Forum Settings
Forums
New
Feb 26, 2017 11:30 AM

Jan 2017
The last two episodes of Eva were bad and this movie is supposed to give a acceptable conclusion to the Evangelion series. But is it watchable? The main series had many akward scenes that were really uncomfortabe to watch and it almost triggered seizure on me.

I assume that EoE has better animation, therefore I won't have problems like that? Right?
Feb 26, 2017 11:38 AM

Jan 2016
It have a bit more sense i think but i still didnt understand a thing at the end
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 12, 2017 4:29 AM
Jul 2012
Nope, don't do it.
Mar 13, 2017 4:21 PM
Aug 2011
Do you like Art house endings that are meant to display a pretty picture but makes zero sense in terms of the story? Because that's pretty much what the ending is.

It's more about being art house than having any meaning in terms of the story. If you didn't like the ending of the TV show, this at least gives it actual closure. I'll give it that at least.

That said, it still doesn't really work as an ending.
Red_Ryu12345Mar 13, 2017 4:39 PM
Apr 10, 2017 1:07 AM
Jun 2011
If you don't like rapidly flashing images and disturbing violence, maybe steer clear of this one. There's also some creepy sexual stuff, particularly in the beginning.

It's a fantastic looking movie, and a fantastic movie overall with a great ending, but it's still Eva, and you've gotta have some liking for the first 24 episodes to watch it.

Also 25-26 ain't that bad in the context that there is an ending? I'd say the big reason to watch End of Evangelion is that you haven't truly seen Neon Genesis Evangelion without it. Like, 25-26 just is NOT the ending, and it's dumb to evaluate a show for the fact that 1/13th of it that the creator didn't intend to make is bad. The ending is to be found here. You have not seen the full story.
Apr 10, 2017 2:39 AM

Jul 2009
If that's your opinion on the main series...then I got bad news for you regarding this movie
Jun 22, 2017 3:54 PM

Jun 2012
You shuold be careful if you're photosensitive. There's a particular scene in this movie that could trigger a seizure. It keeps on tumbling down lol...

Though you should definitely watch it. It's a masterful ending (in my opinion).
Jun 24, 2017 10:32 AM

Jan 2017
Sairyuu69 said:
You shuold be careful if you're photosensitive. There's a particular scene in this movie that could trigger a seizure. It keeps on tumbling down lol...

That settles the case. One of the most iconic franchises in existence and I can't even watch the so praised movie. Feelsbadman is an understatement.
Jun 24, 2017 10:45 PM
Feb 2017
evangelion sucks ass
Jun 28, 2017 8:35 AM

Jun 2012
imeli said:
evangelion sucks ass

^topkek

zumac said:
Sairyuu69 said:

That settles the case. One of the most iconic franchises in existence and I can't even watch the so praised movie. Feelsbadman is an understatement.

Yeah I know how you feel. I'd like you to watch it actually cuz it's my favorite series, and the movie is amazing. You should lower the brightness while watching it but if you feel like it's dangerous, I suggest you shouldn't after all.
Be careful if you wish to watch it though.
Jun 28, 2017 8:37 AM

Sep 2009
I mean, it depends on how shallow you are. If it's 3deep5u, then don't watch it.
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Jun 28, 2017 8:58 AM

Sep 2016
lol
Well for future reference it's not meant as substitute to the tv ending. It's complementary in that it shows stuff instead of implying stuff, meaning it'll take less effort from you.
FondenteJun 28, 2017 9:02 AM
Jun 28, 2017 12:25 PM

Jan 2017
I think some of you guys misunderstood something. I asked if it was watchable visually not contentwise.
Jul 5, 2017 9:50 AM

Jun 2011
Well, I don't think this is for you, then.
Numbuh 3, you've got to get off the couch, you cannot sit in that tree house, girl you like Rainbow Monkeys so grab your little shit and then swing!

Hand tracks be tracking me to different doorways. In a maze, and I don't know what to do. Guaranteed though, Ima find the emeralds.
Jul 6, 2017 7:20 AM
Aug 2011
zumac said:
I think some of you guys misunderstood something. I asked if it was watchable visually not contentwise.

It's technically "watchable" but with the imagery going on it's trying way too hard to be a mindfuck.

That was on purpose because Anno got death threats over the ending of the original series so he purposely made this the most incomprehensible thing possible to give them all the middle finger.
Jul 6, 2017 7:52 AM

Apr 2015
zumac said:

Short answer: Yes. It's one of the best looking anime films from then 90's.
"I'd take rampant lesbianism over nuclear armageddon or a supervolcano any day." ~nikiforova
Jul 6, 2017 8:16 AM

Jan 2017
I couldn't even handle ep. 22 of the series which almost triggered seizure on me. From what I've read the movie is in that case even worse. As I already wrote above, I'll pass on this one.

Jul 6, 2017 8:30 AM

Oct 2014
i watched this 4 times already so yeah i definetely think this is watchble
Jul 12, 2017 12:15 AM
Jul 2018
If you gave 6 or below for the first season, then I think the movie is unwatchable.
Jul 12, 2017 12:19 AM

Dec 2014
It's still deep as fuck but I enjoyed the music and the animation a lot. It's a nice experience and you really should watch it. It was ASMR-inducing for me, tbh.
Oct 13, 2017 11:44 PM

Nov 2016
any Evangelion show is watchable, I need more!!
Oct 14, 2017 12:55 AM

Aug 2017
Yes, it's one of the greatest conclusions to any piece of media ever made
Oct 27, 2017 2:04 PM

Sep 2017
Red_Ryu12345 said:
Do you like Art house endings that are meant to display a pretty picture but makes zero sense in terms of the story? Because that's pretty much what the ending is.

It's more about being art house than having any meaning in terms of the story. If you didn't like the ending of the TV show, this at least gives it actual closure. I'll give it that at least.

> "unlikable unrealistic characters with pretentious philosophy bullshit"
> fucking Digimon : 10/10

your opinion on the subject is invalid
Oct 29, 2017 11:01 AM
Aug 2011
SuperDickKong69 said:
Red_Ryu12345 said:

Such edge.
I think Some seasons of digimon are fantastic but Evangelion sucks.
Try me.
Oct 29, 2017 1:20 PM

Sep 2017
Red_Ryu12345 said:
SuperDickKong69 said:

Such edge.
Try me.

> digimon
> fantastic

pick one dude
Oct 29, 2017 1:35 PM

Jul 2014
Red_Ryu12345 said:
. If you didn't like the ending of the TV show, this at least gives it actual closure. I'll give it that at least.

The TV ending did provide closure to Shinji's character arc, which was the crux of the narrative.
Take care of yourself

Oct 30, 2017 8:18 AM
Aug 2011
SuperDickKong69 said:
Red_Ryu12345 said:

Such edge.
Try me.

> digimon
> fantastic

pick one dude

Why not both.

ThatRazorGuy said:
Red_Ryu12345 said:
. If you didn't like the ending of the TV show, this at least gives it actual closure. I'll give it that at least.

The TV ending did provide closure to Shinji's character arc, which was the crux of the narrative.

But the story and everything else is thrown out the window and never answered until the movie. Which is the major problem everyone has with the ending of the TV series.
Oct 30, 2017 8:52 AM

Jul 2014
Red_Ryu12345 said:

ThatRazorGuy said:

But the story and everything else is thrown out the window and never answered until the movie. Which is the major problem everyone has with the ending of the TV series.

Admittedly key plot points are left unexplained in the TV ending (the origin of the angels, the specifics of Gendo's plan etc) and that is certainly a valid criticism, but it is indicated through verbal exposition as well as the onscreen text that SEELE has brought about Instrumentality (something the show had been building up to since the second episode) and is very clear as to what it entails (the merging of consciousnesses). To me, TV and EoE go hand in hand very well as the former deals with Instrumentality itself in a great amount of detail while the latter shows the viewer what lead up to it as well as what happens afterwards.
Take care of yourself

Oct 30, 2017 12:07 PM
Aug 2011
ThatRazorGuy said:
Red_Ryu12345 said:

Admittedly key plot points are left unexplained in the TV ending (the origin of the angels, the specifics of Gendo's plan etc) and that is certainly a valid criticism, but it is indicated through verbal exposition as well as the onscreen text that SEELE has brought about Instrumentality (something the show had been building up to since the second episode) and is very clear as to what it entails (the merging of consciousnesses). To me, TV and EoE go hand in hand very well as the former deals with Instrumentality itself in a great amount of detail while the latter shows the viewer what lead up to it as well as what happens afterwards.

I don't think the TV series ending really answer much and even then the build up to Shinji "wanting to live in this world" is really just a snap of the fingers fast.

I get why they did what they did since a combination of the subway attack, Sega pulling out at episode 18, gainax budge issue, I've heard anno also miss handled the budget as well not no real confirmation on that and given the other stuff around it I'm not sure it is fair to put it on him outside of the episode 18 stuff that is on him.

Regardless of that, EoE is a better ending for the series for giving an actual conclusion overall, even if I still hate it along with the TV series. TV series doesn't give it a proper ending.
Nov 3, 2017 10:07 AM

Oct 2017
Dont do it, this is even worse than the series (tries so hard to be D E E P) and Shinji is still a bitch. Also NGE fans are pretentious as fuck.
Aardwolf94Nov 3, 2017 10:10 AM
May 19, 2018 1:42 AM

Feb 2016
I really enjoyed the TV series but this movie was just fucking awful. A shame really
May 23, 2018 8:26 PM

Jun 2009
The manga is just as excellent, I wish I'd seen this thread back when it was first made because I definitely recommend the manga.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Aug 9, 2018 9:41 PM

Apr 2018
The movie has more closure to what ""truly"" happened during the end of the series compared to episodes 25 and 26 but if you hated those episodes I'm not really sure if the movie is going to satisfy you at all either.
✧・゚:* space is the place *:・゚✧

Aug 9, 2018 9:42 PM

Apr 2018
btw movie is awesome really awesome the best
✧・゚:* space is the place *:・゚✧

Sep 12, 2018 10:00 AM

Nov 2013
Some replies to this thread gave me sad.
You all need to watch Nami.

Sep 12, 2018 10:44 AM

Aug 2018
abystoma2 said:
Some replies to this thread gave me sad.

I'd say 'they gave me cancer'.

Is End of Evangelion watchable? Well of course it is. It looks stunning, even for today standarts. It provides a COMPLEMENTARY ending to the tv show. But I only recommend End of Eva if you liked the anime. If you found the characters to be annoying or unrealistic (lol idk how anyone can, maybe annoying but definately not unrealistic), because that is the problem with Evangelion for everyone, then, you should avoid it, because it is not the typical happy ending you'd like to see for satisfying that aesthetic movement. Even if the final scene gives a positive message to the viewer, some will keep saying 'shinji just a pussy' or those kind of things.

I definately recommend End of Evangelion (if you liked the anime) because, love it or hate it, is a masterpiece of a movie in all the possible ways.
Sep 12, 2018 11:17 AM

Nov 2013
I'd say it's one of the best movies ever made. In general, not just anime.
You all need to watch Nami.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Do you think Shinji is irredeemable?

TASM18 - Apr 15

18 by Daddi4900 »»
6 hours ago

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion - The End of Evangelion Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Zerachroma - Jun 13, 2008

533 by rengoku09_ »»
Apr 1, 5:57 AM

» should i watch this movie instead of 25-26 or should i watch 25-26 or should i watch 25-26 and the movie

CRG - Aug 21, 2023

44 by Invisible_King »»
Mar 20, 1:27 PM

» There's nothing romantic about Asuka and Shinji

Sanjay63773 - Oct 26, 2022

37 by LoveLikeBlood »»
Mar 17, 1:01 PM

» how to watch?

misasdeathnote0 - Dec 19, 2023

18 by KitsuFrost »»
Dec 28, 2023 4:01 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.