Forum Settings
Forums

Are you grateful that majority of anime characters have light skin?

New
Does the general state of anime skin color need to be altered?
No, anime is fine with light skin waifus.
63.5%
Yes, anime needs to expand horizons and include more people of color in their quota
36.5%
521 votes
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »
Nov 25, 2017 2:28 AM

Jun 2015
DrGeroCreation said:
Ebony> ivory. Dark skinned waifus for life.

char names and shows ploxT_T

isnt the 2nd one from bikini warriors?
Nov 25, 2017 3:12 AM

Apr 2017
Nek0 said:
Not many anime take place outside of Japan that I know of.

Weird. 7 out of my 10 favorite anime series take place outside of Japan. Most of the ones taking place in Japan still have a few none-Japanese characters.
Nov 25, 2017 4:32 AM

Jan 2011
I don't mind them being in any skin color.
Nov 25, 2017 4:39 AM

Oct 2014
GlowingAura said:
As an African raised by two white adults, I could care less. Honestly, I prefer light skin as well. Not to mention, anime does have dark-skinned characters.... it's just that most shows are set in Japan where you don't see many black people. Fullmetal Alchemist, Fairy Tail, even Shokugeki no Souma have characters with darker skin. Bringing this up will just result in more arguing.

More pointless arguing to be honest.

Most anime take place in settings where Ppl with a dark skin are a minority or not even there.
Heck everytime a character is from South America (like Chad from Bleach) or Africa (like Marik Ishtar for example) he or she is dark skinned. Anime never did do colorwashing.

So then my question towards others is why they care about it. Skin color dossn't matter, the setting does right?
Nov 25, 2017 6:37 AM

Nov 2017
anime could use some more color, though i am less interested in skin color and more interested in the character's personality and how they act and feel
Nov 25, 2017 12:56 PM

Jan 2013
Bourmegar said:
GlowingAura said:
As an African raised by two white adults, I could care less. Honestly, I prefer light skin as well. Not to mention, anime does have dark-skinned characters.... it's just that most shows are set in Japan where you don't see many black people. Fullmetal Alchemist, Fairy Tail, even Shokugeki no Souma have characters with darker skin. Bringing this up will just result in more arguing.

Most anime take place in settings where Ppl with a dark skin are a minority or not even there.
Heck everytime a character is from South America (like Chad from Bleach) or Africa (like Marik Ishtar for example) he or she is dark skinned. Anime never did do colorwashing.

So then my question towards others is why they care about it. Skin color dossn't matter, the setting does right?
>South America

Chad is from Mexico or I should say Mexican descent, thank you very much.
Please learn about cel animation and its technical process.
Learn how special effects and backlighting were done without computers.

Nov 25, 2017 1:53 PM

Feb 2017
Is this a serious question? "Are you grateful that majority of anime characters have light skin?" Why would any one be grateful for that? Unless they're a nazi or a racist or both?

I think anime could use a little more diversity and skin colors. Not just dark, but also other races like Arabs, turks, chinese, indians, latinos, etc.
Dark-skinned characters are very appealing.

I find it hypocritical for people to say, no they shouldn't show them because they aren't in Africa etc. I find this risible because last time i checked in anime people have green, yellow, blue, orange, red hair and don't look like Japanese people at all!! Most of them look like europeans. So stop the BS plz! They could show characters with blue or violet skin if they wanted and no one would mention "vraisemblance".

Anyways, there needs to be more diversity in anime. And not just dark-skinned, but all sorts of races. And dark-skinned characters would look really hot tbh

@Nyu "Well in that case, they should show light skinned characters in Africa."
First of all, there are millions of light-skinned people in Africa. Most of north Africa is inhabited by white folks. I live in Africa and i'm white-skinned. Why descriminate like this? Also dark-skinned people don't live only in Africa. There are dark-skinned people everywhere, people in India have a dark-skin too, in Latin America, in the US etc. So i find this argument quite silly tbh :/
noufa_kisakiNov 25, 2017 1:58 PM
" I and the public know What all schoolchildren learn,
Those to whom evil was done Do evil in return " W. H. Auden

Nov 25, 2017 1:57 PM

Jul 2016
noufa_kisaki said:
Is this a serious question? "Are you grateful that majority of anime characters have light skin?" Why would any one be grateful for that? Unless they're a nazi or a racist or both?

I think anime could use a little more diversity and skin colors. Dark-skinned characters are very appealing.

I find it hypocritical for people to say, no they shouldn't show them because they aren't in Africa etc. I find this risible because last time i checked in anime people have green, yellow, blue, orange, red hair and don't look like Japanese people at all!! Most of them look like europeans. So stop the BS plz! They could show characters with blue or violet skin if they wanted and no one would mention "vraisemblance".

Anyways, there needs to be more diversity in anime. And not just dark-skinned, but all sorts of races. And dark-skinned characters would look really hot tbh

@Nyu "Well in that case, they should show light skinned characters in Africa."
First of all, there are millions of light-skinned people in Africa. Most of north Africa is inhabited by white folks. I live in Africa and i'm white-skinned. Why descriminate like this? Also dark-skinned people don't live only in Africa. There are dark-skinned people everywhere, people in India have a dark-skin too, in Latin America, in the US etc. So i find this argument quite silly tbh :/

Anime doesn't need more diversity, it is spread diverse enough.
Nov 25, 2017 1:58 PM

Oct 2014
Cabron said:
Bourmegar said:

>South America

Chad is from Mexico or I should say Mexican descent, thank you very much.

Well Mexico is close to it, but thanks for Correcting me on that part.

Nov 25, 2017 1:59 PM

Feb 2017
@Nyu That's your opinion. I beg to differ.

Nov 25, 2017 2:04 PM

Jul 2016
noufa_kisaki said:

Well actually it is the opinion of anime studios and the anime fanbase.
Nov 25, 2017 2:09 PM

Feb 2017
Nyu said:
noufa_kisaki said:

So the spokesperson for the anime fanbase has spoken!
I don't want to laugh. But this could be said for people who find the opposite to be correct.
So nah i aint buying this. It is still your opinion. Wether you seek to validate it by other people's opinions or not.

Nov 25, 2017 2:11 PM
Jan 2017
Light skin waiffus rules butttt i like try some choco p.......
Nov 25, 2017 2:13 PM

Jul 2016
noufa_kisaki said:
Nyu said:

I don't want to laugh. But this could be said for people who find the opposite to be correct.
So nah i aint buying this. It is still your opinion. Wether you seek to validate it by other people's opinions or not.

If the anime community wanted more diversity, then we would see that happening.
Nov 25, 2017 9:52 PM

Jan 2017
It makes sense that, given that the majority of anime takes place in Japan or some sort of Japan analogue, and most anime is written to be at least slightly familiar to Japanese audiences, most characters tend to be Japanese.

When they do choose to include a foreign character then they're usually American... and if there's one thing you'll learn about the Japanese stereotype of your typical American is that they're all so blonde-haired, blue-eyed, and tall that they would put a Nazi propaganda actor to shame.

Oddly enough, it's also a given that most anime main or even side characters will be born with some odd color of hair. And I could go into detail about how a lot of anime characters actually look more western than Asian in both body composition as well as genetic traits and style, but that's well beyond the scope of this thread.

Suffice it to say that anime tends to be a mix of different looks in order to appeal to Japanese viewers and it's not always grounded in reality.
My name is 3DPD and this is my Internet forum signature. If there's anything I've learned in 21 years of using Internet forums, it's that life is meaningless and nothing we say or do here will matter in the grand scheme of things.
Nov 26, 2017 1:52 AM
Jul 2018
noufa_kisaki said:
Nyu said:

Well, you know what they say opinions are like…
Nov 26, 2017 6:21 PM

Feb 2017
@nicethings lol that's funny.
Indeed, one has no problem with opiniated people. We all can be like that sometimes. But puerile stubborness and self-assertiveness aren't my cup of tea.

I knew better not to be part of silly arguments. It is a self-inflicted ego trap. u_u Thus, i decided to let it go. *walks away*
noufa_kisakiNov 26, 2017 6:32 PM

Nov 26, 2017 6:39 PM

Jul 2016
nicethings said:
noufa_kisaki said:

If you read the conversation, you would know he was arguing that most anime fans support forced diversity and I was pointing out how the anime community doesn't support forced diversity, as if it did, we would see diversity more often in anime.
Nov 26, 2017 6:42 PM
Aug 2016
In today's episode of 'Previously Unsaid Sentences in Human History'
Nov 26, 2017 7:10 PM

Jul 2015
Yo I'd love to see some more chocolate bois and ladies in my anime. They're so freaking rare and I hate that because I'd like to relate myself to anime characters more.

And while there is nothing wrong with preferring white or light skinned characters, some people prefer deredere over tsundere, or voluptuous bodies over loli, either way, both ends of the spectrum exist to suit people's preferences. So having characters that are on the other end of the skin spectrum, should in no way affect those that prefer light/white characters
Nov 26, 2017 7:22 PM

Aug 2009
My dick isn't racist towards anime characters, so...

Nov 26, 2017 7:24 PM

Jul 2016
C4NDYCE said:
Yo I'd love to see some more chocolate bois and ladies in my anime. They're so freaking rare and I hate that because I'd like to relate myself to anime characters more.

And while there is nothing wrong with preferring white or light skinned characters, some people prefer deredere over tsundere, or voluptuous bodies over loli, either way, both ends of the spectrum exist to suit people's preferences. So having characters that are on the other end of the skin spectrum, should in no way affect those that prefer light/white characters

Actually increasing diversity will decrease the amount of light skinned characters.
Nov 26, 2017 10:22 PM

Jul 2015
Nyu said:
C4NDYCE said:

Actually increasing diversity will decrease the amount of light skinned characters.

Currently there is already a very little amount of darker toned characters. Take a harem anime for example. 5 girls, one is darker, is that really going to affect anyone? No. Everytime I see an annoying ass tsundere I don't think how they are "decreasing" the amount of any other type of character.
Nov 26, 2017 11:37 PM

Jul 2016
C4NDYCE said:
Nyu said:

Currently there is already a very little amount of darker toned characters. Take a harem anime for example. 5 girls, one is darker, is that really going to affect anyone? No. Everytime I see an annoying ass tsundere I don't think how they are "decreasing" the amount of any other type of character.

Well if diverse characters were increased, that will take up a character that would of been light skinned and diverse characters take up more resources because of the shading.
Nov 26, 2017 11:39 PM

Dec 2015
I mean, I love me some dark skinned/tanned anime girls, probably more than the usual skin color they have, but if I'm "grateful"?? What kind of dumbass question is that??
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Nov 29, 2017 6:22 AM

Sep 2017
Im in anime discussion and not in Current events right?
"When you made this thread, I cried and screamed"

-Swagernator 2017
Nov 29, 2017 11:34 AM
Jul 2018
Anime was never meant to have boundaries of skin tone. That's all I can say.
Nov 29, 2017 1:45 PM

Aug 2013
Bourmegar said:

Alright Gimme their names, I need them for Research (the all look pretty dam good and a good Character design might tell me that the show is at least decent)
User nicethings already covered all their names.

KuroudoAkabane said:

Storm from the X men anime
Dark Elf from Bikini Warriors
Lashiti from Dimension W
Yoruichi from Bleach
Urd from Ah My Goddess
Feb from Sol Bianca

Cabron said:

Oh you already know my dude.
Let's not forget her no BS attitude. ;)
Yeah she has a pretty stern, no nonsense personality which for some people could be seen as harsh but it's well intentioned.

Bourmegar said:

Mexico is close to Central America not South America.
DrGeroCreationNov 29, 2017 1:50 PM
Nov 29, 2017 1:48 PM

Jun 2015
DrGeroCreation said:
Bourmegar said:

Alright Gimme their names, I need them for Research (the all look pretty dam good and a good Character design might tell me that the show is at least decent)
User nicethings already covered all their names.

KuroudoAkabane said:

Storm from the X men anime
Dark Elf from Bikini Warriors
Lashiti from Dimension W
Yoruichi from Bleach
Urd from Ah My Goddess
Feb from Sol Bianca

Oh you already know my dude.
Let's not forget her no BS attitude. ;)
Yeah she has a pretty stern, no nonsense personality which for some people could be seen as harsh but it's well intentioned.

Bourmegar said:

Mexico is close to Central America not South America.
[/quote]thx man... feb is really hot
Nov 29, 2017 1:54 PM

Aug 2013
@KuroudoAkabane Your'e welcome man. Yeah she is pretty hot.

Nov 29, 2017 3:13 PM

Oct 2014
Nyu said:
nicethings said:

If you read the conversation, you would know he was arguing that most anime fans support forced diversity and I was pointing out how the anime community doesn't support forced diversity, as if it did, we would see diversity more often in anime.

Most Anime Fans actually don't really care about it indeed.
all we want is to watch, enjoy and Talk about Anime and most of us don't even care about such things as Skin color (we rather care about settings and etc).
Heck there is almost no Racism in anime at all.

How Diverse can't we get?
Just having Different skin colors just to include more ppl is kinda racist when you think about it.

I am not against Diversity, I am against Forced Diversity (and stupidity)
Nov 29, 2017 3:28 PM

Mar 2008
I would like more variety to character design but for the sake of good design not making random characters have random skin tones for sake of diversity. I usually prefer light skin though
Nov 29, 2017 4:16 PM
Jul 2017
I couldnt care less, if a character is loveable and interesting i dont care about the skin color, as long as he/she doesnt look like a trainwreck i will be fine.
Nov 30, 2017 6:43 AM

Feb 2010
Duke_of_York said:
Greetings all, anyone even remotely aware of this medium will know that most anime characters have light skin because Japanese people have light skin comparable to Caucasian people. If we think about it, would anime be as popular outside of its country of origin if it was made from say, Africa? With the only difference being the majority skin color changed and nothing else?

I personally don't think so, there is something about ivory-skinned waifus that just get you excited without knowing why and let's face it...ivory>ebony.

Thoughts?

Thing about Japanese anime is that it's made for Japanese people, who have always prized pale skin for many generations. More pale than they naturally are, they're not paler than Caucasian people. Those who appear to be are either using skin-lightening treatments, makeup, bright lighting, or Photoshop which is common for self-conscious cosplayers and models to appear pearly white.

But even some Japanese people actually prefer tanned skin, as well. It's nothing to do with race, but the bigger reason for preference in tan skin is simply personal preference in aesthetics or a rebellious fashion (such as Gyaru or Ganguro going against the pale-skinned black-hair Yamato Nadeshiko image by using dark skin and bright hair). There is also the "exotic factor" for many people as well.

Also, not all anime is always purely about making characters look like your ideal waifu, maybe certain genres of anime, but not anime as a whole. Even those that are purely fanservice, they aren't just catering to you, they're catering to their target audience as a whole (including people they might have left out before), not just one individual.

There have been anime with dark-skinned and even clearly African-American characters, such as Cowboy Bebop, and this wasn't to appeal to foreigners, it was made to entertain Japanese audience which the anime was made for, as an anime that wasn't trying to appeal to sex organs, but to tell stories using realism/diversity in characters to make the world more open and believable, as they were in the future in space, not fantasy-waifu-land.

In more world-wide international anime/games such as Pokemon, you'll see they are getting more diverse with skin tones than typical anime, since they do know they're aiming for an international appeal, but also to show that the worlds they take place in aren't all "Japan".
Alola for example is based on Hawaii, and is a tropical island, so it makes sense they'd have more medium and dark-skinned characters for this sunny region.

I think it actually would raise popularity to at least have a few characters darker skinned, regardless of race, because it offers more diverse looks in characters. Even in the fantasy fanservice anime, it is known that there are a sizeable amount of Japanese people who like darker-skinned characters. Whether the character is Japanese, Arabian, or anything else. Not all Japanese are light-skinned even, you have naturally tan Japanese people too. My grandparents in Okinawa (part of Japan) are pretty dark-skinned Japanese people that you might look at and wonder if they're south Asian.

Even if you're against it, if you made a game with like 100 girls or 100 guys, then why not? There's a limit to how unique anime characters can look from each other when you've got that many and they're all the same pale tone just with different hair/eye colors.
PikangieNov 30, 2017 6:52 AM
Nov 30, 2017 3:55 PM

Jul 2015
Yes, I never did like the tan look, (ie Su from Love Hina) too much.
Dec 9, 2017 2:23 PM
Dragon Idol

May 2017
I'd say indifferent is a better term to describe my view.
I'm not shallow enough to care for skin tone.

As long as the character and/or story is well written, I can't be arsed to complain about something like that.
Dec 9, 2017 2:39 PM
Dec 2017
Lol. Race threads actually exist in anime forums :D

OT: Anime doesn't need forced diversity & I like white girls so...
Dalai_Lama_SonDec 9, 2017 3:15 PM
Dec 9, 2017 4:12 PM
May 2017
Most characters are light-skinned on anime/manga because japanese people are light-skinned. There are dark-skinned characters on anime/manga, most of them foreigners. It is obvious.

Duke_of_York said:
...there is something about ivory-skinned waifus that just get you excited without knowing why and let's face it...ivory>ebony.

Both light/dark-skinned beauties are equally desirable. Cannot understand you, sir!
Mene, mene, tekel, parsin
Dec 10, 2017 9:44 AM

Sep 2013
Darker color is fine on waifus as long as they don't act like the real life counterpart.
On guys it's way harder to make a dark skinned mc and make it believable, that's why you don't see dark skinned mcs.
Dec 30, 2017 6:32 AM
Dec 2017
Yeah, I am grateful to be honest :) Western PC cucks haven’t invaded anime yet
Dec 30, 2017 7:14 AM

Apr 2017
ichii_1 said:
Darker color is fine on waifus as long as they don't act like the real life counterpart.

Yeah, because all dark skinned girls act the same.

MAL is a hell of a cancerous place...
Dec 30, 2017 5:30 PM

Jul 2017
This thread started a war, didn't it?

Crying doesn't mean you're weak.
Enduring doesn't mean you're strong.
Jan 1, 2020 4:32 AM

Jul 2016
Before someone calls me racist,as a fellow Asian I just have more of a preference towards light skin,that’s all,I simply don’t find darker skin attractive.I don’t give a damn about representation because I am fine with anime as it is,there is no need to force in black characters just for the sake of representation.
Jan 1, 2020 4:49 AM

Dec 2014
I am fine with how things are... Light skin permits a lot of diversity in design. There are brown skinned characters in anime (excluding gyaru), and those characters are usually made sexy or badass, so it works as a feature itself. But can anyone imagine for example K-ON with dark skin? There is very little space to work with dark skin and make it look good in anime. I've seen a lot of Comics in the past few years, where they go with anime designs, but give them dark skin... and to be honest, dark skinned characters with pink, green or blue hair look really gay and weird.
Jan 1, 2020 8:20 AM

Jun 2015
The right answer is NO!

pure white waifus are the best
Jan 1, 2020 9:29 AM
Feb 2017
Well to be fair the color white reflects the most wavelengths of colors, so in this case it has the most diversity.
Jan 1, 2020 9:31 AM

Jul 2011
What kind of question is that? Like is the skin color really that important? I personally don't care.

Jan 1, 2020 3:06 PM
ᴛʜʀᴇᴀᴅ★ʀᴇᴀᴘᴇʀ

Dec 2018
tsubasa_ said:
What kind of question is that? Like is the skin color really that important? I personally don't care.

yo ikr, who the hell revived this thread
as long as there's good and interesting characters, then it's fine
Jan 1, 2020 3:16 PM
Jul 2018
I'm more of a blue skin guy myself.

I have a blue house with a blue window. Blue is the color of all that I wear.
Jan 1, 2020 3:18 PM
Review Moderator
Onii Chan

Mar 2018
I prefer pale anime girls to dark skinned ones.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »

More topics from this board

» Upcoming Dubbed Anime ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kenny_Stryker - Dec 17, 2017

9049 by thatoneguy2440 »»
2 minutes ago

» Anime that low-testosterone males can't comprehend ( 1 2 )

Ejrodiew - Apr 14

81 by ColourWheel »»
2 minutes ago

» Anime you only knowledges about is from the memes

Spunkert - 5 hours ago

13 by -Aurelius- »»
4 minutes ago

Poll: » Do you tend to watch newer seasonal shows, or older shows?

Akuya - Apr 17

46 by InsomniacBastard »»
7 minutes ago

» Character explaining their own power to opponent is stupid, why do they do that?

Rinrinka - 2 hours ago

17 by BitChilly »»
11 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.