Forum Settings
Forums
A Silent Voice
Available on Manga Store
New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (8) « First ... « 5 6 [7] 8 »
Sep 7, 2017 8:32 PM

May 2015
FullyCharged said:
kikyo1hinamora said:
the only overated movie here is kimi no nawa

Everyone here has a different opinion. Everyone (should) respect others' opinions.
But no one has to agree with them.

For example, for me, seeing that the rating of Koe no Katachi is so close to the one of Kimi no na wa makes me cringe inside.
There is an huge abyss between this and Your Name. (At least for me)

To answer the first post, I think that this move it's extremely overrated as well.

Not bad, absolutely not bad, it's very good, but yet overrated. A lot.

I gave it a 7/10 at the time I saw it, because various reasons (mostly about the characters).
After reading the manga (to which I gave 8/10) I lowered my score to 6/10. The movie adaptation killed the last 2 volumes of the manga, basically making up an end with a scene from the second last volume, and all the part about the movie making for the school festival is almost completely cut out and put as a side thing. And the side characters' backstories...completely ignored.

(It's quite a bit late in the night for me so, if you want more reasoning about what I didn't like about this movie, read my review)

If you want to see a movie that makes a good telling of teenagers having trouble communicating to the other people, I advice you guys to watch Kokoro ga Sakebitagatterunda. It's basically this movie, with less cringy characters, and no cringy bullies. Definitely worth more the 8.24/10 it currently has, and probably even more the 9.08 rating of KnK.

My 2 cents. Bye.

Cringy isn't a criticism and KnK is way better than KnNw.

Sep 8, 2017 10:45 PM

Oct 2015
I mean it was fleshed out compared to the manga, it still a 8 ~ 9 for me. The removal of some scene definitely impacted the movie, I bet if this movie wasn't released alongside Kimi na wa, it probably would not be judged so harashly.

On another thought, I don't think series and movie are comparable. Anohana had more time to build up character developement and etcs while the other is adapted from a 60+ chapter manga and had to be fleshed out further to fit in the time slot.

Both are good but I prefer A Silent Voice.
Sep 8, 2017 10:46 PM

Oct 2015
I mean it was fleshed out compared to the manga, it still a 8 ~ 9 for me. The removal of some scene definitely impacted the movie, I bet if this movie wasn't released alongside Kimi na wa, it probably would not be judged so harashly.

On another thought, I don't think series and movie are comparable. Anohana had more time to build up character developement and etcs while the other is adapted from a 60+ chapter manga and had to be fleshed out further to fit in the time slot.

Sep 8, 2017 10:46 PM

Oct 2015

Sep 8, 2017 10:48 PM

Apr 2011
Takamura-sama said:

I liked the movie a lot, but you guys are acting as if this is as good as Clannad After story.

No one acts like it's as good as Clannad After Story

because it's actually WAY better than Clannad After Story

also why are you comparing the two ? they are completely different genre

Jack_100HP said:
this movie is so bad, what retard would bully a mentally disabled person?

You probably stop going to school a long time ago because there are a lot of assholes in school like the MC of this movie
Sep 9, 2017 12:11 AM

Jun 2016
I know this is an old thread, but... I don't think it's overrarted at all. This movie did such a great job of adapting the manga and showing both the struggles that Shouko and Shoya went through. I've been bullied for many years now and I have one deaf friend who also got bullied and this movie made me so emotional so many times. It has beautiful animation and soundtrack and the voice acting is also spot on. It's one of the best movies I've seen and I wish that it was actually more popular.
Help the industry and buy Blu-rays and DVD's.
Noragami is the best anime ever.
Sep 9, 2017 3:30 AM

Mar 2012
I think I said this before in the thread, but no god damn way is this movie overrated. It's not even all that well regarded in the first place. The movie got absolutlely eclipsed by Your Name and isn't even coming out in the US until next month.

Jack_100HP said:
this movie is so bad, what retard would bully a mentally disabled person?
Me. I did. When I was 7 years old.

Shouya is a little bit older than I was and he definitely took it a few steps further than I did, but to say it's out of character for a kid his age to bully a kid for being different... well you're wrong. Plenty of kids do that. I don't even know why I have to explain this to you.
Sep 9, 2017 3:40 AM
Jul 2018
@SeibaaHomu @Valaskjalf
maybe its because we live in a different society. aint no way anyone gonna let you do that stuff here. also bullies. from elementary to highschool, there were no bullies here.
Sep 9, 2017 3:46 AM

Jul 2017
I dont think this movie is overrated at all. Many people still dont know what movie is this.
Sep 9, 2017 4:31 AM

Mar 2012
Jack_100HP said:
@SeibaaHomu @Valaskjalf
maybe its because we live in a different society. aint no way anyone gonna let you do that stuff here. also bullies. from elementary to highschool, there were no bullies here.
Well even if you're telling the truth and you're not just turning a blind eye to all the stuff that goes on, that is sure as fuck not the society I grew up in buddy. It's also not the society the author grew up in either. Or most people for that matter.

Trashing a series because you don't have the same experiences as the author is honestly the dumbest fucking thing you could do.
Sep 9, 2017 5:17 AM
Jul 2018
@SeibaaHomu so expressing opinion is trashtalking? at least im not the one creating 20 accounts for boosting/downrating.(not saying that u are either)
Sep 9, 2017 6:22 AM

Oct 2015
rizuxizu said:

sorry but the characters are more fleshed out on the manga. No offense. A lot of characters lost their significance in the movie except the two main characters and shouko's sister
Sep 9, 2017 7:49 AM

Nov 2016
Jack_100HP said:
@SeibaaHomu so expressing opinion is trashtalking? at least im not the one creating 20 accounts for boosting/downrating.(not saying that u are either)

I don't think your expressing opinion more than feigning ignorance. Bullying is still very much a thing.
Sep 9, 2017 9:13 AM

Oct 2015
EGOIST said:
rizuxizu said:

sorry but the characters are more fleshed out on the manga. No offense. A lot of characters lost their significance in the movie except the two main characters and shouko's sister

Whelp brainfart ;O was a typo t.t meant to write the opposite of fleshed out
Sep 10, 2017 11:34 AM

Mar 2014
Jack_100HP said:
@SeibaaHomu @Valaskjalf
LMAO, bullying is very much a thing in the West, just because you didn't experience it it doesn't mean others haven't. In my homecountry there have even been cases of higher ups making up excuses for the bullies and trying to paint THEM as the victims – including in cases of rape.
Comic_SansSep 10, 2017 11:37 AM
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Sep 20, 2017 6:46 PM

Oct 2014
I agree with this thread, was expecting a 9/10, instead watched a 7/10. Normally I trust MAL ratings but this one was overblown.

I'm having a hard time thinking why I only give a 7 tbh but if I had to sum it up I'd say it is 2 things:

Firstly, it's kind of a miserable story, like from everyones perspective nobody is happy in this story, even at the end they are all still basically miserable.

Secondly, it's a tale of socially dysfunctional characters and I feel like that is the target audience. There is hardly any characters in this movie that aren't 100% socially handicapped. Not trying to sound pretentious or anything but it's just true. It's hard to relate to characters that basically autistic.
Sep 22, 2017 1:46 PM
Sep 2017
This is my favourite animated film ever. Very rarely does anything get me emotially invested in a story and it's characters. Almost every note this movie hits is flawless. I loved it so much I read every chapter in 2 days.
Sep 23, 2017 11:30 AM
Feb 2015
the manga is much better, the movie lost the meaning
Sep 28, 2017 8:29 AM
Aug 2015
Oh, it is pretty overrated. Same story, same characters as the manga, but a completely different feel. None of the characters feel the same, nor does the atmosphere.
Sep 30, 2017 6:36 PM

Jan 2009
The movie is totally overrated. It should be slightly above 8 but definitely not in the TOP 10. While the story is good the adaptation has several issues. Most of characters motives were left unexplained and without reading explanations on this forum i would have never understood some key-moments. After the ending i have had many questions unanswered and that was not because of my inattention but because some plot was left out from the manga. That is the main reason why the movie doesn't deserve such high ratings.
Oct 7, 2017 1:19 PM

Apr 2016
This movie wasnt bad at all, no not by any means, but it was not what i expected. Maybe i went with to much expectations into it, still i didnt get the feeling that this should be an masterpiece or smth like that.

Really enjoyed it - but no masterpiece for me, definitly overrated in my opinion.
Oct 7, 2017 1:23 PM

Aug 2017
i enjoyed the movie, yes, but i definitely do think it's overhyped
Oct 7, 2017 1:32 PM

Apr 2016
throughbeingcool said:
Homuru said:
This movie wasnt bad at all, no not by any means, but it was not what i expected. Maybe i went with to much expectations into it, still i didnt get the feeling that this should be an masterpiece or smth like that.

Really enjoyed it - but no masterpiece for me, definitly overrated in my opinion.

It's just the typical trend. It'll slowly fall down the ranks when new hype enters the picture and it gets more exposure.
That pretty much sums up my thoughts.
Oct 11, 2017 11:18 PM
Nov 2016
I think it's overrated just a smidge. It's still a good anime film, don't get me wrong but, it just felt kinda rushed... If this was an anime series then it would probably have been better
Oct 17, 2017 10:53 AM

Jun 2010
I would say it's slightly overrated, but then the scene with the two moms in the hospital happened and it broke me completely. Seriously, all the bullying, all the attempted suicides, all the self-hatred struggles, all of them were great, but that apology was the highlight of the film, by far. Second to the "money burning" scene, come to think of it, I guess I just get more emotionally invested in the parents' side of things for some reason.

The movie has plenty of "make'em feels" tropes that are recognizable from a mile away, sure, but has way less of them then Kimi no Na wa (and I only compare the two because I watched them back to back, not because it's apparently a thing) and handles them way better. Putting aside how any supernatural plot is naturally inferior to very real scenarios like bullying and disabilities, the tropes in Koe no Katachi seem more like "reasons for characters to struggle and grow" as opposed to "reasons characters can't be together yet". This film felt pretty natural, like the story could really happen, forgiving a couple of far-fetched coincidences.

Point is, I loved it. I didn't go even close to any of the hype surrounding this film (didn't even see any for this one, it was KnNw that I heard being praised to heaven and back) and with no bias one way or another, I gladly concluded I love this film. Again, the apology. Broke into tear spasms, dammit.
Oct 17, 2017 11:08 AM

Apr 2017
This movie has barely recieved any attention at all in the West so far. I'd say it's underrated if anything.
Oct 17, 2017 11:26 AM

Nov 2015
Koe no katachi I found it awesome, even though i felt none relation toward characters, if i did i imagine it would take spot in my heart:)
while Your name would be overrated, it was enjoyable movie, so i rated it highly as well but nothing of sort amazed me nearly as reputation says.
Oct 17, 2017 11:22 PM

Nov 2008
I'm watching it now. 1 hour and 26 minutes in. It had been sitting on my hard drive for months, so I didn't know what rating it had. Now that I see that it's a 9, fuck yes it's overrated. I like it, but it's tiresome and unrealistic at times. The animation isn't remarkable. I'll rate this a 7 when I'm done. A 6 if the last 43 minutes don't pay off.

Oct 17, 2017 11:34 PM

Nov 2016
Ezekiel said:
The animation isn't remarkable.

Are you serious? The animation is gorgeous.
Oct 17, 2017 11:35 PM
Jul 2018
Something being as good as Aftere Story isn't an achievement
Oct 18, 2017 12:30 AM

Nov 2008
Pixel_Vapour said:
Ezekiel said:
The animation isn't remarkable.

There is a good amount of movement, but what's moving isn't that attractive. The character designs aren't that interesting. A lot of the backgrounds are simplistic and static and look like they're out of a visual novel, and the whole movie has this ugly lens-like filter that blurs everything around the center. I don't get the point of it.

Oct 20, 2017 10:42 PM
Fuwa_san

Mar 2013
Most these overhyped fans (not everyone) are halfbake anime fans. They probably have seen KokoSake before Koe No Katachi. And judge a series they never exposed to until the overate media saying "you should watch because it's good" get to them. Please, you are making this sound better than anohana. Plus this series used the same setting as kokosake a year after.
Oct 21, 2017 4:11 AM

May 2017
Not overrated at all.
Oct 21, 2017 4:13 AM

May 2017
No not overrated at all. I cried like a baby and related alot with the main character. 10/10 for me
Dec 15, 2017 4:42 PM

Jul 2011
For me it is.
I only gave 5/10.

Dull animation, false and artificial emotional basis, mostly average characters, unimpressive narrative and atmosphere, poorly written script, almost failed worldbuilding, etc.
The idea was brilliant, however implementation failed.

It's not bad, not good.. Just average imho.
Dec 18, 2017 5:49 AM

Nov 2014
Ezekiel said:
Pixel_Vapour said:

There is a good amount of movement, but what's moving isn't that attractive. The character designs aren't that interesting. A lot of the backgrounds are simplistic and static and look like they're out of a visual novel, and the whole movie has this ugly lens-like filter that blurs everything around the center. I don't get the point of it.

What are you talking, the animation is amazing, it tells a lot of things just by the movements of eyes, you were sleepy or something... also the blur can simbolize that nishimiya is deaf and she cant hear her sorroundings. I sugest you to watch this video https://youtu.be/ThR8_4c-hvU
Dec 20, 2017 2:17 PM
Aug 2014
This could have been great, but way too many details and background characters were pretty much glossed over. It should have been 12 episodes at least. I anticipated this movie more than Kimi No Na Wa, and I really wanted it to be better.
Dec 20, 2017 2:19 PM

Dec 2013
Don't you think that these threads are overrated?

Dec 20, 2017 2:51 PM

May 2015
nick_el_son said:
For me it is.
I only gave 5/10.

Dull animation, false and artificial emotional basis, mostly average characters, unimpressive narrative and atmosphere, poorly written script, almost failed worldbuilding, etc.
The idea was brilliant, however implementation failed.

It's not bad, not good.. Just average imho.

Not even close. lol

Jan 10, 2018 8:54 AM
Jun 2014
Skaya said:
Yes.

Also, I really hate when movies try to come off as really deep, when they're really not.
Plus, how the blond girl was allowed to be portraiyed as this innocent, frail girl pissed me off. So many things she did was bitchy and selfish, but no one really calls her on it..

Yeah, many characters did some pretty mean things along the way but its never addressed. The happy ending isn't earned at all. I really loved the first 30 minutes, then it just went downhill from there.
Jan 10, 2018 8:58 AM

Jul 2017
I think it deserves its spot.

Crying doesn't mean you're weak.
Enduring doesn't mean you're strong.
Jan 22, 2018 11:58 PM
Jun 2016
zcohen17 said:
kikyo1hinamora said:
the only overated movie here is kimi no nawa
Agreed, it was a great movie, but definitely over-hyped for me. There are just some glaring plot holes I can't over look with Your Name.
I few Kimi no na Wa the same way everyone else views Eromanga-sensei. An enjoyable but trashy show. Its only strength is really in its spectacle (Music and animation. Nothing else, definitely not directing).

On the plus side, at least Koe no Katachi has the most character favourites of the two films. Which is especially impressive considering that Kimi no na Wa is twice as popular.
Koe no Katachi: 8879
Kimi no na Wa: 5728
(Yes I did go through the work of tallying that up because I'm desperate to prove that Koe no Katachi is the better film in some way or another)
Takamura-sama said:
I mean it was a 7/10 for me. A really good anime, but I think it's slightly overrated.
It feels like Anohana but worse TO ME.
I liked the movie a lot, but you guys are acting as if this is as good as Clannad After story.

Can Someone tell me why they liked this movie so much? I don't really understand.
I don't understand how you could consider Anohana and Clannad Afterstory so good but Koe no Katachi not.

Clannad Afterstory has:
A: A first season
B: A cast of occasionally terrible side characters
C: Only a single great moment (And 3 or 4 good moments)
D: Very slow pace (As a result of adapting every arc from the visual novel instead of the main route)
E: A terrible dub (And a dub is kind of necessary given the pace)

Anohana is something I wouldn't dare watch a second time because of how cheap and obvious it is with its attempts to pull the heartstrings

Don't get me wrong, Koe no Katachi has flaws. It's not entirely logically consistent, the ending was cringeworthy and a few lines of dialogue were very forced. However, it has an astounding density of emotional moments, character building scenes and moments that truly show Naoko Yamada's genius as a director.

I like Clannad, but without a doubt, Koe no Katachi is a better anime. This isn't even a close contest. I've watched it 10 times and each time it hit me in the feels. Clannad stopped doing so the 5th time through and Kimi no na Wa didn't even get me once.

I'm sure if you re-watch Koe no Katachi you'll enjoy it far more.
Jan 23, 2018 1:23 AM

Jun 2015
Tenderizer17 said:
zcohen17 said:
Agreed, it was a great movie, but definitely over-hyped for me. There are just some glaring plot holes I can't over look with Your Name.
I few Kimi no na Wa the same way everyone else views Eromanga-sensei. An enjoyable but trashy show. Its only strength is really in its spectacle (Music and animation. Nothing else, definitely not directing).

On the plus side, at least Koe no Katachi has the most character favourites of the two films. Which is especially impressive considering that Kimi no na Wa is twice as popular.
(Yes I did go through the work of tallying that up because I'm desperate to prove that Koe no Katachi is the better film in some way or another)
Takamura-sama said:
I mean it was a 7/10 for me. A really good anime, but I think it's slightly overrated.
It feels like Anohana but worse TO ME.

Can Someone tell me why they liked this movie so much? I don't really understand.
I don't understand how you could consider Anohana and Clannad Afterstory so good but Koe no Katachi not.

Clannad Afterstory has:
D: Very slow pace (As a result of adapting every arc from the visual novel instead of the main route)

Anohana is something I wouldn't dare watch a second time because of how cheap and obvious it is with its attempts to pull the heartstrings

Don't get me wrong, Koe no Katachi has flaws. It's not entirely logically consistent, the ending was cringeworthy and a few lines of dialogue were very forced. However, it has an astounding density of emotional moments, character building scenes and moments that truly show Naoko Yamada's genius as a director.

I like Clannad, but without a doubt, Koe no Katachi is a better anime. This isn't even a close contest. I've watched it 10 times and each time it hit me in the feels. Clannad stopped doing so the 5th time through and Kimi no na Wa didn't even get me once.

This triggers me in more than 5 reasons.

1.Eromanga was a fun anime
2. The only reason why Koe no katachi has more favorite characters is because of the edgy bullied teenagers on mal thinking "I can relate to her/him so I'm going to put him in my favorites!"
3. I like the fact that clannad has more seasons. It makes the character not one dimensional as they are in most films.
4. Clannad had no bad side characters. Koe no katachi in contrary has close to no development for their side chars
5. Clannad after story has a total of 729273887 good moments. Yes every second of after story showed the greatness of the his masterpiece.
6. Who says slow pace is a bad thing? And the story wasn't that slow pacedown

"Anohana is something I wouldn't dare watch a second time because of how cheap and obvious it is with its attempts to pull the heartstrings" multiply this by 9999 and change that to Koe no katachi and you have my opinion of this show that "captivated the viewers feelings"

All Koe noe katachi is in my eyes is a meh film. It is meant for edgy teenagers who want to kill themself or get bullied or have no friends in my eyes. And mal has plenty of these people.

I'm sure if I rewatch Koe no kotachi I would find it more a "cringy" film than a serious one.
In the name of Allah, the Gracious, the Merciful. | You know what I hate the most? People who aren't free. They're no more than cattle.
Jan 23, 2018 7:00 AM

Apr 2017
Takamura-sama said:
All Koe noe katachi is in my eyes is a meh film. It is meant for edgy teenagers who want to kill themself or get bullied or have no friends in my eyes. And mal has plenty of these people.

Feel free to think this film is "meh", but you are clearly wrong in your childish claim about its audience. Koe no Katachi is generally praised by critics and the global audience. But you're obviously not gonna like it if you like Eromanga-sensei, with "edgy" weebs and lolicons as target audience.
Jan 23, 2018 7:13 AM

May 2015
Takamura-sama said:
Tenderizer17 said:

Clannad Afterstory has:

This triggers me in more than 5 reasons.

2. The only reason why Koe no katachi has more favorite characters is because of the edgy bullied teenagers on mal thinking "I can relate to her/him so I'm going to put him in my favorites!"
3. I like the fact that clannad has more seasons. It makes the character not one dimensional as they are in most films.
4. Clannad had no bad side characters. Koe no katachi in contrary has close to no development for their side chars
5. Clannad after story has a total of 729273887 good moments. Yes every second of after story showed the greatness of the his masterpiece.

"Anohana is something I wouldn't dare watch a second time because of how cheap and obvious it is with its attempts to pull the heartstrings" multiply this by 9999 and change that to Koe no katachi and you have my opinion of this show that "captivated the viewers feelings"

I'm sure if I rewatch Koe no kotachi I would find it more a "cringy" film than a serious one.

It's amazing how wrong you are.

Jan 23, 2018 7:22 AM
Jun 2016
I took a while to respond, because how wrong you were about everything you said motivated me to re-watch Koe no Katachi (Which was magnificently enjoyable). I'm gonna break it down point by point.

Takamura-sama said:
Yeah sure, Eromanga Sensei was fun, but it was by no means a masterpiece (Such as that which Kimi no na Wa is being made out to be). There are more fun anime out there, such as Azumanga Daioh! and Ouran Host Club. But anyway, Kimi no na Wa is beside the point.

Takamura-sama said:
The only reason why Koe no katachi has more favorite characters is because of the edgy bullied teenagers on mal thinking "I can relate to her/him so I'm going to put him in my favorites!"
I can assure you that isn't the case. The characters have astounding depth, a small portion of which will be explained in the process of countering one of your point on Koe no Katachi being "cheap and obvious with its attempts to pull the heartstrings". Also, if the reason was that simple (Nishimiya being someone the viewer sympathizes with), then would that necessarily be a bad thing. Having relatable characters isn't a criticism, and it doesn't say that being relatable is their only positive quality.

Takamura-sama said:
The problem with Clannad having a first season, is that the first season is terrible. It's poorly written, cliche as fuck and slow.

Takamura-sama said:
4. Clannad had no bad side characters. Koe no katachi in contrary has close to no development for their side chars .
I present Ryou as an example, a character who's sole abilities are fortune telling and loving the protagonist. Tsunohara who's sole character traits are stupidity and delinquency. The writers of Clannad seem to believe having two character traits prevents characters from being one dimensional.

Takamura-sama said:
No anime has that many good moments. I'll admit maybe 4-5 was an understatement but it's definitely below 20. If you consider any anime perfect, you don't understand the nature of this medium. I'll admit only about 90% of Koe no Katachi is good, and that's from someone who loves it shamelessly. Anyway, to start with the first 8 or so episodes of afterstory are completely mediocre. For the remaining episodes, it fluctuates in quality, ultimately coming together to form a great whole, but nonetheless ends up being a lesser product than Koe no Katachi

Takamura-sama said:
The issue is, Clannad adapts multiple arcs of the visual novel it's based on, which is a problem because every arc other than the main one is mediocre. Perhaps slow pace might not be the correct word, but at least I'd say it definitely goes nowhere for too long. I know the movie adapts only the main arc and is terrible, but that's because the director isn't very good and a movie is too short. So yeah, I think my issue is with the first season and first 8 episodes of after story when referring to pace. If those were cut out and replaced with something more concise it'd be a better watch.

Takamura-sama said:
Koe no Katachi is neither cheap nor obvious about its emotional moments. The greatest emotional moments are both compelling and subtle. This is where I'll provide examples of the disparity in character depth.
a: When Ueno and Yaeko fight, Yuzuru tries to tell them to stop, but stops part way through. Previously, she (accidentally typed "he" for a moment there) made decisions for everyone else. Preventing Ishida from interacting with Nishimiya, ignoring her mothers insistence that she and Nishimiya avoid Ishida, using the photos as a suicide countermeasure. In this scene it is made apparent that she doesn't trust her own judgement anymore and because of that, she is unable to tell them to stop fighting. This is definitely a tragic moment if you pick up on the nuance here, and conveys a depth of character Clannad can only dream of.
b: I'm gonna show you a scene here quickly to speed this one up.
In this scene, it is conveyed through the subtleties of her expression that she both has a desire to befriend Nishimiya, and finds the barriers between their interaction far too insurmountable. After which, she leaves with her clique and says goodbye to Nishimiya, which is her gently saying she doesn't want her around. Her inability to communicate contributes to her bullying Nishimiya, and directly causes her bullying of Sahara. I interpret her bullying of Sahara as her jealousy, she envies Sahara for being able to talk so freely with Nishimiya and because of that detests her.

Takamura-sama said:
I do not even remotely comprehend your logic here. Is One Punch Man meant for overpowered superheroes? is Steins;gate meant for time travellers? Is psycho-pass meant for law enforcement? The subject matter and target audience aren't the same thing.

Footnote: I should probably be clear on something quickly before I go. I by no means intend to say Clannad Afterstory is a irredeemably bad anime (despite the gravity of my arguments), I just mean to say that it is both imperfect and not as good as Koe no Katachi.

EDIT: I realize neither of the examples of nuanced tragedy and character depth I provided were related to the protagonists. I do have examples for them already conceived if you really must hear of them.
Tenderizer79Jan 23, 2018 7:37 AM
Jan 23, 2018 12:46 PM

Jun 2015

Tenderizer17 said:
I took a while to respond, because how wrong you were about everything you said motivated me to re-watch Koe no Katachi (Which was magnificently enjoyable). I'm gonna break it down point by point.

Takamura-sama said:
Yeah sure, Eromanga Sensei was fun, but it was by no means a masterpiece (Such as that which Kimi no na Wa is being made out to be). There are more fun anime out there, such as Azumanga Daioh! and Ouran Host Club. But anyway, Kimi no na Wa is beside the point.

Takamura-sama said:
The only reason why Koe no katachi has more favorite characters is because of the edgy bullied teenagers on mal thinking "I can relate to her/him so I'm going to put him in my favorites!"
I can assure you that isn't the case. The characters have astounding depth, a small portion of which will be explained in the process of countering one of your point on Koe no Katachi being "cheap and obvious with its attempts to pull the heartstrings". Also, if the reason was that simple (Nishimiya being someone the viewer sympathizes with), then would that necessarily be a bad thing. Having relatable characters isn't a criticism, and it doesn't say that being relatable is their only positive quality.

Takamura-sama said:
The problem with Clannad having a first season, is that the first season is terrible. It's poorly written, cliche as fuck and slow.

Takamura-sama said:
4. Clannad had no bad side characters. Koe no katachi in contrary has close to no development for their side chars .
I present Ryou as an example, a character who's sole abilities are fortune telling and loving the protagonist. Tsunohara who's sole character traits are stupidity and delinquency. The writers of Clannad seem to believe having two character traits prevents characters from being one dimensional.

Takamura-sama said:
No anime has that many good moments. I'll admit maybe 4-5 was an understatement but it's definitely below 20. If you consider any anime perfect, you don't understand the nature of this medium. I'll admit only about 90% of Koe no Katachi is good, and that's from someone who loves it shamelessly. Anyway, to start with the first 8 or so episodes of afterstory are completely mediocre. For the remaining episodes, it fluctuates in quality, ultimately coming together to form a great whole, but nonetheless ends up being a lesser product than Koe no Katachi

Takamura-sama said:
The issue is, Clannad adapts multiple arcs of the visual novel it's based on, which is a problem because every arc other than the main one is mediocre. Perhaps slow pace might not be the correct word, but at least I'd say it definitely goes nowhere for too long. I know the movie adapts only the main arc and is terrible, but that's because the director isn't very good and a movie is too short. So yeah, I think my issue is with the first season and first 8 episodes of after story when referring to pace. If those were cut out and replaced with something more concise it'd be a better watch.

Takamura-sama said:
Koe no Katachi is neither cheap nor obvious about its emotional moments. The greatest emotional moments are both compelling and subtle. This is where I'll provide examples of the disparity in character depth.
a: When Ueno and Yaeko fight, Yuzuru tries to tell them to stop, but stops part way through. Previously, she (accidentally typed "he" for a moment there) made decisions for everyone else. Preventing Ishida from interacting with Nishimiya, ignoring her mothers insistence that she and Nishimiya avoid Ishida, using the photos as a suicide countermeasure. In this scene it is made apparent that she doesn't trust her own judgement anymore and because of that, she is unable to tell them to stop fighting. This is definitely a tragic moment if you pick up on the nuance here, and conveys a depth of character Clannad can only dream of.
b: I'm gonna show you a scene here quickly to speed this one up.
In this scene, it is conveyed through the subtleties of her expression that she both has a desire to befriend Nishimiya, and finds the barriers between their interaction far too insurmountable. After which, she leaves with her clique and says goodbye to Nishimiya, which is her gently saying she doesn't want her around. Her inability to communicate contributes to her bullying Nishimiya, and directly causes her bullying of Sahara. I interpret her bullying of Sahara as her jealousy, she envies Sahara for being able to talk so freely with Nishimiya and because of that detests her.

Takamura-sama said:
I do not even remotely comprehend your logic here. Is One Punch Man meant for overpowered superheroes? is Steins;gate meant for time travellers? Is psycho-pass meant for law enforcement? The subject matter and target audience aren't the same thing.

Footnote: I should probably be clear on something quickly before I go. I by no means intend to say Clannad Afterstory is a irredeemably bad anime (despite the gravity of my arguments), I just mean to say that it is both imperfect and not as good as Koe no Katachi.

EDIT: I realize neither of the examples of nuanced tragedy and character depth I provided were related to the protagonists. I do have examples for them already conceived if you really must hear of them.

I am not even going to give you a serious reply after this bullshit i just read.

I just finished my amazing workout and I'm going to end this here.
In the name of Allah, the Gracious, the Merciful. | You know what I hate the most? People who aren't free. They're no more than cattle.
Jan 23, 2018 12:47 PM

Jun 2015
zodd0 said:
Takamura-sama said:

Feel free to think this film is "meh", but you are clearly wrong in your childish claim about its audience. Koe no Katachi is generally praised by critics and the global audience. But you're obviously not gonna like it if you like Eromanga-sensei, with "edgy" weebs and lolicons as target audience.

Lol I think that I liked eromanga more than Koe no katachi.

my reason for this:

I thought eromanga was hilarious
Jan 23, 2018 12:49 PM
Jun 2016
Takamura-sama said:
I am not even going to give you a serious reply after this bullshit i just read.

I just finished my amazing workout and I'm going to end this here.
Good idea, I definitely don't want to go through the trouble of writing another one of those monstrosities.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, nothing I wrote was bullshit. There were a few flaws in my argument but even the areas where my argument is flawed hold up quite well. And even if what I wrote was stupid, it was by no means worse than what you wrote beforehand (Which I'm not alone in thinking was laughably bad).

Oh also, I forgot to say the most damning counter-argument I have. If the acclaim of this film was only due to the themes of suicide appealing to edgy teens, then why isn't colorful, orange, AURA: Maryuuin Kouga Saigo no Tatakai, myself;youself or trickster up there. This film, I'm sure, does have a stronger appeal to those who relate to its themes, but it's nonetheless really well executed with a strong cast of five main characters, spectacular directing and the occasionally brilliant (although occasionally cringey) writing.
Tenderizer79Jan 24, 2018 4:58 AM
Sep 6, 2018 8:15 PM

Sep 2016
TsukuyomiREKT said:

Cringy isn't a criticism and KnK is way better than KnNw.

Nice arguments you brought :D

No don't worry, I'm not interested in reading them now. Next time elaborate sooner :D
bruh
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (8) « First ... « 5 6 [7] 8 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Koe no Katachi Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

nihon_no_tsuki - Sep 21, 2016

700 by Morragan »»
Apr 4, 5:29 PM

» Ueno and miki (Spoiler)

Gilbertaxel17 - Jan 14

17 by Marianolove_55 »»
Mar 16, 9:39 AM

» Did you cry? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stacias - Aug 1, 2022

257 by LoveLikeBlood »»
Mar 3, 1:41 PM

» Sharing Whispers with Shoko - Moments that Made Us Fee

Sad-Life - Dec 31, 2023

11 by Aryan422 »»
Jan 2, 9:21 AM

» What are your opinions on Tomohiro?

Aldanaonair - Dec 29, 2023

7 by Squatch70 »»
Dec 29, 2023 1:52 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.