Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Kakegurui - Compulsive Gambler -
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Sep 23, 2017 6:18 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Welp, they are going for this route of making the student council president the big boss for Jabami in this finale. Idk how to feel about this finale...really wish this show was in 2 cour in the first place. Not counting this episode, many of the others were faithful to the manga.

As for the episode itself, I have mixed thoughts about it. It felt rushed as it took half the epsiode to have it being set up with the tarot cards and stuff.

Sigh, oh well. On the plus side, this episode still had a good amount of psychology and it was thrilling to watch if you get really into it. Still, overall a pretty mediocre anime.

Stark700Sep 23, 2017 6:42 AM
Sep 23, 2017 6:37 AM
Review Moderator
Jan 2017
An average ending. After seeing more complex gambles, we end with an average gamble at the end. It was resolved in less than 10 minutes.

That happens when they try to do an original ending. Well, it is over now.

Sep 23, 2017 6:45 AM

Apr 2017
I was surprised when they did not follow the manga for its finale. I think we won't get another sequel for this. All good opportunities have been lost. I still prefer reading the manga.
Sep 23, 2017 7:14 AM

Apr 2017
Well you know what they say..

Go Read the Fckin' Manga

The series should really ended up near Chapter 33.. I shouldn't have known seeing an alternative route but way more quite an average one supposedly the challenge between Sayaka and Jabami is way more devastating than this one.

-HippySnob-Sep 23, 2017 7:37 AM

"Think about that glowing dust
That destroys the night sky's dream of
Just being nothing"
----
Sep 23, 2017 7:52 AM

Jun 2016
Pretty damn terrible if you ask me
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 23, 2017 7:56 AM

Aug 2013
I expected something a little different than this tbh. I don't like how they ended it.
7/10.
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Sep 23, 2017 9:12 AM

Aug 2016
So they started this as a faithful adaptation, then chose to make an original ending, and made a pretty mediocre one at that. The slight hint at a s2 worries me. They should just stop it here, honestly. They could've followed the manga and teased just the same way. THAT finale would've been much more exciting.
"Why is it that the beautiful things are entwined more deeply with death than with life?" ~Kaneki Ken
Sep 23, 2017 9:23 AM

Apr 2012
Considering that last year MAPPA played with gays, and in this show with possible lesbians, I was curious what we would see next year.

But I liked the show. Yes, the staging is full of memetic reaction and childish trolling, and Yumeko looks like the offspring of Lelouch and Miyuki Shiba's love, but I really enjoyed what was happening. This was clearly an interesting experience.

Sep 23, 2017 9:25 AM
Jul 2017
wow, you guys already watching this eps?
where u found it? any english subs or [insertlanguangehere] subs?
Sep 23, 2017 9:57 AM

Nov 2015
Pipe said:
An average ending. After seeing more complex gambles, we end with an average gamble at the end. It was resolved in less than 10 minutes.

The manga wasn't really any better it was just yuri bait plus anime news network said the original creator was involved with the anime ending anyways so you can't deny that fact.
Old_School_AkiraSep 23, 2017 10:02 AM
HACKs! šŸ¤¢šŸ¤®
Sep 23, 2017 10:50 AM

Jul 2013
It was obvious the match ended in a draw because the studio didn't wanted to take risks, and ending the series with either the MC or the final boss leaving the school wouldn't have felt right. It was a more wise option than making one of them lost, however. The moment when Suzui used his Shinigami Eyes to pick the "correct! card was strangely hilarious too.

Was a fun ride, that's for sure.
Sep 23, 2017 10:59 AM

Jul 2015
That was a nice final episode, Suzui got the spotlight with that final choice, very well executed scene.

Consistently entertaining from start to end, it delivered what I expected from it, 7/10 from my part, I will check out the manga.
Sep 23, 2017 11:10 AM
Apr 2014
I followed this show, only for curiosity,but IMO what a waist of time, very unrealistic and idiotic set up , finished reading the available manga and it just boring,just the quality of the art style ,I think is very appealing ,but every thing else is just crap, reading the last reviews is quite interesting and my opinion is the same , a bad show :).
Sep 23, 2017 11:25 AM

Feb 2013
mehmehperson said:
Pipe said:

The manga wasn't really any better it was just yuri bait plus anime news network said the original creator was involved with the anime ending anyways so you can't deny that fact.

That "Yuri bait" (which was implied during the entire manga) was much better than what they did with the anime
Sep 23, 2017 11:48 AM
Sep 2017
Hm. I'm pretty disappointed with how it ended. It definitely should have had a couple of extra episodes and stuck being faithful to the manga.

Oh well. My thoughts of it when looking at it objectively are in the review.
Sep 23, 2017 2:25 PM
Jul 2018
Soundtrack was definitely the highlight of this series for me. 8/10
Sep 23, 2017 2:25 PM
Jul 2018
This bad ending wasn't pleasant to see. Although there was some 'little' nice psychological scene from this finale compare last couple of matches.
Pretty bad show imho. Like I said, it gets less crazier after the end of first two match(less tension, no further interesting character development after ep4, predictable winning methods). Was only watching in the hope to see Ryouta's development but later I realised that was my mistake..
Gotta admit, the voice acting(except jabami) was brilliant and so does the soundtracks. I don't think 13 episode also could solidify this show overall. But I am sure that 2-cour of this anime could have reach the almost same tier as other notable gambling anime.

Sep 23, 2017 3:30 PM

Sep 2016
Sigh, what a disappointment of an episode, then again I expected this. Could have ended up being so much better if it didn't stick to 12 episodes.

Still. I enjoyed it overall. If I wanted to score it myself, I'd give it a 6 or 7. Made me interested in the manga.

Read quite a few understandable reviews; both positive and negative. Already commented on a few people's profiles regarding that. @Stark700, I wish I could comment on your profile of yours being one of them too, but you only let friends comment.
Sep 23, 2017 4:38 PM

Aug 2015
Well that was shitty. I'm still sitting in the Kaiji S3 waiting room.
Sep 23, 2017 5:44 PM

Feb 2016
I'm glad that I started watching Kaiji's greatness when Kake was at half its season, what a disappointing finale, this anime were spent only on orgasmic faces and nothing else 5/10
"We could make the world better, but it's easier to just shut our eyes."
~Blackwall
Sep 23, 2017 6:31 PM
Jun 2016
That was pretty... well, shit. Sorry, but I'm disappointed. A great shame. Because of that, it lowered to a 6/10 for me, and that's being nice.

God... this is probably now one of the most disappointing ones of the summer season for me alongside Classroom of the Elite.
4DissinitySep 23, 2017 6:35 PM
Sep 23, 2017 6:44 PM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
Holy fuck, that whole Suzui sequence was fire! HE ACTIVATED HIS SHARINGAN!!

Decent series that lives off the entertainment factor and that's enough to carry it IMO.
Sep 23, 2017 7:08 PM

Jan 2013
there was not much original here, the game was just different and a certain yuritastic development was cut of

but since the president decided to disband the student council it means that its open for a sequel , but since they also didn't show what happens after it with the new bunch of characters (cliffhanger) it also means that it can stand without a sequel as a complete story

overall

Nice visuals, voice acting and music.

Wish that the gambles could be just as good instead of mediocre cuz you need a GOOD gamble to flash out the main cast.
Sep 23, 2017 7:16 PM

Jun 2015
That gamble was underwhelming. Some other ones were better than this. I wonder how it was in the manga. But I don't care enough to know. Suzui choosing the card was cool I guess. Jabami got a major organism when he did that. A below average show overall.
Sep 23, 2017 7:30 PM

Jun 2014
The single best show of the season; but utterly disappointing original ending.

I would have been perfectly fine with the series ending on Ep 11 after Yumeko beat the SC Treasurer guy. It would have been the same type of ending for any other adaptation of a still-currently-running manga. But nope they decided to give it an original ending.

This ending was disappointing for several reasons. (a)The gamble with the President was shoved into one episode, while most other gambles got between 1.5-2 episodes. (b)There were no escalating bets, it was just "everything on the line" from the start; The game with the Treasurer guy was so much more exciting because the stakes started small then escalated to the point of them betting their lives. (c)The game itself was underwhelming. The game was decided by the turn of only 3 cards. Boring.

I would have been semi-okay with a tie if the game had any escalation to make it tense. But it didnt. This is the game everyone was waiting for, and there was zero buildup to a climax. Up to episode 11, I was ready to give this a 9/10; but considering the underwhelming final episode, I must knock this to an 8/10

-----

On the positive side of things. Except for this final episode, I do think this was the best show this season. Mappa is at the top of their game with visuals.

@ all the people saying Kakegurui was always a terrible anime, and Kaiji was so much better as a gambling anime: I agree, Kaiji was a better show; but the purposes of the two are completely different. Kaiji was all about the psychological battle of wits and fight for survival, all the while being shat on by karma. Kakegurui is more simply about the thrill of taking a risk. When Kaiji discovers his opponent is cheating, he develops complex strategies to win, even if he must cheat too. When Yumeko discovers her opponent is cheating, her goal is to bring her opponent down to equal ground and force the outcome of the game to be decided by pure probability. Kaiji at first gambles for money to repay debts, then ends up gambling for his own survival of life. Yumeko doesnt care about money, or even her own life; she compulsively gambles just for the thrill and excitement. This is why she thinks cheating is boring and distasteful.
Sep 23, 2017 7:35 PM
#1 Hitagi Lover

Apr 2014
Well thats it I guess. Tbh it could've been way worse than what was shown. My only problem with this episode is pretty much that it took too long for Jabami and the Prez to start their gamble. But at the same time, if they were to get right into it at the start, it would've felt rushed regardless.

Overall it was a very very fun series for me to watch. It's nowhere near perfect but my enjoyment, even with this anime original ending, is mostly a 10.

I'll hope that it gets a 2nd season eventually in the future and if it does, hopefully the manga by then has enough content for the anime to have a nice stopping point instead of making another anime original ending.
Sep 23, 2017 7:40 PM

Jun 2014
In the end they chose the safest route and neither of them lost. I guess it would be kind of weird if the MC or the major antagonistic force in the school had to leave. Especially since the entire show takes place in this one setting, it would be odd to have one of them be absent from said setting. However, it makes this whole gamble underwhelming since the stakes were pretty high, but then it resulted in absolutely nothing.

Still, all those criticisms aside, it was cool to see Suzui being useful for once. The animation in this episode, particularly during his climactic sequence, and throughout the anime in general was pretty good. I think the anime got off to a good start, but became a bit stale as it went on. I wouldn't say it was repetitive, because Yumeko wasn't winning every single time and she actually did lose on occasion which changed things up a bit, but as the show got closer to the end the tension kind of went away because deep down, you just get a feeling in your gut that she won't lose (well that happened to me at least). Also, the show was pretty weird lol, with the facial expressions and endless orgasms....that lost its charm quickly. And then lets not forget this disappointing ending. Overall it went from decent/good to average.
thebrentinator24Sep 23, 2017 7:48 PM
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Sep 23, 2017 7:41 PM

Aug 2013
So...that original ending was shit. I'd rather they just adapted the tower of doors arc and rushed that shit into 1 episode than have to deal with this. But that's just me...pretty much dropped the anime down for me in rating. A strong 5 for the ending, about a 6 to 7 for the entire anime. Glad I picked up the source.
Don't believe the hype.
Sep 23, 2017 7:43 PM

Nov 2014
So... what was the ending in the manga?

Sep 23, 2017 7:44 PM

Nov 2016
Oh man,that final was meh.

Overall it was still a fun ride, although it went a bit downhill during the second half.

6/10

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Sep 23, 2017 7:55 PM

Dec 2014
Pretty decent finale.

The gamble was short but it was nice and effective, Suzui was pretty awesome with his draw. I loved that sequence, Yumeko appearing behind him completely infatuated with the art of gambling and wrapping her arm around hus was kinda demonic if you ask me. xD
Hayami Saori nailed it again.

Overall, the show started out really strong. The gambles were exciting and intense but I suppose the episodic and formulaic nature of the plot and episodes made the gambles kinda predictable in the sense we always knew Yumeko was going to win and it was quite easy to predict how she was gonna do it at times. That in itself is not a good thing to have in a series in like this as it kinda removes the thrill from the games. All that said, the gambles and the show itself was pretty fun to watch and the crazy maniacal characters were amusing in their own way. Hayami Saori deserves the most praise for her stunning performance as Yumeko.

7/10, I'd suggest people to try and read Liar Game which has very similar elements of high stakes gambles as seen in this show, however the execution in former is far superior.
Sep 23, 2017 7:59 PM

Jan 2013
Mary and Itsuki automatically assume a ship has happened was the highlight of this.

as for the ending, it totally was suggested that this is a one shot with the way it was handled. quite enjoyable for what it was.
Sep 23, 2017 8:02 PM

Dec 2012
Alright final episode.

LOL that ending though. A draw & no one leaves the academy.

Overall a fun & crazy show with so many insane reaction faces.

8/10.
"I’ve set myself to become the King of the Pirates…and if I die trying…then at least I tried!" Monkey D. Luffy (One Piece)

Sep 23, 2017 8:16 PM
The Komori

Mar 2013
Everything about the scene when it was Suzui's turn to pick a card was just badass and I love how he essentially confessed to Jabami too (The way Mary and the others reacted was hilarious)

But I have a question for manga readers.....To me it looks like they gave us an anime original ending because if they stuck to the manga, there wasn't going to be a decent enough ending to close off the season, so is that true? What was actually supposed to happen here?

Also, the ending just left even more questions in my mind and especially that scene with the loli when she was on the phone talking to only god knows who.....I really wanna know what's the deal with the President and the masked girl who magically re-appeared at the end

But overall, this series was a blast to watch and I'm truthfully gonna miss seeing all this madness

Think I'm gonna give this an 8/10
Sep 23, 2017 8:17 PM
The Komori

Mar 2013
m-i-c-h-a-e-l said:
The single best show of the season; but utterly disappointing original ending.

I would have been perfectly fine with the series ending on Ep 11 after Yumeko beat the SC Treasurer guy. It would have been the same type of ending for any other adaptation of a still-currently-running manga. But nope they decided to give it an original ending.

This ending was disappointing for several reasons. (a)The gamble with the President was shoved into one episode, while most other gambles got between 1.5-2 episodes. (b)There were no escalating bets, it was just "everything on the line" from the start; The game with the Treasurer guy was so much more exciting because the stakes started small then escalated to the point of them betting their lives. (c)The game itself was underwhelming. The game was decided by the turn of only 3 cards. Boring.

I would have been semi-okay with a tie if the game had any escalation to make it tense. But it didnt. This is the game everyone was waiting for, and there was zero buildup to a climax. Up to episode 11, I was ready to give this a 9/10; but considering the underwhelming final episode, I must knock this to an 8/10

-----

On the positive side of things. Except for this final episode, I do think this was the best show this season. Mappa is at the top of their game with visuals.

@ all the people saying Kakegurui was always a terrible anime, and Kaiji was so much better as a gambling anime: I agree, Kaiji was a better show; but the purposes of the two are completely different. Kaiji was all about the psychological battle of wits and fight for survival, all the while being shat on by karma. Kakegurui is more simply about the thrill of taking a risk. When Kaiji discovers his opponent is cheating, he develops complex strategies to win, even if he must cheat too. When Yumeko discovers her opponent is cheating, her goal is to bring her opponent down to equal ground and force the outcome of the game to be decided by pure probability. Kaiji at first gambles for money to repay debts, then ends up gambling for his own survival of life. Yumeko doesnt care about money, or even her own life; she compulsively gambles just for the thrill and excitement. This is why she thinks cheating is boring and distasteful.
Great comparison between the two shows man, good post
Sep 23, 2017 8:19 PM

Sep 2013
Pretty nice anime original ending, suzui making jabami come with his manly decision and it ends on a draw.
8/5/10
Sep 23, 2017 8:34 PM

Jan 2014
A lot of people give the studio shit but fail to realize the creator has a say in it. I liked the twist, and I ship the two MCs. Still 4/10, though.. mostly because MC is overpowered and will never lose because she's main character.

Three things cannot be long hidden..
...the s u n, the m oo n, and the tr u th.

Sep 23, 2017 8:39 PM

Jun 2008
Very bland ending.

The gambling outcome is at least understandable since it is anime-only, they needed an ending/pause spot, and they didn't want to have any major consequences (just in a case a second season). Nothing too crazy could happen.

With that said, my biggest complaint is that there was NOTHING remotely intriguing.
<>There wasn't any overly erotic gambling scenes (compared to every other episode)
<>FINALLY versing the President (the final boss that was hyped up from the beginning) resulted in flipping three measly cards...one of which was flipped by Ryouta
<>The overall excitement and intensity levels were lacking (Yumeko felt like her gambling obsessed self briefly when Ryouta pushed a card away)
<>The dialogue was even bland. All the other battles were interesting not only for the insanity and gambling, but the dialogue added so much too.

Ending aside, the series was still fun and enjoyable. I looked forward to it every week.
7/10 and hoping for a second season.
Sep 23, 2017 8:40 PM

Aug 2014
Rules were solid, but the game was trash. Maybe if they had flipped all the cards. Cop out as fuck outcome. Expected but uncharacteristic of the show up to this point.

Pretty weak gambling show, expected when stakes were practically non-existent. I did enjoy the ride, and the occasional insanity, but perhaps only Midari lived up to expectation.
Sieg Zeon!
Sep 23, 2017 8:43 PM

Jun 2017
Even though the stakes weren't that high, I was still on the edge of my seat. I think the soundtrack has a lot to do with it. 7/10 show.
Sep 23, 2017 8:49 PM

Nov 2016
what is it with plot twist of there being a sister that you dont know about until the last ep

what do u guys think was the marked card the joker. im thinking no
Sep 23, 2017 8:50 PM
Jul 2016
Well this was pretty lame. Nearly everything was going pretty well or entertaining, and then this happened. Took only one episode to ruin my mood big time, but to end it in this way is even worse. 5/10

QuattroVaginas said:

Pretty weak gambling show, expected when stakes were practically non-existent.

Yeah, I don't know what this means. They staked tons of money, nails, lives physically and metaphorically, yeah. If this is because the MC rarely loses, then this isn't anything new. So I don't understand.

BlazeSoulReaperX said:
what is it with plot twist of there being a sister that you dont know about until the last ep

what do u guys think was the marked card the joker. im thinking no

I have no idea why they added the sort of thing in this episode, of all times. That's actually something from the manga, yet they've added this in here like it's supposed to matter much since it's an anime original ending. I don't understand.
M49Sep 23, 2017 8:54 PM
Sep 23, 2017 8:56 PM

Dec 2016
Another draw, that was an interesting game they played.

Jabami even got Suzui under her spell in this one.

Very good series, fascinating to watch how everything unfolded and all the mind games that were played throughout.
Sep 23, 2017 9:03 PM

Apr 2017
i really enjoyed the whole series overall <3

but the ending seems a bad move if they won't make another season imo

still life: pink roses
Sep 23, 2017 9:17 PM

Jan 2015
The one thing I saw is how Ryouta doing that "indirect" confession. -_-
[url=http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Mascera&sclick=1]convert gambar online
Sep 23, 2017 9:27 PM

Mar 2017
It was a good ending. They really hit upon the true essence of gambling: luck and random chance. We're left with some juicy details at the end where the president says she's disbanding the council & there is some behind the scenes stuff going on with the president.

Left wide open for a sequel in my opinion. Having not read the manga and having only seen the anime version, I am not disappointed.

I know most wanted a big climax on the last episode, but that really isn't Kagegurui's style. Ending on a philosophical note, one of my favorite anime of the season is over.

9/10
Sep 23, 2017 9:30 PM

Aug 2014
M49 said:

QuattroVaginas said:

Pretty weak gambling show, expected when stakes were practically non-existent.

Yeah, I don't know what this means. They staked tons of money, nails, lives physically and metaphorically, yeah. If this is because the MC rarely loses, then this isn't anything new. So I don't understand.

Nothing is high stakes when she herself does not care about the bets, only the gamble. Money especially is treated like a joke in the show. It's not about her rarely losing, it's about losses being inconsequential, either by being given the chance to play until she wins or just the punishment becoming irrelevant (her pet status).

It's like watching Poker played with Monopoly money.
QuattroVaginasSep 23, 2017 9:44 PM
Sieg Zeon!
Sep 23, 2017 9:36 PM

Jun 2015
Suzui was epic in this episode. Kakegurui had it's ups and downs, but I'll kinda miss it to tell you the truth.
Sep 23, 2017 9:45 PM
Sep 2017
Yuneko reminds me of Gentiana in Final Fantasy XV. It makes sense since Square Enix produced this anime.
Sep 23, 2017 9:47 PM
Aug 2010
I'm honestly neutral with the way it ended and I think the author did good with the last episode given the constraint set upon by the producers. He really needed to end the match with a draw as the source material does not have a conclusion yet and most likely he does not want to conclude the fate of these two juggernaut in anime. Plus it can easily ease in and follow the the current election arc in the manga if ever we get season 2. We were shown a short scene in the anime btw with Kirari dissolving the student council which corresponds to the start of the new arc I'm referring.
Pages (8) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kakegurui Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 2, 2017

149 by FedeMetal »»
Apr 18, 11:14 AM

Poll: » Kakegurui Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Aug 26, 2017

119 by FedeMetal »»
Apr 17, 8:06 PM

Poll: » Kakegurui Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Aug 19, 2017

182 by FedeMetal »»
Apr 17, 8:03 PM

Poll: » Kakegurui Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Aug 12, 2017

183 by FedeMetal »»
Apr 16, 11:11 AM

Poll: » Kakegurui Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jul 29, 2017

215 by FedeMetal »»
Apr 16, 10:07 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

Itā€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.