Forum Settings
Forums
New
Sep 12, 2017 8:15 AM

Jun 2017
Which is the best Light Novel you have ever read ? , I haven't read many LN and I would like to find more than the ones I know .

Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Sep 12, 2017 8:24 AM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
Mahouka's LN is my current favorite. Didn't really realize exactly how much they left out of the anime adaptation in terms of characterization and world/lorebuilding until I read it, but it's kind of an addicting read and I'm quite pleased with it. I mean, I liked the anime quite a bit as is at that, so idk, all of the additions of stuff that seemed cut out that I find in the LNs make it a pretty great read.

Sep 12, 2017 8:26 AM

Apr 2017
Probably Vamp!, Phenomeno, I want to eat your Pancreas, and Kino no Tabi

Haven't tried Hakomari yet..

"Think about that glowing dust
That destroys the night sky's dream of
Just being nothing"
----
Sep 12, 2017 8:27 AM

Feb 2016
Mitou Shoukan://Blood Sign,

hard too get through the first volume but the rest is so goddamn good,
i simply cant think of a single Novel that gets even close too this one and ive read quite the ton of LNs if i may say so myself
Sep 12, 2017 8:28 AM

Mar 2012
In case my entire set isn't dead giveaway it's Rokujouma no Shinryakusha. A once in a lifetime harem.

I really should have make blog post about it sometime.
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Sep 12, 2017 8:28 AM
Apr 2013
I am bias as heck, Oregairu. Mahouka is only good till the Nine School Competition.
Sep 12, 2017 8:34 AM

Sep 2017
Oregairu, Maria, Fate zero, monogatari, classroom of the edgy, overlord.
"When you made this thread, I cried and screamed"

-Swagernator 2017
Sep 12, 2017 8:41 AM

Aug 2017
Well.. I don't read that many, but I find Oregairu is the most interesting LN I read. I love how everything flow just like how thing can be happening. Their relationship and interaction. It just... so human. Well.. I love people, that's why, maybe.

More than that : Kokoro Connect and Baka to Test.
suzuya_mitsukoSep 12, 2017 8:47 AM
"I'm tired, Boss. Mostly I'm tired of people being ugly at each other."
- John Coffey, Green Miles
Sep 12, 2017 8:43 AM

Apr 2017
The empty box of maria will stay the best written LN of all time

"elles sont bien noires
les pensées des nuits blanches"

Sep 12, 2017 8:43 AM
Oct 2016
To me is Overlord and the korean novel Dungeon Defence.
Sep 12, 2017 8:47 AM

Jun 2015
Gosick and Seizon (both completed, if you can read Japanese).

As for ongoing ones, I really really like Madan no Ou followed by Mushoku and Tokyo Ravens.

BlackFIFA19 said:

i simply cant think of a single Novel that gets even close too this one and ive read quite the ton of LNs if i may say so myself

Why on earth would you put up a White Queen forum set. She is literally cancer.
Sep 12, 2017 8:48 AM

Apr 2016
Light Novels are trash

Spice and Wolf. And soon Parchment and Wolf.
Sep 12, 2017 8:52 AM

Jun 2017
suzuya_mitsuko said:
Well.. I don't read that many, but I find Oregairu is the most interesting LN I read. I love how everything flow just like how thing can be happening. Their relationship and interaction. It just... so human. Well.. I love people, that's why, maybe.

More than that : Kokoro Connect and Baka to Test.
yeah til now Oregairu's my favourite , you described it perfectly , it's very human and realistic , they picture perfectly how hard the relationships can be... I've heard The Empty Box of Maria is a masterpiece but I haven't read it yet

Sep 12, 2017 8:53 AM

Aug 2015
Hmm.. It looks like I will be the first to mention it here...

I reincarnated into an otome game as a villainess with only destruction flag

In short, BaKarina.. XD

And "I'll live my second life!"

I also liked Chinese LN Shen Yin Wang Zuo (divine throne).

I think those are the best because other than those, I usually only do a quick read or even stopped halfway because I can't really stand reading novels... XD

I'm starting to get embarrassed by my own forum signature line.. XD
Sep 12, 2017 8:56 AM

Nov 2014
My current favorites are Tokyo Ravens and Hai to Gensou no Grimgar.

What I love about them is:
Tokyo Ravens:
1. How the main and side characters get equal character developments in terms of power and intelligence. As well as the side characters being an actual part of the series/story unlike most LN out there that does nothing with them at all and just stays useless most of the time while having the MC do everything.
2. The magic system: Onmyoudou. As well as the lore.
3. The MC is not overpowered in terms of physical or magical prowess but more like the intelligent-strategist type.
4. Villains are overpowered. Yeah, villains are overpowered. Usually it's the MC who is overpowered, but not in this LN.

Hai to Gensou no Grimgar:
It's a pretty realistic MMO-type world. Slow-paced and weak characters but they actually get stronger as the time goes. Teamwork is VERY important; You can die if you solo monsters. No power of friendship or asspull powerups. Death happens and no resurrections.

^ That's my ideal isekai LN or anime.
mizukasaSep 12, 2017 9:00 AM
Sep 12, 2017 9:00 AM

Apr 2016
mizukasa said:
Hai to Gensou no Grimgar..

Why ?
- I suppose you are aware of spoilers.

suzuya_mitsuko said:
I find Oregairu is the most interesting LN I read. I love how everything flow just like how thing can be happening. Their relationship and interaction. It just... so human. Well.. I love people, that's why, maybe.

You mean edgy people.
Sep 12, 2017 9:00 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
HakoMari still for me

I also really like No Game No Life, Seireitsukai no Blade Dance, Mushoku Tensei, Psycome, 1/2 Prince and KonoSuba though. Spice and Wolf is also good though I'm not caught up with it
Sep 12, 2017 9:02 AM
Sep 2017
Jare4lopez said:
Which is the best Light Novel you have ever read ? , I haven't read many LN and I would like to find more than the ones I know .

really easy picks
Highschool dxd, masou HxH and monogatari

FEMINISM IS CANCER!!!!!
Sep 12, 2017 9:03 AM

Feb 2015
Sep 12, 2017 9:04 AM

Jun 2017
Swagernator said:
Light Novels are trash

Yeah I've heard good things about Spice and Wolf ,I'll give it a try , it seems more interesting than the anime

Sep 12, 2017 9:05 AM
Jul 2018
mizukasa said:

Tokyo Ravens:
1. How the main and side characters get equal character developments in terms of power and intelligence. As well as the side characters being an actual part of the series/story unlike most LN out there that does nothing with them at all and just stays useless most of the time while having the MC do everything.
3. The MC is not overpowered in terms of physical or magical prowess but more like the intelligent-strategist type.
4. Villains are overpowered. Yeah, villains are overpowered. Usually it's the MC who is overpowered, but not in this LN.

It's a pretty realistic MMO-type world. Slow-paced and weak characters but they actually get stronger as the time goes. Teamwork is VERY important; You can die if you solo monsters. No power of friendship or asspull powerups. Death happens and no resurrections.

When are we getting the next vol of Tokyo ravens anyway?

Anyway I know hakomari is well received but it has some flaws in its prose.

For me it will be probably zaregoto.

Sep 12, 2017 9:09 AM

Nov 2014
Frostbytes said:
mizukasa said:

Tokyo Ravens:

When are we getting the next vol of Tokyo ravens anyway?

Volume 15? It'll be released on September 20. While Volume 14 is still being translated.

Mod Edit: Removed quote of deleted post.
ShockedSep 17, 2017 10:30 AM
Sep 12, 2017 9:12 AM

Jun 2015
mizukasa said:

Tokyo Ravens:

Holy shit Grimgar. That latest volume tho.

Jare4lopez said:
Swagernator said:
Light Novels are trash

Yeah I've heard good things about Spice and Wolf ,I'll give it a try , it seems more interesting than the anime

They're practically the same, except the ln extends beyond the anime(forgot the volume where the anime ended)
Sep 12, 2017 9:13 AM

Nov 2016
Best Japanese LNs for me are "Youjo Senki", "Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei" and "Ore no Shibou Flag ga Todomaru Tokoro wo Shiranai."

But, for asian novel in general, I love "Dungeon Defense" (the best of the best ; masterpiece, in my opinion) and "I'm the Monarch"
Sep 12, 2017 9:14 AM

Aug 2017
Jare4lopez said:
yeah til now Oregairu's my favourite , you described it perfectly , it's very human and realistic , they picture perfectly how hard the relationships can be... I've heard The Empty Box of Maria is a masterpiece but I haven't read it yet

I know, right? I think it's rare for an LN depict character, problem, interaction like that. Even their wish are really 'human' and acceptable. I wish I can find more like this. The closest one I found is Kokoro Connect. But their interaction is forced (in a good way) rather than their own action.

I read that. It's intriguing but I really bored in the latter half of volume one. Current abandoned in vol. 2. I think I should read it again. :/
Sep 12, 2017 9:16 AM
#1 Hitagi Lover

Apr 2014
Idk what'd I choose as the best LN I've read but the Monogatari series is by far and wide my favorite LN.
Sep 12, 2017 9:18 AM

Aug 2017
Swagernator said:
You mean edgy people.

I will admit Hachiman is halfway edgy and Yukino is somewhat edgy in earlier story. But they developed to a complex character.

Trust me, I meet some people like that. Especially Yukino.
Sep 12, 2017 9:21 AM

Jun 2017
AntwanMantilla said:
Idk what'd I choose as the best LN I've read but the Monogatari series is by far and wide my favorite LN.
Monogatari Series is Love!!! , Monogatari Series is Life!!!

Sep 12, 2017 9:23 AM

Aug 2014
Kara no Kyoukai first, followed by Monogatari, Decoration Disorder Disconnection and Spice and Wolf in no particular order
Sep 12, 2017 9:24 AM
Jan 2015
Manaban said:
Mahouka's LN is my current favorite. Didn't really realize exactly how much they left out of the anime adaptation in terms of characterization and world/lorebuilding until I read it, but it's kind of an addicting read and I'm quite pleased with it. I mean, I liked the anime quite a bit as is at that, so idk, all of the additions of stuff that seemed cut out that I find in the LNs make it a pretty great read.
This.I love almost everything about the books. From the magic system, characters, politics, social issues, drama, and action. I just wish we had more translators working on the series, since they're starting to fall quite a bit behind.

Also Index in its prime was really great, and Oregairu is a very enjoyable read.
My Queens

Sep 12, 2017 9:27 AM

Feb 2013
re zero for the historical shitstorm it started
Sep 12, 2017 9:27 AM

May 2016
Insertanamehere said:
Kara no Kyoukai first, followed by Monogatari, Decoration Disorder Disconnection and Spice and Wolf in no particular order
quick question, Is DDD still publishing or what?
Sep 12, 2017 9:28 AM

Nov 2016
-Mahesvara said:
Manaban said:

I just wish we had more translators working on the series, since they're starting to fall quite a bit behind.

You know, study, work, time, money or not many readers.
As least some people accept to translate works and let us read them for free.
Sep 12, 2017 9:33 AM

Dec 2012
Welcome to the NHK is my favorite anime related novel. The Crest of the Stars books I've read were also fantastic, I wish they were all translated.

Currently reading:
Haruhi Suzumiya
Hyouka
Spice & Wolf

Read some but stalled because of lack of translation:
Aesthetica of a Rogue Hero
Banner of the Stars (Seikai no Senki)
Boogiepop Series
Full Metal Panic
Moribito
Scrapped Princess
Tokyo Ravens
KruszerSep 12, 2017 9:36 AM
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Sep 12, 2017 9:33 AM
Jan 2015
AkeHomu said:
-Mahesvara said:

I just wish we had more translators working on the series, since they're starting to fall quite a bit behind.

Don't get me wrong, i really appreciate what those guys do for us. I just wish there were more to help out with the process.
My Queens

Sep 12, 2017 9:36 AM

Sep 2014
S-quare22 said:
The empty box of maria will stay the best written LN of all time

Basically this. Also Oregairu and Spice and Wolf are really good as well. And if you're interested in something a bit different then you can try Kino's Journey too.
Sep 12, 2017 9:37 AM

Mar 2016
SukaSuka of course... It's my favorite and looking forward for the sequel novel. I'm planning to start S&W.
Sep 12, 2017 9:39 AM
Oct 2013
RnDNEET021 said:
Probably Vamp!, Phenomeno, I want to eat your Pancreas, and Kino no Tabi

Haven't tried Hakomari yet..

Hakomari is really amazing. Give it a read soon :)
Sep 12, 2017 9:45 AM

Nov 2016
-Mahesvara said:
AkeHomu said:

Don't get me wrong, i really appreciate what those guys do for us. I just wish there were more to help out with the process.

Don't worry, I understood you.

It is frustrating indeed, I agree. Sometimes I find a novel interesting and see that the translation has been stopped since a long time. Or the one I'm reading stops abruptly.

But it's an investment issue, I think. If people support translators a little bit more (if it would only be one dollar on Patreon) maybe it will be a little better.
On Novel Update, there are novels that have 5,000 readers (reading list only) but stop already near chapter 100. If all these people donated a dollar per month on Patreon, the translator could've hired more people to translate or to replace him if he's busy.

Sep 12, 2017 9:48 AM

Feb 2016
Brb said:

As for ongoing ones, I really really like Madan no Ou followed by Mushoku and Tokyo Ravens.

BlackFIFA19 said:

Brb said:

BlackFIFA19 said:

Naahh shes the best thing Japan has ever given us, shes a wonderful character and people who cant see that simply dont see her beauty
Sep 12, 2017 9:58 AM

Aug 2014
Cactii said:
Insertanamehere said:

Yes, despite the fact theres only one volume to go it probably won't be finished for a while. (if ever, but let me hope
Sep 12, 2017 10:00 AM

Mar 2012
AkeHomu said:
-Mahesvara said:

Don't worry, I understood you.

It is frustrating indeed, I agree. Sometimes I find a novel interesting and see that the translation has been stopped since a long time. Or the one I'm reading stops abruptly.

But it's an investment issue, I think. If people support translators a little bit more (if it would only be one dollar on Patreon) maybe it will be a little better.
On Novel Update, there are novels that have 5,000 readers (reading list only) but stop already near chapter 100. If all these people donated a dollar per month on Patreon, the translator could've hired more people to translate or to replace him if he's busy.

If only translator have dedication like Warnis. Not that I'm discrediting other people hard work but got to love his work ethic. Translating constantly for 3 year releasing 2 chapter a week constantly with only one week break between volume. His dedication is also being paid in the form of being recruited when Rokujouma getting licensed as he is still the main translator.
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Sep 12, 2017 10:03 AM

Apr 2015
Welcome to the NHK, even if MAL won't count it as a light novel anymore.
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Sep 12, 2017 10:04 AM

May 2016
Insertanamehere said:
Cactii said:

Yes, despite the fact theres only one volume to go it probably won't be finished for a while. (if ever, but let me hope
When was the last time it got updated?
I really don't want to read forever-cliffhanger story, it makes me want to run and hit the wall
Is the arc concluded or is it a cliffhanger?
Sep 12, 2017 10:12 AM

Jun 2017
CatSoul said:
Welcome to the NHK, even if MAL won't count it as a light novel anymore.
Yeah I thought it was a book but it's too short ,
definitely a LN .

Sep 12, 2017 10:22 AM
Aug 2016
Naruto, One Piece, Bleach, Chaeos;Head and Mahou Sensou...
you're welcome..
Sep 12, 2017 10:33 AM

Sep 2015
I've only read 3 light novels: Haruhi series, Rokka no Yuusha and Maria's box or whatever it's called. Haruhi is probably the best out of those 3 but for me that's mostly down to the way it's written. Rokka has a good plot but lacks in a lot of the descriptive imagery and other such devices that make a novel enjoyable for me. Maria has those same problems but is so fucking boring that I really had to push myself to finish the first novel, definitely would not recommend it unless you like really edgy stuff.
Sep 12, 2017 12:25 PM

Mar 2015
Out of what I'm reading, A Certain Magical Index is probably my favorite.

I also love the Zaregoto Series (even though I've only read the first two books and wish Vertical would hurry up and release the rest already).

In Another World With My Smartphone is a relatively new series that I had loads of fun with. More fun than I've had reading anything in a long while I might add.
Sep 12, 2017 12:37 PM
Mar 2017
Obviously Juuni kokuki and kino no tabi.now close the thread.
Edit:@Kruszer try juuni kokuki going by what you listed you'd probably like it.
DaggerSep 12, 2017 12:41 PM
Sep 12, 2017 12:57 PM

Mar 2017
Based on the ones that I have read: Hai to Gensou no Grimgar, Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei & Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu (though I am slowly trying to read more series).
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The 'Help Identifying This Manga/Character' Thread v3 ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Mar 19, 2022

1054 by Francis_0 »»
5 hours ago

» 8 Manga to Get to Know You

spaceslut - Mar 12, 2023

37 by PlasticRobot »»
Yesterday, 3:47 PM

» Do you guys read manga online or physically? ( 1 2 )

LemonXChio - Oct 27, 2023

66 by Oofmastre9000 »»
Yesterday, 1:50 PM

» Have an amazing art in manga but not in anime

kirA_-_ - Apr 15

8 by YeeYeeAss »»
Yesterday, 1:33 PM

Sticky: » 2024 Manga Reading Challenge - Sign Up ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

MRC_mod - Jan 18

376 by HapHazrD »»
Yesterday, 4:50 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.