Forum Settings
Forums

Upcoming TV Anime 'Violet Evergarden' Announces More Cast and Staff Members

New
Oct 23, 2017 4:24 AM

Nov 2007

The official website has announced additional staff and cast members for the upcoming Violet Evergarden TV anime. In addition, it also revealed the title and performer of the ending theme song. The anime will broadcast in Japan in Winter 2018 via ABC Asahi Housou, Tokyo MX, TV Aichi, HTB Hokkaido TV and BS11. Netflix will also make the series available starting Spring 2018.

Cast
Erica Brown: Minori Chihara
Iris Cannary: Haruka Tomatsu (Sword Art Online)

Staff
Series Direction: Haruka Fujita (Hibike! Euphonium 2 storyboard)
World View Setting: Takaaki Suzuki (Digimon Adventure tri. 1: Saikai script)
Art Director: Mikiko Watanabe (Kobayashi-san Chi no Maid Dragon)
Color Setting: Yuka Yoneda (High☆Speed!: Free! Starting Days color design)
Director of Photography: Kouhei Funamoto (Violet Evergarden CM and PV 2 director of photography)
3D Director: Rin Yamamoto (Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai! director of photography)
Little Goods Setting: Hiroyuki Takahashi (Hibike! Euphonium 2 instrument setting), Minoru Ooda
Editing: Keigo Shigemura (Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai!)
Music Producer: Shigeru Saitou
Music: Evan Call (Jikan no Shihaisha)
Ending Theme Song: "Michishirube" by Minori Chihara (Kyoukai no Kanata)
Music Production: Lantis

PV 3

Source: Official site
Sakana-sanDec 15, 2017 8:09 AM
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Oct 23, 2017 4:46 AM

Jun 2008
This anime sure is taking it's sweet time...
Oct 23, 2017 4:51 AM

Dec 2015
Chibi-Alice said:
This anime sure is taking it's sweet time...
At least we know that KyoAni will reward us with some stellar animation for all this wait.
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Oct 23, 2017 4:55 AM

Dec 2015
tsubasalover said:
joe_g7 said:
Wait, what what what??? Netflix is simulcasting
It's not simulcasting because it will air on Japan TV on Winter 2018 and Netflix will start Spring 2018.
Yeah I noticed that a little late, thank u...
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Oct 23, 2017 5:04 AM

Apr 2015
Since netflix got this does that mean it'll get a dub? The setting and names just scream english dub tbh
Oct 23, 2017 5:12 AM

Jun 2008
Netflix

Fuck, no 2 hours subs
Oct 23, 2017 5:24 AM

Feb 2014
Raz1515 said:
Since netflix got this does that mean it'll get a dub? The setting and names just scream english dub tbh

As far as I know, most shows that Netflix get will have an English Dub option at some point. Shows like Little Witch Academia and Kuromukuro come to mind of getting a dub not long after the shows finished their respective Japanese T.V Airing time.
Oct 23, 2017 5:31 AM
Jan 2016
That musical score was beautiful. Really made me chill. Still worried about the director & the screenwriter though. I really cannot shake the feeling this will be another visually excellent anime with mediocre direction & writing from KyoAni. Do not let me down, KyoAni.

Raz1515 said:
The setting and names just scream english dub tbh

I agree. An English dub would be fitting.
Oct 23, 2017 5:55 AM

May 2012
English dub sucks. Always watch anime with original voices

Also, noting can beat Dio and Mikasa voice actors
Oct 23, 2017 6:10 AM
May 2015
thepath said:

A show that takes place in Britain (?) and everyone is speaking Japanese. Smh..... I'll watch this in both version but English Dub is preferable at this case. Not everyone is a goddamn weeaboo like you.

Oct 23, 2017 6:10 AM

Jul 2014
I hope they prove me wrong that this'll be an all-style-no-substance fest overcompensating / apologizing for the string of pedestrian shows they've made after Hyouka (Hibike was slightly alright)

I sure want to like KyoAni again one day.

jc9622 said:
thepath said:

A show that takes place in Britain (?) and everyone is speaking Japanese. Smh..... I'll watch this in both version but English Dub is preferable at this case. Not everyone is a goddamn weeaboo like you.

Beats Japanese VAs speaking Engrish. RE: that godsawful moe show 8-bit Tensho did which made me smash my keyboard 5 minutes in

Edit: Kiniro Mosaic
Red_TuesdayOct 23, 2017 6:14 AM
Oct 23, 2017 6:33 AM

Oct 2016
jc9622 said:
thepath said:

Its the most fitting but most of the time the Dubs are really really bad compared to the Original, if its Good then I guess Ill rewatch with dub as well.

I dont mind some of the Voice Actors from The Legend of Korra And Dragon Ball to Dub this, I think it will work perfect.
Oct 23, 2017 6:42 AM

Feb 2011
I legit think this anime will have the best animation this industry has to offer.
Oct 23, 2017 7:06 AM

Nov 2007
Absolutely stunning and gorgeous and breathtaking and masterful. TV anime will be taken to a whole new level!

Don't have any plans to wait for Netflix because I have other ways to watch it! :)
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Oct 23, 2017 7:24 AM

Jan 2008
After seeing DxD is getting butchered, I'm glad that this show exist. Those animations are really something you don't see in your anime these days.
Oct 23, 2017 7:50 AM
Jul 2018
This is the type of stuff that I want to see once in a while. And because of the setting and so far with the PVs showcasing, I think this will really be nice to watch.

Since it's Netflix It means it'll take a while for some sub group to take it (because they usually have shit releases of course, and that kills).
Oct 23, 2017 7:56 AM

Apr 2017
Glad Kyoto animation is animating this one, but still I like that Netflix is putting their money into anime, I just hate sh*t isn't simulcasted, like why do I have to wait 3 months for this one... and most likely I ain't even going to be able to watch this one, just like Kakegurui... isn't on Netflix in my country.. like what the hell. I again have to turn to piracy it is stupid.
Oct 23, 2017 8:01 AM
Jul 2018
Red_Tuesday said:
I hope they prove me wrong that this'll be an all-style-no-substance fest overcompensating / apologizing for the string of pedestrian shows they've made after Hyouka (Hibike was slightly alright)

Not a show, but A Silent Voice was very good
Oct 23, 2017 8:08 AM

Apr 2015
Does this mean netflix will release it weekly in spring or all at once? 
Oct 23, 2017 8:12 AM

Aug 2017
Let me tell everyone of you that your about to go for a hell of a ride on this one! I've read the LN (Sadly), And the story really shined through the whole 2 volumes for me, With this animation and the beautiful OST's + Voice actors (As much we have been shown) are truly phenomenal, Just goes with the story and the theme so beautifully! Just the thing I wanted after reading the LN.
Oct 23, 2017 8:14 AM

Aug 2017
Hatsuyuki said:
I legit think this anime will have the best animation this industry has to offer.
The trailers for me has already surpassed any anime animation I've seen till date.
Oct 23, 2017 8:19 AM
Jul 2018
RasenTenshou said:
Red_Tuesday said:

Not a show, but A Silent Voice was very good

^ I agree with this, A Silent Voice was very good. Not only that, but this is just my personal taste but I also thought for example Amagi was a fun watch. Not a great show, but it was fun nonetheless

And also Kobayashi's Maid Dragon which was their best work recently in all honesty. Sure, it doesn't have depth nor anything, but it was very good for a Slice of Life / Comedy show.
Oct 23, 2017 8:24 AM

Nov 2007
If anyone's interested, I have translated the PV and you can find it below in MAL:

MyAnimeList>Anime>Violet Evergarden>Promotional Video 3

I am so hyped for this.
Coronavirus.
Oct 23, 2017 8:34 AM
Jul 2018
shanimebib said:
If anyone's interested, I have translated the PV and you can find it below in MAL:

I am so hyped for this.

Doing Kami-sama's Work. Same here, but don't want to let down bc of the hype though
Oct 23, 2017 8:56 AM

Nov 2007
RasenTenshou said:
shanimebib said:

I am so hyped for this.

Doing Kami-sama's Work. Same here, but don't want to let down bc of the hype though

I don't think I would be let down. I mean the spectacular art and animation, the beautiful music and of course, Violet's journey towards knowing the meaning of love, it cannot go wrong for me. :)
Coronavirus.
Oct 23, 2017 9:04 AM
Jul 2015
This anime seems interesting. I will wait for this anime release.
Oct 23, 2017 9:24 AM

May 2015
jc9622 said:
thepath said:

No, I guarantee the Sub will be better.

Oct 23, 2017 10:44 AM

Aug 2013
PV looks so beautiful! Even if the story ends up falling flat, I'll at least watch for aesthetics (but also because I personally love KyoAni's "active cuteness" style so I'd watch any of their shows). Also excited about Minori Chihara ED.
Oct 23, 2017 10:44 AM

Jan 2017
the art and animation are spectacular. hopefully the story will be amazing too.
Oct 23, 2017 12:26 PM
Aug 2015
The PV is indeed beautilful but the color using is not the best I've seen. I think it's a matter of taste but I think animes like Shingeki no Kyojin and Katsugeki/Touken Ranbu have better visuals than what we can see on this PV. It's sad they didn't use the same colouring as the one on the very first PV (those of the novels).

Visuals aside, the music sounds great and fitting for this kind of anime. But not Ishikawa's voice for Violet. I usually prefer Japanese voice over dub but I've read the novel in English, and I didn't expect that voice for Violet character...

But I'm afraid that it won't be as good as the novel. Especially since they decided to add two characters (Erica and Iris) who don't even appear in the novel. Smell of build up episodes (and I usually don't like it).

Well, we'll see. =)
Oct 23, 2017 3:37 PM

Jan 2016
Whoaa, this winter will be a great season :D
Oct 23, 2017 5:15 PM

Dec 2014
I can't wait for this anime, I can't remember the last time I was so hyped for something.
Oct 23, 2017 5:44 PM

May 2017
I don't think I've been this hyped for an anime in a looong time
Oct 23, 2017 8:31 PM

Nov 2007
I see some interesting comments above. Well, they can release English dubs but I would gladly stick with original Japanese voice acting because I prefer it that way, regardless of the apparent settings. Some people would probably prefer to watch Magi in Arabic, Monster in German, Akatsuki no Yona in Korean etc. etc. but I am gonna stick with Japanese no matter what the settings may be. I am never gonna trade Isaac and Miria's Japanese voices from Baccano! with any other language for example!

As for Violet Evergarden, nothing about the settings say that they are supposed to speak in English. The last time I checked, the letters used are not even Roman letters let alone English.

As for the names of the characters, they are a mixture of European names. I often find it funny when I need to explain the fact that 90% of the quarter of a billion people in Europe speak languages other than English. The only common thing about the names is that the Auto Memory Dolls have their names taken from flowers (Cattleya, Erica, Iris and Violet).
Coronavirus.
Oct 23, 2017 9:31 PM
Jul 2018
KyoAni is always a feast for the eyes, glad to see my fav studio back in business.
Now if only they could release it faster....
Oct 24, 2017 3:24 AM

Dec 2014
shanimebib said:
I see some interesting comments above. Well, they can release English dubs but I would gladly stick with original Japanese voice acting because I prefer it that way, regardless of the apparent settings. Some people would probably prefer to watch Magi in Arabic, Monster in German, Akatsuki no Yona in Korean etc. etc. but I am gonna stick with Japanese no matter what the settings may be. I am never gonna trade Isaac and Miria's Japanese voices from Baccano! with any other language for example!

As for Violet Evergarden, nothing about the settings say that they are supposed to speak in English. The last time I checked, the letters used are not even Roman letters let alone English.

As for the names of the characters, they are a mixture of European names. I often find it funny when I need to explain the fact that 90% of the quarter of a billion people in Europe speak languages other than English. The only common thing about the names is that the Auto Memory Dolls have their names taken from flowers (Cattleya, Erica, Iris and Violet).

Honestly, one of the reasons why this anime is getting so much hype, is the voice acting in it. It's truely phenomenal, I have no idea why anyone that watches anime on a regular basis, would want to watch english dub. It's very poorly made most of the time, and 95% of the time it's just incomparable to the japanese dub. The amount of emotion that's put into it, makes it just seem so realistic, while watching english dub, I personally feel like I'm watching more of a cartoon, than an anime. No thought is put into the words, or the meaning behind them. They are just read and that's that. (Most of the time, not always.)
Oct 25, 2017 12:43 AM

Apr 2016
Can't wait until i be able to watch it in January!
Nov 11, 2017 8:23 AM
Sep 2017
I thought that Violet is Shouko's lost twin sister (becuase of their faces), but actually is not, because violet is voiced by Mikasa Ackerman, while shouko is voiced by Hayamin

That's it !
Nov 15, 2017 5:05 AM

Nov 2007
First 3 eps. will be pre-screened at 5 different places of Japan on December 10, 2017
http://violet-evergarden.jp/news/?id=9
Nov 15, 2017 9:50 AM

Jul 2014
shanimebib said:

Well that typewriter has a mash-up of different alphabet inspirations/ imitations on it, but interestingly enough most of them are most alike Norse runes. (And one of them is a legit rune) Doubt that means anything though, it's a victorian fantasy setting regardless.
Dec 11, 2017 4:16 AM

Nov 2007
New key visual and PV
http://violet-evergarden.jp/news/?id=13

Airing Wednesdays starts January 10 (11th 0:00 a.m.) via Tokyo MX, TV Aichi, ABC Asahi Housou, BS11, and HTB Hokkaido TV.
http://violet-evergarden.jp/onair/
tsubasaloverDec 15, 2017 5:43 PM
Feb 2, 2018 9:34 PM

Nov 2007
5 min. recap video of first 4 eps.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLQs_wqFR18

More topics from this board

» 'Code Geass: Dakkan no Rozé' Announces Additional Cast

DatRandomDude - Apr 10

15 by RobertBobert »»
Yesterday, 1:39 AM

» 'Fruits Basket' Creator Launches New Manga

Hyperion_PS - Sep 2, 2023

20 by KeyboardBunny »»
Apr 14, 8:04 AM

» 'Kijin Gentoushou' Reveals Main Cast, Staff, Teaser Promo, Summer 2024 Premiere

DatRandomDude - Feb 22

6 by JackAward »»
Apr 13, 1:07 PM

» Voice Actress Mutsumi Tamura Announces Marriage

Hyperion_PS - Apr 1

15 by CrackedYolk »»
Apr 12, 10:50 PM

» Spring 2024 Simulcast List [Update 4/10]

Snow - Apr 5

23 by infanf »»
Apr 12, 2:32 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.