE. If there is one thing this anime does well, its making me feel bad for Phos, while also making me love her more with ever line she speaks. It also confuses me and, once again, makes me question just how much mess Phos can find herself in... And now I feel bad. Antarcticite will be missed.
A Wild and Small Otaku has Appeared!
Nov 25, 2017 9:43 PM

Jan 2014
Well it's still possible to get Antarcticite back right? The souls would have to bring her back down as a weapon or something, like they did with the giant shell.

Anyway, poor Phos. All the "bad" things happen to her, but they're also good things. I'm curious as to how her and Sensei survived the rest of winter.

Three things cannot be long hidden..
...the s u n, the m oo n, and the tr u th.

Nov 25, 2017 10:12 PM

Jun 2016
What an episode ! What an anime ! What charaters ! God dammit ! This anime is freakin' georgous and feel nothing but passion ! It's been a while since I saw an anime with so much love and care. Yeah, there is some flaw, but it's impossible for me to see these flaws. I don't see a product here, but a craft of love by its creators.

Personnaly, Phos evolution is perfect. We don't have here an anime where the MC goes OP without real evolution. I see Phos like a Shinji of Evangelion in fact. Not the same personnality, but there is the same care in its evolution. Phos doesn't evolve for the reader, they evolve for themselves. Again and again they is treaded like some unusefull thing just good for being funny, and Phos just saw all its friendd being in danger and killed and everything, always without being able to do anything. When they lost its leg and was ashore behing Mercury, we saw all this. They try to evolve but can't, and can only evolve by losing some part of themselves and memories. There is a true reason and weight behind Phos and their road to power. It's rare to see a writer that achieve to show a real evolution in its caracter without putting it OP just for being epic and cool.

Damn, the scene where their new arms were keeping their mouth shut, just like if everything in Phos was trying to keep themselves useless and away of everything (the new arm that creat a "prison" for Phos. What it is, if it's not a protection, protecting Phos of the hardship of reality ?). It was brillant.
Damn I love this anime. Not perfect, but don't care.
Passion erase every flaw.
Ikitsune8Nov 25, 2017 10:15 PM
Prout
Nov 26, 2017 12:28 AM
Jul 2018
It's pretty sad that even though Phos got a stronger arms, she still wasn't able to save Antarcticite.

Also, a little question, is there something special with Phos' inclusions? This episode makes me think that Phos can just kinda combine with any other kind of rocks, or maybe it is just the characteristics if phosphophyllite. And whose sword was it that Phos uses at the end, were the lunarians the ones who brought that?
removed-userNov 26, 2017 3:07 AM
Nov 26, 2017 2:03 AM

Sep 2017
Hakaminah said:
Phos are likable again, they weren't annoying as 2 ep before at all to me... kinda like, it was nice that something changed about them just like they wanted tho I already dislike new haircut they'll get.

Echo13243 said:

Sensei told that they don't have materials for it, I guess that it's just powder.

Wonder why they didn't powder them before.
Nov 26, 2017 3:40 AM

Mar 2013
tourke said:
Hakaminah said:

Wonder why they didn't powder them before.

That part was only a split second preview, so it's possible that the production didn't have time to apply the pattern to her legs. It's likely it will be there next episode because it's in the manga.
Nov 26, 2017 5:29 AM

Apr 2015
I was spoiled the outcome and I was on edge of seat for minutes. That's a feat.
Strongest episode yet. Gonna be aots. Surely.
Nov 26, 2017 6:03 AM
Aug 2017
Echo13243 said:

Whose sword was it, btw?

Antarticite sword had saw-like teeth
Nov 26, 2017 6:52 AM

May 2010
That was amazing dammit.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Houseki no Kuni (TV) Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 23, 2017

314 by AllSeeingAnime »»
Mar 9, 8:50 PM

» Not at 500,000 viewers after 6 years :(

ghier - Dec 2, 2023

29 by APolygons2 »»
Feb 11, 12:24 PM

Poll: » Houseki no Kuni (TV) Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 11, 2017

147 by JoestarEISH_020 »»
Dec 4, 2023 8:29 PM

Poll: » Houseki no Kuni (TV) Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Nov 4, 2017

98 by JoestarEISH_020 »»
Dec 2, 2023 8:27 PM

Poll: » Houseki no Kuni (TV) Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Oct 28, 2017

108 by JoestarEISH_020 »»
Dec 2, 2023 7:59 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.