Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Oct 16, 2017 1:11 AM

Aug 2016
For once I'm actually tempted to wait a few months and binge this series.
Don't misunderstand though, it's not because I don't want to watch it right now.
It's because I'm so mesmerized by this series that I just want to keep hitting that Next button.

I don't really have much to say that everyone else isn't already saying anyway, so my usually reason for watching things as they air isn't nearly as important to me with this one.
AOTY, imho.
"To be Great is to be misunderstood." - Ralph Waldo Emerson
SaigoKensei said:
My mistake was assuming they had the same amount of information I had..
Oct 16, 2017 5:58 AM

Dec 2014
There is a saying around my parts.

"Everyone wants the bride as she is about to get married"

That sums up this episode's finale.

Fuck him, get her back!
Oct 16, 2017 6:18 AM

Sep 2009
Real shit, this was the best part of the episode:

It's so adorable I wanna take it home.

Oct 16, 2017 9:23 AM

Oct 2008
That punch of Angelica to Elias must hurt a lot lolz!
The visuals as usual is stunning especially on the scene @ (21:30)
Oh my!? who kidnapped and took away Chise!?!?
4/5.

Oct 16, 2017 12:56 PM

Mar 2014
Another interesting episode. I find the fantasy and magic premise of the show very distinctive and oddly enough, unique. The supernatural elements are handled pretty well. The story gives off a pure and calming feeling.
I'm very interested in the dynamic between Elias and Chise, as well as their respective backstories. Seems like the guy Namikawa is voicing stole Chise. It was nice to have a mild cliffhanger.
Oct 16, 2017 12:58 PM

May 2017
bittersweetlove said:
Chise is really powerful...also, her mom killed herself? Does any one know the reason?

From what I remember more was explained in the OVA. The fact they mentioned this in the anime may mean that it will be explained later on, so if you prefer to learn about it from the longer series then you should probably not watch the OVA yet.

On episode 2:
I really like where this anime is going so far. I wonder if Chise will agree to marry Ainsworth.. I hope she won't agree only because he bought her, I do hope that she falls in love with him. Is the skull his real face or is that a mask? I am confused if he is a human or not.
Oct 16, 2017 2:13 PM

Oct 2010
LeturLefr said:
Eeeeee just incase there's some people who doesn't know about the "Slay Vega vs Sleigh Beggy" translations

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-feature/2017/09/15/meet-the-woman-behind-the-ancient-magus-bride

(Like Sleigh Beggy is a legit Irish Folklore lul)

Thank you for that link. Just solved the debate for my group.
Oct 16, 2017 3:54 PM

Aug 2008
Really satisfied with this adaptation so far.

The animation (especially the backgrounds) is really good, and even with still frames from time to time, the studio manages to mask them, by either creating some small movement on the screen or by showing only the upper body of characters as though the viewer was looking through Chise's eyes. It can be also seen in the scene where Simon runs to Elias. During their conversation their faces aren't even on the screen as Chise seems to be completely absent-minded.
Maybe I'm slightly overthinking it, but it's good to see that the animators know what they are doing.
Plus, it's good to have so many beautiful sceneries, especially when you miss shows like Non Non Biyori.

Other than that, loved seeing Angie. One of my favourite supporting characters in the show. Heck, it's difficult to say that I have a fav secondary character with such a well written cast. Can't wait to see more of the dragon person, although I've forgotten the name.

Also, can't get enough of the soundtrack. Was really hoping before the show has even started that they would create a nice score, but I can safely say it exceeds my expectations.

On a side note, I really like the comedy in the manga, so I'm glad they don't omit it.

Now just to wait for the next episode.
Oct 16, 2017 4:04 PM

May 2015
Good episode, but the final couple of seconds and the cliffhanger kinda felt like it came out of nowhere. Could've done better there.

Oct 16, 2017 5:45 PM
Jun 2015
This episode had some good and other not so good moments, like when silky starts hugging Chise out of nowhere, since it wasn't stabilished in any time that they even had a proper conversation before (I haven't read the manga for a long time, so I'm not completely shure, but this is probably just bad adaptation).

The problem comes at the ending. In order to come up with some shitty cliff hanger the director immediately goes from they being okay in the house (with nothing planned so far) to they instatly travelling and chise getting abducted within ONE minute (which surely didn't happen in the manga)

This show is already showing signs of bad adaption, and I haven't even read the original material recently as I said before. Visuals and animation are good, but the director might ruin it all, unfortunately.
goldhawlkOct 16, 2017 5:51 PM
Oct 16, 2017 6:22 PM

Nov 2013
goldhawlk said:
This episode had some good and other not so good moments, like when silky starts hugging Chise out of nowhere, since it wasn't stabilished in any time that they even had a proper conversation before (I haven't read the manga for a long time, so I'm not completely shure, but this is probably just bad adaptation).

The problem comes at the ending. In order to come up with some shitty cliff hanger the director immediately goes from they being okay in the house (with nothing planned so far) to they instatly travelling and chise getting abducted within ONE minute (which surely didn't happen in the manga)

This show is already showing signs of bad adaption, and I haven't even read the original material recently as I said before. Visuals and animation are good, but the director might ruin it all, unfortunately.

You should re-read the first 3 chapters, it actually improves on the manga imo.
The cliffhanger is a personal preference but I like it in the anime better, it's an actual WTF moment where as in the manga it's just a bit confusing.
Oct 16, 2017 7:22 PM
Aug 2017
goldhawlk said:

I can't be completely sure myself since it's been awhile, but I'm 99% certain that silky just does not talk (incapable of perhaps?) except maybe the origin chapter for her. Though you could kinda get that idea from these first two episode where we haven't heard so much as a peep from her. And don't forget she herself is a neighbor and is naturally drawn to Chise like the fairies last episode and the weird lizard thing this episode.

Also what Coxerspaniel said for dragon land.
Oct 17, 2017 2:59 AM

Sep 2009
Really great episode! I really hope the quality and the phasing stays this way! A bit out of nowhere the last 10 seconds, buuuut, I'll let that slide! Loved the humor, art, music and kyah~ I was really afraid Chise's character might be annoying af, because she is "in the past" all the time, but she is gradually "getting better" all the time, as she sees, that there is people in the world who appreciate her being just there, and everything isn't really her fault etc. SO, GREAT! ♥♥♥

Check out~ ♥ Some quality AMV:s made with love ♥ My Youtube
Oct 17, 2017 3:09 AM

Sep 2016
this is the kind of anime that will have multiple episode on my backlog without me realizing it. not bad, not good.
CrossAnge

Hey guys check my profile for current airing season anime recommendation (guaranteed best taste)
Oct 17, 2017 4:02 AM

Nov 2014
Loved the mini and thought this would be great like Natsumes BoF... May wind up being so much more.
Oct 17, 2017 4:42 AM
♡( •ॢ◡-ॢ)✧˖° ♡

Dec 2014
Instead of summoning a flower, Chise summoned a flower field. Interesting "OP" character^^

Gotta love Chise casually told Angelica about she was being washed by Elias~

(っ◔◡◔)っ 𝓘 𝔀𝓲𝓼𝓱 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝓪𝓵𝓵 𝓱𝓪𝓿𝓮 𝓪 𝔀𝓸𝓷𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓯𝓾𝓵 𝓭𝓪𝔂 ♥
Oct 17, 2017 9:48 AM

Aug 2016
Idk but I really like the chibi moments. I can already predict people getting tired with it after a few eps though.

That cliffhanger could've been paced better. Can't remember if the manga was this fast but most probably yes.

"... Because when you live in this world of my closed eyes...
... Being alone is very lonely..."

Oct 17, 2017 10:00 AM

Aug 2015
Simply beautiful and cute.
Oct 17, 2017 10:59 AM

Apr 2015
So the London in this is quite the realistic modern London I see

How such subtle comedic scenes are so much funnier than the bad over the top full comedies

If not aoty at least the most professionally crafted of the winter shows I think
Or is that SSR
Oct 17, 2017 11:39 AM

Jun 2017
ragdollomega said:
goldhawlk said:

I can't be completely sure myself since it's been awhile, but I'm 99% certain that silky just does not talk (incapable of perhaps?) except maybe the origin chapter for her. Though you could kinda get that idea from these first two episode where we haven't heard so much as a peep from her. And don't forget she herself is a neighbor and is naturally drawn to Chise like the fairies last episode and the weird lizard thing this episode.

Silky can talk but chooses not to due to her origin but sometimes her inner thoughts can be heard, at least in the manga. (gets a few bubbles here and there, I wonder if we will get those or the anime will just keep her silent since it's probably better from a business perspective to not hire a VA for a few lines).
Oct 17, 2017 12:13 PM
Aug 2017
MomoSinX said:
ragdollomega said:

Silky can talk but chooses not to due to her origin but sometimes her inner thoughts can be heard, at least in the manga. (gets a few bubbles here and there, I wonder if we will get those or the anime will just keep her silent since it's probably better from a business perspective to not hire a VA for a few lines).

Ah, thank you.

Also, @goldhawlk, after a quick look through, everything you mentioned is definitely adapted straight from the source. Only major story beat missing up to where they adapted in chapter 3 was the in media res of Chise after being caught before jumping back to when she meets the priest. It seemed pretty pointless in the manga, so I'm glad the anime either cut it or will put it in more logical order next episode.
Oct 17, 2017 12:23 PM

Sep 2016
oddly the last part in island feels very cramped in at the end of the episode there. i dont think that they did that in the manga, they just wanted to have a solid hook for the next episode or smth, idk. its a lil silly but this is the studio that made attack on titan after all
Objectivity doesn't exist. Subjectivity is an excuse. Beautiful world of online discourse.

Oct 17, 2017 8:02 PM

Jan 2008
Really enjoying this series OST, so relaxing and reminds me of the Atelier games.

Chise is too precious of a character. Points to Silky for the amusing hug.

Seems like they don't plan to reuse any of the animation from the old PVs. They completely reanimated the scene of Elias getting punched.
Oct 17, 2017 10:09 PM

Oct 2016
Absolutely fantastic still. Will be giving 3-gatsu no Lion S2 a run for its money
Oct 18, 2017 8:24 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
the fairy maid cann´t speak, right? :/
Oct 18, 2017 11:27 AM

Sep 2015
I'm liking this anime more than I liked the OVA. Say what you will about their choice of material. But Wit is a talented studio. And they've really created a very pretty and impressively animated world here. The frozen poppies sequence was particularly captivating this episode. I'm also finding Ainsworth and Chise's relationship less off putting. Than I did in the first episode. Now that we've had the librarian inventor clear up how weird their origin is.

I look forward to seeing what the plot of this series is even going to become. I have never read the manga. And am going in blind. So far one of the few things that seems worth tracking overall. Is the nature of Chise's ability. As a sleigh beggy or whatever. Perhaps what the deal is with her parents as well. I have high hopes for this series. I thought the OVA was OK. But it's kind of becoming one of my favorites this season.
Oct 19, 2017 12:57 AM

Nov 2013
It didn't bother me as much in the prequel , but I find it kind of strange how Ainsworth acts so touchy with FMC . You've literally met her for the span of a week it seems and you're treating her like a pet rather than a human . Plus we know because FMC has a lack of individuality due to all her trauma in the past , she will just go with the flow .

Don't get me wrong , I think she would be in much worse conditions if he didn't take her in , but I don't like the idea of him treating her as a possession . Always saying 'I paid good money for you'
I feel they aren't in the level of relationship yet for him to be so forward with himself .

Anyone else feel this way ?
Oct 19, 2017 1:22 AM
Oct 2015
The ost and the scenery are just absolutely amazing
Heckle was here...
Oct 19, 2017 5:07 AM

Aug 2008
LobsterRyoma said:
Real shit, this was the best part of the episode:

It's so adorable I wanna take it home.

lol i agree on that part very cute
is me or it followed her?
The spider is watching
Oct 19, 2017 7:24 PM

May 2017
Still kind of iffy about the two main protagonists' relationship, but this episode was interesting as well. Will surely be sticking around until the end
Oct 19, 2017 9:12 PM

Aug 2016
The development of characters advances and with them the story. Episode 2 marked by moments of grace, happiness and seriousness coupled with sadness. I have enough doubts about the past of our protagonist, I hope that later can know with details that has happened during her life.

5/5

I think Mahoutsukai no Yome with Made in Abyss are the 2 jewels of this year.

I love the opening, it's beautiful.
Oct 20, 2017 2:16 AM

Jun 2013
Angelica ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Oct 20, 2017 4:24 AM

Jun 2007
I love that Angelica's fairy is a "vodyanoy"! Vodyanoy is a water spirit from Russian folklore :']
see you, space cowperson . . .
Oct 20, 2017 1:56 PM

Jan 2013
Can't believe i watched the 2nd OVA instead of the actual episode xD When i watched it i was like "wtf this is kinda random" xD
Chise has a lot of power. Great episode.
AivanKDec 2, 2017 11:03 AM
"There is no such thing as an Anime elitist. You watch Anime, therefore, you are trash by society's standards."

Oct 21, 2017 11:26 AM

Jul 2009
Bind said:
bittersweetlove said:
Chise is really powerful...also, her mom killed herself? Does any one know the reason?

From what I remember more was explained in the OVA. The fact they mentioned this in the anime may mean that it will be explained later on, so if you prefer to learn about it from the longer series then you should probably not watch the OVA yet.

I watched the OVA already, but if I remember they just say that she killed herself and that she didn't want Chise...but I guess she might have killed herself coz Chise see "things"
Oct 21, 2017 10:49 PM

Jul 2012
There are so many questions left to be answered about everything. What's Chise's story? What exactly is a Sleigh Beggy? Who is Ainsworth? What are all those creatures that very few can see? The world, why mages are so secretive, dragons?!
But I guess we'll learn in due time haha.

The derpy lizard was cute though. I'm glad it followed her :)
Oct 25, 2017 8:27 PM

Oct 2013
Art, music, and voice acting are all on point, but the pacing is all over the place.

One second, Chise and Ainsworth are talking to the priest. Moments later, we're thrown into some new landscape without explanation and Chise gets snatched up by a dragon. You can tell they really wanted to get to that cliff hanger but didn't have enough time.
Oct 26, 2017 4:35 PM

Jan 2017
So i was so distracted this entire episode 'cause well, there was a freaking Quagsire (one of my fav pokemon) in there:

That ending thou, shocking af.

TheDoggoneGirl said:

Wha't a Sleigh Beggy again? And why is Chise so special? I don't want to use Google, maaan. Actually, that magic Chise made was so gorgeous. :D

My baby, it's a Queen bee, an expression used to define some type of special people that is hold dear by spirits and such, and this quality is super desired since for being a Mage you need the spirits help ;3
That's basically why Chise always has a cute spirit on her!

SEIZON SENRYAKU: Hungry 100% of the time.
Vzla-IT

Oct 26, 2017 9:08 PM

Oct 2017
Liked it

Upsides

• I think I'll like Angelica as a character.
  • I understand Chise's emotions better. It makes her more likeable.
  • The plot is going somewhere.
  • Chise's flowers were beautiful.

Downsides

• The dragon island part seemed force at the end of the episode.

This is by far a better episode than the first one. Now I'm pretty sure this anime's a win for me. This actually gives me vibes of my first time watching anime, like Kuroshitsuji.
Oct 27, 2017 6:51 AM

Jun 2016
KannoSugako said:
My baby, it's a Queen bee, an expression used to define some type of special people that is hold dear by spirits and such, and this quality is super desired since for being a Mage you need the spirits help ;3
That's basically why Chise always has a cute spirit on her!

OH! Now I get it. Hihi. Thank you sooooo much! ^_^v

"Maybe he's trying to take a shit, but the shit just won't come out."
Captain Levi, 2014
(/^-^)/☆♪♪☆\(^0^\)
Oct 29, 2017 6:23 AM

Aug 2008
I assume she will get abducted now and then since she's "special" for spirits. Since it's pretty much a shoujo series it will be by good looking men or cute spirits... So boys have "power fantasies" and girls have "romance fantasies"?
Ii tenki desu ne...
Oct 31, 2017 7:08 PM

Dec 2015
I think this was the first time they revealed what happened to Chise's parents? Thankfully those bags under her eyes receded, god know's how long it's been since she's had a proper night's sleep :)

Pacing was really nice and character development was perfect as always, Angelica's introduction to the series was perfect - very natural and revealed even more about Ainsworth's character/personality (hate series that methodically introduce characters straight off the bat - looking at you Overlord). Also Ainsworth actually did look awkward with his human facial expressions.

Personally wish they didn't include the chibi reactions, this series is so good that it doesn't need such a cheap form of comedy relief. The reactions seems out of place, particularly with Ainsworth's otherwise intense personality. Best series of 2017 imo.

What I like the most is how they chose not to exploit Chise's tragic past, they've really done an amazing job portraying her in a way that doesn't make her look pathetic/worthless/beg for sympathy.
~
Nov 1, 2017 4:51 PM
May 2017
I liked how the lizard ate the sparkles.
Nov 5, 2017 6:29 AM
Mar 2012
How can salamanders be so cute.
Attention to detail even the minions carrying crystals have a little skit.
Thought this is a calm sol, what's with everyone kidnapping poor kid to their isekai so soon?
Nov 6, 2017 2:15 PM

Mar 2014
I don't really care for this anime but I loved the oversized axolotl/salamander.
Nov 7, 2017 8:25 AM

Jan 2014
didn't expect her to create a garden of flower out of tiny pieces of water crystal.
that's sure some power we got there.
Nov 14, 2017 11:52 PM

Dec 2016
This new trend of slice of life fantasy where the world and lore is very complex are awesome and I'm a real big fan of them!
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Nov 20, 2017 3:51 PM

May 2015
Dragons. How classy. ;)

Man, Angelica is hot babe. 10/10 for her. :D
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Nov 25, 2017 3:41 PM

Oct 2012
The part with Angelica visit was good, the rest was just.. the pacing felt off, this is way too rushed.

Also, is this reverse harem? I honestly hope not. And I would certainly do without those SD and comedy moments, they are not funny at all.
Nov 29, 2017 8:20 PM

Nov 2017
Mr Steal yo girl is here !! ʢ ͡° ε ͡°ʡ
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mahoutsukai no Yome Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Mills - Jul 26, 2017

375 by yelansh »»
Mar 30, 2:43 PM

Poll: » Mahoutsukai no Yome Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 23, 2018

266 by NotBonBon »»
Mar 24, 4:30 PM

Poll: » Mahoutsukai no Yome Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 3, 2018

81 by hales_comet »»
Feb 22, 8:24 PM

Poll: » Mahoutsukai no Yome Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

UrbanJahts - Jul 26, 2017

247 by hales_comet »»
Feb 21, 8:09 PM

Poll: » Mahoutsukai no Yome Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Nov 4, 2017

189 by satyamkumar4005 »»
Jan 12, 9:00 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.