Forum Settings
Forums

Are you grateful that majority of anime characters have light skin?

New
Does the general state of anime skin color need to be altered?
No, anime is fine with light skin waifus.
63.5%
Yes, anime needs to expand horizons and include more people of color in their quota
36.5%
521 votes
Nov 22, 2017 1:31 PM
Nov 2017
Greetings all, anyone even remotely aware of this medium will know that most anime characters have light skin because Japanese people have light skin comparable to Caucasian people. If we think about it, would anime be as popular outside of its country of origin if it was made from say, Africa? With the only difference being the majority skin color changed and nothing else?

I personally don't think so, there is something about ivory-skinned waifus that just get you excited without knowing why and let's face it...ivory>ebony.

Thoughts?
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Nov 22, 2017 1:34 PM

Feb 2013
it makes the brown loli even sweeter

if the opposite was true than it would be the ivory loli which gets trade banned
Nov 22, 2017 1:40 PM

Jul 2015
''would anime be as popular outside of its country of origin if it was made from say, Africa?"

I don't think skin color is what makes anime popular.
Nov 22, 2017 1:43 PM

Aug 2015
Not to be rude but I don't think I could get off to dark-skinned waifus.
Nov 22, 2017 1:45 PM

Oct 2013
no not really because regardless if they're white or brown they look like your average anime character but yes I do prefer white over brown skin in terms of sexiness be it anime or real life
now if it would be just as popular its hard to say. It could have the same core audience or be just as popular but with another audience for all we know
Nov 22, 2017 1:46 PM

Dec 2016
Who tf cares what colour skin the characters have?
Nov 22, 2017 1:50 PM

Jul 2016

Did you switch back to your main account after making this thread?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 22, 2017 1:56 PM

Mar 2014

Here's that race baiting attention you ordered
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Nov 22, 2017 2:06 PM

Jun 2016
I wish there was more dark skin in anime, and I think it's a shame there isn't. Not because I want inclusion and diversity—I'm the last person who would want something for those reasons— but because dark skin is so damn attractive to me, both in 2D and 3D. Since I'm white I guess they call this jungle fever?

dark_skin is easy the most consistent tag I use on Boorus.
Nov 22, 2017 2:09 PM

May 2012
I don't care. I don't watch anime for skin color and I doubt skin color matters to that extent. Black people love Bleach and Naruto and yet most of the characters are not brown skinned.
Nov 22, 2017 2:15 PM

Nov 2017
Duke_of_York said:
If we think about it, would anime be as popular outside of its country of origin if it was made from say, Africa?

Yeah, sure, an anime coming from Africa...

Nov 22, 2017 2:18 PM

Nov 2012
Spagem said:
I wish there was more dark skin in anime, and I think it's a shame there isn't. Not because I want inclusion and diversity—I'm the last person who would want something for those reasons— but because dark skin is so damn attractive to me, both in 2D and 3D. Since I'm white I guess they call this jungle fever?

dark_skin is easy the most consistent tag I use on Boorus.

Only the 3rd and maybe 2nd one I would call attractive, 4th is way too dark.

Who's the 3rd one btw?
Nov 22, 2017 2:18 PM

Aug 2013
Ebony> ivory. Dark skinned waifus for life.

Nov 22, 2017 2:27 PM

Aug 2013
Darek said:
DrGeroCreation said:
Dark skinned girls are amazing, sucks we get so little of them :/
Yeah they are. There are a good bit of them in anime though even though not as much as light skinned characters.
Nov 22, 2017 2:31 PM
Jul 2018
Subscribed today
Only one message
First thread is about race quotas

@DrGeroCreation How could you forget this one:

Nov 22, 2017 2:32 PM

Jun 2016
SuperRed said:

Who's the 3rd one btw?
Natalia from The Idolmaster.

@DrGeroCreation I'm gonna need the sauce on that second one, pal.

Darek said:
No, because I happen to not be a racist.
Lack of diversity =/= racism
Nov 22, 2017 2:32 PM
Nov 2017
Comic_Sans said:

Here's that race baiting attention you ordered

Now now, no need to be rude...why do you think I'm baiting if I may ask?
Nov 22, 2017 2:35 PM
Nov 2017
Conno_r said:

Nah, it's not rude everyone has preferences :)
Nov 22, 2017 2:37 PM

Mar 2014
Duke_of_York said:
Take a long hard guess, Sherlock Holmes
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Nov 22, 2017 2:39 PM
Jul 2018
Darek said:
No, because I happen to not be a racist.

The majority of anime characters are supposed to be asian because the shows are aimed at the japanese audience, i guess that by your logic they are being "racist" towards whites too.
Nov 22, 2017 2:40 PM

Aug 2015
Duke_of_York said:
Conno_r said:

Nah, it's not rude everyone has preferences :)
That's good to know, I suppose you're right. Thanks. xD
Nov 22, 2017 2:42 PM
Nov 2017
Comic_Sans said:
Duke_of_York said:
Take a long hard guess, Sherlock Holmes

Look, I just happen to be new and I just happen to want to ask a question, no malice involved so I'm not 'baiting' alright?
Nov 22, 2017 2:49 PM

Jan 2016
There is absolute to generally change unless one wishes to virtue signal to the kind of people who don’t even watch anime tbh. Although if someone wants a character with a darker skin tone then they can go right ahead.
Nov 22, 2017 3:01 PM

Nov 2017
Darek said:
Spagem said:
Lack of diversity =/= racism
Nothing is sexist, nothing is racist, nothing is homophobic and we have to point out how not-___ it is. I'd say being glad of black characters not being there is kinda racist. Not caring about the amount is one thing, the question in the title is another...

Half of the world population have dark skin color, and plenty of them are ridiculously rich. They have more than enough manpower and economical resources to create their own content where there won't be evil racist light skinned racists if they want.

What is racist is your paternalism.
Nov 22, 2017 3:08 PM
Jun 2017

guess which one easier to draw
Anime character isn't white because of race or whatever. They look white because it's the easiest color to apply to
Nov 22, 2017 3:15 PM
Jul 2018
Why are the simpsons yellow if they are americans?
Nov 22, 2017 3:18 PM

Aug 2013
SupremeEdgelord said:
@DrGeroCreation How could you forget this one:
I have never liked that Outlaw star's character's design tbh. Not a fan of the over the top hairy ears. In general I don't like Outlaw star character designs.
Nov 22, 2017 3:18 PM

Nov 2017
Jesus, what's wrong with some people on this site?

I think this sort of stuff can be kinda stupid to try and apply to media that comes from a country that views race much differently than we do in the west. For the most part, Japanese people view most anime characters as Japanese, and the idea that they're supposed to look white is just a misconception by people here in the West. It's kinda pointless western babbling to try and apply race to the medium of anime and manga tbh.

But I do think that it would probably be harder for anime to be popular in the west if it had more dark-skinned characters, because people can be ridiculously close-minded and don't like media that don't reflect them (though this applies more to white people in the west I guess, since most of us brown and black people are pretty used to not having movies and tv really reflect us).

I think this also ignores the fact that there are in fact a lot of characters who are portrayed with darker shades of skin as well.
Nov 22, 2017 3:29 PM

Jul 2016
They are just appealing to their audiences, they have no requirement to do quotas.
Nov 22, 2017 3:43 PM

Oct 2014
Well where is the "I don't care" option?

The thing is with such arguments is that they are pretty counter intuitive, I mean doesn't it kinda undermine the whole "Skin Color doesn't matter" argument?

DrGeroCreation said:

These are some fine Ladies indeed.

Nyu said:
They are just appealing to their audiences, they have no requirement to do quotas.

Plus they mostly either take place in Japan or europe (Britain mostly) Where Dark skinned and etc are a Minority, it would be a bit weird if they weren't (unless it has a "plot" reason for it.
and when Anime goes towards Countries with for example dark skinned ppl then that country is mostly dark skinned anyway.

plus Japan is also a bit Xenophobic.
Nov 22, 2017 3:50 PM

Jul 2016
Bourmegar said:

The thing is with such arguments is that they are pretty counter intuitive, I mean doesn't it kinda undermine the whole "Skin Color doesn't matter" argument?

DrGeroCreation said:

Nyu said:

Plus they mostly either take place in Japan or europe (Britain mostly) Where Dark skinned and etc are a Minority, it would be a bit weird if they weren't (unless it has a "plot" reason for it.
and when Anime goes towards Countries with for example dark skinned ppl then that country is mostly dark skinned anyway.

This is the best.

When they do Europe, they shouldn't show dark skinned, but light skinned, when they do Africa, it makes sense to show dark skinned.

Also, Japan isn't xenophobic.
Nov 22, 2017 3:51 PM

Jul 2014
OP who's alt are you again.........
Nov 22, 2017 3:59 PM

Jul 2015
Well, the origin of anime is manga and despite the fact that Japanese arent black, its way easier to draw, because shading isnt needed at all.. It would be far more time consuming to draw colored characters. But yearh, there are some popular shows with dark colored MCs, but another question. How do you wanna have a Japan located setup and explain a high number of colored characters? I guess just this answers your question.
Nov 22, 2017 4:04 PM

Jan 2009
dark skinned anime girls are hot so i like to see more of them
Nov 22, 2017 4:18 PM
Jun 2015
PirateMadryk said:
Well, the origin of anime is manga and despite the fact that Japanese arent black, its way easier to draw, because shading isnt needed at all.. It would be far more time consuming to draw colored characters. But yearh, there are some popular shows with dark colored MCs, but another question. How do you wanna have a Japan located setup and explain a high number of colored characters? I guess just this answers your question.
What anime are you watching? Modern anime in general don't use much shading besides shadows, blemishes, lighting effects that are created by the computer. Making a dark skinned character is no more difficult than a light skinned character.
Nov 22, 2017 4:26 PM

Nov 2016
No, cause dark skin is friggin yummy.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Nov 22, 2017 4:29 PM

Aug 2013
"Yes, anime needs to expand horizons and include more people of color in their quota"
No offensive to all (this option) voters, but gtfo.
rsc-plNov 22, 2017 4:33 PM
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Nov 22, 2017 4:30 PM

Oct 2014
Nyu said:
Bourmegar said:

This is the best.

When they do Europe, they shouldn't show dark skinned, but light skinned, when they do Africa, it makes sense to show dark skinned.

They can Show dark skinned ppl in an europian setting, but then it should be a minority in order for the setting to be acurate unless it takes place in for example: certain residential ereas in Amsterdam (where quite a lot of dark skinned live) and Anime does care a lot about the setting.
Nov 22, 2017 4:32 PM

Jul 2016
Bourmegar said:
Nyu said:

This is the best.

They can Show dark skinned ppl in an europian setting, but then it should be a minority in order for the setting to be acurate unless it takes place in for example: certain residential ereas in Amsterdam (where quite a lot of dark skinned live) and Anime does care a lot about the setting.

Well in that case, they should show light skinned characters in Africa.
Nov 22, 2017 4:32 PM

Oct 2016
I don't care about the skin colour of the characters. I only care when I realise that I want to cosplay one day, but there's like no anime character with my skin colour. Other than that? Can't be bothered.
Nov 22, 2017 4:36 PM

Oct 2016
Nyu said:

Of course they should, if it takes place in Northern Africa or South Africa that is.
Nov 22, 2017 4:38 PM

Jul 2016
Minami said:
Nyu said:

Of course they should, if it takes place in Northern Africa or South Africa that is.

Well it just makes more sense to show people in their respective lands.
Nov 22, 2017 4:38 PM
Voltekka!

Sep 2017
I can see where this thread is going...
on a side note, this is also bait.
Nov 22, 2017 4:45 PM

Oct 2014
Nyu said:
Bourmegar said:

As long as they are a minority there also yes.
Nov 22, 2017 4:46 PM

Oct 2016
Nyu said:
Minami said:

They are being portrayed in their respective lands. Or are you conveniently forgetting that most of Northern Africa is made up of light skinned Arabs and white people live in South Africa? Hence making your argument invalid.
But to be honest, I’m not surprised you’re the one saying this.
Nov 22, 2017 4:54 PM

Jul 2016
Minami said:
Nyu said:

They are being portrayed in their respective lands. Or are you conveniently forgetting that most of Northern Africa is made up of light skinned Arabs and white people live in South Africa? Hence making your argument invalid.

Are you forgetting that Europeans colonised South Africa.
And in Europe, Africans immigrated to Europe.
Nov 22, 2017 4:59 PM

Oct 2015
I actually really like tanned female characters. I'm quite attracted to them.

π”šπ”žπ”«π”«π”ž 𝔱𝔬𝔲𝔠π”₯ 𝔢𝔬𝔲,
π”šπ”žπ”«π”±π”¦π”«' 𝔢𝔬𝔲 𝔴𝔦𝔱π”₯ π”žπ”©π”© π”ͺ𝔢 π”ͺ𝔦𝔀π”₯𝔱

Nov 22, 2017 5:00 PM

Oct 2016
Nyu said:
Minami said:

So what you’re saying is that Africans (or dark skinned people?) shouldn’t be shown in European settings because they immigrated to Europe? Sorry but how does that make sense. The point is that they’re a minority NOW and therefore there’s nothing wrong with showing them in that setting. Anyways, just correct me if I understood you wrong, in the meantime I will sleep seeing as I already have a little amount of hours to sleep left, before my alarm goes off.

Edited because my sleepy brain wrote majority instead of minority
Nov 22, 2017 5:07 PM

Oct 2017
OP need to add "I don't fucking care" option to the poll.
Nov 22, 2017 5:13 PM

Jul 2016
Minami said:
Nyu said:

So what you’re saying is that Africans (or dark skinned people?) shouldn’t be shown in European settings because they immigrated to Europe? Sorry but how does that make sense. The point is that they’re a minority NOW and therefore there’s nothing wrong with showing them in that setting. Anyways, just correct me if I understood you wrong, in the meantime I will sleep seeing as I already have a little amount of hours to sleep left, before my alarm goes off.

Edited because my sleepy brain wrote majority instead of minority

"The point is that they’re a minority NOW"

You do know we're not a minority.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hentai is the worst anime genre ever created. ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

72 by Otakupervert890 »»
5 minutes ago

Poll: » Best Russian in anime

Catalano - 10 hours ago

21 by RobertBobert »»
5 minutes ago

Poll: » Does your first ever favourite anime(s) still holds a place in your favs?

NubFix - 17 minutes ago

2 by Otakupervert890 »»
9 minutes ago

» How you feel about non-Japanese entertainment/media using Anime art style?

Dragevard - 2 hours ago

4 by MichaelJackson »»
24 minutes ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

58 by TsutanaiFuun »»
30 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.