Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
Oct 7, 2017 9:32 PM

Jun 2017
This was really, really good.

The art, animation, music... all of it, really well done. The story is intriguing, too.

I don't know if it's a cultural thing but Chise basically being sold as a slave (I'm sure I can imagine what for) was uncomfortable for me.

Having Elias call her "puppy" and tell her that she's basically being groomed to be his bride, even though she's 15.... also uncomfortable.

Maybe it's just me.
Oct 7, 2017 9:35 PM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Finally, my most anticipated show of the year has aired.
Brilliant episode to start things off for Mahoutsukai no Yome(the Ancient Magus's Bride). I'm truly glad to see that Wit has absolutely done a phenomenal job in terms of the animation as well as the adaption for this particular show. So far, it is as though this first episode was flawless really, with no issues with the Storyline, Sound Department, Animation and the Enjoyment sclae but just for insurance, I'll rate it a 9 now. I'm saddened to say this but it's fairly obvious by now that this animation quality will gradually fall but I just hope not too much.
Chise's past, as the episode began, was truly a painful watch with her signing to be in the auctions. Especially despised that auctioneer who convinced helpless Chise to go through this but considering the setting, it was a given. Elias walking into the stage was cool though and the 5 million pounds was a serious badass move and his demonstrations of magic was pretty cool too. It was relieving to see Chise decline the fairies offer and quote Elias that she was a part of his family as it was a heartfet realization to her that she was cherished. Speaking of the fairies, I was angered to see them trying to drag Chise into the 'fairyland' and trying to use her lack of family as a convincing reasoning for her to go. But well, Chise won the battle in the end so no genuine complaints there. After watching this episode, I'm curious as to who Elias really is and what the term given to her really all means. Preview for the next episode promises some heartwarming and funny moments to come, so can't wait to see how that fairs.

Overall, a brilliant, sensational and intriguing start to the series and I hope the show retains this brilliance. All the hype has paid off in superb fashion, and that enough is just a great feeling. Here's hoping for the very best to this show...
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Oct 7, 2017 9:40 PM

May 2015
Kaze_Kitsune said:

The art, animation, music... all of it, really well done. The story is intriguing, too.

I don't know if it's a cultural thing but Chise basically being sold as a slave (I'm sure I can imagine what for) was uncomfortable for me.

Having Elias call her "puppy" and tell her that she's basically being groomed to be his bride, even though she's 15.... also uncomfortable.

Maybe it's just me.

You're really gonna take it that seriously man? She's not real.

Oct 7, 2017 9:43 PM

Jun 2017
Kittens-kun said:
Kaze_Kitsune said:

Maybe it's just me.

You're right, because ideas and themes don't correlate to real life situations at all. My bad.
Oct 7, 2017 9:47 PM

May 2015
Kaze_Kitsune said:
Kittens-kun said:

You're right, because ideas and themes don't correlate to real life situations at all. My bad.

In this context, you're getting offended on behalf of a 2D anime girl. That doesn't seem odd to you? Plus, you can clearly see that he doesn't treat her like a human per or slave. If the character in question isn't bothered by it, then neither should you.

Oct 7, 2017 10:08 PM

Jul 2015
Ooooohhhhh now I think this will be good. Its kind of creepy and dark, will probably get super tragic later so I shall prepare my mind for that now, but the atmosphere and setting are gorgeous and very interesting, with a little derpy moments mixed in to lighten the mood. I want to know more about the characters and the world.
A Wild and Small Otaku has Appeared!
Oct 7, 2017 10:09 PM

Jul 2016
hm.. i expected it to be much more, how should i say it.. dark? i thought that the marriage would have been forced and that the mage was going to be menancing
Oct 7, 2017 10:14 PM

Jul 2017
The first three episodes that were showed at the screening were OVAs? Never knew, good to know, anyways, the first episode definitely gave us a good taste of what we'll be getting arts-wise with the STUNNING animation and art-style. I'm looking forward to 24 episodes.
Gintama > One Piece = Naruto > Bleach > DBZ

Nyanko Big is my spirit animal.
Oct 7, 2017 11:06 PM
Oct 2016
Beautifully animated + the soundtrack has wonderful ambience (the forest scene was especially atmospheric) + intriguing world design. Only gripe I have with it so far is Chise - I don't quite like her immaturity but then again, it's understandable for her age. It's good that they've given themselves some room for character development, so I'm interested to see how she grows (I hope she does).
Oct 7, 2017 11:17 PM

Jun 2016
Amazing animation/art and sound. Everything in the anime fits the fantasy setting and we just need to wait for the plot to unravel. I'm trying to hold back from spoiling myself with the manga because of how beautifully everything is presented in the anime. AARGH!

Oct 7, 2017 11:18 PM

Jul 2012
I like the way Elias is drawn in the comedy bits, and Chise is cute.

I had an uneasy feeling about her whole situation throughout the whole episode, but I probably should let my guard down since Elias is a main character :P
Oct 7, 2017 11:22 PM

Nov 2012
A little rapey, but cool stuff so far.
Jaywalker.
Oct 7, 2017 11:43 PM
Jul 2018
This show is far better then i expected. Art, soundtrack and story looks nice.
Oct 7, 2017 11:46 PM

Nov 2014
Woah this is better than i thought. i was seriously wanting to drop after seeing the beginning, what with the slavery and such, i hate stories that involves slavery, or the mc being treated like scum and having no rights no way to fight back, no chance to escape. But Chise was actually rescued by her "buyer" and is gonna become an apprentice to a seemingly pretty strong mage. Interesting.
Oct 7, 2017 11:55 PM
♡( •ॢ◡-ॢ)✧˖° ♡

Dec 2014
So mysteriously magical as usual, it's nice to know what actually happens to Chise like why spirits are attracted to her.

Elias is bold as he just said that he proposed to a slave girl he just bought, like that side of him. Lucky Chise^^

(っ◔◡◔)っ 𝓘 𝔀𝓲𝓼𝓱 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝓪𝓵𝓵 𝓱𝓪𝓿𝓮 𝓪 𝔀𝓸𝓷𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓯𝓾𝓵 𝓭𝓪𝔂 ♥
Oct 8, 2017 12:01 AM

Dec 2013
Enjoyable beginning. I’m really enjoying Chise so far.

Ending got wtf but it does explain the title.
Oct 8, 2017 12:11 AM

Jun 2016
even from the 1 episode... its clearly that this is gonna be amazing... like made in abyss...

Oct 8, 2017 12:29 AM
Jul 2017
I forgot when was the last time I've watched an anime where I've been so excited to see what's in store for the next episode... I have high hopes for this one and I am looking forward on what's in store to be unfold on the upcoming episodes.

Elias was such a charm, I didn't see him to have a cheeky playful side despite him being serious and kind most of the time in the first episode as well as what we've seen on the OVA before.

Chise, we need to protect this precious cinnamon roll.
Oct 8, 2017 12:37 AM

Jun 2016
Ohmygod. I'm already in love and hooked. Heeelp! Watching the OVA first is a very good thing since we get to know Chise's backstory. She's like our female Takashi Natsume and she must be protected.

Been waiting for this fucking anime for months and it fucking delivered!

Elias. Fucking Elias. I'm already in love with Elias. Holy shit that voice. He reminds me a lot of V from V for Vendetta then Chise is Natalie Portman's character. Gaaaaaah. I already ship them two so much. I was screaming inside when they have intense moments. Hehe.

Apparently, he won Chise for an auction and decided to make her his apprentice then he welcome her as his family. I'm dyiiing at that bath scene. Lmfao. He saw everything. Pffffft!

I find Elias "funny" version to be so hilarious. Ugh. Chise's gonna be his wife. Waaah. Lucky!

Those ariels cannot be trusted. Holy shit. I trusted y'all! Lmao.

The long wait was so worth it. Waaaaah! Can't wait for the next episode. ❤

9/10 already for this anime because reasons and thank you so much, Wit Studio!

"Maybe he's trying to take a shit, but the shit just won't come out."
Captain Levi, 2014
(/^-^)/☆♪♪☆\(^0^\)
Oct 8, 2017 12:37 AM

Sep 2016
after catching up with those OVA's ...damn this episode still felt like a new breathtaking and exciting experience to watch loved how they introduced the characters and setting im really looking forward to this anime all in favor of potential top anime of the season?
Facta Non Verba
Oct 8, 2017 12:48 AM

Aug 2017
I watched OVA first and got hooked immediately. I was really looking forward to first episode of the series and it definetely didn't disappoint. The artwork and animation are beautiful as well as music. It seems like a really good start and I'll be watching this show for sure.
Oct 8, 2017 1:00 AM

Jul 2013
ugh, i love this show but the whole "bride" aspect makes me so uncomfortable... i want to drop this show already but everything else about it i love ://
Oct 8, 2017 1:13 AM

Dec 2015
I love this anime already. It doesn’t give the usual fantasy vibe I get in many anime, it’s more similar to fantasy books (like Fablehaven for example).
•••Everyone wants to connect with someone else•••
~Kiznaiver
Oct 8, 2017 1:14 AM
Jul 2018
Watashi wa kokooooooooooo
real flamenco hours

God I was in love from the start.
Oct 8, 2017 1:14 AM

Dec 2016
One of a kind anime, an enlightened folklore book with interesting characters, becoming alive, best anime 2017.
Oct 8, 2017 1:19 AM

Dec 2008
The fuck is Sleigh Beggy LMAO
It's Slay Vega.
Oct 8, 2017 2:00 AM

Jul 2014
Well, I can only say that this was an absolutely brilliant first episode that easily managed to live up to all the hype. It's so plain to see the quality of this series already, and it's already going to be the series I most look forward to on a weekly basis.
Oct 8, 2017 2:10 AM

Apr 2017
I think I'm in love with the opening. But honestly, this anime is probably going to be the best anime of Fall 2017 as of right now. I really look forward to this anime. The story seems very interesting, characters just have that "personality" which a lot of shows don't have and it defines them. The art is beautiful and as I said the opening could easily win the opening of the season award.
Oct 8, 2017 2:36 AM

Jun 2013
Well I definitely won't be reading any more of these episode threads. I swear at least 3 people threw out obvious spoilers already, and I only read 2 pages.

People need to use their fucking heads. Hinting at something or being sad about something that happens later on is still a spoiler.
Oct 8, 2017 3:14 AM

Apr 2015
This one really surprised me.
I went in blind watching this series and I`m already intrigued by all the things they have shown us so far.

Last season was Made in Abyss
and I hope this time, It`s this. Cause it`s definitely my anime of the season right now.

PLS DONT DROP IN QUALITY
I DONT WANT TO BE FILLED WITH REGRET LATER ON
Oct 8, 2017 3:23 AM

Jun 2016
fishpun said:
ugh, i love this show but the whole "bride" aspect makes me so uncomfortable... i want to drop this show already but everything else about it i love ://

I haven't read the manga, but I don't actually believe that Elias uses that word in the same manner humans do. If anything, they look more of a father/daughter sorta relationship to me, and even if a wedding would come, I don't think it would be too romance involved, at least not before Hatori grows up more. The way the bath scene unfolded, it's obvious he doesn't believe of her as his wife, yet.

Oct 8, 2017 3:31 AM

Feb 2014
After having watched the 3 OVA's in the last week, my expectations for the TV series has risen a lot due to how well Wit Studio did the OVA's as a whole.

Thankfully, episode one really delivered with its lovely atmosphere, clean and beautiful art, smooth animation and a really stellar soundtrack. It matches the OVA's quality-wise, so I'm really happy with it. =D

And with it being 24 episodes, I'm sure that this will me a memorable roller-coaster of a show that I'm looking forward to a lot. =3
Oct 8, 2017 3:39 AM

Dec 2016
OVA - Best anime 2017

Episode - Best anime 2017
Oct 8, 2017 4:01 AM

Aug 2012
Very nice first episode. Art and animation on point.
Oct 8, 2017 4:18 AM

Apr 2015
500?? Was expecting 20000 or so :(

Good premier, felt full of class all episode and looks like it will get better too

One thing I'm curious about is why do the Japanese like 'Ainsworth' as a name for their characters that much? Never really saw it in real life, outside of anime...
Oct 8, 2017 4:21 AM

May 2015
Epicenter said:
A little rapey, but cool stuff so far.

Rapey? What are you talking about?

Oct 8, 2017 4:25 AM

Feb 2015
I dislike both OP and ED. Everything else is wonderfully done.

Oct 8, 2017 5:20 AM

Feb 2016
I'm really sure this Anime is going to be a part of my top 10 soon. The first episode was already amazing. I can't wait for more. :)

I will not believe that everything is controlled by fate.

ll X ll
Oct 8, 2017 5:25 AM

Jun 2016
I mean, i liked it but i expected it to be a *little* better because i personally liked the ovas more. However this is only the first episode so i can't be critical yet, and god Chise's so cute ♥
Oct 8, 2017 6:00 AM

Apr 2015
fishpun said:

That's the point the show is trying to make by framing Elias and this whole relationship in both a good yet creepy light. Just know that the author very well knows what she is doing there.
Oct 8, 2017 6:19 AM

Oct 2015
Dem, this is totally exceed my expectation. Cool Opening song, awesome art. Everything is well done.
Oct 8, 2017 6:25 AM

Nov 2012
This episode covered all that I read of the manga aka chapter 1 lol.

Hmm this being 2 cour not sure if I want to watch it,I'll give it 6 episodes before deciding to drop.
Oct 8, 2017 6:32 AM

Jul 2013
Fappa said:
fishpun said:

That's the point the show is trying to make by framing Elias and this whole relationship in both a good yet creepy light. Just know that the author very well knows what she is doing there.

oh, that's actually reassuring to know, thank you! :D

is it ever a point of contention within the series itself then? even if subtly... because the idea of it itself is fine to me if it's being critiqued on some level, but if it's just completely unquestioned in the show... :( i can and will still watch it so long as the romance isn't pushed too hard but i don't know if i could handle watching them being shipped hardcore as a legit couple >.>
Oct 8, 2017 6:37 AM

Dec 2014
Such a beautiful and captivating story. I fell in love with the OVAs and I'm happy that the tv series so far is keeping up the good quality. Considering it's two cours I wonder if they will be able to mantain it till the end; but so far I'm very pleased with what they offered us.
Oct 8, 2017 7:36 AM

Dec 2015
cronoSpirA said:
Kougeru said:

Sleigh Beggy is actually the correct way, and was how the OFFICIAL English release had it, I thought? Technically it should be "Sleih Beggey" if we want to get really accurate. Either way, "Sleigh beggy" is far more correct then "slay vega"

https://anime.stackexchange.com/questions/23149/what-is-a-slay-vega
thanks for clearing my confusion, so its more accurate term for slay vega, maybe thw fanlations used it cause it sounds cool

well im confused as well , and true that slay vega sounds cooler . sleigh beggy it is then
Oct 8, 2017 7:52 AM

Dec 2015
kanekeren said:
KiritoXAsuna4evr said:
BOOOORING. All this show has done so far is shove it in your face how bad you should feel for the special snowflake protag because apparently, the whole universe is against her and everything that could go wrong does. What a waste of animation. Dropped.

I'm sorry, what? This didn't do that at all.
But then again I looked at your username and saw what great taste you have.

@KiritoXAsuna4evr
its just 1 episode yet you already dropped it ,you clearly dont know what is a bad and good anime. looking at your anime list as well and look only 7 anime so lol , and always 10 to SAO , clearly an sao fanboy. and i bet you dont even read the novel yet giving it a 10. even steins gate will be given low score because he can't understand a single thing.
i dont care if you love sao and giving it a 10 but dont give a good anime a bad score just because you didnt understand it and its still 1 episode.
ExeternaOct 8, 2017 8:05 AM
Oct 8, 2017 8:52 AM

Mar 2010
Just finished episode and it was all I could have wanted from it and more. Extremely captivating all the way through and it nailed the mood of manga so well. The OP is already one of the best of year (if not the best) while it ED itself is pretty strong. While not quite to level of OVAs the animation is very good and considering the studio behind it I have little worry it won't be consistent for the most part.
Oct 8, 2017 8:54 AM
Feb 2016
Exeterna said:
kanekeren said:

I'm sorry, what? This didn't do that at all.
But then again I looked at your username and saw what great taste you have.

@KiritoXAsuna4evr
its just 1 episode yet you already dropped it ,you clearly dont know what is a bad and good anime. looking at your anime list as well and look only 7 anime so lol , and always 10 to SAO , clearly an sao fanboy. and i bet you dont even read the novel yet giving it a 10. even steins gate will be given low score because he can't understand a single thing.
i dont care if you love sao and giving it a 10 but dont give a good anime a bad score just because you didnt understand it and its still 1 episode.

lol they even gave the Sword Art Offline chibi specials a 10. either way, did I watch the same first episode as them, or were they just not paying attention to anything?
Oct 8, 2017 9:02 AM

Apr 2015
fishpun said:

oh, that's actually reassuring to know, thank you! :D

is it ever a point of contention within the series itself then? even if subtly... because the idea of it itself is fine to me if it's being critiqued on some level, but if it's just completely unquestioned in the show... :( i can and will still watch it so long as the romance isn't pushed too hard but i don't know if i could handle watching them being shipped hardcore as a legit couple >.>

As far as I know Elias's whole intent and their relationship is put into question due to how others perceive him. He is seen as creepy, he is described as evil by some and he lacks general understanding on what even terms like bride, family etc mean since he's a very isolated species. It's up to Chise to slowly find her way behind this skull of his and see how he truly is and on top of that to teach him the values of the thing he speaks about. So yeah it's very much criticized within the show itself.

The ariels, the fairies should've given you an idea on how every creature, may it look as gentle and beautiful as it can, could actually have a very vicious and dangerous side to it and that's something the show is very self aware about.
Oct 8, 2017 9:12 AM

May 2015
A little slow but overall, a decent start. Art, animation and voice acting were great too.
Not a fan of the whole "bride" thing given that Chise is just 16 and god knows how old Elias is... Imagine if the genders were reversed lol.
Pages (8) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mahoutsukai no Yome Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 23, 2018

266 by NotBonBon »»
Mar 24, 4:30 PM

Poll: » Mahoutsukai no Yome Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 3, 2018

81 by hales_comet »»
Feb 22, 8:24 PM

Poll: » Mahoutsukai no Yome Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

UrbanJahts - Jul 26, 2017

247 by hales_comet »»
Feb 21, 8:09 PM

Poll: » Mahoutsukai no Yome Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Nov 4, 2017

189 by satyamkumar4005 »»
Jan 12, 9:00 AM

Poll: » Mahoutsukai no Yome Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 2, 2017

119 by Thaliel »»
Dec 18, 2023 11:34 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.