Forum Settings
Forums

Why are Chinese cartoons considered "anime"?

New
Aug 12, 2017 5:02 PM
Jun 2017
I don't understand this. Anime is supposed to refer to Japanese cartoons or the Japanese style of animation. So why are there Chinese cartoons on a site that list anime?

It seems like, if you want to list Chinese cartoons, why not list American cartoons? I'm not trying to start a "Avater should be considered anime" argument but it's weird that one is okay and the other isn't.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Aug 12, 2017 5:11 PM

May 2015
Because the admins of the website have the power to arbitrarily take that decision.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 12, 2017 5:15 PM
Jun 2017
@Zai That's tyranny man. I wanna be OP too!

Aug 12, 2017 5:16 PM

Nov 2011
Anime is Eastern animation, hence "Korean anime" and "Chinese anime". When you simply say "anime" people assume Japan since that's where most Eastern animation comes from and where the term originated.

This has been part of the general usage in the West for a long time now afaik.
Aug 12, 2017 5:17 PM

Apr 2015
Because normal people think anime are Chinese cartoons anyways.
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Aug 12, 2017 5:17 PM

May 2015
Kuraokani said:

Go build your own website with western animation and hookers.

Btw it is ZAL not ZAI
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 12, 2017 5:20 PM

Nov 2016
Cause my mother said so and she's always right.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Aug 12, 2017 5:20 PM

Sep 2013
TripleSRank said:
Anime is Eastern animation, hence "Korean anime" and "Chinese anime". When you simply say "anime" people assume Japan since that's where most Eastern animation comes from and where the term originated.

This has been part of the general usage in the West for a long time now afaik.

Not quite

"Anime (Japanese: アニメ, [aɲime] (About this sound listen), plural: anime) is a Japanese term for hand-drawn or computer animation. The word is the abbreviated pronunciation of "animation" in Japanese, where this term references all animation. Outside Japan, anime is used to refer specifically to animation from Japan or as a Japanese-disseminated animation style often characterized by colorful graphics, vibrant characters and fantastical themes. Arguably, the culturally abstract approach to the word's meaning may open up the possibility of anime produced in countries other than Japan."

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anime

There's your answer @Kuraokani
Aug 12, 2017 5:25 PM
Jul 2018
Ching Chong Ping Pong, Welcome to the rice fields.
Aug 12, 2017 5:26 PM
Feb 2016
Because it's beautiful, poetic justice.
Aug 12, 2017 5:29 PM
Jun 2017
zal said:
Kuraokani said:

Btw it is ZAL not ZAI
@Zaf I'm not good with web design though :(
Aug 12, 2017 5:31 PM

May 2015
Kuraokani said:
zal said:

Btw it is ZAL not ZAI
If you are as bad with web design as with usernames then no, you have no hope.
Aug 12, 2017 5:31 PM
Jun 2017
FMmatron said:
That's what your mom told me too but I didn't believe her. How can I take her words seriously when I know what's been in her mouth
Aug 12, 2017 5:32 PM
Jun 2017
zal said:
Kuraokani said:
Sorry @Zob, I have hepatitis Q so it affects my spelling
Aug 12, 2017 5:34 PM

May 2015
Kuraokani said:
zal said:
There's an ancient chinese trick: just copy the username then paste it.
Aug 12, 2017 5:41 PM

Nov 2016
Kuraokani said:
FMmatron said:
That's what your mom told me too but I didn't believe her. How can I take her words seriously when I know what's been in her mouth

You can believe her, tho, it was just a toothbrush.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Aug 12, 2017 5:59 PM

Jun 2014
i don't know why but that username-spelling-mistakes reminded me of Hachikuji-Rararagi duo (video)

As for main question, i have no idea.
Embrace your inner degeneracy and you shall attain great(er) pleasure.
Aug 12, 2017 6:02 PM

May 2016
FMmatron said:
Kuraokani said:

Yes, and a very hairy one at that. The toothpaste was quite special too XD
You are not your body, you are your brain, the "self" that emerges from within it.
Aug 12, 2017 6:03 PM
Jun 2017
zal said:
Kuraokani said:
There's an ancient chinese trick: just copy the username then paste it.
I don't think I can do that on a iPad @Zellous my moderate to severe plactasoraritus is the cause
Aug 12, 2017 6:04 PM
Jun 2017
random_asocial said:
i don't know why but that username-spelling-mistakes reminded me of Hachikuji-Rararagi duo (video)

As for main question, i have no idea.
That's not available in my country @Intendional_Bsocial
Aug 12, 2017 6:05 PM
Jun 2017
FMmatron said:
Kuraokani said:

That's weird. I didn't know she brushed her teeth with DICKS

@HyperL so my eyes weren't fooling me. Hmm
Aug 12, 2017 6:08 PM

Feb 2015
Because I can call cartoons anime.

Who gets bothered by it anyway?
Aug 12, 2017 6:13 PM
Jun 2017
_Ako_ said:

Well when one thing is allowed to be listed but another isn't, it's bothersome. If everything animated was considered "anime" I would have a 200+ list

Pfff

P.s I'm pretty sure that a 75 IQ is moderate retardation
Aug 12, 2017 6:16 PM

Feb 2015
Kuraokani said:
_Ako_ said:

Well when one thing is allowed to be listed but another isn't, it's bothersome. If everything animated was considered "anime" I would have a 200+ list

Pfff

So, do you think I care?

Heck, even if it is other forms of entertainment that uses 2D style drawings, it has s anime.

Anyway, why are there users who gets bothered by it?
Aug 12, 2017 6:17 PM

Nov 2016
Kuraokani said:
FMmatron said:

But man I don't think that would be possible with your's, due to it's microscopic size :/

Aug 12, 2017 6:27 PM
Jun 2017
_Ako_ said:
Kuraokani said:

Pfff

So, do you think I care?

Heck, even if it is other forms of entertainment that uses 2D style drawings, it has s anime.

Uh, this thread isn't about if YOU care. It's about understanding why MAL likes to pick-and-choose what series they add to the database. It's not that hard to understand.

Also, by limiting what the site adds to the database, it affects the site as a whole and by extension, affects its users.
Aug 12, 2017 6:28 PM
Jun 2017
FMmatron said:
Kuraokani said:

But man I don't think that would be possible with your's, due to it's microscopic size :/
Im still useful though. She uses my pubes as floss ;)
Aug 12, 2017 6:30 PM

Feb 2015
Kuraokani said:
_Ako_ said:

So, do you think I care?

Uh, this thread isn't about if YOU care. It's about understanding why MAL likes to pick-and-choose what series they add to the database. It's not that hard to understand.

Also, by limiting what the site adds to the database, it affects the site as a whole and by extension, affects its users.

I'm a MAL user am I not?

Are you just saying what I think don't matter?

Aug 12, 2017 6:39 PM

Nov 2016
Kuraokani said:
FMmatron said:

Ok jokes aside, after checking up your FB I refuse to accept that you were ever intimate with a woman.

FMmatronAug 12, 2017 7:06 PM

Aug 12, 2017 6:58 PM
Jun 2017
_Ako_ said:
Kuraokani said:

I'm a MAL user am I not?

Not at all. With your first comment, you implied that the thread topic was pointless or that it didn't matter. I'm saying that it DOES matter.

Also, your trying to turn the tables to make my seem like the one who doesn't accept the opinions of others if they don't align with my own ideals, which is NOT the case. Saying things like "So, do you think I care?" and "Who gets bothered by it anyways?", gives me the impression that YOU are the one who thinks your opinion is better than others.

Don't play games please :)
Aug 12, 2017 6:59 PM
Jun 2017
FMmatron said:
Kuraokani said:

Ok jokes aside, after checking up your FB I refuse to accept that you were ever intimate with a woman.

Or do you want me to believe that after seeing this picture 😂

Hey man, that was a long time ago. Why you gotta take it there?
Aug 12, 2017 7:01 PM

Feb 2015
Kuraokani said:
_Ako_ said:

I'm a MAL user am I not?

Not at all. With your first comment, you implied that the thread topic was pointless or that it didn't matter. I'm saying that it DOES matter.

Also, your trying to turn the tables to make my seem like the one who doesn't accept the opinions of others if they don't align with my own ideals, which is NOT the case. Saying things like "So, do you think I care?" and "Who gets bothered by it anyways?", gives me the impression that YOU are the one who thinks your opinion is better than others.

I wonder what MAL DB thinks that matters. :/
Aug 12, 2017 7:03 PM

Nov 2016
Kuraokani said:
FMmatron said:

Or do you want me to believe that after seeing this picture 😂

Cause you linked it to this site and everyone has free acces to it anyway ?

But well I guess I went too far, feel kinda bad about now, so I'm going to delete it.

Aug 12, 2017 7:03 PM
Jun 2017
_Ako_ said:
Kuraokani said:

I wonder what MAL DB thinks that matters. :/
I'm not getting that question. Was it sarcasm(bad) or...?
Aug 12, 2017 7:04 PM

Mar 2015
the confussion can be tracked as older when VHS still a thing and other than japanese animation started to reach america market (thanks to their lack of world knowladge, same can goes to "chinese cartoons" meme) which also around internet also starting to introduced, when anime internet listing database started to make (this not even special on MAL, including hummingbird, ANimeplanet, ANN, ETC)...

when databese being make, people who know the difference is soo few and database already made including chinese and korean series... changing the rule will change database complitely that take too much works and already become abysmall... so well, they prefer goes the way it is...
KumaAug 12, 2017 8:26 PM
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Aug 12, 2017 7:06 PM
Jun 2017
FMmatron said:
Kuraokani said:

Cause you linked it to this site and everyone has free acces
It's still not cool to post someone's picture in the forums.

"It's not cool to joke about someone's mom" - Your obvious reply

While you may be right, i was obviously joking around. You took it 100 steps past the joking line and made it awkward/very uncool.

Aug 12, 2017 7:07 PM

Nov 2016
Kuraokani said:
FMmatron said:

Cause you linked it to this site and everyone has free acces

While you may be right, i was obviously joking around. You took it 100 steps past the joking line and made it awkward/very uncool.

Well, I was actually still cool with my first reply, until you pushed it.

Aug 12, 2017 7:13 PM
Jun 2017
W
FMmatron said:
Kuraokani said:

If I bothered you enough to visit my FB and save my picture, then upload it onto the MAL forums, you should've said something. Like you said, your first reply was "cool" as in the rifting was funny and you were into it with the "micro-penis" comment.

Like I said, we were both in the wrong.
Aug 12, 2017 7:16 PM

Nov 2016
Kuraokani said:
W
FMmatron said:

If I bothered you enough to visit my FB and save my picture, then upload it onto the MAL forums, you should've said something. Like you said, your first reply was "cool" as in the rifting was funny and you were into it with the "micro-penis" comment.

Lol, that took literally a minute.

But yeah I was wrong too to let myself fall this low, so I humbly apologize for my immature behaviour.

Aug 12, 2017 7:17 PM

May 2015
Joke gone too far, someone linking his FB profile to MAL, someone actually stalking their FB profile to retort a joke gone bad...

Best yo mama joke: https://youtu.be/1N6cOC2P8fQ
Aug 12, 2017 7:26 PM
Jun 2017
zal said:
Joke gone too far, someone linking his FB profile to MAL, someone actually stalking their FB profile to retort a joke gone bad...

I never thought I'd see a 18 minute long "yo mama" joke @Tigerwoods
Aug 12, 2017 7:28 PM
Jun 2017
FMmatron said:
Kuraokani said:
W

Lol, that took literally a minute.

But yeah I was wrong too to let myself fall this low, so I humbly apologize for my immature behaviour.
I don't know if I should humbly accept or graciously accept. Nonetheless you've earned a -sama @FMmatron-sama
Aug 12, 2017 7:32 PM

May 2016
Why are people so hung up about what's considered anime like anything animated show is anime, Cartoon=Anime
Aug 12, 2017 7:33 PM

May 2015
Kuraokani said:
zal said:

I never thought I'd see a 18 minute long "yo mama" joke @Tigerwoods
The joke is actually few seconds long but the other 17 minutes are an explanation to make you understand the joke and why it is the ultimate "yo mama" joke.
Aug 12, 2017 7:36 PM

Nov 2016
@Kuraokani

If you don't feel like it, you don't have to and thanks xD

Aug 12, 2017 7:45 PM
Jan 2016
Well, because . . . I do not know. It's just MAL being MAL. They have the full authority to make arbitrary decisions & not explaining things to us. Unfortunate, really.

GigaPunch said:
Why are people so hung up about what's considered anime like anything animated show is anime, Cartoon=Anime

That's one way to see it, but then we have to say "Japanese anime" for every cartoon coming from Japan, then "American anime" for every cartoon coming from America, & basically "country + anime" for every cartoon coming from different country. So that's why every cartoon coming from Japan called anime specifically, just for the sake of simplicity. But if you still see it that way, so be it. It's not wrong.
Aug 12, 2017 7:48 PM

Mar 2015
TheServant said:
Well, because . . . I do not know. It's just MAL being MAL. They have the full authority to make arbitrary decisions & not explaining things to us. Unfortunate, really.
they already explain it like lot of times in database thread...
https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=635001&show=80#msg24064451
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Aug 12, 2017 7:55 PM
Jun 2017
GigaPunch said:
I think some of you guys aren't getting the point. Here's a simple question;

Why is MALs definition of "anime" different from the rest of the world?
Aug 12, 2017 7:57 PM
Jun 2017
Kuma said:
TheServant said:
I understand their reasoning but wouldn't that make this site one that list cartoons from a few different countries rather than one that list anime?
Aug 12, 2017 8:03 PM
Jan 2016
Kuma said:

Thank you for the link. So they decided to add Chinese animation because of their previous decision to keep manhwa & manhua in the database. Then what's the reason they decided to keep manhwa & manhua in the database?
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

207 by JessicaKari »»
3 minutes ago

» You truly don't care about anime MAL score/rank? Ooh cool, but... ( 1 2 )

Rinrinka - Apr 21

95 by H-A-M-M-Y »»
12 minutes ago

» Do you drop shows? ( 1 2 )

EverRealm - Apr 23

66 by BatoKusanagi »»
14 minutes ago

Poll: » Best kind of relationship in anime?

IpreferEcchi - Apr 22

19 by BatoKusanagi »»
17 minutes ago

» How is anime doing in the UK these days?

VeryRedBags - 56 minutes ago

1 by MeanMrMusician »»
20 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.