Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (27) « First ... « 22 23 [24] 25 26 » ... Last »
Oct 22, 2016 10:39 PM

Sep 2013
Great revelation at the end! Squeeler was a bit of a bastard, but it's hard to not feel for the plight of the Queerats.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.
Oct 28, 2016 7:51 PM

Jan 2016
I liked Shinsejai yori a lot, much more than I thought I would when I watched the first episodes. It was pretty interesting how it explored human behavior and how Saki discovered the truths of the world. My favourite characters ended up being Maria and Kiroumaru.

Not sure if somebody else agrees with this, but I think this last arc was better in the manga than in the anime. It gave me more unrest (not just for the blood) and felt more complete I guess. They added some more characters and I felt it was more intense. Still, I enjoyed both a lot which is why I watched and read them at the same time. Although it's a shame that there aren't goods or stuff to buy because apparently this didn't sell much.
Nov 9, 2016 5:41 AM

Jul 2008
Wow....so It's what most of us thought, the rats were humans all along. Non Cantus users so they were mutated into a less than slave race.

Unfortunately human beings are capable of such atrocities and cruelty, our own greed and selfishness blinds us to that or worse justifies such things.

This gets a 10/10 for me.
Nov 19, 2016 10:10 AM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
Talk about big revelations at the end...

The Messiah was Maria's child, and it looked so much like her, with the red hair, so really I felt something seeing she dying, and again this just makes me hate Squealer all the more! He is just a coward, scumbag lying bastard, his motives maybe noble for his race, and he does justify his action BUT the way he behaves, he talks about those sacrifices like it is nothing, no matter what people say he is a ruthless killer, he used Maria and Mamoru, stole their child and then killed them, Maria is one of my favorites and I workshipped her and Saki (fuck Satori, Shun was a better ship).
Squealer isnt a human, far from it, he is a monster, just like those in charge of this society are, when they order people with low Cantus ability to be killed!!
I cant forgive both sides, Kiroumaru was more human than each of them, that said I m glad Saki decided to kill Squealer, because whatever filt he is, I still think that those who decided to put such sentence on him, are even worst scum.

Great anime that still left some surprised to the end, while I dislike the fact that Maria's farewell was just like that, that the anime keep teasing about Maria appearing with ED2 and that Saki saying that Maria was the cause of many people dying later on (episode 2), all hints to something that is quite the way the plot hints you to, I prefer if Maria was a fiend and made a comeback.

Also people seem to be forgetting but there is this huge plothole going on, so Messiah can kill the army of Giant Hornets, queerats themselves, and avoid the Death Feedback, but then kills Kiroumaru and boom, dead... it just doesnt add to me.

Forgot to mention, this was too cute for my levels of sugar to take!

PlaycoolNov 21, 2016 3:48 PM
Dec 2, 2016 3:15 AM

Oct 2015
This was a very good anime with a cruel and great a tale. Loved it so much and was the best mystery and superpower i have watched so far.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Dec 3, 2016 6:01 PM

Feb 2015
Intense_ said:

Thats the point. She was erased from their memory, the only thing they managed to figure out about her was that she existed. After the first few episodes I too was confused why they forgot about her, but around episode 8 or 9 the bomb about it was clearly dropped.
Dec 3, 2016 6:03 PM

Feb 2015
Definitely a great tale with an extremely unique premise, I bet the novel is a good read and expands on it further.

Also, can somebody explain to me what these meant at the end? I can't read Japanese unfortunatly:

Dec 4, 2016 8:17 AM

Apr 2016
Green said:
Intense_ said:

Thats the point. She was erased from their memory, the only thing they managed to figure out about her was that she existed. After the first few episodes I too was confused why they forgot about her, but around episode 8 or 9 the bomb about it was clearly dropped.

I know that she was erased from their memory what I was trying to say is that I felt so sorry for her
Dec 26, 2016 3:49 AM

Oct 2014
this anime legitimately hurt my feelings

10/10 tho
LunoireDec 28, 2016 4:19 AM
Jan 13, 2017 9:01 AM
Feb 2015
Awesome show, just so much suspense, and always some mistery about something, I loved to watch every episode only to wonder what would the next one unveil
Jan 13, 2017 3:19 PM

Aug 2014
Well that was...interesting. Really liked Kiroumaru, so his death was truly a shame, but atleast his sacrifice was not for nothing. The whole deal with Queerats actually being humans was a surprise...overall a 8/10 for me.
Jan 17, 2017 3:36 AM

Mar 2014
Feudal Star Wars set far, far into the future, localized entirely within Japan. What?

9/10
Jan 24, 2017 10:22 AM
Jan 2017
playcool I just re-watched this series and I noticed something about the plot hole too. Actually they never said the beastmen were slaughtered by Maria's child, only that none of their weapons were found on them - I think squealer's army took care of the other side's army themselves, whilst the child disabled their protection. The real plot hole is, why did he never use the child to kill other colony members? How could he have known the child would identify with them as beastmen and not a human? That would take some psychology and I don't know if the hypothetical captured library would have explained all that. Not to mention the sophistication of the child's attack seems like she had a lot of practice at such a young age to go about slaughtering everybody, wouldn't she have tried at least once to kill an enemy beastman? And have found out the hard way it wouldn't work more than once.

ac_bd I think the big dilemma for them is, they're the ones who are able to think freely. How do you overthrow this system and create a more just system? Do you undo the changes to the beastmen? How would you get the populace to accept this fundamental change in society? Actually, it would have been a massive fundamental change in society to begin the story with, so on one side you have walking nuclear bombs with limitless charges; on the other you have human survivors that aren't inhibited from killing the walking nukes. The fallout must have been massive devastation on both sides and a lot of strange creatures coming about this conflict. Obviously the ones with the power had to limit themselves from abusing it against themselves but wanting to stay at the top of the food chain above the non-pk users. There was a part of the story that mentioned the only reliable way to prevent pk users to not hurt each other was genetic, but if so that would leave them helpless against non-pk surprise attack.

At this point it seems children of pk users inherit their abilities with some reliability so they could consider themselves a new species of human, capable of inter-breeding with normal humans but maybe with less reliable chance of passing on their abilities. Why would the pk users weaken themselves with members that can't use pk? So they set themselves apart and with the dilemma of how to prevent misuse of their powers on their own. If the only difference between a pk and non-pk user is the demonstration of ability, it would make it hard to genetically encode their children to prevent killing other humans unless they make the other tribes not human. Is it inhumane? Yes but most of the populace doesn't have to know about it - hence the prohibition against examining queerat dna - they don't want any touchy-feely pk user changing the system.

What can Saki and Satoru do now? They're still members of society and not even major influential members, so the change they can effect would be minimal and might even cause them to be censured and prevented any further progress. The surviving population is angry and are determined to destroy the queerats that rebelled so it's hard enough for Saki to preserve the giant hornet colony with the little influence she has. Satoru has even less since he just investigates, he can pursue his own research but can't change the governing members' minds. No justice can be pursued - it was an atrocity that happened a long time ago and both sides, however justified or unjustified, wanted what was best for themselves. The resolution is disappointing because it is really complex - how do you address the actions of your ancestors or of your tribesmen that resulted in massive amounts of death? I think the ending is, you have to live with how things are and make small changes hopefully for the better. It never does explore if conditions change for the queerat population, but I can't imagine they would ever be allowed free reign and interaction over (or under) wherever humans live. It's why Saki addresses her memoirs to the people a thousand years in the future from her, because she wanted the future to know what happened and how it came about, with hope that the future will be better for everybody.

The issue with queerats being human was a half-surprise to me, with a story like this so drawn out, you never get the idea they've been genetically manipulated on purpose, as opposed to mole rats accidentally becoming humanoid and intelligent due to leaking psychic energy. You only get to know they're truly human in the last episode when their dna is examined. Ok so they were already known to be intelligent but the fact that they're altered humans makes it more horrific. The other members of society, however, are the ones conditioned and propagate the idea that they're beasts, little more than lesser beings what can occasionally follow orders. Even unconditioned, people nowadays feel like other people who have very little distinction apart from themselves, are vastly different lifeforms. They dehumanize each other on the basis of skin color, religion, gender, orientation, political affiliation and even choice of wardrobe. How much easier is it to dehumanize a creature that speaks in guttural languages and appears much different from your own without any powers whatsoever? Especially since there has never been a case of these creatures developing pk - probably done to them on purpose - since these are humans, the chance of them or their offspring developing pk should have already happened unless their development was interfered with.

eclipsoJan 24, 2017 11:02 AM
Feb 6, 2017 6:08 AM

Apr 2009
Green said:
Also, can somebody explain to me what these meant at the end? I can't read Japanese unfortunatly:

I can't read Japanese either but I did a search and that's suppose to mean:
すべてを変える, 想像力こそが 。
Romaji: Souzouryoku koso subete ga, wo kaeru.
English: The power of imagination is what changes everything.

Sources: Here and here.

Kanji for "The End".
Source: The second example used here.
You see there's no need to wonder where your god is,
Coz he's right here! ...and he's fresh out of mercy.
Feb 8, 2017 12:22 PM

Apr 2013
So i'm just gonna destroy that anthrax, and have Kiroumaru sacrifice his life instead. Yeah, much better plan.

And wtf happened to Maria and Mamoru? How did squealer get their baby? What happened to all the babies that were taken during the queerat raids?

Decent story, would have been better if not entirely predictable. Predictable uprising, predictable reason for it, and predictable last minute reveal on who or what the queerats really were.

Meh. 6/10
Feb 21, 2017 2:33 PM

Aug 2013
Many plot holes, true. But who cares. It's not a real history anyway.
Second part of last episode was mind blowing.
8/10 for me (maybe I will change it to 9). It wasn't spectacular, but the world was really interesting, the whole concept with 'rats'.
Visuals... Average in not positive way. First 4 episodes looked flawless. Unfortunately the rest wasn't that good and sometimes even bad (3DCG elements).
First ending song is great.

PS. As I thought, 8th episode was totally unneeded. You can watch even watch this series without 8th episode and you won't be missing ANYTHING.
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Mar 2, 2017 3:31 PM
Mar 2017
This was the best episode of the series. I like how they end it off with a somewhat nice conclusion and a chilling fact. 10/10. But I can't say the entire buildup leading to this was smooth. I was very close to dropping this (before reaching halfway) but chose to stay and it paid off. Final score: 8/10
Mar 9, 2017 10:22 AM

Nov 2016
Pretty good series. 8/10. Loved the twist where you find out Queerats were human all along. I did not predict that. However I could not understand a lot about this series and a lot of it flew over my head. Not as good as I hoped it would have been but regardless it's worth a rewatch.
Mar 25, 2017 1:23 PM

Aug 2015
Fantastic series overall, the atmosphere was tense , the story had it´s highs but had some lows (ep8-10 mostly) and some pacing issues like n the winter arc
The show had amazing worldbuilding but was at the cost of the characters. The emotional moments didn´t do nothing to m, like shun death, while some characters lacked development like mamoru and maria , satoru was fine and saki was a good protagonist. Squealer, on other hand, was the true hero of the show, what a amazing character tbh.
The OST was pretty good and the animation was ok-ish but in some moments really shine.

The only 2 questions I have is how mamoru survived to the tainted cat in the school , and what is the endtheme they were going, . the only think I can think was“yes, these people have done terrible things, but humanity always does terrible things, and you can still see the humanity of these characters.”

Edit: I think they could ended with the monologue that saki has in the end in the of the novel "The question was: should we want that change? I have not told anyone of my onw views on this becuase I can´t imagine it would be well accepted. So I´ll only mention here. I admit that attack inhibition and death feedback have brought peace and order. But they are rigid, unatural solutionthat don´t solve the real problema .Like a turtle with a crack it´s Shell, once your defense are weakened, there is nothing you can do to stop the enmy from flooding in a laying waste. Fomr the last fience appearence, and the disaster a decade ago, we can clearly see what kind of terro arise when attack inhibition and death feedback fail. At some point we have to cut off these 2 fetters that bind us. In order to do that it might cost everything we have. I didn’t want to believe it, but I felt that if the new order wasn’t sealed with a massive amount of bloodshed, it might never take hold. "
CT_BINOMar 25, 2017 3:38 PM
Apr 2, 2017 4:26 PM

Dec 2016
The reason why I saw this anime was because I heard it was one of the darkest anime ever. While the anime itself wasn't any terrifying, tense or shocking for me, the message behind it about our human nature is actually very dark and accurate, sadly. Maybe that's why I expected the Queerats to be humans a while ago... Guess that's just typical human behavior, the most powerful being assholes with the less apt and capable. After that, most of the relevant characters were very well developed overall, specially the "villains". Just as some other animes, like Psycho-Pass (S1), my favorite character is the villain, Squealer in this case. Why? Right from the start he knew the system was absolutely rotten and corrupted. He tried the unthinkable to achieve his goals, as he was sure the humans with powers would never grant the Squeerats (humans without power) their deserved liberty. He and his comrades sacrificed for the cause. Unfortunately, Kiroumaru helped the wrong side (for the wrong reasons too, like fear) and so they failed. Now, there was no absolute good or bad side. Not every human with powers knew the truth about Squeerats and some of the ones who knew couldn't make a think about it. The Squeerats also killed a ridiculous amount of people, maybe there was a less savage way to gain their liberty, who knows. Well, that's my perspective about the series. Animation and sound were ok/good, nothing spectacular. I found myself either bored or uninterested at some points of the first half of the story, but the other half was spectacular. The story also felt dark for the first time for me, which I knew would take at least some built up to happen. Overall a 9/10.
Dr_Manhattan95Apr 2, 2017 4:35 PM
Apr 2, 2017 4:53 PM

Dec 2016
curzon17 said:
So i'm just gonna destroy that anthrax, and have Kiroumaru sacrifice his life instead. Yeah, much better plan.

And wtf happened to Maria and Mamoru? How did squealer get their baby? What happened to all the babies that were taken during the queerat raids?

Decent story, would have been better if not entirely predictable. Predictable uprising, predictable reason for it, and predictable last minute reveal on who or what the queerats really were.

Meh. 6/10

She destroyed the anthrax because it was about to kill the child of two of her closest friends (who was never bad, just educated to be a monster) and also Satoru. By the way, the anthrax was infectious so possibly she saved herself too, so I don't blame her for his reaction at all.

About Maria and Mamoru's child, it is known from the manga that the bones were delivered 2-3 years after their escape, so there is plenty of time for a child to be born and kidnapped, and for them to get killed.

About the other babies, that's just common sense. They couldn't be indoctrinated because... Well, they are still babies. After ruining Squealer's plans, they were most possibly rescued.

On the other hand, the story was indeed kind of predictable but not entirely.
Dr_Manhattan95Apr 2, 2017 4:56 PM
Apr 7, 2017 7:43 AM
Sep 2011
Fantastic world building, good story and animation ruined by 2 mc that fucking weak, naive and stupid lol, they always got saved by supporting character

Apr 7, 2017 8:57 AM

Jan 2016
I feel extremely sad.From the start i agreed with Squealer way of thinking.What he did was bad but what the humans did were also bad.He shouldn't have gotten that eternal punition it was horrible.He did his best to make his population better and the humans who don't care a shit about the queerats and consider them like shit gave him this horrible punishment only based on their victims.They did not consider what the queerats lost.And at the end we even discover that they were human.Human or not
humanity can't understand shit about others and constantly judge.
Well perhaps this is why i am a misanthrope.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 26, 2017 8:57 AM

Apr 2016
For me the best moment in this episode is the conversation between Saki and Squealer in the remnants hall, i got goosebumps even for a re-watch. It was like 2 dear friends talking to each other after overcoming countless incidents. The punishment for Squealer reminds me of Prometheus who was trying to bring "fire" to "human", which is a very interesting reference.

I really like the symmetric portrayal between Kiromaru and Squealer (these 2 imo are the best characters despite being supporting). Though they have different method but after all they only do what most human do when on the brink of extinction. LoGH has a famous quote being "In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same" and i find this one fits Shinsekai Yori no less than LoGH itself. This anime could have been done better in every aspect but well nothing is perfects so 7.5/10 should fit it neatly.
May 3, 2017 2:26 PM
Dec 2016

This still haunts me
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 9, 2017 9:35 PM
Apr 2014
Poor Kiroumaru what a noble sacrifice, he's probably my favorite character in the series.
Squealer had good intentions but turned out to be evil, pretty messed up they tortured him, and kept his brain alive just for revenge.

They really tried to show the inherent evil humans are capable of in this series. No side really wins in war.
I'm glad they didn't kill Satoru off, so the ending wasn't completely morbid, And he got together with Saki.
I usually don't binge watch shows, but this one was just so infatuating I just want to watch episode after episode almost.
elryanooMay 9, 2017 10:10 PM
May 14, 2017 4:50 AM
Aug 2016
loved the ending it was kind of sad for me when kiroumaru died
also that the monster rats were originally human blowed my mind
satoru x saki nice ending
May 17, 2017 4:16 AM

Mar 2013
Oh boy what a fantastic journey that was.
Since it'd be a pain to write all the thoughts in the paragraphs, I'll state them one by one.

1. Plot/Premise
The lore/world building was brilliant. What one would think normally happen if some superpower emerge out suddenly in the public? A superhero themed show, right? But no, the author thought so otherwise and we got a dystopian world with an interesting setting/premise to follow.

2. Art and character design
Character design was okay. But if I have to say, I'd say it was fairly above average. The art, particularly at the backgrounds was simply amazing. Though the anime saw dip in the quality of art over the course many times but I don't think it hindered the enjoyment factor.

3. Theme exploration
I think this is where SSY really excels at. The fact that it takes various themes into the account of the story and explores it is absolutely fantastic. Many anime shows the promise in the start but fails to deliver it. Not only does it makes a viewer contemplate over what's right or wrong morally, but it also depicts the cruel nature of human society when it comes down to the risk in their survival.

4. Atmosphere
The ambiance of the anime is quite haunting if you ask me. And that's probably why it is listed under a horror tag. The saturated colors on the screen suited best for the all the bloodshed and mystery keeps giving off a very unsettling and eerie vibes over the course. And that sets a huge plus point for the anime.

5. Plot progression and story
I like how SSY doesn't try to spoonfeed its viewers. Instead, it compels them to come up with various ideas and details themselves upon finally reaching the conclusion. The anime also does a good job on exposition and foreshadowing of the events. The way it doesn't centers around characters but the society and setting of the SSY world is what makes it a pensive watch. And that is why you can't help but feel helpless and sorrowful over the fate of our various characters.

6. Music/Soundtrack
Last but not least, the OST was good. Well I'm more inclined to say it was on okay note but the anime exactly knew how to use the OST perfectly on the occasions to elevate the mood. Even a simple explanation with a piece of music can made it look so important and frightening.

The ending was really bittersweet. While I really felt happy for my ship and the change that is bound to happen, I couldn't stop thinking how many sacrifices were made to reach that point and so couldn't hold my tears when the ending showed the kids one last time T_T

Overall, it was a beautiful journey.
9/10
May 25, 2017 10:15 AM

Apr 2014
CzeroC said:
For me the best moment in this episode is the conversation between Saki and Squealer in the remnants hall, i got goosebumps even for a re-watch. It was like 2 dear friends talking to each other after overcoming countless incidents. The punishment for Squealer reminds me of Prometheus who was trying to bring "fire" to "human", which is a very interesting reference.

I really like the symmetric portrayal between Kiromaru and Squealer (these 2 imo are the best characters despite being supporting). Though they have different method but after all they only do what most human do when on the brink of extinction. LoGH has a famous quote being "In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same" and i find this one fits Shinsekai Yori no less than LoGH itself. This anime could have been done better in every aspect but well nothing is perfects so 7.5/10 should fit it neatly.

Interesting you brought that up, it didn't hit me, but now that you mention it, Prometheus was condemned for bringing 'fire', symbolizing skill and knowledge which were only mastered by gods who wanted to keep it for themselves and to have humans under their domination. He enlightened them and allowed them to surpass their mere human condition as animals ; thanks to knowledge they became reasonnable and skilled beings, equals of gods in term of intelligence and ability/ power to 'do'/'act' ; It was the punishement reserved for the one who tried to free humans from their inferior condition ;just as Squealer tried to free his species from enslavement bringing them to rebellion... But maybe he was not a Prometheus for his species as much as he was for humans ? The first fire human received was knowledge/reason to surpass their ignorance, and the fire Squealer brought to humans when he said that "he was human !" - though it only hit few of them, maybe none except Saki, may be humility in answer to the realization of their destructive and disgusting - yet 'natural' supremacism ? I mean isn't it how, us viewers who can be tempted to despise the extraneltus, felt too ? Supremacism was the cause of all the destruction in shinsekai yori, be it towards normal humans in the dark age, towards the ones who didn't have cantus, and towards the extranelttus... The hope being, that, in the future, humans would realize their unfair behavior and evolve in that perspective. idk
May 25, 2017 5:49 PM

Apr 2016
Lyleli said:
Interesting you brought that up, it didn't hit me, but now that you mention it, Prometheus was condemned for bringing 'fire', symbolizing skill and knowledge which were only mastered by gods who wanted to keep it for themselves and to have humans under their domination. He enlightened them and allowed them to surpass their mere human condition as animals ; thanks to knowledge they became reasonnable and skilled beings, equals of gods in term of intelligence and ability/ power to 'do'/'act' ; It was the punishement reserved for the one who tried to free humans from their inferior condition ;just as Squealer tried to free his species from enslavement bringing them to rebellion... But maybe he was not a Prometheus for his species as much as he was for humans ? The first fire human received was knowledge/reason to surpass their ignorance, and the fire Squealer brought to humans when he said that "he was human !" - though it only hit few of them, maybe none except Saki, may be humility in answer to the realization of their destructive and disgusting - yet 'natural' supremacism ? I mean isn't it how, us viewers who can be tempted to despise the extraneltus, felt too ? Supremacism was the cause of all the destruction in shinsekai yori, be it towards normal humans in the dark age, towards the ones who didn't have cantus, and towards the extranelttus... The hope being, that, in the future, humans would realize their unfair behavior and evolve in that perspective. idk

Yeah i get what you mean, it's just that i suddenly think of Prometheus when i saw how Squeal was being punished (it's exactly the same to Prometheus's, different method i suppose). But you're right about Squeal being not the Prometheus for his species. The way he did things is rather extreme, by taking any means necessary to secure his race's future. What send shiver down my spine is when he decided to steal the infants from Saki's village as backup plan if things are to fall. And how his soldiers were willing to die for him is really something. He thinks that he has the right to do what the "gods" have done to him as they're now on equal terms.

Eventually, i think there's no good guy here, it's just human doing the same things over and over again. For once in a few hundred years things like this may occur and cause a considerable damage to mankind, we will learn and try to fix things up, making promise to not let it happen again. But again, after a definite time passed, we forgot what happened before and find ourselves trapped in the scenario , and things keep on going like that like an endless cycle.
Jun 18, 2017 12:06 PM

Jun 2017
Literally made an account just to talk about this adaptation (ok, and also to have a more "official" place for my list).

TLDR; pretty good, almost great but falls short for some niggling flaws. And no, no scores from me. Me no likey score-y.

I want to rant about the whole series but i'm not sure this is the time or the place. That's what reviews and blog posts are, so i'll keep this as brief as I possibly can.

Shin did a lot of things right but also stumbled on quite a few things. While the atmosphere was excellent and the writing was enthralling (for the most part), it had a lot of "filler" episodes that dragged the whole experience down. Had it focused more on its strengths (showing a pretty grey and believable world with fascinating lore, its own mythology and folklore, interesting themes, etc.) and less on "hurr combat" it would have had more time to develop a few of its themes and characters more. Buuuuut I need to stop myself because holy shit, rant switch wants to toggle to [ON] badly.

I loved the themes and how basically the point of the anime is to make you feel disgusted/uneasy with literally everyone (WOW DID I HATE MARIA SO MUCH) and its universe but it could have been much better executed. That and I disliked it how Shun basically gave Saki the answers, and how Saki slowly turned into a stereotypical anime MC in that she had all the answers. Not saying she was a shounen protagonist nor anything like that, but it felt a little cheap at times. I understand that Saki isn't a "hero" or a "good person", she's "the one who makes the decisions that need to be done" (which is awesome) but at times it felt a little bit too on the nose. She was pretty awesome as a character but then slowly the writer began doing the whole "mcguffin to save the world" and etc.

To reiterate: she's a decently written character, but i'm just disappointed that her writing got weaker just as they realized that "OH FUCK WE HAVE LESS THAN A HANDFUL OF EPISODES LEFT".

As for the episode itself.

I suspected something was not right back at episode 4 but i'm not going to go "LOL KNEW IT ALL ALONG". It left me feeling bleh because it didn't matter (which I think was the point). Both sides are absolute scumbags, but as a human being i'm going to side with the humans and not the descendants of humans. Yeah yeah, it's pretty speciest and etc. but eh. Humans were absolute assholes but it's not like the rats were less horrible. But that's a discussion for another time.

Most of all I was angry that there wasn't an outpouring of rage and grief concerning the deaths of Maria and Mamoru (which lessened Saki and Satorou's character writing in one fell swoop) or even questions about it. Like...what the fuck? You have the perpetrator of a horrible crime against your friends and you're not even going to fucking say a word? Really? It trivialized one of the most gut wrenchingly horrifying moments of the anime. Seriously when I realized that they were *actually* dead (and that Yakomaru's unveiled threat was acted on) and then saw that crimson hair? FUCK. But then the anime just forgets about all that.

But to finally stop myself, it was a fitting conclusion (stupid moments excluded). It wasn't a happy ending but it wasn't a bad one. It was an "authentic" ending, the sort of "endings" you get in life. In real life when a "chapter" of one's life ends it's never clean nor black and white (for most of us); it's usually a mess of emotions, good and bad. So I enjoyed that, which fits perfectly with the rest of the show as one of its main points was being all about shades of grey and not "hur dur ultimate evil".
BFASJun 18, 2017 4:10 PM
Jun 26, 2017 11:13 PM

Sep 2014
A Bloody Yet Beautiful New World. Ep 25.

Plot: The plan goes. The Child(not an Ogre) dies of the Death of Shame from killing its fellow human, Kiroumarou. Before his end, he asks Saki to preserve his group Queen as she is the Hope and Future of his clan.

Flashing forward, Squearer is tried before court and before he is given his gruesome punishment, he bellows one thing "We are Humans!" And as it turns out...it was true. Power users with the restraint and DoS would have no way to stand against None Powers, so some mad science and genetics went down. It's...a controverisla thing to say the least.

But in the end, Saki and Satoru survive to the future and hopefully they can build a better place. Without Trickster Cats, Without Ogres or Karmic Demons...one where Queer rats can be more than they are.

Character: So much to go through.

Squearer. I don't like Squearer. I was spoiled on him so I knew he was going down the dark path. I just never knew how far things would go. What may have happened to Maria and Matoru, all the people he killed That is inexcusable. But...the plight was still real. The things done to the Queer rats are inexcusable as well.

Kiroumarou. Knowing what I know, I can't say for sure if he wouldn't have followed the same path as Squearer if he had obtained the knowledge as well. But his actions here did cement him as a strong character.

Saki and Satoru have been through hell and lost close to everything. I do believe all this has hardened Satoru up in his heart and even if he did feel sympathy for the Queer rats, I don't think it would change too much. He would still do what he can with Saki but I think he's drawn a definite line between humans and them.

Saki, however, still has her open heart. Granting Squearer death even in the face of the Ethics committee shows that like TOmiko, she has grown strong as well. She not only helped save the Queer rats from total extinction but did right by Kiroumarou as well.

Humanity, or the Power users, as if now have learned nothing. But with those two, hopefully the next generation will grow more open and kinder.

Animation/sound: The fight was tense and amazing to watch. The slow motion did what it set out to do and even Kiroumarou's sacrifice had so much impact.

The quiet monologues had beautiful imagery. The child being a tearjerker as it died and then getting buried back in Kamisu. The role call of the old friends was sweet too, but one major problem remained: WHY DIDN'T THEY INCLUDE REIKO!?

Or was that her instead of Yofumi?

5/5. And for the Series. 9.85/10. I did get bored in places and there were still unanswered questions but as a whole this was a well made series and definitely should be recommended to more people.

I go where I wanna go, even if its into Oppai.
Jul 1, 2017 6:23 PM

Nov 2016
It was obvious Kiroumaru would sacrifice himself when Shun mentioned that the "demon" isn't one.

And Wow this final blew my mind, the revelation was crazy. After knowing the truth I just couldn't help it, but feel really sorry for Squealer and his species, despite the fact that I kinda disliked him before, this episode changed my view. I knew beforehand that the humans with Cantus weren't the nicest people, even though they also had their reasons, but the whole part with chasing the ones without Cantus and turning them into monster rats was the cherry on the pie.

Seeing Squealer suffering after he lost fighting for his kind was heart breaking and I have to admit I even shed tears when Saki released him from his pain. This was just a tragic story..

Overall I extremely enjoyed this anime, can't remember the last time I've seen something so thrilling like this, which gave off a great mystery vibe on top, it's also well written and with such a philosophical and meaningful story.

I think this show is one of a kind and giving anything less than a 10 wouldn't be appropriate. And I really regret that I didn't watch this masterpiece earlier, even though it was on my PTW like forever.

I think I will also read the novels in the future.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jul 6, 2017 3:46 PM

Aug 2013
Well, it was one of the worst anime I ever watched. Just can't decide, is it deserve 1/10 or 2/10? Characters are dull and lost any logic just from the start, tons of yaoi and yuri with shitty excuses, one of the most useless and miserable MC, story itself is bullshit - I know many of average anime in which even filler episodes are better than the whole local "plot", common sense is an enemy to author. I don't know why some people keep saying that this ugly and ludicrous by its nature anime is best choice for people which didn't like Ergo Proxy, because here I am, Ergo Proxy was without MC at all, boring and incoherent, but still I had feeling though I watched low-quality ANIME with some style but without any sense, but Shinsekai Yori in comparison looks more like cartoonish parody on anime itself, it can only to insult my mind by its naive and stupid characters motives and plot manipulations. I am happy that at least this anime was unprofitable.
Jul 7, 2017 11:23 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Well, a great series to say the least in terms of its unique story and noteworthy, crucial message. I'm truly saddened to see so many people drop this anime just because of its shonen ai and shoujo ai genres, even though I was greatly disturbed by it, because even this played a pivotal and important role. Besides, it was mentioned earlier in Episode 4 or so that this was to come and it came in full colors in Episode 8 but that was really about it other than a couple of so more smooches. I won't lie though, the romance of the anime was beyond terrible. Even it's animation was below par. However, the story, music and message of the anime clearly overwhelm it! I'm not saying this is one of the best but it is a definite masterpiece which is truly fabulous and not like any other anime series out there. Therefore, it's a wonderful piece of unique experience for all kinds of people I reckon, particularly me though since I'm a cynical person in nature.
Hearing how Squeeler screamed "We are not beasts or slaves. We are Humans!" really hit me hard...
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Jul 11, 2017 12:33 AM
Sep 2015
eclipso said:
Ok so they were already known to be intelligent but the fact that they're altered humans makes it more horrific. The other members of society, however, are the ones conditioned and propagate the idea that they're beasts, little more than lesser beings what can occasionally follow orders. Even unconditioned, people nowadays feel like other people who have very little distinction apart from themselves, are vastly different lifeforms. They dehumanize each other on the basis of skin color, religion, gender, orientation, political affiliation and even choice of wardrobe. How much easier is it to dehumanize a creature that speaks in guttural languages and appears much different from your own without any powers whatsoever? Especially since there has never been a case of these creatures developing pk - probably done to them on purpose - since these are humans, the chance of them or their offspring developing pk should have already happened unless their development was interfered with.

Can you not be so speciesist? Who cares about dehumanizing? Depersonizing is the problem.

CzeroC said:
The way he did things is rather extreme, by taking any means necessary to secure his race's future. What send shiver down my spine is when he decided to steal the infants from Saki's village as backup plan if things are to fall. And how his soldiers were willing to die for him is really something. He thinks that he has the right to do what the "gods" have done to him as they're now on equal terms.

Have you ever stopped to consider that maybe, just maybe, the rats are completely in the right because what they did is nothing compared to what the humans do and will continue to do should they fail? Maybe the death of billions is far far worse than the death of whatever measly population of psychic humans there are? Maybe the soldiers would die for the cause because they want to stop being the playthings of cruel assholes and they know that should they fail, their human overlords would kill them and many more? That whatever horrible means squealer may use, the end justifies it because as it stood, the total amount of suffering the humans inflict upon the rats is unimaginably great and it must end?

I swear if the psychic humans wore rat costumes and the rats wore human costumes, opinions would be very different.
ac_bdJul 11, 2017 12:58 AM
Jul 11, 2017 5:37 AM

Jan 2016
Great anime. And very mixed feelings on how the war ended. Not sure it was an happy ending, at all. That Squealer had surely been ruthless but he was figting a right cause after all. PK users were definitely treating queerats as beasts even though they were sentient and intelligent beings.. and what scientists made to non PK user (eugenics and slavery.. eww) was far more horrible and inhuman than everything the "so-called" beasts did.
Jul 18, 2017 2:35 AM

May 2015
Is there are an ova from 1000 years after the end? Because humanity is still fucked up in the last episode (the court scene).

Kiroumarou my friend.
He was loyal till the end.
He was someone you can depend.
I would party with him all the weekénd.
I rate him ten/tend.

The show 8/10. It was a nice and heavy story with mediocre animation. I wish Shaft would have done this.
Jul 20, 2017 2:46 AM
Jul 2017
While the plot was interesting, I found the pacing to be too slow for me and the twists in the story to be kind of meh. Idk if i missed it but did they ever confirm that the queerats did indeed have possession of a fake minoshiro? If so, why weren't their weapons more advanced than just early musket type guns. If the queerats figured out how to make and build concrete buildings what limits them from learning even more advanced industrial methods and more advanced technology? They figured out how to perform lobotomy-like procedures on the queens, but no other medical procedures or medicine of any sort.
The juggling use of magic and science whenever it was convenient for the story was off putting.. Also I didn't care much for the "fiend" being mamoru and maria's kid. It would of been a bigger twist if the "fiend" was maria or mamoru or better yet an army of kids from maria being the new queerat "queen." All in all, I feel like a lot more could've have been explored in this world and the author tried to make the dystopian society plausible but failed.
Jul 30, 2017 8:56 AM

Aug 2012
poundingtherock said:
While the plot was interesting, I found the pacing to be too slow for me and the twists in the story to be kind of meh. Idk if i missed it but did they ever confirm that the queerats did indeed have possession of a fake minoshiro? If so, why weren't their weapons more advanced than just early musket type guns. If the queerats figured out how to make and build concrete buildings what limits them from learning even more advanced industrial methods and more advanced technology? They figured out how to perform lobotomy-like procedures on the queens, but no other medical procedures or medicine of any sort.

The juggling use of magic and science whenever it was convenient for the story was off putting.. Also I didn't care much for the "fiend" being mamoru and maria's kid. It would of been a bigger twist if the "fiend" was maria or mamoru or better yet an army of kids from maria being the new queerat "queen." All in all, I feel like a lot more could've have been explored in this world and the author tried to make the dystopian society plausible but failed.

Yeah I agree.

It was a good show overall though. 8.5/10

Saorin said:
Personally, I didn't find this as outstanding as others.

So, most of all, I found the story felt disjointed and jumbled up at times. I do understand the underlying themes, and I do appreciate that the show was thought provoking regarding morals, ethics, the society system, etc. I also got that there was a red thread - it seemed kinda thin to me at times though.

Many times, I felt the show missed opportunities where it had built up momentum and then continued in an anticlimatic way. At some points, they just had to infodump their way around. It didn't help either that the animation was super inconsistent, going from solid to beautiful and then all the way down to cringeworthy. There were episodes that felt like nobody cared about the animation and they just wanted to be done with it.

I also think some aspects could have used some more detailing; Mamoru's and Maria's fate/how did Squealer actually get his hands on the child; the death feedback wasn't properly explored in my opinion, considering it played such a huge role in the end. Speaking of which, the "we are humans" revelation didn't seem all that shocking to me. On the one hand, because one could see it. On the other hand, because I don't think it made that much difference. The queerats were obviously thinking, feeling, building a society on rules and all in all intelligent, (at least roughly) on par with humans - they simply didn't have cantus. Killing them without second thought to the extent the cantus users did was cruel at all times! So, I guess I did expect some more twists.

The show did quite a nice job of portraying greys instead of black and whites. But I really had to fight my way through the first 7 eps. It got pretty good afterwards, but I still felt that the parts somehow didn't connect that well with each other in terms of story telling and pacing. The part with getting the Psychobuster...it also felt out of context somehow. Maybe not exactly plotwise, but at least atmosphere-wise.

I'll give this an 8.5/10, maybe rather leaning towards an 8 though.

Also this. Sums up most of my opinion as well.
HyunckelJul 30, 2017 9:02 AM

Aug 16, 2017 8:03 PM
Jun 2016
Wow more than 1000 discussion replies... this série was just... wow... but even if it had plot wholes and it was difficult for me to adapt to this kind of theme, 9.5/10
Aug 17, 2017 11:15 PM
Oct 2011
Holly!!!

No one is a hero here. It is all racism!!
This anime is sooo deep!!!
MENO11Aug 18, 2017 8:13 PM
Sep 8, 2017 1:43 AM

Aug 2014
It could be an awesome drama if they pushed it abit without dragging too much..

I dont have any comment about the animation the first few episodes 1-4 is quite amazing, it fells on 5 and return to normal again on 6.

I expect the kid was Maria, but it seems they make it the Fiend their Kids instead.
Theres some stuff i would question too, what exactly happen to w Maria and Mamoru when their bone discovered with the exact same DNA.
Shouldnt they live to make the baby first? or right after the "Search and Retrieve" they had sex . Later they were killed by the Squeerats and taken their baby.

Well i would say the best twist are Squeerats are Human, I thought kidnapped/missing children turned into one but i guess they just disposed/killed.
They basically inject the mammals dna and turning them(human) to weird or mutated monster.. Scientist did it right..? The people who doesnt had the Power.. they're turned into one.
Such fate, but its necessary to maintain peace... or is it?
In exchange of turning them into one, the one who had the power also given a "Death feedback" so none of them kill each other.

The terms of Fiend basically a human who doesnt think himself as one and his enemy, basically negating the death feedback effect, but it will also applied if the person think he/she killed one of his/her kin.
The real Fiend wouldnt think had that issue ( i think), thus making the fiend heselfr/himself could kill anyone without Death Feedback issue.

In the end no one is right and no one is wrong.

Finished it in 2 Days

I actually like Saki and Maria relationship, that also includes Saki and Shun relationship.
Sadly both killed too soon.. At least Maria get alots of development.
I was expecting Maria to be a fiend isntead of her kid, it would make alot of drama and question her friendship and choice.
Seems the story only applied to Japan country, theres alot of animation that also shows the school from different country but i guess thats not necessary.
The anime get darkers every episode isnt it..?

Also the Shin what person that could split the earth in to two is laughable..
Sep 12, 2017 5:06 AM
Jul 2014
Dont you think there are some kimd of logical problem when akki killed whole army of kiroumaru nothing happend to her
Sep 17, 2017 3:56 PM

Oct 2015
Good final episode for a very good series overall. The twist about the origin of the Queerats was quite shocking and turned the perspective of the last arc on its head effectively, but it is something that could have been guessed/inferred quite easily even early on the series. It also exposes that the main theme of the show is not coming of age, or adult fear of children, or even forbidden knowledge, but discrimination and class conflict. This is okay, but it feels really dissonant from the first two arcs which were mostly about the children's experiences in their utopian but utterly fear-driven society. I also wish there was a bit more thematic closure regarding Shun, Maria and Mamoru, it doesn't really feel as though their deaths had a whole lot of impact on Saki and Satoru in the end because the focus is so heavily shifted towards the Queerats.

I also feel like Saki and Satoru should be extremely pissed off at Squealer even having heard about his (legitimate) motivations for attacking humans, simply because Squealer is responsible for the manipulation and deaths of their friends.
Sep 18, 2017 9:48 AM

Sep 2014
No_Regret said:
Dont you think there are some kimd of logical problem when akki killed whole army of kiroumaru nothing happend to her

I'm seriously thinking that there is a translating error in the subs or dubs that people have watched because I've seen this argument so much. Akki never killed Kiroumaru's army, she only stopped the weapons of kiroumaru's army so that they couldn't hurt Yakomaru's army and thus giving a significant handicap to Kiroumaru's army leading to its defeat. Akki only protect Yakomaru's army and did no direct harm to Kiroumaru's army.
Oct 20, 2017 10:14 AM
Nov 2015
The only thing I don't have problem with in this anime is the queerats (apart from their sometimes terrible designs).
They're not annoying. They're bad (that's subjective if seen from the human's standpoint of course), but they're hardly ever annoying. Very intelligent. Some heroic. Some wily. Hardly ever whine.

2 problems with the human society. They kill children. But worse, they treat the rats like second class citizens and I'm not compelled with siding with the humans, especially towards the end of this anime (since many of its most powerful, examplar representatives and the main characters are damn annoying and inapt).
Oct 20, 2017 10:39 AM
Nov 2015
Well, this is one of the best episodes. Haha Saki actually did something good and useful. And all the stuff about genomes actually made this last twist succeed and tie up very well.

Rat on the human race pretty strongly in the previous comment. Well, it is naive of me to expect this anime to solve all the class problems cleanly, to expect the queerats to have the same standing as the humans.
In the end, it is nice to have it open-ended, to suggest a gradual change for the rats' status, at least starting with Saki, and hopefully if she publicize all that she knows, the humans will become more tolerant.
Oct 23, 2017 11:44 PM
Jan 2016
While watching Squealer say he's human. Made me wonder if that's how it felt for Neanderthals / Denosivans when Modern Homo-Sapiens wiped them out.
Oct 27, 2017 8:16 PM

Jul 2009
Great last episode! The fight was over more quickly than I had imagined, but it sort of made sense about the death feedback only triggering on queerats. I appreciate how they ended the story, and not just the plot as well, by letting us see what happened to Squealer as well. So they were "made" from combining human DNA with mole rat DNA? Somehow ... that sounds like some super sketchy science >_< Either way, in the epilogue Saki gets married to Satoru and have a child, so "hope" and a happy ending (relatively) are what's going on here. All in all, this was a solid conclusion to the series :)

Overall, I would say that this was a very interesting story and world held down by its lackluster art, animation, and characters. Music was typically top notch as well. I appreciate what it was trying to do, but I do feel that it could have been a lot better if Saki wasn't the way she was, and I've gotta say the art could go from 1-10 (or the other way around) real fast lol. Either way, as the pacing picked up throughout the story it got more enjoyable to watch, so that was fairly good. I have a hard time deciding between a 7 and 8 for this, but I'd say that a satisfying conclusion is worth its weight, as well as the well-done atmospheric bits. 8/10
Pages (27) « First ... « 22 23 [24] 25 26 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Ugly KV

ScuzzyBear - Jun 8, 2023

9 by charlieman999 »»
Mar 28, 6:10 AM

Poll: » Shinsekai yori Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Nov 16, 2012

702 by Ryls »»
Mar 19, 12:05 PM

Poll: » Shinsekai yori Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jan 4, 2013

169 by Xeehad »»
Mar 1, 11:37 AM

Poll: » Shinsekai yori Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 26, 2012

516 by Xeehad »»
Feb 26, 10:04 AM

Poll: » Shinsekai yori Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 19, 2012

363 by Xeehad »»
Feb 26, 9:30 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.