Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »
Oct 8, 2017 9:18 AM
Feb 2016
Fang said:
A little slow but overall, a decent start. Art, animation and voice acting were great too.
Not a fan of the whole "bride" thing given that Chise is just 16 and god knows how old Elias is... Imagine if the genders were reversed lol.

romance is not really a major theme here. it rarely even gets mentioned.
Oct 8, 2017 9:32 AM

Nov 2011
The thing I noticed immediately, compared to OVAs, is the presence of comic moments, which make the atmosphere a little less burdensome and hence less emotional. Really great as the beginning, the narrative goes straight to the hard and the graphic quality of the designs and backgrounds, it stunning me for their beauty. I want the next episode, waiting, I see the OVA.

For now my vote is 7/10.
Oct 8, 2017 9:33 AM
May 2017
And "Mahoutsukai no Yome" started very, very well. Art is gorgeous, opening and ending are very beautiful, music and sound effects are very pleasant and the anime story is on the manga story, what makes me the happiest. Elias and Chise make a 10/10 couple. Hope the anime to keep its good points and improve where it can.
Mene, mene, tekel, parsin
Oct 8, 2017 9:37 AM
May 2017
kanekeren said:
Fang said:
A little slow but overall, a decent start. Art, animation and voice acting were great too.
Not a fan of the whole "bride" thing given that Chise is just 16 and god knows how old Elias is... Imagine if the genders were reversed lol.

romance is not really a major theme here. it rarely even gets mentioned.

Mene, mene, tekel, parsin
Oct 8, 2017 9:55 AM

Jul 2016
Kittens-kun said:
Kaze_Kitsune said:

You're right, because ideas and themes don't correlate to real life situations at all. My bad.

In this context, you're getting offended on behalf of a 2D anime girl. That doesn't seem odd to you? Plus, you can clearly see that he doesn't treat her like a human per or slave. If the character in question isn't bothered by it, then neither should you.

Uh, how is he getting offended? Yeah, it's not real, but people are allowed to be uncomfortable with things presented in fiction. I mean, I'm not personally too bothered by it, but that age gap IS kinda creepy.
Oct 8, 2017 9:55 AM

May 2009
Interesting start. Never seen anything quite like it before. I love that.

I am curious of what will happen next!
check out my twitch: https://twitch.tv/slowy
Oct 8, 2017 9:57 AM

Oct 2015
Still not a fan of the naming, one of them is pretty important. Silver over Silky shouldn't had been a mistake considering there is a source material to double check.
Oct 8, 2017 10:04 AM
Nov 2016
Impressive.... VERY impressive. The visuals are out of this world and Elias is such a kind character.

The chemistry between Chise and Elias is good too. At first I thought that this would be a weird concept for an anime but the gorgeous art and that gypsy-esque music have made me reconsider.
Oct 8, 2017 10:15 AM

Jul 2010
Like like like! <3
Senjougahara: Don't call me "this chick"
Araragi: Then what should I call you?
Senjougahara: Senjougahara-sama.
Araragi: SEN - JOU - GA - HAA - RAA - SAA - MAA
Senjougahara: I don't like the way you say it. Say it properly.
Araragi: Senjougahara-chan~
Oct 8, 2017 10:26 AM

May 2015
Zydeph said:
Kittens-kun said:

In this context, you're getting offended on behalf of a 2D anime girl. That doesn't seem odd to you? Plus, you can clearly see that he doesn't treat her like a human per or slave. If the character in question isn't bothered by it, then neither should you.

Uh, how is he getting offended? Yeah, it's not real, but people are allowed to be uncomfortable with things presented in fiction. I mean, I'm not personally too bothered by it, but that age gap IS kinda creepy.

They're not real people, so it's not creepy.

Oct 8, 2017 10:28 AM

Apr 2012
Kittens-kun said:
It's creepy because of something called empathy, which is distributed differently among people it seems.
Oct 8, 2017 10:33 AM

May 2015
EratiK said:
Kittens-kun said:
It's creepy because of something called empathy, which is distributed differently among people it seems.

I have empathy. I've cried many times watching anime. I'm saying it's not creepy because I hate when people take this stuff too seriously. "oh she was a slave and he called her his pet!" "oh this was rapey!" "oh that age gap is so immoral!" It's just annoying when people act like this.

Oct 8, 2017 10:39 AM

Apr 2012
Kittens-kun said:
I have empathy. I've cried many times watching anime. I'm saying it's not creepy because I hate when people take this stuff too seriously. "oh she was a slave and he called her his pet!" "oh this was rapey!" "oh that age gap is so immoral!" It's just annoying when people act like this.
I'm not saying you don't, some people are more sensitive than others I guess. Elias is shady though, which makes his relationship with Chise ambiguous, and interesting I might add.
Oct 8, 2017 10:58 AM

Oct 2016
Strong contender for Anime of the Season, I think
Oct 8, 2017 11:10 AM

Nov 2012
Kittens-kun said:
Epicenter said:
A little rapey, but cool stuff so far.

Rapey? What are you talking about?

Power imbalance, dude bought an underage slave girl, gave her a place to live, and then proceeds to try to make her his bride. It's like a rich ceo marrying some intern, even worse in fact. It'd be like going to a third world country and taking some underage chick, and then making her your wife as you take her back home. Not full rape I guess, but rapey vibes.
Jaywalker.
Oct 8, 2017 11:31 AM

Nov 2011
Pretty much what I expected, as a fan of the manga I'm very satisfied.
Just thought the opening was a bit meh, but I liked the ending song a lot, it reminded me of Akino Arai.

I din't even check if all the ovas are finally out, guess I'll rewatch the first and finish the rest while I wait for the next ep.
Baby, daijobanai...
Oct 8, 2017 11:42 AM
Jan 2016
I was looking forward to this adaptation since I saw the OVA's and I was hoping that the TV series will maintain the same quality as the OVA's and it did
Wit studio delivers again
A perfect first episode animation, soundtrack were on a whole new level I love it I love it I love it
I'm loving the interactions of Chise and Elias
I would've like if Ruth was in this episode but I guess perhaps we will see him next week
I have no complain about this episode
It's going to be anime of the season and if it continues to be on the same quality it will definitely be Anime of the year
Glad it will be 24 episodes
Can't wait to watch the next episode
Oct 8, 2017 11:52 AM

Sep 2011
The animation was beautiful and matches the atmosphere of the show, also I really loved the sound track and the characters. Chise's past seems similar to Natsume's from Natsume Yuujinchou but I guess that is where the similarities end. I can say with confidence that this is the best first episode I've seem a while and this series seems to have a lot of potential.

I've been thinking about whether or not I should start reading the manga for a while now, maybe I'll wait till the anime finishes. I get the feeling it might be much better than most of the series I'm currently reading so I really wonder if I'll be able to contain my curiosity till this show ends or if I'll give in and start reading after a few more episodes. Anyway I'm really looking forward to it and that is something that hasn't happened for a few years.
Oct 8, 2017 12:26 PM
The Komori

Mar 2013
Beautiful and very faithful adaptation of the manga so far...I probably won't comment on the threads weekly but I'm curious to see how far the anime will adapt

I stopped reading this a year ago so my memory isn't THAT great but if it goes further than where I stopped I'll be excited
Oct 8, 2017 12:31 PM

Jul 2009
OP was really nice!
Also, it was nice to see how Chise ended up with Elias...poor kid, sold like that. This is gonna be amazing!
Oct 8, 2017 12:39 PM

May 2015
Epicenter said:
Kittens-kun said:

Rapey? What are you talking about?

Power imbalance, dude bought an underage slave girl, gave her a place to live, and then proceeds to try to make her his bride. It's like a rich ceo marrying some intern, even worse in fact. It'd be like going to a third world country and taking some underage chick, and then making her your wife as you take her back home. Not full rape I guess, but rapey vibes.

It's pretty clear that he's not forcing her to do anything. Rapey vibes? I really don't see it.

Oct 8, 2017 12:44 PM
Aug 2015
its gona be torture waiting weekly for this
Oct 8, 2017 12:59 PM

Jul 2013
Fappa said:
As far as I know Elias's whole intent and their relationship is put into question due to how others perceive him. He is seen as creepy, he is described as evil by some and he lacks general understanding on what even terms like bride, family etc mean since he's a very isolated species. It's up to Chise to slowly find her way behind this skull of his and see how he truly is and on top of that to teach him the values of the thing he speaks about. So yeah it's very much criticized within the show itself.

The ariels, the fairies should've given you an idea on how every creature, may it look as gentle and beautiful as it can, could actually have a very vicious and dangerous side to it and that's something the show is very self aware about.

thank you!!! seriously. my friend was concerned about the same thing and you've put both our minds at ease ^.^
Oct 8, 2017 1:58 PM

Mar 2016
I'm amazed. It had been on my plan to read for a long time, but I saw that there was an anime coming out, so I waited. I am so glad I waited. This is going to be the best anime of the season and one of the best this year. I really like Elias's personality, and I'm interested in Chise's backstory a lot! Can't wait to see their journey together and if she'll become a great mage!
Oct 8, 2017 2:25 PM

Sep 2011
An okay start. The magic certainly didn't work as well as in the OVAs, probably due to the time restrictions. They probably should've ditched the OP and ED for this first episode.
I'm also not a fan the art style change during the comedy moments.
Oct 8, 2017 2:51 PM

Aug 2011
Studio WIT is god. Masterpiece
Oct 8, 2017 4:27 PM

Jan 2013
Great first episode! I really enjoyed the development of this episode. And i also really liked Elias and Chise's personalities. Can't wait for more!
"There is no such thing as an Anime elitist. You watch Anime, therefore, you are trash by society's standards."

Oct 8, 2017 6:24 PM

Mar 2017
Seriously so excited to continue watching this; I'm a sucker for anything beautifully animated and this fits the bill. I watched the prequels and was so confused until I realized they were prequels, and in anticipating its release I read what is released for the manga (which I highly recommend).
Oct 8, 2017 7:57 PM
Oct 2010
Loved this first episode. I got completely immersed in it.

Kittens-kun said:
EratiK said:

I find it far more annoying when people push their perspective/opinion onto others. Just let them think what they want.
"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain"
Friedrich Schiller
Oct 8, 2017 9:03 PM

Oct 2008
WOW! such high member on MAL and high rating, of course since its from Wit Studio, is really something!
OP from JUNNA was amazing!
i never knew since the first 3 episodes was rather standard for me.
So, this is where Elias bought Chise Hatori for 5mil!
4/5.

Oct 8, 2017 9:24 PM

Sep 2017
This was genuinely beautiful, and I have never read the manga. I think this might be my favorite of this fall. Great episode, I'm excited to see more.
Oct 8, 2017 10:05 PM

Jun 2017
I'm glad this episode turned out to be good. A lot of the pilot episodes for this season were bad, so this was a much needed breath of fresh air.
Oct 8, 2017 11:29 PM

Jun 2017
topazio said:
I just loved this. I sure hope it maintains the same level on the rest of the episodes. I also loved the comedy bits and the style change on them.

Kaze_Kitsune said:

I don't know if it's a cultural thing but Chise basically being sold as a slave (I'm sure I can imagine what for) was uncomfortable for me.

Having Elias call her "puppy" and tell her that she's basically being groomed to be his bride, even though she's 15.... also uncomfortable.

...that's definitely not a cultural thing HAHA but yeah, this kind of thing happens everywhere actually. It is just that we don't know about it, of course. Human trafficking was at one time a great problem over all Europe. I don't know nowadays, though. It's obviously bound to be unconfortable to watch, considering that she chose this herself.

Also, this certainly may be uncomfortable depending on the part of the world you live in, but even though it's not common in most places for 15yo people to marry, the consent age varies from country to country (Japan, for example, is 13). Also, we have to consider the context of the story. Elias certainly follows a different moral code than that of humans, since by what the OVA shows he is the usual "outcast from humanity", who relies on Chise as his main link to the human world, so he certainly doesn't see the age gap as that much of a problem as other societies might see. I don't think he means "puppy" in a weird way at all, just the same way a human see a dog. I haven't read the manga yet, but I doubt the relationship between the two will be sexualized in any weird way. This is clearly a show where subtlety will pay off way more than gaudiness.

I think my knowledge of human trafficking is what made it even more uncomfortable for me, honestly. I've done some pretty extensive research for various reasons and I wish that more people were aware.

Anyways... I understand that the age of consent for marriage varies from country to country. I think what made it weird for me was the way that it's portrayed as "cute" I guess? I just don't see Chise's situation as being cute. The same reason him calling her 'puppy' made me feel uneasy.

I'm definitely going to continue watching, though. Thanks for the response!

Oct 9, 2017 12:09 AM

Jul 2013
Love the backgrounds and the ED song
Oct 9, 2017 12:27 AM

May 2014
Solid start. The atmosphere was very well done, the audiovisual quality was used competently and I like they didn't victimize Chise (for now), this is how a serious plot is handled with the subtlety it deserves, even with some dry but sympathetic comedy in the middle. Some series from the past season should learn from it....

Also, Elias reminds me A LOT to ma' boy Ringabel from Bravely Saga, they both share the same seiyuu and they are almost the same husbando material even though they are so different, lol.
Oct 9, 2017 12:56 AM

Sep 2017
i was looking forward this anime sooo long! I love the plot, music, characters and drawing! Hope, it wont get worse.. :)
Oct 9, 2017 1:00 AM

Aug 2012
Wow something interesting at last. Season saved.
Oct 9, 2017 1:36 AM

May 2016
didn't think that i would like it because i'm not really in the romance mood, but i did really enjoy it. there's so many things in this world that i want to know about. just as she knows nothing i feel just the same.

Oct 9, 2017 1:51 AM

Feb 2014
"My puppy" the best line ever!
When someone asks me why I like anime, I'd say Just Because.

Oct 9, 2017 2:04 AM

May 2015
Ajunky said:
Loved this first episode. I got completely immersed in it.

Kittens-kun said:

I find it far more annoying when people push their perspective/opinion onto others. Just let them think what they want.

That's fine, what they think is still wrong though.

Oct 9, 2017 2:40 AM

Aug 2010
Loving this show already! AND it's getting 24 total episodes?! yes, yes, & YESSS!
Oct 9, 2017 2:42 AM

Aug 2015
This show seems like it would be impossible to describe to someone.

I would think that normally, if someone described a show as "a powerful mage purchases a girl / slave and trains her to be a mage and his future wife", would be a pretty big red flag for me.

However, the show seems to somehow subvert that, or rather, it's not so much about any of those parts.
It must just be the writing. It's really really good writing. All of the production values seem to be top notch.
Elias has a rather perfect voice for his character. He's strong, calm, knowledgeable, and a bit soothing. You can tell that he is very comfortable with himself.
While Chise (and the audience) are learning / coming to terms with the direction of the show, Elias forms a cohesive glue to tie everything together.
Oct 9, 2017 3:51 AM

Dec 2013
Beautifully executed. Even I was reminded of how it all started in the manga all those years ago. The relationship between Elias and Chise will develop more as the show progresses, people being turned away from the initial setting really need to chill a bit. You don't even understand half of what happened to the poor girl before everything from this episode yet.
HESTIAAPPROVES
Oct 9, 2017 4:10 AM

Dec 2015
SO BEAUTIFUL SO MAGICAL SO MAGNIFICENT!!!

IN LOVE WITH THE OP AND ED OH WOW THAT OPENING THOOOOOOOO!

also chise is best girl of the season.
Oct 9, 2017 6:12 AM
Jun 2015
Am I the only one who thinks the OP song sounds like a Japanese Shakira? Lol nice first episode.
Oct 9, 2017 9:34 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
This first episode was a episode to dream, because the elements there were and now we have to watch how evolution them!!!!
Oct 9, 2017 9:47 AM
Jul 2014
Excellent ! This is so pretty and the jokes Elias makes are well ... kind of in contrast with his appearance ahah
Oct 9, 2017 10:44 AM

Oct 2017
Wit studio did a fantastic job with this first ep so far. Definitely my AOTS along with Sangatsu S2.
Oct 9, 2017 11:26 AM
Feb 2016
Kaze_Kitsune said:
This was really, really good.

The art, animation, music... all of it, really well done. The story is intriguing, too.

I don't know if it's a cultural thing but Chise basically being sold as a slave (I'm sure I can imagine what for) was uncomfortable for me.

Having Elias call her "puppy" and tell her that she's basically being groomed to be his bride, even though she's 15.... also uncomfortable.

Maybe it's just me.

She's selling herself, as you can see her signing herself away, because she just wants someone to go to after being unwanted by her family.
Also if you were thinking she was planning to sell her body, I have no idea what's going on in your mind, but that's horribly wrong. Watch the fucking episode again, it's clear.
bacontrarianOct 9, 2017 11:32 AM
Oct 9, 2017 2:35 PM
Jul 2017
Looks promising. Hoping for the best. Like the ED, the OP not so much.

It's so funny when the magus goes chibi.
...but then again, I unironically like Warau Salesman.
Pages (8) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mahoutsukai no Yome Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 23, 2018

266 by NotBonBon »»
Mar 24, 4:30 PM

Poll: » Mahoutsukai no Yome Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 3, 2018

81 by hales_comet »»
Feb 22, 8:24 PM

Poll: » Mahoutsukai no Yome Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

UrbanJahts - Jul 26, 2017

247 by hales_comet »»
Feb 21, 8:09 PM

Poll: » Mahoutsukai no Yome Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Nov 4, 2017

189 by satyamkumar4005 »»
Jan 12, 9:00 AM

Poll: » Mahoutsukai no Yome Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 2, 2017

119 by Thaliel »»
Dec 18, 2023 11:34 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.