Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Nov 4, 2017 9:53 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Interesting episode, they are adapting chapter 6+ pretty well in terms of capturing Chise's role in this story.

Then, there's the part with Matthew feeling despair after realizing that he can't save Mina. The episode did a neat job at expressing the despair imo and violence imo. For Chise, I hope she realizes that Elias will be there to protect her.

A pretty thrilling episode arc with cats, magic, and showing what love can drive a person can do for someone. Such beautiful soundtrack used this episode for the end too...I can't wait for the OST to come out for this anime.
Nov 4, 2017 10:54 AM

Dec 2014
Killing cats to save his wife..that was distorted to say the least; not to mention she literally exploded by drinking blood? wtf. Good thing Tim was there to take care of things.
I suppose that magician from the past will be one of the antagonists of the story. I hope they are going to give him a good kicking when he reappears.
AnathorNov 4, 2017 1:47 PM
Nov 4, 2017 11:04 AM

Apr 2009
Dang, that was sad.
Nov 4, 2017 11:09 AM

Dec 2014
Great episode again.

Really like how Chise refuted all the claims made by the duo who captured her simple because Elias was the first person who valued and accepted her.

Truly a tragic story for Matthew and Mina, truly a shame that nice people like them ended up where they were simply because one sorcerer decided to use their case an experiment especially since he knew that Matthew would goto any lengths to save his wife.

The purification scene was beautifully done and the insert song was lovely.
Next episode should be another interesting one.
Nov 4, 2017 11:30 AM

Jun 2017
I can't really complain, this arc was adapted perfectly and it brought me on the verge of tears again just like in the manga. While this side story didn't reinvent the wheel it was presented in such a way that it makes one of the most memorable moments in the series for me.

Next episode will have some explanations along with the fairy queen and king making a surprise visit.
Nov 4, 2017 11:32 AM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
I never was able to watch animal cruelty in any way and while they didn't show it outright thankfully, it dampered my mood, subjective obviously.

Good episode for sure though, the flower field was great.

As soon as she turned into goo, it turned really creepy with the imagery, that was crazy.
Nov 4, 2017 11:38 AM

Jul 2012
Good episode and poor kitties :( That sorcerer is really dangerous one and kinda obvious that we'll see him again.
Nov 4, 2017 11:45 AM

Aug 2013
Another good episode.

The story of Matthew and Mina was sad and we will probably see the sorcerer again.

Nov 4, 2017 11:58 AM

Nov 2013
Just as a quick info, when Chise says 'He was the first person to value me' the sentence can also mean 'He was the first person who bought me' (or he bought me before everyone else - Ano hito wa dare yori mo saki ni watashi o katta).

It's subbed as 'bought' in the official trailer from Crunchyroll too.

I'm not saying that it's censoring or whitewashing or anything, since both sentences would fit, I just thought it's nice to know for everyone who didn't/couldn't catch that.

Aside from that I do have to say I love the way Wit handled this episode. I was worried they might tone down the gory parts, but thankfully that wasn't the case.

Looking forward to next week again!
Nov 4, 2017 12:01 PM

Sep 2013
That cat scene was very terrifying to watch. The sound effects of the hacking and slashing sent shivers down my spine. On top of that, the soundtrack made that scene 10x more grim. As an avid cat lover, this is easily the most disturbing scene I've seen in quite a while.

I do have to give this series a lot of praise for making this a very memorable scene with all the little things it did. The walk in the woods was done very well when it transitions to Matthew and Mina until she finally got there. The soundtrack slowly picking up the speed as despair is starting to set in...then abruptly stops when Mina dies. Then Matthew's lines were delivered very well as his voice went from silent, to quiet speaking which gradually turns into yelling then back to being calm and broken.

The resolution to the issue was somewhat average but that butchering scene was awesome and gave a good amount of shock value. I'll remember that for a while.
TehSnawnNov 4, 2017 12:13 PM

Nov 4, 2017 12:23 PM
Jul 2016
Looks like Chise is starting to value her life a little, even if she still has next to no self-esteem. Can't wait to see how she grows as a person in future episodes.

Btw, who is the VA for the sorcerer? I feel like i have heard the voice before.
Nov 4, 2017 12:31 PM

Jun 2014
I think I saw people theorizing last week that the cat killer that they mentioned in the previous episode could be Matthew, and it looks like those people were right. That was disturbing to watch, but I'm glad Tim was there to take care of him before he could do more damage. That sorcerer is fucked up for putting Matthew and Mina in that situation in the first place, and as an experiment too. I wonder what role he'll play later in the story as I'm sure we haven't seen the last of him.

On a brighter note though, that ending scene was beautifully animated, and brought a bit of happiness in a grim episode.

Mouloxas said:
Btw, who is the VA for the sorcerer? I feel like i have heard the voice before.

I believe it's Ayumu Murase, he voices the MC of Haikyuu and is currently voicing the MC of Shoukoku no Altair.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Nov 4, 2017 12:33 PM
Aug 2017
Well damn.

That forest scene was intense, had me all curled up on my chair. Thrilling, sad episode and really well executed.

Seeing Chise cry made me tear up a bit ngl. She was so shocked and desperately trying to change the memory before everything happened that did ...

Make Chise happy pls
Nov 4, 2017 12:50 PM

Sep 2017
My heart. My poor little heart. Man, this was emotional.

A lover who turned himself into a monster to save her loved one. A curse placed upon him. And a girl with a death sentence, the only one able to save him. All the charecters, the music, the ambience to end this episode were just sublime. I really hope they can get back at the bastard who tricked poor Matthew. And now I'm really worried about Chise. It seems that power of hers comes with a hefty price, and I don't want to see her die when she has just found where she belongs.
Nov 4, 2017 12:57 PM

Feb 2016
@Coxerspaniel and @TehSnawn completely unrelated, but it seems funny to me that both of you share a forum pic of the same anime and are one next to each other in the forums... xP
"We could make the world better, but it's easier to just shut our eyes."
~Blackwall
Nov 4, 2017 12:59 PM

Feb 2016
If things goes this way, I shall get ready to engage such beautiful scenarios with slight doses of bleach for the sad scenes, ah this is really heartwarming <3
"We could make the world better, but it's easier to just shut our eyes."
~Blackwall
Nov 4, 2017 1:34 PM

Mar 2016
Amazing episode

It gave way to many feels omgggg. Okay but why are the sorcerers sorta evill? Alright now it seems like sorcerers are like mad scientists... trying to push magic to its limits and stuff :/
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 4, 2017 1:35 PM

Jun 2016
Woah. This episode was borderline 17+. Certainly not too shounen material in there..
Absolutely magnificent anyhow.

Nov 4, 2017 1:49 PM

Dec 2015
Another amazing episode. I never fail to be stunned by how beautiful this anime is. Story, characters, music, animation. It's all so beautiful.
Ace_CardNov 4, 2017 2:23 PM

Nov 4, 2017 1:55 PM

Aug 2016
Fuck man this was hard to watch, didn't enjoy this episode at all...
Nanika ga Okashii
Nov 4, 2017 2:24 PM

Jun 2016
another 5/5 episode <3
Nov 4, 2017 2:27 PM

Dec 2012
Nice episode.

Chise visiting Mina & Matthews memories was scary. All that blood & then Mina turning into black goo.

That sorcerer is big trouble.

Chise saving the two from getting erased was great.
That flower scene & the insert song was amazing & beautiful.
"I’ve set myself to become the King of the Pirates…and if I die trying…then at least I tried!" Monkey D. Luffy (One Piece)

Nov 4, 2017 2:39 PM
Mar 2015
No real cats were harmed in the making of this anime. Chise does trust Elias In the past four episodes she helped two people , a dragon and number of cats to pass on. Whatever happens she is willing to sacrifice herself for others
Nov 4, 2017 3:13 PM

Jul 2013
And, as I expected, Matthew was the cat killer after all. Even though his descend into insanity and Mina's death were tragic, I cannot help but to admit that the sorcerer was a fucking troll xD
Nov 4, 2017 3:20 PM
dozing general

Oct 2017
I’m really enjoying this show :) It’s one of those that makes me want to read the manga because I want more of the story. I also love how they animate all of the flower field scenes, + that insert song at the end was beautiful

I’ll be interested to see how Chise’s view on her own death changes through the series
Nov 4, 2017 3:47 PM

Apr 2013
Wow. This tragic story of the couple was just amazing. The art as well was absolutely beautiful. I was watching this on my way home from work (on the subway) and I just found myself staring at my phone and nearly missed my stop. This was just so interesting and beautiful.

Nov 4, 2017 3:51 PM

Nov 2008
I thought that was a good episode, but sad of course. Loved the music though

Nov 4, 2017 3:55 PM
Jul 2015
This anime has been great so far, with this episode only making me love it more and more! I feel really sad for Chise, as it seems she is truly starting to enjoy life only to hear that her death will be coming soon. Hopefully that isn't true since I believe she deserves to be happy for decades to come with Elias!
Nov 4, 2017 4:05 PM

Mar 2016
Meh, this week just conveyed stuff to us we already knew but instead of telling us it portrayed it.*
Meh.
Lie until what you want to be true becomes truth. Lie until you can't remember what's a lie and what isn't.  Lie until you aren't lying anymore!
Figures
Nov 4, 2017 4:13 PM

Apr 2015
The scene in the shed was sad and creepy! Those poor Cats =(
Nov 4, 2017 4:20 PM

Nov 2015
Good episode, but I definitely noticed some serious cost-cutting on the animation side of things. It certainly looked like a lower frame rate, and a number of scenes (e.g. when Elias appears out of the thorns) seemed rushed. I'm only noting this because so far it's been a gorgeous show to watch and I really don't want that level of artistry to drop.
Nov 4, 2017 4:38 PM

Jan 2014
That was awesome when Chise did her little speach just before the thorns part but we're still left with basically the same cliffhanger as last episode, in her own words "when am I going to die?"
Nov 4, 2017 4:44 PM

May 2015
Wow, just wow... Both brutal and beautiful describe this episode perfectly.

Nov 4, 2017 4:45 PM

Apr 2016
I think i got a little lost over here, what happened at the end of the episode? did those two were purified? that little Ivalera blew some wind to their faces and everything is alright again, what happened there? one second ago everything was death and despair and later everything is hope and happiness i think i must have forgotten something important.

Nov 4, 2017 4:45 PM
The Komori

Mar 2013
This was even better than the manga version which in itself was amazing when I read way back when.....Good job Wit, good job
Nov 4, 2017 4:52 PM

Jan 2014
VictoryDragon said:
I think i got a little lost over here, what happened at the end of the episode? did those two were purified? that little Ivalera blew some wind to their faces and everything is alright again, what happened there? one second ago everything was death and despair and later everything is hope and happiness i think i must have forgotten something important.

What I took from it was they originally planned for their souls to be erased but with the use of the fairy magic and Chise they managed to send their souls to where ever they would of gone if they had just died normally.
Nov 4, 2017 4:54 PM

Jun 2016
Such a dark episode, I am really enjoying this show. It does such a good job world building in a short amount of time. It seems to rely very heavily on the detailed animation. hopefully the quality doesn't drop over the series

If anything, the series can stand on the soundtrack alone it's that good!

Nov 4, 2017 5:03 PM
Jul 2018
I was in no way ready for her to explode into black goo. That was hella dark
Nov 4, 2017 5:12 PM

Jun 2015
Chise is thankful of Elias for calling her family. He was the first person to value her. The backstory of Matthew and Mina is tragic. That sorcery is a douchebag for using them as some kind of experiment. Matthew's face when Mina turned into goo right in front of his eyes was sad. They got to meet each other at the end. It was so beautiful.
Nov 4, 2017 5:13 PM

Oct 2010
I'm not exactly proud to say this, but I laughed when Mina opened the nekomancy shed, and when the sorcerer said "Oops, he broke."

I like cats (certainly much more than dogs), but I think this story hangs upon the generally reasonable assumption that the viewer either A) values cats' lives considerably more than livestock, or B) is a vegetarian/vegan. I'm neither A nor B; in principle I don't like eating animals, but more than that I'm not willing to give up meat. I'd like to eat cloned meat grown in vats someday. Insects are an ideal, healthy, ecologically superior option, but I feel sorry for them too. :P In Magus' world there is the constructed element that the cats have human-like intelligence, and that makes more of a difference than the fact that they are not pigs.

http://www.onegreenplanet.org/news/proof-pigs-are-probably-smarter-than-our-cats-and-dogs/

This feels like how I quickly guessed through
, which kind of detracted from the impact of the following scenes.

I didn't realize there was supposed to be any mystery regarding the question of whether Matthew was the killer....
Nov 4, 2017 5:28 PM
Jul 2018
That was a dark and brutal episode.

Admittedly, I cheered when the cats killed Matthew.

I cried like a baby when I thought the King was going to die.

I felt bad for Mina (not for Matthew, screw him and the sorcerer).
Nov 4, 2017 5:34 PM
Jul 2018
Looks like my worries were being thrown away thanks to this episode. Such a pretty impactful story, and it actually reflects Chise's character and how her life shouldn't be wasted. Or more or less Chise should value her life more because, life is too short, yet a lot that should be explored.
Nov 4, 2017 6:11 PM
#1 Hitagi Lover

Apr 2014
Fantastic episode imo. We get the backstory of Mina and Matthew and it was very sad to watch. Poor Matthew gets tricked into killing cats all for nothing in the end. At least Chise was able to let them rest in peace together.

Very excited for the next episode.
Nov 4, 2017 7:15 PM

Jul 2015
Oh well that whole captive bit got resolved better and way faster than I expected it too. And despite how dark most of it was, we somehow got a happy ending. This was good.
A Wild and Small Otaku has Appeared!
Nov 4, 2017 8:24 PM

Sep 2017
The undercurrent theme has been foreshadowed again and again and again. I haven't read the manga, but from my experience in symbolism, and as a writer myself, I am expecting big things in the development of this anime.

If you think things are deep now, hold onto your seats...forget about your hats and socks lol. Everything you are seeing now is merely the slow burn to a grand finale. That is, if the writers and producers don't botch things, this may turn out to be a masterpiece.
Nov 4, 2017 8:49 PM

Dec 2013
Matthew went crazy too quickly but overall another strong episode.
Nov 4, 2017 8:56 PM

Mar 2017
Amazing episode again. I thought the sound for this episode in particularly was absolutely beautiful. Definitely cried at the end-- there's something about the adaptation of this anime that makes me more emotional than I usually am...

5/5, Can't wait for next week!
Nov 4, 2017 9:39 PM
Oct 2017
I normally watch this at night before going to bed and now I'm sad. I love kitties D:

Good episode though, I'm glad Chise isn't about that sorcerer bullshit and managed to find a way to save everybody. Elias is always there for her I don't trust these sorcerer guys either =.=
Nov 4, 2017 10:45 PM

Oct 2015
That was a powerful episode, Chise won't be able to live any longer if she use her power too much. Matthew went apeshit :( killing cats isn't gonna save people t.t well at least they have a happy ending at the end. The foreboding is too real though.
Nov 4, 2017 10:56 PM
Jul 2018
I finally understand what's been irking me about this anime.
Everything (aside from some of the fantasy elements) is completely conventional: the art, the character designs, their personalities, the stories. It feels like the creator took a basic formula from classic fantasy children's books, and just followed it to the tea.
Which is especially disappointing for someone like me who's watched so many unconventional anime.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mahoutsukai no Yome Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Mills - Jul 26, 2017

375 by yelansh »»
Mar 30, 2:43 PM

Poll: » Mahoutsukai no Yome Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 23, 2018

266 by NotBonBon »»
Mar 24, 4:30 PM

Poll: » Mahoutsukai no Yome Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 3, 2018

81 by hales_comet »»
Feb 22, 8:24 PM

Poll: » Mahoutsukai no Yome Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

UrbanJahts - Jul 26, 2017

247 by hales_comet »»
Feb 21, 8:09 PM

Poll: » Mahoutsukai no Yome Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 2, 2017

119 by Thaliel »»
Dec 18, 2023 11:34 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.