Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Land of the Lustrous
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »
Oct 8, 2017 9:42 PM

Oct 2008
This is quite an unique interesting concept!
All about the hardness of your boner? i mean gems? of the girls...
4/5.

Oct 8, 2017 10:01 PM

Oct 2012
Neat concept. I'm expecting some character growth during the series and am hoping they continue to build out the world. Especially interested to see why the gem-beings are being harvested and by what (are they beings too or is it some type of force).
Oct 8, 2017 11:04 PM

Jul 2010
modboy said:
am hoping they continue to build out the world. Especially interested to see why the gem-beings are being harvested and by what (are they beings too or is it some type of force).

Well... In the next 2~3 Episodes a character Phos meets up with is gonna slightly expand on the history of the world(though with what is actually said technically could be considered enough to know basically everything), and through said history they also give their thoughts as to why the Gem vs Lunarian-Conflict is even a thing. SO you can look forward to that.
Oct 8, 2017 11:43 PM

Jun 2015
Awesome episode. I really love the animation and plot of Mohs scale from minerals.
One of the best releases of the season.
Oct 9, 2017 12:19 AM
Aug 2017
Smudy said:
HOLY CGI! Really beautiful actually, i always wanted to look at that rather than at the subtitles.

Story seems fairly straightforward, liking the gem stuff, how they can break and that you can lose memories once you break and too many parts are lost.

Phos is a very fun main character, she's quite the cheeky one :D

Not a she. They are genderless.
Oct 9, 2017 1:38 AM

Mar 2016
I was amazed with this. I'd heard of the manga recently, but saw that it was getting an anime adaptation so I didn't read it. I am now glad I didn't read it then, because it was a really good first episode! I love how they're all jewels and if they shatter than can be put back together, or chipped if poisoned. I really liked this, and I swear this reminded me of Rwby ALOT. The animation was great aswell. Can't wait to see what happens next.
Oct 9, 2017 3:00 AM

Jul 2011
EGamerozo said:
kataklism said:

1: phos and beni talking: WHY THE HECK IS AT LEAST TWO PEOPLE IN THE BACKGROUND ON EVERY FRIKKING ANGLE?! does the director even understand how huge is the island and the school, there's less than 28 people on th eisland especially in the middle of they day, and they put on so many characters there?! they also felt incredibly out of place.

1) Well, As you have read the manga, you should know not everyone has to go out into battle(Red Beryl, Alex, etc). And even those that do don’t have to go out all the time, so it at least explains why Zircon and Yellow Dia were in the BG that one scene.

yeah, but the school is still huge, it makes sense that they're at the school, but not that everyone is around the dormitory(if it's morning they should be going to the meet-up, for them to all be around there it'd mean it's closer to nighttime, which isn't really the case given how it takes phos a bit before getting to meet cinnabar)

it just feels like the director felt that for some reason that scene needed a lot more on-screen motion, just like how i don't understand the choice of making the first grassfield scene have music that makes it sound like a generic fantasy live action movie instead of the more stylistic silence of just the grass's sound, at least til phos'd get up.

p.s.: sorry for the violence in writing at the start of the other comment, i barely have anyone to talk with about houseki and now that the anime aired and so many more people are talking about it, i kinda lost my head at all the little details i would have preferred done in another way.

btw i think episode 2 wil be up to phos meeting said character you-know-how, ep 3 util phos speaks with said character, and ep 4 will hopefully end with either the revelation of plans or at the very least "water balloons".

p.p.s.: and yes obviously i did read the manga, up to chapter 42 iirc, translated it too in my mother language and added some end-cards for most chapters that resemble the mid-card of this first episode, but with a whole lot more details on the minerals troughout history and irl properties of em(which also makes me always wonder why amethyst's and alex's relationship with the sun is less or more the same as the other gem-kins) .

Hodor98 said:
I was amazed with this. I'd heard of the manga recently, but saw that it was getting an anime adaptation so I didn't read it. I am now glad I didn't read it then, because it was a really good first episode! I love how they're all jewels and if they shatter than can be put back together, or chipped if poisoned. I really liked this, and I swear this reminded me of Rwby ALOT. The animation was great aswell. Can't wait to see what happens next.

you should though, hte art style is somewhat different but a lot more unique with the heavy contrasts and simple minimalistic design, and even the scenes are slightly different in the manga, for example, the very first scene in it isn't that of cinnabar, but the grassfield scene, also i honestly prefer the first fight in the manga, but pre-fight in the anime is WAY better, for example, i didn't ever notice the lunarians/selenites use musical instruments to coordinate their actions, and that shot of goshe's leg showing slight cracks even after being fully repaired... you will hardly ever see those details in the manga, but the manga still does some things a lot better than the anime.
also, the covers are just as shiny as the gems, and they make for great collection pieces.

overall i'd say there's pros and cons to both tha anime and manga, making it viable to read/watch both.

@Himawari9
yup, if the language we're talking with allows it(in this case english mostly does) then we should use neutral nouns, but for my mother language which doesn't, i prefer going with female ones, maybe smudy is from where i am?
kataklismOct 9, 2017 3:14 AM
Oct 9, 2017 5:12 AM

Nov 2007
At first I had some difficulties adjusting to animation, but after a few minutes I was like 'wow, that's damn good". It works so well.
I rarely pay attention to music in anime, but here I'm really impressed by it.
The main heroine has some character, interactions with others seem so natural.
I'm definitely looking forward to next episodes. I feel it's going to be a very underestimated series.
Oct 9, 2017 5:19 AM

Jun 2012
i don't read the manga, but this show really reminds me of Kyousou Giga, with all the colors and buddha-looking Lunarians
Oct 9, 2017 6:03 AM
Aug 2017
@kataklism

I see. But some of them use male pronoun and refer the others as brothers so using female pronoun for them is kinda weird.

Oct 9, 2017 7:15 AM
Mar 2012
The backgrounds/grass, jewel shading & hair (and Dia & doctor) are especially gorgeous. CG faces are better than usual, keeps Pho funny & likeable.
Kirei monk with a harem.
Some kinda organic memory imbued stones fighting for their survival against moon Buddhists? Pretty odd premise. Getting some Kaguya-hime vibe from those villains taking them away.
Pink looks like Sonic a bit. My only issue is still the designs. Besides face/hair, their bodies/uniform are all too similar long limbs with black tights & same sword harness. A bit individuality could help. eg Kancolle has different height/age for various ship classes.
Already interested in Cinnabar, Dia & how Pho improves.
Oct 9, 2017 8:48 AM
Dec 2015
Are they genderless or did the manga specify the genders yet. Most of them use male pronouns. And they look like female.
Oct 9, 2017 9:11 AM

Jul 2010
kataklism said:

yeah, but the school is still huge, it makes sense that they're at the school, but not that everyone is around the dormitory(if it's morning they should be going to the meet-up, for them to all be around there it'd mean it's closer to nighttime, which isn't really the case given how it takes phos a bit before getting to meet cinnabar)

it just feels like the director felt that for some reason that scene needed a lot more on-screen motion.

I mean yeah the school is "huge", but what actually is the problem with there being Gems in the background? It doesn't detract from the scene or the setting as a whole. And the are allowed to get some R&R. Which is the most likely case for Yellow and Zircon being in the Benito scene background(in story anyway).

kataklism said:

p.s.: sorry for the violence in writing at the start of the other comment, i barely have anyone to talk with about houseki and now that the anime aired and so many more people are talking about it, i kinda lost my head at all the little details i would have preferred done in another way.
its fine no harm done.

kataklism said:

btw i think episode 2 wil be up to phos meeting said character you-know-how, ep 3 util phos speaks with said character, and ep 4 will hopefully end with either the revelation of plans or at the very least "water balloons".

Given the preview of episode 2, it will most likely cover either up to Chapter 4 or Chapter 5.

anirudhsuki said:
Are they genderless or did the manga specify the genders yet. Most of them use male pronouns. And they look like female.

Well seeing as how they are "rocks" and that is all they know they have no "concept of gender or sex". So they genderless.
Oct 9, 2017 10:34 AM

Oct 2017
Nice episode. The CGI and the backgroud art look really good. Looking forward to see Diamond next ep.
Oct 9, 2017 12:07 PM
Sep 2017
can't wait to see more of Dia, she was so pretty/cute. i'm guessing she's like max hardness? bc diamonds lol
Oct 9, 2017 12:09 PM

Oct 2013
ShadowMonkey said:
I am acknowledging the fact that they're genderless, but if they use male pronouns for each other in their society, I'm gonna use them too. Also, I think the MAL bios also use "he"

Well, most of the time they don't use any pronouns. Also, I'm not sure if you realized something very interesting (well, I mean, it took me a while to notice) - "kare" used to be genderless! I think that it's very interesting that the author has decided to use this particular pronoun.

tokinokanatae said:
And the original Japanese has them using "he" and "older brother" to refer to one another. I think it's pretty awesome to be respectful of how people choose to label themselves, personally!

I think that it's also pretty awesome to accept genderless characters, and to be respectful of the author's vision. Are the author or, say, the article on the Japanese Wikipedia wrong when they say that the author decided that even though the pronouns are male, and the characters are drawn as half-male/half-female (well, stereotypically, of course), the characters themselves are genderless? You do remember what part of <spoiler> the gems are supposed to represent, right? And these have no gender.
Oct 9, 2017 12:25 PM

Jul 2011
yeah, the author does pretty much everything he can to make it be as neutral as possible, and while "senpai" would have been a nautralization without ambiguity, the term "brother" gives a very specific vibe to the relationship the gems have, and i think the author used that also to tell us "look, the gender doesn't matter, what matters is their relationships"

also, brother is kinda more neutral than sister, and if as i said the author really wanted to use family terms to the point of going into the ambiguous, then i guess we can just use whatever we want if our language doesn't allow for full neutrality.

in my language, italian, the term "gems" has actually a female connotation, and among many other reasons, that is possibly the most official one for why many prefer to use female pronouns here, given that we can't go full neutral on almost anything.
i repeat though, that that is not the case for english.

personally if i was ichikawa i would've just stayed away from family terms althogher, especially given how the setting is more akin to that of a college than a house, thus kohai and senpai would've fit better, but hey, that was her choice, so we've gotta roll with it... but try to not use "brother" strictly as male noun preference, if that was the case haruko ichikawa would've probably been more clear whether or not they prefer to use male nouns or not, but it seems like it's really just personal preference of characters and they all try to keep mostly neutral about it, or use the "if it's uncertain use male" rule that is present in many other languages(again, in italian for example if you've got to count a rgroup of a lot of people, say 20, and even only one of them is male, for the plural form of a collective term you've still got to use male, but with houseki it's still quite hard to say, and people usually just fall onto basic grammar to decide, to the point of considering the gems objects rather than people for the sake of grammar)
Oct 9, 2017 12:35 PM

Jul 2010
ahrifanclub said:
can't wait to see more of Dia, she was so pretty/cute. i'm guessing she's like max hardness? bc diamonds lol
Oct 9, 2017 9:56 PM

Jul 2015
Well, wasn't so sure about this at first as it was CG and I don't like CG... but after sitting through Kemono Friends (and falling in love with that somehow... somehow...) I'm pretty sure I can handle this as long as the characters and story are decent enough.

Which it was. I like this anime. The CG is actually pretty damn fine with the only negative being Cinnibar's puke scene which just looked... kind of bad, the characters are nice and I enjoy their interactions, story seems good enough, I think I'll enjoy this.

Also... at the end... when they did that close up on Cinnabar's face... freakin amazing, like, everything about that shot was perfection. Her face itself, the red of her hair and eyes, the lighting, the angle, the way her hair blows in the wind, the FREAKING SPARKLES. All of it was perfect.
A Wild and Small Otaku has Appeared!
Oct 9, 2017 11:14 PM

Aug 2015
This was a great first episode. Everything is beautiful, both as stills and in motion. Using CGI for this has worked out well. I'm watching this because an artist I follow on Instagram has been recommending it and drawing lovely fan art of it for a while. I'm glad she did!
Oct 10, 2017 6:07 AM

Apr 2015
Holy fak
I hate CGI anime but this one just looks beautiful to me. The animation is great so far.
I love how expressive their movement and faces are.

Also I love the ost. Can someone tell me a similar anime ost/music like Houseki no Kuni?
It`s gorgeous.

Oct 10, 2017 6:22 AM

Jul 2015
I came to see if it was good, ended up searching for Cinnabar on the Wikipedia.
Oct 10, 2017 10:55 AM

Jul 2011
MetaThPr4h said:

it's people like you the reason why i put informations about the minerals at the end of most chapters.

and about that, i also love they did something similar with the mid-card,and it was eautifully designed as well.

@PinkBani

if i used discord i'd probably check in, but that unfortunately is not the case.
Oct 10, 2017 1:15 PM

Jul 2015
kataklism said:
MetaThPr4h said:

it's people like you the reason why i put informations about the minerals at the end of most chapters.

and about that, i also love they did something similar with the mid-card,and it was eautifully designed as well.

Damn, that's great! Let's see if I end up liking this anime enough to pick up the manga later.
Oct 10, 2017 1:27 PM

Apr 2016
Had zero knowledge about this show at all as I was checking out all the seasonal animes. The CGI looked a little jarring and maybe overdone at first, but then the dialogues started. Oh god. As soon as I heard Kurosawa Tomoyo's distinctive voice, I was sold.

CGI took a bit of getting used to, but this show is very much character driven. Story still needs to be fleshed out, but the VA cast is the star of the show here. Great timing and chemistry in the dialogues so far. Very promising show.
Oct 11, 2017 8:31 AM

Dec 2010
Nope. Cannot with this animation. I cannot deal with CGI.
Oct 11, 2017 11:27 AM

Oct 2017
The animation was a nice surprise and the series tries to work with the cameras in a very cinematic way, many angle changes and a lot of audiovisual means that we usually dont see in a common anime. The character designs are incredible and I like the form the show connects the visual level with the background ( very interesting).

However I can see a lot of clichés going on the screenplay, the same plane characters of always, the same overexplicative dialogues, battles that break the atmosphere and other things common in mainstream anime that I dont like.

The show is OK, one of the season essentials, and I want to watch the evolution of the story and more of that bizarre animation.
AnimeshonGodOct 11, 2017 12:19 PM
Oct 12, 2017 1:31 AM

Jul 2011
AnimeshonGod said:
The animation was a nice surprise and the series tries to work with the cameras in a very cinematic way, many angle changes and a lot of audiovisual means that we usually dont see in a common anime. The character designs are incredible and I like the form the show connects the visual level with the background ( very interesting).

However I can see a lot of clichés going on the screenplay, the same plane characters of always, the same overexplicative dialogues, battles that break the atmosphere and other things common in mainstream anime that I dont like.

The show is OK, one of the season essentials, and I want to watch the evolution of the story and more of that bizarre animation.

personally i'm not sure how to take this thing about the movie-style shots, in certain moments it is beautiful, but like my previous complain about the conversation with beni, it feels a bit jarring at times, but hey, everything for those sweet sweet audiovisual details.

and yeah, the manga too is like that at the start, however if it didn't have the usual tropes it probably wouldn't be having a single chance of getting out of the swamp of niche serieses, and later on it gets pretty baller.

getting back on the angles topic, i think the most represantative in-manga shots are the ones that show the world or the characters in their entireety(usually end-chapter pages of double page drawings) , comedic skits that resemble a bit slapstick comedy without the violence and are evolved trough usually 3 panels, and lastly, the best ones: the dinamic outof-square drawing, which add only something little out of the page, but it makes the whole scene feel much smoother, like these:
http://img.bato.to/comics/2014/07/26/h/read53d392eda3951/img000015.jpg http://img.bato.to/comics/2014/07/26/h/read53d392eda3951/img000016.jpg

http://img.bato.to/comics/2014/07/26/h/read53d385a8dc700/img000003.jpg (not the best eample, but i should've gotten spoilers if i wanted to show better ones, or perhaps the 4-komas could've worked just as well...)

http://img.bato.to/comics/2014/07/26/h/read53d38d7f2ec05/img000018.jpg
(spoiler for ch7/ep 3-4)
also fun fact: the last one was misprinted in the french version, with the 2 halves of the image being inverted

i can see the panorama shots being done well with this kind of directing, but i feel like the other two might have problems being shown as well as in the manga.
kataklismOct 12, 2017 1:36 AM
Oct 12, 2017 2:01 PM

Mar 2016
The pioneering of CG really takes me back to early 2000s - we're in our own little evolution - it's getting much better =)
Lie until what you want to be true becomes truth. Lie until you can't remember what's a lie and what isn't.  Lie until you aren't lying anymore!
Figures
Oct 13, 2017 6:33 AM

Jun 2015
Unique art and nice idea, seems like the show has great potential, hopefully they wont go the cliche route
Oct 14, 2017 9:00 AM

May 2015
Zakuro-Hime said:
Nope. Cannot with this animation. I cannot deal with CGI.

You should learn to deal with it then.

Oct 14, 2017 10:24 AM

Jul 2008
The CG and cute character redesign still makes me cringe, but I guess it's not as terrible as it could have been. (still, looking back at the 2D promo for the manga, I still can't help but hate the animation style they choose to go with)
Oct 14, 2017 6:01 PM

Jul 2011
GreenTea13 said:
The CG and cute character redesign still makes me cringe, but I guess it's not as terrible as it could have been. (still, looking back at the 2D promo for the manga, I still can't help but hate the animation style they choose to go with)

REdesign? with the exception of phos they all look like in the manga to me...
Oct 14, 2017 7:10 PM

Dec 2008
Cinnabar is actually quite badass even if her hardness is only a 2. She fought off the moon dwellers by herself. That's something the other two couldn't do.
Oct 14, 2017 7:21 PM

Jan 2014
Not sure what to make of this. I could see it ending bad. The story is good for sure, though. It reminds me of some fairy cartoon from CartoonNetwork or something.

Three things cannot be long hidden..
...the s u n, the m oo n, and the tr u th.

Oct 14, 2017 7:23 PM

Jun 2013
The CG is Surprisingly good!
Oct 16, 2017 2:43 PM

Sep 2013
Pretty great actually, the steven universe fans going on about how it's a ripoff or inspired by it are stupid.
Oct 19, 2017 10:11 PM

Aug 2012
-watching this because i thought the OP was pretty good
-well i certainly wasn't being lied to when people said this show looked pretty gorgeous
-i can't believe phos is fucking dead
-i dunno why but everything phos said when she was inside of the body bag was fuckin hilarious
-starfish people
-that's a fuckin dull-ass blade if it couldn't break a clipboard in half
-or maybe that's a strong clipboard
-oh hey it's the other girl from the OP
-phosphoryllite so far has been pretty entertaining
-cinnabar's fight scene was pretty cool though
-Yebaited
-cinnabar had a tough life
-dia's introduction seemed pretty random, but it seems like she's the subject of the next episode

So, first and foremost, I did not expect this to be so visually appealing. The world is just so vibrant, shiny, and colorful, and there's just a certain quality of Phosphoryllite that just really adds to the world. I don't know exactly why I found her really entertaining, maybe it's because of how unashamedly confrontational she was toward everyone, or maybe it's because of her pluckiness. Either way, she's fucking great. Not much happened in the plot department aside from world-building and the fact that someone named Helio got taken away by the moon people and mulched into crystals. Still, this is probably the best first episode of the season I've seen so far.

Oct 20, 2017 10:56 AM

Jul 2008
kataklism said:
GreenTea13 said:

REdesign? with the exception of phos they all look like in the manga to me...

A couple of side by side comparison screenshots
https://i.imgur.com/2npvfiA.png
https://i.imgur.com/rwvVBRI.png

To me it seems like the manga style is more sharp and lengthy than the anime, like the body proportions have been scaled down to fit a more 'standard' type of model in the anime.
Nov 1, 2017 1:24 PM

Feb 2015
That was great, the CGI was great, the music was great, the animation was great.
From a 3rd person perspective this may not be the best show because of its flaws but I really love it just from the 1st ep.

Who knew that I'll need androgynous genderless gem people with long legs so much in my life.
I'm watching anime since 2012. I also play games, sometimes.

Don't bother me if you want to 'become friends' or things like that.
It's tiresome. I know you just want to collect some meaningless numbers.
Thought: How many people sparked H. Charlotta just for blue pot?
Nov 9, 2017 6:14 PM

Dec 2016
Definitely an intriguing first episode. Onto the next one!
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Nov 11, 2017 10:30 AM

Apr 2014
Fantastic episode, visually pleasing.
Nov 21, 2017 6:46 AM

Dec 2012
Usually not a fan of CGI, but really interested in this. It just seems so stylized and mesmerizing. The concept is neat as well and Phos is very amusing thus far.
Nov 27, 2017 7:02 AM

Aug 2012
Their hair looks tasty.
Dec 3, 2017 11:20 PM

Jan 2010
Wooah everything seems so beuatiful I think the CGI fits well honestly.
Dec 22, 2017 4:06 PM
Sep 2015
This triggers trypophobia.
Also their enemies are so ugly, a bunch of women with no eyes throwing some non-pointed arrows.

I like it, I have heard good stuff about this on Twitter but it's kind of horror-like. I don't like watching characters missing their legs/hands/head. I just can't stand dismemberment ew
Dec 22, 2017 8:18 PM

Jun 2017
JOELbedulla said:
Also their enemies are so ugly, a bunch of women with no eyes throwing some non-pointed arrows.

I like it, I have heard good stuff about this on Twitter but it's kind of horror-like. I don't like watching characters missing their legs/hands/head. I just can't stand dismemberment ew

Since they're rocks that can be reassembled, it plays around with them getting broken quite a bit. It's bloodless, but yeah you'll see more stuff like that. Also haha, on the trypophobia topic, there's a character who you'll see later who completely fits that theme.
Dec 23, 2017 12:15 AM
Sep 2015
sorathecrow said:
JOELbedulla said:

Since they're rocks that can be reassembled, it plays around with them getting broken quite a bit. It's bloodless, but yeah you'll see more stuff like that. Also haha, on the trypophobia topic, there's a character who you'll see later who completely fits that theme.

Nooo, I hoped this was the only episode with stuff like this, if it gets too repetitive I don't know how I'll endure it.
Dec 25, 2017 9:36 PM

May 2015
Time to finally binge this one. I've heard a lot of great things thus far, and I cannot wait to dive right in. I'm impressed with the creative use of CG.

edit: Wow, Takahiko Kyogoku is the director for this one. No wonder this show sucked me right in. I enjoyed the direction in Love Live, especially the recent performances.
Dec 28, 2017 11:42 AM

Jan 2017
Interesting so far. The CGI, for being CGI, it's quite impressive, still, sometimes i feel like i'm watching some video game clip.

I really liked the colors and the whole 'stone' concept. About the story itself, at the moment seems interesting enough. Let's see if the rage does justice to it.
SEIZON SENRYAKU: Hungry 100% of the time.
Vzla-IT

Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Houseki no Kuni (TV) Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 23, 2017

315 by EngelsGreyrat »»
11 hours ago

» Not at 500,000 viewers after 6 years :(

ghier - Dec 2, 2023

29 by APolygons2 »»
Feb 11, 12:24 PM

Poll: » Houseki no Kuni (TV) Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 11, 2017

147 by JoestarEISH_020 »»
Dec 4, 2023 8:29 PM

Poll: » Houseki no Kuni (TV) Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Nov 4, 2017

98 by JoestarEISH_020 »»
Dec 2, 2023 8:27 PM

Poll: » Houseki no Kuni (TV) Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Oct 28, 2017

108 by JoestarEISH_020 »»
Dec 2, 2023 7:59 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.