Forum Settings
Forums
A Silent Voice
Available on Manga Store
New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (8) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 »
Jun 19, 2017 3:52 PM

May 2010
Its the type of movie That I would have loved when I was like....17....I guess I really have grown out of these cute school animes. The plot was cool but nothing I will remember in a few months lol
Jun 25, 2017 12:10 PM

Aug 2014
Unfortunately many recent Movies within the Anime industry are overrated.
It's all about over-dramatic melodramatic slice of life stuff with some tears and cry babies here and there, some romance and high school stuff.
I dont get why many people rate them instant 10/10 best movie ever. They dont excel in art or sounds or animation or themes or world building. They are just some Fine/Good/Average movies usually ranging within the rating of 5-7.

I miss the era of Ghost in the Shell 1995 or Akira or Early 2000's. But lets hope for something new and creative soon.
Jun 25, 2017 12:15 PM
Jul 2018
this movie is so bad, what retard would bully a mentally disabled person?
Jun 25, 2017 12:16 PM

May 2015
K-DabZ said:
Takamura-sama said:
I mean it was a 7/10 for me. A really good anime, but I think it's slightly overrated.
It feels like Anohana but worse TO ME.
I liked the movie a lot, but you guys are acting as if this is as good as Clannad After story.

Can Someone tell me why they liked this movie so much? I don't really understand.
>After Story
>Good

Pick one

Yeah, ikr. Clannad and masterpiece go together much better.

Jun 25, 2017 12:18 PM

May 2015

Jack_100HP said:

Guess you didn't reach past the first half hour.

Jun 25, 2017 12:19 PM
Jul 2018
Kittens-kun said:

Jack_100HP said:

i just read the first word of the synopsis and put it to completed
Jun 25, 2017 12:39 PM

May 2015
Jack_100HP said:
Kittens-kun said:

Please tell me you're joking. Why put it in completed when you haven't watched it?

Jun 25, 2017 12:40 PM
Jul 2018
Kittens-kun said:
Jack_100HP said:

Please tell me you're joking. Why put it in completed when you haven't watched it?
because i wanted to feel like an emo kid and listen to bullet for my valentine
but that shit never happened
Jun 26, 2017 5:17 AM
Oct 2015
The first time I watched it was in the theater and after the film finished everyone just started clapping which was the first time I've ever seen an audience clap after a film. Which tells me that everyone in that theater just simply enjoyed the film. :)
Heckle was here...
Jun 28, 2017 4:00 AM
Apr 2015
I liked it so much , but I dislike clanne for example! It is all about preferences and the kind of feelings each anime touchs on you .
Jul 8, 2017 9:13 AM

Feb 2016
To be honest. I found this movie boring. It's art and everything are beautiful. But what I'm really watching it's for the story. The navigation of the story is hazy to me. I can relate to the things that happened in the movie but it's just kinda boring to me.. 7/10.

YouTubeWeird Videos
Anime Edits
PixivSheetHost

"Salvation is a thin thread dangling from heaven."
- Mary ~ Death Mark

Jul 8, 2017 3:15 PM
Captain

Jun 2014
Yes, a little bit...just because of the ending... 8/10 for me
Jul 8, 2017 4:19 PM

Jan 2015
I've only read the manga, but I'm gonna say yes anyway.
Jul 16, 2017 11:33 PM
Sep 2016
Why create a thread saying its overrated I don't really think anything specially media like this can ever be overrated because at the end everyone will bring different perspective and life experience while watching it hence different chords getting struck. I am in no way saying that you're wrong but I guess you should just respect the someone else's opinion, let them be and move on.
Jul 25, 2017 12:13 AM

Jun 2009
thought this would be a good movie. It wasn't bad, but i was confused the whole time on what was going on and why. Maybe because I have gotten past the age where i can relate to these kids but I still liked anohana so dunno why not here.
Jul 25, 2017 5:15 AM
Nov 2016
It is an over rated anime movie if i will use the ratings here as a basis. Here it is rated 9/10
I am not saying its not good, what i am trying to say is that it should be around 7-8
I can use the movie ano hi mita hana no...
I had watched that and i scored it 8 though story is catchy, doesnt bore me from start to end while this movie catches my attention on the days they were still young.

Ano hi mita... 8/10
This movie 7/10
Air movie 6/10
Jul 25, 2017 5:17 AM
Jul 2017
This is what always what happens when a lot of people recommend a certain product. The best thing to do is not expect so much, just remember that a lot of people like said thing and you're not expected to like it. That's how I forget about hype. If you thought it was ok...ok. It's not overrated, obviously there's something there that you thought was nice and that and other things made people enjoy it a lot. There's nothing wrong with you, and there's NOTHING wrong with anyone else. So no....this is not a overrated show. If you found it really bad, then I guess that's your opinion, but maybe you'd have liked it better had there been no hype? It's best to just disregard hype to begin with.
Jul 25, 2017 5:33 AM

May 2012
One of the worst movies I've ever seen.
Jul 28, 2017 12:51 PM

Jan 2015
Yeah, I agree that this movie is actually underrated. I feel like people who would think otherwise do not understand the film.
Aug 6, 2017 1:10 AM
Feb 2009
Interrrrrpetgyu said:
One of the worst movies I've ever seen.

Yes, damn those anime that require you to use your brain

LOL

To think you'd learned that serious stuff don't suit you.

-------
but if I get serious

Good movie but I just can't give it 10 as manga was a lot better.
Aug 6, 2017 5:21 PM

Jul 2017
MorningPersona said:

people do. you act like it's not a common thing haha

i've seen it at my job even. a parent taking their child to a garden and they get a little loud sometimes and i've seen people make fun of them and saying things like
"they should get their kid under control" and other comments...

bulling is VERY common.

Aug 7, 2017 2:11 AM
Dec 2013
Ironic when this thread says it's overrated when it was completely underrated because it keeps getting against Kimi no Na wa.
Aug 7, 2017 2:23 AM

Oct 2015
aiem said:
Ironic when this thread says it's overrated when it was completely underrated because it keeps getting against Kimi no Na wa.
Oh look kimi no na wa is overrated. That means Koe no Katachi is underrated. *looks at score* lol no. It's score is as inflated as Kimi no Na wa. Should be around 8-8.5 really.
Aug 7, 2017 2:00 PM
Dec 2012
Watched Kimi no wa and Koe no Katachi today. Hated Kimi no wa. Started good, cool premise, likable characters. Just got more and more nonsensical and unfocused as the movie went on, characters got no notable development, and the whole thing just felt shallow. Actually wanted to turn it off by the end.

Koe no Katachi was amazing. Accurate portrayal of depression, great character development and compelling characters. Riveted from start to finish. Read the manga straight after and... I appreciated the depth it added to some of the scenes, but vastly preferred the cut of the film, as it was more focused on the core story, whilst the manga meanders a bit (especially the whole movie arc sub plot, great that they cut it!). Think it's best treated like supplementary material.
Aug 7, 2017 2:39 PM

Aug 2017
I read the manga and just thought it was okay, generic teenage drama with nothing special about it.
I'm gonna presume the film is pretty much the same, slightly heightened by Kyoani's direction.
Aug 7, 2017 2:49 PM

May 2015
EGOIST said:
aiem said:
Oh look kimi no na wa is overrated. That means Koe no Katachi is underrated. *looks at score* lol no. It's score is as inflated as Kimi no Na wa. Should be around 8-8.5 really.

Nope. KnK deserves the spot it has. Your Name doesn't.

Aug 7, 2017 2:53 PM

Jul 2017
I think it deserves its current spot. It's a story of redemption with heart-wrenching moments, so it relates to a lot of people.

Crying doesn't mean you're weak.
Enduring doesn't mean you're strong.
Aug 7, 2017 3:13 PM

Oct 2015
Kittens-kun said:
EGOIST said:

And why is that? Care to explain? KnK being more " realistic " as an explanation wouldn't cut it for me.
Aug 7, 2017 3:44 PM

May 2015
EGOIST said:
Kittens-kun said:

And why is that? Care to explain? KnK being more " realistic " as an explanation wouldn't cut it for me.

Because it's a better movie... It IS more realistic and it IS more emotionally gripping.
TsukuyomiREKTAug 7, 2017 3:57 PM

Aug 8, 2017 11:29 AM
Dec 2010
I dont know about the manga but the movie is so overrated.
Shoko is the victim of the bullying but the movie blames it all to her. They said because she cant open up with others and not being true to herself but come on how can you open up when people thinks of you as a pain in the ass to deal. You want to know whats going on around you but cant because you cant hear very well, if you hand over your notebook its a pain to others. Shoko even attempts to do that but her classmates eventually gave up and so does Shoko. And like others said the movie just feels so disjointed your typical manga to movie adaptation
Aug 9, 2017 2:41 PM
Dec 2013
EGOIST said:
aiem said:

Score doesn't mean anything. I'm talking about general response. More people would peg Your Name to A Silent Voice rather than talking about A Silent Voice for its own merits. Just go to any site that talked about movies from last year and you would see that Your Name gets brought up more compared to this. It mostly gets brought up just for comparison which fails to be objective for the fact that they're comparing two different stories and set of characters and not the technical aspects of the movie and how the directors approached their movies respectively.

That itself is what being truly underrated is. Not just basing it off of MAL.

EGOIST said:

Technicality wise, Shinkai did a great job. I wouldn't go as far as take it away from him but the movie was as devoid as gets. It was fun on the first watch especially when I watched it in AX, but afterwards it had no meaning. Mostly the fun came from having the Stockholm syndrome from watching all his past films. So seeing the reward become a reality gave it 10 times more impact at the first but had no lasting appeal.

I digress.

Speaking of why A Silent Voice IMO is still the better film was for the most part, the value of the show itself. The lasting message. It leaves you with things to think off. Not to mention on the technical aspect of the movie, Yamada just outclassed Shinkai in terms of making a film. Shinkai had this mainstream aura of direction. His framing was good. The scenery he uses to transition scenes and help impact the mood were very pretty but somehow actually felt hollow in terms of message. Things were laid out for the audience and read out like a book. Bombastic climax. Catchy music. Good ending. You name it.

Yamada on the other hand did something that most anime directors lack. Which is subtlety. She valued the saying, "Show. Not Tell". For the most part this movie didn't read it out to you how it came to be. It gives you hints which IMO will be problematic for those who don't pay attention. I wouldn't say that it's very cryptic but it can be cryptic to a particular set of audience. However those cryptic parts actually give the movie a rewatch value. Take for example the unvoiced parts. You wouldn't know it at first not unless you know Japanese Sign Language. So once you've pieced out, you get to understand Nishimiya better. And lastly, the camera work here is genius. It's not new from Yamada but it did one hell of a perfect job to depict Social Anxiety.

The list goes on but that will be it for why I think A Silent Voice is better than Your Name as a film.
aiemAug 9, 2017 3:15 PM
Aug 9, 2017 2:44 PM

Apr 2017
makOYzki said:
Shoko is the victim of the bullying but the movie blames it all to her.

Never heard anyone make this claim before. I think you misunderstand.
Aug 9, 2017 3:04 PM
Dec 2013
zodd0 said:
makOYzki said:
Shoko is the victim of the bullying but the movie blames it all to her.

He's not totally wrong. Shouko had some fault as well. The thing is she failed to reach out of others as well. She never spoke her mind.

The whole message of this movie is communication.

But yeah the movie doesn't go and blame her. So he definitely missed the point.
Aug 13, 2017 2:46 AM
Jul 2017
Takamura i hope u see this post. Koe no katachi is not overrated like u said. People score 9 or 10 because of the story development, that is rly good, the characters points o view ( the characters that the main character dont want to talk to, appears an x on theyr face) so ... The animation is amazing too etc... hope u ubderstood why koe no katachi deserves a 9/10 ir a 10/10 if u rly loved this 3 aspects ... Personally i did not score yet because im thinking!
Aug 13, 2017 2:47 AM
Jul 2017
Takamura i hope u see this post. Koe no katachi is not overrated like u said. People score 9 or 10 because of the story development, that is rly good, the characters points o view ( the characters that the main character dont want to talk to, appears an x on theyr face) so on ... The animation is amazing too etc... hope u understood why koe no katachi deserves a 9/10 or a 10/10 if u rly loved this 3 aspects ... Personally i did not score yet because im thinking!
Aug 13, 2017 6:11 AM

Nov 2007
aiem said:
He's not totally wrong. Shouko had some fault as well. The thing is she failed to reach out of others as well. She never spoke her mind.

Tell that about a normal girl and not someone with limitations. You probably have zero idea because you don't see what disability can do to a person, their level of confidence, their self-belief and the way they think they could be judged by others.

I wanted to ignore this thread but decided to give my 2 cents seeing the numbers of crappy posts that are spewed around in this ridiculous thread became a bit too much.
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Aug 13, 2017 10:16 AM
Dec 2016
Nah, i think KnK are not overrated or underrated but kimi no na wa are highly overrated.
Aug 14, 2017 8:37 AM
Dec 2013
shanimebib said:
aiem said:

Tell that about a normal girl and not someone with limitations. You probably have zero idea because you don't see what disability can do to a person, their level of confidence, their self-belief and the way they think they could be judged by others.

I wanted to ignore this thread but decided to give my 2 cents seeing the numbers of crappy posts that are spewed around in this ridiculous thread became a bit too much.

First of all. I'd like to say how ironic and insensitive of you to say that me as well. I have been caring for a disabled person for a long time and you have the gall to say that to me?

Now that's out of the way. I'll make it clear. In no way do I believe the movie entirely blames her. Everyone else had their share of guilt. The biggest offenders still remain to be the ones who bullied her. However, to say that Nishimiya did nothing wrong in all of the things that transpired is looking at the whole thing too one sided. Her keeping a fake smile didn't help her case. Her saying sorry all of the time and leaving it as such didn't help her case.

I know there is a point of hopelessness and a point where you are at your wit's end. I know that there is a circumstance that is truly irredeemable. However in their case, it wasn't that. The movie depicts hope beautifully between Shouko and Shouya. To help each other live through their adversities. But neither of them could do that if they truly don't communicate.
Aug 15, 2017 6:01 AM

Nov 2016
It is an incredible movie and it's my 2nd favourite anime film and the 5th of 6 10/10s I've given something (latest being Wolf Children). I've been reading the manga (up to chapter 59) and the movie improves on it a lot. Focuses on the Shouya and Shoko plotline and cuts out the unnecessary film directing subplot (which effected the pacing).

One thing worthy of note is that the movie ends at around the end of chapter 57 which leaves 7 chapters cut out from the movie. From the 2 chapters cut though it was about the film making though so it makes sense that it was cut. Not sure about the remaining 6 I haven't read as of yet.
Pixel_VapourAug 15, 2017 6:07 AM
Aug 17, 2017 7:00 AM
Dec 2010
aiem said:
zodd0 said:

She didnt reach out to others? There's a scene where she tried communicating with her notebook and people only got annoyed by it. You can see it in her notes at first people respond to her question then got sarcastic then eventually got rude and Nishimiya knows how shes asking too much to this people just to communicate to her thats why she's constantly saying sorry in her notes and that constantly saying sorry is also her fault apparently. And in the first place these bullies are the ones at fault that Nishimiya gave up communicating and felt useless it even traumatize her and became suicidal and when its too much and she commit suicide she apparently needs to apologize to the bullies for commiting suicide because at the end of the day its her fault for not communicating which is pretty simple for a person that got traumatize, right?
Aug 17, 2017 2:08 PM
May 2014
No, that would be Kimi no Na wa.

While having to leave out a lot of plot points and development from the manga for obvious time constraints, it also shifts a lot of the focus story wise. In the manga the dynamic of the two lead characters developing a relationship, overcoming strife, and helping each other grow really fuel the narrative. The film narrowed it's focus to Ishida, choosing to focus on his journey of redemption. If going in you expect the complex, yet subtle story of love healing two broken souls then yeah, the movie doesn't quite live up to it's lofty expectations. If you view it as a story of one boy's quest for redemption, healing, and happiness; then this film nails it.
Aug 17, 2017 2:31 PM
Jul 2018
zcohen17 said:
No, that would be Kimi no Na wa.

While having to leave out a lot of plot points and development from the manga for obvious time constraints, it also shifts a lot of the focus story wise. In the manga the dynamic of the two lead characters developing a relationship, overcoming strife, and helping each other grow really fuel the narrative. The film narrowed it's focus to Ishida, choosing to focus on his journey of redemption. If going in you expect the complex, yet subtle story of love healing two broken souls then yeah, the movie doesn't quite live up to it's lofty expectations. If you view it as a story of one boy's quest for redemption, healing, and happiness; then this film nails it.

Couldn't have said that better tbh.
Aug 21, 2017 1:06 AM
Dec 2013
makOYzki said:
aiem said:

She didnt reach out to others? There's a scene where she tried communicating with her notebook and people only got annoyed by it. You can see it in her notes at first people respond to her question then got sarcastic then eventually got rude and Nishimiya knows how shes asking too much to this people just to communicate to her thats why she's constantly saying sorry in her notes and that constantly saying sorry is also her fault apparently. And in the first place these bullies are the ones at fault that Nishimiya gave up communicating and felt useless it even traumatize her and became suicidal and when its too much and she commit suicide she apparently needs to apologize to the bullies for commiting suicide because at the end of the day its her fault for not communicating which is pretty simple for a person that got traumatize, right?

Reaching out in a sense that she didn't speak her mind. Like I said, the ones who buillied were still responsible for the mess. How she treated or carried herself as well made it more difficult for her circumstance.

Not to mention she still believes that she's worthless and tries to kill herself.
Aug 23, 2017 3:54 PM

Jan 2017
the only overated movie here is kimi no nawa
Aug 23, 2017 6:35 PM

Sep 2016
kikyo1hinamora said:

Everyone here has a different opinion. Everyone (should) respect others' opinions.
But no one has to agree with them.

For example, for me, seeing that the rating of Koe no Katachi is so close to the one of Kimi no na wa makes me cringe inside.
There is an huge abyss between this and Your Name. (At least for me)

To answer the first post, I think that this move it's extremely overrated as well.

Not bad, absolutely not bad, it's very good, but yet overrated. A lot.

I gave it a 7/10 at the time I saw it, because various reasons (mostly about the characters).
After reading the manga (to which I gave 8/10) I lowered my score to 6/10. The movie adaptation killed the last 2 volumes of the manga, basically making up an end with a scene from the second last volume, and all the part about the movie making for the school festival is almost completely cut out and put as a side thing. And the side characters' backstories...completely ignored.

(It's quite a bit late in the night for me so, if you want more reasoning about what I didn't like about this movie, read my review)

If you want to see a movie that makes a good telling of teenagers having trouble communicating to the other people, I advice you guys to watch Kokoro ga Sakebitagatterunda. It's basically this movie, with less cringy characters, and no cringy bullies. Definitely worth more the 8.24/10 it currently has, and probably even more the 9.08 rating of KnK.

My 2 cents. Bye.

FullyChargedAug 23, 2017 6:39 PM
bruh
Aug 23, 2017 9:36 PM
May 2014
kikyo1hinamora said:

Agreed, it was a great movie, but definitely over-hyped for me. There are just some glaring plot holes I can't over look with Your Name.
Aug 24, 2017 3:58 AM
Feb 2014
I really liked the manga for all the character development, and the play they did at the end where it pushes a very good and powerful message about regrets and suicide which I think is a much stronger message than "bullying is bad'.

Especially in this day and age that it's so strict in school now days, some kids growing up without experiencing bullying don't know how to cope with similar situations in society, when you are an adult you don't have a teacher figure to go to when you are being mistreated and nobody cares about you like they did when you were a kid.

And this is also why I find it difficult to relate to the story, when I was being bullied in primary school for being different, teachers in the UK did their best to help me out. So the premise that they can get away with bullying someone that's disabled without teachers interfering despite knowing, to me is ridiculous. Because people have sympathy, I think I would worry more about someone being bullied for being disabled and that's because having certain disabilities will actually limit what they can do in life.

So in the end I have this a 7/10 compared to a 10/10 for Kimi no Na Wa.
Aug 25, 2017 2:59 PM
Sep 2008
Yes.

Also, I really hate when movies try to come off as really deep, when they're really not.
Plus, how the blond girl was allowed to be portraiyed as this innocent, frail girl pissed me off. So many things she did was bitchy and selfish, but no one really calls her on it..
Sep 4, 2017 5:24 PM

Jul 2014
Came in to this incredibly hyped and expecting a beautiful emotional rollercoaster. Left me feeling mostly satisfied but a bit conflicted. I might be one of the few people who watched the movie first but still feel like the manga is better. I think my problems with the film can be summed up to: latter half's pacing due to the cramming of a bunch of important scenes without enough time to really focus on each of them, a lack of exploration into the secondary character motives that would have better explained their role in the friendship conflict (and thus justify the existence of the conflict and its dramatic tension), and the whole romance dynamic between Ishida and Shouko that kind of undercuts the "redemption, atonement, forgiveness" aspects of the story in favour of a cute sappy half hearted love story.

KazuyaKiyoshiSep 4, 2017 5:28 PM
Sep 7, 2017 8:26 PM
Apr 2017
I enjoyed this. Here's why: I came in with not knowing the story or having expectations. I loved the story idea and what they tried to get across in a short time. What made it excellent for me was the art. The scenery,the illustration, justblil details to me. Now I can completely see where there are holes with the side characters and I would have loved more there too but...idk jmo...what id likevto know is what do you all think is a 10 worthy anime
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (8) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Koe no Katachi Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

nihon_no_tsuki - Sep 21, 2016

700 by Morragan »»
Apr 4, 5:29 PM

» Ueno and miki (Spoiler)

Gilbertaxel17 - Jan 14

17 by Marianolove_55 »»
Mar 16, 9:39 AM

» Did you cry? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stacias - Aug 1, 2022

257 by LoveLikeBlood »»
Mar 3, 1:41 PM

» Sharing Whispers with Shoko - Moments that Made Us Fee

Sad-Life - Dec 31, 2023

11 by Aryan422 »»
Jan 2, 9:21 AM

» What are your opinions on Tomohiro?

Aldanaonair - Dec 29, 2023

7 by Squatch70 »»
Dec 29, 2023 1:52 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.