Forum Settings
Forums
New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (130) « First ... « 125 126 [127] 128 129 » ... Last »
Jul 25, 2017 2:33 PM

Mar 2015
Zaheezy said:
Let's say you're immortal. As in, you don't age and your body is immune to any kind of physical trauma. What would you do with eternity?

Since i cannot even die due to injuries or something, i would probably do a lot of extreme sports without safety equipment. Yeah, that would definitely be the first thing given that i´m an adrenaline junkee haha

I can see myself jumping off of and out of everything, trying to cross the highest highlines and so on...

Once i´ve lost fun doing this stuff, i´d probably just return to my normal life for as long as it does not bore me. The thought of not being able to die no matter what happens is pretty depressing. I´m certain that no matter how much the world changes, no matter how many developments and advancements you witness, there must be a point where everything is just boring and you are downright fed up with life.

I´d definitely prefer to be immortal yet being able to chose when it´s going to be all over.
Jul 25, 2017 2:34 PM

Mar 2016
If you could talk to your favourite anime girl (Umaru-chan), what would you tell her? xPP
Jul 25, 2017 2:35 PM

Mar 2015
vinroy11 said:
PhKay said:
Guys, just to be safe:

Do you mean the new surveys?

Your HST Surveys

The first survey of the new season will be posted on Monday, August 14th if i manage to stick to my plans. Both seasons so far started in the middle of August so at this point there is no reason to change that.

I wanted to let the Qualification Round for the World Survey Championships which will be part of Season 3 run all the way through the summer but i was extremely unhappy with the complicated system i created for it. This plus the fact Monia was gone for a while and also the HSTs being very inactive after the season ended made me cancel it.

Instead i will post a very simple qualification on August 1st which will also include the announcement and rules of the new season for those who wanna read it.
Jul 25, 2017 2:49 PM

Mar 2015
Domenca said:
How did you like Arakawa Under the Bridge?

I enjoyed it for the most part. It was definitely on of the more creative and crazyer anime i watched so far this year.

I especially enjoyed the whacky start of it and how Ichinomiya gets himself into the situation of living under the bridge in the first place. That really was hilarious and one of the funniest anime moments ever lol

I generally enjoyed the first half of the show better than the second half and that is because the main focus at all times was interactions between Kou and Nino which was done brilliantly. I wished they would have focused on those two only with everyone else remaining a supporting character which in my opinion is a better way to use extremely whacky characters. Nino almost seems normal when compared to a few others so it would have fit perfectly.

I thought introducing more and more weirdos who live under the bridge and giving them the majority of the screentime at the expense of Nino was really a shame. It never got bad or anything so i will for sure watch the 2nd season too, even though i´´m not going to watch it right away.

Arakawa has a few awesome extras. I laughed a lot, with my favorite funny scene apart from the introduction to the story which i already mentioned being Kou building an actual flat on this highground below the bridge lol Of course they didn´t show how he did it so it was a tremendous cutscene ^^

Also Maria´s OP song which was played before ep 4 stood out to me. The lyrics are so awesome. I feel sorry for everyone having to interact with her.

Still i´d call a few characters, especially Sister and Hoshi an annoying destruction rather than a true asset to the show. There´s not much behind those outfits but maybe i´ll learn more about them i can appreciate during season 2, i´ll see ;)

All in all it was a nice way to spend a couple of evenings. I generally appreciate creativity and more unique creations and Arakawa Under the Bridge for sure belongs in this category of shows.
Jul 25, 2017 2:53 PM

Mar 2015
Mochigi said:
If you could talk to your favourite anime girl (Umaru-chan), what would you tell her? xPP

don´t know...maybe...stay outside? lol Her Umaruuuun form is totally acceptable lol
However after all this time which has passed i´m still glad i am not forced to watch her once more. I can make the choice though so you´ll never know if she´ll cross my path ever again...

By the way your phrasing was wrong. You should´ve gone with "if i HAD to talk to Umaru instead of if you COULD...because if i could woould have an option to not talk to her at all which at first thought appears to be the smartest choice haha
Jul 25, 2017 2:57 PM

Mar 2016
Oh, okay then...

If you had to go on a date with Umaru-chan, where would you go to and why? xPP
Jul 25, 2017 3:29 PM

Mar 2015
sytemet said:
What are you're top 5 9/10 shows?

I just checked the last Top 5 list you asked me to do because i had a certain feeling...and i was right. Three of the five anime from this list (Mawaru Penguindrum, Serial Experiments Lain and Shinreigari Ghost Hound) would reappear on Top 5 9s again...

Therefore i will disqualify them from the list to make the answer more interesting for you. Those three would have finished in 2nd (Ghost Hound), 3rd (Penguindrum) and 5th (Lain) respectively.

5th Place: DENNOU COIL

It is always fascinating when you stumble across an anime from a genre you are usually not too fond off which then goes on to fascinate you regardless. Dennou Coil was the most recent exampe of it for me. I watched it earlier this year and when i finally decide to update my PhK Awards i will give this "Best Cyberpunk" or something. It created such a highly interesting world and a ton of awesome characters. All of them are unusually younf for the genre (9-12) yet still the anime is not constructed for a younger audience which gives it a rare twist. The vivid animation is fun and shows huge similarities to the Little Witch Acedemia artstyle i fell in love with so much so this is what ultimately lifts it into the list alongside the AWESOME build-up from comedic to more and more dramatic.

4th Place: JIGOKU SHOUJO FUTAKOMORI

One of my beloved multiple-season anime and Futakomori is the best season of this sensational episodic psychological horror. I often critized the use of horror elements in anime but i have no complaints here. Apart from featuring the most cruel stories, Futakomori also features the backstory of the main characters including Ai Enma herself and has some nice episodes putting Hone Onna (my favorite Hell Girl helper who also appears on my Waifus list!) in the spotlight. So glad a new season of Hell Girl is currently airing!

3rd Place: HANASAKU IROHA

Well here is a nice change of pace as my favorite pure Slice of Life anime of all time is finally making its appearance. Nothing but a normal girl working hard in an Inn, growing closer to her co-workers and most importantly growing as a person which gets her a lot closer to adulthood. No extra drama, just Slice of Life as it should be accompanied by P.A. Works animation and a rural setting, an unstppable combo haha

2nd Place: MUSHISHI ZOKU SHOU

We remain in the relaxing anime category and now get to the most relaxing anime ever created: Mushishi. Three seasons of it have a 9 on my list but i think Zoku Shou is the best as it features the highest number of interesting cases for my taste. It´s just astonishing that one main character, very few words, the calmest of sound and basically zero additional drama-build up mix together to create such a masterpiece.

1st Place: LITTLE WITCH ACADEMIA

What is this?! No MALs favorite anime ever Kimi no na wa??? No Monogatari??? What is wrong with me?! Easy to explain, i was enchanted (pun intented) by Atsuko and all the other lovely witches of Little Witch Academia! This show is still very fresh in my memory yet i cannot recall anything negative. In my review of it when it was asked about it, i mentioned it being the closest a 9 ever came to being a 10 so it is only logical i put this in 1st place. Every character is unique and created with so much thought, the story is magnificent, the outfits...THE OUTFITS! The witch clichés are used for perfectly and, as i already mentioned, i totally fell in love with the...what was the word you used for it?...oh yeah! vivid artstyle. I hate to say it because i feel like betraying my beloved P.A. Works studio, but this might just be my favorite single artstyle of all time!

To summarize and help to put things into perspective, this is how the a Top 10 of 9-rated shows looks like without disqualifications:

1. Little Witch Academia
2. Shinreigari: Ghost Hound
3. Mawaru Penguidrum
4. Mushishi Zoku Shou
5. Serial Experiments Lain
6. Hanasaku Iroha
7. Jigoku Shoujo Futakomori
8. Dennou Coil
9. Owarimonogatari
10. Kimi no na wa
Jul 25, 2017 3:32 PM

Mar 2015
Mochigi said:
Oh, okay then...

If you had to go on a date with Umaru-chan, where would you go to and why? xPP

The arcade is the only place to go!
Why? Because she is most likely to forget she´s on a date in the first place as soon as we get there lol

I´ll make sure Sylphin is there too so she can handle the rest haha
Jul 26, 2017 6:28 AM

Dec 2013
PhKay said:
vinroy11 said:

Your HST Surveys

The first survey of the new season will be posted on Monday, August 14th if i manage to stick to my plans. Both seasons so far started in the middle of August so at this point there is no reason to change that.

I wanted to let the Qualification Round for the World Survey Championships which will be part of Season 3 run all the way through the summer but i was extremely unhappy with the complicated system i created for it. This plus the fact Monia was gone for a while and also the HSTs being very inactive after the season ended made me cancel it.

Instead i will post a very simple qualification on August 1st which will also include the announcement and rules of the new season for those who wanna read it.

PM me when you post it~

“Please take responsibility, okay?”

Jul 26, 2017 8:55 AM

Mar 2015
vinroy11 said:
PhKay said:

PM me when you post it~

Sure ^^
Jul 31, 2017 7:27 AM

Dec 2013
And what do you think of the current season?
Jul 31, 2017 11:36 AM

Dec 2015
What do you think of spoilers?
Aug 2, 2017 12:05 PM

Mar 2015
World Survey Championship Qualification:

so here is my own Top 10 of foreigners in anime!

1. Chloe Lemaire (FRA, Girlfriend Kari)
2. Celty Sturluson (IRL, Durarara!!)
3. Miria Harvent (USA, Baccano!)
4. Italy (ITA, Hetalia)
5. Avril Bradley (GBR, Gosick)
6. Chane Laforet (FRA, Baccano!)
7. Kudryavka "Kud-chan" Noumi (RUS, Little Busters!)
8. Jianliang Li aka Henry Wong (CHN, Digimon Tamers)
9. Eriri Spencer Sawamura (GBR, Saekano)
10. Sophie Noel (FRA, Kuromukuro)

this was harder than i thought lol
Aug 2, 2017 12:42 PM

Mar 2015
Domenca said:
And what do you think of the current season?

I´m unable to comment on this because since i have two shows i watch airing which carry over from Spring, i´m only watching two airing shows this summer and one of them hasn´t started airing which is of course the new season of the Monogatari Series which will not start airing before August 12th.

So the only thing that started airing and i´m watching is my "Hype of the Year" Jigoku Shoujo: Yoi no Togi, the 4th season of Hell Girl which is one of my favorite shows.

It started really well. After episode 1 i was bit worried they would stick with the school setting from Season 3 which i was pretty critical off but this proved to be not the case and the latest episode (Ep. 3) was really going back to the intenseness and psychological impact of the first two seasons so i´m very pleased with it for now. I do miss my "waifu"´s traditional clothing and hairstyle a bit but i´m liking her modern day appearance more and more too haha
They introduced a new (non- living human) character to the season which it appears will be built up to be some kind of opposition to Ai and her helpers so i look forward to earn more about who she is and how the overarching plot will develop alongside the episodic nature of the series.

The rest...well...there is really not much catching my eye so in terms of the new shows it really looks bad but i will have to give one or two anime a chance anyway to make a final statement. Right now i could not be less excited for the non-sequels -.-

I´m happy New Game received a 2nd season though so i´m definitely going to binge-watch that one once it finishes :)
Aug 2, 2017 12:48 PM

Mar 2015
sytemet said:
What do you think of spoilers?

hmmm...it really depends a lot on the genre. I do not mind comedy spoilers at all and often i like it even more when i know which joke is coming which is probably one of the main reason Haruhi is the anime i rewatched most often in my life because i think that its comedic parts are among the greatest comedy in anime ever.

I also don´t mind spoilers which aren´t directly important to the big picture of the whole story.

On the other hand, spoilers which really destroy a show for me would be when i know what´s going to happen in the end, ESPECIALLY in mystery, psychological and other shows with genres of a more serious nature. I´m kind of glad i don´t read manga for this reason as if i were a fan i would have to force myself to stay away from any manga which has a realistic chance to get an anime adaptation in the future.

Spoilers which i also mind are learning when somebody is going to die lol...this also ruins the way you look at and judge the character while they are still alive and part of the storyline.

Sometimes it is a really hard challenge for me to not click those annoying spoiler buttons when someone talks about a show i plan to watch in here haha
Aug 4, 2017 11:27 AM

Aug 2015
What do you think of Sakura Quest so far? (No spoilers please) And more importantly, can you objectively rate titles from P.A. Works, since it's your favorite studio?
Aug 5, 2017 11:58 AM

Mar 2015
Puchkov said:
What do you think of Sakura Quest so far? (No spoilers please) And more importantly, can you objectively rate titles from P.A. Works, since it's your favorite studio?

I love Sakura Quest!

It combines so many strengths of P.A. Works extremely well and almost feels like a best of of past PA series as it has the great depiction of hard work and also the enormous variety of superb characters from Shirobako, the rural beauty of Tari Tari or Hanasaku Iroha and has a great balance of comedy and seriousness when it comes to reaching the main goal of making the forgotten region of Manoyama a tourist magnet once again.

It features so many elements i always loved in anime. Rural Slice of Life shows are the perfect watch for my taste and Sakura Quest does such a great job with it.

--------------

I think i am able to rate P.A. Works anime objectively and according to MAL graph, it actually isn´t even my favorite studio when it comes to cold hard numbers lol

P.A. just has a bunch of trademarks which i like a lot and others people hate...for example playing around with pacing which is generally not very popular. Again, they also tend to use more rural settings and create beautiful and relaxed atmospheres so it is not like i decided on them being my favorite studio. It just is the studio that plays into what i love most often and when they fail, i am able to give their shows lower ratings as well as i did with Glasslip for example.

I do not think any of their shows would have gotten a different rating if they were made by a different studio. They are just least likely to produce an anime i´m not interested in simply because they generally stay out of genres i am less interested in.
Aug 5, 2017 12:23 PM

Mar 2016
How can I attract people to join my harem? xDD
Aug 7, 2017 2:45 PM

Mar 2015
Mochigi said:
How can I attract people to join my harem? xDD

well not sure about that but thanks for trying to recruit a new cafe member for my surveys...i might join your harem myself if it succeeds hahaha

Aug 8, 2017 5:21 PM

Mar 2016
How much energy does it take you to type a whole novel on your keyboard? xD
>What type of keyboard?
>How much energy is required to press a single letter? (big key <-> small key)
>How many characters does an average novel contain?
Aug 8, 2017 8:21 PM

Mar 2016
How much important is it to have a person you love and understand you in your life (in short, I mean a gf, but i prefer to refer to it in a more profound way) ?
Aug 9, 2017 10:57 AM

Mar 2015
DragonSlayer_19 said:
How much important is it to have a person you love and understand you in your life (in short, I mean a gf, but i prefer to refer to it in a more profound way) ?

Well, as for me i can hardly imagine myself without my partner as she was my first girlfriend and i managed to keep her to this day somehow so i've never been without a partner for my whole entire adult life. This is kinda rare as it means i can't compare it to a life as a single for my lack of experience in being solo or never having to go through a split up.

The nicest thing about being in a relationship and also what is enormously important to me is to know that there is someone you can rely on to support you in tougher times and you don't even have to explain what is wrong, she'll notice and take action immediately. Obviously it does not take a partner to take this role, a relative or a best friend can achieve the same thing, but to me this person is definitely my partner and vice versa.

I think being in a relationship is just incredibly helpful to become an adult and settle down in life. Opening up to a person outside of your family in such a way requires a bit of bravery but the reward you get when you let someone know about all your weaknesses and fears can be a mindblowing experience.

However, i have good friends around my age (32) who prefer to not be in a relationship and they are happier with the carefreeness and freedom a life as a single offers so how important a partner is in general is impossible to answer. Everyone has to decide for themselves what kind of life they wanna live. However, the vast majority of people at some point choose to keep their partner, live together and maybe start a family if it feels right so i do think everyone has a desire to live like this once the perfect person for that enters your life.
Aug 9, 2017 1:23 PM

Dec 2013
Do you watch the athletics world cup?
Aug 9, 2017 1:52 PM

Dec 2015
PhKay said:

spoiler talk...

What about dramas, spoiling how a character develops, for example?

Also, what do you think of this study (I made a TL;DR if you don’t want to read it)?

TL;DR
An experiment was made were people were given short stories to read and they had to rate them based on enjoyment. Some were spoiled before-handed. It turned out that especially in stories with ironic plot-twists and mysteries the subjects preferred the stories spoiled to the unspoiled ones.
Aug 10, 2017 4:15 PM

Mar 2015
Mochigi said:
How much energy does it take you to type a whole novel on your keyboard? xD
>What type of keyboard?
>How much energy is required to press a single letter? (big key <-> small key)
>How many characters does an average novel contain?

i will require some scientific research to answer those so i hope you have a little patience with me haha
Aug 10, 2017 4:27 PM

Mar 2015
sytemet said:
PhKay said:

spoiler talk...

What about dramas, spoiling how a character develops, for example?

Also, what do you think of this study (I made a TL;DR if you don’t want to read it)?

TL;DR
An experiment was made were people were given short stories to read and they had to rate them based on enjoyment. Some were spoiled before-handed. It turned out that especially in stories with ironic plot-twists and mysteries the subjects preferred the stories spoiled to the unspoiled ones.

A very interesting study. I read the whole thing and i have to say i am very surprised by the outcome mainly because i am still sure i would belong to the minority of people as spoilers have ruined a few anime for me in the past.

What caught my eye though was that the participants by gender were very unbalanced as 643 females and only 176 males took part. Since there is no split results for women and men, maybe women care less about spoilers?! This would be something i personality experience in my life actually as i know for sure my girlfriend loves to spoiler herself and also my mom cares much less about being spoilered then my dad who instantly switches the program in anger when he gets spoilered unintentionally lol

As for character development spoilers in drama, i THINK i would not mind those too much although i still prefer not to know. I think i would mind much more to get spoilered about WHY the character develops into whatever he develops into rather than just knowing that it is going to happen. A prominent example was Star Wars where the knowledge of Anakin turning evil and into Darth Vader actually added excitement to Episode III where fans finally learned about how it all ultimately happened.

However, i wrote THINK instead of KNOW because i have no experience which spoilers of this kind. Certainly not in anime and as far as Star Wars goes, it might´ve been the years that passed since i saw the old trilogy. Maybe i would have felt differently had i not watched Episodes 4-6 yet still got spoilered on Anakin. Also, Star wars hardly qualifies as drama so i really think i have zero experience with getting spoilered in real drama, no matter if in anime or live action.
Aug 10, 2017 4:37 PM

Mar 2015
Domenca said:
Do you watch the athletics world cup?

I watched like...half of the evening sessions so basically when i am at home i switch it on. I´m not enough of a track and field fan to watch semifinals, let alone stay at home because i wanna watch it so badly.

Guess most importantly i watched the men´s 100 metres final where Usain Bolt unfortunately was beaten. I kinda saw it coming which is why i was surprised he picked 100 over 200 for his final singles race. I´m not going to say it destroyed his legacy because it didn´t but it would still have been awesome to remain undefeated in the biggest events (World Champs and Olympics). One could say it happened in 2011 but he beat himself there with the fault start so it doesn´t count in my opinion lol

Sucks Gatlin won because as a 2-time caught doping abuser, he should not be allowed to run professionally anymore. Everyone deserves a 2nd chance but a 3rd one? Rules are too lax here...

Nothing too outstanding happened so far in other events. The winning performances are rather disappointing for winning standards which is especially a shame for this absolutely amazing crowd in London. The brits sure love their sports and the stadium is packed every single night so they kinda deserve a but more excitement than they got so far.
Aug 10, 2017 4:54 PM

Mar 2016
PhKay said:

i will require some scientific research to answer those so i hope you have a little patience with me haha

No worries, whenever you feel like it^^
Aug 14, 2017 1:17 PM

Dec 2015
PhKay said:

A very interesting study. I read the whole thing and i have to say i am very surprised by the outcome mainly because i am still sure i would belong to the minority of people as spoilers have ruined a few anime for me in the past.

What caught my eye though was that the participants by gender were very unbalanced as 643 females and only 176 males took part. Since there is no split results for women and men, maybe women care less about spoilers?! This would be something i personality experience in my life actually as i know for sure my girlfriend loves to spoiler herself and also my mom cares much less about being spoilered then my dad who instantly switches the program in anger when he gets spoilered unintentionally lol

As for character development spoilers in drama, i THINK i would not mind those too much although i still prefer not to know. I think i would mind much more to get spoilered about WHY the character develops into whatever he develops into rather than just knowing that it is going to happen. A prominent example was Star Wars where the knowledge of Anakin turning evil and into Darth Vader actually added excitement to Episode III where fans finally learned about how it all ultimately happened.

However, i wrote THINK instead of KNOW because i have no experience which spoilers of this kind. Certainly not in anime and as far as Star Wars goes, it might´ve been the years that passed since i saw the old trilogy. Maybe i would have felt differently had i not watched Episodes 4-6 yet still got spoilered on Anakin. Also, Star wars hardly qualifies as drama so i really think i have zero experience with getting spoilered in real drama, no matter if in anime or live action.

I agree with the unbalanced ratio between females and males, also - if I understood correctly - they were all university students, and 800 or so doesn’t strike to me as a particularly large portion (especially as half were the control-group) as people tend to rate on a very different metrics, though I could be wrong: I’m not an expert in how to do psychological experiments.

However, I definitely recognize myself as someone who would probably rate higher if spoiled as knowing what happens allows me to examine the structure, foreshadowing and otherwise (in my opinion) more important things with more care as I have indications to which I should pay attention to, allowing me to notice more interesting things the whole way through. That’s why I love rewatching stuff so much.

I still tend to avoid spoilers (with varying results), because experiencing something for the first time can only be done once (duh) and rewatching the show has all the benefits of spoilers and more, which is also not something the study touched upon.

What anime have been ruined to you by spoilers?

Edit: Also, did you notice Owarimonogatari s2 is the highest scored anime on MAL right now!?
sytemetAug 15, 2017 10:47 AM
Aug 15, 2017 12:19 PM

Aug 2008
Do you think there's going to be an Anime industry rash, why & why not?
Aug 16, 2017 4:34 PM

Mar 2015
my own survey 88 answer, Full Version:

Step 1:

Hitagi Senjougahara (Monogatari Series)
Victorique de Blois (Gosick)
Suzuka Asahina (Suzuka)
Chane Laforet (Baccano!)
Eriri Spencer Sawamura (Saekano)

Step 2:

C1: It is close between Chane and Victorique but since Chane acts violently towards others due to the nature of Baccano, she might be more like a Yandere in this regard so i give it to Vicky who basically looks down upon everybody lol
Hitagi is only nominated because she is impossible to pass on as a self-proclaimed tsundere but she isn´t too mean to others at all so she gets -1.

C2: Situational comedy is a massive strength of the Monogatari Series although Hitagi rarely involved in it so the benefit of the doubt goes to Eriri while Suzuka is an easy -1.

C3: Chane´s one and only blushing scene is awesome because you enver expect it to happen but it cannot compare with Vicky. Suzuka remains abstinent from blushing for the whole anime which is a shame so she takes another loss.

C4: I love Victorique´s character design with her tiny stature, fancy dresses and fake pipe. It is too perfect! Eriri takes a little stumble here...not that her design is bad -.-

So Vicky destroys everybody and scores 9pts! Eriri is also safe at +2. Even though Chane stayed out of all competitions entirely, the 0pts are enough for third as Suzuka and a disappointing Hitagi finish in negative territory and are eliminated!

Step 3:

1, I scored Gosick a 9, Baccano 8 and Saekano 7 so Victorique keeps on rolling and is sent to the final first!

2, In the member favorite department, Eriri defeats Chance by a little over 200 although i am surprised Spencer does not have more of them o.O.

anyways, it was enough and CHANE is out!

Step 4:

well, Eriri´s warm sides are really awesome but how can she win against a character who...GOSICK SPOILERS!

VICTORIQUE DE BLOIS is crowned Best Tsundere in Anime!

Aug 16, 2017 4:39 PM

Mar 2015
my own survey 88 answer, short version:

Step 1:

so here´s the 2nd chance for...

Hitagi Senjougahara (Monogatari Series)
Suzuka Asahina (Suzuka)
Chane Laforet (Baccano!)
Eriri Spencer Sawamura (Saekano)

The Eliminator!

E1: This is tough between Hitagi and Suzuka as none of the four is particularly unpopular. I flipped a coin between the two named characters and Hitagi has to leave first!

E2: Eriri puts way too much effort into her dream to become a brilliant artist to be eliminated here and the same goes for Suzuka´s quest to become a professional high jumper so i guess i have to eliminate Chane here.

E3: I definitely enjoyed following Eriri a lot more than Suzuka.

ERIRI SPENCER wins the short version of "Best Tsundere!"
Aug 16, 2017 5:59 PM

Mar 2015
sytemet said:
PhKay said:

I agree with the unbalanced ratio between females and males, also - if I understood correctly - they were all university students, and 800 or so doesn’t strike to me as a particularly large portion (especially as half were the control-group) as people tend to rate on a very different metrics, though I could be wrong: I’m not an expert in how to do psychological experiments.

However, I definitely recognize myself as someone who would probably rate higher if spoiled as knowing what happens allows me to examine the structure, foreshadowing and otherwise (in my opinion) more important things with more care as I have indications to which I should pay attention to, allowing me to notice more interesting things the whole way through. That’s why I love rewatching stuff so much.

I still tend to avoid spoilers (with varying results), because experiencing something for the first time can only be done once (duh) and rewatching the show has all the benefits of spoilers and more, which is also not something the study touched upon.

What anime have been ruined to you by spoilers?

Edit: Also, did you notice Owarimonogatari s2 is the highest scored anime on MAL right now!?

"Funny" enough but the most annoying spoilered anime for me because i thought i would probably enjoy the anime is Higurashi, the anime @Puchkov watched recently and you asked him if he would recommend the show to me haha i laughed when i saw this right after you asked about spoilers so it was a weird coincidence!

Another very prominent anime that got spoilered for me is Death Note because it aired on german TV and i couldn´t help but watch when i was at home so i saw like...4-5 random episodes and ended up reading the summary of the episodes i missed in between those i´ve seen.

For both shows, i wonder if there´s still enough excitement in it for me. I have not given up on any of them so "ruined" might not be the best word for it but i find it hard to make the decision to go for it when there is so much other stuff out there -.-

As for really, LITERALLY RUINED...that would be Digimon Frontier in one of the most unlikeliest, unlucky spoiler incidents of all time and i was the victim haha you won´t believe this. I watched Frontier on TV and it was aired here at the pace of 1 episode a week. It has 50 episodes and as a Digimon fan i looked forward to every single episode like i did with the previous seasons. I can´t exactly remember when it happened but somewhere around week 35 or so i was out with a friend at a bar (!) and believe it or not, on the table next to us four buddies talked about Frontier! I couldn´t avoid listening in the first place but i didn´t see the danger anyways as i thought in the pre-streaming site days (it was 2004 so maybe streaming was already around but i wasn´t introduced to it at the time) they can only talk about the stuff that already happened on local TV but suddenly, i realised they´ve all seen it to finish and the discussed it passionately and really loud and i thought WHY ON EARTH DOES THIS HAPPEN TO ME ?!? Since i watched at airing pace i felt like i wasted over half a year with Frontier. I of course kept on watching it to the end but every time something interesting happened i couldn´t help but think it would be a much better experience if i wouldn´t know. At least it was still Digimon so since there is no way a show like this ends in a tragedy, it could have been worse in retrospective but at the time it really annoyed me a lot.

I was mildly spoilered in a way i stated does not bother me much numerous times really but as i said, never again in such a horrible, enjoyment-destroying way ever again.

--------------------------------------------------------

Owari 2nd was first?! LOL i missed that one. I checked before i started answering your question and Kimi no na wa was back on top. Things got extremely close though between the Top 3 o.O.

It is funny it tops the rankings after two double-episodes but i still can´t help but find it stupid something like this is possible.
It is ok early-rating is possible for personal reasons and to let people know who you feel about an anime at a particular point in time but it should not affect the MAL rankings before it finished airing in my opinion because sequels in general get tons of troll-10s extremely early in too because (younger) folks want to hype their beloved show to the top. It kills the reputation of the ranking so at this point i´m glad Kimi no na wa is back on top. By the time a show finished airing troll-10s are cancelled out by all those seasonal watchers who rate seriously.
Aug 16, 2017 6:10 PM

Mar 2015
SweetMonia said:
Do you think there's going to be an Anime industry rash, why & why not?

I don´t see it happening. The anime industry in general is just way too professionalized to let a large enough number of unpleasant events happen to call it a rash.

Most importantly, studios are rivals and watch each other closely. If one studio makes a bit decision, the rest will do everything to avoid it or they will even parody it if they wanna rub some salt into open wounds hehe

It is more likely the viewers can cause a rash when illegal streaming "wins" the battle entirely but the japanese have always been very creative when it comes to tackling issues or selling their products so even here i still think there will always be a large enough number of people who feel like actually OWNING their anime and merchandise or simply want to support the industry by buying stuff.

Also, even though the internet was and still is a pain for many art-related industries like the film- and music industry, companies finally make progress using the internet to their advantage themselves as a countermeasure instead of just demonizing it like they did in the early days.
Aug 16, 2017 9:31 PM

Dec 2015
PhKay said:

Owari 2nd was first?! LOL i missed that one. I checked before i started answering your question and Kimi no na wa was back on top. Things got extremely close though between the Top 3 o.O.

It is funny it tops the rankings after two double-episodes but i still can´t help but find it stupid something like this is possible.
It is ok early-rating is possible for personal reasons and to let people know who you feel about an anime at a particular point in time but it should not affect the MAL rankings before it finished airing in my opinion because sequels in general get tons of troll-10s extremely early in too because (younger) folks want to hype their beloved show to the top. It kills the reputation of the ranking so at this point i´m glad Kimi no na wa is back on top. By the time a show finished airing troll-10s are cancelled out by all those seasonal watchers who rate seriously.

Yeah it peaked at 9.28

It seems you’ve missed out. The season is already finished, all of the episodes aired within two days (there’s 3 or 7 depending on how you segment them I guess) and the 10s aren’t trolls. In fact there’s quite a number of 1/10’s given by people who didn’t like owari suddenly reaching the first place (There are easily more ones than there are everything from twos to sixes combined). Though I’m sure the ranking will drop once it has been seen by more than just the biggest fans of the series.
Aug 17, 2017 5:30 AM

Mar 2015
sytemet said:
PhKay said:

Yeah it peaked at 9.28

It seems you’ve missed out. The season is already finished, all of the episodes aired within two days (there’s 3 or 7 depending on how you segment them I guess) and the 10s aren’t trolls. In fact there’s quite a number of 1/10’s given by people who didn’t like owari suddenly reaching the first place (There are easily more ones than there are everything from twos to sixes combined). Though I’m sure the ranking will drop once it has been seen by more than just the biggest fans of the series.

Ouch...that was embarrassing haha
A couple of stressful weeks is all it takes for me to not realise the first thing about an anime even if it's Monogatari!
However, i'm kinda disappointed to learn about it being a short season. All this wait and hype to finally get weekly Monogatari entertainment again for nothing :(

At least the quality is great from what i've seen so far. Mayoi Hell is absolutely incredible.
Aug 17, 2017 10:58 AM

Aug 2015
Which are your top 5 Anime with the highest re-watch value? (Not sure if they would be same as your favorite list).
Aug 18, 2017 2:00 AM

Dec 2015
So how was it?
Aug 18, 2017 6:59 AM

Mar 2015
Puchkov said:
Which are your top 5 Anime with the highest re-watch value? (Not sure if they would be same as your favorite list).

yeah unfortunately there will be a massive overlap with my favorites but also at least one surprise and also the reasoning might or might not be interesting for you so here we go!

5th Place: SAMURAI CHAMPLOO

I watched my favorite anime of all time three times so far: first time in german when i got introduced to it by TV, later i streamed it in japanese and english. I don´t think i will rewatch it again anytime soon but it would just be weird to not put it on here. Who is happy with watching his favorite anime just once? ;)

4th Place: THE MONOGATARI SERIES AS A WHOLE

After the main storyline (but not the whole series) has finally finished and many years have passed since Season 1 and sometimes the gap between the seasons was quite big, there is a lot of rewatch value to this for many Monogatari fans including myself. It is impossible to remember all these brilliant arcs and how they are connected when you watched everything airing so locking myself up for a week and binge-watching through the whole thing is a VERY awesome thought. Maybe this time watching it in chronological order to switch things up!

3rd Place: GOCHUUMON WA USAGI DESU GA?

Every anime fan needs a bit of nonsensical, cute Slice of Life to switch their brain off and relax for a while. GochiUsa is on top of the world when it comes to cuteness and comedic nonsense. Combined with the fact that knowing "the ending" doesn´t matter at all it is the best CGDCT to rewatch as all others i know have at least a tiny bit of depth to them which makes spoilers a bit more annoying.

2nd Place: SERIAL EXPERIMENTS LAIN

I consider this the most complex anime i´ve seen so far. It challenges your brain a lot so even though i haven´t rewatched it yet in a classical sense, i did sometimes rewatch single episodes if i didn´t fully understand and when i felt like a scene is super important, i even rewatched that scene multiple times until i felt like i soaked up every word that was said and every frame which was shown. You can get lost in Lain by missing the smallest detail. You can find new aspects and create a new logic to each scene for yourself in your head whenever you feel like you understood something that was a mystery to you at first and that gives it enormous rewatch value. There is so much to explore in this anime if you are ready to fully enter its world.

1st Place: THE MELANCHOLY OF HARUHI SUZUMIYA

As you correctly stated in your HST, i am a fan of more SoL-oriented Mystery rather than thrillers or other more violent genres. Suzumiya is the single greatest example for these kinda shows for me. Also, its lightest and most comedic moments are among my favorite comedy moments in anime ever. They fit my humor so perfectly, it is almost like going to a comedy theatre and who wants to see his favorite comedian just once? No matter how often you hear a great joke, you still laugh. This is how i feel about the comedy in Haruhi. And the final aspect why i put it in Nr. 1 is that it has a fairly open ending which makes being spoilered on the ending less relevant.

It is in fact the anime i rewatched the most (7 times) over the years with maybe the exception of a few Ghibli movies which i cannot help but watch every single time they are shown on television. I probably saw Princess Mononoke 25 times or so haha
Aug 18, 2017 7:19 AM

Mar 2015
sytemet said:
So how was it?

It was extremely awesome and i understand now how Monogatari fans wanted it to top the MAL rankings while haters tried to hinder it haha this happens so often when a story gets concluded after such a long time. I cannot help but state i am still disappointed in the format. Handling such an important moment in the series, the end of Koyomis high school story by advertising as if we are in for another full season and then releasing all 7 episodes in two days is kinda lame and might even have led to me not giving it the 10 i could easily have given as well.

MAYOI HELL was my favorite arc of Owari 2nd. One of the most interesting dialogues in anime ever in the middle of a hilariously over the top...ahem..."reunification" scene between Mayoi and Koyomi and

The Hitagi Date arc thingy was not only something to bridge some time but i cannot feel but think i would have preferred this to be filler material only. Many Monogatari fans have hoped for a long time to finally see Hitagi and Koyomi go on an extended date ever since their beautiful scene under the stars waaaaaay back in Bakemonogatari and while it was still greatness, Ougi interrupting HERE was kinda annoying haha i would have liked it better as a filler only kinda thing to relax watchers before the ultimate showdown arrives in Ougi Dark. I understand it was somewhat necessary to put Ougis words in there.

The climax itself...it was close to perfection.

After all, Shinobu takes the crown of most interesting character in anime for good. Since Kizu showed the whole Monogatari community her ugliest face and what she has done for CENTURIES the choices she made for herself at the end are just mindblowing. One of the best character developments ever shown on screen.

All in all the Monogatari Series was THE most amazing anime experience for me. I sincerely hope (and i am pretty optimistic) everything that has yet to come will also be turned into an anime! I hope i can avoid spoilering myself about the already written content after Owarimonogatari until they announce there will not be more anime. If that ever happens, i am basically bound to finally read a novel for the first time in my life haha
Aug 18, 2017 8:23 AM

Dec 2015
PhKay said:
If that ever happens, i am basically bound to finally read a novel for the first time in my life haha

You are already bound to read a novel after asking me about my whole Monogatari experience and owari2 in the same question :P

Coming back to the rest of the post later.
Aug 19, 2017 6:10 AM

Apr 2016
Is Trigun worth watching ?
I… remember.
That a young woman had come.
Sitting there, quietly, she would write letters.
I… remember.
The figures of that person… and of my kindly smiling mother.
That sight… surely…
I would not forget even if I died.
Aug 19, 2017 2:21 PM

Dec 2013
How was Nasu: Andalusia no Natsu? Seems like pretty real cycling anime, should I watch it?
Aug 19, 2017 7:02 PM

May 2014
Hey! I'm back! (probably. Sorry for missing that one other survey you had ><)

Anyways now for questions!

Every season there are many new anime and I can see that you've picked up some of them this season. How do you decide which ones to pick up? Is it just at random or do you employ very "complex" strategies to maximize your chances of watching something good?
Aug 20, 2017 5:08 AM

Mar 2015
sytemet said:
PhKay said:
If that ever happens, i am basically bound to finally read a novel for the first time in my life haha

You are already bound to read a novel after asking me about my whole Monogatari experience and owari2 in the same question :P

Coming back to the rest of the post later.

lol

looking forward to your answer. Since you take some time, i guess it´s gonna be long haha
Aug 20, 2017 5:17 AM

Mar 2015
Morferz said:
Is Trigun worth watching ?

Absolutely.

I am NOT a big fan of the action genre and i usually avoid bad or dated animation. However, even if i just watched Trigun last year, i got a good amount of enjoyment out of it so it am not surprised it has turned into an all time classic. It is much celebrated by the community for a reason.

Earlier on it is lighter than i thought and the humor is really good as well in my opinion and once the story reaches its more serious part and builds up for the climax, you´ve learned so much about the characters that you really care for them.

The characters are definitely the strongest point of the anime with Vash the Stampede being such a diverse character with many different facets and the other main characters also receive a ton of development and add their best to the show.

The story itself is rather simple on the surface but i think that´s okay in an action anime. It is one of the few shows i recommend watching in english by the way. There´s obviously nothing wrong with watching the original but even though everything plays out on another planet, it feels extremely american as everyone has english names and the currency on the planet is called "double-dollars" haha so it feels like an american anime i can´t help it.

I switched to english out of curiousity by episode 5 or 6 and never regretted it for a second. It totally added to the excitement for me!
Aug 20, 2017 5:26 AM

Mar 2015
Domenca said:
How was Nasu: Andalusia no Natsu? Seems like pretty real cycling anime, should I watch it?

I was probably very generous when i gave it a 7 since it hardly can compete with any other of my 7s but i decided to treat it nicely because you know too well how much i as a sports fan like to complain about the unrealistic depiction of sports in anime to the point where every sports anime would deserve a supernatural tag haha

This is very different. Yeah the ending of the race is over the top but in the end, this features A LOT of very close to reality professional cycling including team tactics and stuff.

The non-sports half of the show is well done too although i´m not sure how well they realised andalusian lifestyle. All in all, this is just a 45-minute movie after all so there´s hardly any time wasted by watching this, especially when you are watching it as the Vuelta is going on in reality and you wanna hype yourself up a little lol (the movie focuses on a spanish rider on the Vuelta stage running through his hometown).
Aug 20, 2017 7:39 AM

Mar 2015
-clover- said:
Hey! I'm back! (probably. Sorry for missing that one other survey you had ><)

Anyways now for questions!

Every season there are many new anime and I can see that you've picked up some of them this season. How do you decide which ones to pick up? Is it just at random or do you employ very "complex" strategies to maximize your chances of watching something good?

It is a somewhat (but not very) simple formula as i only watch 3 airing shows each season and maybe even just two if i watch shows who carried over from the passed season like it is the case currently.

These are the rules and i will follow them in order until i have found 3 shows lol

1, Do a bit of research on every show that catches your eye on the chart.

2, EXclude the 1-2 show(s) you are most excited about from becoming a "watch-airing" candidate. These shows must be saved for binge-watching!
This only goes for new anime, not for sequels.

3, If there´s something by P.A. Works, watch it!

4, If there´s a sequel/prequel/spin-off etc to a series you like, watch it!

5, If you currently watch more serious anime, decide the lightest new candidate and vice versa to create some diversity.

that is basically it and it served me well since i created the rules in 2014. I haven´t watched airing anime before i joined MAL and started doing so to be able to discuss at least a few anime as they go on in here. So the system is not in use for a long time but so far it has led to even the worst seasons being somewhat enjoyable to me.
Aug 20, 2017 7:40 AM

Mar 2016
Do you enjoy reading?
What's your favourite book?^^
Aug 20, 2017 8:00 AM

Mar 2015
Mochigi said:
Do you enjoy reading?
What's your favourite book?^^

Short answer: NO lol

Long answer:

Reading is super interesting and basically everybody who reads and watches stuff praises the book as being the better experience 90% of the time...which also seems logical to me because while a book allows you to transform the words into pictures in your head yourself, a movie takes it away by forcing every image on you so there is no creative freedom. The characters and the settings look how they look because the director wanted it t look that way. An author does not take that away unless he describes a scenery too closely...and if he does that, he is probably not very good at his job -.-

However, i rely on pictures to tell me how things look and on people talking to tell me a story. Why? Because i have a horrible, HORRIBLE non existing talent of processing written words :( I struggle to create fitting images in my head and most importantly, i often have no clue what i read the day after. Of course i keep the most important parts and i have a basic idea, but many great details who are valueable to the story get lost.

The longest books i read anyway were the Harry Potter books. They are enormously detailed when it comes to the story and also world building and discussing it with friends was making the experience enjoyable for me as we read simultaeniously and basically they mentioned all the great little things that went on and i was always like "oh yeah" that´s what this meant" or "oh yeah, that also happened" lol

My favorite book however was Die Physiker (engl. The Physicists) by swiss writer Friedrich Dürrenmatt. I have no clue if this author is known outside of the german speaking world and if his books got published in other languages, but he is one of the most influential and well known german speaking writers and more or less everybody who went to a gymnasium/high school in Germany, Switzerland or Austria has read at least 2-3 books by him.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (130) « First ... « 125 126 [127] 128 129 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» When I say __________ What's the first thing that comes to mind V.11:- Nihaha~ Edition~ ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

SweetMonia - Jan 19, 2019

5769 by TheBigGuy »»
Yesterday, 2:26 PM

» ^Say something about the cute girl above you V.32:- Princess Lamina Edition ✩☽✩✩ ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

SweetMonia - Apr 8, 2020

5740 by TheBigGuy »»
Yesterday, 2:25 PM

» Post your CTRL + V ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

SweetMonia - Aug 17, 2018

1053 by Ichigo_Magic »»
Mar 28, 3:46 PM

» Who am I????????؟؟؟؟ - Guess The Anime Character... ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

SweetMonia - Jul 26, 2013

3509 by Cinna »»
Nov 13, 2023 5:11 AM

Sticky: » My new cat =(*.*)= ( 1 2 )

SweetMonia - Mar 7, 2015

90 by SweetMonia »»
Aug 10, 2023 12:09 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.