Forum Settings
Forums

What is the most generic anime you've seen?

New
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »
Sep 1, 2017 11:00 PM

Jan 2016
flannan said:
Black_Flower_1 said:
Iam pretty sure an anime with overpowered mc, plot holes, bad romance,and a forced harem is shit

You want to pick a fight?
SAO's MC is no more overpowered than the MCs in your favorites like Death Note and Naruto.
There are no plot holes, only viewers too dumb to think.
The romance is one of the best anime romances meant for men. Of course, I don't expect a kid like you to understand.
And the phrase "forced harem" holds no meaning.

But most importantly, "generic" does not mean "bad". Even if you somehow prove SAO is bad, it will not make it generic. It still stands tall against all competition, with no works quite like it.
1:Naruto isn't overpowered he couldn't even defeat kuguya or madara lmao. 2:They're are plot holes like how did kirito survive getting stabbed by kiba and alot more 3:The romance was a mess why did asuna fall enlove with him in the first place she really had no reason to 4:Force harem has a meaning but I wouldn't except a kid like you to understand what forced harem is
The word elitist is stupid since it's just used by people who can't defend their favorite shows and use it on people who criticize their favorite shows.
Sep 1, 2017 11:11 PM

Feb 2015
Certainly, without the word "generic" this thread will be forgotten the moment it was created. OP knows how to deal with MALers huh...

Sep 1, 2017 11:14 PM

Nov 2009
Black_Flower_1 said:
flannan said:

You want to pick a fight?
SAO's MC is no more overpowered than the MCs in your favorites like Death Note and Naruto.
There are no plot holes, only viewers too dumb to think.
The romance is one of the best anime romances meant for men. Of course, I don't expect a kid like you to understand.
And the phrase "forced harem" holds no meaning.

But most importantly, "generic" does not mean "bad". Even if you somehow prove SAO is bad, it will not make it generic. It still stands tall against all competition, with no works quite like it.
1:Naruto isn't overpowered he couldn't even defeat kuguya or madara lmao.
2:They're are plot holes like how did kirito survive getting stabbed by kiba and alot more
3:The romance was a mess why did asuna fall enlove with him in the first place she really had no reason to
4:Force harem has a meaning but I wouldn't except a kid like you to understand what forced harem is

1. Neither could Kirito defeat Kayaba, Zekken or Death Gun on his own.
2. You're saying it like Naruto did not survive a lot more. They have superpowers.
3. Why not? they've known each other for a long time, and Kirito has shown himself to be a quite worthwhile person. He also looks reasonably good. What else can a girl ask for?
[sarcasm]Oh yes, I am sure Misa and Hinata had plenty of reasons to fall in love with the MC. [/sarcasm] Misa haven't even seen Light when she started.
4. I am 15 years older, you do not get to call me "kid". All harems are improbable, so the word "forced" is unnecessary.
Sep 1, 2017 11:24 PM

Jan 2016
flannan said:
Black_Flower_1 said:
1:Naruto isn't overpowered he couldn't even defeat kuguya or madara lmao.
2:They're are plot holes like how did kirito survive getting stabbed by kiba and alot more
3:The romance was a mess why did asuna fall enlove with him in the first place she really had no reason to
4:Force harem has a meaning but I wouldn't except a kid like you to understand what forced harem is

2. You're saying it like Naruto did not survive a lot more. They have superpowers.
3. Why not? they've known each other for a long time, and Kirito has shown himself to be a quite worthwhile person. He also looks reasonably good. What else can a girl ask for?
[sarcasm]Oh yes, I am sure Misa and Hinata had plenty of reasons to fall in love with the MC. [/sarcasm] Misa haven't even seen Light when she started.
4. I am 15 years older, you do not get to call me "kid". All harems are improbable, so the word "forced" is unnecessary.
1: He defeated kayaba on his own the other didn't help him with defeating kayba
2: Naruto survived alot more , but in a way that makes sense
3: Iam pretty sure kirito didn't show himself to be worthwhile and knowing someone for a long time doesn't = falling enlove. Yes Naruto saved her from the bullies so ye it makes sense. Misa fell enlove with light because light killed the guy who killed her parents.
4: sao harem was forced. Why did they make kirito's cousin fall enlove with him that's acceptable in japan, but she didn't have any reason to fall enlove with him in the first place. Iam 16 and you called me a kid lol
GreenClockSep 1, 2017 11:32 PM
The word elitist is stupid since it's just used by people who can't defend their favorite shows and use it on people who criticize their favorite shows.
Sep 1, 2017 11:52 PM

Nov 2009
Black_Flower_1 said:
flannan said:

3: Iam pretty sure kirito didn't show himself to be worthwhile and knowing someone for a long time doesn't = falling enlove. Yes Naruto saved her from the bullies so ye it makes sense. Misa fell enlove with light because light killed the guy who killed her parents.
4: sao harem was forced. Why did they make kirito's cousin fall enlove with him that's acceptable in japan, but she didn't have any reason to fall enlove with him in the first place. Iam 16 and you called me a kid lol

1. Asuna helped him with Kayaba.
2. Kirito's survival makes enough sense. His real body is safely lying in the hospital all the time, and his cybertelepathic powers prevent computer from killing him.
3. Still, I find their kind of romance a lot more believable and healthy than just falling in love with somebody who rescued you.
4. Because she is a girl in a harem series. Also, relatives of about your age are really attractive, because people tend to fall in love with people similar to themselves. We just normally ignore them, because they're relatives.
Sep 1, 2017 11:59 PM

Aug 2014
_Ako_ said:
Certainly, without the word "generic" this thread will be forgotten the moment it was created. OP knows how to deal with MALers huh...

well yeah there are reason it was subjective to begin with.
Sep 2, 2017 12:00 AM

Jan 2016
flannan said:
Black_Flower_1 said:

1. Asuna helped him with Kayaba.
2. Kirito's survival makes enough sense. His real body is safely lying in the hospital all the time, and his cybertelepathic powers prevent computer from killing him.
3. Still, I find their kind of romance a lot more believable and healthy than just falling in love with somebody who rescued you.
4. Because she is a girl in a harem series. Also, relatives of about your age are really attractive, because people tend to fall in love with people similar to themselves. We just normally ignore them, because they're relatives.
1:Asuna only ended up getting stabbed idk how you count that as helping
2: no it doesn't many people were in the hospital yet died
3: its not more believable smh
4: sao doesn't include harem genre and falling enlove with him because of that reason is stupid just shows she only likes him for his looks
Sep 2, 2017 2:51 AM

Feb 2016
- Hundred
- Isekai wa Smartphone to Tomo ni.
- Amnesia
- Absolute Duo

I will not believe that everything is controlled by fate.

ll X ll
Sep 2, 2017 2:57 AM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
LMAO at Hundred now having been mentioned 7 times

and lol.. the one show this season that im watching but not feeling "Smartphone" is 2nd in place.. although i really wouldn't put it as "most generic" but if we were talking this season, or even this year, then yea definitely

and why are people mentioning SAO? SAO started a craze, like like IS did.. how can those the most generic? are people just finding an excuse to mention SAO?
EcchiGodMamsterSep 2, 2017 3:01 AM
Sep 2, 2017 4:15 AM

Jun 2016
I think every ROMANCE ANIME is unoriginal. Haha. Too many to mention.

"Maybe he's trying to take a shit, but the shit just won't come out."
Captain Levi, 2014
(/^-^)/☆♪♪☆\(^0^\)
Sep 2, 2017 5:45 AM

Apr 2016
Zelev said:
Almost everything I gave a score of 3, basically.

So for example, there's Fairy Tail, Accel World, Soul Eater NOT, Plastic Memories, Orange, Akashic Records, Masamune-kun no Revenge, Grimoire of Zero, Tyrant Lover, etc...

I've probably offended a lot of people already.

Soul Eater NOT wasn't the best thing ever, but it wasn't generic. Being in the same world as Soul Eater and sharing all of it's unique and interesting concepts made it a lot more original than most moe slice of life shows.
Sep 2, 2017 5:50 AM
Jul 2018
SAO was kinda original at the time it came out, it gets way too much hate.

There are other harem shows that are way worse then it and that spawned right after.
Sep 2, 2017 6:14 AM

Jan 2014
CrashD said:
Zelev said:
Almost everything I gave a score of 3, basically.

So for example, there's Fairy Tail, Accel World, Soul Eater NOT, Plastic Memories, Orange, Akashic Records, Masamune-kun no Revenge, Grimoire of Zero, Tyrant Lover, etc...

I've probably offended a lot of people already.

Soul Eater NOT wasn't the best thing ever, but it wasn't generic. Being in the same world as Soul Eater and sharing all of it's unique and interesting concepts made it a lot more original than most moe slice of life shows.

The characters were pretty "meh.."

Three things cannot be long hidden..
...the s u n, the m oo n, and the tr u th.

Sep 2, 2017 7:19 AM
Jan 2017
Since I have mostly forgotten some of the anime other people in here called generic (like Trinity Seven), probably because they were so bland I just couldn't remember them. So I'll just bring up the most weirdly generic show, Tsugumomo. It rips off shows like the Monogatari Series, Mushishi, Noragami, essentially all shows with the occult/supernatural spirits-creatures-whatever setting. It is by far the least innovative occult themed show I've watched, and that setting pretty much by itself guarantees originality.

If it comes to the least original it want to say Eromanga-sensei, but it's not really that unoriginal, it has some "so bad it's good" moments, like nude loli playing a piano (wtf?), middle school girl saying girls her age like dick (wtf?), all sorts of degenerate shit that most generic anime would avoid (although the rom-com part is still pretty generic, it has the beach episode and all that boring stuff we've seen a million times before).
Sep 2, 2017 8:21 AM
Nov 2015
Steins Gate and Hamatora the Animation
Stein's Gate is the worst anime of all time.
Sep 2, 2017 8:27 AM
Jul 2018
flannan said:
Black_Flower_1 said:
It copied hack//sign's premise , so no its not original.

Copied hack//sign's premise? don't make me laugh.
1) In hack//sign, there is only one kid who is stuck in a game, which is caused by magic, and the kid is in no immediate danger, only panicking.
In SAO a whole lot of people (about 10 000) are trapped in the game, they have no connections with outside world, and they are in danger of dying from in-game causes. This is caused by mad scientist terrorist.
2) SAO is everything hack//sign is not - action, romance, mystery... Most importantly, it's fun, unlike the boring crap that is hack//sign.

Maurice_5 said:
I've got two contenders. The one I've actually finished was Ichiban Ushiro no Daimaou, which... I can't even say was bad, just forgettable. Seriously, I can't remember anything that stood out about that show.

The best part of Ichiban Ushiro no Daimaou was not adapted to anime. It's a speech about how fiction is a great thing, near the end.
Well, Ichiban Ushiro no Daimaou anime is forever going to stand as an example of rushed adaptation, because the anime crew suddenly learned they don't have enough episodes.

ThatCynicalOtaku said:
Isekai Smartphone.
Smartphone represents the most boring, bare-bones, elements of an isekai harem, stripping it from any possible charm or uniqueness of it, resulting in an anime so generic, it's like a satire, of generic isekai harem anime. The only logical reason anybody would like this anime, is if they've never seen another isekai harem anime.
I have never seen an anime, where the lack of any care put into it, was so obvious.

Lies. One thing that makes Isekai Smartphone what it is is the protagonist. Compared to bad people like Kazuma, Isekai Smartphone's MC is a breath of fresh air.

There are countless Isekai anime with "nice" main characters. Kazuma is probably the only isekai protagonist who is truly an asshole.
Besides, the MC here isn't, "nice"; he just does what society expects him to.
Shaking someone's hand is something anybody would do.
Trying to help someone dying is something anybody would do.
Sep 2, 2017 8:52 AM

Oct 2014
Girlfriend Kari is the most unoriginal I've seen. It does nothing special. If Glasslip is a romcom without romance or comedy Girlfriend is a harem without a male lead.
Sep 2, 2017 10:37 AM

Mar 2017
akame ga kill's anime is a fucking disgrace to the manga
it took a great manga and shortened it drastically which basically erased the plot from existance
easily the most generic i've seen
Sep 2, 2017 10:50 AM

Oct 2015
Keiski said:
it took a great manga and shortened it drastically which basically erased the plot from existance

LOLLLLLO

most 2016 anime are generic but ngl, imo AOT is generic to me
And Darker than Black and Steins Gate
Go back to being a naked monkey, sweetie!

Sep 2, 2017 10:50 AM

Oct 2015
TheDoggoneGirl said:
I think every ROMANCE ANIME is unoriginal. Haha. Too many to mention.

sweetie have you watched Utena or Orange Road????
Go back to being a naked monkey, sweetie!

Sep 2, 2017 11:22 AM

Jul 2013
Trinity Seven... Just finished it. Was dreadful, to be honest.
Sep 2, 2017 12:21 PM

Nov 2012
karton_realista said:
Since I have mostly forgotten some of the anime other people in here called generic (like Trinity Seven), probably because they were so bland I just couldn't remember them. So I'll just bring up the most weirdly generic show, Tsugumomo. It rips off shows like the Monogatari Series, Mushishi, Noragami, essentially all shows with the occult/supernatural spirits-creatures-whatever setting. It is by far the least innovative occult themed show I've watched, and that setting pretty much by itself guarantees originality.

If it comes to the least original it want to say Eromanga-sensei, but it's not really that unoriginal, it has some "so bad it's good" moments, like nude loli playing a piano (wtf?), middle school girl saying girls her age like dick (wtf?), all sorts of degenerate shit that most generic anime would avoid (although the rom-com part is still pretty generic, it has the beach episode and all that boring stuff we've seen a million times before).

I haven't seen Tsugumomo but isn't the source a manga that started in 2007? Bake started in 2009 and Noragami in 2013.
Sep 2, 2017 12:25 PM

Feb 2016
For me, it was Dual Parallel, it was a silly and bad rip off of NGE :p
Sep 2, 2017 1:29 PM

Nov 2009
zombie_pegasus said:
Girlfriend Kari is the most unoriginal I've seen. It does nothing special. If Glasslip is a romcom without romance or comedy Girlfriend is a harem without a male lead.

You make it sound like Girlfriend (Kari) is perfect.
Anyway, it's a slice-of-life anime that has too many characters. Why would you use "harem" to describe it is unclear.

Keiski said:

Do you even know what "generic" means? It's not a all-purpose criticism like "bad" or "sucks", this word has a specific meaning.
Sep 2, 2017 1:43 PM

May 2014
Fairy Tail generic shounen garbage.
Sep 2, 2017 2:26 PM
Jan 2017
SuperRed said:

I haven't seen Tsugumomo but isn't the source a manga that started in 2007? Bake started in 2009 and Noragami in 2013.

First Monogatari novels came out before Tsugumomo (starting in 2005), although you're right about Noragami. So it's not really a ripoff, but rather a worse utilization of the same concept (people transforming into weapons).
BTW, I'm not really saying it's bad, it's just surprisingly unimpressive.
Sep 2, 2017 3:07 PM

Aug 2009
I've dropped so many anime, and i'm sure some of them seemed generic...

Otherwise I kind of hate those 'perfect' protagonist anime. For example the Chivalry of a failed Knight.
Sep 2, 2017 4:41 PM

Apr 2011
Death Note:

-Generic super smart main character
-Generic girl who falls for the generic main character for no generic reason
-Generic random supernatural being giving the generic main character a generic power
-Generic super smart antagonist
-Generic police
-Generic mind games

literally the definition of generic
Sep 2, 2017 4:55 PM

Nov 2012
Valaskjalf said:
Death Note:

-Generic random supernatural being giving the generic main character a generic power
-Generic police
-Generic mind games

-Most anime MCs aren't evil and smart like Light is.
-She had a stated reason for why she loves Light, did you even watch it?
-Killing everyone by writing their name in a notebook with specific rules isn't a "generic power".
-Most antagonists are evil while L is a good guy.
-Not important, every anime has a few generic background characters.
-Mind game anime are very rare, especially before DN.

You tried, 1/10.
Sep 2, 2017 5:09 PM

Jul 2015
EcchiKingMamster said:
LMAO at Hundred now having been mentioned 7 times

and lol.. the one show this season that im watching but not feeling "Smartphone" is 2nd in place.. although i really wouldn't put it as "most generic" but if we were talking this season, or even this year, then yea definitely

and why are people mentioning SAO? SAO started a craze, like like IS did.. how can those the most generic? are people just finding an excuse to mention SAO?

Smartphone is the most generic using the Isekai setting, but I think Death March will take the crown from Smartphone when it airs. I just facepalmed when I read the manga.

I will avoid SAO topic. It's toxic. Sorry.

Sep 2, 2017 5:28 PM
Nov 2015

Yes, the definition meaning is not used but people are equating generic and garbage.

1. Trend-setting,old, or just in general good anime doesn't mean it isn't generic.

For example:
Generic Long Series Shoenen MC: Super weak, baby, loser dude who nobody likes has a super power or has some shit that makes him totally unique from every other character/person in their universe they have a few good friends and one rival and keep those friends/rivals as the series progresses

So even though if you like Naruto or not his character is generic in the sense that his character is very similar at the core to other shoenen mcs like the guy from my hero academia etc.

Stop equating generic with the word garbage, yes most generic shit is garbage but just because you like an anime or it set a trend doesnt mean its not generic

2. In a sense NO ANIME AT ALL is generic, when people are calling an anime generic they are calling one of the following generic:
Main Character(s)
Antagonist(s)
Characters as a Whole
Plot
Theme

*cough* SAO *cough*
7EJh77bSep 2, 2017 5:32 PM
Stein's Gate is the worst anime of all time.
Sep 2, 2017 6:25 PM

Aug 2017
Choujuu Kishin Dancougar

"The most average average show I've seen to date." which isn't saying a whole lot but still. Its not even that it was bad, it just wasn't worth devoting my limited time to.

I'm sure there's eons worse out there waiting in shallow waters, old or new. /shrug
Sep 2, 2017 7:08 PM
Jul 2018
Generic:"Having no particularly distinctive quality or application."~Merriam Webster

Interesting question... I would have to pick something that doesn't stand out to me as something bad nor good. That'll be kind of hard since I probably forgot about it. Hold on let me check my list real quick. Annnnnd our winner is

Reasons:

removed-userSep 6, 2017 6:19 PM
Sep 2, 2017 8:20 PM
Feb 2017
Oml it would definitely be one of those "Guy goes to school and turns out to have a secret power or be super powerful" anime. Then the guy proceeds to have every single girl fall for him.
Sep 2, 2017 9:18 PM

Aug 2017
I would say the Asterisk war and SAO were both animes that I regret wasting my time on
Sep 2, 2017 10:11 PM

Jan 2013
Let's be honest. What isn't generic? These days all I ask for is an anime that has the usual tropes but still manages to be entertaining. Give me that and I'm happy as can be.

But as far as what the op is asking for I suppose my first answer would be Fuuka. I'm quite picky on what Anime I watch but for some reason Fuuka's trailer caught my interest. So I gave it a shot and 3/4 into the 1st episode I just had to turn it off. If you wanna talk about an Anime that takes priority on putting the usual tropes on full display with little to no effort in making it even remotely interesting or different then Fuuka is the poster child for that. I've never dropped an Anime so fast in my life.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 2, 2017 10:26 PM

Jan 2014
Any Shoujo anime except ore monogatari
Fairy Tail
Devil is a Part Timer
Sep 2, 2017 10:29 PM

Sep 2009
Kind of a difficult one, considering that the most generic anime are the most forgettable ones... I'd probably have to go with Blue Exorcist or OniAi
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Sep 3, 2017 1:42 AM

Nov 2016
One Punch Man, there I said it lynch me.
Sep 3, 2017 2:04 AM

Mar 2015
Gorre said:
One Punch Man, there I said it lynch me.
Can you explain why it's generic? what series it was similiar to?
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Sep 3, 2017 2:10 AM

Aug 2011
Too much anime. I can't say only one of them..
Nowadays, I tend to be only generic anime, what a shame
Sep 3, 2017 2:31 AM
May 2017
kawaii96desu said:
Boku dake ga inai machi - generic characters, generic and predictable plot, generic ending, generic voice acting... (one piece voice actors still did a great job tho)
Hentai's plot and characters must be better though amirite.

Valaskjalf said:
Death Note:

-Generic police
-Generic mind games

how so lmao, where have you seen something like dn before, uh these days every anime is "generic", bet the majority relates the word to not liking it/garbage or cause edgy much.

Mod Edit: Merged duplicated posts; please use the edit button.
ShockedSep 3, 2017 2:33 PM
Sep 3, 2017 2:52 AM
Sep 2017
my hero academia
Attack on titan
One punch man
Mob psycho 100

FEMINISM IS CANCER!!!!!
Sep 3, 2017 3:22 AM

Apr 2015
B O K U N O H E R O A C A D E M I A

Yes, thats it, and pretty self explanatory
Sep 3, 2017 3:30 AM

Mar 2015
AnimeotakuWeeb said:

One punch man
Mob psycho 100

can you guve more explanation how they are generic... in what way they similiar into? what series they follow the genericness?
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Sep 3, 2017 4:10 AM

Nov 2009
You don't know generic until you attempt to watch Unlimited Fafnir, painful stuff.
Sep 3, 2017 4:18 AM

Aug 2015
Recently:
My Hero Academia for action/shounen
Quanzhi Gaoshou for game
Zutto Mae kara Suki deshita.: Kokuhaku Jikkou Iinkai for romance
Isekai Smartphone for isekai xD
Sep 3, 2017 4:24 AM

Apr 2012
Probably Rave, which is a shame because the manga looked alright.
EratiKSep 3, 2017 5:22 AM
Sep 3, 2017 4:39 AM

Mar 2015
TuyNOM said:
Quanzhi Gaoshou for game

how? haven't watch anime yet, but pretty sure anme that focusing mmorpg as actual E-SPort IRL is still pretty rare... the closes thing i can remember is legendary moonligh sculptor, but it also has complitely different settings...
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »

More topics from this board

» MAL Frieren fans, let's settle for the best couple

epsilono - 50 minutes ago

5 by Adnash »»
1 minute ago

Poll: » Would you be in favor of tipping Crunchyroll for every anime you complete on their platform?

Dije - 20 minutes ago

4 by Horizon248 »»
2 minutes ago

» I made a fake anime seasonal chart using AI. Which of these sounds interesting to you? ( 1 2 )

FFandMMfan - Apr 13

74 by MitsukiHimeka »»
3 minutes ago

» Anime characters you find attractive that many people won't agree with

IssyBoy - Apr 13

42 by mshfqtny »»
6 minutes ago

» Anime Time Capsule

eli_shmeli - 6 hours ago

16 by Adnash »»
27 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.