Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Aug 4, 2017 5:00 AM

Feb 2015
Is this a remake of the original Saint Seiya series???

Wait. this is an ONA seris, just like Sailor Moon Crystal, that means it's gonna look horrible right?

Please don't fuck this one up, Toei ;_;
Aug 4, 2017 5:41 AM

Jun 2013
I just hope it does not become "marvelyzed".
Aug 4, 2017 5:43 AM

Feb 2015
@Rafa-Dono

Oh boy, I really don't want to see another classic franchise ruinend by CGI. :(

Aug 4, 2017 5:44 AM

Feb 2015
rodolfoemiliano said:

What exactly do you mean?
Aug 4, 2017 5:50 AM

Jun 2013
JonasTheJay said:
rodolfoemiliano said:

What exactly do you mean?

It looks like a bunch of Marvel heroes. Or DC, whatever.
Aug 4, 2017 6:25 AM
Jul 2015
Toei really likes to extort and destroy the reputation of it's old series. They have the budget to make something great, but instead...

Aug 4, 2017 6:36 AM
Apr 2015
If there is one thing I am, it is very, very worried. Because, Toei Animation nowadays is not the same Toei as they were back then, and we all know how much Sailor Moon Crystal (even with its fairly decent/mediocre season 3) sucked.

I may be only 50 episodes into the original Saint Seiya but I think it's going to still be superior. I'm just wondering if it's going to be like this:

A) Closer to the manga story, which I'm also reading and admittedly the manga is superior so far
B) Kurumada will be involved in the production of it or not.

I just hope it won't lead to those similar fighting between Saint Seiya manga/anime fans though, like there was between Sailor Moon fans/Sailor Moon Crystal fans, the latter of which is one of, if not the, worst fanbases on the Internet. Most of them always think always think what they do and say is always right/fact/the truth, and anyone who disagrees is automatically a troll, not a fan or blinded by nostalgia. They have no manners and have sent all kinds of threats, are spoiled brats who are trapped in delusions that their new favorite anime is flawless and are slimy filthy infestations of some of the worst people I've seen in anime fanbases.

If this new anime ends up going bad and gets the same treatment as Crystal in terms of characterization, art/animation, and music,, then it might just end up being like how Crystal is (even with season 3), it might end up being outdated, forgotten, or not remembered in a good light, and Hirotaka Suzuoki, Kaneto Shiozawa, Shingo Araki, and Seiji Yokoyama would be spinning in their graves...

About CGI, maybe it could work as Toei's CGI is improving, like I looked at one of the Maho Girls Precure CGI shorts and Moforun, the teddy bear, actually had really realistic plush fur textures and looked like an actual teddy bear. But I don't want 3D to completely overtake 2D.

Frankly I'd say if they can do this, why not try to revive other lesser known anime, like Hyper Doll and/or Voogie's Angel? The latter had a pretty damn good radio drama and excellent songs, only problems with that one were it being only 3 episodes/1 OVA later on, hit or miss animation and wild tone changes.
Aug 4, 2017 6:53 AM
Jul 2018
Apparently its going to be a remake but yeah. Personally I haven't checked any of the Saint Seiya titles as far as I'm concerned and if this is the starting point I might get into this this way, because it would be more accessible for me at least.

Seiya-Meteorite said:
If there is one thing I am, it is very, very worried. Because, Toei Animation nowadays is not the same Toei as they were back then, and we all know how much Sailor Moon Crystal (even with its fairly decent/mediocre season 3) sucked.

I may be only 50 episodes into the original Saint Seiya but I think it's going to still be superior. I'm just wondering if it's going to be like this:

A) Closer to the manga story, which I'm also reading and admittedly the manga is superior so far

I just hope it won't lead to those similar fighting between Saint Seiya manga/anime fans though, like there was between Sailor Moon fans/Sailor Moon Crystal fans, the latter of which is one of, if not the, worst fanbases on the Internet. Most of them always think always think what they do and say is always right/fact/the truth, and anyone who disagrees is automatically a troll, not a fan or blinded by nostalgia. They have no manners and have sent all kinds of threats, are spoiled brats who are trapped in delusions that their new favorite anime is flawless and are slimy filthy infestations of some of the worst people I've seen in anime fanbases.

If this new anime ends up going bad and gets the same treatment as Crystal in terms of characterization, art/animation, and music,, then it might just end up being like how Crystal is (even with season 3), it might end up being outdated, forgotten, or not remembered in a good light, and Hirotaka Suzuoki, Kaneto Shiozawa, Shingo Araki, and Seiji Yokoyama would be spinning in their graves...

About CGI, maybe it could work as Toei's CGI is improving, like I looked at one of the Maho Girls Precure CGI shorts and Moforun, the teddy bear, actually had really realistic plush fur textures and looked like an actual teddy bear. But I don't want 3D to completely overtake 2D.

Frankly I'd say if they can do this, why not try to revive other lesser known anime, like Hyper Doll and/or Voogie's Angel? The latter had a pretty damn good radio drama and excellent songs, only problems with that one were it being only 3 episodes/1 OVA later on, hit or miss animation and wild tone changes.

Wait, I didn't even fucking knew about the detail regarding on the Original SM/Crystal fanbase. Huh. You get to see and know new things I guess but I personally thought Crystal was eh? while S3 was pretty damn good imo. But that's just me here.
Aug 4, 2017 7:03 AM

Feb 2017
I just hope they do things well, compared to BERSERK lol
Aug 4, 2017 7:04 AM

Sep 2016
just want continuatuion of godlike lost canvas
CrossAnge

Hey guys check my profile for current airing season anime recommendation (guaranteed best taste)
Aug 4, 2017 7:28 AM

Jun 2015
CG

I've read enough. Nope. not gonna touch this one.
Aug 4, 2017 8:03 AM

Nov 2015
"Netflix" lol

My curiosity is itching me. I'll try to watch a few episodes once it starts airing.
Like the others members, I'm worried about the quality, since Toei lost its spark from the old days.

I hope this will look good. But there's nothing about CGI on the synopsis. Did I miss something?

EDIT: 12 episodes?????????????
EDIT2: forget about the CG question. i misread the thread, my bad.
Salty meme woman and Touhou enthusiast.
Don't hesitate to correct my posts, my english skills aren't the best.
Aug 4, 2017 8:05 AM

Sep 2016
Rafa-Dono said:
Are you serious? Are you sure?

Well, I took the liberty of checking your manga list and The Lost Canvas isn't there.
Believe me then: yes, those OVAs are awesome, as TLC is. UP TO THAT EXACT POINT.
After that, it's one of the very worst manga I've ever read.

Funny thing. The OVA ends in the middle of one of the manga chapters, in spite of having enough lenght to finish it and the train of thought. Almost as if on purpose...
Actually I think it was. Maybe they read the next page and said:

-NONONONONO!!! NOOOOOOO!!! I CAN'T ADAPT THAT!!!

And after that, it only gets worse and worse and worse. And worse.
My opinion, of course, many LOVE it anyways.

I'll add as spoiler what exactly the turning point is:
Know where those stairs Alone was climbing lead?
not really, the battle against hades top dogs are all pretty epic, esp against mephisto
and you shoudl quote when replying to someone
CrossAnge

Hey guys check my profile for current airing season anime recommendation (guaranteed best taste)
Aug 4, 2017 9:11 AM

Feb 2015
crabbystardust said:
"Netflix" lol

My curiosity is itching me. I'll try to watch a few episodes once it starts airing.

Well it's not the full series, only the first arc (galaxian tournament).
Aug 4, 2017 9:30 AM

Oct 2013
JonasTheJay said:
crabbystardust said:
"Netflix" lol

I was told its Galaxian Wars arc AND Silver Saints!

Edit: Also you guys should watch the cgi movie Legend of Sanctuary
that should be kind of an example what to expect (minus deathmask... ewww)
BUT I'M HYPE 2017 (or 2018) new saint seiya project! the cosmos never dies!!!
Aug 4, 2017 9:44 AM

Dec 2014
The director has a good roster of previous films/shows hes worked on but i fear he might think Saint seiya is another shonen and not understand it.

Its been reported that the art style wont be the same as the manga or the classic anime, probably to fit their 3D but its worrysome. The 2014 reimagining movie had great visuals specially in the fights but it felt like power rangers with superpowers rather than something serious.

Seiya-Meteorite said:

Out of the 3 Saint Seiya projects Kurumada is only ''collaboratiing'' with Toei on the live action adaptation

JonasTheJay said:
crabbystardust said:
"Netflix" lol

They also doing the silver saints arc so in 12 episodes they are skipping all the filler the original anime had. Not to say they were bad it just seems they want to get to the 12 temples fast if this project succeeds.
ᅠᅠᅠᅠᅠᅠᅠ

Aug 4, 2017 10:47 AM

Dec 2015
Why "remake", they're not remaking the first series, they're simply re-adapting a part of the manga that was in it.

JonasTheJay said:

12 episodes?????????????

But between the interrupted tournament, the Fuji, the assasination order, and I guess up to Aiolia's arrival in Japan, let me doubt this will be enough. They'll probably skip a lot of infos (because that's what people want the less).
Anyway, one thing is sure: it will be musically inferior to the first animation.

Let's see if Shaka's intervention is kept this time (I don't know if you already compared the manga with the anime but the Shaka's sect excuse is such a lame excuse xD).

Nobody mentioned the Clothes yet but I hope they'll be kept intact this time! Based on the poster, is it me or is Seiya already wearing the third form of Pegasus? And what with those long foot wings (can't compare with the manga, it's buried) ?
Though, the 3DCGI movie already reimagined the designs in order to sell a new line of figurines/armors. So if BANDAI is still a producer or sponsor, I bet this will suffer the same fate: new designs for new figurines.

@JonasTheJay Don't you know? The answer is BANDAI. The stages 1-2-3 of the Dragon and Pegasus and 1-2 of the other Clothes were'nt ideal for toy making (less cool? pieces like diadems too little, maybe) so they went for integral protections despite how illogical it is in terms of Saint ranking.
By the way, you're talking a lot about it, but you're still stuck in both manga and animation? Too bad you can't read french, there are a few compressed archives out there of the full scanned fr.manga)

edit @JonasTheJay I see. Well, you must know about the Crystal Saint then, pretty stupid addition (who kind of reduces the impact of some events in the Sanctuary) for example.

I don't want to sound like I'm badmouthing the title, but most people LOVE the Lost Canvas anime simply because... it's good to look at. While Kurumada overrecycled most of his own ideas, Lost Canvas is the work of someone who couldn't stop making "hommages" to his author (like what you would call a "fangirl" on the Internet); not minding any inconsistency or whatever it could produce. The manga is a fairly good shônen nekketsu in itself (and some designs are pretty good) but it's quite long for a single war (it drags, a lot).
And despite Teshirogi's far better drawing skills (compared to Kurumada), I couldn't help but feel like it felt the "emotion" that the original author was able to give to his manga (even the 80s/00s anime is good at that with its incredible soundtrack, especially in the anime-only second chapter).
Rei_IIIAug 7, 2017 1:21 PM
Aug 4, 2017 1:10 PM

Feb 2015
Rei366 said:
Why "remake", they're not remaking the first series, they're simply re-adapting a part of the manga that was in it.

JonasTheJay said:

Nobody mentioned the Clothes yet but I hope they'll be kept intact this time! Based on the poster, is it me or is Seiya already wearing the third form of Pegasus? And what with those long foot wings (can't compare with the manga, it's buried) ?
Though, the 3DCGI movie already reimagined the designs in order to sell a new line of figurines/armors. So if BANDAI is still a producer or sponsor, I bet this will suffer the same fate: new designs for new figurines.

It would be really cool if they actually keep the cloth's evolution like in the manga. I still don't know why they skipped some of the forms in the anime.
Aug 4, 2017 4:16 PM
Apr 2015
@Wasshio

Yeah, that's actually happened with the fanbases, Crystal's being much, much worse. Season 3 is good to me but deeply flawed and sucks compared to the original's S.

I hope this series also won't be on par or worse than DiC's horrendous butchering of Saint Seiya. I took a look at that series, KoTZ, out of curiosity and my God, it is one of those "so bad it's good" things, it's very unintentionally comedic! XD
Saint-SheepyAug 4, 2017 4:27 PM
Aug 4, 2017 4:38 PM

Jan 2011
Lost Canvas season 3 waiting room
cmon guys its been 6 years already an somhow i havent give up yet
Aug 5, 2017 7:28 AM

Aug 2010
I get a feeling Shun is going to be completely trashed as a character as he was in the Norse arc. He's the most powerful Saint he better stay that way.

Though with that title I think it's just pandering to the South American Saint Seiya fans. I'll stick with the original.
Aug 5, 2017 8:04 AM

Feb 2015
Rei366 said:

JonasTheJay said:

Don't you know? The answer is BANDAI. The stages 1-2-3 of the Dragon and Pegasus and 1-2 of the other Clothes were'nt ideal for toy making (less cool? pieces like diadems too little, maybe) so they went for integral protections despite how illogical it is in terms of Saint ranking.
By the way, you're talking a lot about it, but you're still stuck in both manga and animation? Too bad you can't read french, there are a few compressed archives out there of the full scanned fr.manga)

I haven't finished the series, but I read some articles online about some of the differences. I actually didn't notice on my own that the cloths look different in the anime and manga :D

@silversaint

Is Lost Canvas really that great? I read about half of the manga and I'm not really impressed at all so far. Most characters just die 3 chapters after they're introduced and there seems to be very plot progession.
Aug 5, 2017 8:20 AM

Apr 2008
Whelp, I'll go for it, CGI or not.

The character designer has done seiya work in the past since as Canvas and Hades OVA (even Jojo Pt 4, Casshern sins, top o nerae), so there can be faith in that.

JONAS: We like CANVAS because its hard-boiled. The deaths are sysytematic because Hades isn't no one to phuk with.
Aug 5, 2017 11:52 AM

Jan 2011
JonasTheJay said:

@silversaint

Is Lost Canvas really that great? I read about half of the manga and I'm not really impressed at all so far. Most characters just die 3 chapters after they're introduced and there seems to be very plot progession.

i dont remember a single character that died 3 chapters after being introduced tbh, im quite sure that doesnt happen

also it has some of my fav fights of the franchise... i didnt think it had little plot progression, the characters dont waste their time fighting against fodder trash (which is something i see on most action manga like Berserk, HxH, Jojo, the original Saint Seiya an others) most of the foes are serious business an are a genuine threat, i thought the plot advanced a bit too fast tbh but hey that my opinion
silversaintAug 5, 2017 11:56 AM
Aug 5, 2017 7:27 PM
Sep 2012
This is TOEI we're talking about, so of course they will continue to milk any franchise in their barn for as long as it means money for them.

Want to know how a pseudo cg series from the conpany would look? Look no further than "Sekaisuru KADO". I have a huge feeling that's how the new SS will look. In fact, I suspect that odd title might have been the preparation for this new SS!

As for me, as long as it looks like the Soldier's Soul game (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Seiya:_Soldiers'_Soul), I'm totally down with it. Heck, it could STILL be amazing, right? So don't rule this one out just yet...
Aug 6, 2017 3:59 AM

Feb 2015
silversaint said:
JonasTheJay said:

@silversaint

i dont remember a single character that died 3 chapters after being introduced tbh, im quite sure that doesnt happen

also it has some of my fav fights of the franchise... i didnt think it had little plot progression, the characters dont waste their time fighting against fodder trash (which is something i see on most action manga like Berserk, HxH, Jojo, the original Saint Seiya an others) most of the foes are serious business an are a genuine threat, i thought the plot advanced a bit too fast tbh but hey that my opinion

I clearly remember lots of characters dying right after they were introduced, for example

Aug 6, 2017 5:02 AM

Jul 2009
Odd that this got a space in the database and Castlevania didn't...
Aug 7, 2017 12:00 PM

May 2015
Since they have Netflix on their side I think the budget will be a decent amount
"Because people don't have wings.. We look for ways to fly."
Aug 7, 2017 1:21 PM

Dec 2015
@Rafa-dono I think Brazil and the USAs have to thank the french adaptation for this title and a good deal of the censorship/localization ideas. Sorry about it. ^^"
edit @Rafa-Dono Knights of the Zodiac, the US show in parts based on the french version by the DIC company, started in the late 2000 I think. (In France, we got the first episode the 6th April 1988.)
I'm sure your opening wasn't that bad ;) :

@JonasTheJay Not a fan but I will plaid for the Lost Canvas here: it was supposed to tell a war whose resolution was already known through the orignial manga: Hades and his army of Specters sealed off, the Balance and the Aries Gold Saints being the only Saints (out of all the ones working in this period) surviving the holy war. And Tenma, a Pegasus Saint looking like Seiya (possibly a past life?) had to be the one beating Hades. The mangaka had to work with this premise (and also felt the need to emulate the original manga a bit too much at times, being a hardcore St Seiya fan).

FuredeRiko said:
It could STILL be amazing, right? So don't rule this one out just yet...

I think we all remember how good the first salve of Hades looked like, then how bad the last ones were. And this will be a Toei Animation ONA series based on an old manga, it kinds of call back memories of Sailor Moon Crystal and St Seiya Ôgon no Tamashi.
Rei_IIIAug 7, 2017 1:43 PM
Aug 8, 2017 1:27 AM
Oct 2011
Considering how shitty everything related to saint seiya have been in the past years I think a remake is not a bad idea but I won't be surprised if they find a way to blew it, what a shame they never finished the anime of TLC
Aug 8, 2017 5:59 AM

Dec 2015
@Rafa-dono o_O OK then... I won't talk about how it was better to have the bronze clothes first look like they did in the manga then slowly evolving toward their scifi style.
{shout: The design of clothes was always goooooood} XD

I found that the numbers of semi-gods or whatever became quite ridiculous in The Lost Canvas. Already in the original, I thought that 108 Specters was far too much (at least, we didng't get to experience them all, and most were treated as simple grunts).
I don't really remember all the piled up corpses, just that the manga went on with it for far too long. The only ennemy I really remember was the bird thing, Kagaho, and it is because I highly disliked the concept (a villain acting like a hero, always defeated, always coming back)

@FuredeRiko You didn't notice anything becoming bad after the Sanctuary OAVs of Hades? o_O Visually, both 2nd and 3rd Hades OAVs series seemed to be behind despite the age gap. The overall direction wasn't that great either. I thought I was looking at mere TV series.
Rei_IIIAug 11, 2017 12:53 AM
Aug 8, 2017 12:27 PM

Jul 2015
JonasTheJay said:
@Rafa-Dono

Oh boy, I really don't want to see another classic franchise ruinend by CGI. :(

If the CGI is as good as Kado, it will be great(as long as the script isn't as bad as Kado)
Sup...
Aug 10, 2017 3:36 PM
Sep 2012
SenpaiJay98 said:
If the CGI is as good as Kado, it will be great(as long as the script isn't as bad as Kado)

Precisely why I called it 'odd'. Great concept, excellent visual, lousy execution.

Rei366 said:

I think we all remember how good the first salve of Hades looked like, then how bad the last ones were. And this will be a Toei Animation ONA series based on an old manga, it kinds of call back memories of Sailor Moon Crystal and St Seiya Ôgon no Tamashi.

I personally have no issue with the Hades OVA, but yeah, that seems to be TOEI Animation's bad habit. KADO, SS Legend of Sanctuary, even SMC S3 are another good examples. Started out good, then more or less 'lost it' halfway through lol.

Rafa-Dono said:

It could easily be much better. Naruto UNS4 is, and still leaves room for much more.
But yeah, that would be incredible already. And would be consistent to Shingo Araki's artworks, which MADE Saint Seiya what it is.

Agreed with both notions. Araki's design actually gave the signature look for anime SS. Would be unwise to change that... (my major issue with LoS)
FuredeRikoAug 10, 2017 3:46 PM
Aug 10, 2017 3:45 PM
Sep 2012
bittersweetlove said:
Odd that this got a space in the database and Castlevania didn't...

This SS is still animated by Japan-originated TOEI Animation. So it's still 'anime'.

Castlevania is done by a non-Japanese/US studio. The same reason we don't have Voltron Legendary Defender or Korra here.
Jan 19, 2018 9:21 PM
Jan 2016
I mean if Netflix is personally funding them I think this series should be fine, also smart business move, as the original series is dated and hard to get into. The problem with Toei isn't just them but their shareholders like Fuji TV that only cares but having a long ongoing series not really about quality. With Netflix, atleast production wise it should be strong, when netflix joins with an anime studio just fund them usually not bad look at witch academia, their version of Castlevania, devilman crybaby and then missteps but the problem of those shows weren't really production, it how was presented. When Toei just doing 12 episodes they usually really good look at Mononoke, arguably they best show.
Mar 11, 2018 3:37 PM

Jan 2009
Rafa-Dono said:
Delayed... Till 2019.

Screw it.

where is your source for this?

and i expect this will be a complete adaptation of the manga since i heard Netflix likes to do sequels and complete stories anyway
May 25, 2018 9:57 AM

Dec 2015
deg said:

and i expect this will be a complete adaptation of the manga

Only the Galaxian Wars/Silver Saints expeditions are programmed. They will probably produce more if the internet series meets what they consider a satisfying audience.
Nov 18, 2018 1:19 PM

Apr 2010
It may not be bad, remember Devilman Crybaby it was pretty good with all that CGI and stuff, so we still have some hope
Nov 19, 2018 7:26 AM

Feb 2015
Tekakurika said:
It may not be bad, remember Devilman Crybaby it was pretty good with all that CGI and stuff, so we still have some hope

Devilman had CGI? I didn't even notice that.
Nov 20, 2018 2:23 PM

Apr 2010
AshitaNoJonas said:
Tekakurika said:

Devilman had CGI? I didn't even notice that.

Honestly I don't remember :') but I know it was good, really good
Dec 9, 2018 6:09 AM

Dec 2015
After the french dub's error (whose name has also become the US one), Netflix went further and turned Shun into the maskless (energetic?) female Saint Shaun: https://youtu.be/RNA4E3AuGIk
(it might be a fun children TV cartoon, but I don't see myself watching a 2nd adaptation butchering the beginning again without the musical and directing sense of the former attempt)

Isn't Sienna Saori's US name ?

If I remember well, you were curious about it, @gfsdfgsdgsdfgs
Jun 29, 2019 12:27 PM

Oct 2016
Lost Canvas is still unfinished an anime but no... they just have to make a pointless remake of the classical saga.
Aug 5, 2019 4:32 PM

Jul 2014
TBH as far as animation is concerned, I don't actually care. Just don't start making stuff up and changing stuff. Just adapt the damn manga xD

More topics from this board

» Am I the only fan the original anime who actually likes this adaptation?

boldulysses - Aug 9, 2019

9 by kratos_aurion »»
Apr 21, 2023 7:23 AM

Poll: » Knights of the Zodiac: Saint Seiya Episode 12 Discussion

Joycdonnell - Jan 26, 2020

4 by luskets »»
Jan 1, 2023 5:55 AM

Poll: » Knights of the Zodiac: Saint Seiya Episode 11 Discussion

deg - Jan 30, 2020

1 by Adnash »»
Dec 8, 2021 4:05 PM

Poll: » Knights of the Zodiac: Saint Seiya Episode 10 Discussion

deg - Jan 30, 2020

1 by Adnash »»
Dec 8, 2021 3:01 PM

Poll: » Knights of the Zodiac: Saint Seiya Episode 9 Discussion

deg - Jan 29, 2020

1 by Adnash »»
Dec 8, 2021 2:26 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.