Forum Settings
Forums
New
Sep 13, 2017 4:39 AM

Jan 2016
With over around 8000 animes listed on MAL it is clear that Japan is the " king of animation ". But I find their content is severely lacking for the amount of series they produce. American " anime like " series is probably something around 20 and there is already 2 that would be on top of MAL. Avatar the last airbender is definitely one of the best animes if it was made in Japan. And yet the american writers for the show was their first time making an animated tv series. Then you have castlevania which shows alot of potential to be an amazing upcoming animated series.

Japanese writers seem incapable of writing better stories and dialogue ( SOME OF THE TIME ). There are a few masterpiece animes out there. But overwhelmingly for most anime producers, they fall flat. Is this a problem due to society and upbringing in japan?
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (9) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Sep 13, 2017 4:42 AM

Jul 2015
i think they don't want to take the risk to write something that don't sells well
Sep 13, 2017 4:43 AM

Apr 2016
Trash sells, so they need to produce it more.

No one give a jesus ass about quality anymore.
Sep 13, 2017 4:44 AM

Jan 2016
tragedydesu said:
i think they don't want to take the risk to write something that don't sells well

Is that why there is like a tsundere in 1 in every 3 animes?
Sep 13, 2017 4:46 AM

Nov 2012
You and your 20 completions sure gives your opinion a lot of weight.
Sep 13, 2017 4:46 AM

Apr 2015
If you don't know jack shit about Japan culture, language, and how terrible Dub/sub is, get the fuck out.
Sep 13, 2017 4:48 AM

Jul 2015
kingraptor724 said:
tragedydesu said:

Is that why there is like a tsundere in 1 in every 3 animes?

yep , anime with a tsundere main love interest sell well like isekai/incest/harems
and now there is a new cancer called traps
so they will keep milking them until this trends die
Sep 13, 2017 4:48 AM

Mar 2015
then why are you even here? there is more than jap an US animation...
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Sep 13, 2017 4:49 AM

Jan 2016
SuperRed said:

If you noticed alot of my list is animes on top of MAL, so it doesnt take like 400 animes to realize this is the best anime Japan can bring out.
Sep 13, 2017 4:50 AM

Sep 2014
I think you seem to forget that Japan and America have vastly different cultures and people. Japanese shows are made for a Japanese audience and American shows are made for a western audience. So it's only natural that an American (or western) person would like American shows more.

Also imo Avatar is severely overrated based on the fact that it's the only one of it's kind (anime inspired cartoon about a fictional eastern world), also nostalgia. I watched it again several months ago and it fell short of what I expected it would be like. If it was the exact same but was instead an anime made in Japan it would just be seen as a decent but pretty generic shounen.
when ur about to have a refreshing sip of earl grey tea and someone says "traps are gay"
Sep 13, 2017 4:52 AM

Mar 2015
kingraptor724 said:
SuperRed said:

If you noticed alot of my list is animes on top of MAL, so it doesnt take like 400 animes to realize this is the best anime Japan can bring out.

this is most retarded opinion i heard in while...
"lets judge the whole japanese animation industries, by rondom rangking site with western based comunity by my standard"

what a fucking joke...

yes, you are, 400 even still too little to know what inside industries, the cultural background around it, the experience to relate and feeling it... undestanding the "anime" as a whole... as industry, as culture, as entertainment medium...
KumaSep 13, 2017 5:04 AM
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Sep 13, 2017 4:53 AM

Jul 2015
kingraptor724 said:
SuperRed said:

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

MAL's top is full of shit bruh lololo

Wait...

Sep 13, 2017 4:58 AM

Jul 2014
Says someone who rated S;G a 2/10.

In some respects I agree with you, but there are well written anime. If you did a ratio of well written anime to well written Western movies.... they'd probably be closer than you expect.
"Man always thinks about the past before he dies, as if he were frantically searching for proof that he truly lived." -Jet Black (Cowboy Bebop)
Sep 13, 2017 4:59 AM

Mar 2012
Lol someone taking MAL ratting seriously.
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Sep 13, 2017 5:02 AM

Jul 2015
@themegamancave
>Implying Steins;Gate deserves a medal for its writing.

Maybe I was too busy cringing at the cliché harem cast, cheap meta jokes and stupid events (eat veggies if you want girls, MALers) to notice the finesse of the writing.
Sep 13, 2017 5:03 AM
Jul 2018
Oh well, we did not have a guy with barely any completion and complete lack of critical eye talking about things he has no clue about in a while. Guess MAL needs to have at least one thread like that every week or two.
removed-userSep 13, 2017 5:06 AM
Sep 13, 2017 5:05 AM

Jan 2016
Steins Gate is one of the animes that actually makes me think I shouldnt take MAL ratings seriously at all. I dont recall even laughing once, or finding the pseudo science even slightly interesting.
Sep 13, 2017 5:07 AM

May 2016
It's more like

You give Toradora a 8 while giving Steins;Gate a freaking 2 and you think you can say shit about the industry?

Please check your privilege XD
You are not your body, you are your brain, the "self" that emerges from within it.
Sep 13, 2017 5:10 AM

Jan 2016
HyperL said:
It's more like

You give Toradora a 8 while giving Steins;Gate a freaking 2 and you think you can say shit about the industry?

Toradora is at least an enjoyable anime that made me laugh more than once. Steins gate isnt intelligent as people say it is and the humor is based around bad jokes that you would find on reddit.
Sep 13, 2017 5:12 AM

Jul 2015
@kingraptor724 Toradora! also has some of the less believable highschoolers and dialogues ever, and an awful case of overblown and pointless drama. And that story-telling, eeeew. But hey, keep bashing S;G publicly, I'll cover you (^:
Sep 13, 2017 5:14 AM

Jan 2016
Clebardman said:
@kingraptor724 Toradora! also has some of the less believable highschoolers and dialogues ever, and an awful case of overblown and pointless drama. But hey, keep bashing S;G publicly, I'll cover you (^:

It is a romcom, a genre I would usually never watch. But even with pointless drama the show was based around being fun to watch, which it was. And Ami was actually a really good character, you cant deny she had really dialogues and attitude for a highschooler.
Sep 13, 2017 5:16 AM

Mar 2015
ok, reading carefully OP post, it's even more laughable than i tough...

kingraptor724 said:
Avatar the last airbender is definitely one of the best animes if it was made in Japan. And yet the american writers for the show was their first time making an animated tv series.

avatar was made by those guys...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Dante_DiMartino
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bryan_Konietzko
funded by fucking this...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nickelodeon_Animation_Studio

sure it was their first fully animated series, but totaly not a sucidal cheap making shit by unreliable people... lOl

not to mention how many japan influence on it...

kingraptor724 said:
Then you have castlevania which shows alot of potential to be an amazing upcoming animated series.

castelvania even more japan influenced, since it was originaly adapted for japanese game, even the producer still crediting japanese original wirter as their principal writer...

Apr 2016
Look out guys we got a Lit major up in here...

Nov 2011
> Doesn't like Steins Gate
> Enjoy Toradora

Taste type confirmed.

Sep 13, 2017 5:17 AM

May 2016
kingraptor724 said:
HyperL said:
It's more like

Toradora is at least an enjoyable anime that made me laugh more than once. Steins gate isnt intelligent as people say it is and the humor is based around bad jokes that you would find on reddit.

Yeah, how funny it was everytime MC was brutally punched in the gut.
Nah, I'll happily stay with my banter humor thank you very much.

I can't believe I'm doing this but...
@tragedydesu, I summon your tsundere hating ass to the battleground... Oh wait, you're already here XD
You are not your body, you are your brain, the "self" that emerges from within it.
Sep 13, 2017 5:17 AM

Mar 2016
kingraptor724 said:
SuperRed said:

Judging the whole anime industry for having seen the retarded MAL's top LUL
Sep 13, 2017 5:18 AM

Apr 2016
You only have 20 completions, you gave Steins Gate 2 and you dropped Cowboy Bebop. So your opinion doesn't matter. ー_ー
Sep 13, 2017 5:20 AM

Jan 2016
REALLY?! You guys criticize me thinking avatar is good because of nostalgia but think cowboy bebop is amazing? One of the most generic sci bounty hunter cool guy shooters, I have ever seen.
Sep 13, 2017 5:21 AM

Jul 2015
You're speaking as if your opinion is factual lol. If you didn't like a top-rated anime, like Steins;Gate for example, then that's on you, not on the anime. Just because your opinion differs from most of the community here does not mean that the community here is wrong and that you shouldn't take 'them seriously' (for that specific reason) lol.. I'm on the same boat as you, in the sense where there are some top rated anime that I personally did not enjoy as much as everyone else, and you don't see me complaining about how I think this community is dumb for having it top-rated. That doesn't mean that your opinion is necessarily wrong, but to make a thread about it is a bit petty lol.

caught in the wonder
Sep 13, 2017 5:21 AM

Jun 2016
Um, maybe you should try watching more anime, that's an idea.
Sep 13, 2017 5:23 AM

Jan 2016
Gem said:
You're speaking as if your opinion is factual lol. If you didn't like a top-rated anime, like Steins;Gate for example, then that's on you, not on the anime. Just because your opinion differs from most of the community here does not mean that the community here is wrong and that you shouldn't take 'them seriously' (for that specific reason) lol.. I'm on the same boat as you, in the sense where there are some top rated anime that I personally did not enjoy as much as everyone else, and you don't see me complaining about how I think this community is dumb for having it top-rated. That doesn't mean that your opinion is necessarily wrong, but to make a thread about it is a bit petty lol.

This thread was suppose to be about how japanese make far worse writers than americans. Ignoring hollywood movies though, most are trash.
Sep 13, 2017 5:23 AM

Apr 2016
kingraptor724 said:
SuperRed said:

First of all, that's a retarded statement. I can find more than a hundred shows outside the top rated ones which are more or less better.
Sep 13, 2017 5:24 AM

Nov 2016
Because the writer is often the same guy drawing it and being good at drawing doesn't automatically make you a good writer.
Sep 13, 2017 5:25 AM

Jan 2016
Omkar_Nagwade said:
kingraptor724 said:

First of all, that's a retarded statement. I can find more than a hundred shows outside the top rated ones which are more or less better.

I believe you, so lets make room by removing garbage like gintama, kimi no na wa, and steins gate off the top.
Sep 13, 2017 5:25 AM

Jul 2015
@kingraptor724 I alost mentionned Ami-chan, she's the only character I could wrap my head around, and she deserved a better anime. There's an episode in the later half where she appears like 5s and looks bored as fuck by the main characters' shit. I suspect the director was poking fun at me here (^:
Sep 13, 2017 5:26 AM

Mar 2015
kingraptor724 said:
Omkar_Nagwade said:

I believe you, so lets make room by removing garbage like gintama, kimi no na wa, and steins gate off the top.

>OMG, people liking what i dislike... what a hareshy!

seriously, grow up...
Sep 13, 2017 5:26 AM

Jul 2015
@HyperL
lmao

well ... i can understand people who enjoyed toradora because ami or minori (also the mc is not a bad character)
but the presence of taiga is enough to turn a flawless masterpiece to a 1/10
Sep 13, 2017 5:28 AM

May 2016
kingraptor724 said:
Gem said:

This thread was suppose to be about how japanese make far worse writers than americans. Ignoring hollywood movies though, most are trash.

But by saying that you're already drawing a line of objectivity upon the quality of writing between the two cultures.

I for one find the stuff of anime and japanese games to be much more entertaining then most western stuff.
Sep 13, 2017 5:34 AM

May 2017
kingraptor724 said:
Gem said:

What?that is a really dumb and ignorant statement. That's literally an opinion(even though it's a dumb one).
This guy, TFW TOO INTELLIGENT
Sep 13, 2017 5:34 AM

Jul 2014
Clebardman said:
@themegamancave
>Implying Steins;Gate deserves a medal for its writing.

Maybe I was too busy cringing at the cliché harem cast, cheap meta jokes and stupid events (eat veggies if you want girls, MALers) to notice the finesse of the writing.

When did I say the writing was good? There are plenty of issues with the anime's script, and I can attest to that. But saying he never even laughed once is fucking mind blowing. But then again, your spat is coming from a NGE fan. I have nothing more to say.

@kingraptor724... saying Cowboy Bebop is generic is an insult to the industry. You're right, maybe you shouldn't watch anymore anime. Stick to your 'better written' Western cartoons.
"Man always thinks about the past before he dies, as if he were frantically searching for proof that he truly lived." -Jet Black (Cowboy Bebop)
Sep 13, 2017 5:35 AM

Jan 2016
tragedydesu said:
@HyperL
lmao

well ... i can understand people who enjoyed toradora because ami or minori (also the mc is not a bad character)
but the presence of taiga is enough to turn a flawless masterpiece to a 1/10

I hold your opinion above others for agreeing the chimera ant arc completely ruined HxH. That was the dumbest shit ever that people love.
Sep 13, 2017 5:35 AM

Oct 2015
sure lets judge anime based on what western people who dont share the same taste as me, what they like and what they rated highly and think anime is shit

while im at it, american cartoon is shit, i mean shows like Simpsons and family guy are so clearly unfunny but they get so many seasons and so many people liek it

american cartoon is therefore, worse than japanese cartoons according to my twisted and OBJECTIVE opinion
Hottest Take Ever, fite me: Fairy Tail is better than Seiya, Bungou Stray and Hitman Reborn
Sep 13, 2017 5:36 AM

Apr 2015
kingraptor724 said:
SuperRed said:

The top of MAL isn't considered to be a 'heralding beacon' of quality or anything like that. You do realize that, right?
"I'd take rampant lesbianism over nuclear armageddon or a supervolcano any day." ~nikiforova
Sep 13, 2017 5:37 AM
Jul 2018
I noticed a trend around MAL, people think that simply mentioning buzzwords and speaking about writing and quality while never forming proper arguments makes them somehow smart, like what? I do not understand how can someone talk about writing, and then whenever an argument pops up start using stuff like "fun to watch" or "funny" as if they held any meaning in a thread that is supposed to be about yet again... writing. On top of that there is nothing as amusing as screaming at how the top on MAL is bad while giving code geass, a show with more holes than a lesbian orgy a 9/10, again, what? I really do not like to play a pseudo-critic and a elitist of a sort but come the fuck on, you guys are so fucking dumb it is not even funny.

Jan 2016
InsaneLeader13 said:
kingraptor724 said:

The top of MAL isn't considered to be a 'heralding beacon' of quality or anything like that. You do realize that, right?

Yeah I take that comment back because I realized how much utter shiteee is in top 10 alone.

May 2017
Toradora was fine till they went into the love triangle bs, if they had kept the original plot (of helping each other with their friends) it would have been far better
Sep 13, 2017 5:38 AM

Oct 2015
kingraptor724 said:
Steins Gate is one of the animes that actually makes me think I shouldnt take MAL ratings seriously at all. I dont recall even laughing once, or finding the pseudo science even slightly interesting.

Correction. It's called Science-Fiction not Pseudoscience. As someone who has a fetish for Science-Fiction stories, and as someone who has re-watched the show countless times to find plot holes and to figure out the science behind it makes sense, I can guarantee you that S;G has one of the most scientifically accurate interpretation of possible backwards time travel in anime...no any show. Only movies like Interstellar are more scientifically accurate.

If you find time travel uninteresting then that's just your taste, the show didn't fail to pique your interest, you just have different interests.

More importantly, I highly disagree with your assertion that 'Japanese writing' sucks. If you haven't seen shows like Space Brothers, Planetes, Spice and Wolf, Bakuman, Rakugo, LOTGH, Death Note, Sangatsu no Lion, Code Geass, Ghost in the Shell, Fate/Zero, Oregairu, Samurai Champloo, Terror in Resonance, Mob Psycho 100 or any Ghibli/Makoto Shinkai film then you have no right to even assert that American shows are better.

Avatar, Samurai Jack, Regular show etc., are all 'well-written' (whatever that means) but that doesn't make American cartoons any better. In fact most of them are highly similar/generic because cartoons are targeted squarely at children. Anime is the only medium that expresses a huge dynamic array of genres through 2D animation. From Hentai to Sci-fi.

If you take a scoop of water from the ocean you can't then conclude that whales do not exist. You need a bigger sample. Start watching the shows I've listed here and then see whether or not Japanese writing is worse.
IndianAnimeRekerSep 13, 2017 5:42 AM
Sep 13, 2017 5:39 AM

Jan 2016
Darek said:
I noticed a trend around MAL, people think that simply mentioning buzzwords and speaking about writing and quality while never forming proper arguments makes them somehow smart, like what? I do not understand how can someone talk about writing, and then whenever an argument pops up start using stuff like "fun to watch" or "funny" as if they held any meaning in a thread that is supposed to be about yet again... writing. On top of that there is nothing as amusing as screaming at how the top on MAL is bad while giving code geass, a show with more holes than a lesbian orgy a 9/10, again, what? I really do not like to play a pseudo-critic and a elitist of a sort but come the fuck on, you guys are so fucking dumb it is not even funny.

Mod Edit: Added spoiler tags; please hide plot details.
ShockedSep 16, 2017 4:48 PM
Sep 13, 2017 5:41 AM
Aug 2017
Kuma said:
kingraptor724 said:

this is most retarded opinion i heard in while...
"lets judge the whole japanese animation industries, by rondom rangking site with western based comunity by my standard"

what a fucking joke...

yes, you are, 400 even still too little to know what inside industries, the cultural background around it, the experience to relate and feeling it... undestanding the "anime" as a whole... as industry, as culture, as entertainment medium...

I was actually going to say the same thing but you saved me the the trouble .
Sep 13, 2017 5:41 AM

May 2016
kingraptor724 said:
kawaii96desu said:
Do you even know how hard it is to write a good dialogue/character/plot? Besides Japanese dialogues often sound unnatural to most foreigners but that doesn't necessarily mean that all of them are bad.

I live in osaka so its not like Im not used to japanese people's behavior. Its part of the reason I like ryujiu he is an absolute pushover like a few people I know here. Where as tsunderes arent realistic at all, thats like a korean thing.

But nobody knows how hard it is to write characters or plots unless they try to write a book. Most of us dont know.

It's not just having to write characters and plots but also having a time limit to deliver your work AND having to earn money to survive. No 'anime' writer in Japan can survive without cathering somehow to a heavily impressionable money-spending audience.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (9) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

70 by PostMahouShoujo »»
7 seconds ago

» Do you fantasize about anime while you sleep?

Alpha_1_Zero - 8 hours ago

21 by Vendicator »»
2 minutes ago

» Did you know that anime is amazing?

KryzakamiHrybami - Yesterday

17 by Suntanned_Duck2 »»
3 minutes ago

» is ur fave genre ur most watched genre ?

ame - Yesterday

24 by Suntanned_Duck2 »»
16 minutes ago

» Skibidi toilet piece (One piece story but with skibidi toilet)

Cyborgium - Today

20 by Oofmastre9000 »»
31 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.