Forum Settings
Forums

Voice actress Caitlin Grass: "If an anime hasn't been licensed where you live... you're not allowed to watch it!"

New
Pages (8) « First ... « 6 7 [8]
Oct 16, 2017 3:34 PM
Jul 2018
??? as if that's going to stop anyone (me)
Oct 16, 2017 3:50 PM
Jul 2018
Oh Caty, don't you know that there's such a thing as licensing restrictions and the existence of poor college students?

Or are you just salty that your paycheck has gone to shit because Fuckimation contributes more of its funding to their poorly subtitled simulcasts instead of your English dub work?
Oct 16, 2017 4:03 PM

Jan 2015
"Anime Piracy is Bad"

Yes, I posted the Bad video because piracy is BAD and I'm BAD because I pirate. :)
ArillionOct 16, 2017 4:07 PM
Oct 16, 2017 4:07 PM
May 2017
AstZero said:
Actually showed by game statistics pirated content makes more money due to bigger exposure.
I'm pretty sure that no matter what happens Japan won't consider the western audience a thing to take into consideration when deciding what they animate. Pure fact is that Japan doesn't need the West's money. I know that all too well when one of my favs got global popularity but did badly in Japan and it never saw the light of day after those 24 episodes.
So not really, piracy doesn't contribute to the fact that Japan won't take the Western or any other audience into consideration.
Even if they got more money from the West they still wouldn't make anything that is considered popular among the Western audience they would just get more money for completing a demand from the West which would most likely go to another project aimed at the Japanese audience.
Games are case by case basis though. If we were paying a flat fee for every game, then I'd agree it's an apt comparison.

Yeah. Japan gives no fucks at all, but it doesn't help matters either.

I still think that Caitlin has a lawful argument. I'm certainly not morally superior, but it's not "killing a baby" levels of fucked up. It's principle, I guess? Whatever the case, I'm not judging. I just like to accept fact as it is.
Oct 16, 2017 4:27 PM

Apr 2011
Ari_the_Lioness said:
"Anime Piracy is Bad"

Yes, I posted the Bad video because piracy is BAD and I'm BAD because I pirate. :)

Everyone here is a pirate. let's be honest.
Oct 16, 2017 4:33 PM

Jan 2015
Valaskjalf said:
Ari_the_Lioness said:
"Anime Piracy is Bad"

Everyone here is a pirate. let's be honest.

Of course. This web site wouldn't be as popular as it is if people didn't. Anime itself likely be as popular if people didn't. At least, not outside of Japan it wouldn't be.

I just find it funny how they get this shit for free in Japan but people want to get all butthurty hurt because we don't pay for it outside of Japan. Same thing with western animation. I mean, the Japanese want to watch some Powerpuff Girls, pirate that shit! We get it for free over here!!!
ArillionOct 16, 2017 4:39 PM
Oct 16, 2017 4:55 PM

Nov 2014
I wouldn't be surprised if she's simply towing the company line. Something tells me that she wouldn't be so hard-pressed about this if she lived in a country or region where anime licensing is egregious. She's in one of the most privileged nations regarding that. And LOL at the fact that she took a picture of someone only to mock them on social media to her followers.

Also, wow. This thread blew up. It's only about a day old.

Oct 16, 2017 4:59 PM
Review Moderator
Jan 2017
This is funny, so if there isn't any license she doesn't get a job. Her logic is impressive. A series gets a license only because the marketing study is positive and it is positive because the piracy and the net allowed that series to be known outside Japan. Without that the show won't be popular outside Japan. That was demonstrated in the 80-90s when few series were known outside while others were known just for Japan.

The licensors aren't going to pay for a dub of an unknown show that doesn't give a profit or doesn't have an audience. Also, after paying a license most of the profit is for the license holder not for the Japan animation industry. Someone explain that to the lady.

Oct 16, 2017 5:01 PM

Jan 2015
I live in the U.S. so I am lucky to be in one of the countries that has anime flowing freely but I'm not lucky enough to have money to buy it.
Oct 16, 2017 5:44 PM

Nov 2014
Ari_the_Lioness said:
I live in the U.S. so I am lucky to be in one of the countries that has anime flowing freely but I'm not lucky enough to have money to buy it.
Is this in reply to my comment? My post was mostly about how she's being a bit of a prick about piracy. Not neccesarily that people in the US are privileged financially.
Oct 16, 2017 6:02 PM

Jan 2013
Part of what I love about MAL includes getting high as fuck and reading the fucking shitshow that appears whilst I'm away. It's like a hobby now.

TheDerpMan said:
Also, wow. This thread blew up. It's only about a day old.
I feel like most of it is just bickering though.
Oct 16, 2017 6:02 PM
Jul 2015
Ari_the_Lioness said:

I just find it funny how they get this shit for free in Japan but people want to get all butthurty hurt because we don't pay for it outside of Japan. Same thing with western animation. I mean, the Japanese want to watch some Powerpuff Girls, pirate that shit! We get it for free over here!!!

That's..... that's not how it works.... We don't get shows for free and neither do they. You know you have to pay for cable correct? Piracy is stealing no matter how you look at it. You're stealing something that literally costs millions of dollars to create.

I'm not agreeing with Caitlin. She fails to understand how capitalism works. If there's a market for something and a business purposefully withholds it, people are going to find ways to obtain it. Any business that fails to understand this and capitalize on it should fail.

And I'm not trying to sit on a high horse here. I pirate due to lack of funds just like everyone else. But a lack of funds isn't a justification. And it's still stealing regardless of how you look at.

TL;DR: Everyone is a pirate. But, quit trying to justify it.
Oct 16, 2017 6:33 PM

Jan 2015
TheDerpMan said:
Ari_the_Lioness said:
Is this in reply to my comment? My post was mostly about how she's being a bit of a prick about piracy. Not neccesarily that people in the US are privileged financially.

No, I just replying in general. Cause I see a lot of people say they are region locked and anime isn't available where they live. And unfortunately for them the only way for them to access anime is pirate. Whereas, with me, I'm lucky enough to be in a country that has anime licensed where I can actually watch it without region blocks. Unfortunately it does cost money, something I'm very limited with. And it sucks.... but hey, there are people worse off, amiright?

Oh and I know you weren't insinuating that everyone in the U.S is well off.
ArillionOct 16, 2017 7:46 PM
Oct 16, 2017 6:50 PM

Jan 2015
Jagh said:

That's..... that's not how it works.... We don't get shows for free and neither do they. You know you have to pay for cable correct? Piracy is stealing no matter how you look at it. You're stealing something that literally costs millions of dollars to create.

TL;DR: Everyone is a pirate. But, quit trying to justify it.

You're kind of missing my point. I know they they to pay for cable just like us. I meant like just like cartoons are showed on cable over here all day, it's probably the same for anime over there. But we don't pay for individual seasons or episodes of cartoons because we are paying for cable (Netflix, Hulu whatever), we can watch all the cartoons we want. Just like over they pay for their cable over there and get access to all the anime. That's what I meant. I know it's not 'technically' free over there, but they don't have to play for each and every episode, each and every season to watch their anime, just like over here, we don't pay for each and every episode of our western animation to watch it. And to honest, no one pays for cable anymore. But I digress.

Nothing is 'technically' free. not even the anime we're watching is free because the pirated sites are on the internet that we pay for.

Also, since you said this post was too long and you didn't read it, you missed the 20 times I said that pirating is not justifiable, no matter the excuse.
Oct 16, 2017 9:05 PM

Jan 2017
Who the fuck care i will still ise pirating sites
#9animeforever
Oct 16, 2017 9:17 PM
May 2017
I support Voice actress Caitlin Grass.
I dislike illegal viewing.
Illegal viewing does not create money for animation industry.
I also want to illegally view Hollywood movies, but I will not.
Oct 16, 2017 9:30 PM

Apr 2014
Someone's gotta get the sand out of her vagina already
Oct 16, 2017 9:35 PM

Jan 2015
Also, love how she bragged about being 'upgraded to first class' when most of her fans can't even afford coach.
Oct 16, 2017 10:59 PM

Jul 2015
Lol, as if the anime community would be where it is rn if not for piracy. Not saying piracy is a good thing, but I mean, let's be honest here, how many of us (before we got into anime) would have actually paid for it before even knowing anything about it? Yeah sure, there were some anime that aired on TV and what not, but that wasn't enough for someone like me to actually get into anime.. Knowing how I was before I got into anime, I definitely would not have paid first before consuming something I hardly know anything about lol. I feel like a lot of us wouldn't have even been actual anime fans if not for piracy.

â™”
caught in the wonder
â™”
Oct 17, 2017 2:35 AM

Apr 2017
animefan0071 said:
CrallyLystia said:
Well, in a way she is correct. I understood her points.... But... I'm gonna type in capslock on this one.

WHEN THE HELL WOULD ANIMES BE LICENSED IN INDONESIA?!

Simple as that, most animes here are downloaded or pirated into discs, as there is no other ways of watching.

If its about having blurays from Japan... Sadly... We don't get such things I believe.

I'm saying this from my viewpoint and should be easy to be understood.

Yeah I can agree with you on this stuff I say if you're in a place that has access to the DVD's and the non pirate sites probably be better if you could support the industry.

But I understand well that in some Countries like you said where you are that don't get anything like that it's a bit more trickier so downloading and like you said pirate copies of anime's might be the only way to watch them.

So in my opinion the community has a I don't know the proper word I want to use I guess I'll say weighted depending on economy,Country/location, minimum wage/income and some other stuff.

So yeah kind of difficult with this (sorry if I sounded rude at all or confuse you I'm not the best at getting what I want to say out properly and I'm always anxious I'm going to make someone upset.)

Of course, i do understand your point. I also really wish to buy the bluray discs, i mean i get to watch 1080p or HD on it. But yeah... It just no way for now.

I actually feels the same about worrying if ill make others reading my post upset.
No problem, point taken, and Im not offended too.
Life isn't as fun and easy as anime.
Watch anime to bring that fun!!
Oct 17, 2017 2:50 AM

May 2017
Lol 99% of the stuff that i watch is pirated
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 17, 2017 10:26 AM

Sep 2017
Yo ho, yo ho, it's a pirate life for me.

“If you live for yourself you’ve only got yourself to blame. So I can’t really blame anyone else and I don’t have any regrets.”

list

Oct 18, 2017 7:24 AM

Mar 2014
So I just found out she's coming to a con I regular next year in the UK which is funny cos we get half as much legal anime as America does.
Oct 18, 2017 10:15 AM

Jan 2014
Taifood said:
AstZero said:
Actually showed by game statistics pirated content makes more money due to bigger exposure.
I'm pretty sure that no matter what happens Japan won't consider the western audience a thing to take into consideration when deciding what they animate. Pure fact is that Japan doesn't need the West's money. I know that all too well when one of my favs got global popularity but did badly in Japan and it never saw the light of day after those 24 episodes.
So not really, piracy doesn't contribute to the fact that Japan won't take the Western or any other audience into consideration.
Even if they got more money from the West they still wouldn't make anything that is considered popular among the Western audience they would just get more money for completing a demand from the West which would most likely go to another project aimed at the Japanese audience.
Games are case by case basis though. If we were paying a flat fee for every game, then I'd agree it's an apt comparison.

Yeah. Japan gives no fucks at all, but it doesn't help matters either.

I still think that Caitlin has a lawful argument. I'm certainly not morally superior, but it's not "killing a baby" levels of fucked up. It's principle, I guess? Whatever the case, I'm not judging. I just like to accept fact as it is.

It doesn't help matters because Japan doesn't want it to change so it never will. Japan is independent if they're happy as is with their production and material they won't look for a change nor will they try to cater to another audience if their own is enough. The rest are just a plus.

The thing people have to understand is that pirates are not consumers.
If i had to pay to watch anime then i wouldn't watch anime, same goes for people that pirate games. People are going to pirate a game but they won't buy it later on. That being said the companies that claim they lose money on it, they don't.
And if people really like it then they'll become consumers for that game/franchise.
This is pretty much the two scenarios you get A.K.A people either buy your game or they don't. But pirating doesn't lose you money because those people don't plan on becoming consumers anyways or most likely.
The beauty of humans is that they say one thing then do another, but at the same time that can also be their ugliest side.
Oct 18, 2017 7:30 PM

Jul 2013
Being a good voice actress doesn't guarantee right to lie. It's nobody's fault that anime is relatively niche media that is also dying from half-assed animations and production quality.
Oct 18, 2017 8:30 PM
Jul 2018
I do not care about her opinion for I don't know her anyway
Oct 18, 2017 10:06 PM

Jun 2008
Holy shit this is a long thread...

Looks like I missed all the good parts tho...
Oct 19, 2017 9:17 AM
May 2017
AstZero said:
But pirating doesn't lose you money because those people don't plan on becoming consumers anyways or most likely.
That is a good point. If I didn't have the option to watch for free, I wouldn't be watching. So they wouldn't be getting my money either way.

Oct 19, 2017 9:20 AM
Feb 2014
Oh Dark_Sage you magnificent beast. Please speak more on behalf of this.
Oct 19, 2017 1:58 PM
Dragon Idol

May 2017
Decides who?
I doubt anyone would sue me if I pay crunchy and use a VPN to get access to crunchy's overseas library. (If that was the case then it would be all over YouTube already...)
It's actually been highly recommended by those with a large following that instead of complaining and pirating, that VPNs are used instead.
Now if crunchy and co. would put in more effort to make their library more globally accessible I doubt people would pirate as much as they do now. (Since not everyone wants to use a VPN/has money for a VPN/etc)
Oct 21, 2017 5:18 PM
otp haver 🤪

Jul 2017
MOB_ABOMINATOR said:

Oh, and what is the other 1%, do tell?
Oct 21, 2017 8:08 PM

May 2017
Stripesu said:
MOB_ABOMINATOR said:

Oh, and what is the other 1%, do tell?
i knew some one would ask ,the remaining 1% is from YouTube that ain't pirated is it ?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 21, 2017 8:52 PM

Aug 2008
Never thought this thread would be so long. I miss the popcorn for this part. Just remember if anime does not appeal to your taste, don't complain. You don't have right to complain about quality of anime if you don't pay for it. Oh and of course, if China or west takeover anime further, don't complain too since anime industry need money. Chinese cartoon, literally.
But it's important to remember that a movie review is subjective;it only gives you one person's opinion.

http://www.classzone.com/books/lnetwork_gr08/page_build.cfm?content=analyz_media&ch=30

It doesn't matter if you like LoGH,Monster etc.If you are a jobless or college/school dropout living in your mom basement, you are still an unintelligent loser. Taste in anime does not make you a better person.If elitist don't exist, casual pleb and shit taste also don't exist.
Oct 21, 2017 9:23 PM

Oct 2016
Her post gave me cancer :v
que se joda y que viva la pirateria!
Oct 21, 2017 9:45 PM

Oct 2012
Gem said:
Lol, as if the anime community would be where it is rn if not for piracy. Not saying piracy is a good thing, but I mean, let's be honest here, how many of us (before we got into anime) would have actually paid for it before even knowing anything about it? Yeah sure, there were some anime that aired on TV and what not, but that wasn't enough for someone like me to actually get into anime.. Knowing how I was before I got into anime, I definitely would not have paid first before consuming something I hardly know anything about lol. I feel like a lot of us wouldn't have even been actual anime fans if not for piracy.

I'd go as far as saying (overseas) piracy is a net positive for the anime industry, at the very least, its overseas market. The ironic thing is that people like Caitlin Grass wouldn't have had nearly as big of a success in the industry if it wasn't for the exposure the western market got via fansubs/piracy. It wasn't a problem when anime was a niche geek/otaku hobby that only wierd people were into, but now that its on the cusp of being arguably mainstream, its now this huge hotbutton issue. I guess i can understand why certain companies would be intimidated by it since the growth piracy brings is likely to start shrinking soon.

Still, Its hard to feel too bad about it when big corporations like netflix and amazon are likely going to step in and try to milk what they can out of this industry with little to no regard for upholding what made this community good to begin with. God i hope those companies don't get a huge say in the production of what they license.
Oct 22, 2017 8:13 AM

May 2009
Without piracy, there wouldn't be a streaming service like Crunchyroll today, and we wouldn't have all these shows legally available. And companies like Funimation would probably have gone bankrupt long ago.

Sure, what she says is pretty much true, but it's not going to stop anyone from getting what he wants, even if it's through illegal means.
Oct 22, 2017 11:03 AM
Laughing Man

Jun 2012
If they won't license it to where I live that means they don't want my money (i.e don't consider me a customer), therefore it doesn't matter if I watch or not. She's just being petty.
And if this is about maximizing profit for American companies, she should take issue with those companies losing money due to fans kust importing the DVDs/BDs instead if waiting.
"The customer is always right" is not entitlement. She just doesn't understand good business practices.
Oct 22, 2017 2:03 PM

Jun 2007
spuukiebuugi said:
Protaku said:
Someone's gotta get the sand out of her vagina already

It’s all because she’s pissed Funimation duped her paycheck in favor of giving dub funding to simulcasting instead
And their dubs and subs both suck shit lmao so idfk where that money is being put besides the CEOs wallet, stupid cheap faggot Funi can’t even pay their translators well enough for them to properly typeset their eyesore subtitles let alone make the subtitles coherent English
and don’t get me started on their dubs
Strange how "white with black outlines" is only an "eyesore" styling when official subs use it. And would anyone be saying "Someone's gotta get the sand out of his dick" if a male VA were making these remarks?

AstZero said:
The thing people have to understand is that pirates are not consumers.
If i had to pay to watch anime then i wouldn't watch anime, same goes for people that pirate games. People are going to pirate a game but they won't buy it later on. That being said the companies that claim they lose money on it, they don't.
And if people really like it then they'll become consumers for that game/franchise.
This is pretty much the two scenarios you get A.K.A people either buy your game or they don't. But pirating doesn't lose you money because those people don't plan on becoming consumers anyways or most likely.
The problem is that piracy doesn't take place in a cultural vacuum. It's already a passive influence, when paying consumers see their peers getting stuff for free, and thinking, "Why should I be paying when they're not?" Then in the anime fandom viewerbase, you get pirates actively encouraging paying consumers to use illegal sites instead of legal ones, mocking consumers with sarcastic gratitude ("Thanks, keep on paying for my entertainment!"), or engaging in other sorts of anti-industry sabotage. Those kinds of pirates aren't "they would've have bought it anyway" revenue-neutral; they're a net negative.

Ranacchi said:
Now if crunchy and co. would put in more effort to make their library more globally accessible I doubt people would pirate as much as they do now. (Since not everyone wants to use a VPN/has money for a VPN/etc)
Though as I mentioned before, a good 35-40% of KA's traffic comes from the US and Japan, two places that hardly lack for legal access. Setting aside the matter of whether or not North American businesses are obligated to serve the entire globe, I'm skeptical that eliminating region locks is going to make that much of a dent in piracy.

Oct 22, 2017 3:02 PM

Mar 2014
@Zalis
And would anyone be saying "Someone's gotta get the sand out of his dick" if a male VA were making these remarks?
Rule number one when accusing someone of something is always to wipe your own arse before you start accusing others of not cleaning up their shit and you just broke it. Your favorite licensing company has been employing a notorious homophobe who likes to touch his female underage fans inappropriately (Vic Mignogna) for years and you seem to have an obsession with targeting me, a woman, in each and every piracy related thread, and now you're trying to paint yourself as some sort of feminist activist? Please.

You're basically the Coca-cola light version of this guy now:
I offer my heartfelt apologies to the OP if these comments are off-topic; I promise to stick to more relevant subjects like European socialism if I happen to post again.
I realized after a few posts that I had gone off-topic and tried to make up for it afterwards. Where is the post where you admit that you were wrong when you claimed this was a thread about piracy in general?
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Pages (8) « First ... « 6 7 [8]

More topics from this board

» I made a fake anime seasonal chart using AI. Which of these sounds interesting to you? ( 1 2 3 )

FFandMMfan - Apr 13

105 by mo_lave »»
4 minutes ago

» Your top 5 anime couples

Anjumhossain - Dec 12, 2022

40 by WatchTillTandava »»
5 minutes ago

» Seeking Recommendations from My "Plan to Watch" List

vansonbee - 48 minutes ago

4 by ryokoblue »»
11 minutes ago

Poll: » Does your first ever favourite anime(s) still holds a place in your favs?

NubFix - Yesterday

43 by MichaelJackson »»
17 minutes ago

Poll: » How important is the art style for you

nishant0 - Apr 11

41 by SnipeStrike »»
21 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.