Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Land of the Lustrous
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Oct 7, 2017 5:49 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Well this was interesting. Even though this anime's visual quality is a bit different compared to some of the other Fall shows, it doesn't feel distracting and in fact distinctive.

First episode also introduces the main world and the existence of Gems. The importance of these gems are recognized pretty well.

Action wise, I think this show did its job. Again, I think this show has potential based on the first epsiode.
Oct 7, 2017 6:33 AM
May 2015
Houseki no Kuni's first episode was awesome, the animation was really good as expected from Orange.

Despite the CG, I liked the first episode of this series and I hope more people give this series a chance and do not let the CG turn you off for not wanting to watch it.Also one last thing it is not a Steven Universe ripoff nor inspired by the cartoon because the manga aired before Steven Universe came on television. Just want to point it out before someone comments about it.
Oct 7, 2017 7:22 AM
Oct 2017
The pace is kinda forced and eat quite some chapters but okay

and so WINTER ARC CONFIRMED
Oct 7, 2017 10:35 AM

Mar 2017
Dyering said:

I WANT TO SEE ANTARC TOO ;3 but how can you be so sure?

Overall, CGI was done better than I thought. I like the first ep. Just introduction so nothing really happens. Waiting for Diamond, my baby~
janadestinyOct 7, 2017 12:45 PM
English is not my native language. Sorry for my poor choice of words and crappy grammar.
Oct 7, 2017 10:48 AM
Dec 2015
janadestiny said:
Dyering said:

I WANT TO SEE ANTARC TOO ;3 but how can you be so sure?

Well, episode 1 covered the first two chapters of volume 1, so assuming that they cover two chapters per episode, at this rate chapter 14 (when the Winter Arc begins) will start by episode 7.
Oct 7, 2017 12:22 PM

Feb 2016
Wooow man, that was awesome, this animation is so beautiful... and the soundtracks sounds great
i'm definetley hyped
Oct 7, 2017 12:47 PM

Oct 2014
dope as hell.
Finally, CGI used in a creative way, not just as a cost-saving measure.
Also, anyone else getting Kemono Friends vibes from this? The CGI, anthropomorphized characters, and a mysterious setting.
RebelPandaOct 7, 2017 1:23 PM
Oct 7, 2017 1:00 PM

Sep 2015
Was always interested in this ever since the first trailer dropped and so far I'm impressed... at least with the visuals and story. The CGI is the best I've seen for a fully CGI anime (not counting Gantz:0), story has some potential and the characters do seem interesting and fun to watch. Only problem I have with it is the pacing as it felt kind of rushed at times. If that continues might just drop for the manga, but for now sticking with it.
Oct 7, 2017 1:01 PM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
HOLY CGI! Really beautiful actually, i always wanted to look at that rather than at the subtitles.

Story seems fairly straightforward, liking the gem stuff, how they can break and that you can lose memories once you break and too many parts are lost.

Phos is a very fun main character, she's quite the cheeky one :D
Oct 7, 2017 1:19 PM

Sep 2007
RebelPanda said:
dope as hell.
Also, anyone else getting Kemono Friends vibes from this? The CGI, anthropomorphized ladies, and a mysterious setting.

There's no ladies here, jem people are genderless
Oct 7, 2017 1:22 PM

Oct 2014
Rahkshilord said:
RebelPanda said:
dope as hell.
Also, anyone else getting Kemono Friends vibes from this? The CGI, anthropomorphized ladies, and a mysterious setting.

There's no ladies here, jem people are genderless

Whoa, I guess I didn't pick up on that when I watched it. I just assumed based on the voices without really thinking about it.
Thanks for pointing that out for me.
Oct 7, 2017 1:32 PM

Aug 2015
Thank God the director knows how to use CG. The fights scenes were beautifully shot, the character designs lend themselves well to CG, and the crystal and liquid effects were gorgeous. Can't wait to see where the story goes from here.
Oct 7, 2017 1:33 PM

Sep 2007
RebelPanda said:
Whoa, I guess I didn't pick up on that when I watched it. I just assumed based on the voices without really thinking about it.
Thanks for pointing that out for me.

I only know because of the manga so...
Oct 7, 2017 2:35 PM
May 2015
That was great, I really like their hair. Definitely looking forward to watching this anime. It's pretty cool that they're genderless but if you didn't know that someone will assume they're girls.
Oct 7, 2017 2:43 PM

Oct 2013
I'm really glad that the 3DCG is decent and captures the style of the manga pretty, even though I'd still prefer traditional animation.

I'm not sure if I like that there's so much emphasis on the relationship between Phosphophyllite and Cinnabar, but I think they rearranged the plot of the manga pretty well, not to mention a couple of small, cute additions. And I'm really glad that people who sub this remember to use singular "they"!

The VAs and the music are pretty good, too.

Overall, it was great to see the first episode of what seems like a good adaptation of one of my favourite manga series. Can't wait for the next one!
AirsaberOct 7, 2017 2:53 PM
Oct 7, 2017 3:01 PM

Aug 2014
its weird but im kinda into it
Oct 7, 2017 3:17 PM

Jun 2015
Am I the only one who was reminded of NieR:Automata? Has that kind of feel with the way the characters and world work.

Also, the scene where Shinsha almost fell in the water was shot kinda weirdly. Had to watch twice to realize he grabbed the cliff with his other hand.

Oct 7, 2017 3:30 PM

Jul 2010
Was waiting for the anime for a while. So I thought it was great. Tho couldn't help but laugh when Cinnabar "puked"
Oct 7, 2017 3:34 PM

Oct 2013
EGamerozo said:
Was waiting for the anime for a while. So I thought it was great. Tho couldn't help but laugh when Cinnabar "puked"

Haha, yeah, that was unexpected.

ShadowMonkey said:
Also, the scene where Shinsha almost fell in the water was shot kinda weirdly. Had to watch twice to realize he grabbed the cliff with his other hand.

You may want to use singular "they", since gems in HnK are genderless. :)
Oct 7, 2017 4:06 PM

Nov 2016
Wonderful. I love 3D animation, and this one's special.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 7, 2017 4:08 PM

Jun 2015
Airsaber said:

They use masculine Japanese honorifics in the show so I think I'm gonna stick with "he"
Oct 7, 2017 4:09 PM
Jul 2018
Finally GCI I really like. Tbh I didn't follow some of the subtitles, because I was distracted by their gorgeous hair. :'D
Okay, they aren't supposed to have sex and gender, but they look all like girls to me tbh. However... ^^"
It's so weird ... and I kinda like it? Especially the battle was so weird, but some parts in me said: I love that.XD
Oct 7, 2017 4:15 PM

Oct 2013
ShadowMonkey said:
Airsaber said:

They use masculine Japanese honorifics in the show so I think I'm gonna stick with "he"

Pronouns from the koitsu/soitsu/aitsu series aren't gendered...
Oct 7, 2017 4:16 PM

Jul 2010
Maneki-Mew said:

Okay, they aren't supposed to have sex and gender, but they look all like girls to me tbh.

Adamant knows what the viewers want |:^) (Since he is the one that "crafted" them)
Oct 7, 2017 4:20 PM
Jul 2018
EGamerozo said:
Maneki-Mew said:

Okay, they aren't supposed to have sex and gender, but they look all like girls to me tbh.

Adamant knows what the viewers want |:^) (Since he is the one that "crafted" them)

Especially the hair. :D "I might be an anthromorphic creature, but I have gorgeous gem hair." - some of them, maybe. XD

Oct 7, 2017 4:22 PM

Jul 2010
Maneki-Mew said:

Especially the hair. :D "I might be an anthromorphic creature, but I have gorgeous gem hair." - some of them, maybe. XD

kekekeke. To be fair the "hair" is the one thing they get to "choose" how it looks like.
Oct 7, 2017 4:32 PM

Jun 2014
The CG is nice and all, but the story and its premise are trash.
Oct 7, 2017 4:36 PM

Jun 2015
This was an interesting first episode. The CGI is pretty good. It works well with the show. Phos is a quirky character. I like that. Phos is trying their best to prove themselves. Got to know about them and the world.
Oct 7, 2017 4:44 PM

Jun 2015
Airsaber said:
ShadowMonkey said:

Umm they used "kare" multiple times
Oct 7, 2017 4:45 PM

Feb 2013
The visual style is very pretty and unique.

The action/invasion reminded me of Noein.

Great start!
Oct 7, 2017 4:47 PM
Jan 2016
I did not expect the interactions between characters to be so realistic. It's a very nice surprise, reminded me of Ghibli's. Impressive job from the writer. And the pacing was unexpectedly slow. I did not mind, but I was expecting it to be a bit faster based on the PVs.

EGamerozo said:
Tho couldn't help but laugh when Cinnabar "puked"

Oh, yeah. That puke scene was a bit awkward. It's a bit out of nowhere, her face when puking was a bit confusing(it's like she's surprised & at the same time wanted to show Phos when she's puking?), & after the puke we did not get to see her face afterwards so that at least we know what's the deal with the puke.

ShadowMonkey said:
Am I the only one who was reminded of NieR:Automata? Has that kind of feel with the way the characters and world work.

Maybe it's because of the character's "outfit" with the black & tight thing. As for anything else, it's barely similar.

Yeah. Some shots were a bit awkwardly composed & edited. If there's one bad thing I would say about the first episode, it's the directing.

m-i-c-h-a-e-l said:
The CG is nice and all, but the story and its premise are trash.

The story & the premise? What's bad about it?
Oct 7, 2017 4:48 PM

May 2015
Just like usual, and with any other full CGI shows, I think it'll take a little bit of time for me to get used to it. Although, it was actually quite decent in that department.

Interesting show so far. Might turn out to be a decent watch.

Oct 7, 2017 5:03 PM

Jul 2010
TheServant said:
And the pacing was unexpectedly slow. I did not mind, but I was expecting it to be a bit faster based on the PVs.

EGamerozo said:
Tho couldn't help but laugh when Cinnabar "puked"

Oh, yeah. That puke scene was a bit awkward. It's a bit out of nowhere, her face when puking was a bit confusing(it's like she's surprised & at the same time wanted to show Phos when she's puking?), & after the puke we did not get to see her face afterwards so that at least we know what's the deal with the puke.

I mean the series is actually really slow. So the pacing I wasn't caught off guard.

The puke scene was really awkward had to go re-read the chapter in the manga since it was so long that I had completely forgot Cinnabar had puked, because Cinnabar never does anything similar at all for the rest of the series. in fact after reading the chapter again, the entire Cinnabar scene in the anime feels kinda awkward. Was even missing the part where Cinnabar thought "it was fine.. [to die] " when they failed to grab on to the cliff.
Oct 7, 2017 5:03 PM

Nov 2012
I have to say that I really enjoy this so far. It's another nice surprise from this season. CGI in anime has gotten a whole lot better in recent years and this really shows that CGI can be a good thing when used correctly.
Oct 7, 2017 5:11 PM

Oct 2013
ShadowMonkey said:
Airsaber said:

And yet only scanlations refer to them as male (or, early on, as female). Oh well, whatever floats your boat. I think that it's pretty awesome to have a series in which most characters are genderless, and I think that it would be sad to not acknowledge this.
Oct 7, 2017 5:19 PM

Jun 2015
TheServant said:

ShadowMonkey said:

Maybe it's because of the character's "outfit" with the black & tight thing. As for anything else, it's barely similar.

I meant how their purpose in life is to fight and get destroyed over and over again, being able to get repaired only if they keep a vital part of their body. Fighting off a force from another planet for hundreds of years to no avail. Also, the way they don't actually have a gender and all have a very strict duty to work and fight kind of reminds me of YoRHa. And I don't mean completely, just a bit
Oct 7, 2017 5:23 PM

Jun 2015
Airsaber said:
ShadowMonkey said:

And yet only scanlations refer to them as male (or, early on, as female). Oh well, whatever floats your boat. I think that it's pretty awesome to have a series in which most characters are genderless, and I think that it would be sad to not acknowledge this.
I am acknowledging the fact that they're genderless, but if they use male pronouns for each other in their society, I'm gonna use them too. Also, I think the MAL bios also use "he"
Oct 7, 2017 5:30 PM
Jan 2016
EGamerozo said:
I mean the series is actually really slow. So the pacing I wasn't caught off guard.

The puke scene was really awkward had to go re-read the chapter in the manga since it was so long that I had completely forgot Cinnabar had puked, because Cinnabar never does anything similar at all for the rest of the series.

That's probably because you're coming from the original source. As someone who only watched the PVs before the first episode, it caught me off guard. Because the PVs focused too much on the action scenes & how fast the cut between one scene after another. In short, the PVs kind of tricked the audience. I might be fine with the slow pace in the end, but not sure about others who came expecting a faster-paced anime because of the PVs.

Oh, really? Interesting. Maybe the puke was a foreshadowing for the ending? Because the manga itself has not finished, right?

ShadowMonkey said:
I meant how their purpose in life is to fight and get destroyed over and over again, being able to get repaired only if they keep a vital part of their body. Fighting off a force from another planet for hundreds of years to no avail. Also, the way they don't actually have a gender and all have a very strict duty to work and fight kind of reminds me of YoRHa. And I don't mean completely, just a bit

Hm . . . I can see that, a bit.
Oct 7, 2017 5:38 PM
Jul 2018
This is the best CGI stuff at a finest level that I watched! that was so amazing to watch! Also nice to see its actually adaptation of a good manga so that I can safely hope that this won't go any downhill later(unless it shows up super original ending). This is something good stuff to watch.

Oct 7, 2017 5:40 PM

Jul 2010
TheServant said:

That's probably because you're coming from the original source. As someone who only watched the PVs before the first episode, it caught me off guard. Because the PVs focused too much on the action scenes & how fast the cut between one scene after another. In short, the PVs kind of tricked the audience. I might be fine with the slow pace in the end, but not sure about others who came expecting a faster-paced anime because of the PVs.

Oh, really? Interesting. Maybe the puke was a foreshadowing for the ending? Because the manga itself has not finished, right?

Oh I know. I was too hyped about the series, and personally laughing my ass off at how misleading the PV was, to actually say anything about it. So I get it. Completely understandable for someone to think otherwise about the series.

I mean I don't actually think it was foreshadowing at all. Given the time span of the series thus far.(Not really a spoiler at all, but Phos is the youngest character and is 300 y/o at the start of it.)
Oct 7, 2017 5:59 PM

Feb 2015
I loved the first episode and the animation surpassed my expectations, good start.
Oct 7, 2017 6:05 PM

Aug 2013
So this might actually be the unique anime of the season...like it feels very different from all the other shows I've sampled so far. But the only thing that's bothering me is the fact that they are considered genderless when the gems all act feminine than anything. I mean, what is this to make SJWs or Millennials feel happy? But other than that, a solid 6/10. Let's see where it goes.
Don't believe the hype.
Oct 7, 2017 6:10 PM

Jul 2010
Zantius said:
But the only thing that's bothering me is the fact that they are considered genderless when the gems all act feminine than anything.

Honestly most people who like the series(i.e. the manga) don't care and call them whatever they want, since that part as a whole is insignificant in the grand scheme of things(outside of one joke early on).
Oct 7, 2017 6:26 PM

Jan 2017
Zantius said:
So this might actually be the unique anime of the season...like it feels very different from all the other shows I've sampled so far. But the only thing that's bothering me is the fact that they are considered genderless when the gems all act feminine than anything. I mean, what is this to make SJWs or Millennials feel happy? But other than that, a solid 6/10. Let's see where it goes.

They're genderless because they lack genitals and have no concept of gender, especially in a later part where

Most people don't care what pronouns you use for the gems as long as you acknowledge they don't have genders.
redpandagirlOct 7, 2017 6:29 PM
Oct 7, 2017 6:33 PM

Jun 2011
Surprisingly good! Everything was beautiful, especially Phos' expressions.
Oct 7, 2017 6:37 PM

Dec 2016
That was rather interesting to watch and I found it surprisingly good too.

The animation is a very different style to me but I liked it.

Tough job that doctor has, she has to constantly keep putting these gem girls back together, looks like a lot of fighting to continue in the next episode.
Oct 7, 2017 6:56 PM

Aug 2014
This is different, in like every way. Very nice. Phos is cute. Dia must be OP.
Sieg Zeon!
Oct 7, 2017 6:59 PM

Jul 2010
QuattroVaginas said:
Dia must be OP.

Oct 7, 2017 7:18 PM
Jan 2017
OMG a cgi anime that is not complete shit. I mean the poison effects suck, but the design and action are decent.
Oct 7, 2017 7:24 PM

May 2014
Surprised to see such a nice looking CG anime that isn't being made by SANZIGEN.

This episode definitely exceeded my expectations, I've completely taken the hook. Looking forward to seeing where this goes.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Houseki no Kuni (TV) Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 23, 2017

314 by AllSeeingAnime »»
Mar 9, 8:50 PM

» Not at 500,000 viewers after 6 years :(

ghier - Dec 2, 2023

29 by APolygons2 »»
Feb 11, 12:24 PM

Poll: » Houseki no Kuni (TV) Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 11, 2017

147 by JoestarEISH_020 »»
Dec 4, 2023 8:29 PM

Poll: » Houseki no Kuni (TV) Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Nov 4, 2017

98 by JoestarEISH_020 »»
Dec 2, 2023 8:27 PM

Poll: » Houseki no Kuni (TV) Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Oct 28, 2017

108 by JoestarEISH_020 »»
Dec 2, 2023 7:59 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.