Forum Settings
Forums
New
Oct 2, 2017 2:42 AM

Aug 2017
Going around the forums, I sometimes see people say "I hate moe", "Moe needs to die" etc. As someone who got into anime by cute moe characters, I find it hard to understand why people hate this character art style, or even reasons why people like anime other than the moe art.

So for the moe haters, can you explain?
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Oct 2, 2017 2:45 AM

Nov 2016
I would like to know too. A few of my favourites have moe aspects.
Oct 2, 2017 2:46 AM

Apr 2016
Because most of the Moe shows are done in a not right way.
Oct 2, 2017 2:47 AM
Jul 2018
If everyone had the same taste in anime. We'll have no nerd for forums.

For me, I don't mind moé
Oct 2, 2017 2:48 AM

Mar 2016
Most moe shows are pretty boring, but when done right it can be really good in my opinion. Stuff like acchi kocchi felt like getting smackt with sugar.
Oct 2, 2017 2:51 AM

Jan 2010
Not a hater but anime with overly moe characters is just not my cup of tea.
What's the limitation of moe though? I like Chuunibyou, Suzumiya Haruhi and NagiAsu. All of them are moe right? But I don't really like Lucky Star, Nichijou and Yuru Yuri.

So in the end it's more to do with story, in my case. Not the moe itself. As long as I find the art attractive, moe or not, I'll like it.
Oct 2, 2017 2:52 AM
Jul 2018
Because some people just have shit taste. I can still get moe haters more than mecha haters tho, those are just... yeah.
Oct 2, 2017 2:57 AM

Aug 2014
Swagernator said:
Because most of the Moe shows are done in a not right way.

NisekoiNisekoiNisekoiNisekoiNisekoiNisekoiNisekoiNisekoiNisekoiNisekoiNisekoiNisekoiNisekoiNisekoiNisekoi

Goddamn maybe its the only manga i gave 2 so far in my whole life.
I felt like reading 1-3 chapter then skip to ending when i read it.
Oct 2, 2017 2:58 AM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
Because some people have no class

moe is the most refined entertainment out there, the true thinking man's type of anime

Oct 2, 2017 3:04 AM

Feb 2016
because shows that have to rely on that type of aesthetic usually dont have much to offer in any other aspect, in other words its a way to make your show sell with minimal effort

as for me? they are boring af and the high pitched voices range from annoying to unbearable

Oshii is probably the only director that loves dogs. He thinks he's a dog himself.

That's right, its slime! It will dissolve your clothing slowly before my eyes!

Oct 2, 2017 3:08 AM

Apr 2016
SpaghettiSpike said:
they are boring af and the high pitched voices range from annoying to unbearable

Ehm, moe that's not just cute girls doing cute stuff. TTGL is also moe for example.
Oct 2, 2017 3:10 AM

Feb 2016
Swagernator said:
SpaghettiSpike said:
they are boring af and the high pitched voices range from annoying to unbearable

Ehm, moe that's not just cute girls doing cute stuff. TTGL is also moe for example.

well, the typical and most popular definition certainly doesnt count TTGL as moe, but I agree it has some moe characters in it. Might call it a nice exception but im not a fan of this specific aspect of the show anyway

Oshii is probably the only director that loves dogs. He thinks he's a dog himself.

That's right, its slime! It will dissolve your clothing slowly before my eyes!

Oct 2, 2017 3:20 AM

Oct 2014
Azefan said:
Japan is the culture of cute! The serious dark realistic anime are the exceptions not the rule!

Most who hate moe are westerners or edgy kids demanding gore cause "muh anime ain't for kids!"

Well sorry kiddos, Moe is considered more mature than your "gore" shonens, and that is A FACT!

Yes there are Mature Moe out there like non-non biyori.

Sadly, most of them have bad writing just like these edgelord shows.
Oct 2, 2017 3:23 AM

Sep 2012
When it's just a side thing (1 or 2 characters), I guess it's fine 'cuz it brings some fluff to the show. When it's the entire thing? It's cringey, boring and just flat out annoying to watch, so I skip.
Oct 2, 2017 3:24 AM

Apr 2017
Can someone tell me what TTGL refer to?

I think moe is not their taste, i myself enjoy it as normal.
Life isn't as fun and easy as anime.
Watch anime to bring that fun!!
Oct 2, 2017 3:25 AM

Feb 2010
Most of these people are more focused on plot and can't just allow a few adorable and fun characters to carry a show without much of a plot.
I probably regret this post by now.
Oct 2, 2017 3:26 AM

Jan 2009
because its gay thats what they say
like wanting cute things is decreasing your hypermasculinity or something lol
Jul 2018
CrallyLystia said:
Can someone tell me what TTGL refer to?
It's short for Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann.

Jun 2015
Manaban said:
Because some people have no class

moe is the most refined entertainment out there, the true thinking man's type of anime

Nah, that's iyashikei. I mean sure they tend to overlap,but the truly refined needs no shock value or tons of action to appeal.
Oct 2, 2017 4:08 AM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
because they arent men of culture

Probably because it makes people feel unmanly, or immature, similarly to why they complain about certain types of fanservice

And unfortunately much of the anime community is desperate to come off as "badass"

Oct 2, 2017 6:00 AM

Sep 2017
Darek said:
Because some people just have shit taste. I can still get moe haters more than mecha haters tho, those are just... yeah.

Nah in my case I know a lot of mecha haters than moe haters. They rated sonico, gochumon, yuruyuri and some other moe thingy a 10 while dropping mecha and hating it and rating it 1. It is one of the reason I disconnected myself with my former anime friends.
"When you made this thread, I cried and screamed"

-Swagernator 2017
Oct 2, 2017 6:01 AM

Apr 2015
Tencent__Weeb said:
If everyone had the same taste in anime. We'll have no nerd for forums.

For me, I don't mind moé

Your right, all we'd have is a bunch of casual plebs on forums.
"I'd take rampant lesbianism over nuclear armageddon or a supervolcano any day." ~nikiforova
Oct 2, 2017 6:03 AM
otp haver 🤪

Jul 2017
I've heard it's becasue it takes away from "better" genres. However it's just the natural evolution of things.
Oct 2, 2017 6:04 AM
Jul 2018
nymi said:
Darek said:

Nah in my case I know a lot of mecha haters than moe haters. They rated sonico, gochumon, yuruyuri and some other moe thingy a 10 while dropping mecha and hating it and rating it 1. It is one of the reason I disconnected myself with my former anime friends.
?

I was not talking about numbers at all. I just said that moe haters are more reasonable than mecha haters.

Also Yuru Yuri is amazing.
Oct 2, 2017 6:06 AM

Sep 2017
Darek said:
nymi said:

?

I was not talking about numbers at all. I just said that moe haters are more reasonable than mecha haters.

Nevermind got high and remembered some unpleasant memories. IDK why the hell did I say that though. I equally like moe and mecha as long as they have a solid story. Lol

-Swagernator 2017
Oct 2, 2017 6:08 AM
Jul 2018
nymi said:
Darek said:
?

Nevermind got high and remembered some unpleasant memories. IDK why the hell did I say that though. I equally like moe and mecha as long as they have a solid story. Lol
>Moe
>Story

I can definitely believe you are high right now.
Oct 2, 2017 6:14 AM

Sep 2017
Darek said:
nymi said:

>Moe
>Story

I can definitely believe you are high right now.

This must be the side effect of me posting 200 consecutive posts this past 2 days. I wonder what will happen to me later. Oh well got to refresh the recent tab. Lmao.

-Swagernator 2017
Oct 2, 2017 6:16 AM
Jul 2018
How are you going to appear intellectual while openly liking something as vapid as "moe"?

Appearances, man...
Oct 2, 2017 6:20 AM

Jul 2015
If you like KyoAni, you like moe. Period.

I still have to find someone who hates KyoAni.

Oct 2, 2017 6:51 AM

Dec 2015
Some dislike it because they think it isn't manly enough. Some think it's bad because they want to seem intellectual. Some people don't like it because it's just not their thing.
Oct 2, 2017 6:52 AM

Apr 2017
Ehh most of shitty moeblobs are utter trash

Unless It's K-GOAT

"Think about that glowing dust
That destroys the night sky's dream of
Just being nothing"
----
Oct 2, 2017 6:56 AM

Nov 2016
Isn't it obvious? Cause they've shittaste.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Oct 2, 2017 7:13 AM

Mar 2017
There's the idea that it detracts from more serious storylines, which is bullshit.

Viewed under a certain light, Made in Abyss has the moe blob character design aspect. But, to quote my review:

Much praise must also be lauded to the visuals, and especially the character designs. Such whimsical image serves to highlight the stark contrast with the brutal reality in a journey that strives to go deeper into the heart of the earth and innermost to the core of the yearnings that makes us human…

…Into the abyss, with all of its attendant connotations.

To even accede that the visuals impede great stories is tantamount to bowing to the erroneous logic certain people use to look down on animation in general, certain in the belief that animation will never amount to anything more than kid stories.

And we all know how much of a better story this is than the live action one:

You gave up your freedom of speech when you clicked Agree to the User Agreement
This is not a public platform.
Oct 2, 2017 7:18 AM

Sep 2017
well to be honest myself this is my first time hearing those words "moe"
is this moe?

FOREVER ALONE!! YAAAAAAH!
Oct 2, 2017 7:21 AM
Jul 2018
The characters should be cringy enough to stop watching
Oct 2, 2017 7:27 AM

Feb 2016
Because preferences? I can barely stand Kyoto Animation stuff which is the embodiment of moe
Oct 2, 2017 7:29 AM

Dec 2014
Peoples don't hate moe... peoples hate excesses. We must agree that there is simply too much moe on the market.
Oct 2, 2017 7:38 AM

Sep 2014
Moe was always present in anime. moe is not a synonymous of anime with only cute girls doing nothing or mahou shoujos.

The prblem many might find with moe is how often in excess moe is used and how stuíd is the way they use turning characters in perfect moeblobs.

Pretty much like seminudity and sex tension between characters in anime. The problem is not this existing, but how they use and overuse
Smoke Weed Everyday
Oct 2, 2017 7:40 AM

Nov 2014
Because there are not many good moe shows and some people just don't like how it looks
Oct 2, 2017 7:43 AM

Jul 2017
They are not ready to love cute things.

Leave those Tsundere alone ~
Oct 2, 2017 7:44 AM
Jul 2018
A lot of moe SOL is just lazy. Characters fall into the usual half-dozen cute archetypes that you can find in countless other shows, there's not much of a story, the comedy is flat, and the animation is nothing special. The show would be completely uninteresting if not for the cute girl factor. They're like harem anime without the harem protagonist - generic characters doing generic things. As with harem anime, there are times when decent writing, animation or music can elevate moe SOL to something worthwhile, but most of it is completely mediocre and forgettable. If you're not attracted to the cute character designs, there's not much to keep you interested in the show.
However there are exceptions too but personally I never really cared for them so whatever.
Oct 2, 2017 7:50 AM

Nov 2016
Moe is more or less characters that are meant to be adored, they are very cute and stuff. I forgot her name but the girl with short purple hair in Lucky Star is a good example of this. She has the complexity of any other character but her main thing is moe. I think the problem that people have with moe (at least it's the problem I have) is that they have no complexity, but vehicles for cute loli shit and cute loli shit only. It doesn't make the character interesting and its only goal is being cute.

Basically people have standards and being uber cute just doens't cut it out for them. Especially since this creates a cliché which lead to oversaturation. Some people will swim in moe and won't care and just want lots of cute stuff.
Oct 2, 2017 7:54 AM

Apr 2015
Some people hate joy and like to screech about how the industry is dying while jerking off to their Legend of the Galactic Heroes shrine.
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Oct 2, 2017 7:59 AM

Oct 2010
A wide variety of reasons, varying from a repulsion towards cutesy stuff to the perception that moe is a quirk that phagocytes every other aspect of a show; with lack of appeal, association with "boring" narratives and nostalgia for other styles or genres factoring in as well.

It's kind of the same case with any other genre, style or narrative.

Rinar said:
Moe is more or less characters that are meant to be adored, they are very cute and stuff. I forgot her name but the girl with short purple hair in Lucky Star is a good example of this. She has the complexity of any other character but her main thing is moe. I think the problem that people have with moe (at least it's the problem I have) is that they have no complexity, but vehicles for cute loli shit and cute loli shit only. It doesn't make the character interesting and its only goal is being cute.

But having that perception doesn't mean it's true and specifically Tsukasa is a comedic character with a personality that is played for jokes. Her main purpose in the narrative is not moe.

On the other hand if you expect character complexity in a gag show about quirky personality types, maybe the problem doesn't lie in the series.
jal90Oct 2, 2017 8:06 AM
Oct 2, 2017 8:00 AM
Jul 2018
its simple
moe+SoL=cringe

moe+whatever that isnt SoL=<3
Oct 2, 2017 8:01 AM

Apr 2016
They must have shit taste that's why they hate Moe anime.

Moe era is the best era b0i.

Heh, probably they hate it because its "non-sense" and they want more older, story rich anime because of that.
Why do we have to live in such a cruel world?

Oct 2, 2017 8:10 AM

Jul 2015
CatSoul said:
Some people hate joy and like to screech about how the industry is dying while jerking off to their Legend of the Galactic Heroes shrine.

If you like LoTGH, you like moe. Please leave LoTGH out of this.

Oct 2, 2017 8:12 AM

Mar 2016
They don't like cute things so that's why they hate moe...
Forum set made by Sereshay

Oct 2, 2017 8:19 AM
Tuturuuuuuu

Sep 2016
I guess it is because people has opinion and it isn't a law to have the same ones... So I like something and dislike others.... you too, and because of this we have animes about a lot of kinds.
Oct 2, 2017 8:23 AM

Feb 2016
I don't have anything against moe. Most Animes I've watched were Moe so it doesn't bother me that much but I'm not a big fan if all the characters are just cute and for fanservice. Maybe that's the problem for many people.
But if people don't like Moe... why do some people watch them anyway even if they hate it?

I will not believe that everything is controlled by fate.

ll X ll
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» That moment when you realize...

Dominusew - 22 minutes ago

7 by Spunkert »»
5 minutes ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

198 by Shizuna »»
6 minutes ago

» Did you know that anime is amazing?

KryzakamiHrybami - Apr 23

22 by shin0by »»
6 minutes ago

» what's the worst anime you've watched and what exactly was the worst part of it ? ( 1 2 )

ame - Apr 7

66 by 23feanor »»
36 minutes ago

» which antagonist is your fave and which one you cannot JUST TAKE SERIOUSLY ?

ame - 6 hours ago

13 by Otakupervert890 »»
42 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.