Forum Settings
Forums

'Gantz' and 'I Am a Hero' Authors to Each Pen New Manga Series

New
Nov 10, 2017 10:46 PM
Content Admin
Overkilled Red

Aug 2013

The 23rd issue of this year's Big Comic Superior magazine has announced on Friday that manga authors Hiroya Oku (Gantz, Inuyashiki) and Kengo Hanazawa (I Am a Hero) will each pen a new manga series. Oku's GIGANT manga (pictured far right) will begin its serialization in the first 2018 issue of the magazine on December 8. Hanazawa's new manga title and its launch date will be announced at a later time.

Oku has been publishing manga since 1988, with his first major title Gantz running for 37 volumes between 2000 and 2013 in Young Jump magazine. His recent Inuyashiki manga launched in January 2014 and concluded in ten volumes on July 25. Gantz received a two-cours TV anime adaptation in 2004, and in 2016 the series was adapted into a full-length CGI movie by Digital Frontier. An anime adaptation of Inuyashiki produced by MAPPA began its broadcast on October 13, and the series is scheduled to air throughout Fall 2017.

Hanazawa is known for his I Am a Hero manga, which began its serialization in 2009 in Big Comic Spirits magazine and ended on February 27 of this year with a total of 22 volumes. The series was nominated for the 3rd, 4th, and 5th Manga Taisho Award, and won the 58th Shogakukan Manga Award in the general manga category in 2013. Dark Horse has licensed the manga for North American release and published the fourth omnibus volume on August 29. A live-action film adaptation premiered in Japan on April 23.

Source: Comic Natalie

Nov 10, 2017 10:49 PM

Jan 2015
I'm more interested in Oku's new manga
Nov 10, 2017 11:20 PM
Jul 2018
I'm just going to stay away from Oku's work. Gantz left me such a bad taste in my mouth... Buuuut I'll check the one from the other author to be honest :S
Nov 10, 2017 11:46 PM

Dec 2015
Looking forward to both of their works, especially Hanazawa's.
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Nov 11, 2017 1:43 AM

Oct 2015
Yeah, I don't like Hiroya's works. Might check out Hanazawa's
Nov 11, 2017 1:48 AM

Oct 2011
good news i'm excited for both new projects

boobs are right size so you know gantz's mangaka is on point

"When the time is yours,
the future is waiting,
The person you become,
and the people you're creating.
"
Nov 11, 2017 2:02 AM

Apr 2014
I like how this news completely omited to talk about the two authors in the middle, Yuugo Ishikawa and Aki Yamamoto.
Authors that aren't as popular as Hanazawa or Oku are not worth mentioning ? Pretty rude and sad if you ask me..
Nov 11, 2017 2:07 AM

Feb 2016
New Oku manga? DAMN SON, I hope he finally learned how to properly end his stories.
Nov 11, 2017 3:07 AM

Apr 2013
Dullboy said:
I like how this news completely omited to talk about the two authors in the middle, Yuugo Ishikawa and Aki Yamamoto.
Authors that aren't as popular as Hanazawa or Oku are not worth mentioning ? Pretty rude and sad if you ask me..

Agreed. There are 5 (and not 4) authors starting new manga on that picture, yet the news doesn't even bother with the name of three of them. 5th is Torishima Haito (sketchbook to manatsu no suizokukan, etc).
ZefyrisNov 11, 2017 3:22 AM
Nov 11, 2017 3:19 AM

Mar 2015
Zefyris said:
Dullboy said:

Agreed. There are 5 (and not 4) authors starting new manga on that picture, yet the news doesn't even bother with the name of two of them. 5th is Torishima Haito (sketchbook to manatsu no suizokukan, etc).

aren't mal doesn't even reporting when weekly shounen jump announcing 6 new series?
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Nov 11, 2017 3:23 AM

Apr 2013
Kuma said:
Zefyris said:

Agreed. There are 5 (and not 4) authors starting new manga on that picture, yet the news doesn't even bother with the name of two of them. 5th is Torishima Haito (sketchbook to manatsu no suizokukan, etc).

aren't mal doesn't even reporting when weekly shounen jump announcing 6 new series?

We sure know when an obscure seiyuu is getting married though.
Nov 11, 2017 3:45 AM

Oct 2014
Zefyris said:
Kuma said:

We sure know when an obscure seiyuu is getting married though.

And MAL only tells us when a manga gets an adaptation. Not when a manga starts, heck MAL only tells us when POPULAR manga are going to end.

Heck even the pics tells us that only Oku and Hanazawa matter, the other 3 just got squished in the middle.

On a different note, I would like to see more anime with that kinda realistic style (but then again, doing so much detail in an anime would be a nightmare for the production).
Nov 11, 2017 3:52 AM

Jun 2014
After seeing 2 episodes of Inuyashiki I know I will avoid Gantz's author at all costs, he is literally a hack. I might check out the new manga from the I am a Hero guy, I haven't finished the manga yet, I'm curious to see if the ending bothers me as much as it bothered other people.
:3
Nov 11, 2017 4:19 AM

Apr 2017
Hmmm *Could be less "AESTHETIC" as Ressentiment*
-HippySnob-Nov 11, 2017 4:28 AM

"Think about that glowing dust
That destroys the night sky's dream of
Just being nothing"
----
Nov 11, 2017 4:21 AM

Jan 2013
I'll be interested to check out Oku's manga. I hope he ends the story properly this time
Nov 11, 2017 5:25 AM

Oct 2012
The two new manga on top look interesting, I'm always up for more medical schlock.
Nov 11, 2017 9:04 AM

May 2015
alpha_shadow said:
After seeing 2 episodes of Inuyashiki I know I will avoid Gantz's author at all costs, he is literally a hack. I might check out the new manga from the I am a Hero guy, I haven't finished the manga yet, I'm curious to see if the ending bothers me as much as it bothered other people.

Yeah, Inuyashiki isn't bad. Plus, you not liking an author ≠ they're a hack.

Nov 11, 2017 9:23 AM

Nov 2012
Kittens-kun said:
alpha_shadow said:

I don't know is he's a hack but after how terrible of an experience Gantz manga was I don't feel like checking anything he does ever again, and not even the One Piece references will motivate me.
Nov 11, 2017 10:39 AM

May 2009
These two authors have some insanely good art, interested to see how they work together.This is hype af
Nov 11, 2017 11:15 AM

Feb 2012
Great mangakas both those fellas.

Looking forward to their works.
Nov 11, 2017 11:18 AM

Jul 2012
rpn101 said:
These two authors have some insanely good art, interested to see how they work together.This is hype af

I don't think they'll be working together; it's just that they both announced that they'll be starting a new manga on the same page haha. But yeah, this is good news for their fans :)
Nov 11, 2017 12:01 PM
Nov 11, 2017 12:12 PM

Oct 2017
Why don't they continue their old series? The ending of I am a hero is just terrible. I don't want it to end in this way at all.
Nov 11, 2017 12:26 PM

Jul 2008
Looking forward to Hanazawa's new series. I'm glad he didn't stretch out I Am a Hero — I thought the ending was perfect.
I write about manga → morningroo.com
and movies → letterboxd.com/ugla
Nov 11, 2017 1:04 PM

Mar 2014
Both masters at terrible endings.
Nov 11, 2017 1:12 PM

Feb 2013
I can't wait to see the new Oku manga.
Nov 11, 2017 1:38 PM

Aug 2016
I loved "I am a hero" so much. And Inuyashiki is so far my favorite anime this season and one of the best ones this year. 2018 will be a good year with these two guys bringing more exciting stories.
:v
Nov 11, 2017 1:40 PM

Aug 2016
Touka said:
Looking forward to Hanazawa's new series. I'm glad he didn't stretch out I Am a Hero — I thought the ending was perfect.

Brofist for that.
:v
Nov 11, 2017 1:40 PM

Nov 2015
SuperRed said:
Kittens-kun said:

I don't know is he's a hack but after how terrible of an experience Gantz manga was I don't feel like checking anything he does ever again, and not even the One Piece references will motivate me.

He's not a Hack. But according to his MAL page he is know for writing manga with gore, violence and sexual scenes. And even wrote an ecchi/yuri series called "Hen".

It's just what the average senien mangaka in Japan writes about.
HACKs! šŸ¤¢šŸ¤®
Nov 11, 2017 2:05 PM
Jul 2018
SuperRed said:
Kittens-kun said:

^ This

and I've only seen the anime. I won't call him a hack at all, but he's literally terrible at even constructing his own story, let alone the anime had horrible execution. And I fear if I even try to watch Inuyashiki which I've heard from some people that the manga goes downhill after a while.

He's on my black list when it comes to people/studios I don't want to get nearby. Which is extremely minor but still.
Nov 11, 2017 5:01 PM

May 2009
Ando said:
rpn101 said:

I don't think they'll be working together; it's just that they both announced that they'll be starting a new manga on the same page haha. But yeah, this is good news for their fans :)
aww I read it wrong :(. Lmao well at least they're both starting new series pretty quick. Thanks for the heads up !
Nov 11, 2017 5:56 PM

Mar 2015
Ando said:
rpn101 said:

usual magazine strategy to hyping it's readers... hence why they cumulated 5 new series.. it's not special to big comic superior either...
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Nov 11, 2017 6:55 PM
Manga DB Admin
Aug 2012
Nice, I'm looking forward to it.

Wasshio said:
SuperRed said:

^ This

and I've only seen the anime ...

Gantz anime ≠ Gantz
Nov 11, 2017 8:18 PM

Jun 2017
yeah i'm pretty excited for both of their works
Nov 11, 2017 10:25 PM

Oct 2015
Hopefully the ending would be better for both mangaka this time round.
Nov 11, 2017 11:02 PM
Jul 2018
Jinbou said:

Wasshio said:

^ This

Gantz anime ≠ Gantz

You have a point there buuuuut... then at the same time I didn't heard good stuff about the source material either (at least from few people that I talked to). Sooo...
Nov 11, 2017 11:32 PM
Aug 2016
so exited for their upcoming work!
Nov 12, 2017 2:25 AM

Sep 2013
This is great. finally a new manga from oku hiroya :)
Nov 12, 2017 5:03 AM

Jun 2015
Wasshio said:
Jinbou said:

Gantz anime ≠ Gantz

You have a point there buuuuut... then at the same time I didn't heard good stuff about the source material either (at least from few people that I talked to). Sooo...
Wasshio said:
Jinbou said:

Gantz anime ≠ Gantz

at the least give the manga a chance before judging the mangaka. I won't deny its a big fuck fest. But in all that aside it surely gives you an existential crisis in between a lot of shock value, screams, tits and a lot of crying. Oh and i almost forgot the best way out of a love triangle ever done.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 12, 2017 5:07 AM

Oct 2014
Wasshio said:
SuperRed said:

^ This

and I've only seen the anime. I won't call him a hack at all, but he's literally terrible at even constructing his own story, let alone the anime had horrible execution. And I fear if I even try to watch Inuyashiki which I've heard from some people that the manga goes downhill after a while.

He's on my black list when it comes to people/studios I don't want to get nearby. Which is extremely minor but still.

But let's be honest here, don't most of the mangas go Downhill after a while?
Most of them do and it only takes a Master to let a series become even better later on, and even then, the series that have gotten better over time Like JoJo and HxH have inconsistent quality.

Plus an Anime adaptation of a manga doesn't really say much about the quality of the manga. Berserk is still one of the best mangas ever written and yet it only got bad adaptations recently.
It doesn't matter if the scource is good or not, what matters is what The anime adaptation does with it. (for example, Nisekoi is a meh manga but Then SHAFT came and gave it the Shinbo touch making it a bit more fun to watch).
Nov 12, 2017 10:58 AM

Nov 2015
Jinbou said:

Wasshio said:

^ This

Gantz anime ≠ Gantz

Sure the GANTZ anime had a different ending then the manga but the manga's ending wasn't so great either.
HACKs! šŸ¤¢šŸ¤®
Nov 12, 2017 12:10 PM
Jul 2018
Arturio said:
Wasshio said:

Wasshio said:

at the least give the manga a chance before judging the mangaka. I won't deny its a big fuck fest. But in all that aside it surely gives you an existential crisis in between a lot of shock value, screams, tits and a lot of crying. Oh and i almost forgot the best way out of a love triangle ever done.

Hmm you do have a point there. Yeah, I think it could be just the fact that the anime left such a bad taste in my mouth to that point so I guess I should probably give it a fair chance before jumping into it.

Bourmegar said:
Wasshio said:

^ This

But let's be honest here, don't most of the mangas go Downhill after a while?
Most of them do and it only takes a Master to let a series become even better later on, and even then, the series that have gotten better over time Like JoJo and HxH have inconsistent quality.

Plus an Anime adaptation of a manga doesn't really say much about the quality of the manga. Berserk is still one of the best mangas ever written and yet it only got bad adaptations recently.
It doesn't matter if the scource is good or not, what matters is what The anime adaptation does with it. (for example, Nisekoi is a meh manga but Then SHAFT came and gave it the Shinbo touch making it a bit more fun to watch).

Of course I'm aware that mangas usually go downhill, more so recently where a series has a promising or okay start and then go down hill from there. And I meant more about the series giving me a bad impression later on, which kinda comes into play as well with Inuyashiki (which is airing). Which I haven't checked myself because of those reasons...

Maybe it's just me being completely closed-minded at the moment due to a certain grudge I had with him, so. I understand your point.

By the way I may have answered as pretty negative or anything because I was being rather defensive about it but I had my fair share of reasons... you can't deny sometimes it can leave a bad impression on someone even if an adaption is good or not. In some sense. So, I shouldn't have really become that defensive despite having my doubts.

For the Berserk statement I can agree on that, the manga is pretty great yet the anime adaption (the recent one, no comment on the 1997 one) was done horribly that gave the anime onlies a bad impression of it as well. I get your point which can reflect on my end.
Nov 12, 2017 12:26 PM

Sep 2017
Two mangakas known for not knowing how to end their manga writes a new manga. I hope they will properly end this.
"When you made this thread, I cried and screamed"

-Swagernator 2017
Nov 12, 2017 2:30 PM
Manga DB Admin
Aug 2012
mehmehperson said:
Jinbou said:

Gantz anime ≠ Gantz

Sure the GANTZ anime had a different ending then the manga but the manga's ending wasn't so great either.

I didn't mean the ending, I think the whole thing was a failure.

Filler endings are not that important anyways since people can just skip them and continue with the manga if they want, I usually don't mind it and enjoy the adaptations even if they have a terrible ending. But in the case of Gantz it was a little bit too much since the anime started disappointing me right from episode 1 >.>

More topics from this board

» Manga 'Ninja to Koroshiya no Futarigurashi' Gets Anime

Vindstot - 4 hours ago

7 by RobertBobert »»
32 minutes ago

» Light Novel 'Saikyou no Shienshoku "Wajutsushi" de Aru Ore wa Sekai Saikyou Clan wo Shitagaeru' Gets TV Anime in Fall 2024

Vindstot - Apr 21

8 by modcarparking »»
3 hours ago

» Netflix Announces 'Garouden: The Way of the Lone Wolf' Anime for May 2024

Hyperion_PS - Apr 21

11 by modcarparking »»
3 hours ago

» 'Arifureta Shokugyou de Sekai Saikyou' Season 3 Unveils Additional Cast, First Promo

Hyperion_PS - Apr 21

2 by BankaiGoku »»
6 hours ago

» TAAF 2024 Anime of the Year Winners Announced

Snow - Apr 19

10 by malvarez1 »»
9 hours ago
Itā€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.