Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Nov 25, 2017 8:49 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Chise survives the encounter but that was still quite intense.

We got to see more of Ruth's past. No wonder Chise reminds him a bit of her. I find it interesting at how this show employs its psychological elements especially with the Chimera (resembles somewhat of Isabel)

I'm also impressed by Chise's courage this episode.
Nov 25, 2017 11:07 AM

Mar 2008
Elias' transformation is wicked looking. I wanted to see Chise go all out but can understand why Elias stopped her. Glad to see her make a pact with Ruth.
Nov 25, 2017 11:08 AM

Apr 2016
Chise is now OP.

What a sad past Ruth have, looks like his "sister" was the same Sleigh Beggy as Chise.
Nov 25, 2017 11:11 AM

May 2015
I love when you search for Cartaphilus on google, the first link you'll get is a mahou tsukai wikia link haha

he takes what he's lost and discards what he's won, he's every bit as alive as you and I
Nov 25, 2017 11:13 AM

Dec 2014
Fantastic episode.

Elias was brutal in his transformed form literally tearing out that chimera.

Pretty sad backstory for Ruth and it sucked that Cartaphilus had to use Isabelle's head for his familiar.

Will-o-the-wisp showed up just in time, he's a cool fairy. xDD

The presentation for the pact between Chise and Ruth was stunning, the insert, the chains and the incantation were awesome. That was really well done.
The blue flames at the end when Will-o was sending off the dead was a nice touch as well.
Nov 25, 2017 11:16 AM
Aug 2015
Something happened to Elia's back when returning home.

Was a side effect/wounds from the transformation?.

I cant wait to see her going all out!, she did what with the crystal when she didnt even know nothing about magic, I cant wait to see her true powers.
Nov 25, 2017 11:20 AM

Sep 2008
HoroSecretDiary said:

I cant wait to see her going all out!, she did what with the crystal when she didnt even know nothing about magic, I cant wait to see her true powers.

I saw that too.. im curious hopefully it will mention it in the next episode.
Delivery (^_^) set by Nate

Nov 25, 2017 11:22 AM

Jun 2015
This was an amazing episode. Elias was brutal in his transformation, tearing apart that chimera. Ruth has a sad backstory. It sucks that Isabelle's head was used for Cartaphilus familiar. What a douchebag. I'm glad Ruth became Chise's familiar. The pact was stunning. Blue Flame was funny.
Nov 25, 2017 11:29 AM

Feb 2017
HoroSecretDiary said:

I think Cartaphilus did something to Elias without him realising.
Nov 25, 2017 11:39 AM

Sep 2013
Chise is badass. She with ease destroyed Elias hand.
This is a bit of a stretch when Elias hugged her, and she doesn't instantly kill him with her power...
Nov 25, 2017 11:52 AM
Dec 2014
Actually it wasn't really "destroyed", it's more that she was absorbing all the magic around her. And then when his had got too close that too got absorbed
“There are only three ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The second is as though everything is a miracle. The third is as though everything is a choice by Steins;Gate.”
Nov 25, 2017 12:02 PM

Jun 2014
Elias wasn't in his transformed state for very long, but it was cool to watch him fuck shit up in the short time he spent in that state.

We got some backstory on Ruth and it was sad to see what happened to his sister, especially since he loved her a lot. And then that piece of shit Cartaphilus added insult to injury by using her for his chimera.

I really liked that sequence where Ruth was becoming Chise's familiar, that was done really well. Great episode overall.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Nov 25, 2017 12:17 PM
Jul 2016
Even though the cliffhanger last week was great, in this episode i felt like the pacing was a bit too fast, they were jumping from major event to major event. This needed 30 minutes or so in order to not feel slightly rushed, even if it meant not ending on that cliffhanger or giving a 3rd episode to this mini-story. I suppose it gets difficult to do just that when every manga chapter is 50 pages long.
Nov 25, 2017 12:23 PM
#1 Hitagi Lover

Apr 2014
Another great episode. Chise ends up being ok even after getting stabbed. It was pretty sad to see Ulysse when his sister Isabelle died. It's good to know everyone is ok even after Cartaphilus chased after the group when they were saved by the Wil O Wisp.

The scene where Chise was protecting Ulysse was beautiful and intense. They also finally make a pact where she gives him a new name which is Ruth. Now the household has a new member.

Very excited for the next episode.
Nov 25, 2017 12:41 PM

Aug 2013
Dank as fucc boi. Chise almost went in.
Don't believe the hype.
Nov 25, 2017 12:50 PM
Mar 2015
Glad that Chise saved Ruth by making him her familiar and that he was able to save Isabelle from Joseph. Sorry ,life is so painful to you Joseph but just it causes you pain does not give you the right to inflict it on others
Nov 25, 2017 12:54 PM

Apr 2012
I love Cartaphilus' character. Like how he's gone bipolar from living so long. The mind cannot endure and keep its form, living is changing, etc. Will-o-the-wisp was pretty cute, kind of reminded me of FF's tomberry.

Pact with Ruts definitely felt like a marriage ceremony though, almost like a rehearsal. Too josei for my taste. The day I get a cat as a familiar, I won't be doing any of that stuff, I'm telling you that for free.
Nov 25, 2017 12:55 PM

Feb 2017
Swagernator said:
Chise is now OP.

Well thats the reason Elias wanted to train her to become a mage, if he helps her overcome the short life spam of a sleigh beggy it think it's implied she'll become the strongest mage alive.
Nov 25, 2017 12:56 PM

Apr 2012
Luxeraph said:
Well thats the reason Elias wanted to train her to become a mage, if he helps her overcome the short life spam of a sleigh beggy it think it's implied she'll become the strongest mage alive.
Yeah, can't wait to see her phoenix form like in the opening.
Nov 25, 2017 12:56 PM

Jul 2012
Another beatiful episode! So much stuff happening, first Elias going all-out, then Chise and Will-o-wisp saving them from Cartaphilus, really like how magic is animated. Finally Ruth joins the party, those red glowing eyes! Until next time for Joseph to appear and bring destruction.
Nov 25, 2017 12:58 PM

Sep 2010
Okay so maybe someone whose read the manga or caught something i missed can answer this...what happened to the big hole she should have in her from being stabbed right through by the big chimera? Did she somehow self heal with magic because of what she is? She just got better real quick for someone who just got turned into human shishkebab.

EratiK said:
Luxeraph said:
Yeah, can't wait to see her phoenix form like in the opening.

huh...i just rewatched the opening. you may have just answered my earlier question while i was typing it lol

Mod Edit: Merged duplicated posts; please use the edit button.
NexuNov 25, 2017 1:23 PM
Nov 25, 2017 1:03 PM

Apr 2012
Grimtempest said:
huh...i just rewatched the opening. you may have just answered my earlier question while i was typing it lol
I don't know, I think it might have something to do with the dog, I haven't read the manga either.
Nov 25, 2017 1:16 PM

Apr 2017
Went by so fast! Amazing episode. Love Chise's bond with Ruth, can't wait for more.
Nov 25, 2017 1:20 PM
Sep 2017
OH MY GAWD!!! This episode was so amazing! I got goosebumps and I was shivering at the end of the episode. My heart was pounding and I wanted to cry like two times in this episodes... It was so beautiful! I LOVED IT!
Nov 25, 2017 1:23 PM

Jun 2015
Why the heck did she give the dog a woman's name? It ruined the mood of the scene, which was otherwise very good. Call him Rex or Milo, but not friggin Ruth!
Nov 25, 2017 1:28 PM

Mar 2014
A great episode like always. It was great to see how Chise has grown to the point that she could be so furious at someone (although it looked like she was about to dip into some "dark/forbidden" magic there)
Nov 25, 2017 1:34 PM

Sep 2014
oh that was great! Cant wait to see the little brat again, Im so glad this is a double cour anime.
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Nov 25, 2017 1:37 PM

Aug 2015
I don't like it, boring new characters. I didn't like the familiar there, that contract... For me, this interrupts the romance. Already the Cartaphilus, is a completely boring and toxic character! And something strange, it's Chise demonstrating power without knowing magic.
Nov 25, 2017 1:37 PM
Jul 2017
AnotherGuy said:
Why the heck did she give the dog a woman's name? It ruined the mood of the scene, which was otherwise very good. Call him Rex or Milo, but not friggin Ruth!
I think it works honestly...I honest to god forgot Ruth was even a girl's name until I read this, but I feel like I've seen guys who have the name Ruth.

Also: Define ruth: compassion for the misery of another; sorrow for one's own faults : remorse

I just searched up the name and thats what came up. I feel like that was a REALLY nice touch on the mangaka's part (who prob came up with the name) because it gives the name Chise gave him a deeper meaning and ties in nicely with the whole theme of the episode and their character interaction :)
Nov 25, 2017 1:38 PM

Dec 2012
Great episode.
Elias is ruthless tearing into the Mantis. Glad Chise was able to calm him down & vice versa.

Blue Flame is cool.

Cartaphilus is crazy & that chimera with Isabelle's head was creepy as hell.

Chise & Ruth forming a pact was awesome.
"I’ve set myself to become the King of the Pirates…and if I die trying…then at least I tried!" Monkey D. Luffy (One Piece)

Nov 25, 2017 1:47 PM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
Seriously, why is no one animating chains normally, lately chains in anime are solely CGI lol

The pact was pretty beautiful, Ruth is already my favourite character of the show to be honest. His complete loyalty is amazing.

Cartaphilus is quite annoying to be honest, don't like the character. Hopefully not a big deal of time dedicated to him in the remainder of the series.

Elias and Chise are growing on me as a supposed ''future husband and wife'', great harmony there.
Nov 25, 2017 1:56 PM

Mar 2016
Ahhhhhh what a great episode!
Gave me lots of chills... goddamn I that sorcerer is evil

Cartaphilus... Joseph ... everybody has multiple names ... damn
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 25, 2017 2:07 PM

Nov 2016
Chise and Ruth making the contract along with the OST was a beautiful moment.

Ruth had indeed quite the tragic past,but I'm glad that he can leave it behind now with Chises help.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Nov 25, 2017 2:28 PM

Feb 2016
elytrixx said:
AnotherGuy said:
I think it works honestly...I honest to god forgot Ruth was even a girl's name until I read this, but I feel like I've seen guys who have the name Ruth.

Also: Define ruth: compassion for the misery of another; sorrow for one's own faults : remorse

I just searched up the name and thats what came up. I feel like that was a REALLY nice touch on the mangaka's part (who prob came up with the name) because it gives the name Chise gave him a deeper meaning and ties in nicely with the whole theme of the episode and their character interaction :)

Ruth is not only a girl name, also, the meaning of the name is important, which Elytrixx states it here. Don't think of names as only a word.
"We could make the world better, but it's easier to just shut our eyes."
~Blackwall
Nov 25, 2017 2:36 PM

Feb 2016
The amount of world building on this episode was great, that blue flames thingy was an interesting addition on this episode. Also, That chimera reminded me a bit of "Chaos Witch Queelag" from Dark Souls (for many reasons) Which is pretty neat.

Grimtempest said:
Okay so maybe someone whose read the manga or caught something i missed can answer this...what happened to the big hole she should have in her from being stabbed right through by the big chimera? Did she somehow self heal with magic because of what she is? She just got better real quick for someone who just got turned into human shishkebab.

well it leads to Ruth using some sort of healing on her, or just Chise's Will to live , she still has that "hole" but it is not really that much of a "hole", its like a deep cut or something like that. I also believe that maybe (JUST MAYBE) the Fairy queen might have set her some sort of magic on her
"We could make the world better, but it's easier to just shut our eyes."
~Blackwall
Nov 25, 2017 2:45 PM

May 2015
HoroSecretDiary said:

I saw it too. I need to know what it means! for a moment I thought maybe Cartaphilus had done something but maybe it's a side effect from changing to his original form? idk, I need answers! lol
Nov 25, 2017 2:49 PM

May 2015
HereticHunter said:
The amount of world building on this episode was great, that blue flames thingy was an interesting addition on this episode. Also, That chimera reminded me a bit of "Chaos Witch Queelag" from Dark Souls (for many reasons) Which is pretty neat.

Grimtempest said:

well it leads to Ruth using some sort of healing on her, or just Chise's Will to live , she still has that "hole" but it is not really that much of a "hole", its like a deep cut or something like that. I also believe that maybe (JUST MAYBE) the Fairy queen might have set her some sort of magic on her

I think she was healed by that black carbon the fairy gave her.
Nov 25, 2017 2:54 PM

Jul 2015
Pretty disappointed with this episode. The pacing was extremely rushed. Chise's out-of-nowhere powers were abrupt, even with the sliver of information where she is told how magic works. Then Ruth and Chise got too close to each other over a small period of time, and it was -- at least for me -- messing with her and Elias's romantic relationship. Then we have several "battle standoffs" where characters are standing within attack range of each other talking like neither of them are in a position where they could be killed. And in the end they just let Cartaphilus go, not even attempting to subdue him, while fully knowing how much of a threat he will be in the future. Worst episode of the series for me, but still an amazing show overall.
Nov 25, 2017 3:09 PM
Apr 2016
Loved this episode, this anime still amazes me. Can't wait for more. Does anyone know the name of the song that plays when Chise and Ruth form a Pact?
Nov 25, 2017 3:41 PM

Apr 2012
sneepqueen said:
Loved this episode, this anime still amazes me. Can't wait for more. Does anyone know the name of the song that plays when Chise and Ruth form a Pact?
Credits say Anno Domino by Houjou Hibiki (北條響). Might be a pseudo because I can't find anything about the singer.
Nov 25, 2017 3:44 PM
Mar 2016
a clear example of why dogs are perfect
Nov 25, 2017 4:02 PM
Aug 2017
Great episode once again, glad Chise was okay. Elias ripped the Chimera apart, Chise wasn't scared of his transformation. Unfortunately Cartaphilus got away so we'll be seeing more of her smirky face in the future. Ruth became Chise's familiar and that moment was well made. Blue Flame was quite funny.

ThunderCRDCNov 25, 2017 4:28 PM
Nov 25, 2017 4:29 PM

Dec 2016
God Cartaphilus is such an asshole and is so annoying and I can't wait until that little bitch gets killed, or banished, or whatever they see fit to do to him.

Also I'm glad Ruth is officially in the group, and as Chise's familiar no less!
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Nov 25, 2017 4:44 PM
Jan 2014
What is it about this show that makes it so boring?
Nov 25, 2017 5:17 PM

May 2014
Sorry Elias, you wanted to marry Chise but she went ahead and married a dog instead. I can't be the only one who thought that pact ritual was like a weird wedding ceremony tho, right?

Seriously though, the whole Chise/Ruth thing was beautiful. Now neither of them will ever be lonely ever again because no matter what, they'll have each other. I mean, it's pretty likely that they'll be dying together too ;-;

That Joseph kid is annoying, creepy and really reminds me of Alois from Black Butler. I was kinda pissed when he woke up but it really does look like he's the primary antagonist so I'll hafta deal with it, I guess XD

Also, Isabelle really did look like Chise. Ruth's past made me cry as well- I kept wondering if that's what dogs think when their owners die. It was so sad.
I'm just happy that Chise is building this cute, quasi-family of fairies now.

Doesn't look like things are gonna be staying calm though, if that ending and the preview were anything to go by. Like, wtf is Elias doing on Chise's bed?! WHAT HAPPENED TO THAT COURTLY GENTLEMAN

Anyway, I think Ruth will make a great addition to the cast.
I just hope he doesn't end up largely ignored like Silky has been so far. Seriously, what is the point of her character? She's my only complaint in the series so far because she's added nothing. It sticks out like a sore thumb because all the other characters have pretty well-defined roles.

I'm just hoping she'll get an arc or something eventually. Can any manga readers give me a heads up??
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 25, 2017 5:57 PM

May 2014
And with this it a 10 anime for me. This faithful adaption was 9 but the soundtrack goes so well with not just this episode but the previous scores of previous episodes.
Nov 25, 2017 5:57 PM

Dec 2013
I wish they did a better job explaining how Chise survived but I really liked her in this episode.
Nov 25, 2017 6:19 PM
Jan 2014
What's the name of the song during the pact between Chise & Ruth?
Nov 25, 2017 6:32 PM

Jul 2016
Good episode but I felt it kinda rushed... a lot of things happened and idk, maybe if it had been handled with another episode or half an episode, I'd haven't felt this way.

And not to mention the chibi moments... I undestand it's common in this anime but this time I really felt it out of place. The whole situation was already too serious (Chise getting stabbed, Cartaphilus creating creppy chimeras using corpses, etc.).

However, It was a good episode, not the best but interesting. I like this anime, pls don't bully me.
Nov 25, 2017 7:15 PM
Jan 2016
Simply, best anime of this season...
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mahoutsukai no Yome Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Mills - Jul 26, 2017

375 by yelansh »»
Mar 30, 2:43 PM

Poll: » Mahoutsukai no Yome Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 23, 2018

266 by NotBonBon »»
Mar 24, 4:30 PM

Poll: » Mahoutsukai no Yome Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 3, 2018

81 by hales_comet »»
Feb 22, 8:24 PM

Poll: » Mahoutsukai no Yome Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

UrbanJahts - Jul 26, 2017

247 by hales_comet »»
Feb 21, 8:09 PM

Poll: » Mahoutsukai no Yome Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Nov 4, 2017

189 by satyamkumar4005 »»
Jan 12, 9:00 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.