Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
May 31, 2014 2:46 AM

May 2014
I dont get a part of the ending:

SOO Shiro is still in a prison after the coma ? So she can't be free after all ? I think behind the bars again is even worse for her than death.
RaidenHUNMay 31, 2014 3:00 AM
Jun 3, 2014 5:40 PM

Nov 2012
This ending was alright even if kinda cliche, as for the rest of the manga, I dunno, I feel like there were some things I didn't read properly or I missed some of the messages it was trying to convey. I think I will need to reread this more slowly in the future. As for now it's a 7/10, I liked it especially the art.
Oct 2, 2014 4:33 PM

Mar 2008
RaidenHUN said:

SOO Shiro is still in a prison after the coma ? So she can't be free after all ? I think behind the bars again is even worse for her than death.

Well she did kill a lot of people. No matter the circumstances her actions killed thousands if not millions. I'm pretty sure Japan isn't going to just ignore that.

Sure she could bust out if she wanted to, but then she can live as a fugitive. At least she gets to stay alive and spend time with the person she loves. That's more than a lot of characters got out of this story.
Oct 8, 2014 2:41 AM
Oct 2014
I saw a picture of Shiro last night and now I'm done with the manga. And in fact I was so interested I made an account here just to post this. Despite the Necro I still do want to hear if anyone still have anything left unsaid about this manga.

RaidenHUN said:

So first this part I do feel is a bit unfortunate. But you have to consider this is a really dark manga. The author gave it a sushine everywhere kind of ending, which didn't quite feel right. Though I personally love a happy ending it would just seem too out of character for the author to end completely perfect.

Also having Shiro in prison isn't as bad as it may seem. A big part of her misfortune was her loneliness, but now that they're both alive and conscious they will no doubt spend a lot of their time together even if it's within bars.

Moreover if you really want to go nuts on this, Crow still have his power, breaking her out of that prison will be easier than teaching Shiro how to cook.

So overall prison or not, it's pretty much a completely happy ending, since every possible good thing that can happen happened, while the least significant bad thing happened that can easily be "fixed" in an limitless number of ways.

Personally i give it a 10/10. I love cute crazy chicks. Minatsuki is also extremely loveable.

Woot I feel much better about the prison thing now that I can verbalize it in words. I am a sucker for happy endings.
Oct 22, 2014 1:59 PM

Jan 2014
Amazing Ending <3

AWESOME STORY
Oct 28, 2014 10:05 AM

Jun 2014
I was a bit worried that Shiro will never wake up
T^T dammit eyes
Dec 29, 2014 2:23 AM
▬▬ι═══════ﺤ

Feb 2012
I always enjoy afterwords for series with plenty of likable characters. Kinda nice.
"There is nothing outside of yourself that enables you to get better. Everything is within. Seek nothing outside of yourself." ⛩️

Jan 31, 2015 10:49 PM

Mar 2012
This was quite the great journey. The heartwarming ending has been truly earned and well deserved.
Feb 16, 2015 6:06 PM
Jun 2013
Damn, Shiro went through so much. Great ending for a great manga. 10/10

Jun 9, 2015 7:21 PM

Jun 2014
is Shiro trolling Ganta? She just suddenly woke up after Ganta leaves the hospital. lol

6.5/10
Jul 10, 2015 6:49 AM

May 2011
And there we go, finished vol. 13, it was short yet entertaining journey, I think the ending is so good considering how dark the series is, I was hopping Ganta doesn't kill Shiro and that what happened, that was traumatizing me throughout the entire series, it was just wrong if they try to actually kill each other, we got that, and lots of cool stuff like what's happening with the other deadmen, their daily routine. Ganta was so cheerful unlike him, he used to be sad all the time, yet he looks in good shape, I was afraid he would not get used to normal life giving the fact his life turned upside down.

I'll give this series 7 out of 10 since it is really short and felt like a rush, maybe because I read it in 3 days, I should've slowed down a little bit, I was planning on reading a vol. per day, I read like 6 today lol, We don't have lots of characters, only the main 2 characters; Ganta and Shiro, I couldn't feel the presence of the other characters apart from Crow, the rest were just unimportant to me, like seriously we only got to see some of their backstories near the end.

Looking forward to Kataoka Jinsei's next Manga.
Sep 6, 2015 1:33 AM

Apr 2014
Not a bad manga but not a masterpiece either. 7/10
your waifu is shit
Oct 15, 2015 1:46 PM

Jan 2013
That was a great ending. Those fucking lines are great.
When they asked about the ending of the song I cried...
Glad to know what happened to the other characters.

9/10
Feb 10, 2016 2:07 PM

Aug 2011
I liked the ending and I really enjoyed the whole manga...
8/10
Mar 20, 2016 7:53 AM
Mar 2016
This is one of the many examples of how to end a series right. It tied up all lose ends while give the characters a content ending without it feeling mushy or cheesy. My only question is how did shiro end up getting so badly hurt? And how is Ganta not as badly hurt as she is? Idk it could be right in front of me but I just can't figure it out
May 13, 2016 10:20 AM
May 2016
Just finished this. It was a great Manga, the ending I needed some time to think about, but I think its a good one. I liked seeing everyone, even though Crow was really the only character to make an impression besides Toto and his "sister".

What I haven't seen on this thread is the fact that Ganta lost is branch of sin, since he was the "cure" I can only assume Shiro did too, maybe that is why she is in the Coma. She was kind of grown around the nanomachines and their abilities. So I guess if you take them away her regeneration wouldn't work, and the battle with Ganta damaged both of them.

It is open ended, which leaves room for the imagination which is always ... a catch 22. I want to know more, but I think if they gave more it would have ruined the series.
Jul 22, 2016 3:48 PM
Apr 2014
Poor Shiro got the bad end of the stick. But it's probably the best way the manga could have ended at that point. There was no way Shiro could just get away with everything like nothing happened, and there was no way Ganta would have let that happen either. They both have to share their burden forever. But Shiro is still the most unfortunate one. The ending is drawn so that we won't think too much of the unfortunate implications of this setting, but it's ok, nobody was expecting a happy ending anyway; it just wouldn't have fit.
Jul 22, 2016 10:58 PM

Mar 2012
thelumpur said:
Poor Shiro got the bad end of the stick. But it's probably the best way the manga could have ended at that point. There was no way Shiro could just get away with everything like nothing happened, and there was no way Ganta would have let that happen either. They both have to share their burden forever. But Shiro is still the most unfortunate one. The ending is drawn so that we won't think too much of the unfortunate implications of this setting, but it's ok, nobody was expecting a happy ending anyway; it just wouldn't have fit.

It's pretty much a happy ending in all respects. The prison is something that can be easily fixed: they're super-humans, after all.
Aug 12, 2016 6:24 AM
Apr 2014
Orvieto said:
thelumpur said:

It's pretty much a happy ending in all respects. The prison is something that can be easily fixed: they're super-humans, after all.

It's a story of guilt and redemption, breaking out of prison would make absolutely no sense for Shiro; as I said Ganta wouldn't let it happen.
Sep 29, 2016 4:13 AM

Jan 2013
Damn, what an ending, Shiro is in prison (in a coma? - probably sedated)
It was nice seeing how everyone moved on after the events, Minatsuki going to school :D

Deadman Wonderland was actually the reason I started reading manga as I was really unsatisfied with how the anime just ended (which is fair considering the sales)
It wasn't the clearest on some points as we didn't know a few things untill later on but it was a really good story.
The fights were amazing, the gore was just right, I could feel the relationship between Shiro and Ganta just by reading.

So I'm guessing Shiro woke up from the coma, probably just to tease an open ending.

Shiro is one of my favourite characters still, started from the anime and still favourite after the manga.

9/10
Oct 24, 2016 1:26 PM

Jan 2016
Those scars looks badass on Ganta
Just wish there was another chapter or something like that with a reunion now that all of them have normal lives and so

and how does the song goes on huh? HOW DOES THE SONG GOES ON?!
Apr 21, 2017 6:45 PM

Jan 2014
That smile.

Really liked the ending. Glad everyone's living a normal life now.

Overall it was a really enjoyable manga.
Aug 30, 2017 6:11 PM

Mar 2017
Thought I'd never say this, but for once I think I enjoyed the anime more than the manga. I like how more detailed the manga got but I enjoyed the ride with the anime.

I really wanted both of the to die, it just made sense that way, instead of being cliché.

So good to see the other characters found themselves once again.

Deadman Wonderland still has to be one of my top favorite mangas.

The author is brilliant, Smokin' Parade is even more of a thrill read.
Oct 19, 2017 7:22 PM

Jun 2010
The one thing I hated was the fact that even while leaving Shiro and Ganta's ending open and ambiguous (which is bad enough, being such an overused and terrible way to end a story to begin with) They had to throw in the fact that there are bars on her room's window without explaining anything more! Meaning that it could very well be that she may not actually be free now. Even though it's probably just a precaution because of the fact that she hasn't been awake yet and they don't know how she'll react and such.. But still, did they really have to show that if they were going to leave it open?

The only thing worse is that people seem ok with this because of "everything she's done." It's like, WTF? did you people even read the same story as I did? And we're talking about a little girl here, a child!

The only person who needs to be forgiven, and arguably maybe should be.. Is Ganta's mother. She was basically "saved" from the dark side through all that happened. She started out as pretty much a full on monster like Hagire, but gained back her humanity and conscience because of this.. starting with giving birth to her child and ending with Shiro. Though it is kind of hard for me to forgive her for doing that to her son (and shiro), by killing herself, even if it was to try to help Shiro. I always feel that way when this type of issue/story point comes up. mothers killing themselves, even for what seem like good reasons. (But at least it's not as bad or as extreme as shinji ikari's mother's "plan"... just wtf at that.. :'( *puke* )

natsucule said:
Still can't get over that girl (which I totally forgot her name's death) but I still feel the best way to end was a double kill. I mean all the things ''Shirou'' did, all the suffering she brought upon the other characters and Ganta's friends death can't be forgiven by just being in a coma then opening your eyes in the last page, and since it was Ganta's fault to begin with that all these things happened, it would make sense that he die with her, that way they can be together and atone for their sins.

It can easily be forgiven, and has been pretty clearly, with everything that's happened. And if you really want to get into it, there's nothing that either needs to be forgiven for. A death ending for either or both of them wouldn't only have been horrible and stupid, but pointless as well.

Wait, what is Ganta's fault?? O_o

FlareKnight said:
RaidenHUN said:

Well she did kill a lot of people. No matter the circumstances her actions killed thousands if not millions. I'm pretty sure Japan isn't going to just ignore that.

Sure she could bust out if she wanted to, but then she can live as a fugitive. At least she gets to stay alive and spend time with the person she loves. That's more than a lot of characters got out of this story.

thelumpur said:

Get away,... get away with WHAT?! She was a small child, raised from infancy as a LAB EXPERIMENT! Her whole life has been nothing but pain worse than what most people would call sever torture, more than it would take to kill a normal person! She had no family, lost her only friend, as well as the woman who was like a mother to her.. At one point SHE WAS DISSECTED piece by piece while FULLY CONSCIOUS! Plus, on top of all that, and the only thing that really matters here, she was and still IS a child! Now to be fair, it's probably only temporary though. As for Ganta "not letting her get away" I have to ask again, get away with what? I really don't think he would give a shit anyway at this point. (not with her and everything he knows now at the very least)

And you know.. I don't see people saying this about all the other chars that "got away." pretty much everyone had blood on their hands here.

A happy ending is pretty much the only thing that fit here.. With the horrors they all went through..

LunarPisces1 said:
Thought I'd never say this, but for once I think I enjoyed the anime more than the manga. I like how more detailed the manga got but I enjoyed the ride with the anime.

I really wanted both of the to die, it just made sense that way, instead of being cliché.

So good to see the other characters found themselves once again.

Deadman Wonderland still has to be one of my top favorite mangas.

The author is brilliant, Smokin' Parade is even more of a thrill read.

Calling something cliché is such an overused thing. Not to mention cliché =/= makes less sense. Nor is a happy ending such in the first place! (people don't even understand the term) I mean, I can't even... why would anyone want an ending like that ever anyway, let alone in a series like this.. with what all the chars went through!
Oct 26, 2017 10:03 AM
Apr 2014
James_xeno said:

thelumpur said:

Get away,... get away with WHAT?! She was a small child, raised from infancy as a LAB EXPERIMENT! Her whole life has been nothing but pain worse than what most people would call sever torture, more than it would take to kill a normal person! She had no family, lost her only friend, as well as the woman who was like a mother to her.. At one point SHE WAS DISSECTED piece by piece while FULLY CONSCIOUS! Plus, on top of all that, and the only thing that really matters here, she was and still IS a child! Now to be fair, it's probably only temporary though. As for Ganta "not letting her get away" I have to ask again, get away with what? I really don't think he would give a shit anyway at this point. (not with her and everything he knows now at the very least)

And you know.. I don't see people saying this about all the other chars that "got away." pretty much everyone had blood on their hands here.

A happy ending is pretty much the only thing that fit here.. With the horrors they all went through..

Ganta gave a shit, actually. He said it himself, he said that he completely understood what she went through, and that he basically loves her, but still can't forgive her for what she did, and can't forgive himself at the same time. We know that she is a sympathetic character who didn't deserve any of this, but she still has to face her responsibilities. For example, would a parent of a child she killed be just fine with her being free? The idea here for me is that, no matter what your circumstances are, you still own your actions and choices, and you have to live with their consequences.

While I am a huge fan of happy endings, I am an even bigger fan of endings that fit with the overall theme of the story, whether they're tragic or not. And this one did.
Dec 5, 2017 1:54 PM

Mar 2016
I liked the manga a lot. Took me ages to finish though. The ending was great, and the anime should have continued!!! Still waiting for that sequel.
May 10, 2018 4:51 AM

Aug 2017
It's been a while since I've read such a nice manga.

I didn't agree with all of the events that happened, but the story had me on the edge of my seat, and I enjoyed reading Ganta and Shiro's story. Lovely character development. Good resolution of the plot, and a satisfying ending.

Glad to have read this.
"There's no shame in falling down... true shame is to not stand up again!"
Mar 22, 2019 8:02 PM

Mar 2012
thelumpur said:
Orvieto said:

It's a story of guilt and redemption, breaking out of prison would make absolutely no sense for Shiro; as I said Ganta wouldn't let it happen.

Ganta would've wanted Shiro to see the sun, she's been stuck in a cell her whole life, it would absolutely make sense, and I'm sure that's the eventual outcome if she isn't released within a year or so. It's pretty much a happy ending in all respects.
OrvietoMar 22, 2019 8:14 PM
Apr 21, 2019 4:14 PM

May 2010
Gotta admit, that wasn't a satisfying ending to me. Expected something more bitter-sweet. Not that I would be instantly in love with it, if everyone just died, but the way it ended left no real impression on me :x

Overall it was an okay read, nothing special. Easily the best thing about this manga is the artstyle - it's beautiful, character-designs are great (not counting MC, for some weird reason he looks like shit), and the volume covers/color pages inside are a real piece of art. Shiro is just hnnng~, such a cutie!

Sadly, the plot was like from any other mediocre shounen, just filled with more blood, gore, and weird, edgy themes. Nothing impactful or meaningful. The setting itself was hard to accept as "possible", but that's one thing - after the last chapter I'm supposed to believe that within just a few years people started doubting what DW's real purpose was, or that they forgot it was even a thing? Sure xD There are SOME limits to my suspension of disbelief, even in sci-fi manga like this one.

I guess reading it wasn't a waste of time or anything, I just wish I enjoyed it a bit more. Still, I totally love Shiro, she deserves better story! 6/10
Jun 20, 2019 11:32 AM

Jun 2017
So we get a happy ending. Not that I complain as I am a fan of happy endings. But this makes their battle with all the build up pointless. Shiro wanted Ganta to kill her, but she was attacking him too. That didn't make sense.
There were way too many over the top characters and I could not take some of them seriously. This was a shounen series with most of the clichés executed poorly. The blood is just a bait to make it look like a mature show.
I came to read this due to the anime leaving things off and knew what to expect. The story pretty much goes along the same route as established initially. But I still think anime was better because the action scenes in this manga are hard to follow. The chapters near the end of the manga improved in storytelling and I liked the backstory of Shiro more than - say, Guilty crown's characters. Overall 5/10.
Jan 26, 2020 4:31 AM

May 2016
I wouldn't say that this ending didn't feel a bit sudden but I'm really glad to see that everyone who survived got a happy ending. Even Shiro woke up from her coma at the end there!

They all got the freedom they so desperately fought for and the whole Deadman business was surprisingly all but forgotten. It's not a masterpiece but this was a decent read~

Jul 31, 2020 11:55 AM
Mar 2019
Shiro woke up!! I want to see a spin-off or a short comic where Shiro and Ganta meet! Hang out, date, anything!!
Sep 27, 2020 9:45 AM

Oct 2017
Ehhh 7, i've been feeling a 7 for a while now from around chapter 20ish 30ish i could finally judge it.

Actually it woulda been an 8-9 if chapt 57 was the last, but with 58, which is technically what everyone here is commenting on with shiro waking up at the end yet nothing ever really being explained....
Well yeah i agree, nothing being explained at the end drags it down, every other character moved, on its obvious gantas back in school and shiro is in jail and ganta is killing his friendships to save shiros and shiro is in jail probably for life for being a murderer.

The gems shattered earlier and saying the boy lost his branch of sin to sanji, well that means ganta lost it and so did shiro when those gems shattered...
So maybe thats why shiro cannot regenerate as before, and is taking time to heal and recover, as to why anta is in scars i guess from fighting in deadman wonderland...

Not a bad manga, glad to finally see the ending of the anime which seemed to only follow it till chapt 21 with the moon and sky scene though i think it left out the totem of heads part - anyways they coulda did 1-2 more seasons and wrapped this manga up but it really went sporadic with the story for a while.
A lot of characters are just tossed in, a lot of military and ex coop reinforments hop into the battles for no reason, it really went in too many directions for its own good.

So yeah fun interesting idea that was handled to the best of whose ever abilities that wrote and drew it, i think its a girl and shes a comic art so she might of did all the work herself, if thats the case, cant blame her, shes one person and she did great! - if she had a team, well, they coulda did a bit better then.

I also never got into ganta as a main character he is too weak, shiro is too crazy - its all sooooo absurd - but the author kept trying to make a point about irrationality and if thats the goal about the manga, - doing irrational things because you only live once...
wellll shit, i guess she hit the nail on the head and achieved that goal with it, so it surely didn't fail at what it wanted to do.
So with that said - Eitherway it gets a 7 in the end,,,, it was good, but not quite great! It had the makings of it, but not quite there. I'll probably never reread it, but i don't regret reading it. Interesting topic and idea. And a good go i suppose.
May 29, 2021 6:34 PM

Oct 2020
Good read , I questioned whether i should continue after watching the anime and it was worth it. I kept my expectations low and i liked it
Jun 24, 2021 7:07 AM

Oct 2019
This was a pretty good ending. I really liked this manga, 9/10. Hope they reboot the anime one day.
Pandora Hearts is the best manga ever made and deserves an anime reboot
Jul 26, 2021 4:03 AM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
It was a nice ending with a decent epilogue for sure, BUT.
I feel that the whole manga was a mix of great with a lot of average moments, the fact that Shiro and Ganta weren't that likable for me, for most of the manga was a big detriment in the end (of not giving this a 9).

Wish he had looked a bit older, because he looked and felt like a kid, and there were definitely cool scenes of him, and him and Crow, but outside the gore and Shiro's past, sometimes it felt a bit too kiddy to me.
With that said, I did found these Aceman segments endearing, definitely, the best part was the whole build-up of what happened to Shiro, and how it was executed in the end.

The art was really good, with some panels looking really sweet, at times it felt like a great manga, and I was invested in the plot surrounding Shiro, but the characters lacked that overall appeal in the end.

Overall, keep me interested till the end, after the more boring start (and getting through the anime-adapted material), and I would recommend to anyone that watched the anime and wanted something more, more so, when concerning Shiro's trauma.
And pros that the manga had a decent ending!

8.4/10 = 8
Aug 17, 2021 7:43 PM

Jul 2019
The outcome was seen from miles away. The second to the final chapter was so awfully done--it used every worst component imaginable just like the rest of this damn manga.

-[ ~♫~ ll Credit ]-
Sep 14, 2021 4:42 AM

May 2020
A pretty enjoyable manga. Didn't really care for the characters or the story that much. I would've preferred it if they had both died at the end.
Jan 18, 2023 9:41 PM

Jul 2016
Satisfying and bittersweet ending. I'm honestly kind of surprised (and relieved) no one else got killed off, but it's a conclusion that makes sense.

I'm gonna remember this one for the cool blood powers and bird motifs. Oh yeah, and Shiro's screwed up childhood.
Feb 10, 2023 4:36 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
They didn't really try anything risky for this ending, at least it's not bad
Jun 15, 2023 1:09 PM

Dec 2022
Excellent manga. I have no real problems with it except the overuse and improper placement of flashbacks. They're used far more liberally than they should be, and they often kill the flow of scenes that would otherwise be easy to stay invested in.

Shaded Horizon

Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Deadman Wonderland Chapter 34 Discussion

deadfisheyes - Apr 19, 2010

26 by H_Erifu »»
Apr 5, 1:34 PM

Poll: » Deadman Wonderland Chapter 1 Discussion

sifma - Aug 13, 2008

31 by Ed-Ein »»
Feb 19, 10:36 PM

Poll: » Deadman Wonderland Chapter 58 Discussion

GodOfWolves - Sep 27, 2020

3 by knxwone »»
Nov 19, 2023 6:49 PM

Poll: » Deadman Wonderland Chapter 43 Discussion

Ishmael - Mar 26, 2011

23 by knxwone »»
Nov 17, 2023 6:33 PM

Poll: » Deadman Wonderland Chapter 38 Discussion

deadfisheyes - Aug 2, 2010

22 by knxwone »»
Nov 15, 2023 8:19 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.